PDA

View Full Version : Thomas overcame rocky upbringing to become Broncos hero

Denver Native (Carol)
01-12-2012, 02:12 PM
DENVER -- With a black sharpie in his right hand, Denver Broncos receiver Demaryius Thomas turned over his left arm before Sunday's game against the Steelers and began writing the names of two women.

He started on the backside of his wrist, working toward the inside of his elbow, one name inked next to the other: Katina and Minnie. For the next five hours, Thomas looked down at that arm often, a vivid reminder of relentless love and loyalty.

"It made me remember who I was doing this for," Thomas said Wednesday during a private interview in a back hallway at the Broncos' training facility.

rest of article - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d825ee60a/article/thomas-overcame-rocky-upbringing-to-become-broncos-hero?module=HP11_cp

Tned
01-12-2012, 02:18 PM
Along the same lines, here's an article about Thomas' path to the NFL, including details about his mother & grandmother in prison, that Lindsay Jones wrote ini 2010:

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_15596508

Dapper Dan
01-12-2012, 02:30 PM
I hope this reminds fans that these players are people. I wonder how many fans trashed Thomas for not putting up numbers of a first round pick, not knowing or caring what he's been through and what he goes through.

BroncoNut
01-12-2012, 02:34 PM
I hope this reminds fans that these players are people. I wonder how many fans trashed Thomas for not putting up numbers of a first round pick, not knowing or caring what he's been through and what he goes through.

yeah, I really admire these types of players. I like his story and his Aunt and Uncle sound really stand up

Tned
01-12-2012, 02:36 PM

FWIW, I've been someone who has stated, and believes, that the off field stuff doesn't matter. I don't care if Tebow is a near saint, or that Marshall was an accused girlfriend beater. All I care about is what they do on the field. Yea, all things being equal, I prefer the nice guy, but it's secondary and only when "all other things are equal."

NightTerror218
01-12-2012, 02:37 PM
He does have a good head on his shoulder and shows maturity some have lacked coming out of college

BroncoNut
01-12-2012, 02:39 PM
He does have a good head on his shoulder and shows maturity some have lacked coming out of college

so what are you saying? that people that went to college are immature and stupid or something?

NightTerror218
01-12-2012, 02:41 PM
so what are you saying? that people that went to college are immature and stupid or something?

Not all but some do not mature right out of college. I went to college. I have RECENT first hand experience. How did you act at 21, 22 or 23?

Dapper Dan
01-12-2012, 02:42 PM
FWIW, I've been someone who has stated, and believes, that the off field stuff doesn't matter. I don't care if Tebow is a near saint, or that Marshall was an accused girlfriend beater. All I care about is what they do on the field. Yea, all things being equal, I prefer the nice guy, but it's secondary and only when "all other things are equal."

I'm talking about the fact that these guys are people like the rest of us. And they weren't just given this NFL job. They worked for it. And when you trash someone for their on field performance and leave everything else out. Well then you're assuming the football field on Sunday is the only thing they are. That's like viewing them like they're some kind of bull or horse at a rodeo.

BroncoNut
01-12-2012, 02:45 PM
Not all but some do not mature right out of college. I went to college. I have RECENT first hand experience. How did you act at 21, 22 or 23?

I was ribbing you a bit. I was a nice kid, but completely clueless coming out. I see that in alot of people that age that I encounter. some really have their shit together though too. I was really trying to get my act together in college, but I had reall tough times after school with my career path and all. growing pains they were.

iLands
01-12-2012, 02:55 PM

You don't think that things off the field affect production on the field?

Heck, things off the field can get players removed from play (Vick, Plax, or even a case like Pete Rose) and I like players that I know will continue to play.

EDIT: Not saying that I think DT has those flaws or anything, but I disagree with your thesis.

NightTerror218
01-12-2012, 02:56 PM
I was ribbing you a bit. I was a nice kid, but completely clueless coming out. I see that in alot of people that age that I encounter. some really have their shit together though too. I was really trying to get my act together in college, but I had reall tough times after school with my career path and all. growing pains they were.

I was a straight up party boy. Bar hopping all the time, happy hours. Prob why I "extended my college career" a couple more years. What got me to mature quickly was moving to Alaska to be on my own right out of college. Nothing like moving to place that is 3,000 miles from the anyone that you know.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-12-2012, 03:04 PM

However, there is a possibility what they do off the field, can also take them off the playing field. I would rather not have that type of possibility on the Broncos.

NightTerror218
01-12-2012, 03:08 PM
However, there is a possibility what they do off the field, can also take them off the playing field. I would rather not have that type of possibility on the Broncos.

like Cox

DenBronx
01-12-2012, 03:16 PM
Thomas is a very humble kid...is there any doubt barring injury that he's going to be a star in the NFL? If he can stay healthy he will be a huge threat in any game. He's got all the tools to do it and no character issues off the field. I'm very excited to see what he can do long term.

It seems we have alot of high character guys on the team and that spreads around the locker room. A total team.

BroncoNut
01-12-2012, 03:18 PM
I was a straight up party boy. Bar hopping all the time, happy hours. Prob why I "extended my college career" a couple more years. What got me to mature quickly was moving to Alaska to be on my own right out of college. Nothing like moving to place that is 3,000 miles from the anyone that you know.

that's cool. what are you doing up there? do you go to russia sometimes?

your college career was like mine, cept I got out in 4 years. made the conciuos decision to do that at the beginning of my jr. year.

WTE
01-12-2012, 03:23 PM

I'm very good at guessing what fraternity guys went to 'cuz I pick up on things that others don't.

Was it Kappa Sig?

NightTerror218
01-12-2012, 05:17 PM
I'm very good at guessing what fraternity guys went to 'cuz I pick up on things that others don't.

Was it Kappa Sig?

haha, nope

why not look at my name.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-12-2012, 08:15 PM
This was just on the local FOX channel, and it is DT talking about his his tough childhood.

The video is definitely worth watching

http://www.kdvr.com/news/kdvr-tough-childhood-made-me-who-i-am-today-says-broncos-demaryius-thomas-20120111,0,269216.story