PDA

View Full Version : Rebecca

Uncle Buck
10-12-2007, 09:09 PM
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t6/BucklandBronco/Rebecca.jpg

I’ve never believed in ghosts. At the same time, I’m not saying that I ever “dis”believed in them either. I was just not one to dwell on or study the paranormal.

What you are about to read is true. While, given recent strange events, I’ve had some hesitation with even mentioning the name, “Rebecca,” aloud, another little voice inside tells me that Rebecca beckons. She wants her story to be told. She craves that, in fact, in order to maintain the only “life” she knows.

From the time I first encountered the presence of this infamous “ghost,” known as “Rebecca,” neither a sun has risen nor set without this capricious little entity residing somewhere in my mind. Sure, I go about most of the more mundane tasks of the day with her unnoticed, beneath the surface. Then there are these unnerving little instances. I see something out of the corner of my eye. A sudden aromatic breeze of springtime drifts into the room. But the window is closed.

The genesis of my bizarre experiences with Rebecca occurred about three weeks back in time—the twenty-third day of September in the year of 2007, to be precise. But due to a quite unusual event that took place just about an hour ago, this story shall begin with the present.

The time was just after 6 p.m. I had just had a quick supper, and returned to the computer to find a stopping place for the remains of the day’s electronic toils. Anticipation of tonight’s Rockies game shared my attention with seeking out more information on Rebecca. Anything. Just a shred, perhaps, but anything!

I pulled up Google, my home page, and punched “Rebecca of Cloudcroft” into the search field. The first page of search results promptly appeared on my screen. I selected the topmost entry. But what happened next was chilling!

At that same exact instant, my machine shut down and REBOOTED itself!

Throughout this unexplainable process, the soft blue aura of the power light retained its usual glow. There was no power fluctuation at the time. The room lights did not flicker. Kathy’s laptop, in the adjacent room, was oblivious to any interruptions.

Coincidence? Sure. It has to be. After all, it’s a lot easier to believe in coincidences than the notion of…GHOSTS?

(To be continued…)

Escobar
10-12-2007, 09:13 PM
haha, ghosts are back!

Snapping Turtle
10-12-2007, 09:17 PM
TELL MORE TELL MORE :eek::ahhhhh:

Jody
10-12-2007, 10:13 PM
It's easier to brush the oddity of a situation off than to accept it as what it is or may possibly be.

Albert Einstein
"It is possible that there exists emotions that are still unknown to us. Do you remember how electrical currents and unseen waves were laughed at? The knowledge about man is still in its infancy."

KCL
10-12-2007, 10:19 PM
It's easier to brush the oddity of a situation off than to accept it as what it is or may possibly be.

Albert Einstein
"It is possible that there exists emotions that are still unknown to us. Do you remember how electrical currents and unseen waves were laughed at? The knowledge about man is still in its infancy."

HW Einstein........:laugh:

Uncle Buck
10-26-2007, 10:31 PM
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t6/BucklandBronco/CloudcroftInnLobby.jpg

Sunday, September 23, 2007 – Alamogordo, NM:

Hitherto, I had never heard of Cloudcroft--much less, the alleged resident ghost, “Rebecca,” reputed to “haunt” the historic inn within this tiny mountain community. The notion of “ghosts” borders on the absurd, to the logic of the common-sense mind. We of “reason” know that whatever comprises “us” as unique individuals is confined within our basal “animal” skulls, right? The moment the brain’s required ration of oxygen, via the cardio-pulmonary system, it becomes no longer “conscious.” At that instant, “death” is imminent. Upon “death,” the multitude of life’s (the living) species commence their ghoulish feast, culminating in Nature’s grand reclamation of death into life, albeit, final for the entity that goes before.

Cold logic tells us that human “awareness” cannot exist without one particular organ—the brain.

Sure, there is the “spiritualist’s” notion there is another element to supposedly carnal existence that is not confined to the physical human entity (which includes that material organ, know as the “brain”). So, this “spirit” is released upon the event of so-called “death.”
But, to some of certain religious faiths, there is a non-material element to the human physiognomy: the soul. In the minds of many “Christians,” this soul is a living thing—either committed to Heaven or to Hell, on the event of corporal death.

