PDA

View Full Version : Trade Marshall Now!!!!

BRONCOSFREAK765
03-02-2009, 11:41 AM
I'm going to go ahead and say it....TRADE HIM NOW....While he has value..Another season he will miss games because of his lack of priorities. He blew millions with this arrest. I know people can change, and not saying he isn't trying...but this would be a good move...can we really afford to count on him, when he is one mistake from a year long suspension?

Northman
03-02-2009, 11:42 AM
I agree unfortuantely.

CoachChaz
03-02-2009, 11:43 AM
But what is his value now?

Northman
03-02-2009, 11:44 AM

Somebody would most likely give up a first for him, 2nd at worse with maybe another player involved.

broncofaninfla
03-02-2009, 11:45 AM
Marshall has proven he can't be counted on. He is undependable. He has the tools just missing the brains. IF we sign him to a long term deal we need to add a "stay the h*ll out of Atlanta clause in there!

broncofaninfla
03-02-2009, 11:45 AM
I'd say a 3rd + a conditional at best.

broncofaninfla
03-02-2009, 11:46 AM
Looks like a good time to call TJ or Coles

Northman
03-02-2009, 11:46 AM
There would be plenty of teams interested. Cincy, Seattle, St. Louis etc. Just depends if they were willing to bite and what it all detailed.

arizonakid22
03-02-2009, 11:48 AM
I agree, call TJ today offer him a deal, trade marshall and jay for a 1st and 3rd. more draft picks.

BigDaddyBronco
03-02-2009, 11:49 AM
...and buy gold at it's historic high price.

Oh, and why you're at it sell all of your stocks.

slim
03-02-2009, 11:52 AM

What he said.

You guys have it backwards. You are supposed to buy low and sell high. Right now, Marshall = Enron.

BRONCOSFREAK765
03-02-2009, 11:53 AM
I agree, call TJ today offer him a deal, trade marshall and jay for a 1st and 3rd. more draft picks.

I agree trade them both. However I am sure we could get a first in 3rd for Cutler alone. I don't know if a conditional for Marshall would be wise...we would still be counting on him playing (and not suspended). A second rounder would best we could do I am sure.

Rick
03-02-2009, 11:57 AM
The good news is when we trade away our best offensive weapons and dismantle one of the best scoring teams in the NFL this team will be consistent again.

We can have both a bad defense AND a bad offense.

I'd say go for it, seems to make sense.

G_Money
03-02-2009, 12:00 PM
Nobody's trading for Marshall til they find out what his suspension will be. If we do a deal, it's likely to be a draft-day deal. We'll know by then.

Crabtree's foot surgery could legitimately drop him to us, and I could see that happening.

I have to say, though, I find it very disappointing that the Broncos shit is starting to crumble like a poorly made sandcastle.

After 3 agonizing years it looked like we finally had an offense in place, and a new set of coaches who might get us something resembling a defense.

Now we're exchanging long-snappers and adding special teamers on the defensive line to multi-year contracts while we might be down two Pro-Bowlers on offense by draft day.

This is not the start to the new regime I was looking for.

~G

BRONCOSFREAK765
03-02-2009, 12:02 PM
Again I say Marshall is one false arrest away from a year long suspension...especially after this arrest even though charges were dropped. He is in all reality one or two mistakes from life time ban...Cutler should go ONLY if the FO and him cannot mend fences. However Marshall getting traded would only upset Cutler more...So makes sense to trade both.

claymore
03-02-2009, 12:03 PM

Gordon Litty says gold has never been worth nothing. :D

DenBronx
03-02-2009, 12:17 PM
if we could get a 1st for marshall i say do it. maybe go after cook or robiskie in the 2nd. darius heyward-bey??? if crabtree falls to 12 we cant pass on him. maybe we should call detriot back and see if we can their late 1st for marshall. they would have a sick wr core.

maybe trade marshall for braylon edwards straight up.

Traveler
03-02-2009, 12:17 PM
Let's recap: :listen:

Cutler was reportedly being shopped, but had earlier asked to be traded.

Marshall was infuriated about the proposed Cutler trade rumor, got arrested, but should never have been according to his agent.

Sheffler was also reportedly being offed in trade talks.

Stokley is supposedly in danger of being cut if the Texans don't match our offersheet.

None of our current RB's (save Torian & Hillis) are like to remain and we've signed one over the hill back and another possible signee is balking at contract language.

Our starting C is asking for an adjustment to his contract or he'll retire.

Is it me, or is our offense in need of re-tooling instead of the defense?:confused:

claymore
03-02-2009, 12:21 PM

Marshall was infuriated about the proposed Cutler trade rumor, got arrested, but should never have been according to his agent.

Stokley is supposedly in danger of being cut if the Texans don't match our offersheet.

None of our current RB's (save Torian & Hillis) are like to remain and we've signed one over the hill back and another possible signee is balking at contract language.

Is it me, or is our offense in need of re-tooling instead of the defense?:confused:

I dont blame Wiegman for wanting a raise especially now that our Long Snapper makes more than him.

I missed the Stokley thing altogether. Your spot on with our RBs. Hillis is the only one I care about.

Sheffler.... He isnt going anywhere since "Trade Gate" happened.

G_Money
03-02-2009, 12:21 PM
If you trade Marshall and/or Scheffler before we even get to camp, then you might as well trade Jay. He ain't re-signing and the longest we'll have him is the 2 years til he's a RFA. And why would McD want to spend the first half of his tenure (he's only got 3-4 seasons to make real progress or he's out) with a QB who hates him and is killing time til he gets outta here?

Personally, I think it's stupid. You have a BETTER version of Michael Irvin, an injury-prone Dallas Clark and young Bret Favre without the drinking-during-practice problems, all three of whom are reportedly loved by teammates, two of who are Pro Bowlers and record-breakers, and we're seriously looking at having none of them to start the season because the new coach can't get along with his QB and the WR is a hot potato?

This is like the 90s Cowboys getting in a tiff with Aikman, trading Irvin because he's a trouble maker, and dumping Moose Johnson because he's just not that big a factor and is eminently replaceable, then telling Aikman to suck it up and play out his contract.

Except we don't exactly have a HOF RB either.

WTH are they thinking down there in Dove Valley?

If both sides become intractable, then yeah, we're trading out the offense for some new guys. But it makes is eminently more likely that we don't have a Pro Bowl QB, Pro Bowl WR OR the same head coach in 4 years. And that's a helluva price to pay for some bruised egos and nervousness.

I really hope it doesn't come to that. If it does, I'm kicking the next guy who says "In Pat I Trust" in the nuts, because Pat picked a head coach who has no people skills and can't get along with the players (and front office people, apparently) that he HAS to get along with to make his tenure work.

~G

warcrychief
03-02-2009, 12:23 PM

thats great lol ill be thinking about that one all day lol

claymore
03-02-2009, 12:26 PM
I really hope it doesn't come to that. If it does, I'm kicking the next guy who says "In Pat I Trust" in the nuts, because Pat picked a head coach who has no people skills and can't get along with the players (and front office people, apparently) that he HAS to get along with to make his tenure work.

~G

Hell yeah. I hope Pat doesnt have old man's disease like Al Davis. That would be painful.

I have a good feeling though. I think the prganization knows how serious they screwed stuff up this weekend, and its not to late to right this ship.

CoachChaz
03-02-2009, 12:26 PM
I'm ignorant here. And since a few things aI've said have immediately been dismissed since I cant post specific quotes...I'll ask for the same.

So...can someone please show me...
- proof that McD pursued a trade of Jay as opposed to listening to an offer.
- proof we were shopping Sheff
- proof that Stokely may be cut
- proof that Jay requested a trade

Traveler
03-02-2009, 12:29 PM
I'm ignorant here. And since a few things aI've said have immediately been dismissed since I cant post specific quotes...I'll ask for the same.

- proof that McD REPORTEDLY pursued a trade of Jay as opposed to listening to an offer.
- proof we were REPORTEDLY shopping Sheff
- proof that Stokely REPORTEDLYmay be cut
- proof that Jay REPORTEDLY requested a trade

Fixed it for you!;)

weazel
03-02-2009, 12:30 PM
Wait until week 5 or 6 when he has 7 or 8 touchdowns, then trade him for some large...

claymore
03-02-2009, 12:33 PM
Wait until week 5 or 6 when he has 7 or 8 touchdowns, then trade him for some large...

He might have to do it in the pre season. Depending on what Goodall says.

turftoad
03-02-2009, 12:38 PM
I remember laughing when someone here said that with the new ring on his finger he was going to grow up. :lol:

Right!!

topscribe
03-02-2009, 12:39 PM

Nothing had to be retooled. The offense should have been left the hell alone.
It was the #2 offense in the league, for pity's sake.

Now, with MKiddie riding into town on his white horse and fixing the offense,
we have a mess as a team. :doh:

-----

broncophan
03-02-2009, 12:40 PM

As far as Cutler goes...................the fact that absolutely no one from the organization has come forward to support Cutler .........that should be all the proof we need.

other than a brief comment from McD saying other teams contacted the broncos.....which many have reported is a lie...

Denver Native (Carol)
03-02-2009, 12:57 PM
I remember laughing when someone here said that with the new ring on his finger he was going to grow up. :lol:

Right!!

If this story posted in the Atlanta paper is correct, Marshall was not in any bar, but what happened was in regards to the new ring on his finger:

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/metro/stories/2009/03/02/marshall_broncos_player.html

Charge dropped but Broncos player might not be in clear
Police observed Brandon Marshall pin fiance against wall

A disorderly conduct charge against Denver Broncos wide receiver Brandon Marshall was dismissed Monday morning, a day after the Pro Bowl player was arrested for allegedly fighting with his fiance’ outside his downtown Atlanta condominium.

According to an Atlanta police incident report, officers were sent to the 200 block of Centennial Olympic Park Drive about 4:30 a.m. Sunday to quell a disturbance.

“Mr. Marshall stated that he and his fiance’, Ms. Michi Nogami-Campbell were having a discussion,” the report states. “Mr. Marshall advised that the discussion became intense and Ms. Campbell attempted to walk away.”

Marshall told police that he feared for Nogami-Campbell’s safety since she was from Orlando and wasn’t familiar with Atlanta, and that he was trying to convince his fiance’ to return to his residence.

According to the incident report, an Atlanta police officer saw the two walking on Centennial Park Drive when “they became physical and engaged in a fight, kicking and punching each other on the sidewalk.”

The officer “observed Mr. Marshall grab Ms. Nogami-Campbell by her shirt and pin her up against the wall, and at this time Ms. Nogami-Campbell then began kicking and hitting Mr. Marshall.”

Marshall and Nogami-Campbell were each charged with disorderly conduct and taken to the city jail. Charges were dropped against both Monday morning, according to the city solicitor’s office.

Before the charge was dropped, Marshall had been facing the possibility of a lengthy suspension from the NFL for violating the league’s personal conduct code.

Marshall was suspended for a game last year for repeated run-ins with the law. He was looking at perhaps a suspension of eight games or more.

The Associated Press contributed to this article.

Traveler
03-02-2009, 01:00 PM
All:

Let's wait till this dies down, let McDaniels, Bowlen, or whomever have a presser and present the facts, then determine who should get the brunt of our criticism. My guess is some folks here will need to apologize to McDaniels.

turftoad
LEAGUE “WILL LOOK IN TO” LATEST MARSHALL ARREST
Posted by Mike Florio on March 2, 2009, 11:19 a.m.
The fact that authorities quickly dismissed disorderly conduct charges against Broncos receiver Brandon Marshall doesn’t mean that Marshall will escape the long arm of the league office.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello tells us that Marshall’s escape from legal scrutiny has no bearing on his status under the Personal Conduct Policy.

“We will look in to it,” Aiello said as to the fourth arrest of Marshall since March 2006.

As we’ve long believed, the arrest does as much damage to the image of the league as any conviction or guilty plea. And guys who regularly find themselves in trouble either have horrible luck, or they just don’t get it.

MOtorboat
Haha...yeah...Brandon Marshall's trade value right now is about a 7th round conditional...

jrelway
03-02-2009, 01:06 PM
marshall got into a little tiff with his fiance. no one was hurt and charges were dropped. dumb cop arrested them for nothing it seems. trade marshall? makes me laugh.

G_Money
03-02-2009, 01:07 PM

On the one that really seems to be bugging you:

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest/0-3-1666/Spurned-Cutler-wants-to-be-traded.html

A source close to the situation confirmed the Broncos were trying to acquire quarterback Matt Cassel from the New England Patriots by dangling Cutler, their Pro Bowl quarterback.

The trade talk infuriated Cutler, who now wants to leave the Broncos.

The source said the proposed trade was a three-way deal that would have sent Cassel to Denver to reunite with former Patriots offensive coordinator and new Denver head coach Josh McDaniels, Cutler to Tampa Bay and compensation from Tampa Bay to New England.

Cassel and linebacker Mike Vrabel were traded Saturday to Denver's AFC West rival Kansas City for a second-round pick.

A source close to the situation told ESPN.com that the Broncos pursued the trade because McDaniels wanted to be reunited with Cassel, who excelled under McDaniels last season as an injury replacement for Tom Brady.

In the aftermath of the trade Saturday, Cutler asked permission to find his own trade partner but was denied by the Broncos, according to the source. Cutler is still hopeful he will be traded because he feels betrayed by McDaniels, the source said.

The source said Denver is no longer interested in dealing Cutler, who made the Pro Bowl in 2008, his second full season as a starter. The source said Tampa Bay, Detroit and Chicago could be possible destinations if Cutler gets his way and is traded. The source pointed out that until Cutler heard about the trade talks Saturday, he was completely happy playing for McDaniels and being in Denver.

