PDA

View Full Version : Rumormill- Xanders nixed potential deal for Cutler

Northman
03-01-2009, 12:13 PM
This is taken from the Mane by a guy who is generally pretty credible but i still want to point out that its only a rumor but figured it was worth posting regardless. This is what Montrose had to say on the Mane:

* RUMOR ALERT * I was given this information this morning by a trustworthy source in the media that I've used sparingly in the past. I have no idea about the validity of it but wanted to pass along the info. Again, I'm passing along a RUMOR here, and that's all:

What I was told was McDaniels and Xanders disagreed on a potential 3-way deal that would've sent Jay Cutler to Tampa, Matt Cassel to Denver and draft picks to New England. Apparently, while attempting to finalize a deal with Brian Dawkins Friday night, the Broncos received the call about that potential deal. I was told that McDaniels wanted to do the deal to get his guy but Xanders did not. After the much publicized deliberation, Xanders put the kibosh to the deal as he has full authority over personnel. This may have occurred around the same time Kansas City formalized their deal for Cassel creating the effect that the Broncos wanted the deal to go through. In short, the Broncos planned on turning the deal down but did consider it. However, if this RUMOR is true it shows that not only are McDaniels and Xanders possibly not on the same page, but the GM may have more clout than we expected.

claymore
03-01-2009, 12:16 PM
This is taken from the Mane by a guy who is generally pretty credible but i still want to point out that its only a rumor but figured it was worth posting regardless. This is what Montrose had to say on the Mane:

If this is true...... Its ridiculously silly that Denver wouldnt have received any draft picks. A one for one swap? LOL........ Wow.

DenBronx
03-01-2009, 12:17 PM
thank god for GM's!

underrated29
03-01-2009, 12:19 PM
good. And i hope that that xanders then has more power. Enough to tell MCd that some players you just do not trade.

DenBronx
03-01-2009, 12:22 PM
i bet JM was 100% sure that X-MAN would say yes.

now he just looks like an idiot and has alot of explaining to do.

topscribe
03-01-2009, 12:32 PM
IF it is true, then my opinion of McDaniels is getting lower by the minute. I
have suspected him of nepotism/cronyism as it is, with his brother (what is a
"Coaching Assistant"?) and the deal with the long snapper, for instance. Now,
he wants to replace Cutler, with his Elway-esque talents and abilities, with a
QB who led a loaded team, that went 18-1 the previous year under Brady, to
a astounding 11-5 record?

Was there coffee all over Bowlen's monitor screen after he heard about it?

If Xanders indeed put his foot down in this mess, I hope he keeps his foot
down until McKid grows up. Meanwhile, here's hoping McKid didn't destroy any
chance at building any kind of rapport with the closest thing to The Franchise
the Broncos have.

I'm getting close to saying, "What a baffoon." I'm not there yet, but I'm close. :tsk:

-----

broncohead
03-01-2009, 12:37 PM
The Lions are expected to keep a "very close eye" on the Jay Cutler situation in Denver.

The Broncos adamantly denied wanting to trade Cutler Saturday, but Lions beat writer Tom Kowalski thinks he can still be had. Detroit has two first-round picks to offer, but with no QB chips it'll be a tough sell. Still, Cutler could go back on the block if the Broncos deem the situation irreparable.

This is from rotoworld. Didn't want to start another thread so I posted it here. Something to discuss.

BigCurly1230
03-01-2009, 12:40 PM
Montrose has always been on top of things, even from the good ol' days at the freak!

DenBronx
03-01-2009, 12:42 PM
cutler doesnt think his relationship with mckid is repairable but did state "i play for the team and i play for this organization" he also stated "i hope to remain a bronco"

honz
03-01-2009, 12:47 PM
You guys have to remember that McDaniels has no investment in Cutler. He didn't draft Cutler, he hasn't watched Cutler for the past 3 seasons, he hasn't bought any #6 jerseys, etc. He knows Cassel and knows exactly what he is getting if he were to replace Cutler. Now I'm not saying I would have approved of such a deal, but I understand where he is coming from if he did in fact want to trade Cutler.

I still think that this whole thing was probably blown out of proportion though.

Italianmobstr7
03-01-2009, 12:49 PM
cutler doesnt think his relationship with mckid is repairable but did state "i play for the team and i play for this organization" he also stated "i hope to remain a bronco"

In his own interview on the phone with Vic Lombardi he said that he "could" repair the relationship with Mcd. He said their relationship took a couple steps back but that he wants to remain a Bronco. Where did you hear that he cant fix his relationship with Mcd?

shank
03-01-2009, 12:49 PM

not exactly...

here's the full quote:
"Anything can be mended," he said. "I'll always play with the guys we've got. I love playing for those guys. Obviously, Josh and I's relationship has taken a few steps backward. I don't play for the coaches anyway, I play for teammates. As long as we keep the guys we've got I'll go out there and play. I love those guys."

DenBronx
03-01-2009, 12:50 PM
You guys have to remember that McDaniels has no investment in Cutler. He didn't draft Cutler, he hasn't watched Cutler for the past 3 seasons, he hasn't bought any #6 jerseys, etc. He knows Cassel and knows exactly what he is getting if he were to replace Cutler. Now I'm not saying I would have approved of such a deal, but I understand where he is coming from if he did in fact want to trade Cutler.

I still think that this whole thing was probably blown out of proportion though.

he has an investment in the broncos organization though as a head coach. you dont trade away the face of the organization. what if shanahan would have tried this when he first got here with elway? now that dungy is out in indy should they trade maning for cassel and lose their draft position at 12?

Northman
03-01-2009, 12:53 PM

Yea, i do understand the business side of things but when your considered a great "evaluator" of talent it doesnt take a rocket scientist to understand that what your getting with Jay is if at worse anything you get with Cassell and thats being generous. How you can apply for a job with another team and not know going into what is needed to be done or have some familiarity with it is beyond me. If i apply for a job i know exactly what i need to do and how to go about it. I hope your right that this all is blown out of proportion but i also wouldnt be shocked if this lingers a bit. No matter where you stand as far as having Jay be traded it was totally mishandled by McDaniel's and could backfire regarding the rest of the team. Lets hope thats not the case here.

