PDA

View Full Version : Cutler just the QB Bears need

sneakers
03-03-2009, 12:11 AM
This was interesting.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-03-haugh-onbears-chicagomar03,0,7412783.column

Cutler just the QB Bears need
David Haugh

On the Bears

March 3, 2009

Dan Patrick: You grew up in Indiana—are you a Colts fan?
Jay Cutler: I'm a Bear fan.
Patrick: Would you like to play for the Bears?
Cutler: Yeah, I wouldn't mind playing for the Bears. —WMVP-AM 1000 interview Yes, on March 2.

Jay Cutler confessed to a national radio audience that he grew up a Bears fan and wanted to play for his favorite team. March 2, 2006, that is. Back then, Cutler was coming out of Vanderbilt pegged as the first-round draft pick he would become.

Monday, Cutler was just a disgruntled Denver Bronco teasing all NFL general managers in search of a franchise quarterback by acting like a guy who wants to be traded. Jerry Angelo, please indulge us by paying attention. History suggests Angelo will stay miles away from any trade controversy in the Mile High city. Reality says the Broncos and first-year coach Josh McDaniels now will go out of their way to show Cutler he is king, not (Matt) Cassel.

But suspend traditional Halas Hall practicality for a moment and replace it with some ingenuity. The Bears probably aren't going back to the Super Bowl by stocking the roster with promising offensive linemen with one start in four NFL seasons, no matter how nice a signing Frank Omiyale is. And they won't return to NFC elite status by turning the wide receiver corps into an NFL internship program or chasing thirtysomething free-agent defensive backs.

At some point it will require bigger and bolder moves, and prying Cutler away from Denver would be one that could cement Angelo's legacy in Chicago. Angelo told the world after the 2008 season that he was fixated on fixing the quarterback position. If Angelo really meant that—and he is an earnest man—then he must exhaust every possibility to acquire a 25-year-old Pro Bowl QB who has suddenly found himself in the NFL equivalent of a bad marriage.

In explaining why the Bears would stay out of the bidding for wide receivers such as T.J. Houshmandzadeh (who signed Monday with the Seahawks) and Nate Washington (who agreed to terms with the Titans on Monday), Angelo has espoused the theory that the quarterback makes the receivers and not vice versa.

A quarterback such as Cutler finally would allow Angelo to prove that theory. The Bears can win with Kyle Orton. This idea has nothing to do with Orton. But Cutler is on the cusp of his prime and likely to become one of the game's top 10 quarterbacks over the next decade. For those reasons, Denver would be foolish to trade him. But then the Broncos were fools over the weekend when they considered trading Cutler for Cassel, so never underestimate the effect altitude has on judgment in the Rockies.

Reports in Denver say Cutler remains miffed regardless who initiated trade talks. Sports Illustrated reported he requested a trade last month when his offensive coordinator left the team. The Bears were one of three possible trade partners, according to an ESPN.com report. Where there is smoke in Denver, there is a need for Angelo to grab a mask and charge in, even if Cutler's agent, Bus Cook, told the Tribune he wasn't aware of anything involving Cutler and the Bears.

Even if Broncos officials have repeated in the last several days that Cutler isn't on the trade block. McDaniels is said to have wanted Cassel because he had run an offense in New England predicated on precision and accuracy that isn't Cutler's strong suit. Orton is accurate too. Cassel had better numbers than Orton but also a better supporting cast. He throws the deep ball better, but Orton has more experience.

The point is, the traits McDaniels liked in Cassel he easily could find in Orton. Offering Orton to the Broncos along with this year's No. 18 pick and perhaps a third-rounder in 2010 for Cutler would give the Bears a potential answer to a decades-old question. In return, Denver would get a solid starter and enough draft flexibility to select another one in April. The best veteran player the Bears have added through a trade or free agency since making Super Bowl XLI is defensive tackle Anthony Adams.

They have swung and missed on the likes of Adam Archuleta, Brandon Lloyd, Darwin Walker and ... well, that's enough to give Bears fans a headache. But keep swinging, this time for the fences. This isn't Kurt Warner trying to use the Bears as leverage in free agency. This isn't Donovan McNabb toying with the idea of coming home with two years left on his contract.

This is an unhappy but potentially attainable Pro Bowl quarterback who grew up loving the Bears in Santa Claus, Ind. That's a small town in southern Indiana where every day is like Christmas. Cutler would be the gift to Chicago that keeps on giving for the next decade. dhaugh@tribune.com

Northman
03-03-2009, 12:12 AM
At least he would have a semblence of a defense there.

Italianmobstr7
03-03-2009, 12:16 AM
No thanks. We're not trading Cutler...

TXBRONC
03-03-2009, 12:18 AM
Things look pretty crappy right now but I do think they will get it worked out and that Cutler will be here more than just a year or two.

TXBRONC
03-03-2009, 12:20 AM
No thanks. We're not trading Cutler...

