PDA

View Full Version : Broncos over Patriots? It's not as crazy as it sounds

Denver Native (Carol)
01-13-2012, 06:44 PM
As expected, calls for my head and attacks on my mental stability came flooding in on Twitter and otherwise when my NFL.com prediction hit the Internet. And yeah, I realize I went out on a limb here, taking the Broncos over the Pats on the road, but is it really the craziest thought in the world?

Allow me to explain a bit:

1. Run Willis, run: We all remember the final score the first time these two teams played, but have you forgotten the way the Broncos ran the ball down the Pats' throats in the first half of that game? Until Denver started putting the ball on the ground and committing uncharacteristic turnovers, that was a ball game, folks. And on the road in a hostile environment, all the more reason to play physical, power football with plenty of read-options, attacking a defense that's struggled pretty much all season long. Denver can be dominant in the run game, and I believe it will be this weekend.

rest of article - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d825f3f3e/article/broncos-over-patriots-its-not-as-crazy-as-it-sounds?module=HP11_cp
By Jason La Canfora

BroncoJoe
01-13-2012, 06:47 PM
It was 16-7 near the end of the half. Within five minutes, it was 16-20.

Those three turnovers took us out of our rhythm and game plan and ultimately cost us the game. Plain and simple.

Magnificent Seven
01-13-2012, 06:50 PM

Those three turnovers took us out of our rhythm and game plan and ultimately cost us the game. Plain and simple.

We almost had them. We OWE them big time!

gatorpower
01-13-2012, 07:29 PM

That was the big swing, imo. The Patriots were reeling going into the 2nd quarter. You fumble the ball twice on your side of the field and muff a punt (with like less than 10 seconds until half, right?), we let them back into the game mentally and took ourselves out.

Then take out McGahee to an injury.

I really like the Broncos in this game. Seriously. The Patriots have ALLLLLLLLL the pressure. All the breaks are going their way on paper. They had an extra week, they have Josh, they won big, everyone is telling them its going to be a blow-out... All the pressure.... wouldn't surprise me if they came out playing really tight.

...but no one remembers how the Broncos had their foot on belichick's throat and then imploded.

Jsteve01
01-13-2012, 07:33 PM
I really like LaCanfora. Level headed in an industry dominated by hyperbole. Go Broncs

OrangeHoof
01-13-2012, 08:09 PM
It would be wonderful to see a final score of:

Patriots 3
Broncos 16

(get it?) but that lacks for drama and this score only happens if Brady suffers a major injury so my dream scenario goes like this:

In a heavy snow at Foxboro, the Patriots slog to a 14-0 lead going into the 4th quarter. Tebow is 3-for-16 passing for 60 yards.

The Pats are ready to go for the kill when Brady throws to the end zone for Aaron Hernandez when Champ Bailey steps in front and picks it off, intent on taking it to the house. Champ begins to run out of steam as he gets close to the goal line and collapses over the pylon as the ball comes free. After further review...TOUCHDOWN, BRONCOS!!! Patriot fans hurl abuse at the refs. But the new snapper causes a shanked extra-point attempt. Patriots still lead, 14-6.

With three minutes to go, a punt has pinned the Broncos back at their own two-yard line (sound familiar, "Drive" fans?). Tebow throws a screen pass back to Eddie Royal who can't hang on in the cold and snow. The Patriots fall on it in the end zone, signalling touchdown. But wait! Officials had blown their whistles claiming it was an incomplete pass not a backward lateral. Patriot fans howl in disgust but the call stands.

With new life and under a minute to go, Tebow hits Demaryius Thomas with a slant in pass and, before the Pats can wrap him up, Thomas laterals it back to Tebow who breaks seven tackles on his way to an 80-yard TOUCHDOWN, BRONCOS!!! But the two-point try fails and the Pats still cling to a 14-12 lead.

There's no other choice but to try an on-side kick and hope to recover. The Broncos use their final timeout as Tebow leads the entire team in prayer. Matt Prater lines up for the kick and the Pats have their "hands" team out there to receive the kick. Prater's kick bounces high in the air after travelling 12 yards, hits a Patriot in the helmet and then miraculously spins back into Prater's arms. Broncos ball at their own 40!

Tebow completes two quick sideline throws that gets the ball to the New England 42. On third and 10, Tebow fades back to throw, pumps the ball and is blindsided by a linebacker. The ball comes free. The Patriots recover. All New England celebrates as the clock shows :02 left.

But wait! The officials huddle then the play is reviewed. It's the T**** RULE!! Fans threaten to riot but the field is cleared. With the final ticks, Prater nails a 59-yard field goal into the snow, against the wind to win the game! FINAL SCORE: BRONCOS 15, PATRIOTS 14!!!

Tebow thanks his teammates and his Savior while Jim Nantz has a seizure and Phil Simms is stricken mute for five years. Broncos move on to play Houston on their way to the Super Bowl.

HORSEPOWER 56
01-13-2012, 09:26 PM
Honestly, all we need to do is get the damned game into overtime. If we do that, we win. The Broncos don't lose in overtime. Tebow, the offense, and Matt Prater LIVE for overtime.

So, go into overtime tied up 31-31, Denver wins 38-31. There you go. I predicted an overtime win over the Steelers last week (figured the score would be a little lower - I predicted 16-13). If we can force overtime, we're going to the AFCCG.

