PDA

View Full Version : Can we please stop comparing Tebow to Elway

Medford Bronco
01-15-2012, 01:04 PM
This is not valid at all.

Also maybe Tebow is a better "person" and has not divorced his wife etc.

but on the field there is no comparison, even as a rookie. Elway had so much more natural talent and did get to the playoffs as a rookie and in his 2nd season was 13-3.

Its a joke that this is even talked about. I know I will get villified by the Teboites but I am still so aggravated but seeing ground balls and wounded ducks.

Also living in Boston makes this much harder for me. I hate NE so much.

I have all the respect for Brady and a few on the team but want them to lose so badly. I know they will win the Super Bowl because the Boston fans are so spoiled and seem to get everything they want.

I like the Bruins and Sox but hate hate hate the Pats.....Sorry for the big rant. It is going to be a bad week for the puke homers.

PLease Baltimore win today and give me hope. And in the NFC please GB win to have a better chance for me to enjoy my Super Bowl. If the Pats win again. I have to hear about the best team of all time crap again. I want to stick a knife in my eye every time I hear that.

This game hurt me as much as the Jax game in 96 and the Super Bowl in 1990 for different reasons.

I feel better now. :salute: Thanks broncosforums.

Timmy!
01-15-2012, 01:13 PM
I agree, but this won't end well.

Medford Bronco
01-15-2012, 01:14 PM
I agree, but won't end well.

You agree on the Tebow thing or that NE will win the Super Bowl? Just curious Timmy?

Timmy!
01-15-2012, 01:33 PM
You agree on the Tebow thing or that NE will win the Super Bowl? Just curious Timmy?

The tebow thing for sure, but I do think the kid has potential. We will see next year. As for the pats if Brady plays like last night, ugh.

spikerman
01-15-2012, 01:43 PM
The tebow thing for sure, but I do think the kid has potential. We will see next year. As for the pats if Brady plays like last night, ugh.

Brady did play well last night, but I'm going to assume that the rest of the defenses he plays this year will actually try to cover the tight ends at some point.

Nomad
01-15-2012, 01:46 PM
Brady did play well last night, but I'm going to assume that the rest of the defenses he plays this year will actually try to cover the tight ends at some point.

He'll be playing the Ravens next weekend.

SR
01-15-2012, 01:47 PM
I'll say this: Tebow and Elway have few, if any similarities. Anyone who dares compare Tebow with Elway is either high or retarded.

Chef Zambini
01-15-2012, 01:47 PM
next year we will see that a with a full off season interupted by an annual trip to the phillipines, that tebow is still a fullback mascarading as a QB.
he will still show a lack of ability to read defenses before and after the snap, he will still lack poise as a pocket passer, his throwing motion will still be a liability, and his inaccuracy as a passer wont suddenly and dramaticly change like some human metamorphosis.
when we match up against other teams with juggernaut offenses in this modern day pass firendly rules with all its new rules designed to reward a pass happy team, our broncos will look like they did yesterda against the pats.
new year, same inadequacies!
Our defense gave us no chance, tim just made it more obvious.

Chef Zambini
01-15-2012, 01:48 PM
Our gamplan against their TE swas pathetic!
using hernandez as a RB was brilliant, a discriptor that nobody is using to discribe any sector of our coaching staff.

Nomad
01-15-2012, 01:51 PM
next year we will see that a with a full off season interupted by an annual trip to the phillipines, that tebow is still a fullback mascarading as a QB.
he will still show a lack of ability to read defenses before and after the snap, he will still lack poise as a pocket passer, his throwing motion will still be a liability, and his inaccuracy as a passer wont suddenly and dramaticly change like some human metamorphosis.
when we match up against other teams with juggernaut offenses in this modern day pass firendly rules with all its new rules designed to reward a pass happy team, our broncos will look like they did yesterda against the pats.
new year, same inadequacies!
Our defense gave us no chance, tim just made it more obvious.

Does that bother you that you had to mention it?