Don't you have some friends that could speak to McDaniels on behalf of Cutler? They could make McDaniels an offer he can't refuse. :D

omac
03-03-2009, 12:29 AM
Denver would be stupid to trade Cutler, and the straight-up trade of Cutler for Cassel would've been even more stupid.

That said, if they are going the stupid route, Orton was playing pretty solid last season until he got injured; then he became pretty inconsistent. Still, he definitely had more poise than Grossman. If McDaniels has a bit of Shanahan in him in that he believes he can make any QB look good in his system, like Shanahan believed with RBs, then Orton wouldn't be such a bad choice.

The big winner would be the Bears. If Brandon Lloyd and Rashied Davies can somehow manage to catch footballs consistently, you'd immediately see that offense become explosive. Greg Olsen's pretty good, and they've got one of the most solid, tough, no-nonsense rushers in Forte.

anton...
03-03-2009, 12:31 AM
now they are digging back to 2006 for quotes and thus obviously justified and amazing theories!!

they must be running out of rumors by now...

surely...

omac
03-03-2009, 12:33 AM
The article is wrong about Cutler's accuracy, though; Cutler can put the ball anywhere he wants. It's just that majority of Orton's passes have been short, safe ones, since that's all they needed him to do, with their strong rushing offense.

lex
03-03-2009, 12:36 AM
now they are digging back to 2006 for quotes and thus obviously justified and amazing theories!!

they must be running out of rumors by now...

surely...

You have to realize that not every team is fortunate to have a talent like Cutler. The Bears have been so hard up for a QB for so long that any sliver of light brings up wild speculation like this. You cant blame them however ridiculous it seems (ridiculous unless Josh McDaniels is the coach of the Denver Broncos). I think Sid Luckman still has a lot of passing records here. SID LUCKMAN!!!

lex
03-03-2009, 12:37 AM
The article is wrong about Cutler's accuracy, though; Cutler can put the ball anywhere he wants. It's just that majority of Orton's passes have been short, safe ones, since that's all they needed him to do, with their strong rushing offense.

Yeah, and its the same with Cassel. New England runs that Welker screen 25 times a game.

bcbronc
03-03-2009, 12:40 AM
cool! a new Plummer...er...Cutler thread so we can take the argument back to square one!

lex
03-03-2009, 12:47 AM
cool! a new Plummer...er...Cutler thread so we can take the argument back to square one!

Actually Orton is more like the opposite of Plummer. Grossman is more like Plummer. Orton is more like Griese but with a stronger arm.

Shazam!
03-03-2009, 12:57 AM
Kyle Orton... That is freakin' hilarious. But the fact that Cutler first asked to be traded before all this crap went down is just pathetic on his part. ?!@# him.

sneakers
03-03-2009, 12:59 AM
Kyle Orton... That is freakin' hilarious. But the fact that Cutler first asked to be traded before all this crap went down is just pathetic on his part. ?!@# him.

Orton didn't look half bad this year....especially considering he had no receivers.

ikillz0mbies
03-03-2009, 01:02 AM
I wouldn't mind Orton...just add a boat load of picks. Maybe even Urlacher...Harris too. Hester anyone?

Medford Bronco
03-03-2009, 01:05 AM
I wouldn't mind Orton...just add a boat load of picks. Maybe even Urlacher...Harris too. Hester anyone?

I would do it if we got Ulracher and a high pick to help build the pathetic defense.

Cutler can go whine on the Bears sidelines when Minny is beating his ass like SD has done so many times.

lex
03-03-2009, 01:06 AM

Urlacher has started having a bad back. Plus he likes holding out for more money.

dogfish
03-03-2009, 01:35 AM
****!

if doogie were actually dumb enough to replace cutler with kyle orton he should never be allowed within spitting distance of an NFL job again. . . . and for those that don't like cutler's complaining, you wouldn't like urlacher's any more-- he's spent the last two or three years whining about his contract, until he finally forced the team into giving him more money for declining skills and production. . . i'm sure chicago would be more than happy to unload his big contract and bad back in exchange for a legitimate starting QB that's only 25 years old, especially since briggs is better, younger, and more than capable of playing MIKE at a high level in their system. . .

pass!

fcspikeit
03-03-2009, 01:44 AM

Come on man, He is pissed off because they were trying to trade him, he clearly wants to be here!

I don't believe for a second that he asked to be traded..

DenBronx
03-03-2009, 02:26 AM
dumb article. :coffee:

broncofaninfla
03-03-2009, 09:42 AM
McIdiot looks so incompetent that the media thinks he would trade Cutler for Orton and some picks.....can't say I blame them. Nothing would surprise me at this point.

Foochacho
03-03-2009, 09:56 AM
I hate urlacher that would be awful if he was a bronco. Hell, i hate all the bears. The only good thing about this is all my friends and family would cry that they lost urlacher (he is a god here) to my team, but they could rub the losing cutler to them in my face as well.

