PDA

View Full Version : End of year: Mike Mccoy

underrated29
01-15-2012, 12:05 PM
OK, the year is over. What do you think about Mike Mccoy?

Northman
01-15-2012, 12:06 PM
Not enamored really, but he was limited with what he could work with.

chazoe60
01-15-2012, 12:07 PM
I think, whether because of his lack of trust in Tebow or his lack of imagination, he is a horrid playcaller especially when we are behind by more than a TD. Run, run, deep routes, punt is one shitty gameplan.

MOtorboat
01-15-2012, 12:08 PM
Quarterback who can't throw, wide receivers who can't catch, offensive line that was inconsistent at best.

Sometimes, when people were complaining about play calling I wasn't sure what the hell he was supposed to do.

Ravage!!!
01-15-2012, 12:08 PM
Depends, who's at QB? If its Tebow, we better keep him.

underrated29
01-15-2012, 12:09 PM
There is a poll.

Skinny
01-15-2012, 12:14 PM
I thought McCoy did a great job adjusting to Tebows strengths/weaknesses. His play calling leaves much to be desired but he was limited with what he could do.

Like Rav said and i agree, if we stick with Tebow, we might better keep him.

underrated29
01-15-2012, 12:15 PM
Quarterback who can't throw, wide receivers who can't catch, offensive line that was inconsistent at best.

Sometimes, when people were complaining about play calling I wasn't sure what the hell he was supposed to do.

not be predictable.

I didnt get to watch all the game but after our first 2 drives I knew we were going to lose...

NE has a crappy defense and yet they stuffed us because they knew everything we were going to do. How many times is he going to call that stupid toss option and get stuffed. How many times is he going to let the defense blitz the hell out of tebow and not call plays to slow it down or negate it? Why does he only ever call go routes with double moves?

When the safties are back and playing zone you shorten the field. Not try to get over the top, especially when they are bringing the blitz.

HERE is mccoys favorite plan.

Run right.
Run option left.
3rd and 9- go routes, pa pass.
punt

NEXT SERIES:
rinse and repeat

Next series
rinse and repeat

The guy only has about 12 plays, and unlike shannahan they are all run out of practically the same formation, nothing is disguised, nothing keeps the D on their toes or guessing. They know whats coming, you and I know whats coming. IMO that is not a professional. And our team is professional. We need a professional play caller. We just do. We have to.

How else do you explain why our offense looks so awesome some weeks and then so terrible others.

Foochacho
01-15-2012, 12:15 PM
He is awful but so is the talent, not sure where to throw the blame. Everyone deserves a little.

Oline needs work, maybe if they can get it together we could use tightends in our passing game, instead of block support. Using tight ends might free up our shitty receivers a little more. Our receivers getting a little more seperation and a tight end to throw to might help Tebow develop. Tebow needs to learn to throw and work with what he has.

The talent level is bad all over, but McCoy still seems like a shitty playcaller to me. We just played these guys and we came out with the same gameplan we have used all year. You have to switch it up especially against a team that has already saw you once. This is why we ran all over KC and new england in the first matchup, and got embarrassed in the next meeting. That is on McCoy.

Northman
01-15-2012, 12:16 PM
Yea, if the plan is too go with Tebow next year you cant dump McCoy at this point. It goes back to all the talk about Tebow being young, so is the rest of the team and if Tebow is your guy you need to keep the coaches and players in place for consistency. Just draft for depth and hit the FA market other needs.

Thnikkaman
01-15-2012, 12:17 PM
I'll give him the same leash I'm giving Tebow. Shore me what you can do after you have had a full offseason

Northman
01-15-2012, 12:18 PM
How many times is he going to let the defense blitz the hell out of tebow and not call plays to slow it down or negate it?

Why would he abandon what has got us there in the first place? Answer: He cant.

Tebow is not Brady, he cant perform anything outside the box that they have set up for him. He cant run a conventional offense according to Fox so why would they deviate from what has gotten them where they are? Its easy for people to say do this or do that but if your QB cant execute it than it doesnt make any sense.

MOtorboat
01-15-2012, 12:19 PM
I'll give him the same leash I'm giving Tebow. Shore me what you can do after you have had a full offseason

I think this is more than fair.

Ravage!!!
01-15-2012, 12:22 PM
OCs go with your strengths and what you ahve been practicing ALL year long. Tim is BEST at the option. He reads it the best, he knows it the best, and he feels comfortable with it the most. We kept to the game plan despite being 14 points down, and came right back within 7 points.