LordTrychon
03-01-2009, 12:54 PM
not exactly...

here's the full quote:

Yeah, but the comment that some people are attributing to Jay 'I think it's beyond repair' was from an outside source. It was that source's opinion.

Jay said the opposite.

We're all allowed to have our opinions... but I'll take Jay's over Mr. Anonymous'.

BroncoJoe
03-01-2009, 12:56 PM
he has an investment in the broncos organization though as a head coach. you dont trade away the face of the organization. what if shanahan would have tried this when he first got here with elway? now that dungy is out in indy should they trade maning for cassel and lose their draft position at 12?

Step back, dude. Cutler isn't anywhere near the level of Manning or Elway.

He might be one day, but he isn't there yet.

honz
03-01-2009, 12:57 PM

I said I don't agree with it, but obviously McDaniels thought that Cassel could be the face of the franchise and help us win games...whether he was right or wrong. Cutler is really just another QB to him. He's not his prize draft choice or supposed franchise QB. McDaniels was brought here to win games, not coddle to the fans' wishes.

Again, I would have been pissed had we traded Cutler, but just trying to bring another perspective.

claymore
03-01-2009, 12:59 PM

He is imo the best young QB in the league though.

elsid13
03-01-2009, 01:00 PM

Part of the reason Denver was the NFL job was because of Cutler and offense. IF McKid didn't want that pressure working with him, why take the job??? He could have gone to KC, STL,Cleveland. McKid hasn't even seen Culter on the field yet and trying to trade him away.

BroncoJoe
03-01-2009, 01:02 PM
He is imo the best young QB in the league though.

Agreed, but he has yet to give us a winning season.

P.S. Why are you in invisible mode?

tubby
03-01-2009, 01:06 PM

Maybe you do when you miss the playoffs 3 years in a row?

Mike
03-01-2009, 01:08 PM

Yeah, Pro Bowl level talent certainly screams that it is the position that needs to be addressed, right? :confused:

Gamechanger
03-01-2009, 01:11 PM
Cutler needs a vote of confidence from the front office

I know you can't base a team on a rookie HC, but i've already penciled in McDaniels as another former Pats co-ordinator failure with this bonehead move.

tubby
Yeah, Pro Bowl level talent certainly screams that it is the position that needs to be addressed, right? :confused:

I wouldn't say that but I don't think trading him is completely out of the question.

tomjonesrocks
It would be nice if this rumor were true, because it means we only have one idiot in the organization instead of two.

BigCurly1230

If we had a defense the past 3 years we would have made the playoffs
Cutler has only gotten better these past 3 years

tomjonesrocks
03-01-2009, 01:21 PM
Part of the reason Denver was the NFL job was because of Cutler and offense. IF McKid didn't want that pressure working with him, why take the job??? He could have gone to KC, STL,Cleveland. McKid hasn't even seen Culter on the field yet and trying to trade him away.

I've wondered the same thing. If McDaniels didn't think much of Cutler, than why even take this job? I thought the franchise QB along with franchise LT was what made this job appealing. If you're not in agreement there, than who even wants to get near this defense?

One could only speculate the relationship between Cutler and McDaniels hasn't been all that great, so when McDaniels had an opportunity to rid himself of that headache he tried to take it.

I don't really know where you go from here though. I'd agree with others that you have to take a hard look at firing McDaniels but I don't believe they could even do that as I'm sure he'd get to keep his contract. I have no memory of any coach getting hired and fired before they have a chance to coach a game. I can't remember a new coach screwing up this badly right now either.

More likely scenario is Cutler gets traded anyway now later for a package that is half the value he's worth. Ugh, this makes me sick.

Northman
03-01-2009, 01:26 PM
Someone mentioned it elsewhere about the Pats possibly being the leak.

DID BUCS’ OFFER COME TOO LATE?
Posted by Mike Florio on March 1, 2009, 1:17 p.m.

ESPN’s Chris Mortensen has reported, with excellent elaboration via ESPN.com’s Tim Graham, that the Buccaneers offered a first-round and a third-round pick for quarterback Matt Cassel as part of the menage-a-trade that would have sent quarterback Matt Cassel to the Broncos and quarterback Jay Cutler to Tampa.

So why did the Pats pass?

A reader has shared with us this nugget from Michael Felger of WEEI. Put simply, the Bucs arrived at the party too late (and possibly with a cinnamon bobka).

If that’s the case, then it all makes sense.

But Mort says (via Graham) that the Broncos were willing to give up their own first-round pick — No. 12 overall in the draft — for Cassel. Under those circumstances, why didn’t Belichick bite?

We agree with Mortensen’s suggestion that Belichick would be less willing to help a former assistant coach than to help the front-office guy who helped set the table for those three Super Bowl victories in four year.

Mort also suggests that the Pats leaked word of the Broncos’ effort to trade Cutler to the Boston Globe as a way to mess with the Broncos.

Um, wow.

We only wish that the Broncos and Pats played each other twice per year. As a consolation, the Broncos and Chiefs still do.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/...come-too-late/

honz
03-01-2009, 01:28 PM

Wouldn't surprise me.

BigCurly1230
03-01-2009, 01:29 PM
I've wondered the same thing. If McDaniels didn't think much of Cutler, than why even take this job? I thought the franchise QB along with franchise LT was what made this job appealing. If you're not in agreement there, than who even wants to get near this defense?

One could only speculate the relationship between Cutler and McDaniels hasn't been all that great, so when McDaniels had an opportunity to rid himself of that headache he tried to take it.

I don't really know where you go from here though. I'd agree with others that you have to take a hard look at firing McDaniels but I don't believe they could even do that as I'm sure he'd get to keep his contract. I have no memory of any coach getting hired and fired before they have a chance to coach a game. I can't remember a new coach screwing up this badly right now either.

More likely scenario is Cutler gets traded anyway now later for a package that is half the value he's worth. Ugh, this makes me sick.

Does the "Lemon Law" not cover us?
:D

shank
03-01-2009, 01:31 PM

if that's true, then
1) wtf is bill's problem?
2) it doesn't change or solve a single thing in denver.

BeefStew25
03-01-2009, 01:32 PM
Can someone photoshop a pic of Belechick bending Josh over?

claymore
03-01-2009, 01:35 PM
I dont believe any of this anymore. I think Bellicheat caused it all. No one in the NFL is dumb enough to trade Jay Cutler, and the #12 overall pick for Matt Freaking Cassel.

