PDA

View Full Version : John Elway says Tim Tebow can win from the pocket

Denver Native (Carol)
01-16-2012, 11:06 PM
The Broncos understand all of the swirl that surrounds both Tim Tebow the player and Tebow the person.

But they made it pretty clear Monday, in a season-ending question-and-answer session with head coach John Fox, executive vice president of football operations John Elway and general manager Brian Xanders, that this offseason will be all about the football for Tebow.

It will be about not staring down receivers, improving his footwork in the pocket, being more accurate, and playing more inside the pocket than outside.

very interesting, including comments by John in regards to himself in his younger days - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_19754194

Lancane
01-16-2012, 11:15 PM
very interesting, including comments by John in regards to himself in his younger days - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_19754194

It has to be, if they really want him to be the future of this franchise then they have to force a square peg to fit in a round hole sort-to-speak. Elway working with Tebow should benefit Tim, but McCoy isn't a coach that has really developed any quarterbacks of quality, I think Denver should hire Gregg Knapp from Houston, he worked with Young, Schaub, Vick, Garcia and several others including the rookie that helped the Texans into the playoffs this season.

BroncoJoe
01-16-2012, 11:31 PM

Wait. John compared Tebow to himself? Good thing he's not a poster here...

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

dunk7
01-16-2012, 11:32 PM
I may be completely wrong but I think we'll hear nothing but positives from EFX until April. EFX will push the "winner" moniker and that he'll improve in order to keep his trade value high. Miami and/or Jacksonville will come knocking for a QB and that'll be it.

Regardless if I was Elway, I'd start working with him ASAP and find out if he can improve.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-16-2012, 11:35 PM
I may be completely wrong but I think we'll hear nothing but positives from EFX until April. EFX will push the "winner" moniker and that he'll improve in order to keep his trade value high. Miami and/or Jacksonville will come knocking for a QB and that'll be it.

Regardless if I was Elway, I'd start working with him ASAP and find out if he can improve.

You need to listen to the full end of season press conference. There first priorities will be free agency and the draft. There is no way they will trade him this year.

dunk7
01-16-2012, 11:36 PM
Wait. John compared Tebow to himself? Good thing he's not a poster here...

I do see one similarity...early Elway would scramble around for 1 minute stretches seemingly almost every pass play just like Tebow does.

Elevation inc
01-16-2012, 11:39 PM
16 games-

3000 yds, 18 tds and 9 ints a 9-7 record

im not really seeing why we cant try to work and improve on that, i think tim earned it, and i saw him stand in the pocket under center and after some 3-5 step drops and make some awsome throws with defenders in his face....let him work this offseason and see what happens.....

bcbronc
01-16-2012, 11:41 PM
Then, when asked what he hoped to help Tebow with along the way, Elway said, "Tell him what I learned in Year 10 and get that to him, hopefully in Year 3 or 4."

maybe a timeline?

dunk7
01-16-2012, 11:41 PM
You need to listen to the full end of season press conference. There first priorities will be free agency and the draft. There is no way they will trade him this year.

I don't believe everything I hear. I know what was said but what else are they going to say..."Yeah, he's no good, we don't trust him to pass the ball, so anyway who wants to trade for him?"

Like I said, I could be completely wrong but I wouldn't put money on him being the starter next year and if he is, I'd put money there will be a damn good backup or good qb prospect.

dunk7
01-16-2012, 11:46 PM
16 games-

im not really seeing why we cant try to work and improve on that, i think tim earned it, and i saw him stand in the pocket under center and after some 3-5 step drops and make some awsome throws with defenders in his face....let him work this offseason and see what happens.....

I thought he only passed for 2300 yards in 16 games. Less than 150 yards per game.

Elevation inc
01-17-2012, 12:21 AM
I thought he only passed for 2300 yards in 16 games. Less than 150 yards per game.

nope exact total in 16 games was 2850 yds 19td's and 9 ints not to include his insane rushing TD's and numbers as well, thats from bill williamson at ESPN...could be erroneous but i dont know why it would be????