The problem is, despite people not wanting to acknowledge it, is that TEbow is REALLY bad at throwing from the pocket and running a passing offense that would even THINK about us trying to score with NE.

So what does McCoy do early in the game? Try to do somthing they havent' been doing all year long, out of Tebow's comfort zone, or do you stick with the plan, continue doing what you do best, and hope that the defense makes some stops..and some turnovers... so that we can CONTINUE to do what we've always done....... and what has worked?

Coaches don't simply change the calls because someone stopped it. You make an adjustment in the call, and you EXECUTE The play better. There is a counter to every counter. One time Tebow kept the ball when he should have pitched it, and the next time he OBVIOUSLY shoudl have kept it and cut up, and instead he pitched it to Royal. So it comes down to execution, even if you are running the simple stuff.

The playcalling was NOT the problem. The problem is we were simply out matched, and we knew it was going to happen. We were a lucky team to get where we were. OF course we were out matched by the Patriots.

HORSEPOWER 56
01-15-2012, 12:27 PM
Predictable? Yes, but he did a decent job turning chicken shit into something resembling chicken salad. He had no offseason and very little time to work with Tebow before he was named the starter. Remember, he originally thought Orton was his QB so he had to effectively install a new scheme and plays mid-stream.

No he wasn't imaginative and was very predictable, but he did attempt to play call to our strengths. The only thing I really have negative to say was that on some of the occasions he did attempt to mix it up and throw in a wrinkle, it usually worked, which was good, but after a drive or two, we were right back to the same old plan.

I have no doubt he'll get another year. This was a push year for pretty much all the coaches being their first year without a real offseason of prep. Obviously if there isn't some improvement in the play calling and in offensive execution, perhaps we should look elsewhere, but in all fairness, McCoy had more starting rookies and 2nd year players on offense than any other team in the league.

Northman
01-15-2012, 12:29 PM
OCs go with your strengths and what you ahve been practicing ALL year long. Tim is BEST at the option. He reads it the best, he knows it the best, and he feels comfortable with it the most. We kept to the game plan despite being 14 points down, and came right back within 7 points.

The problem is, despite people not wanting to acknowledge it, is that TEbow is REALLY bad at throwing from the pocket and running a passing offense that would even THINK about us trying to score with NE.

So what does McCoy do early in the game? Try to do somthing they havent' been doing all year long, out of Tebow's comfort zone, or do you stick with the plan, continue doing what you do best, and hope that the defense makes some stops..and some turnovers... so that we can CONTINUE to do what we've always done....... and what has worked?

Coaches don't simply change the calls because someone stopped it. You make an adjustment in the call, and you EXECUTE The play better. There is a counter to every counter. One time Tebow kept the ball when he should have pitched it, and the next time he OBVIOUSLY shoudl have kept it and cut up, and instead he pitched it to Royal. So it comes down to execution, even if you are running the simple stuff.

The playcalling was NOT the problem. The problem is we were simply out matched, and we knew it was going to happen. We were a lucky team to get where we were. OF course we were out matched by the Patriots.

I agree with most of this however i will only disagree on one point and that is i dont think Tim is bad at throwing from the pocket, only inconsistent. Way more than your average QB and thats the part that worries me longterm if he cant fix that. Ive seen him make some great passes but its too far and in between and in games like yesterday we needed to see what we saw from the week before but once we got behind the Pats defense just pinned their ears back and came after him.

chazoe60
01-15-2012, 12:32 PM
McCoy can't go another season calling run plays on first down the way he has. Tebow needs to improve and give McCoy the confidence to call more pass plays but McCoy is also going to have to man up and take the leap.

camdisco24
01-15-2012, 12:37 PM
McCoy can't go another season calling run plays on first down the way he has. Tebow needs to improve and give McCoy the confidence to call more pass plays but McCoy is also going to have to man up and take the leap.

It has to be a two way street. I think McCoy will get better as Tebow gets better honestly. He has to give Tebow a chance to get better though.... Hopefully a full off season will do wonders.

underrated29
01-15-2012, 12:43 PM
Yea, if the plan is too go with Tebow next year you cant dump McCoy at this point. It goes back to all the talk about Tebow being young, so is the rest of the team and if Tebow is your guy you need to keep the coaches and players in place for consistency. Just draft for depth and hit the FA market other needs.

While I agree with that, i dont with mccoy. I feel mccoy is hindering tebows development more than he is helping. And dont get me wrong he is helping tebow, he is, but I think for the 10 steps forward he is making, mccoy is also going 12 steps back.

