PDA

View Full Version : Heat is on McDaniels

Magnificent Seven
03-01-2009, 06:00 PM
The pressure is now on Josh McDaniels in Denver.

The events of Saturday could shape his career in Denver. Frankly, it's going to be challenging.

A source close to the situation confirmed the Broncos were trying to trade for New England quarterback Matt Cassel before he was traded to Kansas City. McDaniels was trying to trade Denver Pro Bowl quarterback Jay Cutler to Tampa Bay in a three-way deal that involved Cassel.

McDaniels apparently concluded that he would rather have Cassel than Cutler in Denver. Cassel starred under McDaniels in New England last season as an injury replacement for Tom Brady.

Five league insiders I polled Saturday consider Cutler a better player than Cassel. However, it is within McDaniels' right to pursue Cassel.

Now that the trade wasn't made and it's public, the heat is on McDaniels. He will have to quickly repair a damaged relationship with his most important player or trade Cutler. But then he'll have to find another quarterback to take over in Denver. That is not going to be easy.

McDaniels is going to be reminded by the media about the Cassel-Cutler fiasco at least twice a year for the rest of his tenure in Denver when the Broncos and Chiefs meet.

The trade talks have changed the relationship between Cutler and McDaniels before it really got started. Can it be saved?

Yes, but McDaniels will have to act quickly. If McDaniels trades Cutler and Cutler blossoms into a star and Denver doesn't develop a star replacement or if Cutler goes in the tank under McDaniels, his career in Denver will be difficult to save.

This can still be a good pairing in Denver, but Saturday's events made it a murky situation more than six months before McDaniels coaches his first NFL game.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest/0-3-1667/Heat-is-on-McDaniels.html

Magnificent Seven
03-01-2009, 06:02 PM
Maybe the Broncos and Chiefs should talk swap.

Here's an idea:

How about a Jay Cutler for Matt Cassel trade?

By now, the football world knows that the Broncos were involved in talks about getting Matt Cassel from New England before the Patriots traded Tom Brady's injury replacement to Kansas City. The Broncos' motivation was to reunite former New England offensive coordinator and new Denver head coach Josh McDaniels and Cassel.

Then, Denver, as ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports, may have sent Cutler to Tampa Bay.
The Broncos are now in a bind. Cassel is out of the picture and Cutler is upset that the Broncos entertain the thought of dealing him. Cutler would like Denver to deal him.

The Broncos can do two things: Try to mend the issue with Cutler or deal him. The problem is, Denver has other quarterback options if it trades Cutler.

So maybe the Broncos go back to the root of the issue and offer Cutler to Kansas City for Cassel if McDaniels really would prefer Cassel. In most NFL circles, the younger, more experienced Cutler is considered a better player than Cassel.

Yes, Cassel fits the Patriots Way that McDaniels appears to be is so consumed by and he runs the same system as McDaniels, but Cutler is the better player. Perhaps Chiefs general manager Scott Pioli, another Patriot disciple who also lives the Patriot Way, would see a bargain and make the swap.

After all, talents like Cutler don't get shopped every day. Then, everyone would be happy. McDaniels get be back with Cassel and the Chiefs would get a very good player from one of their rivals.

Makes sense, right? But, of course, this likely won't happen because it all so absurd.

But then, this whole saga has been absurd.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest/0-3-1673/Maybe-the-Broncos-and-Chiefs-should-talk-swap.html

silkamilkamonico
03-01-2009, 06:02 PM
Good article.

And I agree the pressure is on McDaniels, as well as Cutler.

BroncoJoe
03-01-2009, 06:03 PM
WOW! I didn't realize we tried to trade Cutler!

Thanks for making this new thread!

Magnificent Seven
Bucs need to go out and land Cutler.

Go ahead and criticize the Bucs for not doing more, so far, in free agency. But don't question their effort.

The Bucs made a very serious run at defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth before losing out to the Washington Redskins. All indications are they were willing to spend something close to what the Redskins ended up giving up for Haynesworth.

