PDA

View Full Version : The broncos #1 free agent to persue should be?

VonSackemMiller
01-16-2012, 06:07 PM
Jermichael Finley!!!!! we should throw the house at this guy, he is exactly what this offense needs. a dynamic playmaking tightend that tebow need to further develope. a guy thats a match up nightmare and clearly doesnt get his fair share of balls in green bay. I think he wants to be a focal point of an offense and here in denver he would be just that. We need to go after this guy hard.

Whose your number one free agent the broncos should go after hard?

dogfish
01-16-2012, 06:13 PM
brod bunkley and tracy porter. . .

broken12
01-16-2012, 06:19 PM
Defensive tackle who can pressure up the middle......

Nick
01-16-2012, 06:20 PM
Jermichael Finley!!!!! we should throw the house at this guy, he is exactly what this offense needs. a dynamic playmaking tightend that tebow need to further develope. a guy thats a match up nightmare and clearly doesnt get his fair share of balls in green bay. I think he wants to be a focal point of an offense and here in denver he would be just that. We need to go after this guy hard.

Whose your number one free agent the broncos should go after hard?

Not just Jermichael Finley!!!!!

Get Dwayne Bowe and Colston also!!!!!!

Any of these players that are awesome catching the ball would LOVE to come here.

I bet they have Broncos as their #1 team they want to go to, Just to help Tebow further develop.

VonSackemMiller
01-16-2012, 06:23 PM
Im not talking about our own guys, of course we have to bring back the bunk. Im talking other teams guys. Tracy porter would be a good pickup indeed. Or brent grimes.

and to the smart ass dude up there...Whatever we dont need bowe and colston, Id rather bring in a veteran reggie wayne and draft another WR. Dont think that players around the league wouldnt want to play with tebow. he has earned alot of respect and guys will play with him. Larry fitzgerald said he would!

Nick
01-16-2012, 06:25 PM
Im not talking about our own guys, of course we have to bring back the bunk. Im talking other teams guys. Tracy porter would be a good pickup indeed. Or brent grimes.

and to the smart ass dude up there...Whatever we dont need bowe and colston, Id rather bring in a veteran reggie wayne and draft another WR. Dont think that players around the league wouldnt want to play with tebow. he has earned alot of respect and guys will play with him. Larry fitzgerald said he would!

Reggie wayne would LOVE to come here also!

BigDaddyBronco
01-16-2012, 06:27 PM
Tracy Porter used to play for Allen at NO, so he might want to come here.

Bunkley is a must, he played his ass off and we should get him signed pronto.

Another I have seen play well who would be cheap and could be a good option is the backup safety for Atlanta, James Sanders. He looked pretty good when he got a chance to play this year due to injury. He would be cheap and an upgrade to what we have.

VonSackemMiller
01-16-2012, 06:28 PM
ignore list time for another troll.

MOtorboat
01-16-2012, 06:29 PM
Jermichael Finley isn't getting anywhere near free agency.

VonSackemMiller
01-16-2012, 06:30 PM
Tracy Porter used to play for Allen at NO, so he might want to come here.

Bunkley is a must, he played his ass off and we should get him signed pronto.

Another I have seen play well who would be cheap and could be a good option is the backup safety for Atlanta, James Sanders. He looked pretty good when he got a chance to play this year due to injury. He would be cheap and an upgrade to what we have.

Yeah we could use some depth at safety, But i believe in Moore and Carter. Exspecially Moore. i think the kid will be getting back to making plays because he has all the ability in the world. just needs to get stronger and the game needs to slow down for him which im sure it will.

Skinny
01-16-2012, 06:30 PM
Charles Godfrey.

Edit: Signed 5 year extension before the 2011 season.

Stephen Tulloch.

iLands
01-16-2012, 06:31 PM
How much money do you guys think we'll be spending?

They expanded the cap minimum so we'll definitely be making acquisitions.

No one take this the wrong way, but I am STOKED for this off-season.

I really have faith in EFX.

underrated29
Flame me away but:

Fat Albert Haynesworth.
He is fat, a punk, pain in the ass, but he can collapse the pocket (Which we are desperate for) and he will come cheap. If he plays half ass he is still better than what we have aside from bunkley. If he doesnt want to run, fine, he can rotate snaps with Ty Warren.

Our defense only works when we can rush the passer. If teams run on us we stop bringing the heat and then they pass all over us too. So with albert we can plug the run and keep the QBs from stepping up into the pocket which they so love to do to us.

Flame away but id like his help.

VonSackemMiller
Jermichael Finley isn't getting anywhere near free agency.

How? the packers are going to franchise tag matt flynn....You cant tag more than one player. Finley will have a choice to make. stay with the packers and be just another guy or go else where and be the guy. im sure he will walk.

underrated29
01-16-2012, 06:33 PM

I am stoked too. I also have faith but I doubt we bring in more than 1 or two FA, neither being High Profile.

We have an ass load of guys we need to re sign. I think that takes up most of our spending, imo.

Oooh- Id like Ronnie brown. Good hard runner like Mcgahee, but he is kinda a vager like knowshon

VonSackemMiller
01-16-2012, 06:34 PM
Flame me away but:

Fat Albert Haynesworth.
He is fat, a punk, pain in the ass, but he can collapse the pocket (Which we are desperate for) and he will come cheap. If he plays half ass he is still better than what we have aside from bunkley. If he doesnt want to run, fine, he can rotate snaps with Ty Warren.

Our defense only works when we can rush the passer. If teams run on us we stop bringing the heat and then they pass all over us too. So with albert we can plug the run and keep the QBs from stepping up into the pocket which they so love to do to us.

I actually think your right, he wants to play in the 4-3 and he has elite pass rushers on the outside so he would see a ton of one on ones. i think we should sign fat albert also, not for alot of cash but bring in him and see if hell play up to his potential, if not release him and move on,

MOtorboat
01-16-2012, 06:37 PM
How? the packers are going to franchise tag matt flynn....You cant tag more than one player. Finley will have a choice to make. stay with the packers and be just another guy or go else where and be the guy. im sure he will walk.

Huh?

Do you understand how the franchise tag works? They would be paying Matt Flynn the average of the top 5 quarterbacks salaries, which I believe is somewhere around 11 or 12 mil.

For a backup?

Finley will be franchised.

VonSackemMiller
01-16-2012, 06:37 PM

i think we will open the check book up alot more than we did last year for the simple fact that we now see that were a playoff team trying to get over the hump now. last year we was in full rebuilding mode so i can understand why we didnt want to go throw the cash around in free agency. but EFX has to see were a team built to compete for championships now if we bring in a few more players at needed positions. and our young ones take the next step which im sure they will. its time to open up the check book. not go crazy but persue soem good free agents and lets make a run again next year.

dogfish
01-16-2012, 06:38 PM
Flame me away but:

Fat Albert Haynesworth.

http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/2530/cmonman.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/824/cmonman.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

Nick
01-16-2012, 06:38 PM
brod bunkley and tracy porter. . .

I like Porter and can see that happening. I would not be surprised If we spend some money and even get Brent Grimes.

VonSackemMiller
01-16-2012, 06:39 PM
Huh?

Do you understand how the franchise tag works? They would be paying Matt Flynn the average of the top 5 quarterbacks salaries, which I believe is somewhere around 11 or 12 mil.

For a backup?

Finley will be franchised.

Go read reports out of green bay, the packers are going to franchise Flynn and then trade him. Go do your research son.

iLands
01-16-2012, 06:41 PM
Wonder if Steven Jackson was serious about wanting to play for us.

It seems he's stuck there for another year because he didn't make benchmarks, so I'm confused by his comments. It just seems like interest and nothing more.

Our team is a dream (or at least it seems like that to me) for feature backs.

I've seen a lot of talk on other forums about us picking up DeSean, but I can't really see that being a priority by EFX and he seems like the opposite of what we want in the locker room as we develop our young offense.

The biggest draw of Eagles offensive players is that they are used to playing for a lefty.

dogfish
01-16-2012, 06:46 PM
I've seen a lot of talk on other forums about us picking up DeSean, but I can't really see that being a priority by EFX and he seems like the opposite of what we want in the locker room as we develop our young offense.

he's also worse than useless as a blocker-- not a fit here at all. . .

JMO, but i think people who want us to go after a high profile target in the passing game are gonna be reeeeal disappointed. . . personally, i'd vastly prefer to see us spend our resources to rebuild the secondary, and continue to develop our young receiver corps. . .

Jsteve01
01-16-2012, 06:46 PM
I am stoked too. I also have faith but I doubt we bring in more than 1 or two FA, neither being High Profile.

We have an ass load of guys we need to re sign. I think that takes up most of our spending, imo.

