PDA

View Full Version : Cutler speaks about trade talks.

DenBronx
02-28-2009, 08:17 PM
Even without serious competition from a backup, the Broncos had themselves a quarterback controversy Friday.

Jay Cutler, the Broncos' starting quarterback, the franchise, the one player who carried all hope for a greater future, believes his days with the team are numbered — even after a proposed deal that would have sent him to Tampa Bay and Matt Cassel to Denver never materialized.

"My understanding at this point is they're trying to trade me," Cutler said this afternoon. "We'll see where I end up at. I liked it here, I liked playing with these guys but obviously they're not going to let me have that opportunity."

The deal had Tampa Bay trying to acquire Cutler in exchange for a first-round draft pick. In turn, the Broncos would have traded the first-round draft pick to New England in exchange for quarterback Matt Cassel.

McDaniels was the Patriots' offensive coordinator last season when he helped guide Cassel, a career-long backup, to an 11-5 record and 89.4 passer rating that ranked 10th in the league.

It may be important to note, Tampa Bay initiated the deal. And they weren't the only team that inquired about acquiring Cutler.

"He's not the only person in the last few days we've received calls on," McDaniels said. "We've received trade calls on a number of players, which is not uncommon this time of the year. I also think the sensitivity of the other trade that was occurring, with my relationship with New England and the whole Cassel thing, I think that stirred the pot even more."

And then McDaniels made a point of emphasis: "We don't want to trade Jay. We never did. He's our quarterback. We're excited about this season. And excited about what we're doing here in free agency to improve our team."

Cassel was instead traded Saturday to the Kansas City Chiefs in exchange for the No. 34 overall pick in the upcoming draft.

Nevertheless, Cutler was shaken his team entertained moving him, and doesn't believe such a possibility is dead.

"I'm upset. I mean I'm really shocked at this point," he said. "I could see why they want Cassel. I don't know if they think I can't run the system or I don't have the skills for it. I just don't get it. Or if they don't think they can sign me with my next contract. I just don't know what it is. I've heard I'm still on the trading block."

Cutler has three years left on the six-year contract he signed prior to his rookie season. He said Broncos officials denied they were trying to him in a conversation with his agent Bus Cook. Cutler added that after the proposed deal spread through the Internet, the team cut off communication with Cook.

Had the proposed trade gone through, it would have been a head-scratcher from the Broncos' standpoint. Cutler is a first-round talent. He was picked No. 11 overall in the 2006 draft and if the league re-did that draft today, Cutler might go No. 2, behind only Houston defensive end Mario Williams.

Cassel, meanwhile, did not start one game at quarterback at USC and never started in the NFL until this, his fourth season.

Granted, he played behind Carson Palmer and Matt Leinart at USC and Tom Brady at New England. But Cassel doesn't have near the arm strength or big-play capability of Cutler, whose 4,526 yards ranked only behind Drew Brees and Kurt Warner among NFL quarterbacks last season.

If Cutler is not traded, and he stays with the Broncos, can his situation be mended? Cutler took a long pause before answering.

"Anything can be mended," he said. "I'll always play with the guys we've got. I love playing for those guys. Obviously, Josh and I's relationship has taken a few steps backward. I don't play for the coaches anyway, I play for teammates. As long as we keep the guys we've got I'll go out there and play. I love those guys."

Cutler said he had spoken with teammates Brandon Marshall, Brandon Stokley, Tony Scheffler and Casey Wiegmann, among others, about his trade.

"I know they love playing for me and I love playing for them," Cutler said. "There's going to be a lot of problems if they try to trade me. Well, they've already tried to trade me, but if they trade me for sure."

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_11809351

DenBronx
02-28-2009, 08:22 PM
he said theres going to be alot of problems if they try and trade him. sounds like sheff, marshall, casey and a few others will raise some hell if a deal goes down.

JKcatch724
02-28-2009, 08:22 PM
"He's not the only person in the last few days we've received calls on," McDaniels said. "We've received trade calls on a number of players, which is not uncommon this time of the year. I also think the sensitivity of the other trade that was occurring, with my relationship with New England and the whole Cassel thing, I think that stirred the pot even more."

There ya go... I hope he's said this to Jay.

NameUsedBefore
02-28-2009, 08:23 PM
Idiocracy, for McD,

Doctor: [Laughs] Right, kick ass. Well, don't want to sound like a dick or nothin', but, ah... it says on your chart that you're ****** up. Ah, you talk like a fag, and your shit's all retarded. What I'd do, is just like... like... you know, like, you know what I mean, like...

BigAL56
02-28-2009, 08:25 PM
this has been a bad, bad day

ikillz0mbies
02-28-2009, 08:26 PM
I wonder if this whole trading Cutler rumors has shaken up the rest of the team and their trust in the front office and coaching staff.

DenBronx
02-28-2009, 08:27 PM
There ya go... I hope he's said this to Jay.

the trade talks are regarding his idiot long snapper that he got for 5.5 mill. what did we end up trading to new england for him anyway?

DenBronx
02-28-2009, 08:27 PM
I wonder if this whole trading Cutler rumors has shaken up the rest of the team and their trust in the front office and coaching staff.

you bet your pale skinned zombie balls it has.

BroncoWave
02-28-2009, 08:28 PM
Cutler needs to quit being such a whiny little bitch. I don't understand why everyone is piling on McDaniels right now. Cutler's the one who is handling this terribly. To me, it just seems like Tampa made an offer and Denver respectfully declined. Cutler needs to get over it and grow up.

oobehr
02-28-2009, 08:29 PM
Godd this got way out of hand at the drop of a dime. Cutler is a good player, good players attract people looking for trades, cutler, also has yet to prove he is John Elway, If a team coems to you and asks if you are willing to listen to the trade proposal, you are going to listen to it. That is all the broncos staff did. Tampa, detroit, and new england, for some reason thought they might be able to get Cutler(or the a first round pick in new england's case). Denver listened, but made no action. I bet this happens to every big name player around the league, it is the only reason big trades happen. It just got leaked that denver had listened to the deal and now every friggin person in the state claims mcdaniels and xanders are the devil. Cutler is still a bronco, both sides will kiss and make up, we will move on.

G_Money
02-28-2009, 08:30 PM
Sheff is on the block too.

Nothing says Marshall has to be re-signed and he's in the last year of his rookie contract. Wiegmann probably retires after the upcoming season.

Since McDaniels apparently has the power to trade Cutler and has entertained the notion with at least 2 teams today, I'm not sure why you'd think any of those guys would be safe.

He'd better fix this with Cutler - FAST. Cutler isn't wrong about the "my relationship with my coach took a couple of steps backwards" thing. If the answer to "is Cutler available if I offer you Cassel?" isn't hysterical laughter and hanging up the phone, followed by calling Cutler and sharing the conversation so you can BOTH laugh, then you've done it wrong.

Ask Reeves, who drafted Elway's replacement and talked about trading him before Bowlen told him not to be an idiot, and then eventually fired him.

Cutler isn't Elway yet, but every team that throws a young franchise QB out on his ear (Brees, Young, Favre, etc) seems to wind up regretting it.

Some more than others, but replacing a great young QB who can stabilize your franchise for a decade is problematic at best. This is not college. And now that Cassel is safely ensconced with our rivals for the upcoming season, McDaniels had better make sure the far better QB already on our roster is 100% behind his new agenda.

Reeves lost the QB battle to Elway, and Shanahan showed what can be done with even an aging great QB. We have the chance to do it right from the start.

Stop buggering up the works.

~G

DenBronx
02-28-2009, 08:31 PM
Cutler needs to quit being such a whiny little bitch. I don't understand why everyone is piling on McDaniels right now. Cutler's the one who is handling this terribly. To me, it just seems like Tampa made an offer and Denver respectfully declined. Cutler needs to get over it and grow up.

he said and i dont even know IF im OFF of the trading block yet. he also said he would still like to be a bronco and would play hard for the players and fans. he likes it here. he just said it would take some mending between him and mckid. i mean this whole deal sounds extremely shady and mckid is behind it all.... freakin little weasel...

Rex
02-28-2009, 08:31 PM

I agree with you.

I like how he points out that he does not "play for coaches". Hmmmm.

Watchthemiddle
02-28-2009, 08:32 PM

Exactly!!

I have yet to read in any of the articles and reports from today that the Broncos are the team that instigated any of the trade talks.

Therefor, Cutler is now blaming McDaniels as being the bad guy because McDaniels was hired to replace Shanny and McDaniels got rid of Bates.

NameUsedBefore
02-28-2009, 08:33 PM

It's because they "entertained the thought". Before Cassel went to the Chiefs it looks like Cutler wast totally on the table in the discussions. It's only now that it's "Oh, we never will trade Cutler!" Of course not, the guy McD clearly wanted is gone. But he made the gesture which is more than enough. It is insulting to do such things, whether it's sports, business, international politics whatever.

BroncoWave
02-28-2009, 08:34 PM
I agree with you.

I like how he points out that he does not "play for coaches". Hmmmm.

Exactly. That's the last thing we need is a coach killer at QB. That quote bothers me a lot. Cutler still has a ton of maturing to do.

ikillz0mbies
02-28-2009, 08:34 PM

Rumors regarding star and franchise players happen all the time. I will admit though that Cutler is being somewhat of a primadonna. Like in one of the reports, trade talks involving these kind of players always happen, it just so happens that this one leaked. I'm sure teams called about Brandon Marshall, Champ Bailey, Eddie Royal, etc. and the Broncos probably thought about it and said no. But word didn't leak about it. I think every player in the NFL should not consider themselves "untouchable" and that they're names will always be mentioned in trade talks.

Rex
02-28-2009, 08:36 PM
Exactly. That's the last thing we need is a coach killer at QB. That quote bothers me a lot. Cutler still has a ton of maturing to do.

he is flying off the handle........

not unlike he does on occassion on the field.

BroncoWave
It's because they "entertained the thought". Before Cassel went to the Chiefs it looks like Cutler wast totally on the table in the discussions. It's only now that it's "Oh, we never will trade Cutler!" Of course not, the guy McD clearly wanted is gone. But he made the gesture which is more than enough. It is insulting to do such things, whether it's sports, business, international politics whatever.

You're just speculating. You have no idea if McD seriously wanted to make that trade or not. Unless you were in the room hearing the talks, you really have no clue what really went on.

PatricktheDookie
This wasn't as if this was a one-sided offer and a decline.

There were discussions. And reading about the compensation, it seems more like they wanted to unload Cutler than trade him for a great deal.

Ridiculous.

BeefStew25
02-28-2009, 08:38 PM

You're just speculating. Unless you were in the room hearing the talks, you really have no clue what really went on.

