PDA

View Full Version : Dawkins Press Conference Live Blog

Denver Native (Carol)
02-28-2009, 04:03 PM
The equipment was not working to stream it live - they will try to put up a video later

http://blog.denverbroncos.com/denverbroncos/2009/02/28/dawkins-press-conference-live-blog/

Dawkins has entered the room and taken the podium.

1:36 p.m. MST: Head Coach Josh McDaniels is at the podium, introducing Dawkins.

“Brian Dawkins is a special, special person and an even better player.”

“One of the things I realized once free agency opened is he’s exactly what the Denver Broncos are looking for. He’s dedicated and serious about the game,” McDaniels said. “He wants to come to a place where he can win. It’s our priveledge to add him as the newest Denver Bronco. He’s going to provide us with great leadership, great attitude.”

1:39 p.m. MST: Dawkins has taken the podium, and McDaniels has presented him with an orange No. 20 Broncos jersey.

Now Dawkins has made his opening remarks.

“This is an absolute blessing. I’m a blessed man… I’ve been blessed to play for a great organization and to come to another great organization… I was able to meet some of the young guys that I’ll have the priveledge of playing with. I’m kind of jumping around with my words right now because I’m so emotionally excited.”

1:42 p.m. MST: He has started taking questions now and was asked about his level of play.

“This is a day to celebrate. We’ve been blessed to be with this organization. (I will play) as many as he blesses me to play at a high level.”

On what he’ll do to get the defense back on track — “We’re going to get on this right away. The thing about it is you try to gel as quickly as possible. Once you gel, you just do your role. If that’s the mentality and everybody is taking care of their gap, we’re going to be a pretty good defense, creating turnovers along the way.”

1:45 p.m. MST: On the challenge in the secondary — “The challenge for me is to, first of all, I’m not going to think my guys up front can’t get pressure. I’m going to believe they will whoop the guys in front of them. IN those instances that they get blocked or whatever, we’re going to have to do our job in the backfield — give them a second or two to get to the quarterback. If we’re both doing our jobs at the same time, it’s a dominant defense.”

On his leadership — “I only know how to be one thing — I genuinely care for the guys that I play with. That’s the kind of relationship I build with guys. We have conversations about everything, not just football. We get ot know each other on and off the field. The thing that I’ve always believed in a defense is you have 100 percent trust the guy next to you. But not just trust them, you have to respect them. We’re going to have respect for one another… Everyone is going to come in and do their job, but not just do it — be excited about it.”

1:47 p.m. MST: On what it was about McDaniels that enticed him to come to Denver — “I drank the orange kool-aid. It’s all about winning. It’s about his passion and his leadership, and I bought into it right away.”

1:48 p.m. MST: On what was important about a destination where he could end up, in terms of his family — “You see my family here — they mean the world ot me. I want to make sure they’re somewhere they’ll be happy. I want them to flourish and bloom. I was in Philadelphia for 13 years. I could practically drive to work with my eyes closed. From everything I’ve heard of this place and once I got here and saw the beautiful surroundings, I think I’m going to love this place. I wasn’t skeptical — it was just a lot of deep thought.”

1:49 p.m. MST: On playing at INVESCO Field at Mile High — “It didn’t end too well (laughs). When I’m on the road, I’m not paying attention to the fans there. My focus is on the job at hand. I know about the tradition here, the winning tradition. I know about the safeties that have come through here and been flat-out terrors. Hopefully I’ll be able to jump right in there.”

1:50 p.m. MST: On when he first thought of himself as a Denver Bronco — “I think when I first got over here today and saw the orange jersey. I went to Clemson and wore orange, so I’m going to wear orange again with this defense. I’m going to wear it with pride and hold it up high.”

1:52 p.m. MST: On the importance of community work — “I’ve been blessed so much with my time in the NFL that that’s a part of who I am. I believe, with my faith, that that’s what it’s about — to give. Once I get out here with my feet on the ground, I’ll be able to step out and see what areas the Lord wants me to go to.”

1:53 p.m. MST: On if he’s excited to play Philadelphia in 2009 — “Do we know who we’re playing in our first game? That’s who I’m excited about playing. That first preseason game, I’m excited about that.”

1:54 p.m. MST: On what made him decide to come here, knowing he wants to win now at this point in his career — ” Just lisetening to Josh and his excitement. They’re reaching out to start something and do something now. You didn’t hear any wavering in what they said. They weren’t searching for words. What they felt is what they told me, and I believed it.”

1:57 p.m. MST: He said he has not yet spoken with any of his new defensive teammates but he looks forward to talking with all of them very soon.

That ends the press conference, and now he’s taking photos with his family. His kids are all wearing Broncos gear, and Dawkins just put on his orange No. 20 jersey.

honz
02-28-2009, 10:21 PM
The video is now up at denverbroncos.com (http://www.denverbroncos.com/).