Oooh- Id like Ronnie brown. Good hard runner like Mcgahee, but he is kinda a vager like knowshon

I'll take Chris polk in the 2nd. He'll come on the cheap and he's not an injury concern

Maybe fanin grew some eyes while on IR

VonSackemMiller
01-16-2012, 06:47 PM
Desean Jackson? i doubt hell come here because he doesnt block. But if we can get a guy with his speed in the draft then that would be great because we do need some dynamic WOW factor type of WR on this team. Tebow needs his percy harvin type of WR.

MOtorboat
01-16-2012, 06:48 PM
Go read reports out of green bay, the packers are going to franchise Flynn and then trade him. Go do your research son.

Really?

profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/15/packers-dont-plan-to-use-franchise-tag-on-flynn/

Jsteve01
01-16-2012, 06:49 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/15/packers-dont-plan-to-use-franchise-tag-on-flynn/

like this one?

or say this one

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NFL&id=4717&line=226549&spln=1

weazel
01-16-2012, 06:50 PM
Per ESPN’s Adam Schefter, the Green Bay Packers are likely to use their 2012 franchise tag on tight end Jermichael Finley rather than back-up quarterback Matt Flynn.
The Packers were reportedly considering using said tag on Flynn to allow for sign-and-trade possibilities, ultimately netting them at least one additional draft selection with the counterparty inking the quarterback to a long-term deal akin to that off Matt Schaub or, more recently, Kevin Kolb.
Flynn, 26, was on the radar of many heading into the final week of the season and saw his stock rise considerably following a 480-yard, six-touchdown Week 17 performance against the Detroit Lions. He has been linked to the Browns as well as other quarterback-hungry franchises like the Seattle Seahawks and Washington Redskins.
The one-year tender for Flynn would cost the Packers $14 million in guaranteed money.

I dont think they will spend 14 million to trade him.

VonSackemMiller
01-16-2012, 06:51 PM
theres always reports one way or the other. ESPN and NFL network said the packers would tag Flynn. So ehh...Its hard to imagine the packers tagging Finley a guy who they dont even use. i just dont see it happening.

underrated29
01-16-2012, 06:53 PM
Wonder if Steven Jackson was serious about wanting to play for us..

Wait wut?

When did Steven say this? He is my 3rd fav RB in the league. I would love to have this guy. But Ive never heard anything of it. Please, tell me more.

iLands
01-16-2012, 06:54 PM
dogfish: I agree. As I said, I didn't really like the idea but I keep hearing about it. He's a bad blocker, he's awful in the locker room, he has the dropsies in clutch time, and he would be very, very, very expensive.

When the only GREAT thing I can say about someone is that they are used to a left-handed quarterback, you can tell it is a reach.

I just keep hearing about it.

I'd like to see a "receiver", but not a WR or any TE that can't truly create mismatches, can block like a beast, and has hands oh-so-soft.

What I'd want would be a feature back who can catch those short shorts, block, open lanes, and fit immediately in and offer production.

For offense, I'd like that and I wouldn't mind spending money on our O-Line and I'd probably be content to allow our offense to mature together.

I imagine most of this year's acquisitions, both from FA and the draft, will be defensive.

NightTerror218
01-16-2012, 06:55 PM
theres always reports one way or the other. ESPN and NFL network said the packers would tag Flynn. So ehh...Its hard to imagine the packers tagging Finley a guy who they dont even use. i just dont see it happening.

55 catches almost 800 yards and 8 TDs is not even used? WHAT?!?!?!?!

that is like saying they dont use Jennings who has 67 catches for 980 yards, 9 TDs

VonSackemMiller
01-16-2012, 06:55 PM
Wait wut?

When did Steven say this? He is my 3rd fav RB in the league. I would love to have this guy. But Ive never heard anything of it. Please, tell me more.

he was a guest on nfl network and said hed definily play with tebow, Thats all. I dont think he said he wanted out of St Louis or that he wants to play in denver. He just said hed play with tebow.

Nick
01-16-2012, 06:56 PM

Jermichael Finley is not going anywhere... He is getting tagged. You will not provide one credible argument against this.

Please provide any links from ESPN and NFL Network saying they will tag Flynn....

Finley is always realized and needs to be accounted for at all times playing against greenbay.

VonSackemMiller
01-16-2012, 06:57 PM
dogfish: I agree. As I said, I didn't really like the idea but I keep hearing about it. He's a bad blocker, he's awful in the locker room, he has the dropsies in clutch time, and he would be very, very, very expensive.

When the only GREAT thing I can say about someone is that they are used to a left-handed quarterback, you can tell it is a reach.

I just keep hearing about it.

I'd like to see a "receiver", but not a WR or any TE that can't truly create mismatches, can block like a beast, and has hands oh-so-soft.

What I'd want would be a feature back who can catch those short shorts, block, open lanes, and fit immediately in and offer production.

For offense, I'd like that and I wouldn't mind spending money on our O-Line and I'd probably be content to allow our offense to mature together.

I imagine most of this year's acquisitions, both from FA and the draft, will be defensive.

jacksons not a bad locker room guy, Its just that the eagles dished out all this cash and didnt take care of home first, so he was salty about that. Jackson is one of the best WRs in the game. very dynamic and scary. Puts fear in a defense hearts with his speed. I like him as a WR but he cant block. Id take him here in denver in a heart beat.

MOtorboat
01-16-2012, 06:58 PM

that is like saying they dont use Jennings who has 67 catches for 980 yards, 9 TDs

Plus, the price of tagging a tight end is virtually cheap compared to franchising a backup quarterback with a salary 6.5 million more than your all-world Super Bowl winning quarterback and hoping you can trade him...

Jsteve01
01-16-2012, 06:59 PM
Wait wut?

I heard they're looking for a one two punch with he and Stewart

VonSackemMiller
01-16-2012, 07:00 PM

Yeah most of thsoe touchdowns came in one game though early in the year when he had like 4 touchdowns in a game. Finley should be the focal point of an offense, theres no reason why he should not have over 100 catches and 15-20 touchdowns with that ability.

broken12
01-16-2012, 07:00 PM
How bout in a dreamers world, Peyton Manning, what if he becomes available! would we bite, trade tebow to jacksonville or miami, maybe trade tebow for gabbert and use manning for a teacher, i know im dreaming but most of us did when we were 1-4!

Nick
01-16-2012, 07:01 PM
he was a guest on nfl network and said hed definily play with tebow, Thats all. I dont think he said he wanted out of St Louis or that he wants to play in denver. He just said hed play with tebow.

You will also not provide a link to this.

iLands
Wait wut?

Yeah, bud. He said it on NFL network this weekend.

Jsteve01
I think we stand pat at TE. Fells was good in the run game for the most part and he caught 40 some balls for the Rams last year. We also just traded up in a draft for Thomas a guy who looked scary until the high ankle sprain.

VonSackemMiller
01-16-2012, 07:03 PM
You will also not provide a link to this.

Im not providing links for shit, You should watch tv more often and youd heard it for yourself. Go find your own links.

broken12
01-16-2012, 07:06 PM
I think we stand pat at TE. Fells was good in the run game for the most part and he caught 40 some balls for the Rams last year. We also just traded up in a draft for Thomas a guy who looked scary until the high ankle sprain.

rosario wasnt all that bad this year either, i think we need to learn to use the tight ends better in the passing game, the qb needs to look at check downs for the te and the coordinator needs to learn to design plays for them also!

Nick
01-16-2012, 07:07 PM
I dont think they will spend 14 million to trade him.

I don't think they can just trade can they? I think another team can match but have to give a bunch of #1 draft selections or something.

After looking up, They would have to slap a non-exclusive tag on him. Then he can negotiate with other teams and see if they want to beat it and if they do, GB gets 2 first rounders atleast.

No one is going to be paying him 12-14 mil for a year with their team.

VonSackemMiller
01-16-2012, 07:08 PM
I do like virgil green and thomas though. I have little faith in McCoy using them though. So then again it might not be a good thing to sign a Finley when we dont really design plays for our tightends.

Jsteve01
01-16-2012, 07:09 PM
Fox's tight ends have never been featured

VonSackemMiller
01-16-2012, 07:11 PM
Yeah well in todays NFL the tightends are major weapons. You have to feature tightends. and why would we draft two pass catching athletic tightends in green and thomas if we wasnt planning on using them? i have a hunth elway will remind fox and company HEY I PLAYED WITH SHANNON SHARPE A MATCH UP NIGHTMARE AT TIGHTEND so use the tightends please.

HORSEPOWER 56
01-16-2012, 07:22 PM
There aren't a whole lot of defensive players in this draft that just jump out at me. I'm kinda leaning toward adding to the defense via FA and using the draft to predominantly improve the offense.

