PDA

View Full Version : Broncos talking to CB Andre Goodman

Denver Native (Carol)
02-28-2009, 02:10 PM
Hope this hasn't already been posted:

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_11808229?source=rss

As the Broncos hammer out the final details on a contract with free agent safety, the team will also bring in free agent cornerback Andre Goodman for a visit today.

Goodman, 30, started all 16 games for the Miami Dolphins last season and led the team with five interceptions.

Brian Dawkins, 35, would be the biggest name in a large class of free agents. He played 13 seasons with the Eagles and was named to seven Pro Bowls before entering free agency Thursday night.

Providing there are no final-minute disagreements on contract language, Dawkins would join Renaldo Hill, 30, as the Broncos" new, but extremely experienced, safety tandem.

Hill was the Dolphins" starting safety for the past three seasons.

Cheez Whiz
02-28-2009, 02:16 PM
Rebuild? Nah!

We'll just get the oldest players in the league and bring them here.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-28-2009, 02:37 PM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y26/27atwater/andre4.jpg

SmilinAssasSin27
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y26/27atwater/andre.jpg

SmilinAssasSin27
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y26/27atwater/andre2.jpg

SmilinAssasSin27
02-28-2009, 02:38 PM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y26/27atwater/andre3.jpg

BeefStew25
02-28-2009, 02:38 PM
Whoa. I guess Jim Goodman got himself some Brown Sugar back in the day. Whoa.

Rex
02-28-2009, 02:39 PM
I wonder if Smilin ass took all of these pictures his little self?

SmilinAssasSin27
02-28-2009, 02:42 PM
nope. I google

broncobryce
02-28-2009, 02:59 PM
He looks good, man. (horrible. not funny. shoot me now.)

turftoad
02-28-2009, 03:04 PM
Rebuild? Nah!

The seniors citizens bus will be picking them all up before the games. :D

Italianmobstr7
02-28-2009, 03:40 PM
I like Goodman.

underrated29
02-28-2009, 03:52 PM
Why are we raiding the dolphins????

I mean- dont the dolphins pretty much suck balls. Yea they had one 11-5 season what about the rest. 5-11?

Please, bring in talent, if its old that fine, or if its young but could be good. But not old guys average guys who played on crappy teams.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-01-2009, 03:08 PM
"Dolphins free agent cornerback Andre Goodman has tentative plans to visit the Browns if he doesn't sign with the Broncos today, his agent Jason Chayut said Sunday. As of Sunday morning, Goodman was still visiting with the Broncos. "There's nothing concrete with the Browns yet,'' he said. "We'll see how it plays out as the day goes on.'' Goodman, an eighth-year pro, also told the Miami Herald that there's a chance he could re-sign with the Dolphins. Goodman, originally a third-round pick of the Lions out of South Carolina in 2002, started all 16 games for the Dolphins last season, making 39 tackles and intercepting a career-high five passes. He'd compete with cornerbacks Eric Wright and ..."

shank
03-01-2009, 03:10 PM
do social security benefits provide cap relief?

SmilinAssasSin27
03-01-2009, 03:15 PM
I really hope he moves along. Greer has yet to sign anywhere...same w/ McFadden.

dogfish
03-01-2009, 05:13 PM
Lions | Not close to deal with Greer
Sun, 01 Mar 2009 12:23:44 -0800

Adam Caplan, of Scout.com, reports the Detroit Lions are not close to an agreement with unrestricted free-agent CB Jabari Greer (Bills), according to a source.

i hope denver isn't in too big of a hurry to sign goodman-- look around, see where the market sets the price for some better options. . .

dogfish
03-01-2009, 07:13 PM
well, there's a report up on the mane that we've signed him-- no link, though. . . .

BigCurly1230
03-01-2009, 07:14 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/Home_NFL.aspx

Free agent CB Andre' Goodman has signed a multi-year contract with the Broncos, according to the National Football Post.
We'll wait for ex-Denver beat writer Adam Schefter to confirm. Goodman is turning 31 and coming off a career year. The Broncos' secondary looks old.
Source: National Football Post

SmilinAssasSin27
03-01-2009, 07:16 PM
frick on a stick.

slim
03-01-2009, 07:20 PM
I am glad that I am drunk.

