PDA

View Full Version : Offseason Priorities

Ziggy
01-15-2012, 03:30 AM
This team has a lot of holes. The fact that they made it to the 2nd round of the playoffs is a testament to the heart of the players, great job by the coaching staff, and some dumb luck. I'd say that the Broncos got more out of the talent they have than any team in the NFL. JMO

Now that the offseason has begun, we might as well start looking at what Denver needs to do to take that next step. The priorites will be argued all offseason long, but here's my order.

1. Re-build the interior offensive line. Yes, I know that the Broncos were #1 in the NFL in rushing this season. I believe that it's more due to scheme, Tebow giving the defense extra options to have to read, and great coaching. When the Broncos were forced to run a conventional offense and pass the ball, they were exposed and humiliated. 3 and outs were more common than 1st downs until the games were in garbage time.

Detroit- 45-10
Green Bay- 49-23
New England 41-23, and 45-10
Buffalo- 40-14

Yes, this is also a product of our defense giving up a lot of points. We can talk all day about the chicken and the egg theory with this, but when the defense was kept off of the field for a decent amount of time they came through. Denver is the most one dimensional team in the NFL. That's both the product of an irratic passing QB, and an offensive line that can't block effectively.

2. Replace Joe Mays- He's the worst starting MLB in the NFL, and shouldn't be on the field outside of special teams. He missed 7 tackles in the Pittsburgh game alone, and that's not counting the plays he took himself out of by shooting the wrong gap. Denver spent too much of this season playing a 10 man defense with 11 men on the field.

3. Re-sign Bunkley- He was a pleasant surprise this season, and a big reason for the improvement on defense. He held the POA consistently, and needs to be a part of the defensive core group moving forward.

4. Sign or draft an impact UT- This defense was soft up the middle. I attribute half of that to the poor play of Joe Mays, and the other half to not having a legit starting UT. Marcus Thomas play decently, but he's a backup caliber DT in the NFL.

5. Sign or draft a RB- McGahee was a great signing and a pleasant surprise. He needs to be option 1b. He too far past his prime to last the entire season as a starting 1A RB.

6. Improve the safety play- Moore was a huge disappointment. I actually like Quinton Carter going forward. Dawk may or may not be back. I'd like to see an intimidator brought in at SS, with Carter playing the FS spot. Guys like Gronkowski and Hernandez may have caught some balls over the middle against Dennis Smith and Steve Atwater, but they would have either slowed down over the course of the game or left on a stretcher. Make em pay!

7. Improve the depth at CB- Most folks will have this as a top 3 priority, but I believe that Harris is a legit 2nd corner, and SydQuan and Cassius Vaughn will give us decent depth.

8. Add speed to the offense. We need a guy that can take a routine play and take it to the house. It's a dimension that this team is sorely lacking.

I'm assuming that Tebow will improve during his offseason training with Elway. He's earned another year to prove himself.

bcbronc
01-15-2012, 04:01 AM
This team has a lot of holes. The fact that they made it to the 2nd round of the playoffs is a testament to the heart of the players, great job by the coaching staff, and some dumb luck. I'd say that the Broncos got more out of the talent they have than any team in the NFL. JMO

Now that the offseason has begun, we might as well start looking at what Denver needs to do to take that next step. The priorites will be argued all offseason long, but here's my order.

1. Re-build the interior offensive line. Yes, I know that the Broncos were #1 in the NFL in rushing this season. I believe that it's more due to scheme, Tebow giving the defense extra options to have to read, and great coaching. When the Broncos were forced to run a conventional offense and pass the ball, they were exposed and humiliated. 3 and outs were more common than 1st downs until the games were in garbage time.

I don't think you have to rebuild the interior line, but they do need to get better. A good offseason should make that happen, and if we start the same five starters next season it will be the first time in a while we won't have a rookie starter.

Continuity is hugely important in OL play and time together in the same scheme and with the same coaches is the best way to develop a great OL. Both Beadles and Walton need to do some heavy lifting in the offseason, but overall I felt the OL showed positive signs of growth through the season, albeit inconsistently.

Do agree we need to draft a G/C option in rounds 2-4. Don't know what Kuper's situation will be, and we need depth and competition. If the draftee comes in and outplays an incumbent, fine. But I wouldn't make changes just for the sake of making changes.

2. Replace Joe Mays-

MLB has to be a huge priority.

3. Re-sign Bunkley-

Can't be done soon enough.

4. Sign or draft an impact UT- This defense was soft up the middle. I attribute half of that to the poor play of Joe Mays, and the other half to not having a legit starting UT. Marcus Thomas play decently, but he's a backup caliber DT in the NFL.

one thing here is we did lose two DTs, Ty Warren and the slimmed down Vickerson, which would have made our rotation much stronger. Imo the bigger issues down the middle are at LB and S. You can always improve at DT, but it's not a top priority for me at this point.

5. Sign or draft a RB- McGahee was a great signing and a pleasant surprise. He needs to be option 1b. He too far past his prime to last the entire season as a starting 1A RB.

Agreed. I like Moreno as a 3rd down back, I think his body has shown it can't handle being more than that. So we need a 1a that runs physical but ideally has some break away speed.

I also put a bad ass FB in here. We want to be a power running team, so let's get a power blocking FB.

6. Improve the safety play-

It's a bit of a black hole right now, lots of unanswered questions. Dawkins is probably gone. Carter made strides late but played pretty bad for most of the season. Moore couldn't beat out some guy no one even knew was on the roster a couple of weeks ago.

But the other hand says they're both rookies and you don't want to give up on them too soon. We've invested picks in them, and any resources we additionally spend on the position means not trying to upgrade other areas of need.

If the coaches decide it's time to move Champ (I think it is), that clears things up a bit. Champ, Carter, Moore and a second tier UFA, then reevaluate this time next season.

7. Improve the depth at CB- Most folks will have this as a top 3 priority, but I believe that Harris is a legit 2nd corner, and SydQuan and Cassius Vaughn will give us decent depth.

I have it as #1 priority, right there with adding depth at RB. I don't want to depend on Harris to be a #2 next season. Imo we need to draft one early, maybe another late and sign a solid FA. I wouldnt mind as many as three new starters in the defensive secondary, assuming Dawkins retires. Only guy I for sure feel should be starting next season is Champ, and even with him at what position is open for discussion.

8. Add speed to the offense. We need a guy that can take a routine play and take it to the house. It's a dimension that this team is sorely lacking.

We do have that guy that took a quick slant 80 yards in OT. And Royal has good speed and big play ability. Someone from the backfield would be nice though, and maybe a TE that can really stretch the seam.

I'm assuming that Tebow will improve during his offseason training with Elway. He's earned another year to prove himself.

I don't know about another year. He deserves to be the #1 when camp opens next season, but if he hasn't shown a notable improvement on his accuracy through TC and preseason, then all bets are off.

Clipworthy
01-15-2012, 04:17 AM
MLB isn't a big need.... they have Irving waiting in the wings he's just young right now needs time to learn, good upside

SECONDARY

SECONDARY

SECONDARY

SEEECCCCOOOONNNDDDAAAAAARRRRRYYYYY

cmc0605
01-15-2012, 04:19 AM
Offensively, you have to keep in mind that elite offenses like the Patriots, the Manning-led Colts, Saints, etc have a lot of veterans that have chemistry with each other. The Broncos have been terrible at maintaining such chemistry across seasons. Our offensive line actually played really good this year, and they are also very very young (if I remember right, we're certainly in the top 5 youngest lines). I don't see the need to touch it, at least not significantly so. If there's an upgrade at guard or something that will come at a cheap cost, why not, but it's not a problem area.

A lot of your better, young QBs also have someone to grow with...Matthew Stafford has Calvin Johnson, Andy Dalton has A.J. Green, etc. Thomas has emerged as that man for Tebow, and I think he's pro bowl calibur. I think it would be great having another big play threat on the team, but it's tough to gauge just what sort of impact that would have in a Tebow-led offense (if we put a youthful Randy Moss on the field, how much would that actually change what Tebow does?). He needs to improve his reads, progressions, and knowledge of the game for a multi-threat receiving corps to really be relevant.