Hopefully, Warren will be healthy (and stay that way) and GTG for next season. I still think we need another DT, but our best bet is probably FA. I think we must re-sign Bunk and getting a vet FA CB like Tracy Porter would be great. If Dawkins retires, a vet Safety is almost a must with how poorly Moore played this season. Carter improved some as the season went on, Moore looked pretty good in the preseason, but actually declined so much as to be benched and then deactivated until Dawkins got hurt and we had to bring him back for STs. When Raphael Bush gets playing time over you, and you were a 2nd round pick, you need to pull your head out of your ass and get to work.

As for the offense, we need to shore up the O-line. If that means a vet RT or a drafted rookie and then move Franklin in to Guard, then whatever. I was hoping when we re-signed Harris that he could move back out to RT and Franklin could move inside. Maybe Ninkovich wouldn't have looked like Clay Matthews had Franklin not been matadoring him all day.

We need a playmaker or two on offense. It would be fantastic to get a FA like Finley, but I'm really starting to sell myself on picking up LaMichael James in the draft. Gotta have speed at the RB position in order for an ofense that leans so heavily on the run to be effective. We need a home-run hitter and someone who catches well out of the backfield. McGahee can handle the heavy lifting, but we need a guy that when he lines up in the backfield, actually scares the defense because he can run by them.

Defense via FA, offense via the draft. That's what I'd do.

VonSackemMiller
01-16-2012, 07:26 PM
Lamichael james is who id take in round 2. Guy is so explosive and durable to be such a little guy.

NightTerror218
01-16-2012, 07:27 PM
Lamichael james is who id take in round 2. Guy is so explosive and durable to be such a little guy.

I put up a mock draft and i have him down at 2nd round

VonSackemMiller
01-16-2012, 07:35 PM
yeah man hes high on my wish list for the draft. the broncos have to have atleast 2 type of players that will put fear in a defenses heart. players that can take a screen pass 60 yards to the house, a WR that can take a 10 yard slant to the house, if we dont get players that can get us chunk touchdowns then our offense wont take the next step. No team wants to have to go on a 14 play drive to score all the time. its just not going to happen. getting some play makers on offense is a must this off season.

VonSackemMiller
01-16-2012, 07:35 PM
The WR from baylor and Lamichael hames are my top 2 offensive play makers id love the broncos to grab. everything else can go on defense IMO.

TimHippo
01-16-2012, 07:45 PM
Peyton Hillis & Lamar Miller (He runs a 4.3 40 for the Hurricanes).

Tight Ends:
DeWayne Allen
LeDarius Green
Josh Chichester

Nick
01-16-2012, 07:49 PM
WR is not the issue as much as the person throwing the ball. I think defense needs to be addressed, specially secondary.

While I would love to have a pass catching TE and another legit receiver but we just currently do not have the QB for it unless he improves.

I would not be surprised if we see Deangelo Williams a bronco and us drafting a RB in later rounds but do not see much happening in free agency unless Tebow really turns it around.

I would like them to get grimes or porter for the future of this team regardless... But probably wont happen.

Broncos will only get the bottom of the litter when it comes down to WR free agents as long as Tebow is ineffective with his passing.

NightTerror218
01-16-2012, 07:53 PM
WR is not the issue as much as the person throwing the ball. I think defense needs to be addressed, specially secondary.

While I would love to have a pass catching TE and another legit receiver but we just currently do not have the QB for it unless he improves.

I would not be surprised if we see Deangelo Williams a bronco and us drafting a RB in later rounds but do not see much happening in free agency unless Tebow really turns it around.

I would like them to get grimes or porter for the future of this team regardless... But probably wont happen.

Broncos will only get the bottom of the litter when it comes down to WR free agents as long as Tebow is ineffective with his passing.

Well he is going into his first off season with a coaching staff. We will see in TC how he will improve. Right now the WRs had mass amounts of dropped passes. 6 in one is NOT ACCEPTABLE unless you are an idiot. WRs need some work, we have 4 on roster, but none of them are outstanding at this point. DT is coming around to be good, Decker was #1 but he has been butter fingers and was running wrong routes in Buffalo game (called out by coach in interview). Willis is a good warm body to hope a stop but I would like a vet in his spot. Royal should be the KR/PR for this team.

VonSackemMiller
01-16-2012, 07:59 PM
Decker is a Slot reciever. Thomas is a good number 2, possible one. Thats really all we have right now. Royals a good spot duty WR but need to be a full time returner,

TimHippo
01-16-2012, 08:05 PM
Decker is a Slot reciever. Thomas is a good number 2, possible one. Thats really all we have right now. Royals a good spot duty WR but need to be a full time returner,

I think tightend is a much more important concern though. You need a big target that can catch.

And a dual threat fullback like Peyton Hillis to keep defenses honest.

Any receiver you are going to get is not going to be that good (especially immediately) that low in the 1st round. You might as well get a free agent and you would get equal or more production.

dogfish
01-16-2012, 08:11 PM
Here's a list of some of the more recognizable names scheduled to be available, according to rotoworld.

Quarterback - It would make sense to sign a veteran backup/mentor type:

David Garrard
Charlie Batch
Byron Leftwich
Jake Delhomme
Chad Pennington if he plays
Mark Brunell

Jason Campbell will likely get an offer to at least compete to start somewhere if Oakland doesn't bring him back, but would be perfect if he happens not to.

Or if they decide to bring in a young vet instead of drafting a QB:

Matt Flynn
Josh Johnson
Dennis Dixon
Vince Young
Chad Henne

Running back

I'd rather draft this spot, but we could REALLY use another back that's potentially capable of carrying the load if Willis goes down. Some vet options:

Marshawn Lynch (probably gets re-signed in Seattle)
Cedric Benson
Peyton Hillis (doesn't look like such a workhorse)
Kevin Smith
Jason Snelling
Tim Hightower
BenJarvus Green-Ellis (would be a really nice fit)
Ronnie Brown
Ryan Grant (interesting option)
Tashard Choice

Guys that could be signed as a speed option:

Steve Slaton
Jerious Norwood

I would KILL to sign Le'Ron McClain or Mike Tolbert as a hybrid fullback/short yardage back.

Pure fullbacks:

Ahmard Hall
Owen Scmitt
Moran Norris

Second-tier wideouts:

Stevie Johnson
Robert Meachem
Mario Manningham
Laurent Robinson
Jerome Simpson
Jericho Cotchery

And I'd like to see us re-sign Eddie Royal

I'd also like to see us re-sign Fells for the sake of continuity, but here are some other TEs:

John Carlson
Scott Chandler
Kellen Davis
Visanthe Shiancoe
Joel Dreesen (good option as a receiving TE)
Bo Scaife

OTs:

Kareem McKenzie
Jared Gaither (thought he was gonna get re-signed)
Jeff Backus
Demetrius Bell (best option, IMO)
Max Starks

Interior OLs:

Ben Grubbs (should be re-signed)
Carl Nicks (big big money)
Scott Wells (I wish!)
Chris Myers
Sampson Satele
Vernon Carey
Nick Hardwick

DTs/DLs:

Jason Jones
Aubrayo Franklin (pure NT)
Sione Pouha (pure NT)
Red Bryant
Trevor Laws
Corey Redding

Marcus Thomas is also a free agent.

DEs:

Cliff Avril (too pricey)
Jeremy Mincey
Matt Roth
Kroy Bierman
Israel Idonijie

LBs:

Curtis Lofton
David Hawthorne
Dan Connor
D'Qwell Jackson
Steven Tulloch
Rocky Macintosh
Leroy Hill
EJ Henderson
Barrett Ruud

Joe Mays, Wes Woodyard and Mario Haggan are all free agents, so this is an area that will receive some attention one way or the other.

CBs:

Tracy Porter
Brent Grimes
Courtland Finnegan
Carlos Rogers
Terrell Thomas
Aaron Ross
Richard Marshall
Brandon Carr
Resean Mathis
Eric Wright

Safety:

Dashon Goldson
Michael Griffin
Jim Leonhard

And I'm going to be fuggin' pissed if we don't re-sign Matt Prater.

dogfish
01-16-2012, 08:14 PM
I would not be surprised if we see Deangelo Williams a bronco

he just signed a thirty million dollar contract with carolina last year. . .

MOtorboat
01-16-2012, 08:17 PM

Massively overpaid.

VonSackemMiller
01-16-2012, 08:18 PM
I think tightend is a much more important concern though. You need a big target that can catch.

And a dual threat fullback like Peyton Hillis to keep defenses honest.

Any receiver you are going to get is not going to be that good (especially immediately) that low in the 1st round. You might as well get a free agent and you would get equal or more production.

I agree which is why im hoping we can land frinley or thomas and green come on strong next year. both are super athletic and have speed and good size. Maybe we can find a undrafted FB im sure theyll be plenty of them that dont get drafted.