So yes, there are conflicting reports. One says McD "just listened" and one says he "actively dangled Cutler as trade bait to get Cassel."

Both are stupid. :tsk:

If you want proof of what actually happened, I think we both know we're not gonna get it. The fact that the waters are this muddy is a bad sign, and we know which one Cutler believes.

This is not going away. The FO totally mishandled this WHICHEVER way it happened, and Cutler's gonna blow it up into a huge mess.

And now we don't have Cassel, and may not have Jay either. Wonderfully played, gentlemen. :salute::rolleyes:

~G

BRONCOSFREAK765
03-02-2009, 01:22 PM
marshall got into a little tiff with his fiance. no one was hurt and charges were dropped. dumb cop arrested them for nothing it seems. trade marshall? makes me laugh.

That little tiff will get him some kind of discipline from the league...and what happens with his next tiff? will you still be laughing? As for being arrested for nothing...thats a joke...I'm sure any good lawyer can get those charges dropped...for the right amount of money.

jrelway
03-02-2009, 01:28 PM
read the article. marshall did get arrested for nothing. where in the above article do you see a crime taking place? that is why charges were dropped. they had nothing. the pig that arrested him probably just wanted his name in the paper.

CoachChaz
03-02-2009, 01:30 PM
On the one that really seems to be bugging you:

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest/0-3-1666/Spurned-Cutler-wants-to-be-traded.html

So yes, there are conflicting reports. One says McD "just listened" and one says he "actively dangled Cutler as trade bait to get Cassel."

Both are stupid. :tsk:

If you want proof of what actually happened, I think we both know we're not gonna get it. The fact that the waters are this muddy is a bad sign, and we know which one Cutler believes.

This is not going away. The FO totally mishandled this WHICHEVER way it happened, and Cutler's gonna blow it up into a huge mess.

And now we don't have Cassel, and may not have Jay either. Wonderfully played, gentlemen. :salute::rolleyes:

~G

SOURCES CLOSE TO THE SITUATION. That's where my questions begin. If these sources were ever close to being 50% right in any scenario, I'd take it more seriously.

But, for arguments sake, let's assume they are legit. Then when McD denies it, why dont the sources step up? What about the sources in TB or Detroit? Where are they?

BRONCOSFREAK765
03-02-2009, 01:31 PM
read the article. marshall did get arrested for nothing. where in the above article do you see a crime taking place? that is why charges were dropped. they had nothing. the pig that arrested him probably just wanted his name in the paper.

Disorderly conduct is a crime And isn't hard to prove..lol.

elsid13
03-02-2009, 01:33 PM

There was the interview by Mort today on Mike and Mike (value it how you will) that stated the TB/DET trade talks were started in Dove Valley
(http://sports.espn.go.com/stations/player?id=3945321)

The Scheff trade came for his agent (same as Cutlers) on the Fox site and seem to be confirm by Fox 31

Stokely status is unknown but it is weird to sign Gaffney and put claim on Anderson. How many WRs and TEs are we playing?

Jay request is from a King article (which magically appears after the mud throwing this weekend).

G_Money
03-02-2009, 01:49 PM
All:

Let's wait till this dies down, let McDaniels, Bowlen, or whomever have a presser and present the facts, then determine who should get the brunt of our criticism. My guess is some folks here will need to apologize to McDaniels.

Why would I apologize to McDaniels? :confused:

The fact that we're still talking about this is his fault.

Say I run a company, and I'm the new boss, and nobody knows where they stand with me. If Company X calls me and asks if they can swap their decent employee (that I loved when I worked with him before) for my great-but-high-strung employee, and I let the conversation go on for an hour and then take Company P's phone call about the SAME worker for a half-hour, it's gonna raise suspicions. When my secretary lets the high-strung employee know he may be getting moved to a different company by the end of the day (cuz those phone calls are going on a looooong time...) so he should get a head start on getting his shit together, what's he gonna do?

Well, I would think the first thing he would do is ask me if I was talking to Company X about moving him. I then deny it, not wanting to deal with having to soothe his bruised ego or make it into a big thing.

Then Company X CALLS him and says they almost had him, and it would have been good, but best of luck. Now he knows a) his boss DID talk about getting rid of him and b) lied to his face about it.

So he calls me AGAIN. I send him straight to voicemail for the rest of the day, and just plan for the whole thing to blow over later, since either the swap wasn't seriously considered or it failed and I'm embarrassed.

Now he's blowing up all over the place since he can't even get through to me and I might still he shopping him. And he's letting coworkers know how he feels, other companies know... NOW he's pissed. And I don't have a replacement for him that's any sort of adequate and all my employees are looking at me like I'm a moron for riling up one of my best workers and putting the fear of God and everybody into the whole workforce. Rumors are blowing up left and right as the gossip mill cranks through the roof.

So my idea of an apology is to open my office door, mutter, "I was never gonna trade Stan to Company X, he's a great worker. Get back to work and stop talking about it." And close the door.

Stan obviously takes this as ANOTHER slap in the face and now spittle is flying while he rants. He storms out of the office, taking sick leave, and says "I'll see you later, maybe. I'm gonna talk to the boss about letting ME talk to Companies Y, Z and Q. Maybe one of THEM wants me, since HE doesn't."

Okay, NOW I decide that MAYBE this is getting out of hand. My workers are all freaking out and Stan's not working or intending to work any time soon. I get my board of directors together and we call Stan, ask him to come in for a top secret meeting to clear the air.

Stan hangs up. He doesn't believe a word I'm saying.

How is this NOT my fault? I let it get to this point. I totally failed at managing my people and now not only does my great-but-high-strung employer not believe a damn word I'm saying but none of his friends do either, and half of the people who merely KNOW him are looking askance at me and doubting me.

It's stupid, and it's absolutely, 100% the fault of the Front Office for butchering People Skills 101 when moving to a new job where the employees only know your name and most of them STILL HAVEN'T MET YOU BECAUSE YOU HAVEN'T HAD A TEAM MEETING YET.

God...so stupid...:mad:

~G

Denver Native (Carol)
03-02-2009, 01:49 PM
There was the interview by Mort today on Mike and Mike (value it how you will) that stated the TB/DET trade talks were started in Dove Valley
(http://sports.espn.go.com/stations/player?id=3945321)

The Scheff trade came for his agent (same as Cutlers) on the Fox site and seem to be confirm by Fox 31

Stokely status is unknown but it is weird to sign Gaffney and put claim on Anderson. How many WRs and TEs are we playing?

Jay request is from a King article (which magically appears after the mud throwing this weekend).