In general, I think the evolution of this offense must come through the scheme than the personnel. The style of offense we played for the better part of this year under Tebow was a failed experiment. For those that disagree, you can simply look at our stats in every major offensive category there is (and please don't cite the fact "we were winning"). It doesn't work against well-coached teams like the Pats, and especially in games where there will be a shootout. We lucked out being in a crappy division, and we lucked out squeezing by against a Pittsburgh team with half their starters banged up or out, when we almost blew a comfortable lead. The pre-season expectations of being in the Luck sweepstakes turned into false confidence when a number of "miracle wins" against mediocre teams occurred, but reality set in when we played the likes of Detroit, Green Bay, New England, etc.

But amongst the failed experiment, there was a scaffold for building around. If we're going to use Tebow, we need to mix in screens and HBs running into the flat. We need to boot leg. We need to work on some traditional routes. Also, Tebow needs to learn how to hit the safety valve receivers. Very often, teams wouldn't even cover our RB running out over the middle or the quick TE option because Tebow seems blind to what is right in front of him. I'm not so sure his arm motion will allow for well-executed quick slants, but there's a lot of "short" plays similar to what NE did today that can set you up with 2nd and 3, 2nd and 2 situations. Brady makes his living making throws anyone can make, just in a situation friendly to him. Tebow makes good highlights, but most of his plays involved holding onto the ball for an excess of 10 seconds, being a good scrambler (supplemented by good blocking), and bombing a ball down the field. Exciting when it works, but not sustainable as a consistent form of play.

The other problem with this team is there's a lot of very young players or very old players, with not much in between. I am excited to see the young players grow. That includes Tebow, Thomas, the o line, Von Miller, and several more. But we're also going to have to get used to life without Bailey, Dawkins, etc very soon, if not this year, then in 2-3 years. Secondary is a priority, so is D line.

cmc0605
01-15-2012, 04:27 AM
It would be nice going to FA for some quality guys in the secondary. Do we really want to wait 2-3 years for a good talent to "be ready" for NFL receivers? Even if we drafted Patrick Peterson, aside from some potentially better special teams play, not so sure we would have seen any good come out of the defensive side of things. The rookies we had like Carter, Moore, etc had no shot against Brady.

VonSackemMiller
01-15-2012, 05:31 AM
The Broncos sat nate irving this year to let his knee heal up, Nate Irving needed a year off football. I think you can lock him in at MLB next year, hes a instinctive and tackling machine. So unless we can land burtric or hightower then we need to go with irving.

We need to go and get us a pair of cornerbacks and a pair of DTs as far as im concerned with the defense.

Offense we need to get a RB,and a percy harvin type of WR. I think our young tightends were developing will be fine in the passing game next year (green and thomas) niether were expected to play much this year being that there not strong enough yet.

I truly dont think were that far away, Were a pass rushing DT away on the DL and a couple corners away from being able to man up across the board and not worry about getting toasted like goodmans been doing.

All in all im proud of the guys. Just take this real off season to get better because most of our talent is young so it can only go up. which i fully believe it will. This off season will be great seeing how we get better through the draft and free agency. Cant wait.

Lancane
01-15-2012, 07:25 AM
From top to bottom, I would say that the overall objectivity of a fan's priorities to that of the team is almost always skewed that's why three-quarters of the time we're disappointed with the moves the team makes.

With that said, in my honest opinion there are a few priorities that should be handled first and foremost. The first would be that this team needs to part ways with Mike McCoy and Adam Gase, neither of them is inherently bad...but they're both far from what this team needs. We need to get away from the Option Read Offense which is fairly apparent to most around the league, I would look to bring in someone like Randy Fichtner from Pittsburgh to be the offensive coordinator and Todd Downing from Detroit to be the quarterback coach.

Looking at free agency, Denver should target Vincent Jackson barring that then Robert Meachem and try and re-sign Eddie Royal, Meachem has the ability to be a solid starter whereas Jackson is a true number one, add in the Thomas and Decker, Denver's receiving corps. would be vastly better. Dan Connor from Carolina should also be on Denver's radar, he's an improvement over Joe Mays, which would allow Denver to move Irving outside to learn DJ Williams position where he may be a better fit. Those two additions allow Denver to focus more on the draft regarding others; Quarterback, Tailback, Offensive Line, Defensive Line and Cornerback, I would have said safety as well...but I see Rahim Moore getting another chance to prove himself.

HORSEPOWER 56
01-15-2012, 09:39 AM

Detroit- 45-10
Green Bay- 49-23
New England 41-23, and 45-10
Buffalo- 40-14

Yes, this is also a product of our defense giving up a lot of points. We can talk all day about the chicken and the egg theory with this, but when the defense was kept off of the field for a decent amount of time they came through. Denver is the most one dimensional team in the NFL. That's both the product of an irratic passing QB, and an offensive line that can't block effectively.

I couldn't agree more. I don't think we need a "complete" overhaul inside (I thought Beadles made leaps and bounds improvement this year over last year - maybe he could move to Center?), but I do think we may want to look for a new Center and we really should move Franklin inside to Guard and find a good RT who can at least win some of the time vs pass rushers.

2. Replace Joe Mays- He's the worst starting MLB in the NFL, and shouldn't be on the field outside of special teams. He missed 7 tackles in the Pittsburgh game alone, and that's not counting the plays he took himself out of by shooting the wrong gap. Denver spent too much of this season playing a 10 man defense with 11 men on the field.

Yep. I was kinda hoping we'd see more of Irving once we saw Mays wasn't getting it done, but we didn't. If neither is "the guy" we should draft one. The MLB is the heart of the 4-3 defense and we don't have one.

3. Re-sign Bunkley- He was a pleasant surprise this season, and a big reason for the improvement on defense. He held the POA consistently, and needs to be a part of the defensive core group moving forward.

Bunkley has been a force vs the run this year and re-signing him should be our top priority as far as our potential FAs. Getting him help inside and getting a guy who can provide inside pressure is a must. Out outside pass rush is pretty well set, we just need a guy to pressure up the middle to prevent the QB step up.

See above

Absolutely. I really think we need to do what it takes to draft LaMichael James. Speed, Speed, Speed. Power backs are a dime a dozen, a guy with game-breaking speed would be incredible in this offense. A guy that all he needs is a crease and it's off to the races gives our offense even more legitimacy. Could you imagine if McGahee or Ball had 4.3-4.4 speed and a little wiggle? Our guys already get to the second level routinely. If they could juke a Safety and turn on the jets, watch out. Our running game would be even more effective.

6. Improve the safety play- Moore was a huge disappointment. I actually like Quinton Carter going forward. Dawk may or may not be back. I'd like to see an intimidator brought in at SS, with Carter playing the FS spot. Guys like Gronkowski and Hernandez may have caught some balls over the middle against Dennis Smith and Steve Atwater, but they would have either slowed down over the course of the game or left on a stretcher. Make em pay!

I like Carter. Moore has been a disappointment but I'm not ready to give up on him yet. They are rookies and had no offseason. At this point, I almost think it would be better to draft a CB, bring in a good FA CB and move Champ to FS. Carter can (and is probably better at) SS right now. If we drafted a 1st round CB and moved Harris out to Goodman's spot I think Champ move might be in order. Sure, we'd lose the ability to have him play man coverage without help on one side, but we'd gain a crafty vet who could man-up on all those playmaking TEs and has really good read-and-react skills when the ball is in the air. He would be a great guy back there to patrol the center of the field and support young CBs.

See above

Our WRs are plenty fast. Willis, DT, and Royal all have deep speed. I think we'd be better off trying to find a TE that is a mismatch and can catch. Fells is a good blocker and he's okay as a receiver, but he doesn't draw coverage away from the WRs and he's not a legit threat in the RZ. He's a poor man's Daniel Graham. Maybe Julius Thomas can be that guy, but if he's not, we need to find one.