1 years worth of starts.....why should we give other rookies like walton and beadles 34 starts and after there crappy 34 starts and not call for there heads, or the fact eddie has less than 1500 yds and 12 td's in 3 years? for example.....

im willing to give tebow more than 16 games to prove himself cause elite qb's take time to become that way not a single elite qb or even very good qb got that way in year 1.......

hamrob
01-17-2012, 01:06 AM
If you have a great defense and a great running game to compliment him....he won't have to be Tom Brady.

I look at it this way. I expect that he will improve at least 50% year over year, heading into next regular season. But, I wouldn't change him to a complete pocket passer in 1-year. Why, because you are taking away too much of what he does well right now.

I would force him to learn in the pocket, but also implement some naked rollouts where he goes down the field to the TE or dumps it to the RB. They need to get more creative in the passing game. I think Tebow showed he can make all the throws, but he needs to become more consistent and pull the trigger more often. At the same time, McCoy needs to be more creative in his play-calling!

VonSackemMiller
01-17-2012, 01:20 AM
I don't believe everything I hear. I know what was said but what else are they going to say..."Yeah, he's no good, we don't trust him to pass the ball, so anyway who wants to trade for him?"

Like I said, I could be completely wrong but I wouldn't put money on him being the starter next year and if he is, I'd put money there will be a damn good backup or good qb prospect.

nothing worst than a guy who takes a mans words and then tells that man hes lying because you know what hes thinking and actually saying. get a grip son. you know nothing.

DenBronx
01-17-2012, 02:37 AM
Man, I thought this thread would get much worse.

Here is Elway giving Tebow the nod and will head into next season with the mindset of him being the starter. Then he states that he is planning to work with him in the offseason personally. Thinks he can win from the pocket. His biggest fan....yet many have tried to spin it countless times.

I'll put it like this. If Elway endorses and believes in the kid then who in the heck are you??? I'll take Johns word for it over some random blogger that never even put on a pair of cleats and football pads.

UnderArmour
01-17-2012, 08:12 AM

Here is Elway giving Tebow the nod and will head into next season with the mindset of him being the starter. Then he states that he is planning to work with him in the offseason personally. Thinks he can win from the pocket. His biggest fan....yet many have tried to spin it countless times.

I'll put it like this. If Elway endorses and believes in the kid then who in the heck are you??? I'll take Johns word for it over some random blogger that never even put on a pair of cleats and football pads.

What I don't get is that Elway and Fox have been true to what they have said to the media so far across the board yet people still want to listen to ESPN/-insert sensationalist journalist/blog here- over them. One example was the whole situation with where Tebow stood on the depth chart last year. We hear straight from the horse's mouth that Tebow is competing for the 2nd string job. The DenverBroncos web site has Tebow listed as the 2nd OR 3rd string QB when the season started YET every single outlet kept saying "OH WELL TEBOW WAS SUPPOSEDLY 4TH STRING AT ONE POINT" or "QUINN WILL COME INTO THE GAME IN RELIEF OF ORTON!".

..When Orton was pulled for Tebow, Schefter said something along the line of everyone who followed the Broncos was dumbfounded by them putting in Tebow/this wasn't supposed to happen. Yet, if you strictly go by what Elway and Fox have said to the media it's pretty clear that Tebow was ALWAYS in competition for the 2nd string job or the 2nd string QB. This organization has so far been true to what they've told the fan base and I see no reason to not take them at their word if they say Tebow is going to be the starter next year. Hell, the circumstances regarding Elway's hiring were to get away from the whole McDaniels secretive bullshit that plagued our organization. The last thing Elway or the organization is going to do at this point is tell the fan base that they are keeping Tebow to be the QB next year then go and trade him away like McDaniels/Cutler.

Joel
01-17-2012, 08:27 AM
HOW DARE HE COMPARE TEBOW TO ELWAY111 *foams at mouth* :tongue:

I still say, WHOEVER our QB is, having Elway as GM is a huge help for him simply because any QB Elway publicly endorses and supports is spared fan criticism for looking inadequate in his shadow.

nope exact total in 16 games was 2850 yds 19td's and 9 ints not to include his insane rushing TD's and numbers as well, thats from bill williamson at ESPN...could be erroneous but i dont know why it would be????