There is sabotage afoot... And I think KC and the pats are more than happy to cause it.

Northman
03-01-2009, 01:35 PM
if that's true, then

I just think that if its true about Billy than it goes back to the whole Mangini thing. I mean, lets be real here. Mangini is the reason why doubt has been cast on Billy's career now as a SB HC now and i dont think Billy is really that happy about helping out another former asst. coach. The Broncos have pretty much owned the Patriots throughout the years and i dont think Billy would be that excited to see Cassell on the other side when they do meet. Could be a bunch of nothing but i wouldnt be that surprised if Billy didnt try to hijack McDaniel's here.

elsid13
03-01-2009, 01:37 PM
if that's true, then

Let see, he was attempting to sweeten the deal from KC and he had the ability to mess with franchise that has potential to be threat to him sooner then later.

shank
03-01-2009, 01:44 PM
I dont believe any of this anymore. I think Bellicheat caused it all. No one in the NFL is dumb enough to trade Jay Cutler, and the #12 overall pick for Matt Freaking Cassel.

There is sabotage afoot... And I think KC and the pats are more than happy to cause it.

how easy would it be for McD to publicly state how absurd it would be to trade cutler for cassell and a (devalued) 3rd round pick? put an end to this damned thing.

Traveler
03-01-2009, 01:53 PM
how easy would it be for McD to publicly state how absurd it would be to trade cutler for cassell and a (devalued) 3rd round pick? Put an end to this damned thing.

That's what I'm waiting for. Why hasn't anyone from the FO been in front of the cameras putting the farce to rest?

That should have been the number one agenda this morning, yet there is still nothing but silence.

atwater27
03-01-2009, 01:58 PM
I got a simple lesson for McD. .... If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

BigCurly1230
03-01-2009, 01:58 PM
That's what I'm waiting for. Why hasn't anyone from the FO been in front of the cameras putting the farce to rest?

That should have been the number one agenda this morning, yet there is still nothing but silence.

Totally agree!

Hopefully Pat Bowlen is busy getting the facts straight with the front office ...

and not the mastermind behind this whole thing.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-01-2009, 02:00 PM

Exactly - almost makes you believe there really was something to it :tsk:

elsid13
03-01-2009, 02:08 PM

No then went to Patriot media lockdown mode. Which give you indication they are either trying to figure how to spin the right way, or they working on trading Cutler and don't want to talk about it.

Traveler
03-01-2009, 02:15 PM
No then went to Patriot media lockdown mode. Which give you indication they are either trying to figure how to spin the right way, or they working on trading Cutler and don't want to talk about it.

Not a big leap by any part of the imagination. How do/can they squash this to make things right with the players and fan base? It'll be interesting to follow this drama in the coming days, weeks, and months ahead.

atwater27
03-01-2009, 02:18 PM

I think they will trade him now. The coach is too young and inexperienced to be able to smooth things over with a guy that could be his brother. And he is probably ego-driven enough to not even want to have a QB on his team that isn't kissing his ass. Not Cutler's style.

tomjonesrocks
03-01-2009, 02:25 PM
I agree -- the silence speaks volumes.

Hard not to come to any conclusion other than the Broncos are still trying to trade Cutler.

If he were not still being shopped we should have heard more.

56crash
03-01-2009, 02:35 PM

Understand ? A player that is franchised cost bucks !!!!!!!!!!!!! Players on rookie contracts play cheep . Spend the money on fire eyed defensive players .

56crash
03-01-2009, 02:40 PM
I got a simple lesson for McD. .... If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Go watch the clip of Jammie Dukes talking to Marshal ...lol

Memo to the front office "Don't touch the offense"

SmilinAssasSin27
03-01-2009, 02:48 PM
I don't think we trade Cutty, but if we did...now is the time and Detroit is the partner. They have 2 #1s and would likely be willing to toss in a 3rd or sumthin next year as well. Cutty still has 3 yeas left w/ us, so we CAN jack up the price. When he becomes a FA, we'd be royally screwed if the relationship isn't mended.

tubby
03-01-2009, 02:50 PM
If we had a defense the past 3 years we would have made the playoffs
Cutler has only gotten better these past 3 years

There is room for improvement on the 16th ranked scoring offense too.

That's debatable. He sure threw a lot of picks last year. Maybe he has plateaud?

tomjonesrocks
03-01-2009, 03:04 PM
I don't think we trade Cutty, but if we did...now is the time and Detroit is the partner. They have 2 #1s and would likely be willing to toss in a 3rd or sumthin next year as well. Cutty still has 3 yeas left w/ us, so we CAN jack up the price. When he becomes a FA, we'd be royally screwed if the relationship isn't mended.

I don't know why we'd worry about years down the road. We would just slap a franchise tag on Cutler and that would be that. 2 #1s is better than we'll receive right now.

Lonestar
03-01-2009, 03:05 PM
another hissy thread on cutler.. must be the iff season..

BigCurly1230
03-01-2009, 03:05 PM
There is room for improvement on the 16th ranked scoring offense too.

That's debatable. He sure threw a lot of picks last year. Maybe he has plateaud?

Plateau in his third year? 2nd as a full time starter? That's not likely

Year G Att Com Pct Att/G Yds AvgYds/G TD Int
2008 16 616 384 62.3 38.5 4,526 7.3 282.9 25 18
2007 16 467 297 63.6 29.2 3,497 7.5 218.6 20 14
2006 5 137 81 59.1 27.4 1,001 7.3 200.2 9 5
Totals 37 1,220 762 62.5 33.0 9,024 7.4 243.9 54 37

Stats don't lie.

Sure there are better QBs out there......

But I guarantee you.....

Matt Cassel is not one of them!

dogfish
03-01-2009, 03:09 PM
if this is true, good for xanders-- i hope he punched that little bitch doogie in his mouth for good measure after he told him it wasn't happening. . . .

tubby
03-01-2009, 03:10 PM
Plateau in his third year? 2nd as a full time starter? That's not likely

Year G Att Com Pct Att/G Yds AvgYds/G TD Int
2008 16 616 384 62.3 38.5 4,526 7.3 282.9 25 18
2007 16 467 297 63.6 29.2 3,497 7.5 218.6 20 14
2006 5 137 81 59.1 27.4 1,001 7.3 200.2 9 5
Totals 37 1,220 762 62.5 33.0 9,024 7.4 243.9 54 37

Stats don't lie.

