PDA

View Full Version : Did I hear this correctly?

Dean
02-28-2009, 06:50 PM
John Clayton on ESPN news was talking and I wasn't paying much attention. I thought he said that Jay Cutler was furious and asked to be traded. Is there someone that can either confirm or correct me on this?

If it is true McKid and X-man really highlighted their inexperience in handling personnel.

BigCurly1230
02-28-2009, 06:52 PM
You did not misunderstand him....

Tned
Inexperienced HC and GM + Immature QB = Mt. St. Dove Valley

getlynched47
damn................

MOtorboat
02-28-2009, 06:53 PM
:tsk:

Magnificent Seven
02-28-2009, 06:54 PM
I hope that Pat Bowlen will do something about it.

broncophan
02-28-2009, 06:55 PM
Inexperienced HC and GM + Immature QB = Mt. St. Dove Valley

Ugly......Ugly.....Ugly...

Might as well unload Cutler now..........no way is he mature enough to handle this stuff

SmilinAssasSin27
can I start yet another thread about this?

Peerless
I'm going to KILL my ******* self!

MOtorboat

Go for it.

dogfish
02-28-2009, 06:56 PM
If it is true McKid and X-man really highlighted their inexperience in handling personnel.

not exactly an auspicious start to their era, is it?

Slick
02-28-2009, 06:57 PM

Don't tell me you're buying this bullshit dog.

DenBronx

Might as well unload Cutler now..........no way is he mature enough to handle this stuff

why dont we save the franchise and unload our idiot coach.

lex

Or, alternately, we can fire McDaniels.

getlynched47
02-28-2009, 06:58 PM

Go for it.

:laugh: :laugh:

Broncogator
02-28-2009, 06:58 PM

Understatement of the year..

honz
02-28-2009, 06:59 PM
Oh my lawd! :faint:

dogfish
02-28-2009, 07:00 PM
Don't tell me you're buying this bullshit dog.

why wouldn't i? i'm not a fan of ESPiN, but they are a major network, and they don't generally just make shit up. . . i know they make mistakes from time to time, but i'm assuming that if clayton reported it it's probably true. . . i haven't seen any evidence to the contrary, and i think it's pretty obvious that SOMETHING happened. . .

Italianmobstr7
02-28-2009, 07:03 PM
They also said that his trade request was DENIED. He will not be traded. Cutler will stay a Bronco.

MOtorboat
02-28-2009, 07:05 PM
They also said that his trade request was DENIED. He will not be traded. Cutler will stay a Bronco.

Because they WEREN'T SHOPPING HIM TO BEGIN WITH!

honz
02-28-2009, 07:05 PM
Emotions are running high. Rumors are flying. People are over reacting. Cutler will come in and sit down with Bowlen, McDaniels, and Xanders and everything will be just fine.

I hope.

Broncogator
02-28-2009, 07:06 PM
why wouldn't i? i'm not a fan of ESPiN, but they are a major network, and they don't generally just make shit up. . . i know they make mistakes from time to time, but i'm assuming that if clayton reported it it's probably true. . . i haven't seen any evidence to the contrary, and i think it's pretty obvious that SOMETHING happened. . .

Like I said in the other thread....(one of 200), I never thought the Portis thing was anything more than BS and I was way wrong..

Slick
02-28-2009, 07:06 PM

Yes, people called about Cutler. So what? That doesn't mean we tried to deal him...and if Cutler's pissed about it, he's a dumbass. He should be flattered that other teams are interested in acquiring his services.

I seriously doubt that McD wants/wanted to deal Cutler. Even for Cassell. I feel like if McD could do what he did with Cassell, he can do the same, if not better with Jay. I don't, for one minute, believe this story. To each his own though...

Tned
02-28-2009, 07:09 PM
Because they WEREN'T SHOPPING HIM TO BEGIN WITH!

I'm with you that based on what we 'know' it doesn't look like the Broncos were shopping him, but we really don't know for sure. There is also the report that the Broncos contacted the Vikings (vs. Det/TB contacting Den). So, the fact is we really don't know.

MOtorboat
Yes, people called about Cutler. So what? That doesn't mean we tried to deal him...and if Cutler's pissed about it, he's a dumbass. He should be flattered that other teams are interested in acquiring his services.