1 years worth of starts.....why should we give other rookies like walton and beadles 34 starts and after there crappy 34 starts and not call for there heads, or the fact eddie has less than 1500 yds and 12 td's in 3 years? for example.....

im willing to give tebow more than 16 games to prove himself cause elite qb's take time to become that way not a single elite qb or even very good qb got that way in year 1.......
To be fair, Walton and Beadles have had twice as many starts as Tebow, but their jobs are far more complex and demanding, right? Plus, they're only as good as their QBs and RBs, and were forced to contend with first Moreno and Orton, then McGahee and Tebow. Makes you wonder which bum runner and passer will make them look bad next. :tongue:

If I were Zane Beadles or J.D. Walton, I'd be a lot more worried about EFX discussing FAs than Tebow is. ;) Royal, too, for that matter; he's already a FA, and the only thing on his highlight reel beside that TD catch against Pitt is kick returns.

The last thing Elway or the organization is going to do at this point is tell the fan base that they are keeping Tebow to be the QB next year then go and trade him away like McDaniels/Cutler.
Good point. EFX invested a lot of hard work to win back fan trust in the organization after McDumbass destroyed so much of it. Tebow helped a great deal but, even had he not, another two faced Cutler-trade would be nuts.

UnderArmour
01-17-2012, 08:31 AM
If I were Zane Beadles or J.D. Walton, I'd be a lot more worried about EFX discussing FAs than Tebow is. ;) Royal, too, for that matter; he's already a FA, and the only thing on his highlight reel beside that TD catch against Pitt is kick returns.

Royal will have lots of offers on the open market. He's not going to cost a whole lot but a team like Washington or Chicago may be willing to take a chance on him due to his connections to Shanny/Cutler and obvious needs at WR. As much as badly as Royal has under-performed since his rookie year, he is still a better WR than anyone on the Redskins roster except for Jabar Gaffney and he's better than the Bears WRs besides Knox. I think he's gone at the end of this year. There's always a chance we retain him but I think Fox's influence will tell the front office to keep us with just Willis, Thomas, and Decker as our 3 main guys then just fill the other 2 spots with late/undrafted rookies or castaways from other teams.

Joel
01-17-2012, 10:31 AM
Royal will have lots of offers on the open market. He's not going to cost a whole lot but a team like Washington or Chicago may be willing to take a chance on him due to his connections to Shanny/Cutler and obvious needs at WR. As much as badly as Royal has under-performed since his rookie year, he is still a better WR than anyone on the Redskins roster except for Jabar Gaffney and he's better than the Bears WRs besides Knox. I think he's gone at the end of this year. There's always a chance we retain him but I think Fox's influence will tell the front office to keep us with just Willis, Thomas, and Decker as our 3 main guys then just fill the other 2 spots with late/undrafted rookies or castaways from other teams.
Personally, I think we need to go after a stud WR to put opposite Thomas and put Decker in the slot where he belongs. Thomas looks like he's "got it" now, but I don't want to give teams the freedom of shutting down our passing game by double teaming him. In that respect I won't miss Royal nearly as much as I miss Gaffney and Lloyd.

dunk7
01-17-2012, 12:25 PM

Lets rewind 2 weeks ago...as per Skip Bayless, people in the Broncos organization including some of the players were calling for Tebow's head...wanting to start Quinn (if you want me to dig up the video as proof, let me know). Things can change quickly in the NFL...If Jacksonville and Miami offered up a killer deal, you think Elway would react "Well, I told everyone he was the starter so I can't go back on that". Give your head a shake.

All I'm trying to say is that if I wanted to increase trade value, I'd be declaring him the starting QB and say that I'm going to work my ass off with him. As far as playing football comment, how about I send you my protective cup and I'll let you guess how much I've played?

NightTerror218
01-17-2012, 12:29 PM

people will always be out in left field, thinking inside the box has never been a strong point for some people.

But it goes both ways too. A non-positive comment will get blown out of proportion as attacking TT. A positive for Tebow will look like he is just feeding the fans what they want to hear.