Mike
02-28-2009, 08:38 PM
You're just speculating. You have no idea if McD seriously wanted to make that trade or not. Unless you were in the room hearing the talks, you really have no clue what really went on.

Neither do you.

But I doubt Jay would be asking for a trade if all it was was some team calling and asking to trade for him.

Rex
02-28-2009, 08:39 PM
You're just speculating. Unless you were in the room hearing the talks, you really have no clue what really went on.

As is everyone that wants to fire the head coach that has been in Denver for 2 months.

It is ALL speculation. This is a fuggin message board. Nobody has anymore idea what happened than my dog.

G_Money
02-28-2009, 08:40 PM

Cutler takes everything very personally. He always has, he always will. He's temperamental. It's how he managed to go from having NO Division 1 school offer him a scholarship to throw a football (Vandy was an option team at the time, and wanted him to fullback-it-up and just throw it occasionally) to being the best QB of his draft and a Pro-Bowler who set team passing marks in his 3rd season.

It's not a drawback. It just means you have to handle him a certain way.

This is the OPPOSITE of that way. This is not a minor thing. Cutler is as vindictive in his way as Shanahan was toward the Raiders or anyone that ever shafted him. When you have a guy like that, and he's the keystone of your offense, you don't treat him like crap, stop giving his agent information and leave him in the dark while you dis him by talking about trading him out a few weeks after you took over the head coaching job in the first place.

He doesn't know where he stands with you, you replaced the man who drafted and had faith in him and fired his close friend on the staff, are talking about ditching his other friends on the team like Scheffler and now are entertaining trade talks involving him...but it's not a big deal?

It is to him.

Which means it is to you. Get it right, and go make it right. STAT.

~G

Rex
02-28-2009, 08:42 PM
In defense of Jay Cutler....

Somebody in Denver might have sent him a text or sumpin'.....know what I'm sayin dawg?

getlynched47
02-28-2009, 08:42 PM
this has been a bad, bad day

yes it has...

McDumbass better repair this relationship between him and Cutler before things get way out of hand.

BeefStew25
02-28-2009, 08:43 PM
In defense of Jay Cutler....

Somebody in Denver might have sent him a text or sumpin'.....know what I'm sayin dawg?

End of the day Xerox or whomever handled this bad.

Watchthemiddle
02-28-2009, 08:44 PM

And then McDaniels made a point of emphasis: "We don't want to trade Jay. We never did. He's our quarterback. We're excited about this season. And excited about what we're doing here in free agency to improve our team."

Straight from the head horses mouth. Now Jay is being a drama queen about ALL of the speculation. I would be willing to bet he is logged on right now onto this board flinging rumors...:laugh:

rcsodak
02-28-2009, 08:45 PM
Sheff is on the block too.

Nothing says Marshall has to be re-signed and he's in the last year of his rookie contract. Wiegmann probably retires after the upcoming season.

Since McDaniels apparently has the power to trade Cutler and has entertained the notion with at least 2 teams today, I'm not sure why you'd think any of those guys would be safe.

He'd better fix this with Cutler - FAST. Cutler isn't wrong about the "my relationship with my coach took a couple of steps backwards" thing. If the answer to "is Cutler available if I offer you Cassel?" isn't hysterical laughter and hanging up the phone, followed by calling Cutler and sharing the conversation so you can BOTH laugh, then you've done it wrong.

Ask Reeves, who drafted Elway's replacement and talked about trading him before Bowlen told him not to be an idiot, and then eventually fired him.

Cutler isn't Elway yet, but every team that throws a young franchise QB out on his ear (Brees, Young, Favre, etc) seems to wind up regretting it.

Some more than others, but replacing a great young QB who can stabilize your franchise for a decade is problematic at best. This is not college. And now that Cassel is safely ensconced with our rivals for the upcoming season, McDaniels had better make sure the far better QB already on our roster is 100% behind his new agenda.

Reeves lost the QB battle to Elway, and Shanahan showed what can be done with even an aging great QB. We have the chance to do it right from the start.

Stop buggering up the works.

~G

~G, you of all people should know that if you're going to "quote" somebody, you don't change the words.
You missed his "I's". That there is some good-gum teaching, there. Vandy would be proud! :laugh:

BigCurly1230
02-28-2009, 08:47 PM
It's obvious what happened ....

McDaniels got the Goodmans out of front office to get Xanders in there who would agree with the move.
He then tried to get "his" QB in Matt Cassel, who knows his offense, to run our team.
It's all a part of the master plan!

I'm ready to fire him just as long as we keep Nolan to run the defense....

Bring in Gruden

He hates the Raiders just as much as we do!

JKcatch724
02-28-2009, 08:47 PM
Mods, could we merge all these Cutler trade threads into one giant "The Apocalypse is coming... rape, steal, and pillage while you still can" thread?

tia

Rex
02-28-2009, 08:48 PM
End of the day Xerox or whomever handled this bad.

Yeah. I agree.

Dont alienate your players by having them find out they were almost traded from Adam Shefter while you are playing pool at Dickie's Bar and Grill.

However, stop....count to 3.....make some calls.....talk to your agent.....get to the bottom of this. Dont fly off the handle, demand trades, give the media a story.

It was handled bad. But Cutler can make this worse. McD said he didnt want to trade him. Have a meeting and dont let this turn into the Dallas Cowboys.

BeefStew25
02-28-2009, 08:49 PM
Yeah. I agree.

Dont alienate your players by having them find out they were almost traded from Adam Shefter while you are playing pool at Dickie's Bar and Grill.

However, stop....count to 3.....make some calls.....talk to your agent.....get to the bottom of this. Dont fly off the handle, demand trades, give the media a story.

It was handled bad. But Cutler can make this worse. McD said he didnt want to trade him. Have a meeting and dont let this turn into the Dallas Cowboys.

getlynched47
02-28-2009, 08:49 PM
McDumbass :rolleyes:..........:coffee:

Rex
02-28-2009, 08:50 PM

You are right.

I need to talk to Lex or Boss. Get the FACTS.

G_Money
02-28-2009, 08:50 PM
Yeah. I agree.

But he called his agent, and his agent said something like, "yes, they are talking to other teams. They denied it when we talked, but when I confirmed it and other sources reported it they stopped talking to me and now I have no idea what's going on."

Just stupid. :coffee:

If the next call I get is from a reporter I might give him an earfull too.

Don't EVER put your stud QB with a reputation for flying off the handle and saying exactly what he thinks in that position. Be smarter than that. He's the million-dollar athlete, you're supposed to be the one with the people skills and brains. Do your job of managing your player assets better.

~G

sanluis
02-28-2009, 09:11 PM

This is clear to me.....:coffee:

Dreadnought
02-28-2009, 09:17 PM
But he called his agent, and his agent said something like, "yes, they are talking to other teams. They denied it when we talked, but when I confirmed it and other sources reported it they stopped talking to me and now I have no idea what's going on."

Just stupid. :coffee:

If the next call I get is from a reporter I might give him an earfull too.

Don't EVER put your stud QB with a reputation for flying off the handle and saying exactly what he thinks in that position. Be smarter than that. He's the million-dollar athlete, you're supposed to be the one with the people skills and brains. Do your job of managing your player assets better.

~G

Exactly - they essentially lied to him, then denied that they lied to him, then got busted, then stumbled around looking stupid and out of control. At this point Jay owes them zero loyalty. Liars lose that fast. It also hilights that they are way way out of their depth.

Greatspirits
02-28-2009, 09:38 PM
Cutler needs to grow up, and quit throwing friggin red zone interceptions!! Once he does that he will never, ever hear any trade talks!! Even Elwood had trade rumors every now and then. Quit worrying about rumors and come in and play like the franchise quarterback he's capable of.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-28-2009, 09:39 PM
who is elwood?

BeefStew25
02-28-2009, 09:41 PM
who is elwood?

onE OF THE BLUES BROTHERS I THINK. tHE OTHER WAS ONE LONNIE LONGSNAPPER

elsid13
02-28-2009, 09:42 PM
Exactly - they essentially lied to him, then denied that they lied to him, then got busted, then stumbled around looking stupid and out of control. At this point Jay owes them zero loyalty. Liars lose that fast. It also hilights that they are way way out of their depth.

Really smart guys we have running the place huh? The new brain trust is three stooges.

Greatspirits
02-28-2009, 09:45 PM
I like Cutler alot, but he hasn't proved squat, other than he can throw for thousands of yard and thousands of interceptions he hasn't proved he can win big games. Mcdaniels doesn't owe Cutler anything, his job is to make this a better football team, bottom line.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-28-2009, 09:48 PM
Don't you know your opinion dosn't count yet? Ya need at least 300 more posts.

dogfish
02-28-2009, 09:49 PM
I like Cutler alot, but he hasn't proved squat, other than he can throw for thousands of yard and thousands of interceptions he hasn't proved he can win big games. Mcdaniels doesn't owe Cutler anything, his job is to make this a better football team, bottom line.

yea-- he's no elwood, that's for sure!

getlynched47
02-28-2009, 09:52 PM
Don't you know your opinion dosn't count yet? Ya need at least 300 more posts.

damn.........then I better get working :coffee:

elsid13
02-28-2009, 09:55 PM
yea-- he's no elwood, that's for sure!

King Street Blues has great elwood - BBQ Pulled Pork. The sauces is sweet Carolina style.

DenBronx
02-28-2009, 09:58 PM
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest

some good stuff in here too.

Italianmobstr7
02-28-2009, 10:05 PM
Did anyone hear this? Jay spoke to Vic Lombardi on the phone. Says he hopes to be a Bronco. It sounds like he's staying here since the Cassel deal fell through. He does feel like the team tried to trade him. Or at least told some teams that they were open to trading him. Check it for yourself.

http://cbs4denver.com/video/?id=53858@kcnc.dayport.com

getlynched47
02-28-2009, 10:07 PM
Did anyone hear this? Jay spoke to Vic Lombardi on the phone. Says he hopes to be a Bronco. It sounds like he's staying here since the Cassel deal fell through. He does feel like the team tried to trade him. Or at least told some teams that they were open to trading him. Check it for yourself.

http://cbs4denver.com/video/?id=53858@kcnc.dayport.com

he feels so betrayed........

atwater27
02-28-2009, 10:08 PM

Dude, you have absolutely no inside details about how he was notified and who notified him. Maybe the team failed to let him know other teams were interested, but not to worry because they had no intention of trading him. Maybe they kept him in the dark. If you were a player and found out from another source besides your team that you were in trade talks before your team told you, you would be a whiny bitch about it too.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-28-2009, 10:10 PM
Dude, you have absolutely no inside details about how he was notified and who notified him. Maybe the team failed to let him know other teams were interested, but not to worry because they had no intention of trading him. Maybe they kept him in the dark. If you were a player and found out from another source besides your team that you were in trade talks before your team told you, you would be a whiny bitch about it too.

oh yeah??? and you have rainbows and unicorns on your sig...

getlynched47
02-28-2009, 10:10 PM

hell yeah I'd be a whiny little bitch about it.