TimHippo
01-16-2012, 08:19 PM
Ryan Grant (interesting option)
. .

Did you not see him fumble away the Packer-Giants game.

MOtorboat
01-16-2012, 08:21 PM
Free agent are fun. And talking about them is interesting. But Elway has stated they won't be building through free agency. I think we see one piece added, maybe two, like McGahee and Fells, and that's it. And those two signings didn't knock anyone's socks off. (Bunkley was a trade, fwiw)

We'll see some lower level wide receiver signed, that won't really excite people, causing people to opine over Colston, or more likely, Wayne, and I would bet we'll see a veteran safety signed that won't knock anyone's socks off, either...

Not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but I think this is our reality.

VonSackemMiller
01-16-2012, 08:21 PM
So where were picking were looking at DT Devon Still, a quick penetrating DT, Were looking at the Baylor WR being available and Janoris Jenkings a talented CB.

Who do you take? Id probably have to lean towards Still. Solid vs the run and can get up the field to the CB. Hard to pass on a great WR and great CB prospect. i wish we had two first.

VonSackemMiller
01-16-2012, 08:24 PM
Free agent are fun. And talking about them is interesting. But Elway has stated they won't be building through free agency. I think we see one piece added, maybe two, like McGahee and Fells, and that's it. And those two signings didn't knock anyone's socks off. (Bunkley was a trade, fwiw)

We'll see some lower level wide receiver signed, that won't really excite people, causing people to opine over Colston, or more likely, Wayne, and I would bet we'll see a veteran safety signed that won't knock anyone's socks off, either...

That was last year....Sititng back looking at a team thinking were in full rebuilding mode. A year later changes things. Were not a playoff team trying to get over the hump. Nobody said go sign 10 free agents throwing cash around wreckless. But if we can add some free agents that are 24-26 who are still young and will be around for our building process then you have to go get them if your serious about winning. I thinkw ere serious about winning now unlike last off season

TimHippo
01-16-2012, 08:26 PM
I agree which is why im hoping we can land frinley or thomas and green come on strong next year. both are super athletic and have speed and good size. Maybe we can find a undrafted FB im sure theyll be plenty of them that dont get drafted.

I don't see Jermichael leaving Green Bay. He's too big a part of their offense. That's why I think you have to draft a tight end and also hope thomas or green pan out.

MOtorboat
01-16-2012, 08:28 PM
That was last year....Sititng back looking at a team thinking were in full rebuilding mode. A year later changes things. Were not a playoff team trying to get over the hump. Nobody said go sign 10 free agents throwing cash around wreckless. But if we can add some free agents that are 24-26 who are still young and will be around for our building process then you have to go get them if your serious about winning. I thinkw ere serious about winning now unlike last off season

No, it's an organizational philosophy that wins.

And it's one Elway professed constantly last offseason, and it will most likely the same this year.

And I agree with it.

Ziggy
01-16-2012, 08:29 PM
So where were picking were looking at DT Devon Still, a quick penetrating DT, Were looking at the Baylor WR being available and Janoris Jenkings a talented CB.

Who do you take? Id probably have to lean towards Still. Solid vs the run and can get up the field to the CB. Hard to pass on a great WR and great CB prospect. i wish we had two first.

Devin Still will be gone by the time we pick, and EFX isn't going to spend a first round pick on a guy with major character issues.

NightTerror218
01-16-2012, 08:32 PM
Devin Still will be gone by the time we pick, and EFX isn't going to spend a first round pick on a guy with major character issues.

they could depending on location in draft and talent. Also depends on interview and whether he will be coach-able.

VonSackemMiller
01-16-2012, 08:35 PM
So we wont spend a 25th overall pick on still but some team picking way ahead of us will? What character issues does still have anyway?

VonSackemMiller
01-16-2012, 08:37 PM
No, it's an organizational philosophy that wins.

And it's one Elway professed constantly last offseason, and it will most likely the same this year.

And I agree with it.

Again LAST YEAR is the key, we was in full rebuilding mode, I highly doubt elway getting a taste of the afc west crown and a playoff win will make him remain conservative this off season. I can understand elways comments last year. he was expecting to go 3-13,

dogfish
01-16-2012, 08:43 PM

most likely. . .

they're going to have to make some moves, though. . . we have a lot of spots in serious question, particularly when you look at how many pending FAs we have ourselves (prater, woodyard, fells, haggan, mays, royal, bunkley, quinn and hunter off the top of my head). . . and dawk potentially retiring. . .

we can't fill all our holes through the draft in one year, and the full salary floor takes effect in the 2013 season. . . they're going to have to spend SOME money whether they like it or not. . .

i do agree with you that most of it will likely come in the form of mid-level guys and re-signing some of our own. . . they may decide to go after one "splash" signing in the secondary, given that the cap space will have to be used by next year, but i won't be shocked if we don't land anyone. . . mostly because we apparently don't give out signing bonuses anymore. . .

i do hope bowlen and ellis don't plan to just rest on their laurels for a year until the cap floor increases, although i'm not holding my breath. . .

MOtorboat
01-16-2012, 08:45 PM
Again LAST YEAR is the key, we was in full rebuilding mode, I highly doubt elway getting a taste of the afc west crown and a playoff win will make him remain conservative this off season. I can understand elways comments last year. he was expecting to go 3-13,

No, he's talking about building a franchise in a smaller, less attractive market, with less cash on hand than some other organizations. He wants to build through the draft, not FA. It's a smart move, and an intelligent organizational philosophy. It's not just about going for wins this year or next, it's about building stability in the long run.

Now don't get too upset when the FAs you want don't get signed.

NightTerror218
01-16-2012, 08:47 PM
most likely. . .

they're going to have to make some moves, though. . . we have a lot of spots in serious question, particularly when you look at how many pending FAs we have ourselves (prater, woodyard, fells, haggan, mays, royal, bunkley, quinn and hunter off the top of my head). . . and dawk potentially retiring. . .

we can't fill all our holes through the draft in one year, and the full salary floor takes effect in the 2013 season. . . they're going to have to spend SOME money whether they like it or not. . .

i do agree with you that most of it will likely come in the form of mid-level guys and re-signing some of our own. . . they may decide to go after one "splash" signing in the secondary, given that the cap space will have to be used by next year, but i won't be shocked if we don't land anyone. . . mostly because we apparently don't give out signing bonuses anymore. . .

i do hope bowlen and ellis don't plan to just rest on their laurels for a year until the cap floor increases, although i'm not holding my breath. . .

resign our LBs except for mays and bunkley. Draft one of the scary ILB and add some OL/DL depth via FA. Maybe add some vets to offense.

NightTerror218
01-16-2012, 08:48 PM
Carl Nicks would be my number one.

dogfish
01-16-2012, 08:50 PM

what, you don't think jordan babineaux and patrick crayton are big on his list?

:heh:

Ziggy
01-16-2012, 08:51 PM
So we wont spend a 25th overall pick on still but some team picking way ahead of us will? What character issues does still have anyway?

Who said that Still has character issues?

SR
01-16-2012, 08:53 PM
ignore list time for another troll.

And you're another guy who gets his signing ideas off of Madden video games...

Lancane
01-16-2012, 10:52 PM
They're priority should be re-signing Brodrick Bunkley, Daniel Fells, Matt Prater and Britton Colquitt above all others.

Eddie Royal, Chris Clark, Matt Willis, Jason Hunter, Marcus Thomas and Joe Mays will have consideration early on IMHO. I believe we'll lose Royal though, I believe he wants to be a starting wideout and he's a dangerous kick returner, I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up in Chicago or San Diego. They'll likely re-ink Clark, Hunter and Willis, Mays will demand a bigger contract which will give the team pause and the same for Thomas who started for a second straight season in Denver and the team will have to weigh in whether or not either is worth it.

They need to focus on some of their weaknesses as well, if they focus on wide receiver and linebacker in free agency it allows them some freedom with the draft. I would like to see them add Robert Meachum (NO), Anthony Gonzalez (IND), Dan Connor (CAR), Michael Bush (Oak), Red Bryant (SEA), Brian Iwuh (CHI) and William Middleton (JAC), only two or three are starter capable, but the rest is solid depth.

HORSEPOWER 56
01-16-2012, 10:59 PM
I would like to see them add Robert Meachum (NO), Anthony Gonzalez (IND), Dan Connor (CAR), Michael Bush (Oak), Red Bryant (SEA), Brian Iwuh (CHI) and William Middleton (JAC), only two or three are starter capable, but the rest is solid depth.

I have no problem with most of your list, but Gonzalez? What is he going to do besides keep Knowshon company nursing injuries on the bench? The dude is a walking injury bug. He's not even the #3 in Indy and hasn't been since his first season. Why on earth would you want him of all the potentially available FAs?