I seriously doubt that McD wants/wanted to deal Cutler. Even for Cassell. I feel like if McD could do what he did with Cassell, he can do the same, if not better with Jay. I don't, for one minute, believe this story. To each his own though...

In related news, the Raiders called the Patriots about Tom Brady and were told no.

LordTrychon
Near as I can tell, this is another spin job or a game of telephone if you will.

Cutler is quoted as saying he wasn't happy to hear it but he understands what they're trying to do, and if they ask him to play elsewhere, he will.

That's a lot of spin or a big misunderstanding.

Sorry I don't have the exact quote on hand... busy a bit. :laugh:

getlynched47
02-28-2009, 07:13 PM
Near as I can tell, this is another spin job or a game of telephone if you will.

Cutler is quoted as saying he wasn't happy to hear it but he understands what they're trying to do, and if they ask him to play elsewhere, he will.

That's a lot of spin or a big misunderstanding.

Sorry I don't have the exact quote on hand... busy a bit. :laugh:

such a crazy ass day.....I'm beat.

broncophan
02-28-2009, 07:13 PM
Yea......Michael Smith on espn news just reported that he heard Denver was willing to give up a first round pick to get Cassel......but wasn't sure why NE didn't do it.

He then stated there now needs to be major domage control done in Denver....etc....etc......Cutler was Shanahan's guy etc...

lex
02-28-2009, 07:16 PM
Yea......Michael Smith on espn news just reported that he heard Denver was willing to give up a first round pick to get Cassel......but wasn't sure why NE didn't do it.

He then stated there now needs to be major domage control done in Denver....etc....etc......Cutler was Shanahan's guy etc...

That doesnt make sense? Why would Denver be giving up a 1st and Cutler to get Cassel. If anyone should be getting a picks in such a deal, its Denver.

Dean
02-28-2009, 07:17 PM
I hope that it is all just a series of misunderstandings.

If it is, then this will all blow over and on with the training camps. If not- a franchise Qb that wants out does not bode well for the organization.

broncophan
02-28-2009, 07:20 PM
That doesnt make sense? Why would Denver be giving up a 1st and Cutler to get Cassel. If anyone should be getting a picks in such a deal, its Denver.

I don't know if it was part of a 3 team deal or not.....he also said Tampa was willing to give up a first round pick as well......:confused:

getlynched47
02-28-2009, 07:22 PM
is it true you can say s*** here?

in that case.............oh shit!!!

lex
I don't know if it was part of a 3 team deal or not.....he also said Tampa was willing to give up a first round pick as well......:confused:

Well, as much as it may not make sense, its said in the context of trading Cutler, so all bets are off. None of it makes sense. Wow, this new regime is really going to feel some backlash.

Tned

It didn't say a first and Cutler. The post said a first for Cassel. Presumably, in a three way trade, we would have then gotten something for Cutler.

ikillz0mbies
02-28-2009, 07:25 PM

Now that has to be a load of crap. Matt Cassel did NOT do that great of a job to warrant a 1st round pick AND Cutler. That is just ridiculous. And if somehow that rumor ends up being true, the front office is probably being run by Al Davis. Otherwise, it's a load of crap and there is no way in hell Pat Bowlen lets this happen to his team after making a ballsy move to fire Shanahan. ESPN could shove it.

lex
02-28-2009, 07:25 PM
It didn't say a first and Cutler. The post said a first for Cassel. Presumably, in a three way trade, we would have then gotten something for Cutler.

That would really not make sense. Trade for a 1st just to turn around and spend it on a QB who is hasnt been to a pro bowl and may never make it to a pro bowl?

honz
02-28-2009, 07:28 PM
Still no mention of this by Schefter and crew at the NFL Network, and frankly I trust them a whole lot more than the hacks that ESPN seems to have now days...remember ESPN reported that Shanny was going to KC and just yesterday they reported that the Broncos had officially signed Dawkins almost 24 hours before it really happened.

broncophan
02-28-2009, 07:28 PM
Now that has to be a load of crap. Matt Cassel did NOT do that great of a job to warrant a 1st round pick AND Cutler. That is just ridiculous. And if somehow that rumor ends up being true, the front office is probably being run by Al Davis. Otherwise, it's a load of crap and there is no way in hell Pat Bowlen lets this happen to his team after making a ballsy move to fire Shanahan. ESPN could shove it.

