PDA

View Full Version : Final cuts???

Watchthemiddle
08-30-2007, 11:32 PM
So, for those of us who got to see the last ...:boring:...preseason game and for those who didn't, give me your thoughts on who might get the axe.

First question...why was Sheffler in the game from the 3rd quarter to the end of the game? Is his job in jeopardy, or does he just need more game time work?

Hixon? Stay or go? #4 or #5 WR?

Selvin Young?

Andre Hall??

Brian Clarke???

I thought all four did good enough to atleast make the squad for special team work and practice squad.

Thoughts??

Crush05
08-30-2007, 11:36 PM
So, for those of us who got to see the last ...:boring:...preseason game and for those who didn't, give me your thoughts on who might get the axe.

First question...why was Sheffler in the game from the 3rd quarter to the end of the game? Is his job in jeopardy, or does he just need more game time work?

Selvin Young?

Andre Hall??

Brian Clarke???

I thought all four did good enough to atleast make the squad for special team work and practice squad.

Thoughts??

Yes Hixon stays as #4 in my book.
Selvin mark my words stays & will be # 2
and everything else is up in the air. I agree with what Rivers was saying about Hall getting cut then signed to the practice squad in a few days if he is not picked up.

Watchthemiddle
08-30-2007, 11:38 PM
and everything else is up in the air. I agree with what Rivers was saying about Hall getting cut then signed to the practice squad in a few days if he is not picked up.

Selvin #2??

I guess it could happen. He has looked good this preseason. That would be something to have another undrafted free agent as our back up RB

So do you see Bell as #3 or CUt?

Crush05
08-30-2007, 11:40 PM
Selvin #2??

I guess it could happen. He has looked good this preseason. That would be something to have another undrafted free agent as our back up RB

Bell showed he could play both hb and fb tonight. I say he stays as #3

Reidman
08-30-2007, 11:40 PM
Wow, I didnt get to see the last game but Young the #2 back..really...??

I think he has looked good so far but not good enough to take M. Bells spot as the backup. We"ll see...

LordTrychon
08-30-2007, 11:44 PM
Wow, I didnt get to see the last game but Young the #2 back..really...??

I think he has looked good so far but not good enough to take M. Bells spot as the backup. We"ll see...

Bell has proven more in the regular season... I hope Young gets a few shots here and there, but Bell compiled a rather decent season for a backup undrafted rookie RB, IMO... I can't see him losing his spot over a few preseason games.

That said... if there's been enough going on in practices that we don't know about... anything's possible.

Crush05
08-30-2007, 11:58 PM
OH it will happen. Yes it will happen.:2cents::focus: look at his speed, foot work and agility. IMO he is better than MB but hey Mike S. has proved me wrong before. But this time I think he will call me personally on this matter!:cell:

Simple Jaded
08-30-2007, 11:59 PM

Selvin Young?

Andre Hall??

Brian Clarke???

Thoughts??

I think Scheffler was in the game cause he is out of shape and needed the playing time. He just isn't a candidate to be cut, imo, but nothing Shanahan will ever do will ever surprise me.

You'd think that, at the very least, he has trade value. But there is just no way in hell Scheffler isn't the No2 TE, even with Shanahan making the decisions.

Hixon stays, imo, he showed enough tonight just as a blocker to secure a job as No4 til (IF) Rod Smith comes off the PUP.

Selvin Young stays, I think, as a No3 who never dresses up.

Andre Hall....don't care....Maybe he is signed to the PS.

Brian Clark?.....No5 and final WR.

My question is Paymah's injury....Is it a concussion or a spinal cord concussion? He looked good before the injury tonight....

Watchthemiddle
08-31-2007, 12:01 AM
I think Scheffler was in the game cause he is out of shape and needed the playing time. He just isn't a candidate to be cut, imo, but nothing Shanahan will ever do will ever surprise me.

You'd think that, at the very least, he has trade value. But there is just no way in hell Scheffler isn't the No2 TE, even with Shanahan making the decisions.

Hixon stays, imo, he showed enough tonight just as a blocker to secure a job as No4 til (IF) Rod Smith comes off the PUP.

My question is Paymah's injury....Is it a concussion or a spinal cord concussion? He looked good before the injury tonight....

On Paymah, SHanahan said after the game that he was feeling good. Still not sure what type of injury it was though. Based off of the hit and measures taken, I would say spinal cord type injury..but I could be wrong.

Crush05
08-31-2007, 12:02 AM

The said concussion. BUt I disagree with yoou on Young he will be #2 and Bell will play both. IMO

Watchthemiddle
08-31-2007, 12:09 AM
The said concussion. BUt I disagree with yoou on Young he will be #2 and Bell will play both. IMO

THere you go...a concussion I guess. Well thats a lot better then spinal cord injury.