As stated by Mort - it would be hard to imagine that out of the clear blue, Tampa Bay initiated this by calling McD - asking him if he would be interested in trading Jay?????? If what Mort is saying is correct, we also have the issue of McD lying to Jay - NOT GOOD

Also, I don't know about any one else - BUT WHERE IS BOWLEN????? Should he not be speaking publically about this?

broncos9697
03-02-2009, 02:04 PM
I'm going to go ahead and say it....TRADE HIM NOW....While he has value..Another season he will miss games because of his lack of priorities. He blew millions with this arrest. I know people can change, and not saying he isn't trying...but this would be a good move...can we really afford to count on him, when he is one mistake from a year long suspension?

boldin and 3rd round pick for marshall

CoachChaz
03-02-2009, 02:07 PM
As stated by Mort - it would be hard to imagine that out of the clear blue, Tampa Bay initiated this by calling McD - asking him if he would be interested in trading Jay?????? If what Mort is saying is correct, we also have the issue of McD lying to Jay - NOT GOOD

Also, I don't know about any one else - BUT WHERE IS BOWLEN????? Should he not be speaking publically about this?

Why is this so far fetched? If you knew a QB that a coach previously worked with successfully was available and could give him the ammo to acquire him wothout selling the farm in exchange for a Pro-Bowl QB...wouldn't you at least make a call and find out?

Then suppose you decide not to make that cal and someone else does and it works for that team. Then your boss asks why you didnt try. Then what? I think its completely legit to at least ask. If Peppers was dealt to Houston for a 2nd round pick and I found out Denver didnt try the same offer, I'd be pissed.

CoachChaz
03-02-2009, 02:08 PM
boldin and 3rd round pick for marshall

Is this a joke?

dogfish
03-02-2009, 02:09 PM

ooh, i'll take this one!

probably not as high on the open market right now as it is to us on the field, which is why we don't trade him ATM. . . . BDB hit it on the nose, you don't sell low. . . now, if somebody offered us a mid-3rd or higher, then i'd seriously consider taking that-- but i don't think we're going to get that right now, and i don't want to just give away one of our most valuable assets for nothing. . . that's an emotional response, and this is a business-- decisions need to be made based on logic, not emotion. . .

from a risk-reward perspective, the risk of keeping him is still low-- what's the worst that can happen? he's not costing us a mint, and if he gets suspended he gets suspended, and we fill that roster spot with somebody else until he gets back. . . i didn't think we were winning the super bowl this year anyways, and IF doogie manages to get us to september without shipping off jay, scheffler, or stokley, along with graham, royal, gaffney and hillis we still have a pretty decent group of guys to run that spread offense until marshall gets back. . . the reward, which is having the presence and production of one of the game's most dynamic and talented young receivers, is MUCH higher. . .

unfortunately for brandon, that new contract they were working on just went bye-bye, but that's not necessarily the worst thing in the world for us. . . i'd let him play out this year on his rookie deal, see if we can russle up an acceptable trade offer, and if we can't get what we want franchise him next year and try again. . . that effectively gives us two years to see if either we can get a good trade, or if he can manage to keep his nose clean for that length of time and prove that he does deserve a new deal. . .

dude seriously needs to learn to not get into it with his ladies, though. . . .

topscribe
03-02-2009, 02:11 PM
Disorderly conduct is a crime And isn't hard to prove..lol.

Thank you. So what we have is:

1. Disorderly conduct isn't hard to prove

2. The charges were dropped

So they dropped charges that otherwise would not be hard to prove. Sounds
as if there was nothing to it because if there were there would still be charges. :coffee:

-----

scott.475
03-02-2009, 02:17 PM
Why is McD having these conversations with other teams? I thought we brought in a REAL GM this time to handle those things? Why are we letting the man-child do these things?

My goodness, the guarded enthusiasm I had after Mike was released is suddenly turning to outright angst.

Traveler
03-02-2009, 02:21 PM
Why would I apologize to McDaniels? :confused:

The fact that we're still talking about this is his fault.

Say I run a company, and I'm the new boss, and nobody knows where they stand with me. If Company X calls me and asks if they can swap their decent employee (that I loved when I worked with him before) for my great-but-high-strung employee, and I let the conversation go on for an hour and then take Company P's phone call about the SAME worker for a half-hour, it's gonna raise suspicions. When my secretary lets the high-strung employee know he may be getting moved to a different company by the end of the day (cuz those phone calls are going on a looooong time...) so he should get a head start on getting his shit together, what's he gonna do?

Well, I would think the first thing he would do is ask me if I was talking to Company X about moving him. I then deny it, not wanting to deal with having to soothe his bruised ego or make it into a big thing.

Then Company X CALLS him and says they almost had him, and it would have been good, but best of luck. Now he knows a) his boss DID talk about getting rid of him and b) lied to his face about it.

So he calls me AGAIN. I send him straight to voicemail for the rest of the day, and just plan for the whole thing to blow over later, since either the swap wasn't seriously considered or it failed and I'm embarrassed.

Now he's blowing up all over the place since he can't even get through to me and I might still he shopping him. And he's letting coworkers know how he feels, other companies know... NOW he's pissed. And I don't have a replacement for him that's any sort of adequate and all my employees are looking at me like I'm a moron for riling up one of my best workers and putting the fear of God and everybody into the whole workforce. Rumors are blowing up left and right as the gossip mill cranks through the roof.

So my idea of an apology is to open my office door, mutter, "I was never gonna trade Stan to Company X, he's a great worker. Get back to work and stop talking about it." And close the door.

Stan obviously takes this as ANOTHER slap in the face and now spittle is flying while he rants. He storms out of the office, taking sick leave, and says "I'll see you later, maybe. I'm gonna talk to the boss about letting ME talk to Companies Y, Z and Q. Maybe one of THEM wants me, since HE doesn't."

Okay, NOW I decide that MAYBE this is getting out of hand. My workers are all freaking out and Stan's not working or intending to work any time soon. I get my board of directors together and we call Stan, ask him to come in for a top secret meeting to clear the air.

Stan hangs up. He doesn't believe a word I'm saying.

How is this NOT my fault? I let it get to this point. I totally failed at managing my people and now not only does my great-but-high-strung employer not believe a damn word I'm saying but none of his friends do either, and half of the people who merely KNOW him are looking askance at me and doubting me.

It's stupid, and it's absolutely, 100% the fault of the Front Office for butchering People Skills 101 when moving to a new job where the employees only know your name and most of them STILL HAVEN'T MET YOU BECAUSE YOU HAVEN'T HAD A TEAM MEETING YET.

God...so stupid...:mad:

~G

All great points, but since neither you nor knows what actually transpired, we're both taking educated guesses. Unless of course, someone here has an inside source. Maybe Bowlen told McD not to say anything further and just let Jay vent or just let the situation die down. Who knows?

What I will say is that most everything we've heard thus far has come from Jay and outside reporters. Let McD get his say, then start shooting arrows are the correct person.

MOtorboat
03-02-2009, 02:49 PM
Why is McD having these conversations with other teams? I thought we brought in a REAL GM this time to handle those things? Why are we letting the man-child do these things?

