PDA

View Full Version : Game-Winner Drawn Up at Halftime

rjent
01-12-2012, 05:57 PM
This is a great read ....

The coaches noticed that as the Broncos kept using the same formula on first down, the Steelers' safeties started to cheat and play closer to the line of scrimmage, anticipating the run.

In the locker room, the Broncos staff went to work. They grabbed some whiteboard markers and drew the Steelers defensive formation on the board. If the safeties continue to creep down towards the line of scrimmage, they said, the Broncos could exploit it by going for a pass over the top.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Game-Winner-Drawn-Up-at-Halftime/97b8e44d-6d1c-40d1-827a-b83e9bf12423

Joel
01-13-2012, 12:13 PM
Lemme see if I can follow this... you RUN... to ESTABLISH the pass... I dunno, sounds complicated; has anyone ever tried it? Does this new fangled idea have any kind of track record?

Jsteve01
01-13-2012, 12:51 PM
lol Joel same thought I had. Great job grabbing the white board guys. and rjent I appreciate the post I just am leery of anything from db.com

rjent
01-13-2012, 01:35 PM
lol Joel same thought I had. Great job grabbing the white board guys. and rjent I appreciate the post I just am leery of anything from db.com

I was coming from that angle of "hey it worked" point of view :lol:

I just thought it was interesting that they truly making some of this stuff up on the fly!

jhildebrand
01-13-2012, 01:38 PM
Blasphemy!

If what you are saying is true, then that would mean this team makes adjustments.

Can we get confirmation that this team is making adjustments :confused:

:lol:

rjent
01-13-2012, 01:52 PM

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Game-Winner-Drawn-Up-at-Halftime/97b8e44d-6d1c-40d1-827a-b83e9bf12423

:D

Joel
01-13-2012, 05:58 PM
Blasphemy!

If what you are saying is true, then that would mean this team makes adjustments.

"That 'you have to establish the run in order to pass' ranks as a ten on the cliché scale. We've heard it so often that we don't even listen anymore. 'Yeah,' we mumble, 'establish the run and and brush after every meal.'" The Hidden Game of Football, opening paragraph of Chapter 12, "The Running Game."

So, yeah, they adjust; it only took them 16.5 games to do something that called a cliche 25 years ago.

Greatest irony: Against NE, who harried our QB througout the second half a month ago and never stopped a running game that put up >200 rushing yards in 3 quarters, we SHOULD run whenever possible.

We averaged 8.1 yards per carry against them last time.

A few 1st/2nd down deep strikes on stacked boxes, when an incomplete will just produce a 3rd and 6 or 7 we McGahee likely converts and an interception is basically a punt, would be a good idea occasionally, since a completed bomb guarantees at least a FG. However, that should be the exception rather than the rule unless our line protects Tebow far better than a month ago, when 4/5 rushers met at the QB and Ninkovich forced Tebows fumble, then later recovered Balls fumble in our backfield.

Pound the rock and limit New England to half a dozen possessions; then we only need one or two stops to keep the score low enough we can win. Every time we hit a deep TD bomb we must kickoff, and Brady will quickly answer, especially after 2:00 drives that neither rest our D nor tire theirs. Our second year QB, second year guards and second year receivers will make more mistakes than New England, and cannot keep pace with that for three hours. Maybe in a couple years, but not a couple DAYS. Give him the ball with 0:30 showing though and he can't do much.