Are you an Ohio State homer or something? If you're just yearning for an Ohio State bust, we could could just go after Robiskie... he actually is healthy enough to suit up sometimes.

dogfish
01-16-2012, 11:05 PM
lol. . . our FO likes guys that are hurt a lot, you can get 'em cheap. . .

:heh:

Lancane
01-16-2012, 11:28 PM
I have no problem with most of your list, but Gonzalez? What is he going to do besides keep Knowshon company nursing injuries on the bench? The dude is a walking injury bug. He's not even the #3 in Indy and hasn't been since his first season. Why on earth would you want him of all the potentially available FAs?

Are you an Ohio State homer or something? If you're just yearning for an Ohio State bust, we could could just go after Robiskie... he actually is healthy enough to suit up sometimes.

HP, I'm a Michigan State alumnus, so come on. I think Gonzalez while injury prone brings depth and can add some experience in the stable should we need it and also on certain four and five wide sets he'll be an asset, and he'll come rather cheap due to his injury issues, not to mention he stated that he has much to prove and players like that usually have a chip on their shoulders and something to prove.

Nick
01-16-2012, 11:37 PM
They're priority should be re-signing Brodrick Bunkley, Daniel Fells, Matt Prater and Britton Colquitt above all others.

Eddie Royal, Chris Clark, Matt Willis, Jason Hunter, Marcus Thomas and Joe Mays will have consideration early on IMHO. I believe we'll lose Royal though, I believe he wants to be a starting wideout and he's a dangerous kick returner, I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up in Chicago or San Diego. They'll likely re-ink Clark, Hunter and Willis, Mays will demand a bigger contract which will give the team pause and the same for Thomas who started for a second straight season in Denver and the team will have to weigh in whether or not either is worth it.

They need to focus on some of their weaknesses as well, if they focus on wide receiver and linebacker in free agency it allows them some freedom with the draft. I would like to see them add Robert Meachum (NO), Anthony Gonzalez (IND), Dan Connor (CAR), Michael Bush (Oak), Red Bryant (SEA), Brian Iwuh (CHI) and William Middleton (JAC), only two or three are starter capable, but the rest is solid depth.

You had me at re-signing Brodrick Bunkley, Daniel Fells, Matt Prater and Britton Colquitt above all others

One of my buddies in Cali mentioned if a team signs bush they are granted a 1st and 3rd because is restricted I believe. I liked Bush a lot coming out of school and wanted us to draft him.

Man Saints are going to get picked apart with Brees getting tagged.

As far as Eddie Royal, He is going to be just like desean Jackson for another team and going to have 1300 yards watch.

Nick
01-16-2012, 11:41 PM
No, he's talking about building a franchise in a smaller, less attractive market, with less cash on hand than some other organizations. He wants to build through the draft, not FA. It's a smart move, and an intelligent organizational philosophy. It's not just about going for wins this year or next, it's about building stability in the long run.

As long as your not a yankees fan, watch Moneyball if you haven't seen it. Awesome movie.

Lancane
01-16-2012, 11:43 PM
You had me at re-signing Brodrick Bunkley, Daniel Fells, Matt Prater and Britton Colquitt above all others

One of my buddies in Cali mentioned if a team signs bush they are granted a 1st and 3rd because is restricted I believe. I liked Bush a lot coming out of school and wanted us to draft him.

Man Saints are going to get picked apart with Brees getting tagged.

As far as Eddie Royal, He is going to be just like desean Jackson for another team and going to have 1300 yards watch.

Bush isn't a restricted free agent Nick, he's simply a free agent, unless Oakland places a first round tag on him, which would be idiotic, it forces them to pay him top dollar for the season because no one will bite for a first and third on a backup tailback.

Nick
01-16-2012, 11:45 PM

I never saw that... little to much imo :lol:

Nick
01-16-2012, 11:48 PM
Bush isn't a restricted free agent Nick, he's simply a free agent, unless Oakland places a first round tag on him, which would be idiotic, it forces them to pay him top dollar for the season because no one will bite for a first and third on a backup tailback.

Your right, looked it up and looks like last year he was restricted free agent. Man I am one year off today. :lol:

tomjonesrocks
01-17-2012, 12:17 AM
Yawn. Free Agency.

This team will sit on the sidelines and watch the top 15-20 players signed all over the league. Then they will sift through what they consider to be the best of the scraps remaining. This will be spun as prudent business.

I'm sick of getting my hopes up in free agency. We'll sign 12 guys that look to be near worthless and a couple of them might pan out better than expected and the rest will prove to be as worthless as they seemed. It's impossible to know who those guys 1-2 gems of the castoffs will be right now.

Nick
01-17-2012, 12:20 AM
Yawn. Free Agency.

This team will sit on the sidelines and watch the top 15-20 players signed all over the league. Then they will sift through what they consider to be the best of the scraps remaining. This will be spun as prudent business.

I'm sick of getting my hopes up in free agency. We'll sign 12 guys that look to be near worthless and a couple of them might pan out better than expected and the rest will prove to be as worthless as they seemed. It's impossible to know who those guys 1-2 gems of the castoffs will be right now.

Sadly, That is exactly how it is going to be. :lol:

dogfish
01-17-2012, 12:25 AM
Yawn. Free Agency.

well if you understand how our miserly FO does business, why are you still getting your hopes up?

:laugh:

hamrob
01-17-2012, 01:12 AM
Here is are some list(s) of free agents:

http://nfltraderumors.co/2012-nfl-free-agents/

http://www.footballsfuture.com/freeagents.html

sneakers
01-17-2012, 02:28 AM
Babe Laufenburg.

DenBronx
01-17-2012, 02:50 AM
I'll get flammed but I think C. Finnegann would be a good pickup and not too pricey. He's scrappy and has a mean streak.

Possibly Reggie Nelson or Griffin from Tenn. Maybe Landry from Wash.

Whatever happens, I would just like to see us solidify this defense more than anything.

The one guy on offense I would like would maybe be Vincent Jackson. Him on the other side of Thomas would be a matchup problem for anyone. Then let Decker concentrate more on the slot.

I wish we had a Sproles on this team. Tebow really needs someone he can dump a quick pass off to that is always a threat to take it to the house. It would make the defenses reconsider stacking 8 or 9 in the box. It would really open things up. Maybe we could make a move for Harvin?

And really a pass catching TE. There are alot of them that are hitting the market this offseason. This must be a priority!

SECOBroncosFan
01-17-2012, 03:24 AM

Talk today was that they are gonna tag Finley and let Flynn walk if there is a better offer. I think Schefter reported that, but I will try to find the quote

Lancane
01-17-2012, 08:32 AM
Yawn. Free Agency.

I think we'll be more active this year, we have only a handful of draft picks and a good number of free agents, which includes most of our offensive line, linebacker and wide receiver depth, not to mention a good number of starters...Denver can ill afford to take a backseat and not improve, if this team regresses then it will bode ill for the front office.

CoachChaz
01-17-2012, 08:50 AM
I think we'll be more active this year, we have only a handful of draft picks and a good number of free agents, which includes most of our offensive line, linebacker and wide receiver depth, not to mention a good number of starters...Denver can ill afford to take a backseat and not improve, if this team regresses then it will bode ill for the front office.

I agree with this. In addition to the reasons listed...keep in mind that we just had a very emotional season that resulted in a home playoff win. Bowlen and Co. cannot look at the coming schedule and think they can stand pat with gap fillers and rookies and expect to repeat...let alone improve.

The fanbase has the taste of playoffs in their mouth again and the organization needs to satiate that or feel the repercussions. At the end of the day, it is...if nothing else...a wise business decision to improve the team as much as possible this off-season

SOCALORADO.
01-17-2012, 08:56 AM
I agree with this. In addition to the reasons listed...keep in mind that we just had a very emotional season that resulted in a home playoff win. Bowlen and Co. cannot look at the coming schedule and think they can stand pat with gap fillers and rookies and expect to repeat...let alone improve.

The fanbase has the taste of playoffs in their mouth again and the organization needs to satiate that or feel the repercussions. At the end of the day, it is...if nothing else...a wise business decision to improve the team as much as possible this off-season

Agreed. Bowlen will now open the checkbook. Fox and Co has more than proven they can get results.
I think DEN No.1 priority is signing Nicks. Kupe returns and suddenly DEN O-line is looking real good.
TT needs some time in the pocket if hes going to take the next step. Oh, and a deep threat wouldnt hurt either.
A burner that opposing teams will have to account for.

OG Carl Nicks
WR Vincent Jackson/Marques Colston (either)
MLB Dan Connor

Draft a CB/DT/RB in that order.