Chef Zambini
01-17-2012, 12:42 PM
no, says he must LEARN to win from the pocket!
liar.liar pance on fire ! Nowhere does there appear a quote from any faction of EFX that says he CAN win from the pocket.
and sorry, but my recolection of a winning john elway was a guy who thrived off the role out, NOT from taking snaps under center and a classic 3/ 5 or 7 step drop ! In fact, ELWAY most oiften took snaps 6 yards behind center than drifted back another 10 yards forcing defenders to beat their blocker and cover 12 yards before they could get to ELWAY ! JE had an arm that allowed him the luxury of a launch point 12 yards behind the line of scrimmage !
this article is full of holes just like your false headline !
shanny came along with a running game?
wasnt the running game the reason REEVES got the HEEVE ?
TD and KUBIAK came along, and the play action pass, complete with the ROLL _OUT, NOT the passing from the pocket revived elways football prowess !
TEBOW will have as much success passing from the pocket as PLUMMER.
the article accounts for TEBOWs running ability as compensation for his lack of passing proficiency.
WTF is going to happen tpo that after an off season of being hammered into the concept of 'remain in the pocket"
We already saw how his reluctance to pull the ball down and run in the latter part of the season reduced his potency as an offensive weapon !
ask urban meyer what he thinks of TT as an NFL pocket passer!
when he says TT will succeed as a pocket passer in the NFL I will shut my mouth !

Chef Zambini
01-17-2012, 12:48 PM
Lets rewind 2 weeks ago...as per Skip Bayless, people in the Broncos organization including some of the players were calling for Tebow's head...wanting to start Quinn (if you want me to dig up the video as proof, let me know). Things can change quickly in the NFL...If Jacksonville and Miami offered up a killer deal, you think Elway would react "Well, I told everyone he was the starter so I can't go back on that". Give your head a shake.

All I'm trying to say is that if I wanted to increase trade value, I'd be declaring him the starting QB and say that I'm going to work my ass off with him. As far as playing football comment, how about I send you my protective cup and I'll let you guess how much I've played?things do chaNGE QUICKLY IN THE nfl, I agree 100%
but tebows skill set and his INSTINCTS are NOT going to change, just ask urban meyer !

dunk7
01-17-2012, 12:52 PM
liar.liar pance on fire ! Nowhere does there appear a quote from any faction of EFX that says he CAN win from the pocket.
and sorry, but my recolection of a winning john elway was a guy who thrived off the role out, NOT from taking snaps under center and a classic 3/ 5 or 7 step drop ! In fact, ELWAY most oiften took snaps 6 yards behind center than drifted back another 10 yards forcing defenders to beat their blocker and cover 12 yards before they could get to ELWAY ! JE had an arm that allowed him the luxury of a launch point 12 yards behind the line of scrimmage !
TD and KUBIAK came along, and the play action pass, complete with the ROLL _OUT, NOT the passing from the pocket revived elways football prowess !
the article accounts for TEBOWs running ability as compensation for his lack of passing proficiency.
WTF is going to happen tpo that after an off season of being hammered into the concept of 'remain in the pocket"
We already saw how his reluctance to pull the ball down and run in the latter part of the season reduced his potency as an offensive weapon !
when he says TT will succeed as a pocket passer in the NFL I will shut my mouth !

How dare you question John Elway's full endorsement as the starting winning pocket QB!!!

Elway's threw in the "Out clause" into his end of year statement. If they move on, all he'll have to say is: "I couldn't turn him into a pocket passer". Voila!

dunk7
01-17-2012, 12:55 PM
things do chaNGE QUICKLY IN THE nfl, I agree 100%
but tebows skill set and his INSTINCTS are NOT going to change, just ask urban meyer !

The question is...is that a good thing or a bad thing? I agree 100%...I think you'd have as much success changing Peyton Manning into a scrambling QB as you would trying to change Tebow into a successful pocket passer.

TXBRONC
01-17-2012, 01:10 PM
The question is...is that a good thing or a bad thing? I agree 100%...I think you'd have as much success changing Peyton Manning into a scrambling QB as you would trying to change Tebow into a successful pocket passer.

They're two different things. One is a physical attribute the other has to do with has to do with training.

dunk7
01-17-2012, 01:16 PM
They're two different things. One is a physical attribute the other has to do with has to do with training.