Chef Zambini
01-15-2012, 01:51 PM
I'll say this: Tebow and Elway have few, if any similarities. Anyone who dares compare Tebow with Elway is either high or retarded.I saluted your post and yet their determination and competitive spirit are very similar.
To compare their passing skills, is of course retaRDED.

Medford Bronco
01-15-2012, 01:52 PM
He'll be playing the Ravens next weekend.

God I hope so. I want Brady to get pressured to see what happens.

he had like a million seconds at times. you give him time, he will destroy you and did..

Nomad
01-15-2012, 01:54 PM
God I hope so. I want Brady to get pressured to see what happens.

he had like a million seconds at times. you give him time, he will destroy you and did..

Unless the Texans wake up and get their heads out of their rearends and score some touchdowns.....the Ravens are going to blow them out.

spikerman
01-15-2012, 01:57 PM
I read in another post - I can't remember who posted it, sorry - that Tebow was going to start his weight training. I hope the Broncos coaches tell him to not worry about that as much as spending the time to become a more consistent passer. Next year he probably really will be playing for his job and hopefully he focuses on the right things.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-15-2012, 01:58 PM
I totally agree with you in comparing Tebow to Elway. For those who feel this is necessary - exactly what are you trying to prove?

The only way a comparison would make sense is if they both were active quarterbacks NOW for the Broncos - each starting games this past season, with opinions being made on which one should be the starter next season, and why.

Medford Bronco
01-15-2012, 02:01 PM
Unless the Texans wake up and get their heads out of their rearends and score some touchdowns.....the Ravens are going to blow them out.

I love Kubiak but the texans with no Schaub have little chance to win....

Medford Bronco
01-15-2012, 02:02 PM
I read in another post - I can't remember who posted it, sorry - that Tebow was going to start his weight training. I hope the Broncos coaches tell him to not worry about that as much as spending the time to become a more consistent passer. Next year he probably really will be playing for his job and hopefully he focuses on the right things.

Maybe he should throw more short passes and learn consistency.

He is not a fullback. More weight does not help you read a defense. throw hundreds of outs and slants and work on that spiral.

Good luck kid... :salute:

spikerman
01-15-2012, 02:02 PM
If there is a player I dislike as much as Ray Lewis I can't think of who it is.

spikerman
01-15-2012, 02:04 PM
Maybe he should throw more short passes and learn consistency.

He is not a fullback. More weight does not help you read a defense. throw hundreds of outs and slants and work on that spiral.

Good luck kid... :salute:

In addition to the footwork, have him work on slants and crossing routes all offseason. Learn to throw to spots and to throw receivers open. Oh, also moving and throwing to his right.

He should spend his nights on film study..........lots of film study.

Northman
01-15-2012, 02:14 PM

Is your dislike based on what happened in 2000? Or just in general? From everything ive seen and heard here in Bmore the guy is a great person and a hell of a football player.

spikerman
01-15-2012, 02:25 PM
Is your dislike based on what happened in 2000? Or just in general? From everything ive seen and heard here in Bmore the guy is a great person and a hell of a football player.

Some of it has to do with the off the field "incident", but now he's just an attention whore. He waits for the camera to get on him so he can start thumping his chest and ranting and raving. He still does that even if he's late to the play. He'll dance around like he just single-handedly won the SB even if he had nothing to do with the play. When he first came in I liked his passion, now I think it's more of an act.

Nomad
01-15-2012, 02:27 PM
Boldin earning his check today.

Medford Bronco
01-15-2012, 02:40 PM
Some of it has to do with the off the field "incident", but now he's just an attention whore. He waits for the camera to get on him so he can start thumping his chest and ranting and raving. He still does that even if he's late to the play. He'll dance around like he just single-handedly won the SB even if he had nothing to do with the play. When he first came in I liked his passion, now I think it's more of an act.