My goodness, the guarded enthusiasm I had after Mike was released is suddenly turning to outright angst.

Here's my theory, and bare with me for a second...

Xanders got chosen on Saturday morning to go on a breakfast run. Traffic for some reason was heavy that day, and Mr. Bowlen had chosen Carl's Jr., instead of McDonalds on that particular morning, which is a good two miles further away from Dove Valley. So, Xanders was gone about an hour, because he had to detour a little bit because Mr. Bowlen doesn't like Carl's Jr.'s coffee, so he had to find a Starbucks, and so he had to drive back to where the McDonalds is and grab the Starbucks, so that Mr. Bowlen could have his Starbucks with his Carl's Jr.

Meanwhile, at Dove Valley, the secretary fields two phone calls. First the Lions call asking for Xanders, and then the Bucs. Well, he's gone for a while, and McDaniels knows that things are moving quickly right now in free agency, so he decides to call the Lions and the Bucs back. Being that they are trying to trade Denver Cassel, McDaniels listens and says, "we'll think about it, but I need to talk to Brian and Pat."

Well, about 45 minutes after that, Xanders rolls in to Dove Valley with McDaniels hanging out and as Brian passes Josh's breakfast off to him, McDaniels says, "hey, the Lions and the Bucs called, they want Cutler for Cassel, and they can both guarantee Cassel, since they are going to send picks New Englands way."

Xanders, looks at him, and says, "that's nice, you told them 'no' right."

"No, I told them I had to talk to you and that we'd get back to them."

"Oh deer jeebus, Josh."

And now we have this mess.

I'm firmly convinced that this is exactly how it went down.

:listen:

MOtorboat
03-02-2009, 02:50 PM
P.S. This is the Marshall thread...lol...didn't even notice.

CoachChaz
03-02-2009, 02:52 PM
"Sources close to the situation" told me the same thing MO.

G_Money
03-02-2009, 02:52 PM
All great points, but since neither you nor knows what actually transpired, we're both taking educated guesses. Unless of course, someone here has an inside source. Maybe Bowlen told McD not to say anything further and just let Jay vent or just let the situation die down. Who knows?

What I will say is that most everything we've heard thus far has come from Jay and outside reporters. Let McD get his say, then start shooting arrows are the correct person.

Um...our inside source IS Jay Cutler. He's talking, his agent is talking, and McD is not saying anything.

Why would an unnamed source be more reliable that a named one? Jay's agent says they denied having trade talks about Jay, then when he found out they lied and did indeed at least give a good hard listen to those talks and he called them back to check on how far those talks were they stopped talking to him. No leak in Dove Valley is denying ANY of that.

The best case scenario for what happened is Tampa and Detroit called the Broncos and offered to go get Cassel and give him to McD, and the coach and GM listened to both offers, then ultimately decided against them.

Then they at best misinterpreted the question from Cutler's agent and denied trying to trade Cutler, since he wasn't really trying, he was just listening.

Then they stopped talking to Cutler's agent when the news broke that there were indeed "multiple discussions" about trading Cutler.

Then they STILL didn't talk to Cutler about it, because hours later Cutler still thought he was on the trading block and no one had talked to him other than the press wanting to blow it up into a big story - which he definitely obliged them with.

Then Xanders issued a weak denial, followed by McD's similarly terse and understated denial, and then they decided that would be all the talking about it they ever wanted to do.

And now we're here, with Cutler asking to make his own deal so he doesn't wind up with the freakin' LIONS, the FO denying him since now there's no other QB we want more, the FO wanting to smooth things over quietly with a meeting a couple days later and Jay telling them to kiss off.

That's best case. Because best case is NOT that no trade talks took place. Nobody says that. It's NOT that McD was not interested at all in some version of a trade that put Cassel here and Jay somewhere else, because he was interested if the price and pieces were right.

There's nothing inherently wrong with him considering Cassel + whatever for Cutler.

But he botched the execution of that consideration with a level of stupidity that borders on genius.:coffee:

~G

CoachChaz
03-02-2009, 02:59 PM
There are just way too many assumptions in that dissertation, G

shank
03-02-2009, 03:02 PM

the assumptions no longer matter. no matter what actually happened the broncos are in the position that they are in. don't ignore it, fix it.

CoachChaz
03-02-2009, 03:08 PM
the assumptions no longer matter. no matter what actually happened the broncos are in the position that they are in. don't ignore it, fix it.

Kind of hard to do that when your star player wants to lay low and wont talk to anyone.

MOtorboat
03-02-2009, 03:11 PM
Kind of hard to do that when your star player wants to lay low and wont talk to anyone.

By refusing to talk to McDaniels, or the organization, he's now making it worse. Is some of this on the organization? Sure. But they deny that they want to make trade offers, they've admitted that teams have called regarding him. And yet, he stringently believes these rumors out of New England that they, themselves were the ones who nixed the trade. SO...if you're really that upset about it, fly to Denver and get their side of the story...which he isn't apparently willing to do.

:tsk:

Cluster.

shank
03-02-2009, 03:13 PM
you guys keep attacking the speculation on the front end of this whole cluster-****, but then speculate that jay won't talk to them?

bus cook said there never was a meeting, and no 'named' source has said a thing about cutler refusing to talk to McD and Xanders.

speculation is speculation whether it supports your opinion or not guys.

i want nothing more than for these guys to sit down and hash this out so that it will blow over, but so far there is as much indication that the FO is trying to pretend like nothing happened, as there is that jay is holding things up on his end.

MOtorboat
03-02-2009, 03:15 PM
you guys keep attacking the speculation on the front end of this whole cluster-****, but then speculate that jay won't talk to them?

bus cook said there never was a meeting, and no 'named' source has said a thing about cutler refusing to talk to McD and Xanders.

speculation is speculation whether it supports your opinion or not guys.

Cutler himself gave a statement to ESPN that he would not meet with Denver officials.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=wojciechowski_gene&id=3946294&sportCat=nfl

Traveler
03-02-2009, 03:18 PM

As much as I like to read what G says, I agree with you here CC. All we can really do is speculate since we may never know what took place.

I do agree with G in that the FO's people management skills are sorely lacking.

shank
03-02-2009, 03:19 PM
Cutler himself gave a statement to ESPN that he would not meet with Denver officials.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=wojciechowski_gene&id=3946294&sportCat=nfl

did you just give me the wrong link, cause i just read that article and nothing in there is from cutler except a one line quote about being "upset" and "shocked." what an absurd reaction for him to have...

G_Money
03-02-2009, 03:19 PM
By refusing to talk to McDaniels, or the organization, he's now making it worse. Is some of this on the organization? Sure. But they deny that they want to make trade offers, they've admitted that teams have called regarding him. And yet, he stringently believes these rumors out of New England that they, themselves were the ones who nixed the trade. SO...if you're really that upset about it, fly to Denver and get their side of the story...which he isn't apparently willing to do.