SO, if YOung is #2 and Bell plays some FB...who are our RB's and FB's?

RB= Henry, Young, Bell

FB = Johnson, Sapp, Bell

I guess that could work. We would technically have 3 guys at each position, and actually 4 at the RB position because Sapp could fill in as well.

Thats actually not a bad looking back field.

Simple Jaded
08-31-2007, 12:12 AM

Bell might have to play both (plus ST's) to make the team.

Sapp No2 at both RB and FB....

Crush05
08-31-2007, 12:17 AM
Bell might have to play both (plus ST's) to make the team.

Sapp No2 at both RB and FB....

Sapp will not be #2 Selvin will be. Watch and when cp's do come I will be waiting for all of my points!

Lonestar
08-31-2007, 01:11 AM
Before cuting proven VETremember that Watt looked like a n all pro in preseason also two years ago .. Where is he NOW?

preseason means diddlly squat .

Last year scheffle looked like a starter in preseason but played very little till late in the year after admiting that he did not "get the play book" down. the playing calling in preseason is pure plain vanilla. Not so in regular season.

Crush05
08-31-2007, 01:14 AM
Before cuting proven VETremember that Watt looked like a n all pro in preseason also two years ago .. Where is he NOW?

preseason means diddlly squat .

Last year scheffle looked like a starter in preseason but played very little till late in the year after admiting that he did not "get the play book" down. the playing calling in preseason is pure plain vanilla. Not so in regular season.

Sounds like a texan talkin now!!!!!:ahhhhh:

Broncos Mtnman
08-31-2007, 01:23 AM
Forget about who's getting cut.

I say.......

START HACKNEY!!

Membership cards will be available soon.....

:laugh:

Just thought I'd get a jump on this year's QB controversy.

Crush05
08-31-2007, 01:24 AM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Forget about who's getting cut.

I say.......

START HACKNEY!!

Membership cards will be available soon.....

:laugh:

Just thought I'd get a jump on this year's QB controversy.

topscribe
08-31-2007, 01:26 AM
Selvin #2??

It wouldn't surprise me to see Young as #2. When he takes the field, it just
seems everyone else goes onto slow motion. That kid has some serious
quicks, and he seems to have decent enough power, too. He might have
been undrafted, but his collegiate story will indicate why. Under different
circumstances, this kid probably would have been a high draft choice.

I've been a fan of Bell's . . . shoot, he's from the U. of Arizona. However, I
fear that he's nearing the bubble. Sapp is a lock because of his value on
STs, and the fact that Sapp was good enough at FB last year to bump
Johnson from the starting position for a while. Young is just too fast and
quick . . . too good to cut loose, IMO. Hall is probably headed for the PS if
he clears waivers. It will depend on whether they keep five or six, it would
seem.

-----

Crush05
08-31-2007, 01:28 AM
AHHH see great minds do think alike!!!!:first:

It wouldn't surprise me to see Young as #2. When he takes the field, it just
seems everyone else goes onto slow motion. That kid has some serious
quicks, and he seems to have decent enough power, too. He might have
been undrafted, but his collegiate story will indicate why. Under different
circumstances, this kid probably would have been a high draft choice.

I've been a fan of Bell's . . . shoot, he's from the U. of Arizona. However, I
fear that he's nearing the bubble. Sapp is a lock because of his value on
STs. Hall is probably headed for the PS if he clears waivers. It will depend
on whether they keep five or six, it would seem.

-----
and the fact that he was good enough at FB last year to bump Johnson
from the starting position for a while. Young is just too fast and quick . . .
too good to cut loose, IMO.

TXBRONC
08-31-2007, 08:00 AM

Selvin Young?

Andre Hall??

Brian Clarke???

Thoughts??

Of the four guys you have there Hall seems to be the most likely in my opinion. If the choice comes down to Clark or Hixon I think Hixon gets the nod and I see him as the number four receiver.

I would bet that the only reason Scheffler was on the field late in the game was to get some work in preparation for the season.

Skinny
08-31-2007, 08:25 AM
It will be interesting to see if S.Alexander survives the cut list. He's a great team player, he knows his role, excepts it and gives it 100% everytime he's on the feild.

But his salary may hurt him. I hope the coaching staff asks him to take a pay cut and remain on the team.

Those type of guys (willing to do the dirty work) are hard to find these days and i think he's a huge asset to the team. I hope work it works out for him and the team as a whole.

