PDA

View Full Version : SPANOS RANT: Tebow Haters Go Down Again - By @BrandonSpano, host of the Brandon Spano Show

Tned
01-12-2012, 06:50 PM
SPANO’S RANT
From the opinionated mind of Brandon Spano

Tebow Haters Go Down Again

Well, well, well, what do have here ladies and gentlemen? A passer? A weapon in the pocket? A gunslinger? Not if we’re talking about Tim Tebow, right?

WRONG!

Tebow the technician was attacking the tremendous Pittsburgh defense with tactics that you did not know he possessed after the previous weeks tumultuous turn of events.

In other words, he rocked!

After a 316-yard passing performance, the franchise playoff record in quarterback rating (125.6), an NFL record in yards per attempt (31.6), and the most 50-plus-yard passes completed in a playoff game since the merger (three), Tebow has very politely just told everybody to shut the heck up. Especially when you consider the fact that it was done against the Pittsburgh Steelers No. 1-rated passing defense, in the playoffs.

Chew on this: Tim Tebow is the only quarterback to throw for more than 300 yards off 10 attempts or fewer since the merger, the Steelers hadn’t given up one pass over 45 yards the entire season and Tebow’s ESPN QBR rating was 97.3, which is the highest rating that has ever been achieved since the system was created in 2008.

But the story is better than the numbers. Tebow beat the Steelers, which happens to be Merril Hoge’s former team and the one he still loves so much. You wanna talk about poetic justice? Does it get any better than that? First Merril says over and over again that Tebow is not an NFL quality quarterback and then once he starts winning, he backs up and says that he won’t be able to win in the playoffs. Then, Tebow beats Hoge’s beloved Steelers in the playoffs...

Check out Brandon Spano's full rant at http://www.milehighsports.com/?p=8149

broncobryce
01-12-2012, 07:02 PM
I would give anything to see the look on Hoge's face when Thomas was streaking down the sideline for the GW touchdown.

Tned
01-12-2012, 07:11 PM
I would give anything to see the look on Hoge's face when Thomas was streaking down the sideline for the GW touchdown.

Yep, tell me about it. By the time I got home from the game, I had to bring my wife out to dinner, then we left early the next morning, so I didn't get to see any of Hoge's comments following the game.

TXBRONC
01-12-2012, 07:11 PM

I would have loved to have seen the look on his face after the first touchdown pass to Royal for that matter after the second quarter.

threefolddead
01-12-2012, 07:19 PM
I would have loved to have seen the look on his face after the first touchdown pass to Royal for that matter after the second quarter.

He'd have to pull his head out of his a** for us to see his face and I don't see that happening anytime soon.

TXBRONC
01-12-2012, 08:23 PM
He'd have to pull his head out of his a** for us to see his face and I don't see that happening anytime soon.

I concur.

I'm sure he's saying now that we have no chance against the Patriots because Tebow can't throw the ball.

Tned
01-12-2012, 08:27 PM
I concur.

I'm sure he's saying now that we have no chance against the Patriots because Tebow can't throw the ball.

Any only beat Pittsburgh, because Clark was out, Ben hurt, Pouncey hurt, some DL's got hurt in game, DC had a brain fart, moon was full....

Joel
01-12-2012, 09:55 PM
I couldn't care less about what the pundits say, but he echoed several of my own favorite points toward the end.

1) McCoy and then Fox publicly saying they have confidence in Tebow, want him to have confidence in himself, that he must not be afraid to make mistakes, is great--but when they then call 40 runs per game their actions state how little confidence they have in him better than any words.

2) More run, run, pass, punt against Pitt would've guaranteed a loss. Opening things up might've resulted in a beating, but created the possibility of WINNING that would otherwise have been absent. That's the "nothing to lose" way they played when they put Tebow in at 1-4 and watched him win 7 of the next 8--but then we were all alone in first place in the AFC West; the Division was "ours to lose." So we started playing to "not lose" rather than WIN, quit taking ANY chances with our questionable QB and proceeded to drop our next three games. I'd hoped they'd decide making the playoffs against a heavily favored team again meant we had nothing to lose, throw caution to the wind and go back to more varied playcalling with called QB runs and passes on 1st and 2nd down. They did, and it worked beautifully. Much thanks to Dick LeBeau for resolutely believing all game that Tebow can't pass, and thereby proving before the nation that he can.

