PDA

View Full Version : PFF Re-focused...DEN vs NE

Elevation inc
01-15-2012, 03:03 PM
Tim Tebow brought his Denver Broncos to Foxboro hoping to shock the world twice this postseason, but that plan was left in tatters by the wayside as the Patriots strolled to an easy win. The Broncos have a remarkably good record against Tom Brady and Bill Belichick but all of that was well before Tebow was involved, and the New England pair moved to 2-0 against Denver this season with a result that was never in doubt.

Denver came out and made an early decision to treat Aaron Hernandez as a receiver and play in nickel formations when he was on the field. The Patriots then simply used him as a running back and dominated against the light fronts and smaller personnel that Denver had on the field. Hernandez and Gronkowski combined to destroy the Denver defense and New England romped to a five-score lead by the time the half arrived. The second half was largely a procession as Denver just tried to get back on the scoreboard and the Patriots simply tried not to give them any reason to think there was any way back.

Denver looked to be out-coached and beaten by a better game plan when these two met in the regular season, and if anything, they were even more comprehensively out-coached this time. Let’s take a look at some performances worth talking about

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/01/15/re-focused-broncos-patriots-divisional-round/

also premium stuff from PFF regarding Denver for the NE game

On defense only 3 players played well....champ/Miller/Bunkley

DJ/Mays/Bruton were the main run defense culprits with horrible grades there
Doom had the worst pass rush grade he has had all year, its clear he was hurt more than he was letting on.
Bruton/Goodman/Harris were destroyed in coverage and had horrible grades

On offense as was alluded to Clady had his best game in weeks, and mcghaee was dominant. Thats it though, they gave DT and tebow 0.0 grades which mean neither played bad or good. the OL trio of beadles, Hoch, walton got owned in pass protection, and lance ball got beat to crap as well, while it was fells/franklin/hochstein getting owned in the run game. eddie royal had a crap game as well.....pretty poor offensive showing....

Elevation inc
01-15-2012, 03:05 PM
also they are very correct we got outcoached in every facet last night as well....Allen does not know how to or when to adjust from his nickel look at all.....we got no pressure either cause we ran only 14 plays in a 4 front.....everything else was 3 front rushes with some blitzes here and there and that was it....pathetic job there, and on offense mccoy didnt adjust for crap either.....but his OL left him little option

topscribe
01-15-2012, 03:06 PM
I think Magic Sam of The Daily Dickpunch (http://dailydickpunch.com/2012/01/15/so-now-what/) put it succintly, regarding NE's game plan:

The Patriots had a three point plan: 1. Get a two score lead. 2. Sit on Tebow’s face. 3. Fart.

wayninja
01-15-2012, 03:16 PM
On defense only 3 players played well....Von/Miller/Bunkley

I'm trying to make sense of this but it just 'aint happenin'.

Ziggy
01-15-2012, 03:21 PM
Maybe Von has multiple personalities.

wayninja
01-15-2012, 03:26 PM

Probably, he went a bit schitzo in the 4th...

weazel
01-15-2012, 03:33 PM
Probably, he went a bit schitzo in the 4th...

the pats were up by 35 points in the 4th quarter and they call a timeout and then run a quick punt kick with their starting QB. They were rubbing it in the Broncos faces and Von had enough.

The Pats are lucky it was the Broncos and not a team like the raiders or Detroit, because Brady wouldnt have made it off the field on his own. Belichick is a ******* douche. You play your starters the entire game in that situation you deserve injuries.

topscribe
01-15-2012, 03:35 PM
the pats were up by 35 points in the 4th quarter and they call a timeout and then run a quick punt kick with their starting QB. They were rubbing it in the Broncos faces and Von had enough.

The Pats are lucky it was the Broncos and not a team like the raiders or Detroit, because Brady wouldnt have made it off the field on his own. Belichick is a ******* douche.

The Broncos need more of that kind of passion, IMO.

If Von is fined, I hope the Broncos take up a collection . . .

Ziggy
01-15-2012, 03:37 PM

The Pats are lucky it was the Broncos and not a team like the raiders or Detroit, because Brady wouldnt have made it off the field on his own. Belichick is a ******* douche. You play your starters the entire game in that situation you deserve injuries.

The quick punt was a classy move. Would you rather have had the Pats drive down the field and put up another 7? Our defense wasn't going to stop them. People were going to complain no matter what the Pats did. They called off the dogs and punted early. I am surprised that they did, but they were actually saving the Broncos from more humiliation.

topscribe
01-15-2012, 03:39 PM
The quick punt was a classy move. Would you rather have had the Pats drive down the field and put up another 7? Our defense wasn't going to stop them. People were going to complain no matter what the Pats did. They called off the dogs and punted early. I am surprised that they did, but they were actually saving the Broncos from more humiliation.

Do you realize how humiliating it is the hear this?

Not aimed at you, Zig . . . the fact is what is humiliating . . .

weazel
01-15-2012, 03:43 PM
The Broncos need more of that kind of passion, IMO.