Sure there are better QBs out there......

But I guarantee you.....

Matt Cassel is not one of them!

So why did his QB rating go down?

BeefStew25
03-01-2009, 03:11 PM

God you are stubborn.

tubby
03-01-2009, 03:14 PM
What? I find the notion that Cutler has arrived quite disturbing.

He has a big arm. BFD

BeefStew25
03-01-2009, 03:16 PM
What? I find the notion that Cutler has arrived quite disturbing.

He has a big arm. BFD

You fail to see why having a decent defense matters. The more throws, the more chance for bad things to happen.

Greatspirits
03-01-2009, 03:19 PM
I still think Jay needs to grow up! To be honest with you he hasn't proved anything in this league. He as all the talent in the world but he hasn't proved he can win big games. He needs to quit worrying about getting his feellings hurt and concentrate on being a better all-around quarterback. He's starting to sound, and play, more and more like Jeff George everyday.

Davii
03-01-2009, 03:22 PM
Fire McDaniels. Now.

dogfish
03-01-2009, 03:29 PM
really, this is pretty much SOP with bellyache assistants-- i guess we should have expected it. . . none of the guys that have come from his so-called coaching tree have any kind of people skills. . . they all want to act like they're belly himself, and they have the exact same arrogance and disdain for the rules and procedures that their peers more or less follow. . . they feel that they're above the rules, they don't have to answer to anyone or communicate with anyone, and they can just send their dictates down from on high. . .

when mangini went to new york he alienated pete kendall so badly that he forced his way out of town with a nasty and very public holdout. . . and over the past year both chris baker and laveranues coles have bitched about being lied to about contract extensions. . . kellen winslow talked his way out of cleveland after the FO and/or coaching staff tried to get him to cover the fact that he'd gotten a staph infection, and then threatened to suspend him when he revealed it to the media. . . charlie weiss is such a dick that pro scouts hate going to notre dame. . . and what's the FIRST damn thing mangina did when he got to cleveland? managed to piss off his best player, shaun rogers, so badly that he started demanding a trade. . . hmmmm, that sounds familiar, doesn't it?

scott pioli is already taking a similar high-handed approach with a proven vet in KC:

Jason Whitlock, of The Kansas City Star, reports Kansas City Chiefs OG Brian Waters has told the team he would like to be released or traded. The four-time Pro Bowl guard is "shocked and offended" by the reactions of new head coach Todd Haley and first-time general manager Scott Pioli. According to sources, Pioli told Waters that he had no interest in meeting with the veteran. Haley reportedly told Waters the team would not accommodate his desire to defect and that 22 players off the street could win two games, in reference to Waters' worth with the Chiefs from their 2-14 2008 season.

with the possible exception of tom dimitroff in ATL, pretty much every coach or exec that has come from new england is a major asshat, and it looks like doogie may be cut from the same cloth. . . these punks need to step back and realize that they aren't bill b, and they don't have any super bowl rings except the ones he got them. . . . he can get away with acting the way he does because he's proven himself and earned the respect-- none of these guys have earned shit yet. . . IMO, teams really need to evaluate more carefully whether it's worth taking an assistant from belly's staff. . . .

Davii
03-01-2009, 03:29 PM

Agreed. But Cassel isn't Manning or Elway either. I'd make the argument that Jay is a LOT closer to "one day" than Matt Cassel is.

Hell, Cassel might be Jay Cutler one day, but he isn't there yet.

Lonestar
03-01-2009, 03:30 PM
Fire McDaniels. Now.

Yep getting rid of his little brother might do the trick..:laugh:

tomjonesrocks
03-01-2009, 03:32 PM
Fire McDaniels. Now.

Axing McDaniels and bringing in a temporary interim coach for a year and then going with Cowher sounds great to me at this point. As well.

Damn reality though...I assume all of McDaniels money is guaranteed so then we're paying 2 HCs to sit at home along with the Goodmans and Slowik. Sounds great for Bowlen, doesn't it?

We haven't even heard Bowlen wasn't on board with all this. I figure Cutler's as good as gone unless we start hearing something difinitive out of the FO.

Magnificent Seven
03-01-2009, 03:32 PM
I think McDaniels don't know Cutler well. He paid attention too much on Cassel and did not have a chance to look on other QBs. I guess McDaniels is addicted with Cassel and he didn't realize how good Cutler is. Alternatively, He didn't want Cutler due to his diabetes situation? Looks like McDaniels don’t' want Cutler.

BigCurly1230
03-01-2009, 03:43 PM

I agree with you that the 16th ranked scoring offense could be improved on.
However....
With 149 more Attempts and his QB rating virtually unchanged....
How are you going to argue that?
If you want to argue that....you might as well consider it could have been the play calling

PatricktheDookie
03-01-2009, 03:45 PM
You guys who live in Denver...

Egg his house or something, please.

TXBRONC
03-01-2009, 03:56 PM

No one said he was, but is Matt Cassel Manning or Elway. But then again when did Matt Cassel become Manning or Elway?

omac
03-01-2009, 03:58 PM
if this is true, good for xanders-- i hope he punched that little bitch doogie in his mouth for good measure after he told him it wasn't happening. . . .

I've stopped calling him Doogie after this. Right now, he doesn't deserve the nickname. :tsk:

Davii
03-01-2009, 03:59 PM
If the relationship cannot be mended, mark it down, McDaniels will be out of Denver before Jay is.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-01-2009, 04:00 PM
You guys who live in Denver...

Egg his house or something, please.

Hey - it appears that he is so tied to the Pats hip, he probably still lives back there, and commutes to Denver :tsk:

Tned
03-01-2009, 04:03 PM
If the relationship cannot be mended, mark it down, McDaniels will be out of Denver before Jay is.

Bowlen said something like "Jay is the franchise" or something like that when firing Shanahan.

elsid13
03-01-2009, 04:04 PM
Bowlen said something like "Jay is the franchise" or something like that when firing Shanahan.