3) When Elway told the media Tebow had to "pull the trigger," he wasn't just talking to our QB, who can't pull many triggers handing off to McGahee 40 times. Fox is finishing up the first year of a three year contract and Elway's looking for a championship winning QB. Never passing will make that QB impossible to identify even when he's sitting in your lap. If we'd lost by 20 with run, run, pass, punt, our QBs days might have been numbered, but our head coachs no less so.

All that said, I still think we must run our legs off against NE, who never stopped it last month. Our second year QB, second year Gs and second year receivers don't yet have the experience to get 300 yards and 3 TDs against the #1 passing D every week. Brady, his top five pass blockers and ton of great receivers DO, and will win any shootout simply by making far fewer mistakes. More importantly, our secondary is nearly as bad as theirs, but running still rests our D, tires theirs and keeps the ball away from Brady. If we avoid turnovers and don't allow NE the ball more than 5 or 6 times, we only need one or two stops to hold them under 30 points, a very winnable game for us unless they find a way to stop our run.

We should still go for kill shots if/when they load the box, especially on first and second down, but not make a habit of it otherwise. We'll still need even better pass protection than last week, because last month Belicheat didn't park his LBs and DEs in Tebows running lanes the way LeBeau did to hold him in the pocket and make him implode passing, and now he DEFINITELY won't. He'll rush even harder than last time (which was pretty hard) if only because it's the only way to stop our passing since he has no secondary. Last time Ninkovich set up shop in our backfield, forcing a Tebow fumble when he came in unblocked and recovering Balls later. The Pats sent five rushers on one second half play and FOUR of them got to Tebow; on another play Tebow tucked and ran away from a blitzer one his left straight into another on his right: SACK!

You can't sack a guy without the ball though, and even Brady is hard pressed to find the end zone when he gets the ball with 0:30 in the half. On the Pats first drive in the second half last month we forced a rare punt; imagine if they hadn't gotten a FG off Cosbys punt and we have the ball down 1 score with 10:00 left in the third. How different might things now be? Avoid turnovers to a team that's (IIRC) +17 this season, and run the ball until the end of each half. Then we can win.

TXBRONC
01-13-2012, 07:53 AM
Any only beat Pittsburgh, because Clark was out, Ben hurt, Pouncey hurt, some DL's got hurt in game, DC had a brain fart, moon was full....

Never mind the fact that he had them beating us anyway. It's not so much that he believed they would beat Denver I can respect that a lot people thought Denver wouldn't beat the Steelers. What I find distasteful is how he seems to go out of his way to try and prove Tebow stinks as a starting quarterback.

Tned
01-13-2012, 08:34 AM
Never mind the fact that he had them beating us anyway. It's not so much that he believed they would beat Denver I can respect that a lot people thought Denver wouldn't beat the Steelers. What I find distasteful is how he seems to go out of his way to try and prove Tebow stinks as a starting quarterback.

Before this morning, his last tweet was about how he was going to show coaching tape about how Tebow struggles and what the Steeler D will do to him!!!! (he added the !!!).

Now, this morning, he sent this out:

RT @merrilhoge: Broncos should have been called for illegal motion on last play of game last week. TE and Royal were moving at same time

TXBRONC
01-13-2012, 09:03 AM
Before this morning, his last tweet was about how he was going to show coaching tape about how Tebow struggles and what the Steeler D will do to him!!!! (he added the !!!).

Now, this morning, he sent this out:

RT @merrilhoge: Broncos should have been called for illegal motion on last play of game last week. TE and Royal were moving at same time

Is it possible for him to get any pettier than he is now?

Tned
01-13-2012, 09:04 AM
Is it possible for him to get any pettier than he is now?

I bet he's going to try.

Elevation inc
01-13-2012, 09:22 AM
I wrote a message to espn and hodge

hey hodge can the refs call a holding or facemask penalty on Pitt? guess not as they missed 5 calls alone on those major penalties, how bout that blown backwards pass.....get a grip.....those are fragant huge missed calls, the smart people at the NFL said no formation foul get a grip tebow and denver owned your steelers......

TXBRONC
01-13-2012, 09:48 AM
I wrote a message to espn and hodge

hey hodge can the refs call a holding or facemask penalty on Pitt? guess not as they missed 5 calls alone on those major penalties, how bout that blown backwards pass.....get a grip.....those are fragant huge missed calls, the smart people at the NFL said no formation foul get a grip tebow and denver owned your steelers......

It's embarrasing to think ESPN considers Hoge an analsyt.

BroncoJoe
01-13-2012, 11:05 AM
Great read. I'm glad Spanos pointed out what I said in the "pull the trigger" thread: he wasn't just talking to Tim - he was talking to the coaches as well.