Now, there's growing evidence that all that talk about the Bucs trying to land Jay Cutler in a trade Saturday was far more than an exploratory effort. ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported the Bucs offered to trade for Cutler in a three-way deal that would have given the Chiefs Matt Cassel and the Patriots a draft pick that would have been much higher than the second-round choice New England ended up taking from Kansas City in a trade for Cassel. Mortensen said the Patriots could have received a pick that could have been as early as No. 12 in the first round.

This story is not over yet. Mortensen reported Cutler is not happy with the fact that he even was shopped for a trade and you can't blame him. The guy is coming off a very nice season and he can't feel good that the new regime was considering unloading him and bringing in Cassel.

That hurt isn't likely to just go away. If the Broncos were even thinking about trading Cutler this time, there's a very good chance he still might be on the block. There's also a chance that this might be such a blow to Cutler's ego, he may now ask out of Denver.

The Bucs have to be keeping a close eye on this situation. A lot of people think they should have made a run at Cassel. They didn't and apparently have identified Cutler as a guy they really like. They've got to continue to pursue this one.

They've been coming close to a lot of big deals, but haven't come up with much aside from tight end Kellen Winslow. The Bucs have finished second a couple of times already in this round of free agency.

With Cutler on the table, the Bucs have to make sure they go out and finish first in this situation. If it comes to giving up their first-round pick (19th overall) and maybe even more, this is a move they need to make.

Cutler's already a good quarterback and he's young enough to have lots of upside. He's better than anybody the Bucs will be able to draft and he's better than any free agent. If Tampa Bay can go out and get Cutler, they can make everyone forget about Haynesworth and other second-place finishes. This one would excite a tense fan base. More importantly, adding Cutler instantly would make the Bucs a much better team.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfcsouth/0-9-0/Bucs-need-to-go-out-and-land-Cutler.html

shank
Good article.

And I agree the pressure is on McDaniels, as well as Cutler.

it will be cutler who makes mcdaniels look stupid. hopefully he does so in orange and blue.

Magnificent Seven
03-01-2009, 06:04 PM
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=3943257&categoryid=2459789

silkamilkamonico
03-01-2009, 06:04 PM
it will be cutler who makes mcdaniels look stupid. hopefully he does so in orange and blue.

Lets hope so. His soap opera stint of what the Denver front office allegedly did sure doesn't help his case at all though.

nevcraw
03-01-2009, 06:07 PM
what I fear most is that little Joshy McDicknut will not man up to Cutler and basically make it irreparable. Then we will be watching some shitty 2nd rate QB take the field in the 09 season opener..

silkamilkamonico
03-01-2009, 06:10 PM
what I fear most is that little Joshy McDicknut will not man up to Cutler and basically make it irreparable. Then we will be watching some shitty 2nd rate QB take the field in the 09 season opener..

I actually fear the flipside of it. McDaniels will try extra hard, considering his future image in the NFL basically starts at the QB position.

Can Cutler be mature enough to handle it?

Magnificent Seven
03-01-2009, 06:45 PM

Just wanted to share some different articles from ESPN.

Lonestar
03-01-2009, 06:53 PM
hey how about jay goes to TPA for their draft choice and their rights to Jake..

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:: laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Watchthemiddle
03-01-2009, 06:55 PM
hey how about jay goes to TPA for their draft choice and their rights to Jake..

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:: laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I was just going to post that......:beer:

Lonestar
03-01-2009, 08:14 PM
I was wondering when some IDIOT reporter was going to call Jake for his reaction to this soap opera.. would not be surprised to read in in sporting news tomorrow..

Magnificent Seven
03-01-2009, 08:19 PM
Do you think that Pat Bowlen is disappointed with McDaniels' performance?

SmilinAssasSin27
03-01-2009, 08:21 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-mU-YSk32I

Magnificent Seven
03-01-2009, 08:30 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-mU-YSk32I

LOL. Good one!