The guy has been playing football for at least 10 years, you think one offseason is going to just fix everything. I think his throwing motion, arm strength and accuracy are just as physical.

catfish
01-17-2012, 01:17 PM

I don't think you can change a Tebow into a Peyton, but I think you can make him a Big Ben. Make some plays from the pocket, extend broken plays and pick up chunks of yardage

dunk7
01-17-2012, 01:18 PM
I don't think you can change a Tebow into a Peyton, but I think you can make him a Big Ben. Make some plays from the pocket, extend broken plays and pick up chunks of yardage

I hope you are right.

catfish
01-17-2012, 01:21 PM
The guy has been playing football for at least 10 years, you think one offseason is going to just fix everything. I think his throwing motion, arm strength and accuracy are just as physical.

Arm strength and throwing motion yes, accuracy is more a result of footwork which can be fixed with reptition and timing which is a result of working with the receivers, if you mean completion% instead of accuracy that is a by-product of accuracy + type of pass called, short/deep. way too much is made of throwing motion there are several NFL QB's with less than perfect throwing motions, none with poor footwork

dunk7
01-17-2012, 01:35 PM
Arm strength and throwing motion yes, accuracy is more a result of footwork which can be fixed with reptition and timing which is a result of working with the receivers, if you mean completion% instead of accuracy that is a by-product of accuracy + type of pass called, short/deep. way too much is made of throwing motion there are several NFL QB's with less than perfect throwing motions, none with poor footwork

I wouldn't say accuracy is 100% footwork but it is a big part for certain. But its not like he's new to the QB position. Didn't they try and work on his footwork in his rookie year? And did he not do any work last offseason?

My throwing motion relates more to how quickly he gets the ball out vs. the actual motion. Rivers has a weird release but he gets the ball out quickly. When I look at Tebow's release it just seems "delayed" to me.

NightTerror218
01-17-2012, 01:58 PM
I wouldn't say accuracy is 100% footwork but it is a big part for certain. But its not like he's new to the QB position. Didn't they try and work on his footwork in his rookie year? And did he not do any work last offseason?

My throwing motion relates more to how quickly he gets the ball out vs. the actual motion. Rivers has a weird release but he gets the ball out quickly. When I look at Tebow's release it just seems "delayed" to me.

I dont think "they" worked on it too much. But he tried to work on it during lock out, which he was practicing bad footwork because of no coaching.

red98
01-17-2012, 02:03 PM
I dont think "they" worked on it too much. But he tried to work on it during lock out, which he was practicing bad footwork because of no coaching.

Here is a good article on Tebow and his throwing motion and release time:

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2012/01/14/tim_tebows_bad_mechanics_can_be_corrected/?page=1

Nick
01-17-2012, 02:38 PM
16 games-

You can make a lot of numbers look good specially taking in consideration running the scheme McCoy was running and catching some teams off guard and playing conservative.

Minus last year and looking at this year.

2300-2400 yards passing
13 TD's and 6 interceptions.
BUT biggest is 7 fumbles.

Also completion percent is a concern. mid 40's, which is inflated because of a couple games.

Also his 3rd down throwing has been great at times the horrific.

You can't say run, run, pass. That is a fairy tell in peoples heads.

3rd of his pass yards came in 1st down, and well over a 3rd of his attempts came on first down.

Did you know almost 3 quarters of his pass attempts came on 1st and 2nd down?

Another VERY big concern and makes his numbers inflated.

Throwing past 10 is horrific.

If we ran a traditional offense these numbers would have not looked so good and give McCoy credit for that.

I want to see him succeed more then anyone and love his character. He just needs to work on some major things.

NightTerror218
01-17-2012, 02:48 PM
You can make a lot of numbers look good specially taking in consideration running the scheme McCoy was running and catching some teams off guard and playing conservative.

Minus last year and looking at this year.

2300-2400 yards passing
13 TD's and 6 interceptions.
BUT biggest is 7 fumbles.

Also completion percent is a concern. mid 40's, which is inflated because of a couple games.

Also his 3rd down throwing has been great at times the horrific.

You can't say run, run, pass. That is a fairy tell in peoples heads.

3rd of his pass yards came in 1st down, and well over a 3rd of his attempts came on first down.

Did you know almost 3 quarters of his pass attempts came on 1st and 2nd down?

Another VERY big concern and makes his numbers inflated.

Throwing past 10 is horrific.