Its like that with most defensive players now. They are so against it with todays NFL rules favoring the offense, I actually dont blame them :lol:

jhildebrand
01-15-2012, 02:48 PM
Comparing QB's from different eras, and let's be real that era is now different, is simply silly.

But the reality is this town, team, and fans will always compare the QB to Elway until someone makes us forget about him a bit. Cutler was on is way then McD'd. Tebow can be compared to Elway in some aspects actually a lot of ways but ultimately it is clear that Tebow's ceiling is no where near Elways.

Medford Bronco
01-15-2012, 02:49 PM
Comparing QB's from different eras, and let's be real that era is now different, is simply silly.

But the reality is this town, team, and fans will always compare the QB to Elway until someone makes is frget about him a bit. Cutler was on is way then McD'd. Tebow can be compared to Elway in some aspects actually a lot of ways but ultimately it is clear that Tebow's ceiling is no where near Elways.

what could have been if Josh the fraud did not trade Cutler. Josh you suck.

spikerman
01-15-2012, 02:51 PM
what could have been if Josh the fraud did not trade Cutler. Josh you suck.

Yes he does, but to be fair, he sucks regardless of the Cutler issue.

Nomad
01-15-2012, 02:53 PM
I'm not much into comparing and would rather see players make a name for themselves no matter what position. I guess everyone has their own opinion of what kind of timeframe the players are given to prove themselves.

BroncoJoe
01-15-2012, 02:54 PM
Actually, Elway was benched his rookie year and did not make the playoffs. He was 13-3 in his 2nd season and made the playoffs though.

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Medford Bronco
01-15-2012, 02:54 PM
Yes he does, but to be fair, he sucks regardless of the Cutler issue.

no he just sucks more for bring in that turd Orton.. and thinking he could be BB which is clearly not.

I hope he is BB successor. that will be when NE comes back to earth... I dont know when that will be, I can dream right....:lol:

Medford Bronco
01-15-2012, 02:56 PM
Actually, Elway was benched his rookie year and did not make the playoffs. He was 13-3 in his 2nd season and made the playoffs though.

The 1983 Broncos lost to Seatle in the WC round. Steve DeBerg came in during the game and at times that year.

Elways first comeback was against the Colts that year.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/198312240sea.htm

look at the boxscore. he did not play well in a 31-7 loss, which I remember.

BroncoJoe
01-15-2012, 03:01 PM
The 1983 Broncos lost to Seatle in the WC round. Steve DeBerg came in during the game and at times that year.

Elways first comeback was against the Colts that year.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/198312240sea.htm

look at the boxscore. he did not play well in a 31-7 loss, which I remember.

I stand corrected on the playoffs. My bad! Totally forgot about that.

That said, John wasn't the reason we got there. He was 4-6 as a starter. DeBerg was 4-1 and Kubs was 1-0.

Medford Bronco
01-15-2012, 03:05 PM
I stand corrected on the playoffs. My bad! Totally forgot about that.

That said, John wasn't the reason we got there. He was 4-6 as a starter. DeBerg was 4-1 and Kubs was 1-0.

he did struggle but I think the 2nd good year was helped with him playing that rookie season. DeBerg was good that season. The closer :lol:

BroncoJoe
01-15-2012, 03:28 PM
he did struggle but I think the 2nd good year was helped with him playing that rookie season. DeBerg was good that season. The closer :lol:

Yep. Don't get me wrong - Elway will alway be the GOAT in my mind - but people in Denver his rookie year were calling for his head on a platter.

Nomad
01-15-2012, 03:34 PM
Yep. Don't get me wrong - Elway will alway be the GOAT in my mind - but people in Denver his rookie year were calling for his head on a platter.

Interesting.......I believe this is where people try and compare Tebow/Elway. I don't remember much of Elway's early years except for perhaps the playoff games.

That's my goal as a fan for next year is to be more patient and not overreact and to believe in the team more.

BroncoJoe
01-15-2012, 03:38 PM
Interesting.......I believe this is where people try and compare Tebow/Elway. I don't remember much of Elway's early years except for perhaps the playoff games.