TXBRONC
08-31-2007, 08:47 AM
Does anyone know how many more players have to be so that we are down to 53?

Requiem / The Dagda
08-31-2007, 10:27 AM
I'm very surprised Young looks as fast as he does considering he timed terribly and didn't even bust a 4.5 at the combine. Classic case of a guy who plays faster with the pads on when it all counts.

I have a hard time believing that Bell gets axed though. I think he's more valuable to the team than Paul Smith, and I think we take our best five players.

Henry, Bell, Young.

Johnson, Sapp. Either Sapp or Bell can double as the second football. Sapp has the experience.

topscribe
08-31-2007, 11:00 AM
I'm very surprised Young looks as fast as he does considering he timed terribly and didn't even bust a 4.5 at the combine. Classic case of a guy who plays faster with the pads on when it all counts.

I have a hard time believing that Bell gets axed though. I think he's more valuable to the team than Paul Smith, and I think we take our best five players.

Henry, Bell, Young.

Johnson, Sapp. Either Sapp or Bell can double as the second football. Sapp has the experience.
Sapp also has the size. I don't know why they had Bell in their at FB, other
than to see whether they need to keep a another pure FB, or whether, behind
Sapp, Bell could play as the "disaster" FB. That's the only thing I can figure.

-----

TXBRONC
08-31-2007, 11:06 AM

-----

I thought read or heard somewhere that Sapp trimmed down so he he could be a quicker runningback.

topscribe
08-31-2007, 11:09 AM
I thought read or heard somewhere that Sapp trimmed down so he he could be a quicker runningback.
Yes, and he likely will be listed as a RB. But, were I the coaching staff, I
would consider him the #2 FB, as well as in the RB dept chart, and forget
keeping any other pure FBs. There is just too much talent at the RB position
to let anyone go.

But then, what do I know? :dontknow:

-----

Watchthemiddle
08-31-2007, 11:14 AM

Henry, Bell, Young.

Thats exactly the 5 that I picked also. IT also gives us good depth also as Bell and Sapp can both play some RB and FB. Although, Bell would be a pretty small FB.

anton...
08-31-2007, 11:17 AM

-----

you are old...

so i guess you would know a lot...

osmosis and all that mumbo jumbo...

:juggle:
________
WELLBUTRIN CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT (http://www.classactionsettlements.org/lawsuit/wellbutrin/)

Watchthemiddle
08-31-2007, 11:17 AM
Thanks for whoever brought up Alexander. WHere if anywhere does he fit into the fold?

And for that matter, what about Nate Jackson? He has been on this team now for what ....4 -5 years...:hmmmm:

Just a few more names to throw in there.

Also, don't forget about the defense. Habdullah ( sp ) #21? And #38 ( names slips me, had a int last night and I think he had another in the 49er game )

Depth at Safety.

Slick
08-31-2007, 11:20 AM
#38 is Carligle. He's made some plays in the preseason.

TXBRONC
08-31-2007, 11:23 AM
Yes, and he likely will be listed as a RB. But, were I the coaching staff, I
would consider him the #2 FB, as well as in the RB dept chart, and forget
keeping any other pure FBs. There is just too much talent at the RB position
to let anyone go.

-----

When Howard Griffith was our starting fullback did we have another pure fullback behind him? :ponder:

Watchthemiddle
08-31-2007, 11:24 AM

Thanks. Thats the name that was coming to mind but I didn't want to sound :stupido2:

anton...
08-31-2007, 11:26 AM
OMG!!

i wish they would let abdullah replace ferguson as a starter!!

the kid is a weapon!!!

had like 9 solo tackles in the first half against the cards!!

had in interception somewhere also...

and is overall a wicked baller!!

who is holding him back!?!?!??!??!?!?!

speaking of cuts...

nate jackson...

:confused:
________
WETwetclit cam (http://camslivesexy.com/cam/WETwetclit)

TXBRONC
08-31-2007, 11:29 AM

He had two picks during the preseason. I also think Abdullah played well.

TXBRONC
08-31-2007, 11:30 AM
OMG!!

i wish they would let abdullah replace ferguson as a starter!!

the kid is a weapon!!!

had like 9 solo tackles in the first half against the cards!!

had in interception somewhere also...

and is overall a wicked baller!!

who is holding him back!?!?!??!??!?!?!

speaking of cuts...

nate jackson...

:confused:

I hope that Nate makes the team He's good receiving tight end and he had solid preseason as well.

Watchthemiddle
08-31-2007, 11:33 AM
I hope that Nate makes the team He's good receiving tight end and he had solid preseason as well.