Northman
01-15-2012, 12:46 PM
While I agree with that, i dont with mccoy. I feel mccoy is hindering tebows development more than he is helping. And dont get me wrong he is helping tebow, he is, but I think for the 10 steps forward he is making, mccoy is also going 12 steps back.

Unfortuantely, its a double edged sword. Look what happened to Bradford with McDaniels this year. Not too mention isnt McCoy one of Fox's guys? Either way, there has to be some consistency on this team from the coaching staff all the way down to the players. If we go with Teebs next year i just dont think its a great idea to replace McCoy at this time. Right now, we dont know if the problem is McCoy or Tebow himself.

arapaho2
01-15-2012, 01:42 PM
people need to remember mccoy has been here since 2009

he is not new...

then people need to remember the predicatbility of our offense in 09-2010 with mccoy

then realize our scoreing offense with a young qb...who supposedly cannot throw...is right where its always been with mcccoy

2009...20.4ppg
2010..21.5ppg
2011..19.3ppg

terrible!!!

Chef Zambini
01-15-2012, 02:00 PM
IF THE GAMEPLAN IS TO GO WITH tebow then you need a CREATIVE MIND to make use of tebows special skills while diminishing his short-comings.
I dont think Mc coy is that guy, he lacks creativity, thats obvious !
proper coaching is critical!
How much better would this same team be if we still had kubiak and philips/ !!!
hey, i can dream, cant I ?

jhildebrand
01-15-2012, 02:42 PM
My thought on McCoy:

McCoy is an OC a little too soon. He didn't do well here under McDaniels but many people would argue McD was the OC. If so, then he is still an OC too soon.

As for this year, McCoy admitted he didn't want to go to the read option for two reasons:

1. He didn't know it
2. He felt he wouldn't get another job in the league if it failed.

So that tells me two things about the guy. He is happy taking the credit, a la the Jags interview, for something he has admittedly known nothing about. 2. If he didn't know this offense, then where on the staff did it come from?

The bottom line for me on McCoy is he, and Fox, were content letting ALL of the pressure be on their young QB. A good coach will do whatever he can to take the pressure of that guy. Look no further than Harbaugh and Alex Smith. They were content in letting the kid have an IMMENSE amount of pressure on him when in reality the PRESSURE should have been EQUALLY intense on them. To see this team not call a boot or roll out last night until the game was WAY OUT OF HAND is inexcusable.

For me McCoy has shown to be worried about himself first, shown to be a guy who is afraid to trust his player(s), and is simply in over his head. I think he will be a good OC but this is all too soon.

FlyByU
01-15-2012, 03:07 PM
McCoy should have been fired as soon as the plane landed in Denver...

sneakers
01-15-2012, 04:37 PM
There is a poll.

that's what she said....

bcbronc
01-15-2012, 05:09 PM
I'm not enamored with McCoy, but think the organisation benefits from some continuity. Too many consecutive years with changes in our FO/coaching staff/QB.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-15-2012, 05:18 PM
Owner Stephen Ross said Friday that the Dolphins want to move ahead immediately with its head coaching search, but that some of their candidates are on teams still playing in the playoffs.

Well, three solid candidates became available on Saturday when the Saints and Broncos were eliminated. Saints offensive coordinator Pete Carmichael, Saints offensive line coach Aaron Kromer and Broncos Mike McCoy should be near or at the top of the Dolphins’ list, as we write about in today’s Post.

CBS’ Charley Casserly reported Saturday that the Dolphins do, in fact, have Carmichael and McCoy on their radar, as well as Ravens defensive coordinator Chuck Pagano. Now that the Broncos and Saints are eliminated, expect the first two coaches to come to Davie in the coming week. Kromer is a bit of a darkhorse, but he was set to interview for the Rams job before they hired Jeff Fisher.

2012/01/15/miami-dolphins-talking-points-expect-dolphins-to-start-interviewing-broncos-and-saints-candidates-immediately/

NightTerror218
01-15-2012, 05:42 PM
my first question at church today was what happened to the play calling? my buddy asked me that and how come it looked identical to the 3 game skid we had at end of season and not like the Steelers game.

I could not answer. He mentioned TEs were not involved in passing game and no play action like last week much more option.

MOtorboat
01-15-2012, 05:50 PM
my first question at church today was what happened to the play calling? my buddy asked me that and how come it looked identical to the 3 game skid we had at end of season and not like the Steelers game.

I could not answer. He mentioned TEs were not involved in passing game and no play action like last week much more option.