That's my goal as a fan for next year is to be more patient and not overreact and to believe in the team more.

There are many areas of their early career that are similar. To say "never compare" them is silly.

In fact , many - if not most - analysts figured him to be a bust after that rookie season.

I guess that experience is probably why I get so frustrated with those that constantly dog Tebow. Let's give the kid a chance.

Nomad
01-15-2012, 03:44 PM
Tebow is lucky to be mentored by the best this offseason.

http://kansascity.sbnation.com/kansas-city-chiefs/2012/1/15/2708910/john-elway-plans-to-mentor-tim-tebow-on-technique-in-broncos-offseason

Nomad
01-15-2012, 03:55 PM
Im impressed, spiker,....these officials have let these teams play instead of being trigger happy with the flags.

SR
01-15-2012, 08:29 PM
I saluted your post and yet their determination and competitive spirit are very similar.
To compare their passing skills, is of course retaRDED.

That's like saying "well, they're both white".

sneakers
01-15-2012, 08:31 PM
Every bronco qb will be compared to elway for the forseeable future

spikerman
01-15-2012, 08:32 PM
Im impressed, spiker,....these officials have let these teams play instead of being trigger happy with the flags.

Most officials, at least the ones I know, would much rather be unnoticed during the game.

pnbronco
01-15-2012, 09:19 PM

Thanks for the laugh Spiker......

Hey if you make more games next year let me know. I enjoy you're sense of humor.....and we all know what a goof I am.....:D

Dapper Dan
01-15-2012, 09:25 PM
Every bronco qb will be compared to elway for the forseeable future

That makes sense. But it's a problem when you compare Tebow to Elway. Because a lot of people don't like Tebow.

HORSEPOWER 56
01-15-2012, 09:44 PM
I totally agree with you in comparing Tebow to Elway. For those who feel this is necessary - exactly what are you trying to prove?

The only way a comparison would make sense is if they both were active quarterbacks NOW for the Broncos - each starting games this past season, with opinions being made on which one should be the starter next season, and why.

The point is, and what nobody seems to understand, is that people are NOT comparing Tebow NOW to Elway at the end of his career. They are comparing Tebow's first season to Elway's first season. WHy is that so hard to understand?

People can stop acting like they are offended that someone mentioned Tebow and Elway in the same sentence. It's a legitimate comparison. Had Elway started his first season for us THIS YEAR in the new land of social media "experts", and put up the kind of numbers he did when he played his first season, the same goon squad would be calling for his head.

Did Elway lead the Broncos from 1-4 to a division Championship his first year? Did he throw more TDs than INTs? Did he beat the defending AFC Champs in the playoffs? Does that mean he sucks? Of course not. Does it mean Tebow is as great or ever will be as great as Elway? Of course not.

The point is WE DON'T KNOW WHAT THE FUTURE HOLDS... Had we given up on Elway as fast as people are ready to give up on Tebow we never would've played in those 5 Superbowls and sure as shit wouldn't have won 2. That's the point, and it's the ONLY point anyone is trying to make. Get off your high horses and stop feigning ignorance about what the guys making these comparisons are actually saying. Not one person here had ANY FRICKIN' IDEA that Elway would end up like he did after the 1983 season. The same types of loudmouths who called for him to be benched/traded/cut then have resurfaced now to take a steaming pile of shit on every guy since Elway that didn't immediately live up to their expectations.

Don't try to revise history. Elway isn't untouchable and played plenty of bad games where he stunk up the joint. He even had a couple of bad seasons... it happens. Did he do more good than bad and was he a "franchise" QB (the first and only we've ever had? Yes. Does he deserve to be in the HOF? Of course. Is he arguably one of the top 5 QBs all time? IMO, yes. Are the things he did as the Broncos QB beyond reproach? Um, no.