I am sure it was part of a three or four team deal......Tampa and Detroit were in on it as well as the chiefs.

Broncospsycho77
02-28-2009, 07:29 PM
Today has given me heartburn.

omac
02-28-2009, 07:29 PM
I'm actually waiting to see if Pat Bowlen makes a comment on the situation.

ktrain
02-28-2009, 07:30 PM

Especially does not make sense since NE traded Cassell AND Vrabel for just one SECOND round pick

this is all bullshit, none of us know exactly what was offered and when.

lex
02-28-2009, 07:32 PM
Especially does not make sense since NE traded Cassell AND Vrabel for just one SECOND round pick

this is all bullshit, none of us know exactly what was offered and when.

This sounds like typical ESPN where they infuse a lot of speculation into some information and call it "perspective". This is why Ive had NFLN on all day.

ikillz0mbies
02-28-2009, 07:47 PM
I'm actually waiting to see if Pat Bowlen makes a comment on the situation.

I am really curious as to why the owner of the damn team hasn't even made a single comment about this. Isn't it his job to clear the air?

Thnikkaman
02-28-2009, 07:49 PM
Participating in the Broncos Talk of this forum is no longer healthy for me. I need to take a break from this crap this weekend.

Dean
02-28-2009, 08:35 PM
I am really curious as to why the owner of the damn team hasn't even made a single comment about this. Isn't it his job to clear the air?

Pat Bowlen doesn't call press conferences very often.

TXBRONC
02-28-2009, 08:58 PM
Pat Bowlen doesn't call press conferences very often.

Hopefully Bowlen has talked with his head coach and general manager.

MOtorboat
02-28-2009, 08:59 PM
The world is ending!!!!!!!!!!!!

getlynched47
02-28-2009, 09:00 PM
The world is ending!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek:

:elefant:

Hobe
02-28-2009, 09:05 PM
Cutty, McD, Xman, Broncos Forums

http://www.geocities.com/vibestothemax/chill_pill.jpg

Dean
02-28-2009, 09:47 PM
I think that in the next few days it would be ideal if McKid and Cutler sat down face to face and get this behind the organization. I wonder if there is enough leadership in Dove Valley to git 'r dun.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-28-2009, 09:49 PM
I wonder how many more threads I will find a chill pill on...

TXBRONC
02-28-2009, 09:50 PM
I think that in the next few days it would be ideal if McKid and Cutler sat down face to face and get this behind the orgainzation. I wonder if there is enough leadership in Dove Valley to git 'r dun.

I'm starting to wonder. Jay's agent starts looking into what's going on and then he gets stonewalled.

TXBRONC
02-28-2009, 09:50 PM
I wonder how many more threads I will find a chill pill on...

Enough to o.d. on.

lex
02-28-2009, 09:54 PM
I think that in the next few days it would be ideal if McKid and Cutler sat down face to face and get this behind the orgainzation. I wonder if there is enough leadership in Dove Valley to git 'r dun.

Whats the point? If Jay doesnt trust McDaniels, what good would that do? Going through that just to save face is kind of pointless and its doubtful that it really fools anyone.

getlynched47
02-28-2009, 09:55 PM
Whats the point? If Jay doesnt trust McDaniels, what good would that do? Going through that just to save face is kind of pointless and its doubtful that it really fools anyone.

seriously.........it could end up in a fist fight...we wouldnt want that :coffee:

MOtorboat
02-28-2009, 10:00 PM

Trade him to the Rams.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-28-2009, 10:05 PM
Trade him to the Rams.

I bet they'd give us Torry Holt.

getlynched47
02-28-2009, 10:07 PM
I bet they'd give us Torry Holt.

Wow :eek:............that would be an atrocious trade

Cutler for Torry Holt :laugh:

SmilinAssasSin27
02-28-2009, 10:09 PM
dude...Holt is the tits.

getlynched47
02-28-2009, 10:09 PM
dude...Holt is the tits.

Holt is a pile of shit in a Rams uniform...

he used to be "the tits"

chazoe60
02-28-2009, 10:11 PM
How about Cutler for Ryan Leaf. How pissed would the Chargers be if we swept them with Leaf as our QB?:laugh:

SmilinAssasSin27
02-28-2009, 10:14 PM
Mort just said that Cutty didn't DEMAND a trade. He said Cutty asked to speak w/ the teams who wanted him.

getlynched47
02-28-2009, 10:18 PM
Mort just said that Cutty didn't DEMAND a trade. He said Cutty asked to speak w/ the teams who wanted him.