And yet the SAME playcalling put Denver where they were in the first place.

That tells me execution was the problem.

NightTerror218
01-15-2012, 05:56 PM
And yet the SAME playcalling put Denver where they were in the first place.

That tells me execution was the problem.

Yah it worked when it took people off guard at first. But it got predictable and teams planned on it. Steelers game was by far the best playcalling i have seen from this team. It had lots of play action, TE on slants over the middle, and ran option/spread/power running and normal NFL offense. It was changing it up but still sticking to running a lot.

I see a lot of run run run and punt. That drives me nuts. I also see 3rd and long passing plays ways too often. Great stat the other night. Denver had 1 first down passing play in 25 first downs.

Chef Zambini
01-15-2012, 06:01 PM
McCoy should have been fired as soon as the plane landed in Denver...is that because there were no parachutes on board?

MOtorboat
01-15-2012, 06:04 PM
Yah it worked when it took people off guard at first. But it got predictable and teams planned on it. Steelers game was by far the best playcalling i have seen from this team. It had lots of play action, TE on slants over the middle, and ran option/spread/power running and normal NFL offense. It was changing it up but still sticking to running a lot.

I see a lot of run run run and punt. That drives me nuts. I also see 3rd and long passing plays ways too often. Great stat the other night. Denver had 1 first down passing play in 25 first downs.

It was the same playcalling. Why? Because it worked. The execution was just better against Pittsburgh. It was the same plays.

rcsodak
01-15-2012, 06:06 PM
Ask LeBeau why he didnt follow ditka's proven way to defense TT and the broncos.
Having wide open wr's has not been the norm for this team.
Nor the holding TT in the pocket with no pressure.

Lebeau out-thunk himself, imo.

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Chef Zambini
01-15-2012, 06:07 PM

i call bullshit on the run, run, run, punt consecutive play calls, especially against the pats. go to the play by play and call me out if i am wrong.
mccoy aint no jeenyuz, but he would have been smart in my book if he actualy did recuce the pass attempts and called consecutive run plays 3 times in a row!
TEBOW was never incouraged to run thew ball with conviction, many times he had open lanes to run, but stopped to look around for a receiver, only to get tackled behind the LOS in the process.

rationalfan
01-15-2012, 07:00 PM
My theory: if McCoy was named "anyone else" and wasn't connected to mcd's legacy, he'd get more praise.

Personally, I thought he was quite inventive and clever using the talent he had to work with. People complained about the run heavy game plans, but he worked to the team's strength and away from a weakness by doing it.

He was open minded and unafraid of changing game plans week to week. I like that in a coordinator.

Flame on.

underrated29
01-15-2012, 07:08 PM
My theory: if McCoy was named "anyone else" and wasn't connected to mcd's legacy, he'd get more praise.

Flame on.

That would be understandable except I have disliked him since he arrived. I have had my sig this way since before the regular season even started.

What i care about is total lack of knowledge for playcalling, neutralizing the blitz, etc etc etc etc etc

rationalfan
01-15-2012, 07:29 PM

Flame on.

That would be understandable except I have disliked him since he arrived. I have had my sig this way since before the regular season even started.

What i care about is total lack of knowledge for playcalling, neutralizing the blitz, etc etc etc etc etc

Sounds a bit like a self fulfilling prophecy.

underrated29
01-15-2012, 07:31 PM
Sounds a bit like a self fulfilling prophecy.

Hey the guys sucks.

Some of us didnt have to wait for tebow to be our QB to see it.

MOtorboat
01-15-2012, 07:35 PM
Hey the guys sucks.

Some of us didnt have to wait for tebow to be our QB to see it.

He didn't call plays until Tebow was the quarterback last year.

From what I've seen, its Tebow and Orton, not the playcalling.

I Eat Staples
01-15-2012, 08:17 PM
Option 6 is the only correct answer.

Seriously, though, he's been terrible for years and should have been fired with McD and the rest of his high-school caliber staff.

underrated29
01-15-2012, 08:40 PM
Option 6 is the only correct answer.

Seriously, though, he's been terrible for years and should have been fired with McD and the rest of his high-school caliber staff.

Agree and disagree....

terrible for years yes, but i disagree that he should not have been fired last year. However this year he had to prove himself and he once again he Failed Miserably and MUST leave.

Praying Jacksonville or whoever/wherever else wants to hire him.

jhildebrand
01-16-2012, 12:40 PM
Finally, this: Denver cannot enter the 2012 season with the same predictable play-calling, with that inside handoff or Tebow sprinting into an option. It limits the offense way too much.