LoyalSoldier
03-01-2009, 08:33 PM
Speaking of Jake I just saw him last night at the ASU @ WSU basketball game.

Den21vsBal19
03-01-2009, 08:47 PM
Do you think that Pat Bowlen is disappointed with McDaniels' performance?
Bowlen's silence is deafening....................

TXBRONC
03-01-2009, 08:50 PM
Bowlen's silence is deafening....................

Publicly, but that may not be true behind the scenes.

Den21vsBal19
03-01-2009, 08:50 PM
Publicly, but that may not be true behind the scenes.
I should bloody hope not!!!!

Northman
03-01-2009, 08:51 PM

McDicknut. :lol:

Northman
03-01-2009, 08:52 PM
I was wondering when some IDIOT reporter was going to call Jake for his reaction to this soap opera.. would not be surprised to read in in sporting news tomorrow..

I bet he will be smiling.

TXBRONC
03-01-2009, 09:24 PM

It wouldn't surprise me.

Slick
03-01-2009, 09:31 PM
I think McD's silence is something he learned from Bellicheck. He's not going to deny or feed rumors. It would be nice for him to make a public vote of confidence in his QB, but he doesn't have to. These guys are grown men, this isn't high school.

What matters to me most as a fan is what happens on the field next season. I'll root for whoever wears our colors and I'll root for our coach to succeed.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-01-2009, 09:44 PM
http://www.kdvr.com/news/kdvr-josina-bcos-030109,0,5768064.story?page=1

DENVER - So Brian Xanders is getting on-the-job training as a new general manager, and Josh McDaniels is the youngest head coach in the NFL. What does this all mean for the Denver Broncos right now? Chaos in the forecast.

When owner Pat Bowlen lured McDaniels away from the New England Patriot dynasty, and presented him as the next mile high magician to transform this organization right after "Mickey-D" worked his most infamous trick on quarterback Matt Cassel, the last thing anyone suspected in the beginning of this new era is a big gray cloud swooping in swiftly over the Broncos' 2nd ranked offense.

But right now, that's exactly what's coming, and it's called the, "Jay Cutler you know what storm."

Thanks to McDaniels' and Xanders' inexperience, the Broncos' starting quarterback learned his name was tangled in a tornado of trade talk from all the wrong sources-as in from everybody but Bronco officials.

Saturday NFL.com reported that the Tampa Bay Buccaneers approached the Broncos about constructing a three-way trade that would have shipped Cutler to the Bay, and sent Cassel to Denver.

Later that same afternoon, Cutler's agent, Bus Cook, told FOX31 Sports the Broncos never guaranteed his client's future with the team.

"They never definitively told me one way or the other whether [Cutler] would be traded or not. Nobody has talked to me, and no other teams have talked to me."

Furthermore with reports persisting that the Detroit Lions were on Cutler's trade trail as well, can anyone question why Cuter may feel McDaniels is two-faced in claiming the Broncos were only fielding inquiries?

Right….

Here's what one offensive starter told FOX31 Sports Sunday morning about talk of the unthinkable happening to Cutler.

"First of all you have pissed Cutler off, and you've thrown gasoline on that personality of his. Bad idea."

The offensive starter told FOX31 that he recently had an encounter with McDaniels, and was feeling excited about the team's future. Now, he feels as though even he will get mad if they let Cutler go.

"That [edit] is really trying to [edit] things up here. [McDaniels] is for real trying to bring the [Bill] Belichick way of doing things here. Not to mention I just talked to [Tony] Scheffler when [edit] hit the fan, and he told me [the Broncos] are trying to send him away with Jay [Cutler]."

Cook represents both Cutler and Broncos tight end Tony Scheffler.

Other published reports indicated Scheffler may have been included in trade talks as well.

At the end of the day, both Cutler and Scheffler may just have to cool off. Plus, I don't think Cutler can picture himself hanging out in the downtown Detroit clubs anyways.

All things said, this is why right now it looks like the Broncos have hired electricians to do a cable man's job.