I'm pulling for Kubes and Houston to beat Baltimore, but honestly I REALLY WANT BALTIMORE! After all the shit that Suggs went out of his way to spew from his mush mouth when we weren't even close to playing them, I want the Ravens... badly. I think we could absolutely MURDER Joe Flacco and that offense. I want to see Suggs actually have to play vs Tebow after running his damned mouth. Everyone talks shit about Tebow until they play him. Beating NE this week would be awesome, but to me, there's no team I'd rather beat than the Ravens.

vettesplus
01-13-2012, 09:28 PM
slam me all you want, but BRONCOS 23 PATS 21....AND I AM STICKING TO THAT.....

chazoe60
01-13-2012, 09:36 PM
slam me all you want, but BRONCOS 23 PATS 21....AND I AM STICKING TO THAT.....
Holy shit! Vettes is picking the Broncos? If only we could get RC to show any signs of actually being a Bronco fan, it would be a pretty positive season for the MB.

Nomad
01-13-2012, 10:15 PM
Bills had the Pats 21-0 then Pats won 49-21 after half.

BRONCOS better bring their A++ game plus many prayers and hope Brady has a very bad game.

rcsodak
01-14-2012, 02:52 AM
Holy shit! Vettes is picking the Broncos? If only we could get RC to show any signs of actually being a Bronco fan, it would be a pretty positive season for the MB.
Brady & co are out to prove the last game was a farse. They'll come out in no-huddle, and put 21pts up so fast, your beer wont even be warm.

But it would be cool to have a Saints/Tebow SB.

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

I Eat Staples
01-14-2012, 03:10 AM
Honestly, all we need to do is get the damned game into overtime. If we do that, we win. The Broncos don't lose in overtime. Tebow, the offense, and Matt Prater LIVE for overtime.

So, go into overtime tied up 31-31, Denver wins 38-31. There you go. I predicted an overtime win over the Steelers last week (figured the score would be a little lower - I predicted 16-13). If we can force overtime, we're going to the AFCCG.

I'm pulling for Kubes and Houston to beat Baltimore, but honestly I REALLY WANT BALTIMORE! After all the shit that Suggs went out of his way to spew from his mush mouth when we weren't even close to playing them, I want the Ravens... badly. I think we could absolutely MURDER Joe Flacco and that offense. I want to see Suggs actually have to play vs Tebow after running his damned mouth. Everyone talks shit about Tebow until they play him. Beating NE this week would be awesome, but to me, there's no team I'd rather beat than the Ravens.

As sweet as that would be, I feel like if we play the Texans we get to the super bowl. Baltimore is much better than Houston without Schaub.

Tebowtime2011
01-14-2012, 03:30 AM
Brady & co are out to prove the last game was a farse. They'll come out in no-huddle, and put 21pts up so fast, your beer wont even be warm.

But it would be cool to have a Saints/Tebow SB.

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums Ok that's a problem why did you say saints/tebow superbowl wtf I'm so sick of hearing about how great tebow is when it isn't just him on that fields so say broncos next time wow I'm sorry but you really pissed me off because espn is talking about just tebow and how great only he played and tebow mania what about bronco mania even tebow said "I dont think its tebow time I just think its bronco time."

Joel
01-14-2012, 05:36 AM
If you have Miller and Elvis Dumervil both revved up and getting after it, that's a huge lift for a secondary that already has some playmakers.
Name two. There's Champ and... um... er... did I mention Champ...? :tsk: This is the game that convinces EFX to draft a CB in the first round.

As sweet as that would be, I feel like if we play the Texans we get to the super bowl. Baltimore is much better than Houston without Schaub.
Houston's Super Bowl is tomorrow, against the only AFC team in their class. It'll be tough unless Flacco melts down, but if they win they beat whoever wins our game. Good offense+good D>good offense+crap D if NE wins (Houston runs more than we do, and we rushed for 250 in 3 quarters against NE last month) and beats no secondary+inconsistent offense if we win.

Wades D is ideal against us OR NE. NFL.com did an interesting analysis of it going into the playoffs: They rush 4 or 5 and get to the QB effectively, put a safety over the top and rotating LBs everwhere in zone. They either get the QB or force him to throw into a crowd. That would give Brady fits, but it's also a great way to contain Tebow and our run game without giving up the deep ball.

When they're healthy I think they can beat any team in the League. They're missing Schaub, but Yates hasn't played badly, and they don't rely on his passing much. They're also missing Williams, but Barwin's had 11.5 sacks and a forced fumble in his place, so they aren't missing him as much as you'd think. As bad as the Packers and Saints D is (and the number of times Sean Payton went for it on 4th down last week speaks volumes about it) Houston could beat either; switch "offense" for "defence" and the same applies to SF.

They just have to get past Baltimore and we probably see a rookie QB start the Super Bowl, and his team might even win despite him.

OrangeHoof
01-14-2012, 02:19 PM
Houston lost at New Orleans early in the season but they led until late and it was one of Schaub's best games. Houston transitioned this year from a 4-3 to a 3-4 (in reverse of the Broncos) and I don't believe they had a good feel for Wade's defense back then, given the lockout took up almost the whole off-season.

Superchop 7
01-14-2012, 02:47 PM
If we play the same defense, especially on 3rd down.....we lose.

This game is all about the defense, last time......they screwed the pooch.

I will know real quick who will win.