I would go off on the coach trying to trade me like a bitch that's PMSing :eek:

atwater27
02-28-2009, 10:11 PM

~G

Exactly. You guys need to lay off of Cutty. You got nooo idea how you would have handled that situation.

Shazam!
02-28-2009, 10:13 PM

I agree with this 1000%. Cutler needs to man up and realize this is a business. He wasn't traded and that is the bottom line. No man is bigger than the franchise. None. He needs to stop his baby ?!@#.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-28-2009, 10:16 PM
Mort said he talked to cutty on the phone. Cutty did't demanda trade...just asked permission to talk to the tams wo were in discussions.

Also said that technically, NE passed up the #12 for a 2nd rounder just so they would NOT let Denver get Cassel.

BroncoWave
02-28-2009, 10:16 PM

If it did go down as you say, sure he has a right to complain, but I'd rather he do it behind closed doors. If it went like that and he wants to rail into McD and Xanders in person, go for it. But taking it to the media is ALWAYS A BAD IDEA! All he is doing is making the situation exponentially worse. I'm fine with him yelling at whomever he wants behind closed doors but whining to the media isn't helping anything.

NameUsedBefore
02-28-2009, 10:17 PM
There simply had to have been feelers lying around that McD was interested in bringing Cassel to Denver. As Cutler said, you don't hear anyone talking about Manning (or Rivers, Brees et al) because those kinds of discussions are off the table before it even happens. They're crazy talk, nobody trades franchise QBs. So why did they bring it to the table with Cutler and Cassel, McD's former QB, just happened to be involved? Maybe teams were hoping McD would be a big idiot, that's a possibility. But the way McDaniels/Xanders have been going it really points to them being interested. And then when it's done, they can just back off and join the rest of the crowd in saying "That's ridiculous, we never would have done that".

Somehow a franchise QB got brought into the discussions and IMO, that doesn't happen by accident. There had to have been some feelers of some sort that there was even room for that discussion.

BeefStew25
02-28-2009, 10:19 PM
If it did go down as you say, sure he has a right to complain, but I'd rather he do it behind closed doors. If it went like that and he wants to rail into McD and Xanders in person, go for it. But taking it to the media is ALWAYS A BAD IDEA! All he is doing is making the situation exponentially worse. I'm fine with him yelling at whomever he wants behind closed doors but whining to the media isn't helping anything.

atwater27
02-28-2009, 10:20 PM
oh yeah??? and you have rainbows and unicorns on your sig...

And puppy dogs, flowers, dolphins and bunnies. And don't you forget it.

BigDaddyBronco
02-28-2009, 10:21 PM
We all know Jay doesn't have a media filter. I'm sure this type of stuff goes on all the time with teams, but the media knows if they talk to Jay they'll get a good quote and can run with a story.

We can all tell this isn't the Shanny regime anymore, leaks everywhere.

BroncoWave
02-28-2009, 10:22 PM

I'm speculating that he went and whined to the media? That's exactly what happened.

dogfish
02-28-2009, 10:24 PM
Also said that technically, NE passed up the #12 for a 2nd rounder just so they would NOT let Denver get Cassel.

good lord, when did matt freakin' cassell become the second coming of joe montana without me noticing?

Shazam!
02-28-2009, 10:24 PM
A new Coach wants his own guys who knows his own system. If McD was interested in bringing in Cassel, how this shocks people I do not know. It's not the worst thing in the world either. I'm all in for Cutler but they'd get a quality starter too in Cassel. He got better as the Season wore on and I think he has a great future and I hope he doesn't prosper too much in KC against Denver.

There is mega-rebuilding going on in Denver. We all should have seen this coming, even the possibility of Cutler being traded. Hell, when JJ arrived in Miami in the late 90's there was thought he'd trade Dan Marino for Christ's sake.

I want them to do whatever they think will make the Broncos better and win a Championship. I am not ready to destroy them yet until they fail.

horsepig
02-28-2009, 10:26 PM

I do know that Cutler's cell doesn't seem to work very well. Hell, he didn't return McD's calls for weeks when he was very busy on a beach somewhere.

Kinda weird, I think. New head coach and you can't be reached on the beach? I think even Belize City has phones in hotel rooms.

I know nothing about how this was handled by the Broncos staff, but I bet they would have sent at least a pizza delivery guy to tell Cutler something was up if something was really up. This a perfect example of how reporters make a living and Cutler doesn't seem to get it.

JKcatch724
02-28-2009, 10:27 PM
We need Blue Run here to sort all of this out for us. He's got McD on speed dial.

TXBRONC
02-28-2009, 10:47 PM
Did anyone else listen to SportsGuru's Mile High Report? He said something I thought was very interesting concerning the trade b.s. He said that this story really had no legs until Lombardi made the phone call to Jay. He said that because the D.P. didn't have anything say about it until Lombardi had that phone conversation. He torn into Lombardi and Schefter both for making this a mess.

tomjonesrocks
02-28-2009, 11:28 PM

No offense, but are you even reading the effing reports?

tomjonesrocks
02-28-2009, 11:34 PM
It's obvious what happened ....

McDaniels got the Goodmans out of front office to get Xanders in there who would agree with the move.
He then tried to get "his" QB in Matt Cassel, who knows his offense, to run our team.
It's all a part of the master plan!

I'm ready to fire him just as long as we keep Nolan to run the defense....

Bring in Gruden

He hates the Raiders just as much as we do!

You haven't got the slightest idea what you're talking about.

And the Gruden thing is idiotic. We're already paying for one coach to watch TV at home--you're suggested we add a second?

Please get real.

tomjonesrocks
02-28-2009, 11:37 PM
Anyone else getting a vision of our division rivals laughing their asses off at our poorly-run organization?

What the hell happened to us?

MOtorboat
02-28-2009, 11:37 PM
Anyone else getting a vision of our division rivals laughing their asses off at our poorly-run organization?

What the hell happened to us?

No.

BigCurly1230
02-28-2009, 11:58 PM
You haven't got the slightest idea what you're talking about.

And the Gruden thing is idiotic. We're already paying for one coach to watch TV at home--you're suggested we add a second?

Please get real.

:rofl:

fcspikeit
03-01-2009, 01:49 AM
Yeah. I agree.

He called his agent, He also said they blocked his agent out...

He surely knows more about what is going on then we do. So does Shefter, at best they were entertaining the idea of trading him, at worst they would have traded him had Cassel not been traded to the Chiefs..

This is about way more then another team calling to ask about a trade. As was said, that happens all the time. No reason to even report it if there wasn't a lot more to it then that..

fcspikeit
03-01-2009, 02:12 AM

He heard about it from the media... I don't get why this is so freaking hard to understand? They were considering trading him! Some reports even suggest they would have traded him if the Chiefs hadn't got the deal done first..

What did he say that was so bad? That he didn't want to be traded? That he wanted to stay in Denver and play for the Broncos? WTF, why is everyone jumping on Cutler?

BroncoWave
03-01-2009, 02:42 AM
He heard about it from the media... I don't get why this is so freaking hard to understand? They were considering trading him! Some reports even suggest they would have traded him if the Chiefs hadn't got the deal done first..

What did he say that was so bad? That he didn't want to be traded? That he wanted to stay in Denver and play for the Broncos? WTF, why is everyone jumping on Cutler?

"I don't play for the coaches anyway"

Not really something you want your star QB saying. If he's not willing to have a relationship with McD then we are going to have some problems.

BroncoWave
03-01-2009, 02:44 AM
No offense, but are you even reading the effing reports?

Yes, because all reports are totally accurate. :rolleyes:

Common sense tells me that they were never really that serious about trading Cutler. They might have entertained the thought for a second but I don't think they were anywhere close to pulling the trigger. This is something that should have been a non-story that has been completely blown up by the media.

Shazam!
03-01-2009, 02:51 AM
This is something that should have been a non-story that has been completely blown up by the media and Broncos fans.

Edited.

Italianmobstr7
03-01-2009, 03:08 AM
Chris Mortensen report and transcript.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=3943257

Q: Mort. I know you've spoken to Jay Cutler. What are his reactions to this
story.

Chris Mortensen: Well, Jay was very disappointed that he was shopped as he believes he was and at the same time he wanted to clarify the he has not demanded a trade. What I think happened probably is that after they heard, after Cutler and his agent Bus Cook heard that the team was shopping him they asked permission to talk to some of those teams and the Broncos denied that.

I think he's hurt. I think he's wounded. He's saying that Josh McDaniels the new Coach of the Broncos preferred Matt Cassel his old QB in New England over Cutler the QB who went to the Pro-bowl with the Broncos. So I think there are a lot of fences to be mended if Cutler is even back in Denver and Cutler is not even sure he won't continue to be shopped by the way.

Q: What else can you tell us about this story. What kind of trade negotiations were going on before Matt Cassel ended up in Kansas City?

Mort: Well, as it's been reported it's pretty complicated. There were several subplots all involving the Patriots on one end with Matt Cassel, with Matt Cassel's rights, who has more than $14 million coming to him as a franchised player, with Scott Pioli, the you know, former front office guy with New England in Kansas City trying to get Cassel, and you had Josh McDaniels the former Offensive Coordinator and quarterback coach of the Patriots trying to get Cassel.

So what you had going on here was a deal with Kansas City, that's the one that got done for a second round pick. But you had the Tampa Bay Buccaneers specifically offered a first round pick and a 3rd round pick to Denver for Cutler in which the Patriots could have gotten at least the 12th pick in the draft.

So the Patriots turned down a better pick to send Cassel on to KC to be with Scott Pioli rather than going to Denver to be with Josh McDaniels, which suggests to me here that we have another sub-plot brewing here between Bill Belichek and a former assistant coach.

topscribe
03-01-2009, 03:22 AM
Yes, because all reports are totally accurate. :rolleyes:

Common sense tells me that they were never really that serious about trading Cutler. They might have entertained the thought for a second but I don't think they were anywhere close to pulling the trigger. This is something that should have been a non-story that has been completely blown up by the media.

As usual . . . :nod:

-----

PatricktheDookie
03-01-2009, 03:35 AM

story.