I am (mostly) willing to give Mcjunglebush a chance...but I have a very bad feeling about what I have seen so far.

Clay, hold me.

Lonestar
03-01-2009, 07:21 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/Home_NFL.aspx

Free agent CB Andre' Goodman has signed a multi-year contract with the Broncos, according to the National Football Post.
We'll wait for ex-Denver beat writer Adam Schefter to confirm. Goodman is turning 31 and coming off a career year. The Broncos' secondary looks old.
Source: National Football Post

many of the best DB/Cb's are old.. who the fly cares.. WAS had Greene on the payroll till he was 42..

Just because you have lost step just means you do not allow the WR behind you.. or YOU HAVE a deep safety to help out..

You gain in knowledge for every play you make and the smart ones make adjustments to their game as they lose a step..

DUH..

honz
03-01-2009, 07:23 PM
I'm thinking that our plan is to solidify our offense through FA, sign some solid vets that can get our defense headed in the right direction, and draft a bunch of young defensive players that will eventually replace said vets. At least that's what it looks like to judging by our signings so far.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-01-2009, 07:24 PM
agreed...bvut this still sux. We have some cash to use. We could have had a CB that mattered. Either Greer or McFadden would have been worlds better than McGoodman.

G_Money
03-01-2009, 07:25 PM
Same age as Bly was, right? That's fine. 31 isn't ancient as a corner - you don't take the pounding of some other positions.

Goodman's okay, not great. Of course, so was Bly. We'll see what the contract comes in at. I'm with dogfish, I'd hate to overpay Andre when there are better options whose prices appear to be falling.

~G

honz
03-01-2009, 07:50 PM
http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/03/01/broncos-give-ex-dolphins-cb-goodman-five-year-deal/

The Denver Broncos and free-agent CB Andre Goodman agreed Sunday night on a five-year, $25 million contract that includes over $10 million in guaranteed money. Goodman is a seven-year NFL veteran who started all 16 regular-season games for the Miami Dolphins last season and had a team-high five interceptions.

SmilinAssasSin27
Wow...I wonder how much Bills gear costs.

dogfish
clay, hold me too. . . .

Drill-N-Fill
03-01-2009, 09:58 PM
Goodman is decent. Solid tackler, but gets beat by the double move alot. Will go for the pick and risk getting beat. Plays hard every play. I just hope he is our Nickle.

atwater27
03-01-2009, 09:59 PM
I think in this case the Broncos management cadre decided they felt a little bad about uncerimoniously firing the Goodmans, so they made up for it by signing a corner named Goodman. That would make perfect sense considering the other hoopla this weekend.

oobehr
03-01-2009, 10:46 PM
So many people are calling every move we make a bad move.
"Don't sign Dawkins, he's not playing good anymore."
"Don't sign Goodman, he's not good enough."

Goodman will do just fine opposite Bailey, and if we can get some pressure through the front, we will look back and say "I am glad we signed goodman."
The other thing about goodman is we know he isn't past his prime, he is 30, and had his best season by far last year on the most improved defense. You people need to have a little more faith in our team and who we bring in to help our dilapidated defense.

atwater27
03-01-2009, 11:04 PM
. You people need to have a little more faith in our team and who we bring in to help our dilapidated defense.

Faith? The only thing McDaniels has done so far is get rid of the skiled personell evaluators and completely fumble his relationship with Cutler. He has got alot to prove before I develop any sort of 'faith'.

G_Money
03-01-2009, 11:22 PM
Goodman is decent. Solid tackler, but gets beat by the double move alot. Will go for the pick and risk getting beat. Plays hard every play. I just hope he is our Nickle.

He better not be for $25 Million.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nflnation?tag=09%20free%20agency

Andre Goodman has accepted a five-year, $25 million deal to play for the Denver Broncos, joining Renaldo Hill as starters from last year's secondary that have gone Mile High.

We replaced Bly with a slightly-better-tackling Bly. *shrugs* Price-wise, I think we still come out ahead, and Goodman is a decent dude AFAIK so he should help with whatever locker room presences we wind up with.