The second a guy who plays the QB position suits up for Denver he will be compared to Elway. The same way any Colts QB was compared to Unitas and now Andrew Luck will be compared to Manning. It is unavoidable. Nobody is saying Tebow is Elway, is better than Elway, or will be the next Elway. All they are saying is, the fans squawked about Elway, especially early on when he didn't play well and are squawking about Tebow now. The only difference is, Elway was the Golden Child coming out of Stanford and Tebow was the guy all the pundits hated.

Let's see what happens Okay?

Medford Bronco
01-15-2012, 09:55 PM
The point is, and what nobody seems to understand, is that people are NOT comparing Tebow NOW to Elway at the end of his career. They are comparing Tebow's first season to Elway's first season. WHy is that so hard to understand?

People can stop acting like they are offended that someone mentioned Tebow and Elway in the same sentence. It's a legitimate comparison. Had Elway started his first season for us THIS YEAR in the new land of social media "experts", and put up the kind of numbers he did when he played his first season, the same goon squad would be calling for his head.

Did Elway lead the Broncos from 1-4 to a division Championship his first year? Did he throw more TDs than INTs? Did he beat the defending AFC Champs in the playoffs? Does that mean he sucks? Of course not. Does it mean Tebow is as great or ever will be as great as Elway? Of course not.

The point is WE DON'T KNOW WHAT THE FUTURE HOLDS... Had we given up on Elway as fast as people are ready to give up on Tebow we never would've played in those 5 Superbowls and sure as shit wouldn't have won 2. That's the point, and it's the ONLY point anyone is trying to make. Get off your high horses and stop feigning ignorance about what the guys making these comparisons are actually saying. Not one person here had ANY FRICKIN' IDEA that Elway would end up like he did after the 1983 season. The same types of loudmouths who called for him to be benched/traded/cut then have resurfaced now to take a steaming pile of shit on every guy since Elway that didn't immediately live up to their expectations.

Don't try to revise history. Elway isn't untouchable and played plenty of bad games where he stunk up the joint. He even had a couple of bad seasons... it happens. Did he do more good than bad and was he a "franchise" QB (the first and only we've ever had? Yes. Does he deserve to be in the HOF? Of course. Is he arguably one of the top 5 QBs all time? IMO, yes. Are the things he did as the Broncos QB beyond reproach? Um, no.

The second a guy who plays the QB position suits up for Denver he will be compared to Elway. The same way any Colts QB was compared to Unitas and now Andrew Luck will be compared to Manning. It is unavoidable. Nobody is saying Tebow is Elway, is better than Elway, or will be the next Elway. All they are saying is, the fans squawked about Elway, especially early on when he didn't play well and are squawking about Tebow now. The only difference is, Elway was the Golden Child coming out of Stanford and Tebow was the guy all the pundits hated.

Let's see what happens Okay?

Nice post. The only thing that bothers me is Tebow cant throw basic passes that I am sure Elway could, even as a rookie. Otherwise spot on and I know I am one of the skeptics. I just want more and too much hype does not help either.

I hope he is the next HOFer for Denver because it will benefit our team. I wish any QB well that puts on the Orange and Blue.

The next golden child out of Stanford is ironically Luck and we could have had him if Orton plays the whole season :lol: Just kidding.

Dapper Dan
01-15-2012, 09:55 PM
We're comparing Tebow to Rodgers now. You guys are so 2000 and late.

Medford Bronco
01-15-2012, 09:57 PM

:lol:

that is so funny. I wish Tebow could become Rodgers. That means the Broncos would have the best QB in the NFL, even though he had issues today. He WR did not help him either.

spikerman
01-15-2012, 10:06 PM
Thanks for the laugh Spiker......

Hey if you make more games next year let me know. I enjoy you're sense of humor.....and we all know what a goof I am.....:D

You know it ma'am!!!!! I'm going to try really hard to get up for the TB game - my son is a big Buccaneers fan (I'm not sure where I failed) and I definitely want to get up there for the next tailgate!

You're a fantastic lady!