EPNS sucks.....

I absolutely HATE Mortensen......I have a passionate hatred towards that stupid bitch...

lex
02-28-2009, 10:20 PM

Whats the difference between asking for a trade and asking to be able to pursue a trade?

SmilinAssasSin27
02-28-2009, 10:24 PM
Whats the difference between asking for a trade and asking to be able to pursue a trade?

Demanding indicates that he wants out no matter what and that he is rasing hell. I dn't think requesting to speak w/ the suitors has the same intensit to it. I'm sure he is interested in going somewhere where he is apparently more wanted, but the point is that he wasn't going apeshit about it.

Dean
03-01-2009, 07:54 AM
Demanding indicates that he wants out no matter what and that he is rasing hell. I dn't think requesting to speak w/ the suitors has the same intensit to it. I'm sure he is interested in going somewhere where he is apparently more wanted, but the point is that he wasn't going apeshit about it.

The real difference IMO is not with Jay at all. The difference is that McKid thought they could get his one-shot-wonder from last year. Now, there are no decent QBs left on the market. Jay did not initiate this whole cluster. . . well you know. Now McKid apologist's want to put this on Jay's head.

omac
03-01-2009, 08:07 AM
The real difference IMO is not with Jay at all. The difference is that McKid thought they could get his one-shot-wonder from last year. Now, there are no decent QBs left on the market. Jay did not initiate this whole cluster. . . well you know. Now McKid apologist's want to put this on Jay's head.

Bellichick might have actually done McDaniels a favor. In an article posted by sneakers on the other teams forums, it noted that most personnel men don't think too highly of Cassel, and the only teams seemingly interested in Cassel were the Chiefs and the Broncos (because of McDaniels). There was no great demand for him, but Cutler is valued by other teams, and for more than just a 1st rounder.

If I'm not mistaken, the Pats would've gotten a lot more in terms of draft picks in the 3-way if they traded Cassel to the Broncos. Maybe Bellichick was looking out for McDaniels? :D

elsid13
03-01-2009, 08:52 AM
Bellichick might have actually done McDaniels a favor. In an article posted by sneakers on the other teams forums, it noted that most personnel men don't think too highly of Cassel, and the only teams seemingly interested in Cassel were the Chiefs and the Broncos (because of McDaniels). There was no great demand for him, but Cutler is valued by other teams, and for more than just a 1st rounder.

If I'm not mistaken, the Pats would've gotten a lot more in terms of draft picks in the 3-way if they traded Cassel to the Broncos. Maybe Bellichick was looking out for McDaniels? :D

Or realized due to NE cap situation he couldn't take on another 1st round pick.

Dean
03-01-2009, 11:25 AM

You could be right but in my mind I don't see Bill Bellichick as being that warm and fuzz. I've always though of him as someone who would push his mother out of the way if she was between him and a deal that would make his team stronger. :whoknows:

Once the first round pick was in hand, it would not be tough to trade it for a player that could help the team and who was cap friendly.
:questionmark:

BeefStew25
03-01-2009, 11:27 AM

A top 5 pick sucks ass.

Northman
03-01-2009, 11:28 AM
You could be right but in my mind I don't see Bill Bellichick as being that warm and fuzz. I've always though of him as someone who would push his mother out of the way if she was between him and a deal that would make his team stronger. :whoknows:

Once the first round pick was in hand, it would not be tough to trade it for a player that could help the team and who was cap friendly.
:questionmark:

After the Mangini debacle i have no doubt that Belly wasnt trying to do McD any favors.

underrated29
03-01-2009, 12:06 PM
If i was Jay i would want to talk to the teams that were involved with this trade scenario too...

I would want their take as to how all this was going to go down. Who initiated the talks and how much loyalty the broncos new staff is showing me...

I dont think jay really cares too much for being traded or about furthering those trade talks, I think he wants all the info and a little closure so he can know if the new regime has jays best interests in mind.