~G

dogfish
03-01-2009, 11:32 PM
You people need to have a little more faith in our team and who we bring in to help our dilapidated defense.

FYI, that's EXACTLY what most of the people around here were saying about marquand manuel, marlon mccree and niko k. about a year ago. . . . i don't have anything against goodman, but he's not really the kind of guy that overwhelms me with confidence given just how bad our _efense was last year-- i'm going to wait and see how all these second and third tier vets work out before i call them good signings. . .

keithbishop
03-01-2009, 11:46 PM
FYI, that's EXACTLY what most of the people around here were saying about marquand manuel, marlon mccree and niko k. about a year ago. . . . i don't have anything against goodman, but he's not really the kind of guy that overwhelms me with confidence given just how bad our _efense was last year-- i'm going to wait and see how all these second and third tier vets work out before i call them good signings. . .

That sounds fair.

I'm OK with the signing, but won't obsess over the $25 mil. He won't be here for 5 years, thus he won't collect all $25 mil. Not a chance. Does the deal include roster bonuses at the back end of the deal? No one knows at this point.

All that matters is the $10 mil. guaranteed, his performance the first 2, maybe 3 years and his cap cost in years 3,4, and 5.... assuming he's not a complete bust like Niko "I couldn't beat out Nate Webster for a starting spot" Koutouvides and we ditch him after the first year.

dogfish
03-01-2009, 11:50 PM
That sounds fair.

I'm OK with the signing, but won't obsess over the $25 mil. He won't be here for 5 years, thus he won't collect all $25 mil. Not a chance. Does the deal include roster bonuses at the back end of the deal? No one knows at this point.

All that matters is the $10 mil. guaranteed, his performance the first 2, maybe 3 years and his cap cost in years 3,4, and 5.... assuming he's not a complete bust like Niko "I couldn't beat out Nate Webster for a starting spot" Koutouvides and we ditch him after the first year.

correct. . . i'm sure that when we see the deatils, in reality it'll look more like a two or three years deal (at least it better!). . . and just to be clear, i don't have any complaint with that dollar amount-- although i am going to be curious as to what guys like bryant mcfadden, leigh bodden and jabari greer get, as i would have preferred one of them based on their age. . .

keithbishop
03-02-2009, 12:02 AM
correct. . . i'm sure that when we see the deatils, in reality it'll look more like a two or three years deal (at least it better!). . . and just to be clear, i don't have any complaint with that dollar amount-- although i am going to be curious as to what guys like bryant mcfadden, leigh bodden and jabari greer get, as i would have preferred one of them based on their age. . .

Isn't that frustrating? We all have our sights set on certain targets in FA, but often end up with a "well...he's OK" type instead. It will be very interesting to see what McFadden and co. get.

Equally frustrating is that, without contract details, we don't know how much cap room is still available. Signing Canty would make me feel a lot better about this weekend, though, bad events aside, I'm still buzzing hard over the addition of Dawkins.

G_Money
03-02-2009, 12:07 AM
Canty signed with the Giants, Keith. Sorry man, no salvation for this weekend. :tsk:

~G

keithbishop
03-02-2009, 12:30 AM
Canty signed with the Giants, Keith. Sorry man, no salvation for this weekend. :tsk:

~G

Wonderful. I blame you!!

Oh, wait..... don't kill the messenger, right? My mistake.

rcsodak
03-02-2009, 01:08 AM
Rebuild? Nah!

McD has publicly stated he's not here to necessarily rebuild and have the fans endure shitty seasons. He wants to win now, AND in the future. Much the same as NE does. They bring in older players that are proven, and leaders, while building their base through the draft.

All that's left to see, is how they fare in the draft.

rcsodak
03-02-2009, 01:10 AM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y26/27atwater/andre3.jpg

I have a question>>>>>

Why is a cb always pictured with the ball in his hands? Is that normal?

rcsodak
03-02-2009, 01:11 AM
why are we raiding the dolphins????

I mean- dont the dolphins pretty much suck balls. Yea they had one 11-5 season what about the rest. 5-11?

Please, bring in talent, if its old that fine, or if its young but could be good. But not old guys average guys who played on crappy teams.