Bowlen also said that Goodman was his GM.

dogfish
03-01-2009, 04:06 PM
I've stopped calling him Doogie after this. Right now, he doesn't deserve the nickname. :tsk:

the filter won't let me post what i'd like to call him. . . . :tsk:

i hope to hell you're right about that, but right now the silence from dove valley is deafening. . . .

omac
03-01-2009, 04:09 PM

I was thinking the same thing. And since Shanny still had kind words for Pat even after the firing, it wouldn't be a stretch for Pat to take Shanny back. That way, we'd still have only 1 head coach on the payroll not working for us.

omac
03-01-2009, 04:11 PM
Bowlen also said that Goodman was his GM.

... and implied that Shanny would be the Broncos coach for life.

BigCurly1230
03-01-2009, 04:13 PM

I still have it tivoed!

Lets hope Pat is a man of his word on the Jay comment....

obviously he didn't follow through with the Goodman comment

claymore
03-01-2009, 04:27 PM

:wickedburn:

BroncoWave
03-01-2009, 04:31 PM
I was thinking the same thing. And since Shanny still had kind words for Pat even after the firing, it wouldn't be a stretch for Pat to take Shanny back. That way, we'd still have only 1 head coach on the payroll not working for us.

Hah, that would be straight out of Friday Night Lights (the TV show). Except in this case it would be a terrible move but it would be interesting to see how the fanbase reacted to that.

TXBRONC
03-01-2009, 04:44 PM

I remember when Bowlen was just getting underway with looking for a new head coach it was speculated that he would look for a young innovative offensive minded coach, for the purpose of further developing Cutler and the offense he would inherit. If that's the case, this would be a far cry from what Bowlen had in mind.

omac
03-01-2009, 04:54 PM
Hah, that would be straight out of Friday Night Lights (the TV show). Except in this case it would be a terrible move but it would be interesting to see how the fanbase reacted to that.

Hehe, used to watch that show; some cute chicks there.

It would be a terrible move, but not worse than trading away your franchise QB cheap for a potential one-year-wonder, who most of the league isn't that interested in (only McDaniels and KC were interested). If your coach really is that stupid, or stupidly naive, then you need to try to stop the bleeding.

turftoad
03-01-2009, 05:04 PM
Hey - it appears that he is so tied to the Pats hip, he probably still lives back there, and commutes to Denver :tsk:

I agree Carol.

He needs to get that tatoo of a Pats logo removed from his ass and replace it with an Orange & Blue one.

We are not the Pats. We're the Bronco's.

Bozo, McKid needs to learn that. :tsk:

dogfish
03-01-2009, 05:19 PM
I agree Carol.

He needs to get that tatoo of a Pats logo removed from his ass and replace it with an Orange & Blue one.

i saw a post on the mane yesterday asking if he was going to trade clady for matt light. . . . :lol:

:frusty:

honz
03-01-2009, 05:24 PM
We signed 2 Eagles players too. Maybe Mc(enter something funny here) should go coach the Eagles.

Drill-N-Fill
03-01-2009, 05:25 PM
One for one deal w/o draft picks? What does McKid think, Patriots shit don't stink?
Xanders might have saved the franchise a 3-5 years drop.

Cassell is overhyped, and he will be Scott Mitchellish in the upcoming years.

elsid13
03-01-2009, 06:09 PM
Montrose source is now reporting that Marshall and Scheffer are beyond pissed. Marshall actually went off cursing because he felt that he lied to and he been McKid biggest advocate of the three.

dogfish
03-01-2009, 06:16 PM
Montrose source is now reporting that Marshall and Scheffer are beyond pissed. Marshall actually went off cursing because he felt that he lied to and he been McKid biggest advocate of the three.

who is montrose?

in any case, if that's true, it's hardly surprising. . . . i'm continuing to wonder how pat bowlen feels about all of this. . . . for the people that are saying it's just media hype that won't amount to anything, i most certainly hope you're right, but if we get a reputation for treating our best players poorly it's ABSOLUTELY capable of impacting not only our ability to retain our current talent, but also our desirability as a FA destination. . .

elsid13
03-01-2009, 06:24 PM
who is montrose?

in any case, if that's true, it's hardly surprising. . . . i'm continuing to wonder how pat bowlen feels about all of this. . . . for the people that are saying it's just media hype that won't amount to anything, i most certainly hope you're right, but if we get a reputation for treating our best players poorly it's ABSOLUTELY capable of impacting not only our ability to retain our current talent, but also our desirability as a FA destination. . .

Poster on mane. he has some decent contacts in local media and football folks that used to/work at Dove Valley. I posted this because he has proven more correct then not in the past. If Wabbit (very very very good source post) I will pass it along. Wabbit knows inside story, he told me that Shanahan was on his way out a week before it happened.

elsid13
03-01-2009, 06:26 PM
More information Cutler is meeting with coaches and front office today after Ward leave the building.

G_Money
03-01-2009, 06:27 PM
Montrose is good people with reliable info. He has his head on straight, he's not the sort to fan flames just for the heck of it.

If he's dumping gas on a fire, there's at least some gas to be dumped.

~G

BigCurly1230
03-01-2009, 06:37 PM
I posted this earlier in the "cutler responds to trade talks" thread
WOW.....

I thought this stuff was going to start dying down today....however I was wrong.

Minnesota radio is reporting trade talks are still going on involving the Vikes and Cutty.

Said they are offering TJack, Chester Taylor and a 2nd round draft pick for Cutler
Don't know who saw it.....thought I would post it in here.

My buddy is a huge vikings fan and he spoke to his source about the rumor.
(his source also confirmed the j. allen deal 2 weeks in advanced, and the smoot deal before it happened )
The source confirmed this being true....the vikings are trying everything they can to get Cutler.

Well my buddy just called me again.....
Don't know if anyone has been following Tj Housh. but he is in Winter Park (Vikings HQs working on a deal)
TJ has been saying for the past couple of days that he would announce tonight who he is signing with.

For some strange reason he is delaying the announcement.

The source claims they already agreed on numbers (something like 3 years 31 million)
but he is not completely sold on Sage Rosenfelds....
He wants Cutler

Watchthemiddle
03-01-2009, 06:38 PM
I agree Carol.