Tned
03-01-2009, 12:14 PM

I don't think there is any way NE would have passed on a first to get a second, becuase they coudln't take on the cap hit of another first. In that situation, they would simply be able to trade with a team for their next year's first, trade for multiple lower pics, etc.

A first rounder can be used, or used as currency. No way a team passes on Det or TB's first just because they don't have cap room to sign a first rounder.

BeefStew25
03-01-2009, 12:16 PM
I don't think there is any way NE would have passed on a first to get a second, becuase they coudln't take on the cap hit of another first. In that situation, they would simply be able to trade with a team for their next year's first, trade for multiple lower pics, etc.

A first rounder can be used, or used as currency. No way a team passes on Det or TB's first just because they don't have cap room to sign a first rounder.

Disagree. No one wants those first couple of picks. You think SF was happy they had to draft Alex Smith?

Tned
03-01-2009, 12:20 PM
Disagree. No one wants those first couple of picks. You think SF was happy they had to draft Alex Smith?

Not sure if that's sarcasm. Regardless, even if they had no use for an early first rounder, then they trade it and get something. They don't just say, "ahh, we'd rather have a second rounder than a first".

BeefStew25
03-01-2009, 01:27 PM
Not sure if that's sarcasm. Regardless, even if they had no use for an early first rounder, then they trade it and get something. They don't just say, "ahh, we'd rather have a second rounder than a first".

SF tried to trade out of their Alex Smith pick. Instead they ended up having to spend 30 mil on an unproven dude.

I think the Pats are way smarter to think they could get an early pick and then be able to move it.

Tned
03-01-2009, 01:33 PM
SF tried to trade out of their Alex Smith pick. Instead they ended up having to spend 30 mil on an unproven dude.

I think the Pats are way smarter to think they could get an early pick and then be able to move it.

Depends on what they are trying to get for the pick.

No matter how you cut it NO team in the NFL would take a second round pick when they could get a first round pick in the same trade.

BeefStew25
03-01-2009, 01:39 PM
Depends on what they are trying to get for the pick.

No matter how you cut it NO team in the NFL would take a second round pick when they could get a first round pick in the same trade.

I am not so sure. Top three pick is a burden. Pats dont need top picks to stay on top.

But I wasn't in the room, so I will BTB myself and shut up.

Tned
03-01-2009, 01:43 PM
But I wasn't in the room, so I will BTB myself and shut up.

Hence the reason all of this is pure speculation. There are only a handful of people that really know what happened, and they aren't posting on this forum.

omac
03-01-2009, 02:27 PM
After the Mangini debacle i have no doubt that Belly wasnt trying to do McD any favors.

Mangini directly opposed Bellichick when he disobeyed him and went to New York, immediately becoming a divisional rival, thus the bad blood. Bellichick had no such problems with Crennel.

omac
03-01-2009, 02:31 PM
Hence the reason all of this is pure speculation. There are only a handful of people that really know what happened, and they aren't posting on this forum.

What happens when your time to pick expires in the 1st round? Can you later in that same round decide to come in? Ex. You have the 5th pick in the 1st round, and make it expire, and decide to come in at the 12th pick in the 1st round. Can you do that? Or do you forfeit your 1st round pick?

BeefStew25
03-01-2009, 02:32 PM
What happens when your time to pick expires in the 1st round? Can you later in that same round decide to come in? Ex. You have the 5th pick in the 1st round, and make it expire, and decide to come in at the 12th pick in the 1st round. Can you do that? Or do you forfeit your 1st round pick?

Happened to the Vikings a couple of years ago.

Goddell would throw a shit fit though.

MOtorboat
03-01-2009, 02:33 PM

No, you don't forfeit...happened to the Vikings a few years ago, and instead of ending up with the eighth pick, I think they had the 10th, or something like that...the two teams behind them hurried with their picks and got them in before they did. I can't imagine anyone purposely doing it though...

Dean
03-01-2009, 02:44 PM
If a team was tight up against the cap and they knew the guy they wanted was going to be there several picks later, I could imagine it being done again.

RunYouOver
03-01-2009, 02:55 PM
So McDaniels has already become a failure before he's even coached a game...wonderful.

Dean
03-01-2009, 09:56 PM
I don't know about being a failure but his inexperience dealing with personnel is showing. I hope he does a better job in handling the locker room than he has exhibited so far.

He surely didn't want to trade straight up Jay for Cassels. Did he?