I like him to, but he never shows up in the regular season. I know he is well liked in the locker room and by the coaches. They have given him a lot of chances to succeed, he just seems to catch the injury bug every year. I like what he can do after he catches the ball.

Slick
08-31-2007, 11:34 AM
He had two picks during the preseason. I also think Abdullah played well.

I've always liked Brandon's ability to cover a TE but the more I see out of Abdullah the more I like. It seems like he's a step quicker than any safety on the roster. I'm not calling for him to start, but I think he's solidified himself on the team.

Two picks for Carligle huh. He's made some stout tackles as well. Final cuts are going to be tough this year.

anton...
08-31-2007, 11:37 AM
I like him to, but he never shows up in the regular season. I know he is well liked in the locker room and by the coaches. They have given him a lot of chances to succeed, he just seems to catch the injury bug every year. I like what he can do after he catches the ball.

exactly...

every year he seems like he is having his breakout year with great camps and preseason games...

and then comes the regular season, and after 5 years we are all still waiting for his breakout year...

:viking:
________
GLASS WEED PIPE (http://glasspipes.net/)

Skinny
08-31-2007, 11:38 AM

-----I read an article on "The Gazette" that Mikey wanted to get Bell some experiance at FB do to if any any injuries happened at that position.
Shanahan said he had Sapp and Bell play fullback in case of injuries at fullback and one of them has to fill in.

http://www.gazette.com/sports/alexander_26699___article.html/played_team.html

TXBRONC
08-31-2007, 11:38 AM

True, but last season he was healthy and he does special teams if remember correctly.

TXBRONC
08-31-2007, 11:43 AM
I've always liked Brandon's ability to cover a TE but the more I see out of Abdullah the more I like. It seems like he's a step quicker than any safety on the roster. I'm not calling for him to start, but I think he's solidified himself on the team.

Two picks for Carligle huh. He's made some stout tackles as well. Final cuts are going to be tough this year.

I agree I too think that Abdullah had solidified his position on the team.

Carligle had picks against the Cardinals and one in the 49ers game.

arapaho2
08-31-2007, 12:50 PM
Qbs
Cutler, Jay (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=498&contentID=5907)
QB
6' 3"
2nd

Ramsey, Patrick (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=498&contentID=7072)
QB
6' 3"
6th

backs

Henry, Travis (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=498&contentID=7051)
Young, Selvin (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=498&contentID=7262)
Sapp, Cecil (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=498&contentID=777)
Bell, Mike (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=498&contentID=5917)
Johnson, Kyle (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=498&contentID=776)

Wrs

Walker, Javon (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=498&contentID=5877)
Marshall, Brandon (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=498&contentID=5909)
Stokley, Brandon (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=498&contentID=7087)
Hixon, Domenik (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=498&contentID=5913)
Clark, Brian (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=498&contentID=5919)

TE
Graham, Daniel (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=498&contentID=7066)
Scheffler, Tony (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=498&contentID=5908)
Leach, Mike (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=498&contentID=728)
Jackson, Nate (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=498&contentID=775)

OLINE

Kuper G
Meadows T
Myers G/c
Nalen …C
Pears T
Harris T……….would not clear waivers for practice squad, alternative is to IR
Holland G
Lepsis …T
Hamilton maybe PUP or IR?

Defense

Cb
Bailey
Bly
Foxworth
Paymah
shoat

Safety

Lynch
Fergusen
Cox
Abdullah
Cargile

DE
Crowder
Moss
Dumerville
Engleberger

DT
Adams
Thomas
Gorden
Kennedy
Burton

Linebackers
Gold
Williams
Webster
Green
Lewis
Vaughn

PK
Elam

Punter
Saurbraun

IR list would be Rod smith (pup) and possibley harris and Hamilton (Pup)

PS
Fenton C
Hackney QB
Steven harris DT
Hall RB
Rogers S
M danials..WR

but it could change based on what happens with hamilton, harris would make the squad if healthy and hamiltons out
clark could be relegated back to practise squad if rod comes back from Pup( which i doubt)
so if either hamilton or haris go the IR route then a additional DE like peterson could make it

Requiem / The Dagda
08-31-2007, 01:15 PM
I don't want to make any official predictions, but I am very comfortable with the roster this year. We have a lot of guys who can play multiple roles, and some depth at multiple positions. I can't wait to see everything in action once the real season begins.

topscribe
08-31-2007, 01:18 PM
I don't want to make any official predictions, but I am very comfortable with the roster this year. We have a lot of guys who can play multiple roles, and some depth at multiple positions. I can't wait to see everything in action once the real season begins.
I just hope the DTs decide to take action . . .