Great post Zig. I replied in orange above.

MOtorboat
01-15-2012, 09:42 AM
Team has a lot of holes. It just needs more talent. BPA in the draft. I wouldn't expect huge FA signings, that doesn't seem how they want to build this team. But a few solid ones, like McGahee could help.

BigDaddyBronco
01-15-2012, 09:53 AM
Agreed, lots of holes to fix. I don't think a QB in the first 3 rounds is going to help much. Let Tebow have another year and if he doesn't get better than the record should show it next year and we could get a better pick to get a QB.

I would like the OLine and DLine to get bigger and better, but I don't know if the best answer is time and continuity, depth, or starting to replace certain players. A good MLB would solidify our LBers, our CB's need some more talented youth and our safties suck. Need another RB to play with Willis, need another WR or two, need a TE or one of our young guys to step up.

Lots of holes, a couple of solid drafts should get us to a point where we are back to competing for the playoffs on a regular basis. Competing for a SB will take a little longer.

tomjonesrocks
01-15-2012, 09:56 AM
The thing is, this team has been remarkably cheap in recent years.

This idea Denver is going to pay in free agency for veteran help in the secondary or any other area seems very far fetched.

As a result it's hard to see how this team will ever be able to compete with the elite unless they are just brilliant in coming drafts. Which isn't easy. At least if the team reversed that policy players might actually want to be here now.

My wish list includes a stud TE, stud RB, a new center, stud DT, help at S and corner, etc. etc. Too much to ask?

sunbeam
01-15-2012, 09:58 AM
In general, I think the evolution of this offense must come through the scheme than the personnel. The style of offense we played for the better part of this year under Tebow was a failed experiment. For those that disagree, you can simply look at our stats in every major offensive category there is (and please don't cite the fact "we were winning"). It doesn't work against well-coached teams like the Pats, and especially in games where there will be a shootout. We lucked out being in a crappy division, and we lucked out squeezing by against a Pittsburgh team with half their starters banged up or out, when we almost blew a comfortable lead. The pre-season expectations of being in the Luck sweepstakes turned into false confidence when a number of "miracle wins" against mediocre teams occurred, but reality set in when we played the likes of Detroit, Green Bay, New England, etc.

But amongst the failed experiment, there was a scaffold for building around. If we're going to use Tebow, we need to mix in screens and HBs running into the flat. We need to boot leg. We need to work on some traditional routes. Also, Tebow needs to learn how to hit the safety valve receivers. Very often, teams wouldn't even cover our RB running out over the middle or the quick TE option because Tebow seems blind to what is right in front of him. I'm not so sure his arm motion will allow for well-executed quick slants, but there's a lot of "short" plays similar to what NE did today that can set you up with 2nd and 3, 2nd and 2 situations. Brady makes his living making throws anyone can make, just in a situation friendly to him. Tebow makes good highlights, but most of his plays involved holding onto the ball for an excess of 10 seconds, being a good scrambler (supplemented by good blocking), and bombing a ball down the field. Exciting when it works, but not sustainable as a consistent form of play.

I think you have missed the whole point. What kind of running game did Denver have when Kyle Orton was the quarterback? What kind of numbers did McGahee have? What kind of numbers in the past years?

This "failed experiment" is pretty much the only reason Denver was in the position they were.

I've seen plenty of football games. I've seen plenty of conventional offenses lay out a stinker in these games. Yet somehow it is all due to a "failed experiment."

The whole thing doesn't wash.

It'll be interesting in the offseason. I have a hunch you are going to see elements of what Denver was doing this season adopted by other teams.

BigDaddyBronco
01-15-2012, 10:05 AM
The thing is, this team has been remarkably cheap in recent years.

This idea Denver is going to pay in free agency for veteran help in the secondary or any other area seems very far fetched.

As a result it's hard to see how this team will ever be able to compete with the elite unless they are just brilliant in coming drafts. Which isn't easy. At least if the team reversed that policy players might actually want to be here now.

My wish list includes a stud TE, stud RB, a new center, stud DT, help at S and corner, etc. etc. Too much to ask?

Not only that, but why would any of the top FA's want to come to Denver vs. teams that are closer to making the SB? Maybe guys who have a history with the coaching staff or RB's or OLine guys who can make money with better stats.

broken12
01-15-2012, 10:09 AM
we need to get better up the middle! mlb defensive tackle, which we had a bunch of injuries at and safety! maybe these two rooks will pan out with a real offseason! we also need a cb and running back for sure~

Ziggy
01-15-2012, 10:36 AM
Not only that, but why would any of the top FA's want to come to Denver vs. teams that are closer to making the SB? Maybe guys who have a history with the coaching staff or RB's or OLine guys who can make money with better stats.

1. NFL players will go wherever the money is.
2. Denver's offense is a dream scheme for running backs and offensive lineman.
3. Defensive players love to play in an aggressive scheme that has established pass rushers.

Denver may have a hard time drawing receiving tight ends and WR's, but I don't see them having a problem drawing any other positions. As for spending big money to get them here, how did paying DeAngelo Williams the big bucks work out for Carolina? Willis McGahee was more productive for 1/4 of the price. I have no problem with the front office handing out major contracts to street free agents until this team is closer to competing for a championship. Guys like McGahee and Bunkley are perfect examples of why you need to bring in smart talented veterans on sensible contracts. I like the moves that the FO made this offseason. They need to keep moving in the same direction in years to come.

chazoe60
01-15-2012, 10:37 AM
That was the worst game our OL played all season. That game reminded me of the preseason when our OL couldn't block a HS team. The only Play that seemed to work at all was running up the middle occasionally, but the pass blocking was horrendous.

We also never touched Brady. Hopefully our pass rush will be better when Von doesn't have the cast. That thumb injury completely stifled Von's amazing season.

There doesn't seem to be one single player on our defense that can cover a TE. We need a stud safety who is closer to twenty than fourty.

chazoe60
01-15-2012, 10:39 AM
We also need a MLB who will take the leadership role on defense for this team. A guy like Al Wilson who will hold the other guys accountable and be the unquestioned leader of the defense.

MOtorboat
01-15-2012, 10:43 AM
If I were to list priorities...

1. OG
2. MLB
3. RT (I think both priority one and two could be fixed by finding a solid RT and shifting Franklin to LG, assuming Kuper can come back.)
4. DT
5. No. 3 or No. 4 WR.

BroncoJoe
01-15-2012, 10:48 AM
Like the list MO, but in a pass happy league, I'm curious why you left our DB's. We really need help in the backfield.

missingnumber7
01-15-2012, 10:51 AM
I love how Mays is called out by name but not one mention of Goodman who proved all season long he was the worst corner in the NFL. Joe may not be starter quality but show me 1 game other than the Steelers game where he was missing tackles. I saw Tebow miss wide open receivers every game he played. Just saying. Flame away!

MOtorboat
01-15-2012, 10:54 AM
Like the list MO, but in a pass happy league, I'm curious why you left our DB's. We really need help in the backfield.

Because Bailey, Harris and Goodman are just fine at corner (he's not anywhere near the worst corner in the league, he won two freaking games by himself). All corners get burnt at some point in every single game. And I'd still like to see if the young safeties can develop. This team has used way too man early draft picks and free agent signings on safety the last three years. So, to me, adding more cornerbacks and safeties just doesn't do this team much good, when there are glaring holes at those other five positions I've mentioned.

Skinny
01-15-2012, 10:59 AM
DT, CB, OG and a well rounded upgrade at MLB (hope for Irving) is my wishlist for FA and the Draft.

igoe4broncos
01-15-2012, 11:36 AM
Denver really needs another legit pass-catching threat. Sign a decent WR like Meachum and draft a big-time TE.

spikerman
01-15-2012, 11:38 AM
I would have to say -

1. DT - Need a DT who can push the pocket and get pressure in the QB's face. I'm not hopeful though. This team never seems to place a lot of importance here.
2. MLB - I like Mays, but I think he's more suited to be a special teamer/backup
3. S - Maybe Moore can develop, but so far he looks like a swing and a miss.
4. WR - Besides DT these receivers don't scare anybody
5. RB - McGahee is going to need to start taking snaps off in the very near future.