If Von is fined, I hope the Broncos take up a collection . . .

top, I was disgusted that the Broncos didnt show any kind of heart. I gotta say, if I was the coach and a team was doing that to me I would be sending players out there with a mission.

weazel
01-15-2012, 03:44 PM

so were they saving the Broncos from humiliation by keeping all the starters in the enitre game? whatever. that punt was to humiliate the Broncos, not to save them from it. Using the word class in a paragraph talking about belichick is laughable

topscribe
01-15-2012, 03:47 PM
top, I was disgusted that the Broncos didnt show any kind of heart. I gotta say, if I was the coach and a team was doing that to me I would be sending players out there with a mission.

I understand, Weaz, but I think Champ once put it best: If you don't like it,
then stop them. I just hope they have long memories. There will come a time
when the Broncos are the better team, and I hope they play without mercy . . .

Ziggy
01-15-2012, 03:51 PM
so were they saving the Broncos from humiliation by keeping all the starters in the enitre game? whatever. that punt was to humiliate the Broncos, not to save them from it. Using the word class in a paragraph talking about belichick is laughable

If they would have scored another TD I'm guessing you'd be complaining about that. Am I mistaken here?

The Broncos were humiliated because they don't have the talent to match up with a team like New England. This was the playoffs. I wouldn't expect a coach to take his foot off of the throttle before the final whistle blows. It's not Pop Warner where we need to make sure all the kids don't have thier egos bent early in life. These are grown men who got owned all day long. Half of the team quit by the middle of the third quarter.

Elevation inc
01-16-2012, 10:23 AM

i meant champ/von miller/bunkley

KCL
01-16-2012, 10:37 AM
If they would have scored another TD I'm guessing you'd be complaining about that. Am I mistaken here?

The Broncos were humiliated because they don't have the talent to match up with a team like New England. This was the playoffs. I wouldn't expect a coach to take his foot off of the throttle before the final whistle blows. It's not Pop Warner where we need to make sure all the kids don't have thier egos bent early in life. These are grown men who got owned all day long. Half of the team quit by the middle of the third quarter.

Great post! Keeping it real and telling it like it is!

HORSEPOWER 56
01-16-2012, 10:55 AM
I had no problem with the Pats "running up the score" or anything else the team did because I don't believe in that. They were kicking our respective asses all game and I'm fine with that. Taking your foot off the gas, especially in the playoffs is a recipe for disaster. Every NFL player gets a lesson on Oilers/Bills and the greatest comeback in post-season history. It's never over until it's over.

The only thing I take a little exception to is the NE fans up 35-7 booing our players when they go down with injury because they think we're just doing it to slow down their hurry up offense. Oh BTW, the guy they booed the worst (Carter) didn't return to the game... The fans were classless in an all out ass kicking win and that's embarrassing for them and makes them look bad. Be gracious winners and never boo (or cheer) opposing teams' injuries. Act like you've been there before (because the Pats have - in spades).

HammeredOut
01-16-2012, 12:32 PM
I would have made the patriots beat our team with 250 yards on the ground, and Brady rushing for atleast 50 yards. I would have sent 3 man rushes all night. make it look like blitzes, and still only send 3. This should be the mind set when playing these types of passing teams. Make them rush the ball, and we will shut down the pass.

MNPatsFan
01-16-2012, 02:43 PM
The only thing I take a little exception to is the NE fans up 35-7 booing our players when they go down with injury because they think we're just doing it to slow down their hurry up offense. Oh BTW, the guy they booed the worst (Carter) didn't return to the game... The fans were classless in an all out ass kicking win and that's embarrassing for them and makes them look bad. Be gracious winners and never boo (or cheer) opposing teams' injuries. Act like you've been there before (because the Pats have - in spades).As I said in a different thread, I was fast forwarding through the action during the first half and didn't hear or realize the fans were booing the injured Broncos fans. I agree that is a classless thing to do.

On a different note, I have to say that I was surprised by the number of Broncos leading with their head when they made a tackle and resulting in the Broncos player getting injured, at least temporarily *Note I am not whining, bitching or complaining, but merely raising this for discussion*. Carter did it the first time he was injured, and I believe he also did it the second and final time he was injured and didn't return. Bunkley also did it when he caused the fumble and was injured, at least temporarily. *Note, I am not saying that Pats players didn't do the same thing, I just didn't notice them ... probably because the players weren't injured and the play wasn't replayed 3-5 times allowing me to notice it*

I am always nervous or scared when I see a player at any level do that and stay down injured because of the worst-case possibilities. Hope Carter, Bunkley, etc. are all okay.:salute:

HORSEPOWER 56
01-16-2012, 03:30 PM
As I said in a different thread, I was fast forwarding through the action during the first half and didn't hear or realize the fans were booing the injured Broncos fans. I agree that is a classless thing to do.