:tsk:

Cluster.

If Jay won't go to you, why aren't you going to Jay?

Is there something that you're doing that's more important than fixing this?

Why do you want him to come to you on your turf? Go make it right. I don't care if you don't think you're at fault, there's still a problem. Go fix the problem.

~G

MOtorboat
03-02-2009, 03:20 PM
For those that maybe cannot view the video:

Jay Cutler - "They want me to come in and talk to 'em...but I'm not doing it right now, I'm going to lay low. The (Broncos) deny everything. That's a problem. We know for a fact that they tried to trade me."

Poet
03-02-2009, 03:21 PM
There would be plenty of teams interested. Cincy, Seattle, St. Louis etc. Just depends if they were willing to bite and what it all detailed.

Cincy would not be interested IMO. Seattle would be the biggest bidder, and St.Louis would probably try to send you Torry Holt in exchange. Enjoy that backloaded contract. ;)

Maybe the Eagles?

shank
03-02-2009, 03:25 PM
For those that maybe cannot view the video:

Jay Cutler - "They want me to come in and talk to 'em...but I'm not doing it right now, I'm going to lay low. The (Broncos) deny everything. That's a problem. We know for a fact that they tried to trade me."

ok, sorry i just read the article. YES jay isn't handling this well. BUT, he's a 25 year old kid who everyone knows takes these kind of things personally. it is on the HC to reach out and fix the relationship with his best young football player, even if he's not being mature about the situation. if you can't talk to cutler, communicate through his agent until he's cooled off enough to hold the meeting. i really really hope that's what they are doing instead of young-ass McD taking the stance, "well if he doesn't wanna talk to me, then i won't talk to him either!" ego and inexperience on both sides are making this situation what it is. JUST FIX IT.

MOtorboat
03-02-2009, 03:26 PM
ok, sorry i just read the article. YES jay isn't handling this well. BUT, he's a 25 year old kid who everyone knows takes these kind of things personally. it is on the HC to reach out and fix the relationship with his best young football player, even if he's not being mature about the situation. if you can't talk to cutler, communicate through his agent until he's cooled off enough to hold the meeting. i really really hope that's what they are doing instead of young-ass McD taking the stance, "well if he doesn't wanna talk to me, then i won't talk to him either!" ego and inexperience on both sides are making this situation what it is. JUST FIX IT.

Then his agent sucks.

shank
03-02-2009, 03:37 PM
Then his agent sucks.

everyone in this situation sucks for different reasons, but that doesn't mean that the situation isn't ******, and it also doesn't mean that McD won't have the easiest time being the one to fix it.

CoachChaz
03-02-2009, 03:43 PM
I'm not saying its what is happening, but I would think Jay's agent would tell him to **** and would hope Pat would advise McD/Xanders on what to do.

Maybe that's what's going on...maybe not. Like EVERYTHING else in this situation...it's all speculation.

claymore
03-02-2009, 03:46 PM
I wish Jay was handling this as good as Brett Favre handles retirement. I think they have the same agent. Maybe there is a correlation.

SR
03-02-2009, 03:49 PM
I feel like MagnificentSeven right now, but we should just straight trade Cutler and Marshall for Carson Palmer and TJ, plus maybe a 3rd or 4th rounder for us.

MOtorboat
03-02-2009, 03:50 PM
I feel like MagnificentSeven right now, but we should just straight trade Cutler and Marshall for Carson Palmer and TJ, plus maybe a 3rd or 4th rounder for us.

Somehow...right now...I think we'd be the one give up picks in that...T.J. is a free agent, we should just sign him. Then maybe we could trade Cutler and Marshall for Palmer and Chad Johnson...

CoachChaz
03-02-2009, 03:53 PM
I was going to say...what has Cutler done to be put in the same sentence with palmer?

Traveler
03-02-2009, 03:59 PM
I wish Jay was handling this as good as Brett Favre handles retirement. I think they have the same agent. Maybe there is a correlation.

:pound:

shank
03-02-2009, 04:01 PM
I was going to say...what has Cutler done to be put in the same sentence with palmer?

carson palmer is 32-33, no playoff wins. both have great physical tools but have struggled on teams with bad defense. they belong in sentences together.

claymore
03-02-2009, 04:36 PM

http://www.redstaplerchronicles.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/throw-up.jpg

jrelway
03-02-2009, 05:26 PM

what exactly has palmer done exept throw for a bunch of yards like cutler does?

SmilinAssasSin27
03-02-2009, 06:39 PM
Trade Jay to Detroit for their 2 #1s

Trade Scheff to whoever for a 4th

Trade BM to Minnesota for their #1 and Tavaris Jackson

W/ our 4 #1s, we draft:

#1-Raji
#12-Crabtree
#20-Cushing
#22-Moreno

Sign Kurt Warner for 2 years
Draft QB of the future in 2010.

You are welcome.

roomemp
03-02-2009, 07:39 PM

W/ our 4 #1s, we draft:

#1-Raji
#12-Crabtree
#20-Cushing
#22-Moreno

You are welcome.

Now this is a nice post. :salute: Not bad. Actually every trade you mention makes 100% sense on it's own.

If Jay is Unhappy, I could see trading him for the #1 overall. We probably wouldn't get both #1's from the Lions though.

I am all for trading scheff for a #4. Scheff just can't stay healthy. I love Scheff but realistically a one-dimensional TE is not too hard to find as a replacement.

I love the BM for Tavaris and the vikes #1. This one makes the most sense. I think we REALLY need to deal BM this season. BM is "A BEAST" but I just don't see us signing him long term. You know he want's a blockbuster deal, but I don't think we will give it to him.......ESPECIALLY with this off the field issues.

Saying all of that. I still love Cutlet, Scheff, and BM as Broncos.

elsid13
03-02-2009, 07:53 PM
Now this is a nice post. :salute: Not bad. Actually every trade you mention makes 100% sense on it's own.

If Jay is Unhappy, I could see trading him for the #1 overall. We probably wouldn't get both #1's from the Lions though.

I am all for trading scheff for a #4. Scheff just can't stay healthy. I love Scheff but realistically a one-dimensional TE is not too hard to find as a replacement.

I love the BM for Tavaris and the vikes #1. This one makes the most sense. I think we REALLY need to deal BM this season. BM is "A BEAST" but I just don't see us signing him long term. You know he want's a blockbuster deal, but I don't think we will give it to him.......ESPECIALLY with this off the field issues.

Saying all of that. I still love Cutlet, Scheff, and BM as Broncos.