The play calling, while not as bad as the Chiefs game, was still closing in on atrocious.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/peter_king/01/16/divisionals/index.html#ixzz1jdtIMd6h

Lancane
01-16-2012, 01:13 PM

And with us probably keeping most of the same said players, do you really think he'll fair much better?

underrated29
01-16-2012, 01:27 PM
It was the same playcalling. Why? Because it worked. The execution was just better against Pittsburgh. It was the same plays.

No it was not the same Mo.

Please go back and show me 5 plays in any game this year before the playoffs where we ran the PA Boot.

Please also go back and show me 5 plays where we ran a screen. I will even include wr bubble screens, slip screens, any freaking screens.

Tebow played in like 11 games this year. I am only asking you to find 10 plays. If they were the same plays you should easily find them.

Nick
01-16-2012, 01:40 PM
McCoy is least of our worries. It is the execution. People want him to make this huge meal with out the ingredients.

The only thing I blame McCoy is overachieving and having us stay in games. We lost in playoffs w/out McCoy we would have had 2-3 wins this year. The team has many glaring holes and we are drafting with teams with not nearly the holes we have.

The one thing Tebow brings to this team. It is more profitable going 8-8 then 14-2 and losing in championship w/Tebow Fact.

We just saw one of the worst QB performances in the history of the playoffs. We have some legit receivers, If we had a QB throwing...

While I am fine with what ever decision the Broncos go with... We are 2 years away rebuilding because we not going to luck out against a ton of injury plagued teams like we did this year.

OR

5 years by going the wrong direction again...

NightTerror218
01-16-2012, 08:00 PM
He didn't call plays until Tebow was the quarterback last year.

From what I've seen, its Tebow and Orton, not the playcalling.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

MOtorboat
01-16-2012, 09:04 PM
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Good argument.

People bitched and moaned endlessly about how terrible Orton was. Not a peep about McCoy. Not a peep. And then everybody's love toy doesn't succeed and it's the offensive coordinator's fault.

Every play ever designed, and ever called, goes for a touchdown. Every one.

Execution is the key.

camdisco24
01-16-2012, 09:12 PM
Good argument.

People bitched and moaned endlessly about how terrible Orton was. Not a peep about McCoy. Not a peep. And then everybody's love toy doesn't succeed and it's the offensive coordinator's fault.

Every play ever designed, and ever called, goes for a touchdown. Every one.

Execution is the key.

I saw plenty of people complaining about McCoy during the 1-4 start. I was one of them.

He's a good coach, but he never really seemed comfortable with our scheme, especially when Tebow came in.

MOtorboat
01-16-2012, 09:16 PM
I saw plenty of people complaining about McCoy during the 1-4 start. I was one of them.

He's a good coach, but he never really seemed comfortable with our scheme, especially when Tebow came in.

Sure he did. One of the reason's Denver won so many games is because the conservative nature kept the game close.

People bitched endlessly about throwing on first down.

Hardly ever threw on first down against Pittsburgh (think it was 20 of 22 first downs were runs including the last play). It didn't have an effect there.

camdisco24
01-16-2012, 09:22 PM
Sure he did. One of the reason's Denver won so many games is because the conservative nature kept the game close.

People bitched endlessly about throwing on first down.

Hardly ever threw on first down against Pittsburgh (think it was 20 of 22 first downs were runs including the last play). It didn't have an effect there.

I guess my main concern with McCoy (maybe this is a product of Foxball too) is that he never went for the kill early. The conservative play calling is fine sometimes, but I'd much rather win games outright and use any and all momentum to our advantage. He rarely tried to capitalize on big plays back to back, which got very frustrating to watch at times.

NE is a perfect example, if they can get things rolling early, they pounce. We were a victim of that this weekend. Being conservative will only get you so far, and it can really bite you if you fail to take chances when they are laid out in front of you.

MOtorboat
01-16-2012, 09:26 PM
Touche. But I felt they did try to do that the first time against New England, and then against Buffalo and that's when the turnovers happened.

camdisco24
01-16-2012, 09:33 PM
Touche. But I felt they did try to do that the first time against New England, and then against Buffalo and that's when the turnovers happened.

In those cases yes. My hope is, if Tebow improves enough in the off season, they can come out early and get him in a rhythm. Those games are a good examples of the bad side of Tebow's learning curve this season. Hopefully McCoy is up to that challenge if he sticks around. Tebow will have to help him get there.