6- Offensive line and TE need to be addressed at some point too, but they just weren't quite in my top 5.

Elevation inc
01-15-2012, 11:38 AM
good list.....

I see 5 top priorities that are crucial to continued improvement of this team

CB- We have Champ and Harris thats it, we need to spend our first pick in the draft on a CB.

RB- Mcgahee/Moreno/Jeremiah Johnson and a guy like Doug Martin/David Harris Or chris Polk makes us very tough at RB and will make our run game continue when mcgahee goes to the sideline

G- Beadles is way to inconsistent to keep his job after 34 games, we need a power guard, who actually can man up and block 1 on 1 without having to always pull to make a play. Not to mention Hochstein was Outclassed. Also Kuper wont be ready till probally end of pre-season so we need insurance at Guard in a big way

LB- Mays trys to be to kamikaze for my taste, woodyard has regressed badly. We need a Legit FA mike here like Stephen Tulloch/Dqwell Jackson/Curtis lofton/Dan connor, and we need some legit LB depth for our nickle look a speed backer that can cover.

WR- We have a legit threat in DT if he stays healthy and Decker could be a viable #2(but its debatable at this point), Outside of that our Wr's need upgraded

then I would add DB depth or vet FA at safety, Center competition, DT competition(a proven FA UT maybe and a depth guy in the draft), and tell Tebow, his WR's and Elway to get to work next week.....lol

spikerman
01-15-2012, 11:41 AM
One guy I hope can see a little more of the field next year is Mike Mohamed. I know it was only preseason, but that guy impressed me. He hustled and seemed like a solid tackler. Hopefully he can improve on whatever the coaches were looking for during the offseason and get out there.

Elevation inc
01-15-2012, 11:45 AM
One guy I hope can see a little more of the field next year is Mike Mohamed. I know it was only preseason, but that guy impressed me. He hustled and seemed like a solid tackler. Hopefully he can improve on whatever the coaches were looking for during the offseason and get out there.

yeah his only problem is his best fit is SLB which both von and haggan are ahead of him......I dont think he can play WLB or MIKE.....

spikerman
01-15-2012, 11:46 AM
tell Tebow, his WR's and Elway to get to work next week.....lol

This.

spikerman
01-15-2012, 11:47 AM
yeah his only problem is his best fit is SLB which both von and haggan are ahead of him......I dont think he can play WLB or MIKE.....

He's listed as a Mike on the roster, but I'm all for putting aggressive guys on the field even if it causes the lineup to be juggled a little.

BORDERLINE
01-15-2012, 12:02 PM
You can make all the moves in the planet but unless Tebow learns to throw from the pocket the whole game we will have to build around his strengths. Which I am in favor of but I do not believe EFX will go that route.

Personally I want a rb/wr with home run speed. I'm talking about that 0-60 in a blink of an eye speed. The defense will have to choose to either contain Tebow or cover this speed demon. Kind of like N.O uses Sproles.

Next would be in the secondary. Safety is a big concern for me. Moore does not appear to have IT and Carter is a big mofo but lacks the hard hits necessary to make a WR/TE fear his presence. And bring in a serviceable CB to compete with Goodman.

WE NEED A TE. Badly!!!!!!....J.Thomas spends his days tweeting instead of actually playing ball. Bring in a big body who can catch and insert him into the offense. A guy that will muscle out a defender. I'm not even asking for something fancy like Gronk/Graham just a big dude that can catch.

the rest of the positions look OK to me. The o-line can use some depth but they had really good games and really bad ones. The good thing was that they got a whole year to be together and it will make them better in the years to come.

tomjonesrocks
01-15-2012, 12:30 PM
If I were to list priorities...

1. OG
2. MLB
3. RT (I think both priority one and two could be fixed by finding a solid RT and shifting Franklin to LG, assuming Kuper can come back.)
4. DT
5. No. 3 or No. 4 WR.

I could go with this but I don't know who could have seen Graham or Gronkowski this year and not wish we had a TE like that for Tebow.

A RB is a must also. Moreno flat out sucks.

MOtorboat
01-15-2012, 12:42 PM
I could go with this but I don't know who could have seen Graham or Gronkowski this year and not wish we had a TE like that for Tebow.

There are 31 teams that want tight ends like that. There are 26 or 27 teams that want a quarterback like that.

That doesn't mean you start reaching for tight ends. That would be very unwise.

Northman
01-15-2012, 12:43 PM

But isnt that why Thomas was drafted?

HammeredOut
01-15-2012, 01:05 PM
The Broncos need pass rush from the interior.

1st- HB
2nd- Safety
3rd - DT
4th - MLB
5th - OG
6th - QB
7th - A good water boy

swaiy
01-15-2012, 02:50 PM
The Broncos need pass rush from the interior.

1st- HB
2nd- Safety
3rd - DT
4th - MLB
5th - OG
6th - QB
7th - A good water boy

You'd advocate spending a 2nd on another safety? I know Rahim Moore was horrible but I think it would be wise to give the guys a chance to develop rather than waste another pick on that position. I'm not sure what's out there in Free Agency but that would probably be wiser than spending another pick. That's just my opinion of course...

bcbronc
01-15-2012, 02:52 PM
MLB isn't a big need.... they have Irving waiting in the wings he's just young right now needs time to learn, good upside

The Broncos sat nate irving this year to let his knee heal up, Nate Irving needed a year off football. I think you can lock him in at MLB next year, hes a instinctive and tackling machine. So unless we can land burtric or hightower then we need to go with irving.

I don't know what to think on Irving. With this being year 1 of the EFX era, it's too early to tell if the young guys weren't getting on the field because they were young, or because they weren't good enough. Shanny almost never played rookie OL, and word on the street is that Fox prefers vets to rooks, so it could be a matter of that.

As for being injured, if that's the case with Irving then shouldn't he have been IR'd? He saw some time on STs, so not sure how valid that claim is Sackem.

If that's not the case, then I'm a bit concerned about Irving (unless this regime just wanted to limit how many rookies saw the field). MLB is one of the most instinctual positions in football. MLB and RB are the two most plug and play positions in the game, and when you factor in pass protection MLB is probably #1. For that reason, I'm concerned Irving wasn't able to get playing time over an ineffective Joe Mays.

And hell yeah to LaMichael James.

Vincent Jackson seems to come up a lot as an option, but I'd avoid him like the plague. Ton of talent obviously, but he's going to be a big ticket item. This season he had too many plays where he just quit...I mean lost the ball in the lights...for me to want to get in a bidding war. He can be dominant when he wants to, but he doesn't seem to always want to. Considering we'll likely have a limited budget, I'd rather add 2 or 3 solid FAs than blow our wad on VJack.

Ziggy
01-15-2012, 02:52 PM
I love how Mays is called out by name but not one mention of Goodman who proved all season long he was the worst corner in the NFL. Joe may not be starter quality but show me 1 game other than the Steelers game where he was missing tackles. I saw Tebow miss wide open receivers every game he played. Just saying. Flame away!

He missed tackles all season long and that wasn't even his main problem. Joe Mays took himself out of plays on a consistent basis by shooting the wrong gap and running into blockers rather than running to the ball. His instincts are nearly non existant.

jhildebrand
01-15-2012, 03:14 PM
MLB-a definite need. Not sure on Irving. The team had some rumblings that he wasn't becoming the player they though he could be. Let's give him the off season. Even then this team still needs a REAL MLB.

CB-Goodman has got to go! Champ is getting long in the tooth.