Chris Mortensen: Well, Jay was very disappointed that he was shopped as he believes he was and at the same time he wanted to clarify the he has not demanded a trade. What I think happened probably is that after they heard, after Cutler and his agent Bus Cook heard that the team was shopping him they asked permission to talk to some of those teams and the Broncos denied that.

I think he's hurt. I think he's wounded. He's saying that Josh McDaniels the new Coach of the Broncos preferred Matt Cassel his old QB in New England over Cutler the QB who went to the Pro-bowl with the Broncos. So I think there are a lot of fences to be mended if Cutler is even back in Denver and Cutler is not even sure he won't continue to be shopped by the way.

Q: What else can you tell us about this story. What kind of trade negotiations were going on before Matt Cassel ended up in Kansas City?

Mort: Well, as it's been reported it's pretty complicated. There were several subplots all involving the Patriots on one end with Matt Cassel, with Matt Cassel's rights, who has more than $14 million coming to him as a franchised player, with Scott Pioli, the you know, former front office guy with New England in Kansas City trying to get Cassel, and you had Josh McDaniels the former Offensive Coordinator and quarterback coach of the Patriots trying to get Cassel.

So what you had going on here was a deal with Kansas City, that's the one that got done for a second round pick. But you had the Tampa Bay Buccaneers specifically offered a first round pick and a 3rd round pick to Denver for Cutler in which the Patriots could have gotten at least the 12th pick in the draft.

So the Patriots turned down a better pick to send Cassel on to KC to be with Scott Pioli rather than going to Denver to be with Josh McDaniels, which suggests to me here that we have another sub-plot brewing here between Bill Belichek and a former assistant coach.

Wow. That's pretty damning.

dogfish
03-01-2009, 03:41 AM

that's what happens when you steal bellyache's long snapper. . . .

fcspikeit
03-01-2009, 03:55 AM

Not really something you want your star QB saying. If he's not willing to have a relationship with McD then we are going to have some problems.

Where did he say he wasn't willing to have a relationship with Mckid?

He said the relationship could be mended, Besides that, the coach isn't the reason he plays is how I took it.. His last coach got fired, yet he still planned on playing this year ;)

Astrass
03-01-2009, 03:55 AM
I think everyone on the team is a little more insecure then normal. New coaches and probably a lot less communication then they were used to with Shanny around.

I think the media is blowing this out of proportion as they usually do.....I've heard so many conflicting reports already. I even heard John Clayton say on ESPN radio this afternoon that "Cutler requested to be traded and the Broncos denied his request".

I'm sure everything will blow over soon and I really hope McD isn't going to do anything stupid.

fcspikeit
03-01-2009, 04:02 AM

story.

Sheftler on NFL total access also said McKid wanted Cassel and was trying to get the trade done to get him... It's pretty clear, coming from all who have reported this that Mckid wanted to trade Cutler for Cassel, there is no getting around it.

All the guys on NFLN also said they can understand why Cutler would be upset after McDaniels tride to trade him. Pretty much everyone knows Mckid wanted and was trying to trade Cutler...

Cutler wasn't making a big deal out of nothing! The biggest BS story is that Cutler demanded a trade, all he did was asked to talk with the teams they were going to trade him to... Cutler is not the bad guy here!

Rex
03-01-2009, 08:04 AM
Imagine 24 hour news media coverage blowing something out of proportion and getting everyone fired up.

That NEVER happens.

omac
03-01-2009, 08:18 AM
Imagine 24 hour news media coverage blowing something out of proportion and getting everyone fired up.

That NEVER happens.

I call BS. If nothing was going on, then why was Cutler's agent cut out of the communication?

Makes me wonder if the Goodman's had an inkling of what was to come and was against it.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-01-2009, 08:52 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_11810112

A frustrated Jay Cutler said he believes his days in Denver are numbered, and he feels betrayed.

"My understanding at this point is they're trying to trade me," Cutler said Saturday. "We'll see where I end up at. I liked it here, I liked playing with these guys, but obviously they're not going to let me have that opportunity."

A proposed deal had Tampa Bay trying to acquire Cutler in exchange for a first-round draft pick. In turn, the Broncos would have traded the first-round pick to New England in exchange for quarterback Matt Cassel.

Broncos head coach Josh McDaniels was the Patriots' offensive coordinator last season when he helped guide Cassel, a career-long backup, to an 11-5 record and 89.4 passer rating that ranked 10th in the league.

McDaniels said the team is not trying to trade Cutler.

Cutler is skeptical.

"What bothers me about this is I've been dropping in there regularly the last 2 1/2 weeks, dealing with these guys, talking to Mr. Bowlen, talking to Josh, talking to (offensive coordinator) Mike McCoy," Cutler said. "Day to day . . . and they didn't reach this point yesterday, you know what I mean? It's been in motion for a while."

Reflecting, Cutler said he thought some of the Broncos officials "were acting strange" around him.

It may be important to note, Tampa Bay initiated the deal. And it wasn't the only team that inquired about acquiring Cutler.

And then McDaniels made a point of emphasis: "We don't want to trade Jay. We never did. He's our quarterback. We're excited about this season. And excited about what we're doing here in free agency to
Denver Broncos draft picks Jay Cutler, left, and Tony Scheffler shake hands in 2006 after being chosen. Cutler said he talked to Scheffler about trade reports. (John Leyba, Denver Post file photo )
improve our team."

Cassel was instead traded Saturday to the Kansas City Chiefs in exchange for the No. 34 overall pick in the upcoming draft.

"I play for teammates"

Nevertheless, Cutler was shaken that his team entertained moving him, and he doesn't believe such a possibility is dead.

"I'm upset. I mean I'm really shocked at this point," he said. "I could see why they want Cassel. I don't know if they think I can't run the system or I don't have the skills for it. I just don't get it. Or if they don't think they can sign me with my next contract. I just don't know what it is. I've heard I'm still on the trading block."

Cutler has three years left on the six-year contract he signed before his rookie season. He earned his first trip to the Pro Bowl last season and finished third in the NFL in passing yardage.

Cutler said Broncos officials denied they were trying to trade him, in a conversation with his agent, Bus Cook. Cutler added that after the proposed deal spread through the Internet, the team cut off communication with Cook.

Owner Pat Bowlen could not be reached for comment.

If Cutler is not traded, can his situation be mended? Cutler took a long pause before answering.

"Anything can be mended," he said. "I'll always play with the guys we've got. I love playing for those guys. Obviously, Josh and I's relationship has taken a few steps backward. I don't play for the coaches anyway; I play for teammates. As long as we keep the
() sp23BroncsRaiders23p Denver Broncos Jay Cutler (6) walks off the field after their 31 - 10 loss vs the Oakland Raiders at Invesco Field at Mile High in Denver. Joe Amon/ The Denver Post (THE DENVER POST | Joe Amon)
guys we've got, I'll go out there and play. I love those guys."

Cutler said he had spoken with teammates Brandon Marshall, Brandon Stokley, Tony Scheffler and Casey Wiegmann, among others, about his trade.

"I know they love playing for me, and I love playing for them," Cutler said. "There's going to be a lot of problems if they try to trade me. Well, they've already tried to trade me, but if they trade me for sure."

Adjusting to change

Why would the Broncos entertain trading away the one player they built their team around? As Cutler alluded to, one reason may be the new offensive system McDaniels is bringing with him from New England.

The terminology McDaniels uses is significantly different from the West Coast playbook Mike Shanahan used the previous 14 years in Denver. It's as different as numbers and letters.

The Patriots' offensive system asks its quarterback to make a lot of pre-snap adjustments at the line of scrimmage. The system also includes series of intricately designed pass patterns.

"We were always making adjustments on the sidelines," Patriots receiver Wes Welker said during Super Bowl week. "As players, you have to be smart enough to understand how to get the adjustments. If you're not smart enough, you're going to have a hard time."

It's not that Cutler, who attended Vanderbilt University, and the Broncos' current stable of receivers aren't smart enough so much as the complicated system may require more time to learn than other offenses.

Its sophistication may be partly why it works — the Pats set an NFL record in 2007 by scoring 589 points, and they still went 11-5 last season despite losing superstar quarterback Tom Brady to a knee injury in the first quarter of the first game.

Ultimately, McDaniels believed Cutler will flourish in his new system. Cutler is a first-round talent. He was picked No. 11 overall in the 2006 draft, and it's universally agreed he's outplayed Vince Young, the No. 3 overall pick, and Matt Leinart, who was selected at No. 10.

Mike Klis: 303-954-1055 or mklis@denverpost.com

Roller-coaster ride

Highs and lows for Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler after three seasons in the NFL:

HIGHS

First player in Broncos history to begin his career with the team by throwing a touchdown pass in each of his first nine games.

Passed for the most yards in a season in team history with 4,526 in 2008. Also owns the franchise record for most completions in a season (384), most attempts in a season (616) and most 300-yard passing games in a season (eight).

LOWS

Could not lead the Broncos to one division- clinching victory in the final three games of the 2008 season.

Threw 18 interceptions in 2008, including two in the deciding final game of the season against the San Diego Chargers.

Despite impressive stats, no playoff appearances since he took over as a starter in late 2006.

Jay Cutler's NFL statistics

A look at the quarterback's passing numbers, all with the Broncos:

Year G Att Comp Pct Att/G Yds Avg Yds/G TD Int
2008 16 616 384 62.3 38.5 4,526 7.3 282.9 25 18
2007 16 467 297 63.6 29.2 3,497 7.5 218.6 20 14
2006 5 137 81 59.1 27.4 1,001 7.3 200.2 9 5
Totals 37 1,220 762 62.5 33.0 9,024 7.4 243.9 54 37

fcspikeit
03-01-2009, 09:14 AM

A frustrated Jay Cutler said he believes his days in Denver are numbered, and he feels betrayed.

"My understanding at this point is they're trying to trade me," Cutler said Saturday. "We'll see where I end up at. I liked it here, I liked playing with these guys, but obviously they're not going to let me have that opportunity."

A proposed deal had Tampa Bay trying to acquire Cutler in exchange for a first-round draft pick. In turn, the Broncos would have traded the first-round pick to New England in exchange for quarterback Matt Cassel.

Broncos head coach Josh McDaniels was the Patriots' offensive coordinator last season when he helped guide Cassel, a career-long backup, to an 11-5 record and 89.4 passer rating that ranked 10th in the league.

McDaniels said the team is not trying to trade Cutler.

Cutler is skeptical.

"What bothers me about this is I've been dropping in there regularly the last 2 1/2 weeks, dealing with these guys, talking to Mr. Bowlen, talking to Josh, talking to (offensive coordinator) Mike McCoy," Cutler said. "Day to day . . . and they didn't reach this point yesterday, you know what I mean? It's been in motion for a while."

