PDA

View Full Version : Champ Bailey says Broncos must improve before back-patting

Denver Native (Carol)
01-15-2012, 06:25 PM
Cleaning out his locker today along with his Denver teammates, Broncos cornerback Champ Bailey said it's time for players to begin planning on how to improve rather than patting each other on the back after overcoming a 1-4 start and qualifying for the postseason .

"People think we should walk around with a smile on our face because we made the playoffs and won a playoff game," said Bailey, who completed his 13th season and was named again as a starter for the Pro Bowl. "But we came up short again.

"I don't have a whole lot of time left (as a player). We didn't win. So now we have to start all over again."

rest of article - interesting - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_19748582

OrangeHoof
01-15-2012, 06:44 PM
He's right. The Broncos are miles away from being a championship team. They need better receivers, a more durable running back, help at DT, LB and the secondary.

Yes it was a good season and a firm building block but Fox and Co. have a long way to go even to return as AFC West champs. The Chiefs will be healthy again and the Chargers can certainly play better than they did this year.

Tebow magic was fun but there's no way to be certain it will repeat itself in 2012.

rationalfan
01-15-2012, 06:54 PM
Denver needs depth - everywhere. Seems like every injury killed the team.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-15-2012, 08:11 PM
This is an extension of the article which started this thread - a few things from this article:

Football chief John Elway said last month that he'll work with his raw lefty to polish his passing game during the off-season, something he couldn't really do during the NFL lockout last year.

Nonetheless, Decker's money is on Tebow.

"Just knowing the person he is and the work ethic that he has he's going to be hard to beat out," said Decker, who pledged to work with his quarterback this off-season to help make the passing game less clunky.

full article - very interesting - comments from some of the players today.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=capress-fbn_broncos_wrapup-16301344

G_Money
01-15-2012, 08:29 PM
We're a paper-thin team, and we have some starters that should absolutely be backups, so we've got a lot of talent to add. We don't actually need to go acquire depth - we need to move half our starting roster to backup status by replacing them with better talent, and that'll fix our depth.

It's a rebuilding process. The playoff appearance in 2011 was a nice bonus, but not indicative of our timetable for the rebuild.

So we'd better open up the check book and add a few better FAs this season.

We need em. Champ is making his sad-face, Bowlen - give the man some help.

~G

Northman
01-15-2012, 08:32 PM
Lol, this should go well with some fans.

rcsodak
01-15-2012, 10:57 PM
I would like to know which, if any, player(s) had a smile on their face after that meltdown.
Well, other than Binn.

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Ziggy
01-15-2012, 11:23 PM
We're a paper-thin team, and we have some starters that should absolutely be backups, so we've got a lot of talent to add. We don't actually need to go acquire depth - we need to move half our starting roster to backup status by replacing them with better talent, and that'll fix our depth.

~G

Well said G. A lot of people around here don't understand that. The Broncos in the playoffs were pulling a chair up the the poker table with half of the chips of the other players. We have been sorely lacking in the talent department this entire century. The last time we had a roster capable of competing for a world championship was 1998.

This team is thin, but the coaching staff is solid. I love the job that EFX has done in that department. I also love most of the moves they made this year. McGahee, Bunkley, Von, QC, Harris, Fells, and Rosario were solid moves. In a year or 2 we may find out that a couple of the other draft picks were great moves also. This team is headed in the right direction. It won't be done overnight, but at least we're moving forwards instead of backwards now.

wayninja
01-16-2012, 12:24 AM
I have nothing but respect for Champ and I love players who play with that extra chip on their shoulders, but the accomplishment of where they have come from last year and into the start of this year is actually pretty impressive.

Oh, sure, they have lots of work to do, but did Champ really think that we would pull of the cinderella season this year?

Nothing wrong with taking steps. I know Champ's career is nearing an end, but his demeanor is making me wonder if he want's to be a Bronco any longer.

Ziggy
01-16-2012, 12:58 AM
Champ could have signed for more money with a contender. He stayed in Denver saying that he wants to win a championship here. He backed it up by taking the contract he took when he could have gotten more elsewhere. I hope we can get him one.

Joel
01-16-2012, 02:30 AM

It's a rebuilding process. The playoff appearance in 2011 was a nice bonus, but not indicative of our timetable for the rebuild.

So we'd better open up the check book and add a few better FAs this season.

We need em. Champ is making his sad-face, Bowlen - give the man some help.

~G
I've heard we've got a fair amount of cap room, but haven't seen any confirmation of that; regardless, your approach sounds very sound to me. I know we've got a ton of young guys we hope will "develop" (i.e. learn how to do their jobs once they've had them a couple years) but drafting more very talented very raw players won't help that process. Not only that, but savvy veteran PRO BOWL leadrship is vital to really developing players.

Anybody see that NFL.com article last week where Chad Johnson was actually a little worried about the intensity he saw from Brady, but the other long time Patriots reassuringly told him, "It's just that time of year." How long has he been in the League and he's never been around that? Who do we have that brings that kind of elite game face to the table? There's Champ, and Dawkins, and... um... er... Champ....

Say we get all our injured starters back next year and they play great in every game. I don't really think our 38 year old safety has another year in him, but hypothetically: There are still LITERALLY a dozen starters I'd like to replace. And we have how many draft picks? About half that? Even if we hit on every last one and they're all voted into Canton on their Pro Day, that's still a lot of holes to fill. Cap money doesn't roll over; let's use it.