Any coach that was successful at a former team and is now the new HC of a different team tries to incorporate the system that worked for them for their previous team. There is no question the Pats offense has been highly successful over the past years so it should be no surprise to anyone that Mcd wants to incorporate his system here in Denver with the players he thinks will succeed in it.

slim
03-01-2009, 06:41 PM
Well, if they trade Cutty for Jackson then I don't think I can be a fan anymore. Jackson was benched for Gus...fyi.

So, in summary, either you are full of it, or...well, no or...that is all.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-01-2009, 06:41 PM
This is absolutely meaningless, but...

I was talking to my dad who is a Lions fans and he said he'd have no issue w/ giving us Detroit's first 3 picks for Cutler. He'd toss in a #3 in 2010 to add Scheffler.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-01-2009, 06:42 PM
Well, if they trade Cutty for Jackson then I don't think I can be a fan anymore. Jackson was benched for Gus...fyi.

He doesn't have to be full of it. It MAY be the offer. He never said we are agreeing to such a terrible deal.

slim
03-01-2009, 06:43 PM
He doesn't have to be full of it. It MAY be the offer. He never said we are agreeing to such a terrible deal.

Well, in that case.

I would like to offer you my next stool for your home.

Please let me know if that is agreeable.

Lonestar
03-01-2009, 06:44 PM
Any coach that was successful at a former team and is now the new HC of a different team tries to incorporate the system that worked for them for their previous team. There is no question the Pats offense has been highly successful over the past years so it should be no surprise to anyone that Mcd wants to incorporate his system here in Denver with the players he thinks will succeed in it.

Great post best of the thread

Anyone that thinks otherwise it beyond dumb..

mikey did not keep reeves/dummies personnel or system he kept the players worth keeping and installed his scheme in place.

I has worked in NE since craft bought the team and they have 3 Lombardi's since 2000 to prove it..

SmilinAssasSin27
03-01-2009, 06:44 PM
Well, in that case.

I would like to offer you my next stool for your home.

Please let me know if that is agreeable.

How many entry doors?

Watchthemiddle
03-01-2009, 06:46 PM
At this point in the drama, I think it would be best to cut our ties and get as much as we can for Cutler. Obviously, he is going to hold a serious chip and grudge on his shoulder no matter what anyone says to him. If it means the Lions first 3 picks then so be it. We could turn those 3 into 5 and go out and get Kurt Warner to be our QB.

BigCurly1230
03-01-2009, 06:46 PM

I never said we are going to accept that deal!

We would have to be stupid to accept that deal!

I'm just passing along the information that I receive .....the trade talks have been on Minnesota sports radio today.

G_Money
03-01-2009, 06:56 PM
Great post best of the thread

Anyone that thinks otherwise it beyond dumb..

mikey did not keep reeves/dummies personnel or system he kept the players worth keeping and installed his scheme in place.

I has worked in NE since craft bought the team and they have 3 Lombardi's since 2000 to prove it..

Uh huh. And without tripping over Brady on their roster, how many do they win with Bledsoe as QB?

The roundabout guess is zero.

So then you just have to figure out whether Cutler is Brady or Bledsoe, and if Cassel is capable of even being either. I know where I stand on that issue.

If you don't think Cutler is worth keeping, then you might as well start from scratch with everybody. Fire Marshall and Scheffler and...oh, wait, we still look like we're working up to that. :coffee:

~G

Northman
03-01-2009, 07:00 PM
bwhahahahhaha, oh my.

JR and WTM's post are priceless. Talk about holding grudges. hahahahahaaa!

bcbronc
03-01-2009, 07:07 PM

I sure hope not. as distasteful as this situation is at this point, I'd still hope Bowlen has enough faith in his hiring process to let his football people do the football stuff. I don't want Al Davis V2.0.

and I'd pretty much guantee that McD wasn't trying to offer up Cutler and the #12 for Cassel. it doesn't fit the three-team deal, unless there was going to be a shuffle of some other first rounders.

but even if he was, it just validates Pat's move of splitting the power.

as for moving Cutler at all, if McDaniels doesn't think Cutler is the right guy to run his offense, then it makes sense to move him. neither Brady nor Cassel are big-arm qbs, but they are good decision makers. to some degree, that's the opposite of Jay. I want Cutler to stay and be the qb of the Denver Broncos. but more than that, I want the Denver Broncos to be Superbowl champs. If McDaniels feels we get there quicker with someone other than Cutler--well those are the decisions McDaniels gets paid to make.

It would be a hell of a balsy move. If that's the decision he makes, it better work out.

TXBRONC
03-01-2009, 07:47 PM
who is montrose?

I was watching NFLN and they just got done with a segment on this fiasco. Schefter says the Broncos maintain that they were not trying to shop Cutler. Schefter also says this is McDaniels showing he's in charger and him putting his stamp on this team. Some of it depends on whether or McDaniels initiated the exercise in futility.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-01-2009, 07:50 PM
Looks like Bowlen may have initiated the exercise in futility. Damn...we should have hired lex's boyfriend.

dogfish
03-01-2009, 07:53 PM
I was watching NFLN and they just got done with a segment on this fiasco. Schefter says the Broncos maintain that they were not trying to shop Cutler. Schefter also says this is McDaniels showing he's in charger and him putting his stamp on this team. Some of it depends on whether or McDaniels initiated the exercise in futility.

yea, he's really putting his stamp on the team, alright. . . .

hey dumbass, you're doing it wrong!!

fcspikeit
03-01-2009, 09:09 PM
I sure hope not. as distasteful as this situation is at this point, I'd still hope Bowlen has enough faith in his hiring process to let his football people do the football stuff. I don't want Al Davis V2.0.

and I'd pretty much guantee that McD wasn't trying to offer up Cutler and the #12 for Cassel. it doesn't fit the three-team deal, unless there was going to be a shuffle of some other first rounders.

but even if he was, it just validates Pat's move of splitting the power.

as for moving Cutler at all, if McDaniels doesn't think Cutler is the right guy to run his offense, then it makes sense to move him. neither Brady nor Cassel are big-arm qbs, but they are good decision makers. to some degree, that's the opposite of Jay. I want Cutler to stay and be the qb of the Denver Broncos. but more than that, I want the Denver Broncos to be Superbowl champs. If McDaniels feels we get there quicker with someone other than Cutler--well those are the decisions McDaniels gets paid to make.