Reflecting, Cutler said he thought some of the Broncos officials "were acting strange" around him.

It may be important to note, Tampa Bay initiated the deal. And it wasn't the only team that inquired about acquiring Cutler.

And then McDaniels made a point of emphasis: "We don't want to trade Jay. We never did. He's our quarterback. We're excited about this season. And excited about what we're doing here in free agency to
Denver Broncos draft picks Jay Cutler, left, and Tony Scheffler shake hands in 2006 after being chosen. Cutler said he talked to Scheffler about trade reports. (John Leyba, Denver Post file photo )
improve our team."

"I play for teammates"

Nevertheless, Cutler was shaken that his team entertained moving him, and he doesn't believe such a possibility is dead.

Cutler has three years left on the six-year contract he signed before his rookie season. He earned his first trip to the Pro Bowl last season and finished third in the NFL in passing yardage.

Cutler said Broncos officials denied they were trying to trade him, in a conversation with his agent, Bus Cook. Cutler added that after the proposed deal spread through the Internet, the team cut off communication with Cook.

If Cutler is not traded, can his situation be mended? Cutler took a long pause before answering.

"Anything can be mended," he said. "I'll always play with the guys we've got. I love playing for those guys. Obviously, Josh and I's relationship has taken a few steps backward. I don't play for the coaches anyway; I play for teammates. As long as we keep the
() sp23BroncsRaiders23p Denver Broncos Jay Cutler (6) walks off the field after their 31 - 10 loss vs the Oakland Raiders at Invesco Field at Mile High in Denver. Joe Amon/ The Denver Post (THE DENVER POST | Joe Amon)
guys we've got, I'll go out there and play. I love those guys."

"I know they love playing for me, and I love playing for them," Cutler said. "There's going to be a lot of problems if they try to trade me. Well, they've already tried to trade me, but if they trade me for sure."

Adjusting to change

Why would the Broncos entertain trading away the one player they built their team around? As Cutler alluded to, one reason may be the new offensive system McDaniels is bringing with him from New England.

The terminology McDaniels uses is significantly different from the West Coast playbook Mike Shanahan used the previous 14 years in Denver. It's as different as numbers and letters.

The Patriots' offensive system asks its quarterback to make a lot of pre-snap adjustments at the line of scrimmage. The system also includes series of intricately designed pass patterns.

"We were always making adjustments on the sidelines," Patriots receiver Wes Welker said during Super Bowl week. "As players, you have to be smart enough to understand how to get the adjustments. If you're not smart enough, you're going to have a hard time."

It's not that Cutler, who attended Vanderbilt University, and the Broncos' current stable of receivers aren't smart enough so much as the complicated system may require more time to learn than other offenses.

Its sophistication may be partly why it works — the Pats set an NFL record in 2007 by scoring 589 points, and they still went 11-5 last season despite losing superstar quarterback Tom Brady to a knee injury in the first quarter of the first game.

Ultimately, McDaniels believed Cutler will flourish in his new system. Cutler is a first-round talent. He was picked No. 11 overall in the 2006 draft, and it's universally agreed he's outplayed Vince Young, the No. 3 overall pick, and Matt Leinart, who was selected at No. 10.

Mike Klis: 303-954-1055 or mklis@denverpost.com

Roller-coaster ride

Highs and lows for Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler after three seasons in the NFL:

HIGHS

First player in Broncos history to begin his career with the team by throwing a touchdown pass in each of his first nine games.

Passed for the most yards in a season in team history with 4,526 in 2008. Also owns the franchise record for most completions in a season (384), most attempts in a season (616) and most 300-yard passing games in a season (eight).

LOWS

Could not lead the Broncos to one division- clinching victory in the final three games of the 2008 season.

Threw 18 interceptions in 2008, including two in the deciding final game of the season against the San Diego Chargers.

Despite impressive stats, no playoff appearances since he took over as a starter in late 2006.

Jay Cutler's NFL statistics

A look at the quarterback's passing numbers, all with the Broncos:

Year G Att Comp Pct Att/G Yds Avg Yds/G TD Int
2008 16 616 384 62.3 38.5 4,526 7.3 282.9 25 18
2007 16 467 297 63.6 29.2 3,497 7.5 218.6 20 14
2006 5 137 81 59.1 27.4 1,001 7.3 200.2 9 5
Totals 37 1,220 762 62.5 33.0 9,024 7.4 243.9 54 37

Cutler isn't dumb, he knows rather or not Mckid was trying to trade him.. This is all pretty sad, It pisses me off to no end!

Mckid is looking like a classless punk... I don't want a guy who treads our players like this on our team.. Seriously, Winning a Super Bowl wouldn't be good enough to make up for this, he better start kissing some ass or I want him kicked out of Denver..

Pat where are you? Get this little ******* under control!

MOtorboat
03-01-2009, 09:19 AM
Pat where are you? Get this little ******* under control!

Really? Are you sure?

Josh McDaniels

We don't want to trade Jay. We never did. He's our quarterback. We're excited about this season. And excited about what we're doing here in free agency to improve our team.

Brian Xanders

We are not trying to trade Jay Cutler. We will not trade Jay Cutler. He's a Pro Bowl Quarterback. You can ask Josh McDaniels, and he'll tell you the same thing.

Bus Cook

"I heard the rumors like everybody else, and I placed a call to the Broncos. I just got a return call. They just told me that only inquiries were being made.

Sounds to me like someone else might be the drama queen and the punk...

BeefStew25
03-01-2009, 09:21 AM
At best this was a huge bungle by the front office by not controlling the message. At worst, they are caught with their pants down trying to move Cutty.

lex
03-01-2009, 09:28 AM
Really? Are you sure?

Josh McDaniels

Brian Xanders

Bus Cook

Not believing their self-serving statements, is not being a drama queen or a punk. Those statements have no value. What else would they say?

Rex
03-01-2009, 09:31 AM
Empty.

Kinda like how the MLB denies that it purposely screws the Cubs with scheduling.

MOtorboat
03-01-2009, 09:36 AM
Not believing their self-serving statements, is not being a drama queen or a punk. Those statements have no value. What else would they say?

So...we're to believe the speculation from ESPN now more than the statements from the front office? I'd never thought I would see this day.

BeefStew25
03-01-2009, 09:39 AM
So...we're to believe the speculation from ESPN now more than the statements from the front office? I'd never thought I would see this day.

Willow, what is the front office supposed to say? They got caught in an alley humping a fat hooker. First rule: Deny, deny, deny.

MOtorboat
03-01-2009, 09:40 AM
Willow, what is the front office supposed to say? They got caught in an alley humping a fat hooker. First rule: Deny, deny, deny.

How? How can they stop the Lions and Bucs from calling and inquiring?

BeefStew25
03-01-2009, 09:41 AM

They ****ing hang up the phone and get in front of this before it became what it did.

claymore
03-01-2009, 09:41 AM

Saying "Prank Call" and hanging up.

fcspikeit
03-01-2009, 09:50 AM
They ****ing hang up the phone and get in front of this before it became what it did.

Cutler said he knew something was up the last couple weeks by the way they were acting around him... He suspected this before the rumores even came out, now people who are supposedly on the inside is saying Cutler was gone had Cassel not been traded to the Chiefs..

There is way to much here to just ignore, with this much smoke there has to be fire!

lex
03-01-2009, 09:53 AM

Again, the comments from the front office are self serving and therefore should be viewed with a measure of skepticism and thats independent of anything E!SPN says.

lex
03-01-2009, 09:54 AM

Why would so many teams come sniffing around unless they had a reason?

elsid13
03-01-2009, 09:55 AM
Cutler said he knew something was up the last couple weeks by the way they were acting around him... He suspected this before the rumores even came out, now people who are supposedly on the inside is saying Cutler was gone had Cassel not been traded to the Chiefs..

There is way to much here to just ignore, with this much smoke there has to be fire!

Were did you hear this? Was this around the time Goodmans got fired?

Broncogator
03-01-2009, 09:55 AM
Empty.

Kinda like how the MLB denies that it purposely screws the Cubs with scheduling.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y13/broncogator/busch-stadium-in-the-snow-2.jpg

:coffee:

Dreadnought
03-01-2009, 09:57 AM

Exactly.

Point 1 - Maybe Shanny's Dove Valley "Cone of Silence" was there for a flipping reason.

Point 2 - I would expect the assistant manager of a Taco Bell to have enough savvy to have reacted to this with more competence than our new front office - leading to

Point 3 - if the rumors were bogus, they needed to be far more proactive than they were, and that includes first and foremost keeping their players in the damned loop, because the process of building trust and credibility starts now. What we saw is the exact opposite of leadership - or

Point 4 - if the rumors were true then they are imbeciles beyond our wildest and worst imaginings. If so we can count on a new rebuilding program to begin in a few years after a wonderfully fun offense has been gutted while the defense isn't fixed on top of it. Even Mike Brown isn't stupid enough to have even considered this deal, and thats saying something.

Northman
03-01-2009, 10:03 AM

:lol::lol:

Classic!

fcspikeit
03-01-2009, 10:15 AM
Were did you hear this? Was this around the time Goodmans got fired?

Reflecting, Cutler said he thought some of the Broncos officials "were acting strange" around him."

http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=569629&postcount=87

Den21vsBal19
03-01-2009, 10:17 AM

Yeah, that line really caught my eye........................it's not as if this story was posted early doors, Pat's had plenty of time by this point to get some rumour control in place...................

You know, we've got enough holes at the moment that if they'd been talking about a Herschel Walker-esque trade (I believe the Cowboys got something like 13 players/picks over a couple of seasons) then I could almost understand it, but for what in effect would be Cassel & a 3rd......................someone needs their head examining............:mad:

BroncoJoe
03-01-2009, 10:21 AM
Has anyone considered McD may have been trying to delay Cassel going to KC so another team might make a play for him? If he knows how good Cassel is, maybe he didn't want him going to KC.

Just a thought.

MOtorboat
03-01-2009, 10:23 AM
Has anyone considered McD may have been trying to delay Cassel going to KC so another team might make a play for him? If he knows how good Cassel is, maybe he didn't want him going to KC.

Just a thought.

Considering that in most posts that I'm reading here, people think McDaniels is an idiot, I don't think anyone has considered that a possibility.

fcspikeit
03-01-2009, 10:25 AM

Just a thought.

Then why would he have been talking to teams about trading Cutler?

Wouldn't he have just traded the pick for Cassel?

elsid13
03-01-2009, 10:26 AM

Just a thought.