DT-D line players take a good 2-3 seasons to develop in this league. This team needs to address this position sooner than later for that reason. They have to be drafted because all teams grow their own DL and they rarely let them walk.

OG and C-Walton and Beadles grew and improved. Just not enough. They will be quality depth/back ups going forward.

#1 WR-This team needs a bona fide, tried and true #1 a la Marshall. A Justin Blackmon. Someone. DT may be that guy but we still need another legit WR. Decker isn't it. Royal is probably gone.

I would go with BPA at any of those positions at this point.

I know we overachieved this year. I think next year could prove to be very difficult and may be a step back. We just need EFX to continue to hit on the high picks like they did Franklin and Miller.

Ziggy
01-15-2012, 03:16 PM
You'd advocate spending a 2nd on another safety? I know Rahim Moore was horrible but I think it would be wise to give the guys a chance to develop rather than waste another pick on that position. I'm not sure what's out there in Free Agency but that would probably be wiser than spending another pick. That's just my opinion of course...

I'm pretty sure he was listing priorities, not draft picks. At least I'm guessing so, since we don't have a 6th rounder.

swaiy
01-15-2012, 04:18 PM
I'm pretty sure he was listing priorities, not draft picks. At least I'm guessing so, since we don't have a 6th rounder.

Ah, I see. Still, is safety truly a priority?

MOtorboat
01-15-2012, 05:00 PM
Ah, I see. Still, is safety truly a priority?

The play at safety has to get better. The question the Broncos front office will have to answer (ironically its the same at the most key position on the field, as well) is whether that player is on the team, whether the players on the team can become what they need to be, is it worth it in this offseason to address the position and is it worth it to address the position based on past investments.

As for both positions I've referenced thus far, I'd say no, other positions need to be addressed. That, however, doesn't make play at said positions adequate.

NightTerror218
01-15-2012, 06:10 PM
Ziggy I agree with you. But I also see a TE/WR needed. Too many drops and our TE are always blocking. I know Fells had some good catches but only a handful.

Dzone
01-15-2012, 06:17 PM
So Nate Irving went into the game last night. How was his performance?

dogfish
01-15-2012, 08:37 PM
1. Re-sign Broderick Bunkley.

2. We need at least one more veteran safety that can hold things together on the back end if called upon. Two if Dawk's done.

3. Draft a running back with some speed.

4. I don't care if it's Irving, a free agent or another draft pick, but a rangier, more instinctive starting MIKE would help a ton.

5. We need one more starter-capable O-lineman in the mix. Ideally a right tackle with better feet who can kick Franklin inside, but we'll take what we can get.

6. Find a more reliable fullback than Spencer Larsen's gimp ass.

7. Add a decent veteran backup QB, and draft a developmental QB in the mid-to-later rounds.

if we can get all that accomplished, i'm thrilled. . . we could really use another talented young corner also, although we can probably get by another year with the current group. . . a nasty interior pass rusher would be a huge asset-- so would better backup D-ends, or a young developmental nosetackle. . . for that matter, we could really use a blue chip tight end and a reliable veteran slot receiver also. . . you can only get so much done in one off-season, though-- especially if bowlen and ellis keep their purse strings clenched shut again this year. . .

dogfish
01-15-2012, 08:41 PM
The play at safety has to get better. The question the Broncos front office will have to answer (ironically its the same at the most key position on the field, as well) is whether that player is on the team, whether the players on the team can become what they need to be, is it worth it in this offseason to address the position and is it worth it to address the position based on past investments.

As for both positions I've referenced thus far, I'd say no, other positions need to be addressed. That, however, doesn't make play at said positions adequate.

i like quinton carter, and think he has a decent chance to develop into a quality starter with a couple seasons of mental reps. . . not a fan of rahim moore, but he does have some ability, and we've already spent the pick. . . but even if you think both of them will develop, we need better depth there. . . particularly if dawk retires. . .

i hate the idea of burning yet another pick there, though. . . they need to address it in FA as far as i'm concerned. . . we don't need a star-- we just need a reliable veteran presence. . .

cmc0605
01-15-2012, 09:07 PM
-- Go into free agency for a safety and corner, particularly ones that could tackle. You usually need to sacrifice ball hawks for tacklers, but this team can't tackle. If there are good players here, I'd prefer that over the draft since guys in the secondary take a couple years to really develop into reliable players against NFL quality receivers and the higher-end TEs.

-- I'd prefer to go defense in this draft in the first round, preferably best player available on defensive line or MLB. The consensus here seems to be that DT is higher priority than DE, but if there is a really good DE on the board, I wouldn't be disappointed in the pick. Our 4-man pass rush is non-existent, and when Miller can't pass rush, we don't get much pressure. I have a suspicion Dumervil's best days are behind him; I hope not, but he has been injured or inconsistent this season, and he didn't show up in the big games toward the end of the season. He still has some good years left, but having something near the level of the Giants DE core would help tremendously, especially when we play high-octane offenses. But we do need to get good in the interior, we are very bad against the run. Bunkley should be re-signed.

-- Another WR who can play in the slot or be reliable as a #2. I still have confidence that Decker can be that guy, but there's very little depth there.

-- RB

G_Money
01-15-2012, 09:10 PM
Good post, Ziggy. :salute: To reply to your excellent list:

1. Re-build the interior offensive line. My first step in that is moving Franklin inside. He can crush people in the run game but he's woefully slow in pass protection. The Pats took advantage of it by rushing 50 around him all game, and when he showed he needed help and the guard cheated his attention out so that Franklin could take the wide angle only, the Pats blew us up inside. It was ugly. :tsk:

And Beadles is overmatched. He's a good pulling guard but straight-up blocking is not his forte. He can't move a pile OR pass-protect from inside consistently IMO, so he can bet our best backup instead of our worst starter.

I'd add someone like Kareem McKenzie to watch Tebow's blind side. He's used to 3-4 Ds and a QB who can hold the ball a while. And he's got several good years left, IMO. That solves two problems with one addition. I still think we're gonna need Walton to be replaced, but one thing at a time. Walton may be fine if he and Beadles aren't next to each other.

2. Replace Joe Mays- I really want EJ Henderson to get let go by Minny. He's slowed down and isn't fast enough to play a Tampa 2 MLB, but that's not exactly what we run here. He's still plenty fast for us and makes great plays in the run game while not being over-exposed by covering a RB like Mays is.

3. Re-sign Bunkley- Agreed. He's a keeper. He's bad at pass-rushing or collapsing the pocket, but he's our best run-stuffer and as long as he doesn't ask for the moon, he should be a Bronco for the next few years.

4. Sign or draft an impact UT- Agreed...but we know the Broncos don't pay for these sorts of players.
Right now I have us adding Aubrayo Franklin or the like. Regardless, Bunkley by himself is not enough. Thomas can be a backup rotational guy and do wel at that.

5. Sign or draft a RB- Agreed. I'd like Doug Martin in the 3rd or so in the draft, but whomever we add needs to be a capable starter and not just an emergency back.

6. Improve the safety play- That'd be nice. :tsk: QC can stay - I like him. Moore...Moore is about to be cut. HUGE disappointment and exactly what I was afraid of when we drafted him. No bueno. I was hoping to get one more year out of Dawkins, but IMO he should retire. But I don't know that we'll be able or willing to fix the S issues at this point. We've drafted McBath, Bruton, QC and Moore in the last 3 years to fix it. I'd be interested to add Griffin in FA but we'd have to pay - I dunno if the Broncos are still willing to pay. For more, see below...

7. Improve the depth at CB- See, if Champ is gonna take a Rod Woodson then we need more than depth at CB. I like Harris at the nickel, and Cassius and Squid can fight it out as depth, but if Champ is moving over in a year or two then we need a top CB added in the draft or FA now to make that possible. Since that also solves our S problem, I happen to like that solution. Bring Dawkins back for his final season and hope he and QC can hold it down at S until Champ moves over. So for me this is a much higher priority, as you say.