CoachChaz
01-17-2012, 08:58 AM
Agreed. Bowlen will now open the checkbook. Fox and Co has more than proven they can get results.
Wishlist

OG Carl Nicks
MLB Dan Connor

My FA ideas/draft would be a bit different, but helping the team in FA is definitely a must

Lancane
01-17-2012, 10:03 AM
I think DEN No.1 priority is signing Nicks. Kupe returns and suddenly DEN O-line is looking real good.
TT needs some time in the pocket if hes going to take the next step. Oh, and a deep threat wouldnt hurt either.
A burner that opposing teams will have to account for.

OG Carl Nicks
MLB Dan Connor

If San Diego parts with Jackson, then we have a pretty good shot at landing him, being his hometown and all, but that is a big 'If' right now. Dan Connor did a great job for the Panthers this season and he's fourth on the depth chart, he should be a primary target for Denver to replace Mays, who while good is lackluster. Not sure about Nicks, only because I think Denver will be looking for more depth regarding the offensive line compared to starters.

Joel
01-17-2012, 04:50 PM
There aren't a whole lot of defensive players in this draft that just jump out at me. I'm kinda leaning toward adding to the defense via FA and using the draft to predominantly improve the offense.

Hopefully, Warren will be healthy (and stay that way) and GTG for next season. I still think we need another DT, but our best bet is probably FA. I think we must re-sign Bunk and getting a vet FA CB like Tracy Porter would be great. If Dawkins retires, a vet Safety is almost a must with how poorly Moore played this season. Carter improved some as the season went on, Moore looked pretty good in the preseason, but actually declined so much as to be benched and then deactivated until Dawkins got hurt and we had to bring him back for STs. When Raphael Bush gets playing time over you, and you were a 2nd round pick, you need to pull your head out of your ass and get to work.

As for the offense, we need to shore up the O-line. If that means a vet RT or a drafted rookie and then move Franklin in to Guard, then whatever. I was hoping when we re-signed Harris that he could move back out to RT and Franklin could move inside. Maybe Ninkovich wouldn't have looked like Clay Matthews had Franklin not been matadoring him all day.

We need a playmaker or two on offense. It would be fantastic to get a FA like Finley, but I'm really starting to sell myself on picking up LaMichael James in the draft. Gotta have speed at the RB position in order for an ofense that leans so heavily on the run to be effective. We need a home-run hitter and someone who catches well out of the backfield. McGahee can handle the heavy lifting, but we need a guy that when he lines up in the backfield, actually scares the defense because he can run by them.

Defense via FA, offense via the draft. That's what I'd do.
I'm taking a different and admittedly more simplistic view: The sheer volume of young players we're (hopefully) developing now inclines me to seek immediate contributors in both the draft and free agency. Some positions (e.g. QB) take longer to season than others (e.g. RB) and I would draft and sign free agents accordingly. In some cases, I fear we must soon face the reality that young players are unlikely to EVER develop into quality performers. Gotta love the NFL, one of the few places a 23 year old can get a six figure entry level job with a 2 (or 3) year probationary period. :tongue:

most likely. . .

That would be disappointing, particularly since I've heard (but not confirmed) we have a pretty significant amount of cap room at present and, as you say, far too many holes to fill with the draft alone.

A lot depends on what's available both at our draft position and in free agency, and I really don't know the answer in either case. I know our secondary is total Swiss cheese right now and am 99% certain our 38 year old free safety with the neck injury that kept him out of our last 5 games will NOT return. Harris looks promising but would still leave us with two big holes; signing or drafting a stud shutdown corner under 30 would allow us to move Champ to FS as he's slowing down, replace Goodman with Harris (he CAN'T be any worse) and improve three positions by adding one player. Since our first place finish in the West means we must play New England next year AND Houston, plus facing the AFC South puts us up against Brees in NO and Julio Jones in Atlanta, that approach seems very sound. Unless there's a sure fire star CB available at our #24 we should probably try to find a free agent, even if it's expensive.

If a stud MLB is available in free agency I think we'd have to pursue him, because Mays has faded from (positive) prominence as the season progressed, we still don't know what we have with Irving and any defence that has a rookie or second year player calling its defensive audibles is in trouble. The complexity and versatility demanded of the MLB spot makes it difficult for a rookie to truly dominate, and thus argues for acquiring a free agent starter, then hoping the young LBs we have will produce a polished MLB in the next couple years. If we re-sign Haggan and Woodyard behind Miller and DJ I'm quite content with our OLBs.

I don't think we're in bad shape at DT provided we sign Bunkley and everyone is healthy to start next year; I would not object to acquiring another DT with promise, but probably wouldn't seek one in free agency. We have McBean, Hunter and a few other DTs who are at least decent when healthy, and DT is not a position with a five year learning curve; unless we draft a true bust we should be able to get an adequate one that way. I'm happy with Ayers and Doom right now, so any DE I got would be for depth; he could be acquired through free agency if not too costly, but as easily drafted.

On the line, a lot depends on whether Ryan Harris can stay healthy and Clady's drop off this year has been solely due to playing on a leg injured in preseason from which he'll be recovered next year. However, two full years of inconsistent play from Beadles and Walton have convinced me they will never be more than depth players, and combined with Kupers injury that leaves with a grand total of 0 good guards. Here, too, it might be worthwhile to sign a quality free agent AND draft an early round stud. If we can't keep Harris as an every game starter and/or Franklin doesn't learn his job in the offseason we'll need a RT, and the day one starters go early in the draft, so we may be forced to turn to free agency there. As HP notes, Ninkovich destroyed us twice this year; I'd like to be prepared when we face him next year.

Wide receivers supposedly take time to develop (though I can think of many who have not; the aforementioned Julio Jones is a good example) and I think we need a legit #2 to prevent defences shutting down our passing attack by simply double covering Thomas. The volume of veteran NFL receivers makes it a given that several good ones will be available as free agents, and I hope we sign one; it's a pity we didn't KEEP a few of them rather than fretting over paying them next year, since now we must pay someone else instead.

I would definitely like, and expect, a veteran QB as insurance against Tebow being injured and/or badly regressing. Ideally, I want a dual threat QB like McNabb, Garrard or Leftwich, who can run all of any playbook designed around Tebow, provide leadership in his absence and offer him invaluable insight into how to go from being a running QB to a solid passer. None of the named players would compete for the long term starting job, because all are in the twilight of their careers: Even if they won the starting job (and if they proved better than Tebow we would be better off) they would not have it beyond retirement in a couple years.

I would not mind a shifty burner at RB to complement McGahees tackle breaking power and absorb some of the abuse largely limited to him at present, but it is not a priority We might easily draft one, given the volume of college RBs, the reduced demand for them in the pros and the relative quickness with which rookies can contribute there (though blocking and receiving skills often take longer to acquire, especially in later round picks.)

I'm not quite as high on TEs as most other people seem to be; I like Fells, Rosario has had his moments, and we don't use TEs much as receivers, so developing the young ones we have and signing another true lineman would probably be a better investment. As far as FBs, if we go in the direction I want we'll be running a lot of single back sets anyway, so it's not a high priority.

Nick
01-17-2012, 06:03 PM
I saw last night that Xanders said we spent 98% of our cash budget. With us being so far under the cap and him saying this, dead money next year, and previous Bronco off seasons.

I recommend no one get their hopes up.

MOtorboat
01-17-2012, 06:05 PM
I saw last night that Xanders said we spent 98% of our cash budget. With us be so far under the camp and him saying this, dead money next year, and previous Bronco off seasons.

I recommend no one get their hopes up.

NFL fiscal year starts in March. Though I do agree, people shouldn't get their hopes up.

HORSEPOWER 56
01-17-2012, 07:46 PM
I wish we had a Sproles on this team. Tebow really needs someone he can dump a quick pass off to that is always a threat to take it to the house. It would make the defenses reconsider stacking 8 or 9 in the box. It would really open things up.

That's why I really think we need to make a play for LaMichael James in the draft. If he falls into the 2nd round, I would love to see us take him, even if we had to trade up a little to do so.

We need a homerun threat at the RB position and someone who is a mismatch out of the backfield vs the pass. He and McGahee would make a great duo, IMO.

arapaho2
01-17-2012, 07:57 PM
i think alot depends on whether we keep mccoy or not

mccoy isnt one to rely on the tes in the passing game....so why aquire one when we have perfectly good tes blocking already...cheaply

a sproles type back is a weapon...however how many check downs and screens would he ever get called with mccoy

as per a wr burner...we had one on the practise squad ....and let him walk even after we traded llyod...so aparently that wasnt a need

so if the offense stays the same with mccoy alot of our desires...arent really needed if he calls the same type game

the one need other than a RT in my eyes would be a speedy one cut back...hit the hole hard and fast

defense we need dbs in a bad way...goodman has to go...to me champ is stillbetter than most other cbs easily top 10 which is good enough if you can rush the passer...dawwks replacment is a must

a penetrating DT would be a great asset

NightTerror218
01-17-2012, 08:01 PM
I think franklin did good as a rookie. I think get either a FA OT and move Franklin inside or get a OG and keep franklin on the outside. Giants have a goot OT and OG hitting FA unless giants sign them soon.