It would be a hell of a balsy move. If that's the decision he makes, it better work out.

Even if he can be forgiven for wanting Cassel over Cutler, he handled it wrong.. He should have been in the open with Cutler about his plans to get Cassel.. Cutler would have been traded without even seeing it coming. This isn't Survivor where blindsides are to be expected.

How can he expect to have a great relationship with the team if he isn't being honest with them? Would you want to play for someone like that?

When it's time for a new deal should Cutler get all he can or try and work with Denver to stay with them? Beings he was the second option and treaded like an outsider I wouldn't blame him if he went for all he could get.

This makes the entire origination look bad. Do we want to be known as a shady team? Bowlen needs to somehow try and fix this, release a statement, something.. I don't care, I would rather him look like a players owner then a shady owner who doesn't care what the players have done for him..

MOtorboat
03-01-2009, 09:12 PM
Even if he can be forgiven for wanting Cassel over Cutler, he handled it wrong.. He should have been in the open with Cutler about his plans to get Cassel.. Cutler would have been traded without even seeing it coming. This is Survivor where blindsides are to be expected.

And...WTF cares...Cutler is an absolute drama queen. And the fact that we might have had a first, a third, and a quarterback doesn't mean that McDaniels thinks Cassel is BETTER than Cutler, just that he thinks the trade was better for the team.

He was wrong. Xanders nixed the trade, and its time for the drama queens to shut the **** up. Including Cutler.

MOtorboat
03-01-2009, 09:13 PM
Schefter says the Broncos maintain that they were not trying to shop Cutler.

How many times do reporters/broncos front office have to state this until people believe its true?

Jay Cutler is an absolute drama queen.

TXBRONC
03-01-2009, 09:17 PM
How many times do reporters/broncos front office have to state this until people believe its true?

Jay Cutler is an absolute drama queen.

I didn't say I believed him, and I don't think Cutler is being a drama queen in this instance.

MOtorboat
03-01-2009, 09:22 PM
I didn't say I believed him, and I don't think Cutler is being a drama queen in this instance.

How is he not?

We now have four instances of the Broncos denying anything but other teams inquiring, and that he won't be traded, and he continues to spout his mouth, and people continue to over-react.

We even have his AGENT on record saying that the team didn't intend to trade him, and yet, we still have the over-reaction.

Cutler is running his mouth, just as he's done in the past.

spikerman
03-01-2009, 09:42 PM
I think the Broncos owe the fan base an explanation as to what's going on, but in typical fashion (at least lately) the Broncos don't really care much about what the fans want. This quote sums it up.... "A Broncos spokesman told The AP on Sunday that neither McDaniels, newly promoted general manager Brian Xanders nor team owner Pat Bowlen would have anything else to say publicly about the matter." :tsk:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3944555

MOtorboat
03-01-2009, 09:45 PM
I think the Broncos owe the fan base an explanation as to what's going on, but in typical fashion (at least lately) the Broncos don't really care much about what the fans want. This quote sums it up.... "A Broncos spokesman told The AP on Sunday that neither McDaniels, newly promoted general manager Brian Xanders nor team owner Pat Bowlen would have anything else to say publicly about the matter." :tsk:

Why? There is no situation. The Bucs and Lions called about Cutler. The Broncos said no.

There is no explanation!

Watchthemiddle
03-01-2009, 09:45 PM

DUH!!!

This is the kind of Drama QUeen stuff that keeps this thing going :rolleyes:

Its like beating a dead horse.:deadhorse:..kind of like these Cutler threads...

How many more times do they need to say it was never their intention to trade Cutler and they were the ones approached by the other teams? What else is there to say?

spikerman
03-01-2009, 09:59 PM
Why? There is no situation. The Bucs and Lions called about Cutler. The Broncos said no.

There is no explanation!

Depends on who you ask. Sounds to me like Cutler believes there was more to it.

omac
03-01-2009, 10:00 PM
DUH!!!

How many more times do they need to say it was never their intention to trade Cutler and they were the ones approached by the other teams? What else is there to say?

This is going around and around, because you like to believe the PR from the front office, while others are willing to give weight to the other events in this circumstance: the buzz around different teams in the league, including the Lions; how Jay's agent was cut off from communications when this was happening; how they initially wouldn't say if Jay would continue to be with the Broncos. Now that it's exploded, ofcourse they'd do damage control.

You believe Jay is a drama queen for feeling betrayed; I think it's a natural reaction, since all this was being done behind his back, while he was openly building a QB-coach relationship with McDaniels.

Now you have your views and your beliefs, and your biases, as we all do. That should about sum it up. :cheers:

spikerman
03-01-2009, 10:01 PM
DUH!!!

Well, they could make a public statement clarifying what went on. Oh, and as for the "drama queen" comment (if I'm the "drama queen")... take a look at how many other posts I've made on this subject.

MOtorboat
03-01-2009, 10:01 PM
Depends on who you ask. Sounds to me like Cutler believes there was more to it.

Starting to look more and more like Cutler overreacted, eh?

spikerman
03-01-2009, 10:06 PM
Starting to look more and more like Cutler overreacted, eh?
And his agent? There are other sources out there who say that the Broncos were actively shopping him.

Lonestar
03-01-2009, 10:08 PM
And his agent? There are other sources out there who say that the Broncos were actively shopping him.

his agent makes out in a trade as most likely he gets a new contract.. so being an ass hat lawyer on % contingency what are you going to do but stir it up even more..

that is what they do..

MOtorboat
03-01-2009, 10:08 PM

His agent said he called the Broncos and they said they weren't going to trade him.

There is not ONE source saying he was actively being shopped. Not one.

Lonestar
03-01-2009, 10:09 PM
His agent said he called the Broncos and they said they weren't going to trade him.

well till he refused to meet with them now who knows for sure..:salute:

spikerman
03-01-2009, 10:21 PM

February 28, 2009 8:04 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Bill Williamson

The pressure is now on Josh McDaniels in Denver.

The events of Saturday could shape his career in Denver. Frankly, it's going to be challenging.