8. Add speed to the offense. Can I reword this to say, "We need guys who are mismatches?" I would still be willing to move DT to tight end just to get him better mismatches. He's a big strong dude who can run with CBs and so can make a LB's life miserable.

DT could add up to a Vernon Davis-type of mismatch. If we don't do that, then I'd like to add a player like Aaron Hernandez (who played with Tim at Florida) who can play H-Back, TE, whatever. There's a guy like that in the draft who is also a good blocker as a 250 pound FB/TE type: Temple's Evan Rodriguez. He's on my list, as I don't think we'll be able to draft a WR high. I'd try to add some speed later but I wouldn't count on it being useful in year one.

We need to get our talent on the field into position to make a difference as we add more speed at skill positions.

Here's hoping we can do most of your list, Ziggy. Lord knows we need it. :cool:

~G

jhildebrand
01-15-2012, 10:21 PM
The Giants going DL for years in a row in the draft has paid off long term. That is probably the model this team should follow given Fox's defensive penchant and background.

Dreadnought
01-15-2012, 10:37 PM
Ziggy I agree with you. But I also see a TE/WR needed. Too many drops and our TE are always blocking. I know Fells had some good catches but only a handful.

Agreed - I would actually go for a fast pass catching mismatch creating TE before I went for a WR. DT and ED need to get another year of seasoning to determine what we have in those two guys before we go spending more draft picks on them. Sometimes they looked solid++, others, pretty poor.

MOtorboat
01-15-2012, 10:40 PM
The last time Denver reached for a tight end, the fanbase blew a gasket. Remember that.

BanquetBeer
01-15-2012, 10:52 PM
why not try and grab matt flynn and give him a shot to compete for the job. i like tebow, but i just don't think this style of offense is sustainable.

Ziggy
01-15-2012, 10:58 PM
why not try and grab matt flynn and give him a shot to compete for the job. i like tebow, but i just don't think this style of offense is sustainable.

Flynn has played exactly 1 1/2 good games in the NFL. He's a watered down version of Kevin Kolb, and someone is going to pay the guy about 10 million a year. I hope it's not us.

dogfish
01-15-2012, 11:01 PM
The last time Denver reached for a tight end, the fanbase blew a gasket. Remember that.

and we were right. . .

fuggin' awful pick. . .

Ziggy
01-15-2012, 11:02 PM
Agreed - I would actually go for a fast pass catching mismatch creating TE before I went for a WR. DT and ED need to get another year of seasoning to determine what we have in those two guys before we go spending more draft picks on them. Sometimes they looked solid++, others, pretty poor.

We have one Dread. Julius Thomas is that guy, but he can't block to save his life. If he can come to camp and prove that he's improved as a blocker, I'd bet on him being a starter next season.

Dreadnought
01-16-2012, 09:01 AM
and we were right. . .

fuggin' awful pick. . .

In large part because we had the nearly ideal fast pass catching mismatch creating TE already on the roster when we drafted Richard Quinn. At that time it should have been near the bottom of our shopping list. Now? We are in awful shape

BroncoJoe
01-16-2012, 09:42 AM
Here is our current depth chart.
Offense:

WR Eric Decker Demaryius Thomas D'Andre Goodwin
LT Ryan Clady Chris Clark
LG Zane Beadles Manny Ramirez
C J.D. Walton Manny Ramirez
RG Russ Hochstein Manny Ramirez
RT Orlando Franklin Tony Hills Ryan Harris
TE Daniel Fells Virgil Green Dante Rosario Julius Thomas
WR Eddie Royal Matthew Willis
QB Tim Tebow Brady Quinn
FB Austin Sylvester
RB Willis McGahee Lance Ball Jeremiah Johnson

Defense:

LDE Robert Ayers Derrick Harvey
NT Brodrick Bunkley Ryan McBean
DT Marcus Thomas Mitch Unrein
RDE Elvis Dumervil Jason Hunter
SLB Von Miller Mario Haggan Mike Mohamed
MLB Joe Mays Mario Haggan Nate Irving
WLB D.J. Williams Wesley Woodyard
LCB Champ Bailey Chris Harris Tony Carter
RCB Andre Goodman Jonathan Wilhite Tony Carter
SS Brian Dawkins David Bruton Rafael Bush
FS Quinton Carter Rahim Moore

Good gosh there's A LOT of room for improvement.

red98
01-16-2012, 10:17 AM
--
-- I'd prefer to go defense in this draft in the first round, preferably best player available on defensive line or MLB. The consensus here seems to be that DT is higher priority than DE, but if there is a really good DE on the board, I wouldn't be disappointed in the pick. Our 4-man pass rush is non-existent, and when Miller can't pass rush, we don't get much pressure. I have a suspicion Dumervil's best days are behind him; I hope not, but he has been injured or inconsistent this season, and he didn't show up in the big games toward the end of the season. He still has some good years left, but having something near the level of the Giants DE core would help tremendously, especially when we play high-octane offenses. But we do need to get good in the interior, we are very bad against the run. Bunkley should be re-signed.

-- RB

I agree, can't have too many pass rushers.

spikerman
01-16-2012, 10:26 AM
In large part because we had the nearly ideal fast pass catching mismatch creating TE already on the roster when we drafted Richard Quinn. At that time it should have been near the bottom of our shopping list. Now? We are in awful shape

Not to mention trading two picks to move up to draft Quinn (who caught all of 12 passes in college). I think of all the wasted and/or traded picks of the last two years and just :tsk:

Of all of McDaniels' boneheaded moves, this one bothers me the most.

This team should be talent rich instead of talent deprived.

SOCALORADO.
01-16-2012, 11:55 AM
Heres what i think DEN should do.
1st FA's go where the money is, and Bowlen didnt really spend much last year. So he should be more open to spending some $$$$ this year.
Also, i think folks are exagerating that FA's wouldnt want to come to DEN anyways.
DEN just won a playoff game, and went to the divisional round. Also, John Fox is well known as a players coach, and its no suprise that this teams players responded to him, and played so well. FA's like that, and Fox is a HC that players want to come and play for.
1st get the o-line fixed. And heres how.
FA OG Carl Nicks.
2nd, get TT a true deep threat to open up the field, and keep opposing defenses honest.
FA WR Marques Colston or Vincent Jackson.
Just pay them. They will cost alot, but they are well worth it.
Didnt Jackson go to Northern Colorado?
And sign FA MLB Dan Connor. CAR has 5 elite LBs and they wont be able to keep em all, so get Connor. Hes played for Fox, and can be the "QB" for his defense.
3rd
Then draft a damn RB with some mother****in skill and speed!
This guy is a poor-mans Marshall Faulk. Draft him in the 3rd.
Isaiah Pead
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrzIRGwiA2Q

Draft a CB, a UT/DT and another RB in the draft.

BroncoNut
01-16-2012, 12:12 PM
Team has a lot of holes. It just needs more talent. BPA in the draft. I wouldn't expect huge FA signings, that doesn't seem how they want to build this team. But a few solid ones, like McGahee could help.

we ciould use a nasty ass safety. Hopefully that is a bpa

Chef Zambini
01-16-2012, 12:26 PM
I think you have missed the whole point. What kind of running game did Denver have when Kyle Orton was the quarterback? What kind of numbers did McGahee have? What kind of numbers in the past years?

This "failed experiment" is pretty much the only reason Denver was in the position they were.

I've seen plenty of football games. I've seen plenty of conventional offenses lay out a stinker in these games. Yet somehow it is all due to a "failed experiment."

The whole thing doesn't wash.

It'll be interesting in the offseason. I have a hunch you are going to see elements of what Denver was doing this season adopted by other teams.wrong.
people will look more to emmulate the pats TE featured O than our college O !
BB is always ahead of the curve.
TE present match-up problems for the current NFL defenses.
NOBODY is going to look at our TEBOW offense and say, "we want to be more like the broncos"
get real !

