PDA

View Full Version : Judge's ruling gives Broncos' Henry more playing time

DenBronx
10-12-2007, 03:02 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3060273&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines

A federal judge's ruling in the case involving Travis Henry's attempt to avoid a one-year suspension for a repeat violation of the NFL substance abuse policy had likely provided the Denver Broncos' tailback with another month or so of playing time.

Henry
According to court records first cited by the Denver Post and confirmed by a clerk, U.S. District Court Judge Leonard Wexler has ordered lawyers for Henry and for the NFL to file motions in the case in two weeks. There is an additional week after that in which the two parties can file responses to the motions.

Henry also has appeal rights in the league which might further delay a suspension and keep him on the field deeper into the season.

The issue being challenged by Henry is that the NFL would not allow his expert to observe testing of the so-called the "B-sample" of his specimen. Although the collective bargaining agreement permits a player to have an expert present for the testing, league vice president Greg Aiello said that expert cannot be affiliated with any laboratory.

The expert presented by Henry, Dr. William Closson of Long Island, N.Y., did have such an affiliation. The NFL provided Henry with the names of 10 independent experts as reference for his potential use.

In an affidavit filed by Henry on Sept. 18 as part of his court action, the Denver tailback stated: "There is no valid reason why any unlawful substance would be in my urine. This must be a mistake." He also noted in the affidavit: "If I fail this test, I will be suspended for one year from my employment, and will be obliged to repay all signing bonuses paid to date. ... I will be prejudiced if my expert cannot observe these tests."

Henry's original suit was filed in a state court in New York, which granted him a temporary restraining order. The league successfully quashed the order, however, by having the case moved to a federal court, because, it argued, interpretation of the NFL collective bargaining agreement falls under the jurisdiction of federal law. The NFL is attempting to have Henry's case dismissed.

In 2005, while with the Tennessee Titans, Henry was suspended four games for violating the substance abuse program. He would have rotated out of the program on Oct. 1 had he not had any subsequent positive tests before that. Citing confidentiality guides, league officials have not commented on Henry's status in the substance abuse program. But since he filed his lawsuit in September, logic suggests his positive test occurred before Oct. 1.

It is believed that, if the case goes to trial, Henry's attorneys will argue that the low levels of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) in his urine sample do not meet league thresholds, and could have registered as a result of second-hand marijuana inhalation. Henry has said that he will submit to a lie detector test and provide hair samples to support his innocence. Henry was said to have been in New York this week meeting with his attorneys.

The Broncos have a bye this week.

Henry, 28, signed a five-year, $22.5 million contract with the Broncos in March, only days after his release by the Titans to avoid paying him an $8 million roster bonus. The deal included a $6 million signing bonus to be paid in three installments. There is also a $6 million option bonus. If Henry is suspended, the Broncos would likely attempt to recover part of the bonus money already paid, and withhold future payments due him.

A seventh-year veteran, Henry is currently the second-leading rusher in the league. He has carried 102 times for rushed for 498 yards and one touchdown in five games.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com.

Skinny
10-12-2007, 04:04 PM
Great news. That's 2 more weeks than i had expected.

Works for me! :beer:

DenBronx
10-12-2007, 05:25 PM
Here's another quick update.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NFL&id=2271&line=101206&spln=1

The Denver Post reports Travis Henry's case regarding a failed drug test is expected to revolve around low levels of THC found in his urine sample.
Henry will argue that he was subject to secondhand marijuana smoke and will submit hair samples and take a lie detector test. Many in the NFL expect him to lose his battle in court, but see it as a potential landmark victory if Henry can pull it off. He's fully expected to be available to play until November at least. From the sound of this article, it could take a lot longer. Oct. 12 - 8:40 am et
Source: Denver Post

broncosfanscott
10-13-2007, 12:17 AM
Great news. That's 2 more weeks than i had expected.