Scheff has missed 6 games his extra career with Denver, yes he been hurt but he has play throught it. This myth that he missed all the game is getting out of hand

This is his career http://www.nfl.com/players/tonyscheffler/careerstats?id=SCH095691
G C YD
2008 Denver Broncos 13 40 645

2007 Denver Broncos 16 49 549

2006 Denver Broncos 13 18 286

roomemp
03-02-2009, 07:58 PM
Scheff has missed 6 games his extra career with Denver, yes he been hurt but he has play throught it. This myth that he missed all the game is getting out of hand

This is his career http://www.nfl.com/players/tonyscheffler/careerstats?id=SCH095691
G C YD

Good find......I don't think we will be running too many 2 TE sets anymore either.

MOtorboat
03-02-2009, 10:41 PM
Loaded Breakfast Burrito from Carl's Jr.

Blame that.

Guaranteed.

:coffee:

Italianmobstr7
03-02-2009, 10:43 PM
Don't trade Scheff, Don't trade Marshall, Don't trade Cutler.

TIA,

Mobstr

turftoad
03-02-2009, 10:45 PM

W/ our 4 #1s, we draft:

#1-Raji
#12-Crabtree
#20-Cushing
#22-Moreno

You are welcome.

Tavaris Jackson?? No thank you.
I'd rather have Booty. Jackson sucks bad. I don't think he'll ever get it.

Lonestar
03-02-2009, 10:47 PM

G C YD

but just because he plays hurt does not mean he is effective.. they were looking for another Sharpe here.. and so far he has been anything but..

Sharpe's numbers were pretty consistent IIRC in the 60-70 catch range..

broncohead
03-02-2009, 10:48 PM

TIA,

Mobstr

It would be so hard to find another franchise QB and a dominant WR. Scheff and Cutler have good chemistry that's the only reason I would keep him. It'll take a few years to get the same talent we have on offense if we trade it all away.

arizonakid22
03-02-2009, 11:36 PM
Tavaris Jackson?? No thank you.
I'd rather have Booty. Jackson sucks bad. I don't think he'll ever get it.

I like it! But we only get 1 number 1 for Jay. If I were the GM of Detroit I would be all over it, better to take a QB with some experience than one without any.

What about a trade for McNab (SP)? BM for McNab and their number 2.

slim
03-03-2009, 12:02 AM

TIA,

Mobstr

Marshall = Chris Henry. He is not going to change.

Scheff can't stay healthy.

I doubt either of them have much trade value anyway.

elsid13
03-03-2009, 05:54 AM
Good find......I don't think we will be running too many 2 TE sets anymore either.

Two years ago that was the Pats base set. And three ago the leading receiver for them was Graham (our TE)

elsid13
03-03-2009, 05:58 AM
but just because he plays hurt does not mean he is effective.. they were looking for another Sharpe here.. and so far he has been anything but..

Sharpe's numbers were pretty consistent IIRC in the 60-70 catch range..

Sharpe wasn't splitting time with another TE, and Sharpe never played with WR that had over 100 catches. Scheffer getting 40 catches or so and 600 plus yards is very impressive when you factor in Marshall, Royal, Stokely and Graham (hit career high in catches). Scheffer yardage total have gone up every year he been here. If you look at the splits you will see that he become very good owning the center of the field.

CoachChaz
03-03-2009, 08:56 AM

W/ our 4 #1s, we draft:

#1-Raji
#12-Crabtree
#20-Cushing
#22-Moreno

You are welcome.

I am on board with the idea, but...where are we getting the money for all this?

BRONCOSFREAK765
03-03-2009, 10:25 AM
Thank you. So what we have is:

1. Disorderly conduct isn't hard to prove

2. The charges were dropped

So they dropped charges that otherwise would not be hard to prove. Sounds
as if there was nothing to it because if there were there would still be charges. :coffee:

-----

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11822671

According to an incident report from the Atlanta police department, an officer saw Marshall and his fiancee, Michi Nogami-Campbell, embroiled in an "intense conversation" outside his downtown condominium. The argument became physical, and Marshall and Nogami-Campbell became "engaged in a fight, kicking and punching each
Post Poll - Brandon Marshall

What should happen next with the Broncos and Brandon Marshall?
Cut him: Talent matters little if the commish won't let you play.
Keep him: Ride out the immaturity. He'll grow up, eventually.
Trade him: Send him to the Chiefs for a second-round pick!
Help him: Let him play, but send him to counseling.
other on the sidewalk," according to the report.

LIKE I SAID DISORDERLY CONDUCT CHARGES CAN BE DROPPED IF YOU HAVE A GOOD LAWYER.

BRONCOSFREAK765
03-03-2009, 10:28 AM
And since this isn't the first time he put his hands on a woman...I think the league may consider ATLEAST 8 game suspension. Time to get rid of him

BigDaddyBronco
03-03-2009, 10:28 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11822671

According to an incident report from the Atlanta police department, an officer saw Marshall and his fiancee, Michi Nogami-Campbell, embroiled in an "intense conversation" outside his downtown condominium. The argument became physical, and Marshall and Nogami-Campbell became "engaged in a fight, kicking and punching each
Post Poll - Brandon Marshall

What should happen next with the Broncos and Brandon Marshall?
Cut him: Talent matters little if the commish won't let you play.
Keep him: Ride out the immaturity. He'll grow up, eventually.
Trade him: Send him to the Chiefs for a second-round pick!
Help him: Let him play, but send him to counseling.
other on the sidewalk," according to the report.

LIKE I SAID DISORDERLY CONDUCT CHARGES CAN BE DROPPED IF YOU HAVE A GOOD LAWYER.
Charges were dropped because they wouldn't press charges against each other according to SI.

Unless he can give Goodell some sexy talk, methinks he will get at least a 4 game suspension.

Cugel
03-03-2009, 11:59 AM
And since this isn't the first time he put his hands on a woman...I think the league may consider ATLEAST 8 game suspension. Time to get rid of him

You people are so thick! And Replace him with WHOM exactly? :coffee:

Pro-bowl WRs don't grow on trees! A lot of the WRs drafted in the first round never make the pro-bowl.

And unless you're willing to take a chance on a "problem player" like Randy Moss and happen to be a team he wants to play for -- you're stuck with lesser talent.

And lesser talent = fewer wins.

And fewer wins = the coach getting fired. It's very simple in the NFL. Win. Or else. :coffee:

McDaniels doesn't have the time or luxury to totally dismantle the entire team and start from scratch. If he doesn't start producing victories in a hurry what was the point of firing Mike Shanahan?

At least with Shanahan the offense was going to be good and we wouldn't have lost our franchise QB!

Brandon is possibly playing his last season for the Broncos.

But the simple solution is to sign him to a contract with a "good behavior clause." If he gets suspended again the team doesn't have to pay him.

He might not like that, but given his history, he's going to have trouble finding a team to take him on faith anyway. He might as well agree.