On a different note, I have to say that I was surprised by the number of Broncos leading with their head when they made a tackle and resulting in the Broncos player getting injured, at least temporarily *Note I am not whining, bitching or complaining, but merely raising this for discussion*. Carter did it the first time he was injured, and I believe he also did it the second and final time he was injured and didn't return. Bunkley also did it when he caused the fumble and was injured, at least temporarily. *Note, I am not saying that Pats players didn't do the same thing, I just didn't notice them ... probably because the players weren't injured and the play wasn't replayed 3-5 times allowing me to notice it*

I am always nervous or scared when I see a player at any level do that and stay down injured because of the worst-case possibilities. Hope Carter, Bunkley, etc. are all okay.:salute:

It really wasn't leading with the head. I know Phil Simms said it was, but they were trying to hit with the shoulder. Carter's initial injury was when he tackled Gronk (really just stood him up and waited for help) and then took a knee grasping his right shoulder. He went out for a play or two and then came back. What I suspect happened was he had a minor shoulder separation and just thought it was a stinger. The second time probably aggravated it or made it worse and that's when he came out for the rest of the game.

Bunkley was involved in a gang tackle and yes, his head was down, but he wasn't "leading" with the helmet. Neither play was anything different than you see week to week. In order to hit with the shoulder pad, you have to drop your head and during a bang-bang play like that, shit happens.

MNPatsFan
01-16-2012, 03:48 PM
It really wasn't leading with the head. I know Phil Simms said it was, but they were trying to hit with the shoulder. Carter's initial injury was when he tackled Gronk (really just stood him up and waited for help) and then took a knee grasping his right shoulder. He went out for a play or two and then came back. What I suspect happened was he had a minor shoulder separation and just thought it was a stinger. The second time probably aggravated it or made it worse and that's when he came out for the rest of the game.

Bunkley was involved in a gang tackle and yes, his head was down, but he wasn't "leading" with the helmet. Neither play was anything different than you see week to week. In order to hit with the shoulder pad, you have to drop your head and during a bang-bang play like that, shit happens.Horsepower, hard to tell your tone or mood, but you sound a bit defensive. I wasn't trying to make accusations or anything, just more of an observation that although they were trying to tackle with proper technique, several Broncos players (and possibly unnoticed Pats players) inadvertently rammed their heads into opposing players while making a tackle and apparently injured themselves. I don't remember seeing that happening to that extent or number of times in any other single game I have seen in the last several years.

I am probably being overly observant or paranoid due to a High School sophomore hockey player severing his spine and being paralyzed from the neck down after being illegally checked from behind head-first into the boards. *BTW, not equating the tackles by the Broncos/Patriots players to anything illegal* I know the play is bang-bang, but it just makes me cringe when I see a football player fail to get his head to the side of the person he is tackling and then remain down injured.

BTW, using "leading with the helmet" may have made my observation sound more accusatory, which I did not intend. So please forgive my poor choice of words or phrase.

HORSEPOWER 56
01-16-2012, 03:59 PM
Horsepower, hard to tell your tone or mood, but you sound a bit defensive. I wasn't trying to make accusations or anything, just more of an observation that although they were trying to tackle with proper technique, several Broncos players (and possibly unnoticed Pats players) inadvertently rammed their heads into opposing players while making a tackle and apparently injured themselves. I don't remember seeing that happening to that extent or number of times in any other single game I have seen in the last several years.

I am probably being overly observant or paranoid due to a High School sophomore hockey player severing his spine and being paralyzed from the neck down after being illegally checked from behind head-first into the boards. *BTW, not equating the tackles by the Broncos/Patriots players to anything illegal* I know the play is bang-bang, but it just makes me cringe when I see a football player fail to get his head to the side of the person he is tackling and then remain down injured.

BTW, using "leading with the helmet" may have made my observation sound more accusatory, which I did not intend. So please forgive my poor choice of words or phrase.

No, no, I wasn't trying to attack MN, sorry if it sounded like I was. I was just saying what I saw when they showed the replays. Simms has a flair for the overdramatic when it comes to calling a game. Every time there's a good pass, it's the best he's ever seen, every time there's a bad play it's the worst he's ever seen, and every time someone gets hurt he overblows it.

MNPatsFan
01-16-2012, 04:13 PM
No, no, I wasn't trying to attack MN, sorry if it sounded like I was. I was just saying what I saw when they showed the replays. Simms has a flair for the overdramatic when it comes to calling a game. Every time there's a good pass, it's the best he's ever seen, every time there's a bad play it's the worst he's ever seen, and every time someone gets hurt he overblows it.Phil Simms ... flair for the overdramatic and over exaggeration????:confused:

Horsepower, you must jest.;)

:laugh:

Elevation inc
01-16-2012, 11:24 PM
I would have made the patriots beat our team with 250 yards on the ground, and Brady rushing for atleast 50 yards. I would have sent 3 man rushes all night. make it look like blitzes, and still only send 3. This should be the mind set when playing these types of passing teams. Make them rush the ball, and we will shut down the pass.

lol we did that......they owned our nickel and dime looks all night long