HammeredOut
01-16-2012, 12:30 PM
Well, if Gronkowski, and Hernandez are the next big time threat for the next half decade. We need big time Safeties to defend. Adrian Wilson esque'. If the Broncos are going to be next level in the playoffs, they need to start drafting to defend against those types of teams.

Chef Zambini
01-16-2012, 12:33 PM
priority #1
Decide if tebow is going to be the guy, if so, you have to re-vamp the ENTIRE offensive schem and start by hiring an OC that can orchestrate that, because mccoy lacks the creativity to make that happen.
priority #2
get rid of goodman, he is the weakest link of our starting defense! HUGE target on that guys forehead, an easy completion for any opponent.
priority #2b
get a new DC. the gameplan against the pats sealed the deal for me, pathetic!
priority #3
draft kellen moore, he can be a fallback guy, a new generation of KUBIAK, he can help tebow and run ANY offense when we figure out that tebow is a failed experiment at QB.
and we can get him cheap !

Chef Zambini
01-16-2012, 12:37 PM
moreno, dump him
royal, let him go
dawkins needs to retire.
quinn, if he cant push tebow out of the starting position he must be worthless
we need legitimate PASS catching TEs
we need to invest in another RB, mcgehee needs help.

Chef Zambini
01-16-2012, 12:41 PM
Well, if Gronkowski, and Hernandez are the next big time threat for the next half decade. We need big time Safeties to defend. Adrian Wilson esque'. If the Broncos are going to be next level in the playoffs, they need to start drafting to defend against those types of teams.we should have played DJ on the gronk!

BroncoNut
01-16-2012, 01:31 PM
moreno, dump him
royal, let him go
dawkins needs to retire.
quinn, if he cant push tebow out of the starting position he must be worthless
we need legitimate PASS catching TEs
we need to invest in another RB, mcgehee needs help.

I agree with all of this except the last. Lance Ball has demonstrated time and time again that he is a great complement to Willis McGehee in our running attack

NightTerror218
01-16-2012, 01:58 PM
Heres what i think DEN should do.
1st FA's go where the money is, and Bowlen didnt really spend much last year. So he should be more open to spending some $$$$ this year.
Also, i think folks are exagerating that FA's wouldnt want to come to DEN anyways.
DEN just won a playoff game, and went to the divisional round. Also, John Fox is well known as a players coach, and its no suprise that this teams players responded to him, and played so well. FA's like that, and Fox is a HC that players want to come and play for.
1st get the o-line fixed. And heres how.
FA OG Carl Nicks.
2nd, get TT a true deep threat to open up the field, and keep opposing defenses honest.
FA WR Marques Colston or Vincent Jackson.
Just pay them. They will cost alot, but they are well worth it.
Didnt Jackson go to Northern Colorado?
And sign FA MLB Dan Connor. CAR has 5 elite LBs and they wont be able to keep em all, so get Connor. Hes played for Fox, and can be the "QB" for his defense.
3rd
Then draft a damn RB with some mother****in skill and speed!
This guy is a poor-mans Marshall Faulk. Draft him in the 3rd.
Isaiah Pead
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrzIRGwiA2Q

Draft a CB, a UT/DT and another RB in the draft.

I do like who you have, I would also like to see Rosario replaced. If Green and Thomas are not coming around drop one of them and pick up a true catching TE that is a big mismatch. I would love to see a version of Gronkowski in the middle. Also as for RB, LaMichael James and we also have that other undrafted rookie who is on IR.

SOCALORADO.
01-16-2012, 02:10 PM
I do like who you have, I would also like to see Rosario replaced. If Green and Thomas are not coming around drop one of them and pick up a true catching TE that is a big mismatch. I would love to see a version of Gronkowski in the middle. Also as for RB, LaMichael James and we also have that other undrafted rookie who is on IR.

I dont want to depend on IR rookie RBs no matter how good he eventually looks. The run game needs a shot of adrenaline. For some reason i see James as a Moreno clone. I gotta go back and look at tape of him.
the only TE i see DEN getting possibly is John Carlson and hes coming off a torn labrum. Finley will be franchised by GB, so thats out.
So Dwayne Allen or Colby Fleener in the draft, and Allen will be gone mid 2nd round, and Fleener wont last much longer.
I could see the NYG taking Allen in the 1st!
I say get Pead in the 3rd, and grab Allen Bradford in the 5th.
Ive also seen alot of rumors running around CAR boards that theres just no way CAR wil continue to keep 2 RBs that are costing them so much on the books. They just paid DWill huge money to stay, so i wouldnt put it past CAR to look to trade JStewart for a 2nd. They need high round picks to rebuild and 2 elite RBs might just be too much of a luxury for them, so keep an eye on that little situation cause i could see Fox wanting JStew.

NightTerror218
01-16-2012, 02:23 PM
I dont want to depend on IR rookie RBs no matter how good he eventually looks. The run game needs a shot of adrenaline. For some reason i see James as a Moreno clone. I gotta go back and look at tape of him.
the only TE i see DEN getting possibly is John Carlson and hes coming off a torn labrum. Finley will be franchised by GB, so thats out.
So Dwayne Allen or Colby Fleener in the draft, and Allen will be gone mid 2nd round, and Fleener wont last much longer.
I could see the NYG taking Allen in the 1st!
I say get Pead in the 3rd, and grab Allen Bradford in the 5th.
Ive also seen alot of rumors running around CAR boards that theres just no way CAR wil continue to keep 2 RBs that are costing them so much on the books. They just paid DWill huge money to stay, so i wouldnt put it past CAR to look to trade JStewart for a 2nd. They need high round picks to rebuild and 2 elite RBs might just be too much of a luxury for them, so keep an eye on that little situation cause i could see Fox wanting JStew.

one major difference with James is that he was a run between the tackles RB, Moreno was not that in college. I also like his build compared to Moreno. I though the same thing at first, but I do like Oregon. james does not dance in backfield he just goes. But that could change if he was behind our OL. I think the other RB on IR will replace Johnson. I heard alot of good stuff about him but can not remember his name since he was injured in preseason.

SOCALORADO.
01-16-2012, 02:26 PM
one major difference with James is that he was a run between the tackles RB, Moreno was not that in college. I also like his build compared to Moreno. I though the same thing at first, but I do like Oregon. james does not dance in backfield he just goes. But that could change if he was behind our OL. I think the other RB on IR will replace Johnson. I heard alot of good stuff about him but can not remember his name since he was injured in preseason.

He went to Auburn.
We'll See.
I would like DEN to grab G Carl Nicks in FA to shore up that O-line.
Man, that would go towards fixing alot of the issues there. Get a healthy Kupe back and wala!

NightTerror218
01-16-2012, 02:31 PM
He went to Auburn.
We'll See.
I would like DEN to grab G Carl Nicks in FA to shore up that O-line.
Man, that would go towards fixing alot of the issues there. Get a healthy Kupe back and wala!

I dunno about walton, he was a captain and all. But I think if we can get a sure fire C and Nicks we should be great on OL with good depth.

I think with a good blocking OL McGahee could get some serious more yards since we were one of the leading teams in yards after being touched (McGahee broke a lot of tackles and I think he could plow secondaries if he can get through the DL untouched.

Nick
01-16-2012, 02:51 PM
Mobile QB's have shown a lot of signs winning early because other teams have difficult time predicting and planning around.

They need to just decide if Tebow is going to be the guy in Denver. There are the obvious pros and cons BUT biggest is how much money brings in.

If we Keep Tebow. We need to attack free agency hard and spend money. While there is a huge fad over Tebow, NFL players look at it differently.

Everyone is discussing a WR free agent. If you are a receiver hitting the market.... Do you really want to go to Denver?

Get rid of Royal? Man is open a lot and is clutch when we needed a first so many times... Not his fault but don't see him staying with Broncos.

Pass catching TE... You guys are in fairy land if you think a pass catching TE is going to win us games... Tebow has ridiculously long decision making, slow going through progression and probably just typed all this before he gets rid of the ball.

TE's in New England are nobody's with out Brady and his line.