11-5 > 8-8

rcsodak
03-02-2009, 01:15 AM
http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/03/01/broncos-give-ex-dolphins-cb-goodman-five-year-deal/

Which means it's more than likely a 3yr contract - $3mill/yr. Nothing bad for a vet cb.

dogfish
03-02-2009, 05:26 PM
Isn't that frustrating? We all have our sights set on certain targets in FA, but often end up with a "well...he's OK" type instead. It will be very interesting to see what McFadden and co. get.

here's one point of comparison. . . .

Rams | Bartell agrees to terms
Mon, 02 Mar 2009 13:50:31 -0800

Jim Thomas, of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, reports the St. Louis Rams have agreed to terms with unrestricted free-agent CB Ron Bartell (Rams) on a four-year deal worth $28 million. The contract includes $13.6 million in guarantees.

so the average yearly value is 7 million compared to the 5 we're paying goodman, and the guaranteed money is 13.5 million compared to 10 million. . . i'm not such a huge bartell fan, but i know that other people think he's a quality, up-and-coming young corner-- IF that's the case, i'd say that i like the deal they got better than ours. . . but i'm more interested to see what mcfadden, greer and bodden get, because i would absolutely have taken any of them over goodman-- especially if the price isn't too drastically different. . . again, i don't have anything against goodman, but i just have this feeling that we could have brought in a younger guy with more good years in the tank without breaking the bank if we'd been a little more patient. . . maybe this is totally wrong, but i just don't see goodman as the kind of guy that teams would have been lining up to grab if we didn't lock him up immediately. . . .

rcsodak
03-02-2009, 11:12 PM
here's one point of comparison. . . .

Rams | Bartell agrees to terms
Mon, 02 Mar 2009 13:50:31 -0800

Jim Thomas, of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, reports the St. Louis Rams have agreed to terms with unrestricted free-agent CB Ron Bartell (Rams) on a four-year deal worth $28 million. The contract includes $13.6 million in guarantees.

so the average yearly value is 7 million compared to the 5 we're paying goodman, and the guaranteed money is 13.5 million compared to 10 million. . . i'm not such a huge bartell fan, but i know that other people think he's a quality, up-and-coming young corner-- IF that's the case, i'd say that i like the deal they got better than ours. . . but i'm more interested to see what mcfadden, greer and bodden get, because i would absolutely have taken any of them over goodman-- especially if the price isn't too drastically different. . . again, i don't have anything against goodman, but i just have this feeling that we could have brought in a younger guy with more good years in the tank without breaking the bank if we'd been a little more patient. . . maybe this is totally wrong, but i just don't see goodman as the kind of guy that teams would have been lining up to grab if we didn't lock him up immediately. . . .

It could all be moot if McD drafts a good CB, no?

He's looking at 2-3 yrs, max. Just long enough to bring along a new CB.

Follow NE's personnel moves....nobody stays for long, unless they're on the Dline and/or LB.

TXBRONC
03-02-2009, 11:21 PM
Rebuild? Nah!

If Bailey, Dawkins, Hill and Goodman, all start that gives the one of the oldest if not the oldest secondary in the League doesn't it?

dogfish
03-02-2009, 11:44 PM
It could all be moot if McD drafts a good CB, no?

He's looking at 2-3 yrs, max. Just long enough to bring along a new CB.

Follow NE's personnel moves....nobody stays for long, unless they're on the Dline and/or LB.

absolutely!

now look at our front seven and tell me if we can afford to spend a high pick on a cornerback. . . . that's my concern. . . . maybe we can draft one next year, but they have to get it right. . . for a few more million, we could probably have filled that spot for the next 5-6 years instead of the next 2. . . as i've said, it's not that i hate the move-- it's okay. . . i think we could have done better, though. . .

fcspikeit
03-04-2009, 05:19 AM
He better not be for $25 Million.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nflnation?tag=09%20free%20agency

We replaced Bly with a slightly-better-tackling Bly. *shrugs* Price-wise, I think we still come out ahead, and Goodman is a decent dude AFAIK so he should help with whatever locker room presences we wind up with.

~G

I don't really know that much about Goodman but I wonder why we didn't go after Drayton Florence? He just signed a two-year deal worth $6.6 million..