Consider to most media reports that only teams that thought Cassell was worth trade for were were Denver or KC, maybe Mckid is to enamored with his past.

Northman
03-01-2009, 10:28 AM

Just a thought.

Only problem with that Joe is he should of probably let Jay in on the senario so that if questioned Jay wouldnt think that the Coach was trying to deal him without his knowledge. But considering how everything has gone down it doesnt sound like that was what McD was trying to do. I hope it was but he really dropped the ball on how he handled it.

JONtheBRONCO
03-01-2009, 10:35 AM
The Lions are expected to keep a "very close eye" on the Jay Cutler situation in Denver.

The Broncos adamantly denied wanting to trade Cutler Saturday, but Lions beat writer Tom Kowalski thinks he can still be had. Detroit has two first-round picks to offer, but with no QB chips it'll be a tough sell. Still, Cutler could go back on the block if the Broncos deem the situation irreparable.

Source: MLive.com

-----------------------

A source with knowledge of the situation tells Profootballtalk.com that Jay Cutler was at one point as good as "gone" during three-team trade talks that ultimately fell through Saturday

It appears Josh McDaniels wanted Matt Cassel bad and either the Lions or Bucs were ready to fork over a first-round pick plus for Cutler. Cutler's agent, Bus Cook, says the Broncos "just told me that only inquiries were being made." "Jay Cutler is pissed, no doubt about it," Cook added. "I wouldn't blame him. Cutler is the best young quarterback in the entire league."

Source: Profootballtalk.com

----------------------------------------

In addition to Jay Cutler, Denver was reportedly shopping Tony Scheffler in trade talks on Saturday.

Josh McDaniels and Brian Xanders may be in over their heads. Scheffler would make more sense to deal than Jay Cutler because he's in a contract year and might not fit the offense, but the new regime letting this info get out can only be bad. Scheffler and Cutler are also close friends and roommates. McDaniels and Xanders are going to have to do damage control all spring.

Source: CBS4 Denver

----------------------------

Yeah, **** you McDaniels. **** you too Pat.

Traveler
03-01-2009, 10:38 AM
Is this the big announcement Blue Run was speaking of?:D

Den21vsBal19
03-01-2009, 10:42 AM

Just a thought.
Very Machivellian :D

jrelway
03-01-2009, 10:50 AM
this crap is almost as bad ass reeves drafting tommy maddox.

elsid13
03-01-2009, 10:51 AM
this crap is almost as bad ass reeves drafting tommy maddox.

It worse, at least reeves had "his" guy in hand before he attempted a trade.

JONtheBRONCO
03-01-2009, 11:14 AM
People, have your opinions, regardless of where you stand. Jay needs to grow up, Josh McDaniels, Brian Xanders, and Pat Bowlen are ******* Idiots (my opinion) or whatever.

Are they rumors? Maybe. Did they ACTUALLY try and trade Jay? Maybe. Did they entertain offers? Maybe. Or did they just listen, and quickly turn them down? Maybe. Who's right, who is wrong? Who knows.

Regardless of the speculation or anyone's interpretations, Dove Valley is going to be full of OC gossip and Real World drama. Someting us Bronco fans are used to hearing about the Cowboys or Brett Favre, not our beloved Broncos. Are we hurt by this? A lot of us are, but however we feel, it's Jay Cutler's mind set that matters the most. Put yourself in his shoes ladies and gentleman. Your head coach gets fired, you move on, your good friend is let go as offensive coordinator, you move on, you understand the NFL is a business and you move on.

You spend the next 3 weeks warming yourself to the new regime, coaches, and front office, and get a lot of support doing so. You have phone conversations, meetings, and dinners with the new sheriff of the Mile High City McKid, and things are starting to fall into place. Good deal.

Then, out of the blue, the orange and blue might be stripped from your sides. Trade talks that involve you hit the media waves and suddenly you feel all the trust you were starting to build, sails into the thin air in Denver. Matt Cassel? A first round pick? Not so fast. Jay Cutler is hurt, and regardless of his personality or ego, he has the right to question the front office and the business... Anyone here would feel the same way.

Even if he is boyish, has a bad haircut, and acts like he is a spoiled kid on Christmas day sometimes, I bet no one here would rather have another QB at helm. We aren't blind, neither is the league, EVERYONE has seen this kids potential, and sometimes are amazed by his laser, rocket arm. Personally, I am pissed. I felt firing Shanahan was a mistake. But I put trust in McKid and Pat Bowlen. First term report cards are out, and Patty and Josh get F's. I was expecting more out of these two, and both of them have let Bronco Nation down. Pat better rebound, because he losing it. Josh better mend fences pretty quickly, because he is running out of nails. Jay Cutler is at home, so are his Bronco teammates, all of them wanting answers. So do we. And McKid and Patty better give it to all of us quick, because everyone wants to win and 1998 was a long time ago. Trading or entertaining offers for the face of a franchise isn't the way to win, it's a way to create chaos and it's starting to spread like wild fires. We can only hope this is resolved ASAP, other wise Bronco buddies, it is going to be a natural disaster is Dove Valley.

Northman
03-01-2009, 11:17 AM
People, have your opinions, regardless of where you stand. Jay needs to grow up, Josh McDaniels, Brian Xanders, and Pat Bowlen are ******* Idiots (my opinion) or whatever.

Are they rumors? Maybe. Did they ACTUALLY try and trade Jay? Maybe. Did they entertain offers? Maybe. Or did they just listen, and quickly turn them down? Maybe. Who's right, who is wrong? Who knows.

Regardless of the speculation or anyone's interpretations, Dove Valley is going to be full of OC gossip and Real World drama. Someting us Bronco fans are used to hearing about the Cowboys or Brett Favre, not our beloved Broncos. Are we hurt by this? A lot of us are, but however we feel, it's Jay Cutler's mind set that matters the most. Put yourself in his shoes ladies and gentleman. Your head coach gets fired, you move on, your good friend is let go as offensive coordinator, you move on, you understand the NFL is a business and you move on.

You spend the next 3 weeks warming yourself to the new regime, coaches, and front office, and get a lot of support doing so. You have phone conversations, meetings, and dinners with the new sheriff of the Mile High City McKid, and things are starting to fall into place. Good deal.

Then, out of the blue, the orange and blue might be stripped from your sides. Trade talks that involve you hit the media waves and suddenly you feel all the trust you were starting to build, sails into the thick air in Denver. Matt Cassel? A first round pick? Not so fast. Jay Cutler is hurt, and regardless of his personality or ego, he has the right to question the front office and the business... Anyone here would feel the same way.

Even if he is boyish, has a bad haircut, and acts like he is a spoiled kid on Christmas day sometimes, I bet no one here would rather have another QB at helm. We aren't blind, neither is the league, EVERYONE has seen this kids potential, and sometimes are amazed by his laser, rocket arm. Personally, I am pissed. I felt firing Shanahan was a mistake. But I put trust in McKid and Pat Bowlen. First term report cards are out, and Patty and Josh get F's. I was expecting more out of these two, and both of them have let Bronco Nation down. Pat better rebound, because he losing it. Josh better mend fences pretty quickly, because he is running out of nails. Jay Cutler is at home, so are his Bronco teammates, all of them wanting answers. So do we. And McKid and Patty better give it to all of us quick, because everyone wants to win and 1998 was a long time ago. Trading or entertaining offers for the face of a franchise isn't the way to win, it's a way to create chaos and it's starting to spread like wild fires. We can only hope this is resolved ASAP, other wise Bronco buddies, it is going to be a natural disaster is Dove Valley.

Well said, i just made a new thread about this very thing. :beer:

BroncoJoe
03-01-2009, 11:18 AM
... Trade talks that involve you hit the media waves and suddenly you feel all the trust you were starting to build, sails into the thick air in Denver. Matt Cassel? ...

Denver has thin air.

Nice post, though.

BeefStew25
03-01-2009, 11:19 AM
Denver has thin air.

Nice post, though.

Joe I think it is funny air and hair rhyme.

And how for some they both are thin in Denver.

JONtheBRONCO
03-01-2009, 11:19 AM
Denver has thin air.

Nice post, though.

Shit.

tomjonesrocks
03-01-2009, 11:23 AM
With these reports it's hard to imagine Cutler returning, and we'll probably get poor value for him in these circumstances as well as teams know the team is just looking to put a fire out. This is a unmitigated disaster. They all but have to trade Cutler now because if they don't this fiasco will linger all the way through camp and beyond.

This really is the most disturbing thing I can remember since the Elway/Reeves fiasco--at least Bowlen that time ultimately did the right thing. Bowlen had to have known in this case though. Bowlen's not getting enough blame right now.

Dreadnought
03-01-2009, 11:28 AM

Then, out of the blue, the orange and blue might be stripped from your sides. Trade talks that involve you hit the media waves and suddenly you feel all the trust you were starting to build, sails into the thin air in Denver. Matt Cassel? A first round pick? Not so fast. Jay Cutler is hurt, and regardless of his personality or ego, he has the right to question the front office and the business... Anyone here would feel the same way.

Brilliant :salute:

BroncoJoe
03-01-2009, 11:29 AM
Joe I think it is funny air and hair rhyme.

And how for some they both are thin in Denver.

Very true, Bief.

Chris90210
03-01-2009, 11:41 AM
good to see the off season is going well:tsk:

atwater27
03-01-2009, 01:05 PM

I never played for my coaches. I played for myself and my teammates.

BroncoTech
03-01-2009, 01:08 PM
I don't know what relationship Mckid had with Billychuck but I bet he liked Pioli a bit better. If I was one of the great strategic minds in the NFL and one of my future up-and-comings was running off with the franchise secrets I might perform a proper baptism 'welcome to the NFL' myself.

Hmmm, how can I send a good quarterback to a divisional rival and destroy the relationship between the latest turn-coat who left and his franchise quarterback?

I think what you guys are missing is Billichuck just gave Mckid a journeyman education about how robbing the team you came from might have repercussions you might not like. And if you're putting it all on the line you better at least land what you want if you intend to look credible. Now anyone care to guess who might have leaked these trade talks?

Also that above art work is certainly copyright Lisa Frank, I doubt she knows you're using it.

SoCalImport
03-01-2009, 01:16 PM
"Anything can be mended," he said. "I'll always play with the guys we've got. I love playing for those guys. Obviously, Josh and I's relationship has taken a few steps backward. I don't play for the coaches anyway, I play for teammates. As long as we keep the guys we've got I'll go out there and play. I love those guys."

"I know they love playing for me and I love playing for them," Cutler said. "There's going to be a lot of problems if they try to trade me. Well, they've already tried to trade me, but if they trade me for sure."