The areas where Broncos need to address is:

HB x2
CB x2
DT
DE
MLB
S
OT
WR

NightTerror218
01-16-2012, 02:58 PM
Mobile QB's have shown a lot of signs winning early because other teams have difficult time predicting and planning around.

They need to just decide if Tebow is going to be the guy in Denver. There are the obvious pros and cons BUT biggest is how much money brings in.

If we Keep Tebow. We need to attack free agency hard and spend money. While there is a huge fad over Tebow, NFL players look at it differently.

Everyone is discussing a WR free agent. If you are a receiver hitting the market.... Do you really want to go to Denver?

Get rid of Royal? Man is open a lot and is clutch when we needed a first so many times... Not his fault but don't see him staying with Broncos.

Pass catching TE... You guys are in fairy land if you think a pass catching TE is going to win us games... Tebow has ridiculously long decision making, slow going through progression and probably just typed all this before he gets rid of the ball.

TE's in New England are nobody's with out Brady and his line.

The areas where Broncos need to address is:

HB x2
CB x2
DT
DE
MLB
S
OT
WR

Players go where the money is, and as I remember Denver was right at the lower limit of the spending, this year the minimum goes up and they must spend more money. They can easily get a top WR if they fork out the money. They the Julius Thomas who could be a great receiving TE, but had ankle problems all season. A pass catching TE is another weapon to help out in short/mid range passing. Royal was rarely open, he had a lot of drops and is not the best route runner. He does the same double move every route. I however want him to stay here as punt/ko returner and a guy who can be in a slot WR.

How do NFL players see Tebow? You must be one if you know this. I saw a lot of NFL players calling him a true QB after the Steeler game, you must be refering to the Lions DL talking crap or Urlacher?

TC will tell us where Tebow is.

Nick
01-16-2012, 03:19 PM
Players go where the money is, and as I remember Denver was right at the lower limit of the spending, this year the minimum goes up and they must spend more money. They can easily get a top WR if they fork out the money. They the Julius Thomas who could be a great receiving TE, but had ankle problems all season. A pass catching TE is another weapon to help out in short/mid range passing. Royal was rarely open, he had a lot of drops and is not the best route runner. He does the same double move every route. I however want him to stay here as punt/ko returner and a guy who can be in a slot WR.

How do NFL players see Tebow? You must be one if you know this. I saw a lot of NFL players calling him a true QB after the Steeler game, you must be refering to the Lions DL talking crap or Urlacher?

TC will tell us where Tebow is.

I actually know a few NFL players that are now retired.

If Tebow can't utilize his weapons now... Give him more? Take away another blocker for him? Sure TE is another weapon to help out in short/mid range passing. Pass catching TE's are known to be huge in playoffs and Superbowl victories.

Just not with Tebow...

Tebow has showed he can not make those throws well and releasing it, going through any progressions to see him there and let alone him staring at him pondering about it for 2 seconds to throw it.

It is funny that people say all these drops from Decker, Royal, and DT... After we bring in another receiver, something tells me it will be the same.

The DT reception was great and was his only target and #1 progression BUT that is a fluke and what he only did in college.

When I speaking with someone whom did play in NFL and has a couple superbowl rings... Mind you he plays LB.

He mentioned a dropped pass from willis that was easy as can be... he said how the ball needs to be there 2 seconds ago and how he can only fear for the recievers with broncos because they must feel like they are going to get the head knocked off ever reception.

Thanks to Tned and was able to watch a lot of the game footage... I stopped watching after a couple games... There seems to be an open person on every pay on passing specially all the checks.

If they stick with Tebow I really hope he keeps progressing and his #1 supporter but I am not a homer. He needs major work and needs to get the ball there before any receivers are coming here unless drafted... Mark my words.

Nick
01-16-2012, 03:27 PM
Free agent receiver:

To top that off a receiver can take a lot less money and play for a bigger market team and make more money through incentives and endorsements.

NightTerror218
01-16-2012, 03:28 PM

If Tebow can't utilize his weapons now... Give him more? Take away another blocker for him? Sure TE is another weapon to help out in short/mid range passing. Pass catching TE's are known to be huge in playoffs and Superbowl victories.

Just not with Tebow...

Tebow has showed he can not make those throws well and releasing it, going through any progressions to see him there and let alone him staring at him pondering about it for 2 seconds to throw it.

It is funny that people say all these drops from Decker, Royal, and DT... After we bring in another receiver, something tells me it will be the same.

The DT reception was great and was his only target and #1 progression BUT that is a fluke and what he only did in college.

When I speaking with someone whom did play in NFL and has a couple superbowl rings... Mind you he plays LB.

He mentioned a dropped pass from willis that was easy as can be... he said how the ball needs to be there 2 seconds ago and how he can only fear for the recievers with broncos because they must feel like they are going to get the head knocked off ever reception.

Thanks to Tned and was able to watch a lot of the game footage... I stopped watching after a couple games... There seems to be an open person on every pay on passing specially all the checks.

If they stick with Tebow I really hope he keeps progressing and his #1 supporter but I am not a homer. He needs major work and needs to get the ball there before any receivers are coming here unless drafted... Mark my words.

I know he needs work but so do the WRs, their hands have been up and down with catches. Some that are on the money that bounce off their chest, those are bad. I want a sure handed Vet receiver, to help the younger WR also. Tebow needs to work on progressions. But also a lot of young QB are only given 1 side of the field to work with starting off, with Tebow I notice almost all are sideline throws and not in the middle of the field. That is something that needs to be worked on.

We should be able to have the TE running routes rather then blocking him the whole time. It takes away options and lets more guys stack the box. Tebow seemed to utilize weapons very well in some of the 4th quarters when we have gone into the spread offense/hurry up offense.

Also WR use to get heads knocked off, now they are defenseless until they start to run with the ball.

Elevation inc
01-16-2012, 11:34 PM

Just not with Tebow...

lol 16 games...thats it, a rookie year essentially.....in 16 games he passed for almost 3000 yds had 18 td's, 9 ints and a 9-7 record....clearly tebow cant play in the league...sorry nick i dont agree here....

VonSackemMiller
01-16-2012, 11:49 PM
lol 16 games...thats it, a rookie year essentially.....in 16 games he passed for almost 3000 yds had 18 td's, 9 ints and a 9-7 record....clearly tebow cant play in the league...sorry nick i dont agree here....

these guys swear they know everything, Like there shit is golden so we should just buy it. Tebow can play, He has to get better and consistant no doubt but thats every young player. With his work ethic youd think people would be optomistic about the kid instead of writing him off as trash and a never will be.

Elevation inc
01-17-2012, 12:09 AM
these guys swear they know everything, Like there shit is golden so we should just buy it. Tebow can play, He has to get better and consistant no doubt but thats every young player. With his work ethic youd think people would be optomistic about the kid instead of writing him off as trash and a never will be.

you dont help your case though because you have a hard time being objective about things and your posting style comes off as pissy when you talk about tebow.....alot of them just dont want to belive a different opinion is possible, thats fine i am okay with that.......its a internet message board I could care less what alot of people here think cause in the end when elway says he earned it, it holds far more weight than anyone on this board saying he didnt.....stick to your opinions but do it with more tact and you will go along way here

I started a few years ago and had to work to be accepted here, now im just a resident grouch about the OL that is supposedly elite......

VonSackemMiller
01-17-2012, 12:18 AM
Im not looking to be accepted, Aslong as im not disrespecting anybody im fine. I have a ton of salutes in my short time being here so evidently im able to discuss things the right way. Only a handful dont like me.

Elevation inc
01-17-2012, 12:23 AM
Im not looking to be accepted, Aslong as im not disrespecting anybody im fine. I have a ton of salutes in my short time being here so evidently im able to discuss things the right way. Only a handful dont like me.

*sigh* whatever you say bud.....

Ziggy
01-17-2012, 12:59 AM
*sigh* whatever you say bud.....

You can lead a horse to water.....