That's 1.5 Mill less then we're paying Goodman and Florence is only 28.. I always thought Florence was a pretty good corner back when he was with SD... :confused:

CoachChaz
03-04-2009, 08:32 AM
Did it ever to occur to anyone that some players just might not have any desire to play in Denver?

Zweems56
03-04-2009, 08:53 AM
did it ever to occur to anyone that some players just might not have any desire to play in denver?

every free agent must be ours!

fcspikeit
03-05-2009, 06:06 PM
agreed...bvut this still sux. We have some cash to use. We could have had a CB that mattered. Either Greer or McFadden would have been worlds better than McGoodman.

Wow...I wonder how much Bills gear costs.

The Denver Broncos and free-agent CB Andre Goodman agreed Sunday night on a five-year, $25 million contract that includes over $10 million in guaranteed money. Goodman is a seven-year NFL veteran who started all 16 regular-season games for the Miami Dolphins last season and had a team-high five interceptions.

Jabari Greer's four-year, $23 million contract with the Saints includes $10 million guaranteed.
Greer doesn't have the upside of Ronald Bartell, but this looks like a solid deal. Greer's guarantee is $3.6M less over the same length. These contracts are making it look like Baltimore overpaid for Domonique Foxworth ($16.5M guaranteed over four). Andre' Goodman got a $9.8M guarantee at age 31.
Source: scout.com

So Greer signed for less guaranteed money then we paid Goodman :tsk:

At 31, I doubt Goodman will play out the 5 years so the guaranteed money is the biggest factor in the contract's.

Rams re-signed CB Ronald Bartell to a four-year, $28 million contract. The deal includes $13.6 million guaranteed.
St. Louis kept him for $2.9M less in guarantees than Domonique Foxworth's deal, over the same length. Bartell, 27, was a second-round pick in 2005 and took a few years to transition from D-IAA Howard, but has become a reliable cover man and tackler. He has eight picks in his last three seasons and broke up 19 passes in 2008. The Rams still need to find a viable bookend. Maybe the light will flip on for Tye Hill under Steve Spagnuolo, but we doubt it.
Source: New Orleans Times-Picayune

SmilinAssasSin27
03-05-2009, 06:10 PM
Who am I legally allowed to shoot?

fcspikeit
03-05-2009, 06:16 PM

As late in FA as it is, I can't imagine McFadden getting much more then that either.. :tsk:

Dean
03-06-2009, 12:28 PM
Did it ever to occur to anyone that some players just might not have any desire to play in Denver?

Did it ever occur to anyone that there may not be personnel with the experience in player acquisition to find and sign some of this talent that we missed. From an earlier article today, it sounds like McKid is the lone ranger in evaluating free agents. It is a big job. I would think it is too big for just one man who hadn't spent the past season evaluating what talent would be on the market.

One earlier signing indicated that the Broncos were just to late contacting him that his deal had been worked out and was just waiting for his signiture. Would earlier contact have made the difference? However, the late contact guaranteed losing him.

fcspikeit
03-08-2009, 07:51 PM

Mcfadden signed with the Cards for 2 years 10 Mill.. The report said he got a 5 Mill signing Bonus.. Does anyone know, does the 5 Mill come out of the contract or is it 10 Mill plus the 5 Mill signing bonus?

In other wards, is he making 5 Mill a year or 7.5?

Drill-N-Fill
03-08-2009, 08:00 PM
Mcfadden signed with the Cards for 2 years 10 Mill.. The report said he got a 5 Mill signing Bonus.. Does anyone know, does the 5 Mill come out of the contract or is it 10 Mill plus the 5 Mill signing bonus?

In other wards, is he making 5 Mill a year or 7.5?

5 mil per year + signing bonus (which could be spread in the 2 years).

fcspikeit
03-08-2009, 09:14 PM
5 mil per year + signing bonus (which could be spread in the 2 years).

So if they cut him after next year, he would make around 10 Mill for 1 year? Depending on how the contract is laid out of course. Either way he will make 15 Mill for 2 years..

fcspikeit
03-11-2009, 07:33 PM
Leigh Bodden signed with the Pats for $2.25 million (that includes the signing bonus)