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_11809351

A case of verbal diarrhea if ever there was one. Just because you think something doesn't mean you have to say it....into a microphone :confused:

Poet
03-01-2009, 01:21 PM
I really do loathe Brett Farve, but he has a quote which sums up how much power you really have in the NFL as a player.

"When I saw that Joe Montana got traded, I knew that it could happen to me."

Is trading Jay Cutler off the table? No, it never is. No player is ever so valued that he would not be traded. If some team decided to give up all their draft picks this year and next for Peyton Manning, Manning would have a new home. Some players are so valued and so great that the amount of value their team would need for them almost dictates them to be "untouchable", but it's still possible.

G Money said it best with his line about laughing at the other guy and calling Jay Cutler to share a laugh. But the more Jay Cutler talks, the more it shows that he is an ass. Yes, he is a stud QB, and he is also immature.

Look at the reality of the situation; you're Jay Cutler and he's friggin Matt Cassel. People question your ability to read defenses. Everyone else questions Matt's ability to throw the ball to players not named Randy Moss and Wes Welker.

The trade would have to be something like "we give you Cassel, our first, maybe if they get lucky they can convince you to swap places, a pile of gold, the GM's first born child, their second rounder, and a magical flying carpet," for this to happen.

Cutler is a relatively proven commodity, Cassel is a player that I'll be drafting in FF and trading for RB depth. :lol:

Northman
03-01-2009, 01:29 PM
Actually, Cutler was great for me in FF last year. lmao

Poet
03-01-2009, 01:31 PM
Actually, Cutler was great for me in FF last year. lmao

I couldn't get him in the rounder I wanted. Then all my wide receivers tore their acl's or destroyed their hands. :tsk:

Northman
03-01-2009, 01:32 PM
I couldn't get him in the rounder I wanted. Then all my wide receivers tore their acl's or destroyed their hands. :tsk:

Ouch, thats ok. My defense made Denver look like the 85' Bears. :lol:

Poet
03-01-2009, 01:33 PM
Ouch, thats ok. My defense made Denver look like the 85' Bears. :lol:

Yeah, I feel you on that one.

Oh well, Cutler>Cassel.

NEXT!!!!!!!!!

omac
03-01-2009, 02:59 PM

I never played for my coaches. I played for myself and my teammates.

That's the whole point, isn't it? Jay was trying to build a relationship with McD, but McD was not honest in his intentions for Jay, or more to the fact, his intent to bring in his guy from the Pats to replace Jay.

The good players will play for their teammates if they can't play for their coach. They'll give themselves reasons to play their best, even if their coach might be causing problems.

Poet
03-01-2009, 03:00 PM
That's the whole point, isn't it? Jay was trying to build a relationship with McD, but McD was not honest in his intentions for Jay, or more to the fact, his intent to bring in his guy from the Pats to replace Jay.

The good players will play for their teammates if they can't play for their coach. They'll give themselves reasons to play their best, even if their coach might be causing problems.

If he never played for his coaches, and his head coach was Shanny, who he reportedly liked and got along with, then I don't think it's a big deal.

shank
03-01-2009, 03:08 PM
players play for a coach when the coach earns it. McD may have just ensured that many of his players will never play 'for' him.

Lonestar
03-01-2009, 03:20 PM
Really? Are you sure?

Josh McDaniels

Brian Xanders

Bus Cook

Hmmmmmmmm have to wonder who is trying to sell newspaper and TV ad spots..

I think your right here cutler is THE drama queen still pissed that mikey is gone and then his "mentor" bates.. Does not want change in his life with the
new system that has rocked in the football world the past 8 years..

Do I think that offers were made to DEN absolutely, were they considered I'm guessing they were talked about.. Any NEW FO group would have to listen..

Do I think anyone from our FO solicited them? NO I do not think anyone in DEN made the calls to SET and TPA...

Time for everyone at Dove Valley to set down and give group hugs..

Time for the klis of the world to stop yellow journalism.. A few months ago NO ONE thought klis could put together two consecutive coherent Bronco thoughts together!! Why are they listening now?..

Bozo Jr.
03-01-2009, 04:04 PM
This is all a bunch of B.S. McKid shouldn't have tried to trade Cutty, and Cutty needs to keep his mouth shut with the media. It's obvious to me that Jay went to the media to try to embarrass McKid, but what he didn't realize is that it also embarrasses the team and the fans.

shank
03-01-2009, 04:07 PM
i really wouldn't mind seeing some statements from other broncos' players in support of jay

Bozo Jr.
03-01-2009, 04:08 PM

Huh? Not really. Remember he wasn't available when coach tried to contact him during his vacation. Do you think Elway would have pulled that crap. Not in a million years. Grow up Jay!

elsid13
03-01-2009, 04:20 PM
Huh? Not really. Remember he wasn't available when coach tried to contact him during his vacation. Do you think Elway would have pulled that crap. Not in a million years. Grow up Jay!

Since he been at Dove Valley for the last month meeting with coaches, when he didn't have to that pretty much tells me that he is more then professional.

BroncoWave
03-01-2009, 04:28 PM
So is "Josh vs. Jay" the new "Jay vs. Jake" on the boards now? :D

Because I'm not gonna lie, it makes these boards a lot more fun when the fanbase is up in arms like this!

Bozo Jr.
03-01-2009, 04:37 PM
Since he been at Dove Valley for the last month meeting with coaches, when he didn't have to that pretty much tells me that he is more then professional.

Professionals, or I should say, "Broncos" do not go to the media to start a fued. That's like the little kid who tells the teacher the other kids are drawing naughty pictures on the playground.

omac
03-01-2009, 04:38 PM

Actually, no, that was already covered in several threads, and articles pertaining to it. Just check out the forums about that.

Jay works hard in the offseason, has great rapport with his teammates and coaches (at least former ones), doesn't get into off-field problems, works with kids and charities, and is an upstanding citizen. When you read about him starting for the worst football school in one of the most powerful divisions in college football, then emerging as the best offensive player in that division, that all screams character.

He has not flipped off fans, road raged on anyone, disrespected his former coaches by saying he can kiss his ass or that he smiled when he was fired, and he doesn't quit when he doesn't get his way. He doesn't complain when coaches shout at him. He does not miss practices and say he only plays during gametime. He has not thrown a lump of snow into fans. He was not caught illegally brandishing a firearm. He has not punched an NFL player in Vegas. He's not involved in a dogfighting business. He has not spit his drink at a female in a a bar. He has not changed his name to Seis. He doesn't even have lavish TD celebrations.

So he's pretty candid with the press; he should control that.

I'd say he's more grown up than some people here would like to admit. :coffee:

BroncoWave
03-01-2009, 04:48 PM
Actually, no, that was already covered in several threads, and articles pertaining to it. Just check out the forums about that.

Jay works hard in the offseason, has great rapport with his teammates and coaches (at least former ones), doesn't get into off-field problems, works with kids and charities, and is an upstanding citizen. When you read about him starting for the worst football school in one of the most powerful divisions in college football, then emerging as the best offensive player in that division, that all screams character.

He has not flipped off fans, road raged on anyone, disrespected his former coaches by saying he can kiss his ass or that he smiled when he was fired, and he doesn't quit when he doesn't get his way. He doesn't complain when coaches shout at him. He does not miss practices and say he only plays during gametime. He has not thrown a lump of snow into fans. He was not caught illegally brandishing a firearm. He has not punched an NFL player in Vegas. He's not involved in a dogfighting business. He has not spit his drink at a female in a a bar. He has not changed his name to Seis. He doesn't even have lavish TD celebrations.

So he's pretty candid with the press; he should control that.

I'd say he's more grown up than some people here would like to admit. :coffee:

You HAVE to hold your QB to a higher standard, though. The QB HAS to be the most mature player on the team. Most of the things you listed above were done by WR's or Pacman. The 2 QB's you referenced (Vick and Plummer) were both out of the league soon after said occurences. Just look at some of the other young QB's in the league. You didn't see Eli Manning whining when things were going bad for the Giants a few years back. You didn't see Big Ben complain when Pit made a coaching change so early in his career. Matt Schaub and Matt Cassel both handled it like pros when they had to sit behind star QB's early in their careers. And also, if you look at other young QB's with maturity problems (Leinart, VY) they aren't even starting for their teams anymore. Also, if you look in the past, history didn't bode to greatly for young immature QB's like Jeff George or Ryan Leaf either.

History shows that if your QB is too arrogant or immature, chances are he's not going to last long in the league playing at a high level.

Poet
03-01-2009, 04:49 PM

Because I'm not gonna lie, it makes these boards a lot more fun when the fanbase is up in arms like this!

I don't even root for the Broncos and I wanna punch someone!!!!!!!

Message Board members, I want a good clean fight. No low blows (calling each other Chargers, Raiders, or Chief fans), no cheap shots (calling some bandwagon), and no trolling.

Let's get it on.

elsid13
03-01-2009, 04:53 PM
Professionals, or I should say, "Broncos" do not go to the media to start a fued. That's like the little kid who tells the teacher the other kids are drawing naughty pictures on the playground.

Let get the timing straight.

Schefter calls Jay and ask him for his reaction on the potential trade. Cutler say doesn't know anything about a trade

Cutler calls his agent (Cook) and request that Cook find out what going on. Good call if he pissed off, because he put someone calm in front to handle this

Cook can not get anyone to talk to him

Schefter reports on NFL Channel what going on. Local and National Media start scrambling to cover the story calling everyone and anyone.

Dove Valley is in lock down and won't answer any questions on this.

CBS4 get ahold of Jay for comment ~ he answer thier question, like he aways does from his viewpoint. No PC statement from Cutler, just the way he see shit. Reports are published and Internet frenzy has started.

Cutler is calling his teammates and is pissed about this. Felt that he had good working relationship with McKid and that they were going to work good together. Feels betrayed.

Cook get a phone message back that was just inquiries.

More stories start appearing about Minn, Det, and TB. More calls to Dove Valley nothing, reporters are able to get a hold of Cutler. He continue to answer the questions. Other players are also fielding questions and most are in shock and pissed. (SEE FOX 31, CBS and Post for their reactions.)

Xander finally make a statement to the Post. Stating that Cutler is the Man and isn't going anywhere. Say talk to McDaniels. McDaniels refuse to say anything to the DP.

McDaniels final a couple hours later say it wasn't anything.

ESPN provide more information about trade via KC and NE sources and more rumors start that McDaniels wanted this happen and Xander told him to stop being stupid.

At what point does Cutler actively go to the press to start a "feud"? This mismanagement by McDaniels and FO not Cutler.

BigCurly1230
03-01-2009, 04:55 PM
WOW.....

I thought this stuff was going to start dying down today....however I was wrong.

Minnesota radio is reporting trade talks are still going on involving the Vikes and Cutty.

Said they are offering TJack, Chester Taylor and a 2nd round draft pick for Cutler.

elsid13
03-01-2009, 04:56 PM
WOW.....

I thought this stuff was going to start dying down today....however I was wrong.

Minnesota radio is reporting trade talks are still going on involving the Vikes and Cutty.

Said they are offering TJack, Chester Taylor and a 2nd round draft pick for Cutler.

The really must think we are idiots.

BigCurly1230
03-01-2009, 05:00 PM
Take it for what its worth....

I have a buddy that's a huge vikings fan....his source told him about the Jared Allen trade 2 weeks in advance...
My buddy just contacted him and the source confirmed....
Said we are considering.

He said Mike Florio from PFT is on Minnesota radio right now talking about it

BroncoWave
03-01-2009, 05:00 PM
The really must think we are idiots.

Seriously. Minnesota's front office has brain damage if they think that is even close to a fair offer.

shank
03-01-2009, 05:01 PM
Seriously. Minnesota's front office has brain damage if they think that is even close to a fair offer.

McIdiot considered cassel for cutler man... he'll probably tell Minn that they are offering too much and can keep the 2nd rounder:mad:

elsid13
03-01-2009, 05:02 PM
Take it for what its worth....

I have a buddy that's a huge vikings fan....his source told him about the Jared Allen trade 2 weeks in advance...
My buddy just contacted him and the source confirmed....
Said we are considering.

He said Mike Florio from PFT is on Minnesota radio right now talking about it

I'm taking it for gain of salt. I also posted in on the mane, hope you don't mind trying to see if anyone else can confirm it.

BroncoWave
03-01-2009, 05:04 PM
McIdiot considered cassel for cutler man... he'll probably tell Minn that they are offering too much and can keep the 2nd rounder:mad:

At least with Cassel we would have had someone who is familiar with and has had success in McD's system. That was a great offer compared to that crap Minnesota is rumored to have offered.

BigCurly1230
03-01-2009, 05:04 PM
I'm taking it for gain of salt. I also posted in on the mane, hope you don't mind trying to see if anyone else can confirm it.

Dont mind at all....

its a sad day Bronco fans....

my guys source also clued him in on the smoot deal before it happened....

if it had no validity , I wouldn't have opened my mouth

BigCurly1230
03-01-2009, 05:06 PM
hopefully our new front office is not this dumb

BigCurly1230
03-01-2009, 05:10 PM
my guy just clarified that his source said that is the offer.....

not that it's going to happen for sure....

Florio probably will be posting it soon

shank
03-01-2009, 05:12 PM
if cutler 'doesn't fit mcshithead's system' then how the hell would jackson be enticing?

BroncoWave
03-01-2009, 05:13 PM
Hell maybe if this situation really is irreparable and they really are trying to deal Cutler right now, maybe we can get a bidding war started and get someone to offer us something totally unreasonable for him. Now like I've said, I'd rather we not trade him, but if we have to maybe we can get lucky and get a shitton for him.

shank
03-01-2009, 05:16 PM
the lions could give us their first 3 picks and there would still be mutiny in broncos country among fans and players alike.

dogfish
03-01-2009, 05:25 PM
WOW.....

for god's sake!

when did mike brown buy out the broncos???

:noidea:

omac
03-01-2009, 05:27 PM
You HAVE to hold your QB to a higher standard, though. The QB HAS to be the most mature player on the team. Most of the things you listed above were done by WR's or Pacman. The 2 QB's you referenced (Vick and Plummer) were both out of the league soon after said occurences. Just look at some of the other young QB's in the league. You didn't see Eli Manning whining when things were going bad for the Giants a few years back. You didn't see Big Ben complain when Pit made a coaching change so early in his career. Matt Schaub and Matt Cassel both handled it like pros when they had to sit behind star QB's early in their careers. And also, if you look at other young QB's with maturity problems (Leinart, VY) they aren't even starting for their teams anymore. Also, if you look in the past, history didn't bode to greatly for young immature QB's like Jeff George or Ryan Leaf either.

History shows that if your QB is too arrogant or immature, chances are he's not going to last long in the league playing at a high level.

This QB is pretty mature, definitely more mature than his years. Didn't Jake's flipping off fans happened while he was still a player? Truth is, Cutler's been the glue that's been holding this defenseless team together, and it's been up to he and his offense to put in on their shoulders to make up for the team's shortcomings.

You leave out all the signs of his obvious maturity and professionalism, and instead focus on some things he says to the press; he has a stronger arm than Elway; Rivers is a douche; he was pissed that Shanahan was fired; he was shocked and disappointed that the Broncos were entertaining trade talks about him, and he isn't sure that he's off the trading block.

You'll focus on those things, yet you'll disregard the overwhelming good things.

Hey, Cutler was fine with his role as a backup to Jake; it was Jake who couldn't take being the backup, and felt he could start somewhere else. It was Jake who decided to quit football when he didn't get his way and got traded to the Bucs. It was Jake who flipped off a fan while he was still a player. And Jake was in the league for quite a few years when he did this. What, that doesn't count?

Peyton Manning threw his OL under the bus. Willie Parker complained publicly about the coaching when he felt he wasn't getting the ball enough. These are upstanding NFL citizens, but they also have their blowups. Jake had his blowups too, but he also had some good things going, like his charities. All people have blowups.

Cutler has handled himself well as a QB of Denver, and the circus of what that is. He's handled the pressure of that better than anyone since Elway, who's magically achieved sainthood, and people now have always loved him and never wanted him out. What Cutler isn't is a robot, nor a politician.

He shouldn't talk to the press as much, that is for certain.

ikillz0mbies
03-01-2009, 05:37 PM
Get me Joe Flacco or bust! Or....Tim Tebow next year...with a slew of first round picks...for the next 12901092 years.

BroncoWave
03-01-2009, 05:42 PM
This QB is pretty mature, definitely more mature than his years. Didn't Jake's flipping off fans happened while he was still a player? Truth is, Cutler's been the glue that's been holding this defenseless team together, and it's been up to he and his offense to put in on their shoulders to make up for the team's shortcomings.

You leave out all the signs of his obvious maturity and professionalism, and instead focus on some things he says to the press; he has a stronger arm than Elway; Rivers is a douche; he was pissed that Shanahan was fired; he was shocked and disappointed that the Broncos were entertaining trade talks about him, and he isn't sure that he's off the trading block.

You'll focus on those things, yet you'll disregard the overwhelming good things.

Hey, Cutler was fine with his role as a backup to Jake; it was Jake who couldn't take being the backup, and felt he could start somewhere else. It was Jake who decided to quit football when he didn't get his way and got traded to the Bucs. It was Jake who flipped off a fan while he was still a player. And Jake was in the league for quite a few years when he did this. What, that doesn't count?

Peyton Manning threw his OL under the bus. Willie Parker complained publicly about the coaching when he felt he wasn't getting the ball enough. These are upstanding NFL citizens, but they also have their blowups. Jake had his blowups too, but he also had some good things going, like his charities. All people have blowups.

Cutler has handled himself well as a QB of Denver, and the circus of what that is. He's handled the pressure of that better than anyone since Elway, who's magically achieved sainthood, and people now have always loved him and never wanted him out. What Cutler isn't is a robot, nor a politician.

He shouldn't talk to the press as much, that is for certain.

Yeah, I'm not saying that Jay's a bad guy or that he's on the same level mentally as a Leaf or a Vick, and yes he has done alot of great things on and off the field but the attitude is still something he has to work on if he wants to progress to the next level IMO.

Poet
03-01-2009, 05:44 PM
for god's sake!

when did mike brown buy out the broncos???

:noidea:

If you say his name too loudly, he will come.......

BeefStew25
03-01-2009, 05:45 PM
Yeah, I'm not saying that Jay's a bad guy or that he's on the same level mentally as a Leaf or a Vick, and yes he has done alot of great things on and off the field but the attitude is still something he has to work on if he wants to progress to the next level IMO.

I feel the same way man.

slim
03-01-2009, 05:58 PM
I blame the horsemen for this. I hope you guys are happy.

Lonestar
03-01-2009, 05:59 PM

Because I'm not gonna lie, it makes these boards a lot more fun when the fan base is REALLY stupid about stuff like this!

Edited for accuracy..

SmilinAssasSin27
03-01-2009, 06:07 PM
Tavaris Jackson is the future.

Lonestar
03-01-2009, 06:15 PM
did anyone stop to think about this for a moment..

Both Jay and more so his agent have a vested interest in blowing this thing out of proportion..

If it get untenable for him to work in DEN he gets traded and most likely and new and improved contract.. Opposed to the one with incentives he signed 3 years ago and still has three "cheap" years to go on it..

Perhaps he does stay and those incentives he got this past year like a million for going to the pro bowl, 500K for passing for more than 4000 yards .. ETC ETC ETC maybe looking at this new offense he does not have the confidence in his attaining those goal in the near future..

If he does stay this is leverage for new contract talks earlier rather than 2 years from now..

Do you think the crafty lawyer agent has not discussed this with him.. do you think cook may not have been able to contact Mc Kid and Xander for those reasons?

I still think they would be stupid to trade him unless they have something planned for getting replacement and a passel of draft choices..

Much ado about nothing time for Jay and his lawyer to calm down and the group of them get together to chat about what happened..

BroncoWave
03-01-2009, 06:18 PM
did anyone stop to think about this for a moment..

Both Jay and more so his agent have a vested interest in blowing this thing out of proportion..

If it get untenable for him to work in DEN he gets traded and most likely and new and improved contract.. Opposed to the one with incentives he signed 3 years ago and still has three "cheap" years to go on it..

Perhaps he does stay and those incentives he got this past year like a million for going to the pro bowl, 500K for passing for more than 4000 yards .. ETC ETC ETC maybe looking at this new offense he does not have the confidence in his attaining those goal in the near future..

If he does stay this is leverage for new contract talks earlier rather than 2 years from now..

Do you think the crafty lawyer agent has not discussed this with him.. do you think cook may not have been able to contact Mc Kid and Xander for those reasons?

I still think they would be stupid to trade him unless they have something planned for getting replacement and a passel of draft choices..

Much ado about nothing time for Jay and his lawyer to calm down and the group of them get together to chat about what happened..

I really hope that's what's happening right now because the silence from Dove Valley today isn't making me feel all that great.

slim
03-01-2009, 06:20 PM
I don't know what to say.

Glad I have beer.