PDA

View Full Version : Lesbians not allowed on XBox Live.

sneakers
03-01-2009, 02:20 AM
I don't blame Microsoft....it's bad enough that we have womens playing video games these days. :D

http://blog.wired.com/games/2009/02/xbox-live-bans.html

Xbox Live Bans Lesbian Gamer, Microsoft Apologizes

http://consumerist.com/assets/images/consumerist/2008/05/xbox494.jpg

The Xbox Live banning of a lesbian gamer who self-identified her sexuality created a huge furor on Thursday, prompting Microsoft to characterize its own banning policies as "inelegant."

After identifying herself as a homosexual in her Xbox Live profile, the woman was repeatedly harassed by other players, before Microsoft suspended her account, saying that other gamers found her lesbianism offensive.

Microsoft has confirmed that their policy bars "the expression of relationship preference in Gamertag profiles and tags, whether that's heterosexual or other," though Stephen Toulouse, Xbox Live program manager for policy and enforcement told MTV that Microsoft is "looking into that policy."

Though Microsoft was aware of the issue almost immediately following the internet outcry, Toulouse claims the company was unable to amend things for the woman due to the lack of details on the Consumerist post that first brought the problem to light.

The firm claims to be looking into a number of solutions for the relationship preference debacle, however Toulouse, in typically diplomatic fashion, says he "can't talk about future plans."

Shazam!
03-01-2009, 02:54 AM
Now the ACLU will get involved and they'll get sued. She'll lose because of the user agreement. Gaming not sexuality. Screw that ?!@#.

sneakers
03-01-2009, 03:02 AM
Now the ACLU will get involved and they'll get sued. She'll lose because of the user agreement. Gaming not sexuality. Screw that ?!@#.

Why doesn't she just use an accepted username, and stop trying to advertise to everyone that she is gay? Was she trying to advertise her gayness or just trying to play games? Why not just make a username based on someother hobby she has (I am sure there are other unique things about herself that she could use). I don't fault Microsoft at all here.

chazoe60
03-01-2009, 12:06 PM
Does this mean I can't use the name HeteroHaloHobbit? damn

Dr Velcro
03-01-2009, 12:26 PM
I don't blame Microsoft....it's bad enough that we have womens playing video games these days. :D

http://blog.wired.com/games/2009/02/xbox-live-bans.html

I'm going to throw down on you. And you are going to cry.

Northman
03-01-2009, 12:32 PM
Why doesn't she just use an accepted username, and stop trying to advertise to everyone that she is gay? Was she trying to advertise her gayness or just trying to play games? Why not just make a username based on someother hobby she has (I am sure there are other unique things about herself that she could use). I don't fault Microsoft at all here.

Agreed. There are platforms that you can use to show how proud you are to be gay or whatever. Playing video games isnt one of them especially when there are children involved.

Dr Velcro
03-01-2009, 12:34 PM
I don't care if a person is gay. I don't care to know. I'd rather them leave that crap off there. It's about video games and nothing more.

atwater27
03-01-2009, 01:21 PM
HA! Bulldyke Be Gone!

chazoe60
03-01-2009, 03:44 PM
What about SadoMasachistMaddenManLover? Or TrannyTombAssRaider?

NameUsedBefore
03-02-2009, 10:07 PM
Was it in her profile or screen name? All stories say profile, and I'm assuming that's just some crap you say about yourself that people have to go into to see, right? If so, would it be a stretch to say some have "I love my [wife/girlfriend/etc.]" in their own with no repercussions?

I'm sorry, but for an online system that maintains the highest density of racist dipshits I've ever heard, someone announcing they're gay in their profile doesn't affect me. "Oh my god, this person said they're a lesbian." Maybe if she said in a crude way then I can understand, but for the mere announcement? I'm calling bullshit.

Broncospsycho77
03-02-2009, 10:15 PM
Ha.

Girls don't play video games.

Good day.

Southstander RSM
03-05-2009, 01:56 AM
To be honest am very glad Microsoft dropped the hammer on her. I have my moral views on it, but this is not the place for it. If what she does in the privacy of her bed room is her business, then keep it there. If it is her CHOICE to make it public, she has to execpt the some will approve and others will disapprove. If we have the right to assembly, we also have the right to say who we do not want to associate with. As an American I have the right to free speech, but the Broncos forums have the right to ban me for my pencil comments. It goes both ways.

It is a chance she took, she needs to live with the fall out. I don't go around telling people that the I am a guy, and love women. What does that matter? I don't define myself by who I am attracted to. It is a shame that others do.

Dr Velcro
03-05-2009, 01:58 AM
I'm sorry, but all I see are the words "Lesbian" and "Box".

And I have to laugh.

Southstander RSM
03-05-2009, 02:01 AM
Giggity.

Dr Velcro
03-05-2009, 02:02 AM
Giggity.

Hi South. It's good to see you.

Do you know who I am?

Southstander RSM
03-05-2009, 02:31 AM
Little Bunny foo Foo Hoping through the forest.