Medford Bronco
01-15-2012, 10:08 PM
You know it ma'am!!!!! I'm going to try really hard to get up for the TB game - my son is a big Buccaneers fan (I'm not sure where I failed) and I definitely want to get up there for the next tailgate!

You're a fantastic lady!

As long as he does not have a puke creamsicle jersey he must be okay. :lol:

Does he have a Doug Williams one or a Brad Johnson special ;)

spikerman
01-15-2012, 10:11 PM
As long as he does not have a puke creamsicle jersey he must be okay. :lol:

Does he have a Doug Williams one or a Brad Johnson special ;)

hahahahahaha... I don't think he has any Buccaneers jerseys, but he's got a ton of other stuff. We went up for the fan fair a couple of years ago and he was so stoked to see John Lynch. He didn't get to get his autograph, but just the look on his face was awesome.

jhildebrand
01-15-2012, 10:11 PM
Don't try to revise history. Elway isn't untouchable and played plenty of bad games where he stunk up the joint. He even had a couple of bad seasons...

That is my beef with all of the Elway talk. Retiring on back to back SB's was HUGE. But people tend to revise history a bit. At a minimum they gloss over or completely forget the rough spots.

My other complaint is they act as though Elway was a pure pocket passer his entire career. Les Shapiro is the worst of that bunch.

Dzone
01-15-2012, 10:15 PM

Since youre so smug and smarter than everyone, why do you bother coming on here other than to insult everyone?

Medford Bronco
01-15-2012, 10:17 PM
That is my beef with all of the Elway talk. Retiring on back to back SB's was HUGE. But people tend to revise history a bit. At a minimum they gloss over or completely forget the rough spots.

My other complaint is they act as though Elway was a pure pocket passer his entire career. Les Shapiro is the worst of that bunch.

Even when he was not winning his back to back Super Bowls, he looked better than Tebow in year 2. So lets not say Elway was shaky. He was the best clutch QB of all time before those 2 SB wins. Maybe you could say Montana but Montana was always winning so that was hard for him to do.

At the end of Elways rookie year he made some of the incredible plays that Tebow could only dream of making. I am sorry but this is so way off base.

Tebow is a good kid but his talent to throw is not even in the same zip code as Elway had, even as a rookie and in year one or two.

I dont hate Tebow, I just think he is being made out to be way better this year than he actually was.

Dapper Dan
01-15-2012, 10:18 PM
Since youre so smug and smarter than everyone, why do you bother coming on here other than to insult everyone?

Well I used to get on here and talk Broncos football but after the Pats game, everyone has had their head up their ass and only bullshit seems to be on here.

SR
01-15-2012, 10:19 PM
Let's compare Tebow to the rest of the QBs that haven't done shit yet because that's the category he belongs in still

Dapper Dan
hahahahahaha... I don't think he has any Buccaneers jerseys, but he's got a ton of other stuff. We went up for the fan fair a couple of years ago and he was so stoked to see John Lynch. He didn't get to get his autograph, but just the look on his face was awesome.

When it comes to the Bucs, the creamsicles are alright, but you gotta love the black jerseys. I still have a worn out Alstott one.

Medford Bronco
Well I used to get on here and talk Broncos football but after the Pats game, everyone has had their head up their ass and only bullshit seems to be on here.

I got your joke. I think it was very funny. :D

Medford Bronco
01-15-2012, 10:20 PM
When it comes to the Bucs, the creamsicles are alright, but you gotta love the black jerseys. I still have a worn out Alstott one.

I dont remember a black one. what year was that from?

Dapper Dan
01-15-2012, 10:22 PM
I dont remember a black one. what year was that from?

I'm pretty sure it's an alternate like our orange alternates. My buddy is a Bucs fan and he had 2 blacks ones. Both replicas. Alstott and Keyshawn. I traded an Under Armour shirt for the Alstott one. I still see it as a steal.

Medford Bronco
01-15-2012, 10:30 PM
Also one other thing I forgot to mention.

Elway played in the NFL where the Wrs could get mugged all over the field and PI would not get called. In the Bill Polian NFL you sneeze on a WR it is a PI or a holding call.

The stats from Elway suffer because of this. If Matthew Stafford played from 83-98 do you think he would get 5000 yards passing and 40 tds. No chance in hell. Different league.

Also Elway had Dan Conservative Reeves as his coach for 10 years. That did not help the number either.

I am not sayine Elway was the best of all time. I say he is top 5 and clearly our best and my most enjoyable athlete I have ever watched, so I am very biased.

I see very little of the same between him and Tebow, exept that they are hard workers and their teammates respond to them in pressure situations. That is good for Tebow. He does have a long way to go to be even a decent NFL QB however.

You wont have Mario Barber, a stupid Dolphins team, a Charger team that choked and a Jets team give you pick 6s to help every year however....

SR
01-15-2012, 10:54 PM
Knob Creek small batch is pretty good.

Medford Bronco
01-16-2012, 07:20 AM

Philip rivers for me baecause of his smugness. I also hate favre the db crybaby whiner. I am retiring no i am not yes i am no i am not. Bla bla crap

HORSEPOWER 56
01-16-2012, 10:41 AM
Nice post. The only thing that bothers me is Tebow cant throw basic passes that I am sure Elway could, even as a rookie. Otherwise spot on and I know I am one of the skeptics. I just want more and too much hype does not help either.

I hope he is the next HOFer for Denver because it will benefit our team. I wish any QB well that puts on the Orange and Blue.

The next golden child out of Stanford is ironically Luck and we could have had him if Orton plays the whole season :lol: Just kidding.

I know the point you're trying to make, Med. Could you point out specifically which passes Tebow can't make? Tebow has made every throw in the route tree at least once this season. The short curl, the deep comeback, the crossing route, the seam pass, the deep "dig" or in route, the deep out, the corner, the post, the wheel, and of course everyone's favorite the "9" or fly route. He even threw back shoulder vs the Steelers and Phil Simms made the comment of "I didn't think he could throw it back shoulder with accuracy but he just did".

His problem isn't that he can't make all the throws, it's that he's not consistent in doing it right now. Tebow needs reps and coaching to work on his consistency and anticipation. He understands that an incompletion is better than an INT and so he beaches the ball or throws it away vice taking risks most of the time which makes him look more inaccurate than he really is. It also forces him to hold the ball a little longer than he should while he waits for receivers to uncover.

The times Tebow has thrown INTs this year are because he's tried to make those small window throws or thrown to receivers who weren't "wide open" in one on one situations and the DB has just made a better play on the ball than the WR did. The Buffalo game comes to mind. Decker was open deep, Tebow made a beautiful pass, but didn't look off the Safety, and it was a pick 6. He learned from that like all young QBs do. The TD pass to Royal vs Pittsburgh was a perfect example of his development because he did look off the Safety giving Royal a 1 on 1 and delivered about the best possible pass he could. Royal isn't a "go get it" WR. To complete a pass to Eddie, it pretty much has to hit him in the breadbasket.

Every young QB wants wide open WRs and in Tebow's case, if they aren't he'll break contain and try to scramble until someone gets "wide open". Elway did it too early on. Tim and his young WRs don't have a lot of chemistry right now and there have been several instances where Tebow delivered a catchable ball that was dropped. These things come with time. We gave Orton 2 1/2 losing seasons to prove he was the guy - and he was an 8 year vet. We can afford to give Tebow 2-3 to prove he is or isn't.

I have no doubt he'll improve as a passer going into his 3rd season and second as the actual starter. Reps, reps, reps. He'll get those this year with the WRs who he'll actually be throwing to. Remember last summer when he flew some WRs down to FL to practice with during the lockout? Who were they? Gaffney and Lloyd... the guys he thought he'd be throwing to...

Make ZERO mistake here, I'm not saying Tebow will ever be a top quality passer, I'd just like to see what the guy can do practicing and getting coaching from the guys he's actually going to play with in the regular season. With the exception of Mike McCoy, everything changed for Tebow this year. New QB Coach and HC, two new (and younger/inexperienced) starting WRs who were learning along with him, new TE, new starting RB. Let's just see what happens this offseason and how he looks headed into next year. My money is on improvement in the passing game and the ability to get away from the read-option some.

Medford Bronco
01-16-2012, 11:41 AM
I know the point you're trying to make, Med. Could you point out specifically which passes Tebow can't make? Tebow has made every throw in the route tree at least once this season. The short curl, the deep comeback, the crossing route, the seam pass, the deep "dig" or in route, the deep out, the corner, the post, the wheel, and of course everyone's favorite the "9" or fly route. He even threw back shoulder vs the Steelers and Phil Simms made the comment of "I didn't think he could throw it back shoulder with accuracy but he just did".

His problem isn't that he can't make all the throws, it's that he's not consistent in doing it right now. Tebow needs reps and coaching to work on his consistency and anticipation. He understands that an incompletion is better than an INT and so he beaches the ball or throws it away vice taking risks most of the time which makes him look more inaccurate than he really is. It also forces him to hold the ball a little longer than he should while he waits for receivers to uncover.

The times Tebow has thrown INTs this year are because he's tried to make those small window throws or thrown to receivers who weren't "wide open" in one on one situations and the DB has just made a better play on the ball than the WR did. The Buffalo game comes to mind. Decker was open deep, Tebow made a beautiful pass, but didn't look off the Safety, and it was a pick 6. He learned from that like all young QBs do. The TD pass to Royal vs Pittsburgh was a perfect example of his development because he did look off the Safety giving Royal a 1 on 1 and delivered about the best possible pass he could. Royal isn't a "go get it" WR. To complete a pass to Eddie, it pretty much has to hit him in the breadbasket.

Every young QB wants wide open WRs and in Tebow's case, if they aren't he'll break contain and try to scramble until someone gets "wide open". Elway did it too early on. Tim and his young WRs don't have a lot of chemistry right now and there have been several instances where Tebow delivered a catchable ball that was dropped. These things come with time. We gave Orton 2 1/2 losing seasons to prove he was the guy - and he was an 8 year vet. We can afford to give Tebow 2-3 to prove he is or isn't.

I have no doubt he'll improve as a passer going into his 3rd season and second as the actual starter. Reps, reps, reps. He'll get those this year with the WRs who he'll actually be throwing to. Remember last summer when he flew some WRs down to FL to practice with during the lockout? Who were they? Gaffney and Lloyd... the guys he thought he'd be throwing to...

Make ZERO mistake here, I'm not saying Tebow will ever be a top quality passer, I'd just like to see what the guy can do practicing and getting coaching from the guys he's actually going to play with in the regular season. With the exception of Mike McCoy, everything changed for Tebow this year. New QB Coach and HC, two new (and younger/inexperienced) starting WRs who were learning along with him, new TE, new starting RB. Let's just see what happens this offseason and how he looks headed into next year. My money is on improvement in the passing game and the ability to get away from the read-option some.

Yes over the top for Med. I think that this is apples to bananas with the era's style of football and my knowledge now vs when I was a kid.

I also think the 2012 league is QB friendly that even mediocre QBs of the past 25 years or so would be good now. Someone like Joe Theisman who as decent would be top 5 and even Phil Simms who was good would be a Pro Bowler every year.

Just a small mans take. Take it or leave it. Go Broncos no matter what...

PS the passes that he makes 2 of 10 times are those basic in cuts, slants and the down and outs that are so ugly and thrown into the ground. I wish the kid well. Elway made those even when young. I think the over the top Tebowites are making a point and I am over the top on the Elway side.. Agree to disagree and I will move on... :salute:

Dapper Dan
01-16-2012, 12:27 PM
Knob Creek small batch is pretty good.

I like Baker's, because it's my last name. It comes from the same Beam family.