Nobody is saying that McDaniels and Xanders aren't skilled.

The question is, do they have the right skills set for their jobs?

First and foremost, anyone who covers the Broncos knows that the most pressing problem on this team is their 29th ranked defense.

Over the last four seasons, while running through four different coordinators, the problem on this team has traditionally been the line-a line that mind you has consistently been unable to generate pressure and plug the run.

Thus, the first acquisition that should have been finalized when the free agent market opened should have been for a defensive tackle or a defensive end.

Period.

No if, and's or butt's.

What good can newly-signed seven-time Pro Bowl safety Brian Dawkins do in the secondary, if he doesn't have the same pressure he enjoyed up front in Philly?

To get the right answer ask John Lynch, Nick Ferguson, Domonique Foxworth, Marlon McCree, or Marquand Manuel.

The new look Broncos' answer: reportedly agreeing to sign ex-Colt defensive tackle Darrell Reid to a three-year, $6.8 million dollar deal when the word on this guy is that he's more known as a special teams star who only started two games at tackle in his entire four year Colt career.

Not to mention that Reid weighs 17 pounds less, and is one inch shorter than Marcus Thomas-the leading tackling tackle on the Broncos' team right now.

Granted, Reid had two more sacks than Thomas last season [Reid 2S; Thomas 0S], but Thomas had four more total tackles [Thomas 34 TT; Reid 30TT] if you want to go there.

Either way, the difference doesn't seem significant.

Furthermore, FOX 31 Sports learned that as of Saturday morning the Broncos were still calling in inquiries on defensive tackle Grady Jackson, but that they have yet to pitch a substantive offer--relying rather too much on a wait-and-see strategy that might blow up in their face.

Speaking of blowing up….

Latest reports indicate that there are now "contract language issues" in the four-year deal the Broncos and running back J.J. Arrington had agreed upon originally-issues that are big enough for the Broncos to now schedule a visit with free-agent runningback Derrick Ward today.

Here is what Arrington's agent, John W. Rickert told FOX31 Sports directly Sunday morning.

"I would not say that the deal is dead. I also wouldn't say that a deal is imminent. It's not a case of if the Broncos would just do this, or just do that, we would have a deal, it's just a case of we don't have a deal from both sides. It wouldn't surprise me if something got done in the future."

While Rickert declined to comment on what the contractual sticking point is, there is some talk among league insiders that Ward may have been pitched an offer by the Cincinnati Bengals similar to that initially agreed upon with Arrington, and now the Broncos have moved in a different direction to try their luck with Ward at a lower price.

Here's what Rickert emphasized in closing:

"The Broncos are exploring other options at the running back position, and if they don't find what they are looking for, I could conceivably see them coming back to talk to us."

Well, before the Arrington agreement blew up, fans were left to make sense of the Broncos signing Rickert's other client, former Eagle running back Correll Buckhalter to a reported four-year deal; this after telling former Bronco back Michael Pittman he wouldn't be re-signed-at least before the market opened.

My objective question:

Why would you let Pittman walk, given the knowledge he already possesses with the zone blocking system that traditionally has been successful here, and given the tape of his performance gaining a 109 yards, and 88 yards in his 2 starting opportunities respectively, for another backup?

Wouldn't prior experience with this system be the trump card for Pittman?

Sure he's older on paper, but he doesn't have the tread on the tires that other backs his age have because Pittman's been sharing the ball his whole career.

Not to say that Buckhalter doesn't stake a claim with his resume in backing up Brian Westbrook.

Despite his knee issues between 2002-05, the 369 yards Buckhalter gained last season was more than any other injured Bronco back in the same period-emphasis though on injured, as in, in the past tense.

Last season, Pittman told FOX31 Sports he was put on injured reserve before Mike Shanahan ever talked to him directly about his neck injury that subsequently turned out to be less serious than initially indicated.

"Of course I feel like I am the better back, but [the Broncos] had to do what was best for them. As an older guy I have to respect that. I may end up back there, but it's not likely right now," Pittman said in a phone conversation with FOX31 Sports when reached Sunday morning as well.