If we ran a traditional offense these numbers would have not looked so good and give McCoy credit for that.

I want to see him succeed more then anyone and love his character. He just needs to work on some major things.

If you want to pull that shit, called it inflated. I will call it skewed due to high number of low percentage throws (deep passes) and the high number of drops. Most of his 3rd downs are 3rd and long. Figure 3rd and long Brady has a low percentage too.

Run run pass is a fairy tale. So is it a fairy tale that we had 25 straight drives of rushing on first down, um no. Most of his passes also came in the 4th quarter. You can pick your own stats to try and twist an opinion anyway you want.

Point is he has been bad in some areas (overall accuracy) and taking too long in his reads and getting the ball out. Ball control when scrambling. Also he is not put into a pass happy offense that will boost his stats (screens, outs, quick slants, check downs, ect.) which are a huge chunk of the best passing offenses (Brady, Brees, Manning, Rodgers, ect.).

you twist stats anyway you want and people will find ways to do it in Tebows favor. But asinine comments like his stats are inflated because of a few games. I can turn it around and say the same about the bad games against Pats/Buff/KC/Det. But IMO those were also about complete team failures, OC, OL, defense.

BroncoNut
01-17-2012, 02:50 PM
well, if John Elways says it, it must be true. I'm with clay on this one. the only pocket Tim can win from is his own if he's playing pocket pool maybe

claymore
01-17-2012, 02:51 PM
well, if John Elways says it, it must be true. I'm with clay on this one. the only pocket Tim can win from is his own if he's playing pocket pool maybe

Even then it will take a miracle, or lights out game by his defense!

NightTerror218
01-17-2012, 02:52 PM
Tebow should look into working with Jim Caldwell possibly since he was just released by Colts and he was Mannings QB coach.

BroncoNut
01-17-2012, 02:53 PM
Even then it will take a miracle, or lights out game by his defense!

I'm not as critical yet on him Clay, but I lean more towards you than I did yesterday. I admire your rigidity

claymore
01-17-2012, 02:54 PM
I'm not as critical yet on him Clay, but I lean more towards you than I did yesterday. I admire your rigidity

I hold a grudge like a real man.

~Thanks Yardog for teaching me.
Love, Clayton...

BroncoNut
01-17-2012, 02:55 PM
I hold a grudge like a real man.

~Thanks Yardog for teaching me.
Love, Clayton...

whatever happened to Yardog?

claymore
01-17-2012, 02:57 PM
whatever happened to Yardog?

Not sure. I should email him. I figure if he wanted to talk to us jabronies, he knows where we are.

Hope he is all good.

Thnikkaman
01-17-2012, 03:11 PM
How dare you question John Elway's full endorsement as the starting winning pocket QB!!!

Elway's threw in the "Out clause" into his end of year statement. If they move on, all he'll have to say is: "I couldn't turn him into a pocket passer". Voila!

Zam can question whoever he wants.

Nick
01-17-2012, 03:13 PM
If you want to pull that shit, called it inflated. I will call it skewed due to high number of low percentage throws (deep passes) and the high number of drops. Most of his 3rd downs are 3rd and long. Figure 3rd and long Brady has a low percentage too.

Run run pass is a fairy tale. So is it a fairy tale that we had 25 straight drives of rushing on first down, um no. Most of his passes also came in the 4th quarter. You can pick your own stats to try and twist an opinion anyway you want.

Point is he has been bad in some areas (overall accuracy) and taking too long in his reads and getting the ball out. Ball control when scrambling. Also he is not put into a pass happy offense that will boost his stats (screens, outs, quick slants, check downs, ect.) which are a huge chunk of the best passing offenses (Brady, Brees, Manning, Rodgers, ect.).

you twist stats anyway you want and people will find ways to do it in Tebows favor. But asinine comments like his stats are inflated because of a few games. I can turn it around and say the same about the bad games against Pats/Buff/KC/Det. But IMO those were also about complete team failures, OC, OL, defense.

Don't get mad about facts. The run run is because of Tebows throwing and for this team to stay in the game.

His accuracy, timing and throwing late, release, and throwing an ugly ball has a big impact of the receivers catching the ball.