VonSackemMiller
01-17-2012, 08:04 PM
I think franklin is fine at RT, he played good more than he played bad. just a pup so of course he was going to have his downs, Hell be back next year better than ever, Kuper is elite at RG, Beadles IMO played pretty good this year i dont think we need to touch the OL foreal.

NightTerror218
01-17-2012, 08:08 PM
I think LG and C need something. The has been dominated too many times and needs TE/RB help blocking 3-4 guys.

topscribe
01-17-2012, 08:18 PM

Might as well let Royal go since they are not using him properly, IMO. I
believe he would be dynamite in a Sproles/McCluster type role. Royal is
fast, relatively small, and good in the open field. If they were to use him
there, I would say go after him with both barrels, IMO.

Regarding outside FAs, I wouldn't mind seeing Matt Flynn in camp . . .

Chidoze
01-17-2012, 10:19 PM
Where did you see they will franchise Flynn?

MO is correct, the Packers would be retarded to franchise Flynn, the back up QB. Sorry but he aint Aaron Rodgers.

Finley will be franchised, not one hit wonder Flynn.

DenBronx
01-17-2012, 10:55 PM
That's why I really think we need to make a play for LaMichael James in the draft. If he falls into the 2nd round, I would love to see us take him, even if we had to trade up a little to do so.

We need a homerun threat at the RB position and someone who is a mismatch out of the backfield vs the pass. He and McGahee would make a great duo, IMO.

Get James would give us some fresh legs and open it up a bit. He's always a threat to take it to the house. Very underrated because of his size but I don't care. If he's there when we pick in the 3rd then it's a no brainer to take him....In fact, maybe just go ahead and take him in round 2.

We will see how the combine shapes up and if his stock rises or falls. Right now he's a late 2nd early 3rd prospect.

Would like to see Willis, James, Moreno in a rotation.

WARHORSE
01-17-2012, 11:24 PM
Matt Flynn.

EHawbs
01-17-2012, 11:25 PM
I'll get flammed but I think C. Finnegann would be a good pickup and not too pricey. He's scrappy and has a mean streak.

Possibly Reggie Nelson or Griffin from Tenn. Maybe Landry from Wash.

Whatever happens, I would just like to see us solidify this defense more than anything.

The one guy on offense I would like would maybe be Vincent Jackson. Him on the other side of Thomas would be a matchup problem for anyone. Then let Decker concentrate more on the slot.

I wish we had a Sproles on this team. Tebow really needs someone he can dump a quick pass off to that is always a threat to take it to the house. It would make the defenses reconsider stacking 8 or 9 in the box. It would really open things up. Maybe we could make a move for Harvin?

And really a pass catching TE. There are alot of them that are hitting the market this offseason. This must be a priority!

I agree with the Finnegan pick up. He is tough nosed CB that's not afraid to tackle. Bailey, Finnegan, Harris and the return of Vaughn and Thompson shores up our CB's for a couple years. We can then focus on the defense, specifically DT and MLB, and running game. I don't think we should look for any big name receivers or a receiving TE. I don't believe our receivers are as bad as they seem at times. A lot of underneath routes were open, but Tebow was afraid to "pull the trigger." Sign a veteran QB and put Weber as 3rd QB. Let's see if Tebow develops and if not, draft a QB next year in the first round.

rcsodak
01-17-2012, 11:34 PM
Flame me away but:
Fat Albert Haynesworth.
He is fat, a punk, pain in the ass, but he can collapse the pocket (Which we are desperate for) and he will come cheap. If he plays half ass he is still better than what we have aside from bunkley. If he doesnt want to run, fine, he can rotate snaps with Ty Warren

I understand he makes for a great carpet.

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Tebowtime2011
01-17-2012, 11:36 PM
Lamichael james is who id take in round 2. Guy is so explosive and durable to be such a little guy. I would rather have david wilson from virginia tech he had 10 games out of 12 where he gained over 100 yards I say draft him in 2nd round he is a straight up beast look up his highlights on youtube I think you would be impressed

rcsodak
01-17-2012, 11:44 PM
i think we will open the check book up alot more than we did last year for the simple fact that we now see that were a playoff team trying to get over the hump now. last year we was in full rebuilding mode so i can understand why we didnt want to go throw the cash around in free agency. but EFX has to see were a team built to compete for championships now if we bring in a few more players at needed positions. and our young ones take the next step which im sure they will. its time to open up the check book. not go crazy but persue soem good free agents and lets make a run again next year.
:lol:
Sorry....but i just saw you call this team a "playoff team", and mention "championship".....

:laugh:

How about 8-8, in a shit division, and about 6 plays from being 3-13.

Without an offense, EFX needs to build a difference-making defense.
I hope they draft big uglies for the Dline and some speed behind them. Thats just to stave off being swept in a healthy division. Then theres the division winners to deal with..... :tsk:

rcsodak
01-17-2012, 11:46 PM
Hey dad, finley isnt going anywhere.

rcsodak
01-17-2012, 11:53 PM
:lol:

SM19
01-17-2012, 11:54 PM
Flame me away but:

Fat Albert Haynesworth.

Why would anyone flame you? It's less ridiculous than Jermichael Finley.

dogfish
01-17-2012, 11:58 PM
Why would anyone flame you? It's less ridiculous than Jermichael Finley.

yea, but U29 deserves a good flaming just on principle alone. . .

rcsodak
01-18-2012, 12:00 AM
Yeah most of thsoe touchdowns came in one game though early in the year when he had like 4 touchdowns in a game. Finley should be the focal point of an offense, theres no reason why he should not have over 100 catches and 15-20 touchdowns with that ability.
Maybe if he played 16gms.
Typical Texass softy.

rcsodak
01-18-2012, 12:02 AM
rosario wasnt all that bad this year either, i think we need to learn to use the tight ends better in the passing game, the qb needs to look at check downs for the te and the coordinator needs to learn to design plays for them also!

Rosario sux ass! How many times did he **** up field position on ST's?

rcsodak
01-18-2012, 12:18 AM

See carolina and sd backup rb

rcsodak
01-18-2012, 12:24 AM

On the other hand, they dont want to overreach and end back up in the '1 player away shanny days' or in cap hell.
Adding players takes more than just writing up contracts. They ave to realize how many are coming due each/every year in the future, take age into consideration, etc.

Using the draft and adding a few young fa's will always be the way to improve in the long run.

VonMiller58
01-18-2012, 05:04 PM
Sign Matt Flynn, Le'Ron McClain, and Tracy Porter. Re-sign Eddie Royal, Brod Bunkley, and Brian Dawkins.

Draft Jerel Worthy 1st round. It's time to make Denver's offense more than 1 dimensional.

underrated29
01-18-2012, 05:13 PM
Sign Matt Flynn, Le'Ron McClain, and Tracy Porter. Re-sign Eddie Royal, Brod Bunkley, and Brian Dawkins.

Draft Jerel Worthy 1st round. It's time to make Denver's offense more than 1 dimensional.

Everything but flynn looks good to me.

topscribe
01-18-2012, 05:16 PM
Bring in Flynn and/or draft Noles. I'm not sure whether this is the #1, but I
would like to see whether they can make an improvement in the QB situation . ..

dogfish
01-18-2012, 05:17 PM
http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/461/2wclkpk.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/717/2wclkpk.png/)

SmilinAssasSin27
01-18-2012, 06:53 PM
Yeah we could use some depth at safety, But i believe in Moore and Carter. Exspecially Moore. i think the kid will be getting back to making plays because he has all the ability in the world. just needs to get stronger and the game needs to slow down for him which im sure it will.

How could you possible have more faith in Moore than carter? I'll hang up and listen.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-18-2012, 06:56 PM

No way Flynn gets franchised. Do you realize how much $$$ that would cost them?

SmilinAssasSin27
01-18-2012, 07:10 PM

That wasn't just last year. That is the smart way to build a team. Don't get into bidding wars and overpay for players when ya have so many holes. We are NOT close to TRULY competing. We won a tie-breaker in the worst division in football. We need to add reasonably priced pieces, maybe 1 big ticket item and continue to draft intelligently.

My perferred Free Agent acquisitions:

Big Ticket: One of the top CBs available. I don't hate Aaron Ross.

Need fillers:
Mike Tolbert, RB, San Diego
Robert Meachem, WR, New Orleans

Sign our own preferred guys and draft well.

NightTerror218
01-18-2012, 07:12 PM
That wasn't just last year. That is the smart way to build a team. Don't get into bidding wars and overpay for players when ya have so many holes. We are NOT close to TRULY competing. We won a tie-breaker in the worst division in football. We need to add reasonably priced pieces, maybe 1 big ticket item and continue to draft intelligently.