A source close to the situation confirmed the Broncos were trying to trade for New England quarterback Matt Cassel before he was traded to Kansas City. McDaniels was trying to trade Denver Pro Bowl quarterback Jay Cutler to Tampa Bay in a three-way deal that involved Cassel.
McDaniels apparently concluded that he would rather have Cassel than Cutler in Denver. Cassel starred under McDaniels in New England last season as an injury replacement for Tom Brady.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest

It may be bogus, but that's why the Broncos can't just seal the doors and not make a comment. That's going to fuel the rumors more than anything.

dunk7
03-01-2009, 10:22 PM

There is no explanation!

Don't pretend like you know exactly what happened. I'm sure none of us know the entire story, I remember reading or hearing that Jay had heard that he was being shopped.

MOtorboat
03-01-2009, 10:25 PM
Don't pretend like you know exactly what happened. I'm sure none of us know the entire story, I remember reading or hearing that Jay had heard that he was being shopped.

That's funny.

You tell me to "don't pretend like you know what exactly happened," when you're doing the exact same thing.

Quite hilarious.

But, go ahead...keep going...

dunk7
03-01-2009, 10:28 PM
That's funny.

You tell me to "don't pretend like you know what exactly happened," when you're doing the exact same thing.

Quite hilarious.

But, go ahead...keep going...

Well, I will support the broncos no matter if their coach is a tool or their QB is a drama queen. I guess I don't see the point of 20 posts saying "Jay is a drama queen. Fact."

MOtorboat
03-01-2009, 10:31 PM
Well, I will support the broncos no matter if their coach is a tool or their QB is a drama queen. I guess I don't see the point of 20 posts saying "Jay is a drama queen. Fact."

So, instead of supporting your post, you pull the "I'm a fan" crap...

Solid.

I don't know what happened for sure. You don't know what happened for sure, but don't call my fan-hood into question...that's just ******* retarded.

Either back up your statement, or disagree...doesn't really change the fact that Jay Cutler is being a drama queen.

dunk7
03-01-2009, 10:34 PM
So, instead of supporting your post, you pull the "I'm a fan" crap...

Solid.

I don't know what happened for sure. You don't know what happened for sure, but don't call my fan-hood into question...that's just ******* retarded.

Either back up your statement, or disagree...doesn't really change the fact that Jay Cutler is being a drama queen.

Make that 21 posts...and what is your point? Why don't you wait until the facts come out (if they ever do) before you spew. thanks

MOtorboat
03-01-2009, 10:35 PM
Make that 21 posts...and what is your point? Why don't you wait until the facts come out (if they ever do) before you spew. thanks

:confused:

Denver Native (Carol)
03-01-2009, 10:35 PM
I posted this on another thread, but very good discussion on this situation on NFL.com

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80f041dd

fcspikeit
03-01-2009, 11:47 PM
And...WTF cares...Cutler is an absolute drama queen. And the fact that we might have had a first, a third, and a quarterback doesn't mean that McDaniels thinks Cassel is BETTER than Cutler, just that he thinks the trade was better for the team.

He was wrong. Xanders nixed the trade, and its time for the drama queens to shut the **** up. Including Cutler.

Where are you getting these pick numbers from? No where does it say we were going to get an extra 1st and 3rd! The only report that even involved picks had us getting the Bucs 1st and 3rd, we then would have traded our 1st for Cassel. So all we would have been getting was an extra 3rd rounder. Most the reports only had us getting the Bucs 1st and us trading our 1st for Cassel. Therefore the trade would have been basically strait up.

How is he not?

We now have four instances of the Broncos denying anything but other teams inquiring, and that he won't be traded, and he continues to spout his mouth, and people continue to over-react.

We even have his AGENT on record saying that the team didn't intend to trade him, and yet, we still have the over-reaction.

Cutler is running his mouth, just as he's done in the past.

NO, his agent only said the team told him they had only received calls about trading him, then he went on to say they never told him they wasn't trying to trade him.. So stop making shit up!!

Its pretty much excepted by everyone who knows there ass from a hole in the ground that McDaniels tried to trade Cutler for Cassel. Shefter has said this time and time again.

He DID not say he believes McDaniels didn’t or doesn't still want to trade Cutler! All he really said today was that Cutler is not on the block because there is no one to trade him for who is worth getting..

Show me where McDaniels has said he wasn’t going to trade Cutler for Cassel.. He said, we’re not going to trade Cutler, maybe their not now but that in no way shape or form means he wasn’t going to trade Cutler to satisfy his man lust of Cassel..

atwater27
03-01-2009, 11:52 PM
P*wned

BeefStew25
03-01-2009, 11:54 PM
Man, Willow is starting to get really drunk.

omac
03-01-2009, 11:54 PM
I posted this on another thread, but very good discussion on this situation on NFL.com

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80f041dd

Nice post.

Basically, all 4 of those analysts believed McDaniels wanted Cassel for Cutler, and they all agreed it was a bad idea.

(edit) Watched it again. The Broncos wanted the other teams to trade for Cassel, so that they could trade Cutler for Cassel. No one disputed that. Now there supposedly aren't any viable options for Cutler to be traded, so he should remain as Denver's QB.

According to one, Jay Cutler has established himself as a franchise QB, much more so than Matt Cassel.

They all agreed that the way McDaniels handled the situation was terrible.

fcspikeit
03-02-2009, 01:24 AM
Nice post.

Basically, all 4 of those analysts believed McDaniels wanted Cassel for Cutler, and they all agreed it was a bad idea.

(edit) Watched it again. The Broncos wanted the other teams to trade for Cassel, so that they could trade Cutler for Cassel. No one disputed that. Now there supposedly aren't any viable options for Cutler to be traded, so he should remain as Denver's QB.

According to one, Jay Cutler has established himself as a franchise QB, much more so than Matt Cassel.

They all agreed that the way McDaniels handled the situation was terrible.

So in theory, we could still trade Cutler to the Chiefs for Cassel..

On NFL Total Access they said KC hasn’t worked out a long term deal with Cassel yet, they said normally that sort of thing is worked out before the trade is made.

I am beginning to wonder of the Chiefs didn’t rush the trade to keep Cassel away from McDaniels, then leaked all of this, knowing it might force McDaniels to trade Cutler even in our division for Cassel. Who knows, McDaniels might even give them a pick or 2 to get Cassel? Even if it was a strait up trade, the Chiefs would be getting Cutler for a 2nd rounder.. :shocked:

Pioli is pretty smart, I can see him doing this. :coffee: