PDA

View Full Version : Paxton Added; Leach Released

Denver Native (Carol)
03-01-2009, 04:45 PM
This one I will never understand - Leach was great at his position????? Oh wait, Paxton spent the last nine seasons with the Pats - now I get it :tsk:

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=8864

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- A day after announcing the signing of Brian Dawkins, the Broncos have announced the addition of unrestricted free-agent long snapper long snapper Lonie Paxton.

Paxton joins the Broncos after spending nine seasons with the New England Patriots. He played in 155 games with the team and helped the club to three Super Bowl titles, six division titles and eight winning seasons during that time.

He has not missed a game in the last five seasons, handling long-snapping duties for the Patriots in 80 consecutive regular-season games and 91 overall games in a row dating back to the start of the 2004 campaign.

Paxton is a familar face to Head Coach Josh McDaniels, who spent seven seasons with the long-snapper in New England.

In addition, the team released tight end/long snapper Mike Leach.

Leach, nine-year veteran, spent the last seven seasons with the Broncos. He was originally entered the NFL as a college free agent with the Tennessee Titans.

He has played in all 16 games for the last six seasons as the team's longsnapper while also seeing action on special teams.

shank
03-01-2009, 04:48 PM
i want fan and player reactions on the 6 o clock news. McAsshat is a joke.

frauschieze
03-01-2009, 04:50 PM
:bawling:

</3

I will never recover.

dogfish
03-01-2009, 04:54 PM
BOOOOO!!

:2thumbsdown:

NameUsedBefore
03-01-2009, 04:56 PM
1) Dude better snap butterflies for balls. Seriously, they better be dancing their way to the holder.

2) If he's not consistently the first guy in the punt returner's face he's an automatic downgrade from Leach.

omac
03-01-2009, 04:58 PM
Good luck, Mike. You deserved much better than this. :salute:

honz
03-01-2009, 05:08 PM
I liked Leach, but as long as our Special Teams coverage improves I don't care who we release.

shank
03-01-2009, 05:11 PM
I liked Leach, but as long as our Special Teams coverage improves I don't care who we release.

the first step to improving on special teams is to cut your most consistent special teams player. McLogic.

frauschieze
03-01-2009, 05:13 PM
the first step to improving on special teams is to cut your best and most consistent special teams player. McLogic.

Edited for greater accuracy.

honz
03-01-2009, 05:14 PM
the first step to improving on special teams is to cut your most consistent special teams player. McLogic.

...on a consistently bad special teams unit. I'm not sure why he felt the need to bring in someone to replace Leach, but I'm just sayin'.

MHCBill
03-01-2009, 05:15 PM
How much did Leach make?

How much will the new guy make?

Will this guy be better than Leach?

I go away for a weekend and all hell breaks lose in Dove Valley.

shank
03-01-2009, 05:18 PM
How much did Leach make?

leach's cap # was $ 810,880 in 2008.

paxton just became the 2nd highest paid long snapper in league history. 5 yr/5.3 mill + 1mill signing bonus iirc.

mike leach was our flawless LS and our best coverage guy... no, lonie will not be better, he's just kind enough to give McSlutbag reach-arounds.

frauschieze
03-01-2009, 05:21 PM
How much did Leach make?

Leach's contract base: four-year contract with base salaries of $585,000 (2006), $720,000 (2007), $730,000 (2008) and $740,000 (2009).

Lonie Paxton's is a five year $5.5 million dollar deal.

No, he will not be better than Leach. It's a lateral move. Paxton is good but so is Leach.

Do not leave again. This weekend has been hell.

MHCBill
03-01-2009, 05:26 PM
For God's sake... I have never felt so low about the Broncos.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-01-2009, 05:30 PM

But, you don't replace one of the FEW bright spots :tsk:

omac
03-01-2009, 05:31 PM
How much did Leach make?

You mean all of this could have been averted? Dammit, why did you go away? :D

shank
03-01-2009, 05:55 PM
Leach's contract base: four-year contract with base salaries of $585,000 (2006), $720,000 (2007), $730,000 (2008) and $740,000 (2009).

Lonie Paxton's is a five year $5.5 million dollar deal.

No, he will not be better than Leach. It's a lateral move. Paxton is good but so is Leach.

Do not leave again. This weekend has been hell.

i agree with everything but the lateral move statement. it's a step backwards. we are now paying about 60% more to replace a man who did his job as well as anyone in the league.

if your boss did that to a co-worker, how would you feel?

sneakers
03-01-2009, 05:55 PM
I doubt he will have any problem finding another job.

elsid13
03-01-2009, 05:57 PM

Most likely in New England for less then our LS is making.

shank
03-01-2009, 05:58 PM

oh yeah, no problem. he'll just have to move him and his family across the country so that McKid and "six-pax" can play halo and watch gilmore girls together.

frauschieze
03-01-2009, 06:00 PM
i agree with everything but the lateral move statement. it's a step backwards. we are now paying about 60% more to replace a man who did his job as well as anyone in the league.

if your boss did that to a co-worker, how would you feel?

I'll be watching Paxton closely the next upcoming years, but from what I've heard, his skills are a match for Leach's. I am attempting to console myself with that until I can see whether or not Paxton is making downfield tackles and taking out blockers. First botched snap and heads will ROLL.

And yeah, the money thing makes this a horrible move. Shit, Leach was even our emergency backup QB. Can Paxton do that?

frauschieze
03-01-2009, 06:01 PM
oh yeah, no problem. he'll just have to move him and his family across the country so that McKid and "six-pax" can play halo and watch gilmore girls together.

He and his family did a lot for the Denver community, and the hospitals in particular. We didn't just lose out on a great player. We lost a pillar of the team and the community.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-01-2009, 06:35 PM
[QUOTE=

And yeah, the money thing makes this a horrible move. Shit, Leach was even our emergency backup QB. Can Paxton do that?[/QUOTE]

Well of course he can do that Frau - he played for the Pats

frauschieze
03-01-2009, 06:42 PM
Well of course he can do that Frau - he played for the Pats

But I hear he can only do it on the road when he stays in a Holiday Inn Express the night before a game. :rolleyes: