PDA

View Full Version : Denver is the next stop for derrick ward

Denver Native (Carol)
02-28-2009, 06:51 PM
I don't know if this has been posted yet or not.

http://blogs.nbcsports.com/home/

Posted by Mike Florio: Saturday, February 28, 2009 6:23 PM
With his free-agency visit to Cincinnati completed, running back Derrick Ward is on his way to Denver, according to a league source.

Ward will meet with Broncos officials on Sunday.

He's regarded as one of the top running backs on the market, and several teams have expressed interest. His age (28) could be impacting the magnitude of any offers he has received.

DenBronx
02-28-2009, 07:03 PM
too late...we signed 2 scrubs first before we gave anyone that could actually run the rock a chance. its better to split carried with 5-7 dudes a game i guess.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-28-2009, 07:35 PM
If we sign ward too...i quit.

dogfish
02-28-2009, 07:43 PM
blech. . .

let's see if we can invest even more of our resources and energy into fixing the offense-- since that was clearly our major weakness last season. . . .

*cough*shouldahiredspagnuolo*cough*

oh crap, did i say that out loud? sorry about that. . . . :laugh:

claymore
02-28-2009, 07:45 PM
After the Cutler scare, Im open to anything.

DenBronx
02-28-2009, 07:46 PM
lol dog. seriously i think TJ is on a plane right now to come visit and we are drafting pettigrew in the first.

frauschieze
02-28-2009, 07:47 PM
lol dog. seriously i think TJ is on a plane right now to come visit and we are drafting pettigrew in the first.

:puke:

Who was it that said the offseason was boring? I wanna kick them in the teeth.

SR
03-01-2009, 12:10 AM
Why would McD waste money on a RB? He didn't even utilize Moroney when he had him in NE. Why spend big bucks on a RB we won't fully utilize? Why not spend that money on a Shaun Rogers or Chris Canty or someone we NEED?

This whole free agency shit is starting to piss me off. I don't like andra Davis. I don't like the dude we got from Indy. I like Dawkins and the other safety we grabbed. I like Buckhalter if he can stay healthy. I like Arrington as a return man and solid third down back if we hang on to him. Why WASTE money on a big name like Ward?! I just dont get it. /rant

Northman
03-01-2009, 12:11 AM
Ward or Bust.

Dean
03-01-2009, 07:44 AM
Why would McD waste money on a RB? He didn't even utilize Moroney when he had him in NE. Why spend big bucks on a RB we won't fully utilize? Why not spend that money on a Shaun Rogers or Chris Canty or someone we NEED?

This whole free agency shit is starting to piss me off. I don't like andra Davis. I don't like the dude we got from Indy. I like Dawkins and the other safety we grabbed. I like Buckhalter if he can stay healthy. I like Arrington as a return man and solid third down back if we hang on to him. Why WASTE money on a big name like Ward?! I just dont get it. /rant

What's your take on our second highest paid snapper in the league? We had a dire need for him, right?

SmilinAssasSin27
03-01-2009, 03:31 PM
WARD HEADING TO TAMPA AFTER DENVER
Posted by Mike Florio on March 1, 2009, 2:43 p.m. EST
Free-agent running back Derrick Ward, whose possible signing by the Broncos could have been boosted by the collapse of contract talks with J.J. Arrington, will be commencing his visit to Denver on Sunday night, a league source tells us.

Next stop after Denver (barring a deal getting done) will be Tampa on Tuesday, per the source.

Despite reports that Ward has visited Philadelphia, we’re told that this has not yet occurred. Ward has been visiting with the Bengals.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/...-after-denver/

Davii
03-01-2009, 03:34 PM
Let's trade Cutler for every 4th string running back in the league. We can work a 32 way trade somehow.

RunYouOver
03-01-2009, 04:01 PM
If Cutler stays and we can put this mess behind us, signing Ward would absolutely complete our offense.

omac
03-01-2009, 04:23 PM
If Cutler stays and we can put this mess behind us, signing Ward would absolutely complete our offense.

Maybe demoting McDaniels to OC is another fix we could add. So far, he isn't handling things well as a HC.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-01-2009, 07:28 PM
We need this...if for no other reason than to get some of the focus off of Jay and McD and give us sumthin positive to talk about.

slim
03-01-2009, 07:31 PM
This would be good news, if we hadn't already signed two special teams players that happen to be RBs.

Yet, we have signed one DL...I don't get it.

I am hoping I am just to stupid to see the big picture.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-01-2009, 07:32 PM
I'm hearing that the JJ deal is apparently not happening now.

slim
03-01-2009, 07:33 PM

Well, that is the best news I have heard all day.

JJ sucks out loud.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-01-2009, 07:34 PM
Agreed...but I do see how he could fit into the Kevin Faulk role. However, I think Faulk is 10 times the all around player.

Watchthemiddle
03-01-2009, 07:35 PM
Agreed...but I do see how he could fit into the Kevin Faulk role. However, I think Faulk is 10 times the all around player.

Thats going to be Buckhalter's roll.

slim
03-01-2009, 07:37 PM

Faulk > than JJ.

I have seen JJ enough to know that he is a scrub. If we pay him anything more than $1, we are overpaying.

bcbronc
03-01-2009, 07:38 PM
Ward, Buckhalter, Hillis is the start of a pretty solid backfield. It would likely mean letting go of every TB we had on the roster last year, but I'd get over it. hopefully JJ doesn't sign here and we add a back in the 3-5 round of the draft to round things out.

obviously depends on what the money and terms are, but so far all the UFA deals given out have been pretty safe contracts.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-01-2009, 07:39 PM
Thats going to be Buckhalter's roll.

Buck is solid, but I don't think he could fill that role. Again, JJ's talent is subpar, but his "game" mirrors that of Faulk more so than Correll or Ward.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-01-2009, 08:10 PM
prolly aLREADY POSTED, BUT...

Broncos deal with Arrington may fall through

"There's been a glitch in the contract between the Broncos and running back J.J. Arrington. The Broncos and Arrington had reached an agreement in principal Friday on a four-year contract, according to the player's agent J.R. Rickert. But in reading through the contract language, some issues arose that threaten to kill the deal. "J.J's back in Arizona,'' Rickert said. ""The deal's not dead yet.'' There is enough concern, however, for the Broncos to bring in free-agent running Derrick Ward for a visit today. The Broncos had rated Ward as the No. 1 back in this year's class but his initial asking price was beyond their budget."

BeefStew25
03-01-2009, 08:15 PM
My sources tell me Smilin wears women's panties.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-01-2009, 08:16 PM
My sources tell me Smilin wears women's panties.

I'm your source

slim
03-01-2009, 08:17 PM
prolly aLREADY POSTED, BUT...

Broncos deal with Arrington may fall through

"There's been a glitch in the contract between the Broncos and running back J.J. Arrington. The Broncos and Arrington had reached an agreement in principal Friday on a four-year contract, according to the player's agent J.R. Rickert. But in reading through the contract language, some issues arose that threaten to kill the deal. "J.J's back in Arizona,'' Rickert said. ""The deal's not dead yet.'' There is enough concern, however, for the Broncos to bring in free-agent running Derrick Ward for a visit today. The Broncos had rated Ward as the No. 1 back in this year's class but his initial asking price was beyond their budget."

Good...it was a mistake to begin with.

rcsodak
03-01-2009, 11:38 PM
Ward left with no contract, and is heading off to another interview.

Heard he's the FIRST one to do so, this year.

Oh well.

underrated29
03-02-2009, 02:00 AM
dang. Oh well, the bungholes will offer him a large contract me thinks.

Simple Jaded
03-02-2009, 02:14 AM
Well, that is the best news I have heard all day.

JJ sucks out loud.

They're trying to trade the teams best player, I'm not sure talent is entered into the equation.

Btw, Arrington belongs in a ZBS, imo, I really liked that signing.......typical.......

Simple Jaded
03-02-2009, 02:15 AM
Ward left with no contract, and is heading off to another interview.

Heard he's the FIRST one to do so, this year.

Oh well.

Who could blame him?.......

Den21vsBal19
03-02-2009, 02:42 AM
Yeah, after the events of the weekend, he's decided he wants to join a football team, and not the circus :tsk:

underrated29
03-02-2009, 11:54 AM
Someone told me this morning that ward doesnt want to play for the bungholes, and that is basically between us and tampa. And a descision which team he will take could come sometime today....

I dont know if thats true or where they heard that from, but its something to think about.

underrated29
03-02-2009, 03:48 PM
pft or rotoworld- whichever, cant remember:

Is stating that today the broncos will decide to either A). change the language and re-sign JJ arrington to a contract that will be nice and cheap. Or B). Sign derrick ward to a more expensive contract than arrington.

We will have one of them officially signed by the end of the day.

bcbronc
03-02-2009, 03:58 PM
Ward please. but not on a bank breaking deal.

dogfish
03-02-2009, 05:13 PM
Ward please. but not on a bank breaking deal.

i'm somewhat reservedly in agreement. . . i really DON'T want to spend money on a free agent RB that's 28 years old when there are the beter part of a dozen talented backs with fresh legs that will be avilable in the draft and could come here and potentially be the solution for the next 5-8 years instead of the next 2, but with the way they value RBs in the NE system (not especially highly), i'm starting to feel that getting ward might be our only chance of having a quality RB here at all. . . and if we're not going to cough up the money to get at least one impact player (aside from maybe dawkins for a year or so) on defense, then i'd rather at least add a quality back instead of a feeble scat back that doubles as a slightly better than average kick returner. . .

oy! so far i am NOT loving the way this offseason is shaking out!

:lol:

i hope to god they can kill it in the draft, and we didn't screw the pooch when we canned the goodmans. . . .

bcbronc
03-02-2009, 06:29 PM
i'm somewhat reservedly in agreement. . . i really DON'T want to spend money on a free agent RB that's 28 years old when there are the beter part of a dozen talented backs with fresh legs that will be avilable in the draft and could come here and potentially be the solution for the next 5-8 years instead of the next 2, but with the way they value RBs in the NE system (not especially highly), i'm starting to feel that getting ward might be our only chance of having a quality RB here at all. . . and if we're not going to cough up the money to get at least one impact player (aside from maybe dawkins for a year or so) on defense, then i'd rather at least add a quality back instead of a feeble scat back that doubles as a slightly better than average kick returner. . .

oy! so far i am NOT loving the way this offseason is shaking out!

:lol:

i hope to god they can kill it in the draft, and we didn't screw the pooch when we canned the goodmans. . . .

I agree with you completely. the saving grace is that even though Ward is 28 he should have relatively fresh legs. Last season's 182 carries was the highest total of his career, and he only has 342 career carries. that's less than a single season's worth of work for a true stud buffalo.

but the guys 230 lbs and has good hands out of the backfield. he should be a solid fit as an every-down back, and Buck makes a nice compliment. Then give Torrain a look as the #3 back or take one in the mid rounds. as long as the money's not too steep, he'd be a nice fit in our offense.

and compared to pretty much everything else so far this UFA season, signing Ward would be golden.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-02-2009, 06:31 PM
I still want LeaSean McCoy

weazel
03-02-2009, 06:38 PM
I hope we have 20 RB's on the roster this season! So does McDaniels by the looks of it

underrated29
03-02-2009, 08:17 PM
Ward is staying in town tonight. He is scheduled to leave tomorrow instead......

Working out the contract much????

methinkso.

getlynched47
03-02-2009, 08:19 PM
Ward is staying in town tonight. He is scheduled to leave tomorrow instead......

Working out the contract much????

methinkso.

really? Do you have a link?

I'd be stoked to have Ward........but ONLY if its for $3 mil per year or less.

Italianmobstr7
03-02-2009, 08:21 PM
From "Titan" at the Orange mane:

Schefter was interviewed on KOA just now (Dave Logan's show). Here's the gist of what he said (I was typing fast :-)

Schefter:

This weekend was a hell of a super bowl for writers.

Saturday morning I am getting wind that the chiefs/pats deal is in place.
I get from my sources - go with it. I go on nfl network and announce the trade.

I get off the air, and a Matt Cassell rep calls me and says "are you sure you got the story right? Would Pioli do that deal without a long term contract in place?"

Another guy calls me and says there's a 3rd team involved. I say "what?"

I had been told that the chiefs/pats deal was done from a reliable source. I
called back my source and he said "oh boy, it's a long story."

30 minutes later I find out that 3rd team is the denver broncos

There was involvement with detroit, tampa. denver was definitely
involved. They entertained the idea and ultimately decided
not to do it. The broncos tell me they never initiated
contact and they are adament about that. They say jay cutler
won't be traded.

I think if cassell was still available cutler could be traded. But
now, with cassell not available, i don't think he'll be traded.

50% of the qbs taken in the 1st round don't pan out - they aren't
going to trade a pro bowler like cutler now for a 1st round qb like sanchez.

KOA: Did josh mcdaniels make any missteps?

If what denver maintains is true, they should have been more forceful.
I have had 2 teams call me in the last 2 days and say "I wish
Denver had called us. We would have traded for Cutler and got
Cassell for them"

KOA: Can Cutler be pryed loose on draft day?

I think Denver will get calls on Cutler. I bet they are getting
calls right now. Why wouldn't teams call them?

KOA's Logan: we called the broncos and have asked them to come on.
Josh McDaniels saw alot more of Cassell than I did. I would
be hard pressed to look at those 2 qbs and say a straight
up deal cassell for cutler is a good deal for the broncos. I
think cutler is better.

Shefter: there are people who tell me matt cassell is one
of the 5 to 8 best qbs in the game. I say "come again? really?"
If you want to believe that, then mcdaniels knows how good
cassell is, and the trade doesn't look that far fetched. he's
comfortable with cassell.

Logan: if you asked jeremy bates who is better between cassell
and cutler who is better?

schefter: bates would say cutler no question. most people would pick
jay cutler. but mcdaniels knows cassell.

koa: who needs to make the next move?

Schefter: the broncos reached out to cutler and made clear their stance.
both sides have to work on this. jay cutler will face
alot more than this over the course of his career.

koa: final question, is derrick ward coming to denver?

schefter: my guess yes but not a done deal

honz
03-02-2009, 08:22 PM
I'd really like to have Ward. I always thought that he was a better and more versatile back than Jacobs anyways. Jacobs is huge and fast, but if he doesn't have space to build up a head of steam he isn't going anywhere. I just hope we don't sign Ward to huge contract if we do end up signing him.

getlynched47
03-02-2009, 08:25 PM
Schefter is a god when it comes to football news. If he guesses that Ward will be a Bronco, I believe him 100%

getlynched47
03-02-2009, 09:48 PM
Profootballtalk.com reports that free agent Derrick Ward has signed a four-year, $17 million contract with the Bucs.

Ward is reportedly guaranteed $6 million and has picked Tampa over offers from Philadelphia, Cincinnati, and the Giants. Ward's market wasn't near what he and agent Drew Rosenhaus had hoped, as they began free agency seeking $34.5 million over six years. This positions Ahmad Bradshaw to be the Giants' No. 2 back, although he'll face some competition from Danny Ware.

Hardwired
03-02-2009, 09:49 PM
Wonder how much the recent circus figured into his decision?

getlynched47
03-02-2009, 09:50 PM
Wonder how much the recent circus figured into his decision?

I'm sure he wanted no part of all this shit that has been going on this past weekend :lol:

cuzz4169
03-02-2009, 09:51 PM
Denver couldnt have paid him that? Man what is going on here?

jrelway
03-02-2009, 09:52 PM
what RB would want to come here and play. pass happy spread offense is a running back killer.

Foochacho
03-02-2009, 09:53 PM
Jay's whining cost him a good running back.

broncohead
03-02-2009, 09:55 PM
Denver couldnt have paid him that? Man what is going on here?

He probably said we would have to pay more for him to come here because of the current situation. Don't blame him.

JONtheBRONCO
03-02-2009, 09:55 PM
Good. We don't need a 28 year old RB. Draft one. Use him with Buck. Take Hillis and make him a hybrid TE/FB/RB.

bcbronc
03-02-2009, 09:56 PM
he would have been a good addition, but I wouldn't want to out-bid the winning offer to get his services.

getlynched47
03-02-2009, 09:58 PM
what RB would want to come here and play. pass happy spread offense is a running back killer.

Runningback killer? An unhealthy Sammy Morris got 727 rushing yards........and Lamont Jordan and Benjarvis Green Ellis looked like all-stars...

far from "running back killer" :coffee:

jrelway
03-02-2009, 10:06 PM
727 yards aint nothing to brag about. and the other 2 looking like allstars? when did this happen? i had both on my fantasy squad. a couple of decent games from each guys.

getlynched47
03-02-2009, 10:16 PM
727 yards aint nothing to brag about. and the other 2 looking like allstars? when did this happen? i had both on my fantasy squad. a couple of decent games from each guys.

For a "pass-happy" offense.......yes it is.

and yeah...the times Lamont Jordan (vs. Buffalo) and Benjarvis Green Ellis got to play, they looked very good in that running scheme

This misconception of McDaniels abandoning the run needs to stop. Though its a pass-happy offense, the running game is not forgotten

Italianmobstr7
03-02-2009, 10:17 PM
According to PFT Ward has signed with Tampa Bay on a 4 year $17 million deal with 6 mill guaranteed. This probably means we'll re-sign Arrington.

Simple Jaded
03-02-2009, 10:19 PM
Ohhhhhh, Doogie lost out on another teams backup, he's really gonna need his Woobie now.......

JKcatch724
03-02-2009, 10:23 PM
Runningback killer? An unhealthy Sammy Morris got 727 rushing yards........and Lamont Jordan and Benjarvis Green Ellis looked like all-stars...

far from "running back killer" :coffee:

yea... against US they did.

I never really wanted Ward much to begin with. He woulda done fine here, but give me Greene or McCoy any day over him.

Simple Jaded
03-02-2009, 10:24 PM
For a "pass-happy" offense.......yes it is.

and yeah...the times Lamont Jordan (vs. Buffalo) and Benjarvis Green Ellis got to play, they looked very good in that running scheme

This misconception of McDaniels abandoning the run needs to stop. Though its a pass-happy offense, the running game is not forgotten

It's not a misconception, in 08 they were more balanced because they were breaking in a QB that haden't started game since high school, in 07 they were something like 60/40, IIRC.

I can't remember the numbers exactly but you're certainly welcome to do the leg work yourself.

If Denver gets the offense that Doogie ran against the Broncos in 08, Broncos fans will be very pleased, imo, so long as they still have a legitimate QB.......

honz
03-02-2009, 10:30 PM
I think NE had like the 6th best running game last season...

getlynched47
03-02-2009, 10:57 PM
It's not a misconception, in 08 they were more balanced because they were breaking in a QB that haden't started game since high school, in 07 they were something like 60/40, IIRC.

I can't remember the numbers exactly but you're certainly welcome to do the leg work yourself.

If Denver gets the offense that Doogie ran against the Broncos in 08, Broncos fans will be very pleased, imo, so long as they still have a legitimate QB.......

stnzed? Is that you? :lol:

omac
03-03-2009, 06:14 AM
Ohhhhhh, Doogie lost out on another teams backup, he's really gonna need his Woobie now.......

Maybe he tries to secretly trade Ryan Clady straight up for Wesley Britt. :coffee:

dogfish
03-03-2009, 01:53 PM
Broncos | Buckhalter, Torain expected to compete for starting job
Tue, 03 Mar 2009 09:36:51 -0800

Mike Klis and Lindsay H. Jones, of The Denver Post, report Denver Broncos RB Correll Buckhalter and RB Ryan Torain are expected to compete for the team's No. 1 running back job. Buckhalter is expected to get the first chance to become the team's starting running back. FB Peyton Hillis and RB Selvin Young are expected to compete for role positions.

that's great, but who's going to start the other thirteen games after they're both hurt?

turftoad
03-03-2009, 01:57 PM

Mike Klis and Lindsay H. Jones, of The Denver Post, report Denver Broncos RB Correll Buckhalter and RB Ryan Torain are expected to compete for the team's No. 1 running back job. Buckhalter is expected to get the first chance to become the team's starting running back. FB Peyton Hillis and RB Selvin Young are expected to compete for role positions.

that's great, but who's going to start the other thirteen games after they're both hurt?

Ooopps, sorry Dog, I saw this also and thought it thread worthy, so........... I started one. :D

keithbishop
03-03-2009, 01:58 PM

Andre Hall. Don't worry. :lol:

SmilinAssasSin27
03-03-2009, 05:11 PM
Someone todat told me Ward signed w/ Tampa...any confirmation?

underrated29
03-03-2009, 05:17 PM
Someone todat told me Ward signed w/ Tampa...any confirmation?

yeah he did, i dont have a link, but i have seen it on NFLN too.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-03-2009, 05:19 PM
eh...that's displeases me. Hopefully Buck can be the man I think he can be since he'll actually get a legit shot now.