Every year the bears and their gay ass fans over run my town for training camp. I really don't want to see some idiot bear fans walking around with cutlers emo face on one of those carboard face cutouts on a stick.

BRONCOSFREAK765
03-03-2009, 10:05 AM
This was interesting.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-03-haugh-onbears-chicagomar03,0,7412783.column

I disagree somewhat with angelo. he says receivers don't make the qb. well what about culpepper? he didnt make cris carter or randy moss.

Magnificent Seven
03-04-2009, 06:22 PM
Not since the days of Kevin Butler has the No. 6 been capable of meaning so much to the Windy City.

The mere idea that Denver Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler may be on the trading block has caused more of a stir in Chicago than the fluffy mini-blizzard that assaulted the city this past weekend.

Despite the fact that Broncos head coach Josh McDaniels has disputed publicly the idea of trading their Pro Bowl star, mere claims will not remove Cutler from the wish list of fans in every city that a quarterback-rattled franchise calls home.

And with Jerry Angelo recently proclaiming the need for solid signal-caller to line up under center for the Bears, you rest assured that the Chicago faithful will hold him to his word.

Angelo is obligated to consider all options pertaining to filling major teams needs. If quarterback is, in his words, their "Achilles' heel" under his watch, then the possibility of acquiring Jay Cutler must be evaluated regardless of the odds.

But how would acquiring or passing over Jay Cutler impact the near future for the Bears?

Compensation for Cutler?

Lets take this hypothetical scenario: In exchange for Jay Cutler, the Bears give their 2009 first- and third-round picks to Denver, as well as a 2010 pick to be determined by Cutler's performance.

This type of compensation would not be out of the ordinary for a player of Cutler's caliber, and would give Josh McDaniels and GM Brian Xanders a great foundation to build on. With at least eleven picks to work with, Denver's new regime would have the opportunity to mold the team however they see fit.

Jay Cutler's arrival in Chicago would give an immediate boost to the fanbase and provide the team with a quarterback who already has a respectable track record. But with no first or third-round picks in the draft, the Bears would be forced to neglect either the wide receivers or offensive line, both of which are in major need of repair. Additionally, defensive needs would potentially be put off until day two.

Compensating Denver with the first-round pick in 2009 and the second and fourth-round picks in 2010 may make more sense for Chicago's immediate draft needs, but less sense for Denver's gain. But regardless of compensation, quarterback is the most difficult position to solidify in the NFL. By moving Cutler, McDaniels and Xanders would potentially be digging themselves into a very deep hole.

Backed into a Corner.

So, what if nothing changes? What if Cutler remains the starter in Denver, and Kyle Orton remains the starter in Chicago?

While critics of Jerry Angelo and Lovie Smith are busy blogging about the lack of a "splash" in free agency on the part of the Bears, a perfect storm is rolling across the midwest and could hit Chicago in 2010.

Consider the 2009 elements. Kyle Orton is entering a contract year with a lot left to prove. Lovie Smith is taking control of the defensive playcalling. And Jerry Angelo is in need of churning out a top-flight draft class. Should any one of them fail, the other two could easily fail as well.

Contrast the recent firings of Eric Mangini and Mike Shanahan with the quick success of Tony Sparano and Mike Smith. Coaches in the NFL today are on a shorter leash than ever. It wouldn't take much for the Bears to go into the 2010 offseason with a new coaching staff at the helm. A third-straight season without a playoff appearance could be the straw that breaks the camel's back for Lovie Smith's job—and possibly for Angelo's as well.

A new staff could also be the ideal incubator for a new quarterback, especially given the expectations of those who will be entering the draft following their senior year.

Two Roads Diverged in a Yellow Wood...

Perhaps there is a slim chance that Jay Cutler will be wearing orange and blue in a different city next season, but he likely will never walk out of the northwest tunnel at Soldier Field and take up position the home team's sideline.

But regardless of what does or does not take place, rest assured that 2009 will decide which path the Bears will take in the decade to come.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/133728-running-out-of-options-cutler-rumors-put-bears-future-under-the-microscope

Magnificent Seven
03-04-2009, 06:29 PM
Ah, someone got my thread.

Lonestar
03-04-2009, 06:46 PM
Ah, someone got my thread.

it was merged into an exsisting thread made yesterday..

search function is a great tool..

lex
03-04-2009, 08:02 PM
I hate urlacher that would be awful if he was a bronco. Hell, i hate all the bears. The only good thing about this is all my friends and family would cry that they lost urlacher (he is a god here) to my team, but they could rub the losing cutler to them in my face as well.

Every year the bears and their gay ass fans over run my town for training camp. I really don't want to see some idiot bear fans walking around with cutlers emo face on one of those carboard face cutouts on a stick.

You live in Bourbonnais?

Foochacho
03-04-2009, 09:03 PM
You live in Bourbonnais?

Yeah