Need fillers:

I rather have Carl Nicks or Kareem McKenzie as big ticket. I also like Brent Grimes. One of those OL and Grimes is my wish list for FA.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-18-2012, 07:13 PM
Who said that Still has character issues?

I can see how he thought it was implied. Still was the original subject of the post, then the character issue was mentioned.

dogfish
01-18-2012, 07:15 PM

Need fillers:

if we re-signed bunk and added tracy porter/brent grimes and mike tolbert/leron mcclain, i might cry like a baby. . . .

SmilinAssasSin27
01-18-2012, 07:22 PM
I rather have Carl Nicks or Kareem McKenzie as big ticket. I also like Brent Grimes. One of those OL and Grimes is my wish list for FA.

How does it feel to always be wrong?

I kid...just in the mood to write that...

NightTerror218
01-18-2012, 07:24 PM
How does it feel to always be wrong?

I kid...just in the mood to write that...

asking for a beating son?

VonSackemMiller
01-18-2012, 09:24 PM
How could you possible have more faith in Moore than carter? I'll hang up and listen.

Because Moore has the potential to be that ball hawk and a good tackling machine once he figures it out and gets stronger this off season. Carter is just a box safety. should be a good one but he doesnt have that WOW ability like Moore.

MOtorboat
01-18-2012, 09:30 PM
Because Moore has the potential to be that ball hawk and a good tackling machine once he figures it out and gets stronger this off season. Carter is just a box safety. should be a good one but he doesnt have that WOW ability like Moore.

I thought you were going to go away...

One can only hope...

VonSackemMiller
01-18-2012, 11:52 PM
I thought you were going to go away...

One can only hope...

Trolling. as usual.

Jsteve01
01-19-2012, 12:27 AM

Yeah Carter's 2 picks in the playoffs didn't wow me at all

SOCALORADO.
01-19-2012, 09:37 AM

I told you guys Moore was a prima donna, punk ass before DEN drafted him.
Carter is the starting FS, and anyone who wants that job will have to beat him out for it next year. Good on Carter. :defense:

Traveler
01-19-2012, 10:10 AM

When was the last time we've seen/read how a Bronco player got stonger in the offseason?

Probably part of the reason Tuten was let go. For as long as I've followed this team, I can say with confidence that it is a rarity for one of our players to get bigger or stronger during Tuten's time there.

Neither Carter or Moore are log term answers at the safety position IMO.

Traveler
01-19-2012, 10:45 AM
Read this morning that EFX was setting their budget for FA. If they keep to their stated goal of drafting players to rebuild this team, we probably won't be major players in FA.

Looking at the many needs for this team, it's obvious that defense has to be the priority. Not as many holes on the offense and FA should be used to address the OG and QB positions IMO.

The two players I hope they'll target are OG Carl Nicks and QB Kevin O'Connell. Especially if they continue to tailor the offense around Tebow's skillset. Understanding that O'Connell hasn't played much, he can run the read-option offense, is a much better passer than Tebow, and most importantly, is very adept at reading defenses.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/04/sports/football/kevin-oconnell-third-string-quarterback-aids-jets-on-sideline.html

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/15/nicks-expected-to-leave-new-orleans-in-free-agency/

As for Nicks, he'd fill a glaring hole at LG. Solid in both pass protection and power run blocking, it'll allow for Beadles to become the swing reserve G/T he's better suited for.

The Saints have a helluva lot of players they have to resign this offseason and Nicks might actually become an UFA with no rights tendered to him. I've also read where DAL would pursue him vigorously if he becomes available, so he's the one player I'd like for the Broncos to spend big FA money on.

They should continue to use the draft to restock the defense. Continue to add second tier type FA's once the draft is completed.

Resigning Bunkley should be their top priority amoung our own FA.

Also of possible concern is who'll replace McCoy if he does land the job as MIA HC. Anyone have any suggestions as to who the best available candidates might be?

My belief is that Fox really doesn't have "his people" on the offensive side of the ball due to the lockout. Won't be surprised to see several changes here. Especially at OC and QB coach.

I do know that he had one coach he wanted here badly that worked for him in CAR. Can't remember his name though. Would also love to see Karl Dorrell brought back as the receivers coach if he hasn't signed with another team already.

dogfish
01-19-2012, 01:28 PM
Read this morning that EFX was setting their budget for FA.

what was it, a couple hundred bucks?

ShooterJM
01-19-2012, 01:41 PM
Bout tree fiddy.

We have way too many holes up and down the roster. I think it's going to be a few good value additions in FA and we'll need 2 solid drafts to get to where we need to be.

Traveler
01-19-2012, 01:47 PM
Bout tree fiddy.

We have way too many holes up and down the roster. I think it's going to be a few good value additions in FA and we'll need 2 solid drafts to get to where we need to be.

I was thinking more like 4 more solid drafts. We are selecting way to low this year to find many upgrades to what we already have.

dogfish
01-19-2012, 01:56 PM
I was thinking more like 4 more solid drafts. We are selecting way to low this year to find many upgrades to what we already have.

if they're going to drag it out four drafts, may as well call it five or six, since we'll also have to replace guys that retire, get hurt or get old during those four years of drafting. . .

Traveler
01-19-2012, 02:00 PM
if they're going to drag it out four drafts, may as well call it five or six, since we'll also have to replace guys that retire, get hurt or get old during those four years of drafting. . .

I truly don't think they'll have any choice. Even if the do hit on some "unexpectedly" solid picks, we've been so devoid of really talented players for so long, we'd be replacing them anyway. No?

VonSackemMiller
01-20-2012, 04:07 AM

Lol omg the ball was thrown right at him while he was standing stationary and it hit him right in the chest. Yeah i give him credit for catching the ball but he didnt make a play on the ball. Moore has play making ability son. Its no comparison. Carter is known as a hard hitter not a ball hawking play maker. Do your scouting reports.

MOtorboat
01-20-2012, 12:07 PM
Looks like I was wrong about the franchise tag, but only because Green Bay wants to sign him long term and he doesn't want to go anywhere else.

http://blogs.greenbaypressgazette.com/blogs/gpg/insider/2012/01/19/agent-packers-intersted-in-signing-finley-to-long-term-deal/

TXBRONC
01-20-2012, 12:30 PM
if we re-signed bunk and added tracy porter/brent grimes and mike tolbert/leron mcclain, i might cry like a baby. . . .

Hell you might cry like a baby if we don't. :D

jhildebrand
01-20-2012, 01:46 PM
The biggest FA the broncos should pursue this offseason is CASH. Lots and lots of cash!

broncs
01-20-2012, 02:13 PM
Hines Ward, the best blocking wr ever, if steelers release him

MOtorboat
01-20-2012, 02:19 PM
Hines Ward, the best blocking wr ever, if steelers release him

Ward is retiring.

yuhateme80
01-20-2012, 02:59 PM
Mario Williams him and Von miller and Elvis we would pressure any qb

yuhateme80
01-20-2012, 03:02 PM
They going to franchise Flynn then trade him like patriots did cassel for sec round pic

dogfish
01-20-2012, 03:45 PM
Hell you might cry like a baby if we don't. :D

entirely possible. . .

Ward is retiring.

did he say so, or are you just speculating? i just read a few weeks ago that he wants to keep playing. . .

Jsteve01
01-20-2012, 03:48 PM
don't question Mo dogfish...he's a pro

dogfish
01-20-2012, 03:49 PM
don't question Mo dogfish...he's a pro

i wasn't challenging him-- just asking for clarification. . . ;)

i don't wanna provoke The Rage. . .

MOtorboat
01-20-2012, 04:59 PM
entirely possible. . .

did he say so, or are you just speculating? i just read a few weeks ago that he wants to keep playing. . .

That's my bad. Saw he was retiring then apparently he clarified and said he wasn't...

dogfish
01-20-2012, 05:06 PM
That's my bad. Saw he was retiring then apparently he clarified and said he wasn't...

the only reason i care is that i actually think he'd be an ideal pickup for us in the somewhat unlikely event that they release him. . . you couldn't find a better mentor for DT and decker-- ward's been slow for years now, he knows every detail and nuance that there is to know about route running and creating separation. . . and he's a low ego guy from a blue collar team, used to blocking hard and playing conservative offense. . .

and he's an extremely sure-handed receiver who ain't scurred at all to go over the middle. . . not that i would expect him to produce that much-- he can't have too much left in the tank at this point-- but i think he could have just as profound a leadership impact on the offense as dawk's had on the D, and that alone might be worth the roster spot. . . i'd loooove to see a hard-nosed pro like hines take that young beast #88 under his wing, and help him realize some of his force of nature potential. . .