I never said anything about 3rd and long but glad you brought up. He is actually pretty darn good even though it was not the majority of 3rd situations.

3rd and manageable situation where awful.

Tebow put himself in the third and long situation a qtr of the times, though.

The 25 straight sure help in some games and reason why we stayed competitive.

BroncoJoe
01-17-2012, 03:14 PM
Did anyone listen to the press conference? When teams stack 8-9 in the box, they're playing man coverage behind. Elway said man coverage = 50% completion is good. When facing zone, that's where 60%+ comes in.

We faced 8-9 in the box most of the time. Thus the low % from Tim. Now you can argue why teams played us that way - but it certainly was a factor from virtually day one of his starts this year.

claymore
01-17-2012, 03:19 PM
Did anyone listen to the press conference? When teams stack 8-9 in the box, they're playing man coverage behind. Elway said man coverage = 50% completion is good. When facing zone, that's where 60%+ comes in.

We faced 8-9 in the box most of the time. Thus the low % from Tim. Now you can argue why teams played us that way - but it certainly was a factor from virtually day one of his starts this year.

The reason they played us that way is the same reason they played Orton that way. He cant beat it.

BroncoJoe
01-17-2012, 03:23 PM
The reason they played us that way is the same reason they played Orton that way. He cant beat it.

yet.

claymore
01-17-2012, 03:26 PM
yet.

This is where the fork in the road is. I dont think he will ever do it. I think mentally he might be able to do it, but I dont think the throws will ever be there. His throws probably bother me the most.

NightTerror218
01-17-2012, 03:29 PM
This is where the fork in the road is. I dont think he will ever do it. I think mentally he might be able to do it, but I dont think the throws will ever be there. His throws probably bother me the most.

sucks to be you.

Ziggy
01-17-2012, 03:30 PM
Tebow improved as the season went on, with the worst pass blocking line in the NFL. He's earned the right to start next season. Elway is smart enough to factor in the circumstances that message board GM's don't think about. Then again, Elway knows nothing about QB play in the NFL so we really have no reason to listen to him when it come to evaluating one.

BroncoNut
01-17-2012, 03:31 PM

see, this is where I think you are kinda a fag. his throws are not that bad Clay. He's had some ugly balls, sure, but he's shown he can throw a good ball. would I want this if he does this consistenly? Like you, no I would not. But you've got to give a little more there I think. You're being kinda ridiculously stubborn and impatient

I'm sorry if I offended you, but that is just my opinion

BroncoJoe
01-17-2012, 03:32 PM

He can throw it. His past (prior to being a Bronco) proves it. I think his biggest problem, and the one I hope Elway helps him with, is don't be afraid. Trust your arm and receivers, and don't be worried about throwing the occasional interception.

JMO, of course.

catfish
01-17-2012, 03:33 PM
Tebow improved as the season went on, with the worst pass blocking line in the NFL. He's earned the right to start next season. Elway is smart enough to factor in the circumstances that message board GM's don't think about. Then again, Elway knows nothing about QB play in the NFL so we really have no reason to listen to him when it come to evaluating one.

aside from any of that Elway has comitted to bring clarity and openness to the team, I havent seen him do anything shady yet, I think he is being sincere in his statements. I think Elway really means what he says, and Tebow will be the starter going in to camp and will then compete same as everyone else. No one gets guaranteed a spot in the NFL.

NightTerror218
01-17-2012, 03:35 PM
He can throw it. His past (prior to being a Bronco) proves it. I think his biggest problem, and the one I hope Elway helps him with, is don't be afraid. Trust your arm and receivers, and don't be worried about throwing the occasional interception.

JMO, of course.

How many passes in the last 6 games have been 20 feet over WR heads or into the ground??????

He has improved in that aspect, his passes many not be 100% spot on all the time but they are in the vacinty of WRs. I am glad he no longer does that. He maybe throwing the ball away a lot more because of not going through progressions or bad reads.

claymore
01-17-2012, 03:37 PM

How did he improve? He was all over the map with some of his worst games at the end.