[Please note: the above is an over-simplification—and gross generalization—in terms of representing what many Christians and other religions of the world actually believe—at the personal level.

For example, some Christians believe in a literal “Hell,” where the unsaved sinner will burn in horrible “Hades,” forever. I, personally, throw this out as rubbish, as this notion of ”eternal punishment” necessarily represents God as an entity capable of unimaginable cruelty—greatly exceeding the capability of any of the worst of the mortals he would be presumed to have created.

Other Christians would interpret “Hell” as just dying, devoid of the knowledge of Jesus, with no afterlife. While, some sects of the more devout believe that there will be a Judgment Day. If you are an unredeemed sinner, you will not be committed to the torture of an eternal Hell, but you WILL be aware enough to see what all you have missed.

And then there are those of certain Eastern faiths who believe that we are all shared particles of the same cosmic dust. And, based upon that, would not harm any living thing, including a fly. There is some merit to that belief. Think about that, next time you swat a fly. That fly may be “you,” in the next life… a hapless victim of reincarnation.]

Pardon moi for the lengthy digression. Didn’t mean to bore the reader here, only to set up the premises for either the credibility or dis-credibility of events to follow…

The time was shortly before 11 in the morning when we left the heat of the high plains desert below, to begin our ascent to Cloudcroft. The temperature dropped with every serpentine mile that separated us from the flats below.

My mind was in the travel mode. I neither knew nor cared about the nature of our destination at the time. I was the driver of a car, following the minivan ahead. After all, they were the ones to pick Cloudcroft as our destination de jour, not me. Me, I just enjoyed the ascent, while occasionally commissioning K to take digital videos of the scenery around us, with CCR’s “Susie Q” blasting in the background. Credence makes for great road music, by the away—along with an innumerable group of assorted eclectic artists… Joni, Heart, Mozart, Pretenders, Gershwin, Pink, Buck Owens, coming to mind (yet only scratching the surface).

Cloudcroft:

Around noonish, we arrive at the parking lot below the lodge. My favorite young nemesis, Monika (precocious 11-year-old grand daughter), comes over to our car, brochure in hand.

“Do you know about Rebecca?” she queried, pointing at one of the highlights in the lodge literature.

I was distracted, my eyes fixed upon the restless clouds above, along with the sudden chill. I was dressed for the climate below. And, then my eyes were focused upon the tower above the lodge.

“No, Monika, but she has red hair.”

Her eyes turned back to the brochure, where there was no image of Rebecca.

“How do you know that, Far Far?”

I did not respond, because I really did not know.

I just felt that she had red hair.

(Next, The Ascent….)

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t6/BucklandBronco/Cloudcroft.jpg

underrated29
10-26-2007, 10:50 PM
maybe i didnt read through this as thoroughly as i should have, and maybe you are still adding more but.....:confused:

i'm lost....did i completly miss something?

Jody
10-26-2007, 11:23 PM
maybe i didnt read through this as thoroughly as i should have, and maybe you are still adding more but.....:confused:

Short stories underrated! This is part II of Cloudcroft "Rebecca".
Stay tuned for Part III from Far, Far? :confused:

Uncle Buck
10-26-2007, 11:45 PM

If you "missed something," I guess that could be attributed to my failure to properly set up the account, my friend. It all began with our trip to New Mexico, last summer, where I had the personal "experience" with meeting up with this residident ghost, "Rebecca."

The events to follow are "strange."

Uncle Buck
10-26-2007, 11:51 PM
Short stories underrated! This is part II of Cloudcroft "Rebecca".
Stay tuned for Part III from Far, Far? :confused:

Part III will be the difficult part, but thank you for acting as my "shortstop," baby. :cool:

Jody
10-30-2007, 07:45 AM
Part III will be the difficult part, but thank you for acting as my "shortstop," baby. :cool:

It's almost Halloween.....please....part III...."the Rest of the Story"...:D