-----

Requiem / The Dagda
08-31-2007, 01:24 PM

-----

Coincidentally offensive and defensive tackle are still the areas of concern I have on this team. Adams, Kennedy, McKinley, Gordon and Thomas are going to be the guys, and were we have some solid players there, a lot of them are still adjusting. Thomas has the potential to be extremely good, but the learning curve is high and I don't expect him to make much of an impact this year at all.

There are two spots I expect to be upgraded again next year, even though the team likes Harris and he'll have the ability to start next year. The depth at the position is a concern, and the long-term solutions just aren't there.

Lucky for us, the draft for 2008 has many quality names at offensive tackle and defensive tackle. The question is how many of them are good fits, and I'd say a fair amount are. Defensive tackle is iffy, there are about 4-5 fantastic fits, and other guys who have the potential to succeed here. I expect a defensive tackle to be one of the priority needs for the team next season, and as I've been mentioning since we drafted Dumervil, it'd be a three-year process in finalizing the changes to the defensive line. So far I've been spot on, I think that it'll be finalized next off-season and draft.

TXBRONC
08-31-2007, 01:24 PM

-----

We'll know soon enough. I'm not worried about it (and I'm saying you or anyone else is worried) but just believe some how some way Bates is going to find a way make it work.

broncosinindy
08-31-2007, 09:05 PM
Qbs
Cutler, Jay (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=498&contentID=5907)
QB
6' 3"
2nd

Ramsey, Patrick (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=498&contentID=7072)
QB
6' 3"
6th

backs

Henry, Travis (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=498&contentID=7051)
Young, Selvin (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=498&contentID=7262)
Sapp, Cecil (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=498&contentID=777)
Bell, Mike (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=498&contentID=5917)
Johnson, Kyle (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=498&contentID=776)

Wrs

Walker, Javon (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=498&contentID=5877)
Marshall, Brandon (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=498&contentID=5909)
Stokley, Brandon (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=498&contentID=7087)
Hixon, Domenik (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=498&contentID=5913)
Clark, Brian (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=498&contentID=5919)

TE
Graham, Daniel (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=498&contentID=7066)
Scheffler, Tony (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=498&contentID=5908)
Leach, Mike (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=498&contentID=728)
Jackson, Nate (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=498&contentID=775)

OLINE

Kuper G
Meadows T
Myers G/c
Nalen …C
Pears T
Harris T……….would not clear waivers for practice squad, alternative is to IR
Holland G
Lepsis …T
Hamilton maybe PUP or IR?

Defense

Cb
Bailey
Bly
Foxworth
Paymah
shoat

Safety

Lynch
Fergusen
Cox
Abdullah
Cargile

DE
Crowder
Moss
Dumerville
Engleberger

DT
Adams
Thomas
Gorden
Kennedy
Burton

Linebackers
Gold
Williams
Webster
Green
Lewis
Vaughn

PK
Elam

Punter
Saurbraun

IR list would be Rod smith (pup) and possibley harris and Hamilton (Pup)

PS
Fenton C
Hackney QB
Steven harris DT
Hall RB
Rogers S
M danials..WR

but it could change based on what happens with hamilton, harris would make the squad if healthy and hamiltons out
clark could be relegated back to practise squad if rod comes back from Pup( which i doubt)
so if either hamilton or haris go the IR route then a additional DE like peterson could make it
Ithink either alvin mckinley and or kenny peterson make this squad.Over at the BM i had cargile in. he can play special teams and accel. he can play safety and back up linebacker. i think he is to versitle to cut.

TXBRONC
08-31-2007, 09:25 PM
Ithink either alvin mckinley and or kenny peterson make this squad.Over at the BM i had cargile in. he can play special teams and accel. he can play safety and back up linebacker. i think he is to versitle to cut.

I don't know why I feel this way but I think McKinley as the edge over Peterson.

broncosinindy
08-31-2007, 10:13 PM
I don't know why I feel this way but I think McKinley as the edge over Peterson.

No question about it. Both have tackle expirence. and it will hurt Patterson with the four gamer pretty badly. and i think we may have seen him more. but like kircus impending problems severly hurt there time in camp

BroncoWave
08-31-2007, 10:23 PM

McKinley better make the team. If not, I'll have to adopt a new Bronco! :doh:

rcsodak
08-31-2007, 10:50 PM

Well, don't we all know what happens to players once they come back from their suspensions?:tsk:

TXBRONC
08-31-2007, 10:52 PM
Well, don't we all know what happens to players once they come back from their suspensions?:tsk:

That's right, Peterson has a suspension coming up. Yep he's toast.