Works for me! :beer:

Me too. I hope they drag this out as long as possible. :D

SBboundBRONCOS
10-13-2007, 12:56 AM
Me too. I hope they drag this out as long as possible. :D

if a suspension is inevitable i hope to god that they suspend him soon, for 2 reasons

1) get other RBs experience this year, if we are serious about turning this season around we need a RB with some starting expereince before heading into decemeber and hopefully january

2) have him available earlier next year if we dont cut him. that way with this year under our belt and much valuable experience earned we can make a great change to a powerhouse next season

just my 2 cents, but its all the better if he beats it completely

BaiLeY324
10-13-2007, 12:59 AM
if a suspension is inevitable i hope to god that they suspend him soon, for 2 reasons

1) get other RBs experience this year, if we are serious about turning this season around we need a RB with some starting expereince before heading into decemeber and hopefully january

2) have him available earlier next year if we dont cut him. that way with this year under our belt and much valuable experience earned we can make a great change to a powerhouse next season

Either way there's going to be a man by the name of Denver McFadden next year, so sa'll good. :elefant:

broncosfanscott
10-13-2007, 01:15 AM

Yeah, getting it out of the way ASAP is the best idea if the Broncos intend on keeping him after the suspension is over. If he beats it completely then that would be sweet.

Broncos Mtnman
10-13-2007, 02:51 AM
I hope it's over quick.

Besides the distraction it will cause, it delays the development of his replacement if he gets suspended.

Sorry, but dragging it out through a bunch of legal shananagans is only meant to do one thing, protect his bonuses. He could care less about the Broncos.

I say, fish or cut bait. NOW!!

SBboundBRONCOS
10-13-2007, 08:31 AM
I hope it's over quick.

Besides the distraction it will cause, it delays the development of his replacement if he gets suspended.

Sorry, but dragging it out through a bunch of legal shananagans is only meant to do one thing, protect his bonuses. He could care less about the Broncos.

I say, fish or cut bait. NOW!!

exactly what i said, :beer:

and McFadden would be sick in this offense, and while henry is good for the yards as of right now i havent seen that gamebreaking ability from him

Joel
10-14-2007, 04:35 AM
exactly what i said, :beer:

and McFadden would be sick in this offense, and while henry is good for the yards as of right now i havent seen that gamebreaking ability from him
Anyone can run in our offense, though with the distinct possibility two of our best linemen are done professionally that could get harder. But there's lots of fast backs out there; what Henry brought that the Bells lacked was the ability to move a pile, make one cut and go, catch passes and, perhaps most importantly for a young QB as everyone bemoans our pass protection, PICK UP THE BLITZ! These things are exceptionally rare in a rookie runningback. That's assuming a whole lot of things happen that are far from certain, such as our finishing in a position where McFadden is available and our front office and coaches deciding a Day One RB on a team that's in the top five rushing every year is more important than NTs on a team that's #32 in rushing D. Personally, I'm sick of all the supposed Saviors that are gonna take us to the Super Bowl the moment the inks dry on their contract. Remember Marcus Thomas, Jarvis Moss and Tim Crowder? #32 against the run, guys....

If Henry can beat this, great, more power to him; his style of versatile play is EXACTLY what we needed in every phase of the offense, but, while I think it's bogus that you're allowed to have an expert present for the test only if he's no real expert, it seems unlikely Henry WILL beat this, justly or not. And if that's the case, since we DO have Marcus Thomas and he DID drop two rounds in the draft because, like Henry, he'd ALREADY failed one drug test I don't see any sane way to keep Henry. In that case I agree with those who say the sooner this is settled and we can start regaining some stability and preparing his replacement, the better. One of the upsides in Selvin Youngs scouting report was his potential as a blocker, and I'd frankly rather see us go with him and Mike Bell while we work out the far more devastating kinks at DT and S/MLB on the first day of the Draft. I'm certainly more optimistic about finding a hulking NT who can come in and immediately clog the middle than I am about finding a rookie back who can be the next Payton or Davis on his first pro snap.