Nomad
see, this is where I think you are kinda a fag. his throws are not that bad Clay. He's had some ugly balls, sure, but he's shown he can throw a good ball. would I want this if he does this consistenly? Like you, no I would not. But you've got to give a little more there I think. You're being kinda ridiculously stubborn and impatient

You are very articulate, Nut.:lol:

We'll get to see what improvement Tebow can make in the offseason especially with Elway helping out. Unless, of course, some desperate team comes knocking.

NightTerror218
How did he improve? He was all over the map with some of his worst games at the end.

he was also getting sacked the most in the those games and being hit the most, double edged sword.

CoachChaz
01-17-2012, 03:39 PM
Just draft Tannehill

DenBronx
01-17-2012, 03:45 PM

All I'm trying to say is that if I wanted to increase trade value, I'd be declaring him the starting QB and say that I'm going to work my ass off with him. As far as playing football comment, how about I send you my protective cup and I'll let you guess how much I've played?

I don't think Elways interested in boosting Tims trade value at all. In fact he's harder on Tim and wont put up smoke and mirrors about him. It is what it is. If anything Elway wants to take the attention off of other teams that might want to trade for him because he truly hopes and believes Tim is our guy.

He's not interested in boosting his trade value because he's not going to trade him.

Now, Josh McDaniels would do that. If anything Fox and Elway have brought stability back to the Broncos.

Nick
01-17-2012, 03:46 PM
Just draft Tannehill

He'll be a project but with a lot of upside.

Were better off sticking with Tebow. IMO If you don't grab RG3 we address areas and see what Tebow does next year in more of a traditional offense.

claymore
01-17-2012, 03:47 PM
he was also getting sacked the most in the those games and being hit the most, double edged sword.

So we have a highly innacurate QB who gets sacked alot, and cant run a traditional offense. Now I know what yall see in him.

Nomad
01-17-2012, 03:50 PM
Just draft Tannehill

He'll be a project but with a lot of upside.

Were better off sticking with Tebow. IMO If you don't grab RG3 we address areas and see what Tebow does next year in more of a traditional offense.

Too bad the kid needs foot surgery and won't play in the Senior Bowl.

NightTerror218
01-17-2012, 03:50 PM
So we have a highly innacurate QB who gets sacked alot, and cant run a traditional offense. Now I know what yall see in him.

He needs improvement as any young QB does. Not going to argue that. He need to improve accuracy and reading defenses/progressions. But I think tweaking the offense to more short passes will raise his percentage.

NightTerror218
01-17-2012, 03:51 PM
Too bad the kid needs foot surgery and won't play in the Senior Bowl.

broken ankle.....sucky

Joel
01-17-2012, 05:36 PM
Well, thank heaven you are here to correct John Elways mistaken notion of why he won 5 AFC Championships and 2 Super Bowls. It's a shame he didn't call you in the mid-eighties; what might have been....

Let's say you're right and he's wrong: He didn't do better when he stayed in the pocket more and scrambled less, but when he dropped WAY back and/or ran around outside the pocket. Guess what Tebow has a penchant for doing? Hint: He took a 30 yard sack in one game. If you're going to say Elway got away with dropping that far back because he had such a strong arm: Have you SEEN Tebows arms? They look like a LBs.

You make some good points at times, man, but you bury them beneath so much agenda driven fact challenged vitriol I have to work as hard to find them as Tebow does lifting weights. :tongue:

Consistency is the biggest issue right now, unsurprisingly in a second year QB with 16 starts. Sometimes he throws some very pretty balls into very tight windows, occasionally he throws dying ducks and, far too often, he throws pretty balls out of bounds because he either doesn't see an open receiver or doesn't think he can zip the ball in fast enough to avoid a pick. Most young QBs ALWAYS think they can throw fast balls like that (Favre believed it his entire career, and got away with it because he was often right,) but Tebow, and thus Denver, doesn't suffer from that hubris. He does have to be more aggressive than he generally was this season, as Elway none too subtley noted before the game against Pitt.

But the biggest issue in every respect is consistency: Which Tim Tebow will show up next week? With only 16 starts for a 24 year old QB, we just cannot yet know what the norm will be for the bulk of his career. We probably can't until the end of next year, or longer if we don't get "the good Tebow" in 75+% of his starts next season.

JMO, of course.
Not JUST yours; you have to share it with ME. And a lot of other people, which I suspect includes John Elway. ;)