If the Broncos get rid of Cutler & Marshall they're basically the Lions and Rams. :coffee:

jrelway
03-03-2009, 12:05 PM
jeez, so now you cant get into a heated arguement with your fiance, wife, or girlfriend without getting arrested. I hope goodell sees this as nothing and just gives him a 1 game suspension at the most. medias blowing this up as if marshall beat his girl down. im thinkin that piece of shit cop arrested marshall so he can get his name in the papers. ughh but thats just my opinion.

shank
03-03-2009, 12:08 PM
yeah, sign him to a contract that pays him like a probowler, but protects us from his antics. get him in counseling long term so he can work on whatever is causing all this shit.

i hate that i like him so much sometimes, but he's too good to let walk away, and we won't get enough value in any trades.

roomemp
03-03-2009, 12:14 PM

Pro-bowl WRs don't grow on trees! A lot of the WRs drafted in the first round never make the pro-bowl.

And unless you're willing to take a chance on a "problem player" like Randy Moss and happen to be a team he wants to play for -- you're stuck with lesser talent.

And fewer wins = the coach getting fired. It's very simple in the NFL. Win. Or else. :coffee:

McDaniels doesn't have the time or luxury to totally dismantle the entire team and start from scratch. If he doesn't start producing victories in a hurry what was the point of firing Mike Shanahan?

At least with Shanahan the offense was going to be good and we wouldn't have lost our franchise QB!

But the simple solution is to sign him to a contract with a "good behavior clause." If he gets suspended again the team doesn't have to pay him.

He might not like that, but given his history, he's going to have trouble finding a team to take him on faith anyway. He might as well agree.

If the Broncos get rid of Cutler & Marshall they're basically the Lions and Rams. :coffee:

Ummmmmmm.....How many times has Marshall been arrested. Thats a problem isn't it.

Northman
03-03-2009, 12:21 PM

Yea, i was willing to give Brandon the benefit of the doubt. And i know the charges were dropped but he is already setting a trend when it comes to his anger and the opposite sex. Even if his fiance is the greatest woman on earth she knows that he has been in trouble in the past for such offenses and would easily use that against him for any kind of squabble. Brandon unfortuantely has
set himself up for failure in this regard and at this point i do see him sitting out some games next year. I think its time to cut our ties with him as much as it pains me.

Northman
03-03-2009, 12:25 PM

I would say right now make a play for TJ Housyourmama or use the 1st round pick to pick up a guy like Maclin, Hicks, or Britt. Even if we want to trade down. I know defense is still a priority but right now going into next season we cant afford to have Brandon missing games. So maybe we do make a play for a guy like Lewis and try and draft a wideout. Sucks that we cant just concentrate on one aspect of the team but when certain players leave you with no choice than you have to make the tough decisions. In Jay's case, its basically just a misunderstanding. But here, its a case of a guy who just cant for whatever reason avoid trouble with the law. And since Goodell doesnt care if your guilty or not we as a franchise are at the mercy of what Goodell does. In the NFL, Judge Goodell is the law and there is nothing we can do to change that.

MadMax
03-03-2009, 12:53 PM
If we could get something on the market equal to his value when he's playing well and not in trouble I say go for it. Otherwise I see nothing wrong with treating him like the Giants have treated Plaxico Burress. Give him a contract loaded with conditions and forfeitures and every time he gets in trouble suspend his ass. If he gets to the point where the suspensions or drama significantly affect his play on the field then cut his ass.

As it stands if we try to trade him, teams will suspect they've got us in a hard spot and won't offer what he is worth, especially since he only has a year left on his contract. I would much rather hold on to him for too long(with a sufficiently safe for the team contract) then to let go of him only to see Marshall mature in a couple years and go on to be a hall of fame WR.

PS. TJ Houchammen..ah whatever just signed with Seattle.

xzn
03-03-2009, 01:41 PM
I don't like the idea of trading away any of the parts of our proven successful offense, but just for the record, has anyone thought about the CAP HIT?

What would the cap penalty be if we traded Jay? Scheff and Marshall would be minimal because they are not first round picks and still on rookie contracts. I would think Cutler would be a pretty good cap hit....

BRONCOSFREAK765
03-03-2009, 01:58 PM

A player who doesn't play because he is in trouble=waste of cap space

can we really afford to commit to him and give him another contract? As for being a Pro Bowl WR.....in all reality he has made it only once.....yes i know 100 catches 2 consecutive years...blah blah blah. a wr can also make the probowl if he is a return specialist.

Lonestar
03-03-2009, 03:54 PM
Sharpe wasn't splitting time with another TE, and Sharpe never played with WR that had over 100 catches. Scheffer getting 40 catches or so and 600 plus yards is very impressive when you factor in Marshall, Royal, Stokely and Graham (hit career high in catches). Scheffer yardage total have gone up every year he been here. If you look at the splits you will see that he become very good owning the center of the field.

actually he did have another TE around to share field time with can;t remember their names now but always had a "blocking" TE much like Graham has been since coming here..

yes tony has a good repiore with Jay and there are much better targets and they are really good WR.. and lets face it Tony is not ever going to be a HOF TE either.. at least not at this pace..

Den21vsBal19
03-03-2009, 04:19 PM

IIRC, McCaffery & Smith both caught a hundred the year before Shannon went to Baltimore.......................

actaully he did have another TE around to sahre field time with can;t rememeber their names now but always had a "blocking" TE much like gramham has been since coming here..

yes tony has a good repore with Jay and there are much better tagets and theya re really good WR.. and lets face it Tony is not ever going to be a HOF TE either.. at least not at this pace..

Byron Chamberlin & Dwayne Carswell?

bullis26
03-03-2009, 11:33 PM
If we traded marshall we would get very little for him a third round at best but more likely a fourth rounder he's too much of a liability at the end of the year this year we couldve and got a first rounder but now we would have to wait until the end of next year to get anything close to what he's worth marshall is one of my favorite players but man this guy just doesnt get it

MOtorboat
03-03-2009, 11:42 PM
If we traded marshall we would get very little for him a third round at best but more likely a fourth rounder he's too much of a liability at the end of the year this year we couldve and got a first rounder but now we would have to wait until the end of next year to get anything close to what he's worth marshall is one of my favorite players but man this guy just doesnt get it

We'd be lucky if we got that much.

At best, he'd be a part of a package deal.

bullis26
03-04-2009, 12:19 AM
Raiders did get a fourth for moss so thats what im basing it on but i dont think we should trade him buy low sell high we'd be selling low right now falcons did it perfect with matt shuab

warcrychief
03-04-2009, 03:00 AM

Yeah Goodell would have thrown that right out before their thoughts were finished with it. :coffee:

MOtorboat
03-04-2009, 08:39 AM
Raiders did get a fourth for moss so thats what im basing it on but i dont think we should trade him buy low sell high we'd be selling low right now falcons did it perfect with matt shuab

Moss wasn't about to be suspended. And Marshall isn't even close to a HOF player yet.

Zweems56
03-04-2009, 08:49 AM
Moss wasn't about to be suspended. And Marshall isn't even close to a HOF player yet.

He also isn't anywhere near 30. Moss was over 30 when that trade happened, and by the looks of it, was on the DECLINE of his career.