Regardless, between all of the additions of players like safeties Brian Dawkins and Renaldo Hill, linebacker Andra Davis, wide receiver Jabar Gaffney and on, the Broncos probably could have better allocated all those dollars so far over less resources by just plugging up the front line with fewer signed guys.

The trickle-down effect by just doing that might have been worth the saved dollars in this recession.

Watchthemiddle
03-01-2009, 09:49 PM

Jake is :rofl:

And Shanahan is having a :beer:

JKcatch724
03-01-2009, 09:54 PM
Here's what one offensive starter told FOX31 Sports Sunday morning about talk of the unthinkable happening to Cutler.

"First of all you have pissed Cutler off, and you've thrown gasoline on that personality of his. Bad idea."

The offensive starter told FOX31 that he recently had an encounter with McDaniels, and was feeling excited about the team's future. Now, he feels as though even he will get mad if they let Cutler go.

"That [edit] is really trying to [edit] things up here. [McDaniels] is for real trying to bring the [Bill] Belichick way of doing things here. Not to mention I just talked to [Tony] Scheffler when [edit] hit the fan, and he told me [the Broncos] are trying to send him away with Jay [Cutler]."

What is this, the Cowboys? Good lord.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-01-2009, 10:01 PM
Video discussion on NFL.com

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80f041dd

Den21vsBal19
03-02-2009, 04:42 AM
http://www.kdvr.com/news/kdvr-josina-bcos-030109,0,5768064.story?page=1

DENVER - So Brian Xanders is getting on-the-job training as a new general manager, and Josh McDaniels is the youngest head coach in the NFL. What does this all mean for the Denver Broncos right now? Chaos in the forecast.

Sounds like a right royal Charlie Foxtrot :tsk:

OK, I know nothing sells like bad news, but is there any positive in there? :confused:

fcspikeit
03-02-2009, 04:58 AM

A Lot of people still don't realize McDaniels tried to trade Cutler.. :coffee:

Traveler
03-02-2009, 06:31 AM
Wonder if McDaniels & Cut can get past this. Hope so. Immature, bone-headed moves by both McD and Cutler.

That said, Raheem Morris sure looks good to me right now. (couldn't resist:D)

warcrychief
03-02-2009, 07:09 AM

I dont know i think McNifcent is doing a pretty good job himself :beer:

BeefStew25
03-02-2009, 08:00 AM
Wonder if McDaniels & Cut can get past this. Hope so. Immature, bone-headed moves by both McD and Cutler.

That said, Raheem Morris sure looks good to me right now. (couldn't resist:D)

Raheem didn't set the world on fire regarding the release of Derrick Brooks.

elsid13
03-02-2009, 08:13 AM
Raheem didn't set the world on fire regarding the release of Derrick Brooks.

But at least that made sense to fans. They understand when you have to release a member of the team that reach a point of his career that he is no longer productive on the field. Veteran that needs to hang it up are different then coming into their own young players.

broncofaninfla
03-02-2009, 08:27 AM
With this kind of turmoil already, no sense of direction in free agency and I bet this years draft, Marshall being an idiot and our schedule I can't help but feel we are going to suck next season. If so, McKid is gone.

claymore
03-02-2009, 08:31 AM
With this kind of turmoil already, no sense of direction in free agency and I bet this years draft, Marshall being an idiot and our schedule I can't help but feel we are going to suck next season. If so, McKid is gone.

He better be one hell of a coach. We may have a younger slimmer version of wade phillips.

elsid13
03-02-2009, 08:34 AM
He better be one hell of a coach. We may have a younger slimmer version of wade phillips.

Which means that Jeremy Bates will back in two years and we be on our way to back to back Super Bowls!

skycoyote
03-02-2009, 08:41 AM

He isn't. :defense:

broncofaninfla
03-02-2009, 08:45 AM
Somewhere Shanny and teh Goodman's are sitting back laughing.