PDA

View Full Version : 20 Years Later: Still Just as Bitter

vandammage13
01-12-2012, 10:38 AM
http://www.nfl.com/videos/denver-broncos/09000d5d825e7475/Remember-when-1991-AFC-Championship-Game

Today is the 20 year anniversary of our loss in the AFC championship game to the Bills...NFL.com has a pretty good video on it if you want to check it out.

We should have won that game, but Treadwell missed 3 or 4 FGs, and Elway threw an interception on a screen pass that was returned for a TD.

Our Defense was awesome that game and Gary Kubiak almost brought us back after John was knocked out of the game but we fumbled the ball away on the potential game winning/tying drive.

We had a great team that year and I think we could have beat the Redskins that year in what would have been our 1st Superbowl victory.

If you want to check the video out it also brings back some great memories of the Zubaz pants era.
http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/38/2d/e858e03ae7a09dee2e071210.L.jpg

BroncoJoe
01-12-2012, 11:12 AM
That's OK. Yesterday was the 30th anniversary of "The Drive".

Thnikkaman
01-12-2012, 11:19 AM
That's OK. Yesterday was the 30th anniversary of "The Drive".

25th. I was 9, not 4 when it happened.

skins_fan82
01-12-2012, 11:23 AM
if it makes you feel any better, my Washington Redskins beat Jim Kelly and the Bills in the Superbowl that year. :)

and I won't mention Superbowl XXII when the Redskins scored 42 unanswered points against the Broncos ;)

BroncoNut
01-12-2012, 11:33 AM
if it makes you feel any better, my Washington Redskins beat Jim Kelly and the Bills in the Superbowl that year. :)

and I won't mention Superbowl XXII when the Redskins scored 42 unanswered points against the Broncos ;)

where do you live skins_fan? I'm a great guy in the washington area. Just a bit lonely and craving for human contact. pm me your digits.

Fullback32
01-12-2012, 12:10 PM
If it's any consolation, the Bills lost four in a row. FOUR IN A ROW TO NFC EAST TEAMS (except the She-Gals...hehe). You would have thought they could have one at least one of those. What a bunch of chumps. At least the Broncos had separation between their SB losses and made up for it it later with TD on board. Then again, can you imagine being an old Oilers fan? Never even made it to the SB and the biggest let down of all being the '92 season when they blew a 32 point lead at half-time against the Bills! I was still living in Texas at the time and we were all hoping for a Cowboys-Oilers SB. CHUMPS!!!

Fullback32
01-12-2012, 12:16 PM
[url]If you want to check the video out it also brings back some great memories of the Zubaz pants era.
http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/38/2d/e858e03ae7a09dee2e071210.L.jpg

Hehe, I humbly admit to having owned a pair of those pants. :embarassed:

vandammage13
01-12-2012, 12:19 PM

As did I :tsk:

Dzone
01-12-2012, 12:27 PM
That was great to watch. Thanks for posting that. I had totally forgotten about that game.
Brings back memories.

Fullback32
01-12-2012, 12:39 PM
As did I :tsk:

I have heard they are making a comeback. :shocked:

Jsteve01
01-12-2012, 12:44 PM
you guys owned them? you're sissies

I still wear mine around when Im doing yard work

Thnikkaman
01-12-2012, 12:49 PM
http://c-product.images.fansedge.com/32-27/32-27482-J.jpg

Fullback32
01-12-2012, 01:01 PM
you guys owned them? you're sissies

I still wear mine around when Im doing yard work

Yeah, the Snakeskin print in Cowboys colors with the Cowboys Star and logo. Okay, so they are in a drawer in my dresser and my wife is continually saying, "why don't you get rid of those"...what of it?! :D

BroncoJoe
01-12-2012, 01:46 PM
25th. I was 9, not 4 when it happened.

Oops! You are correct, sir.

OrangeHoof
01-12-2012, 01:51 PM
Denver's defense was great that day and it was very frustrating to watch. I think I gave my copy of that game to a Bills fan at the office.

HORSEPOWER 56
01-12-2012, 02:51 PM

I never had those pants...

...but I did rock that sweet hairdo... :tsk:

DenBronx
01-12-2012, 03:01 PM

Ever wonder what it would be like to be in a wheelchair and drink out of a straw the rest of your life?

PAINTERDAVE
01-12-2012, 04:08 PM

ME, too.

achey-breaky-big-mistakey
hockey hair
ape drape
business in front - party in back
kentucky waterfall
yep-nope
joe dirt
beaver paddle
canadian passport
mudflap
camero cut
Tennessee top hat
squirrel pelt
neck warmer/neck blanket

Mike
01-12-2012, 04:11 PM

KC fans still think that hairdo is in style.

BroncoStud
01-12-2012, 04:16 PM
The Jacksonville loss was worse, I'm still bitter about that one. The Broncos waited until the 4th quarter to even show up for a home playoff game against a major underdog in the divisional round... What a joke.

It seemed like Brunell scrambled for 200 yards in that game.

sneakers
01-12-2012, 04:57 PM
I remember watching that as a 10 year old boy....:(

skins_fan82
01-12-2012, 05:22 PM
Ever wonder what it would be like to be in a wheelchair and drink out of a straw the rest of your life?

No way dude, I want no parts of that LOL. Just giving you guys a little shit. :D

I live here in Denver now and I've become a huge Broncos fan. Since they're AFC, my father approved LOL

To even things out, ever since the Superbowl in 1991, the Washington Redskins have had losing seasons 14 out of the last 19 years. 16 different quarterbacks in 20 years. 5 head coaches. we've been absolutely DREADFUL. :(

But most insiders/analysts expect Shanny to trade the house for RG3 so I'm keeping my fingers crossed :)

MOtorboat
01-12-2012, 05:47 PM
I'll always remember how devastated Sewell was, because people were starting to think Elway's window might be closing. Man, I'm glad that turned out to be wrong.

Northman
01-12-2012, 06:27 PM
Yea, i vaguely remember that game but if i recall it was Bruce Smith who intercepted John and took it in? I think before that it was a 7-3 game with us in the lead? Been a while but i agree, it was a painful loss because we were so close to going to another SB. Dont know how our chances would of been once we got there but it would of still been nice to beat the Bills. I guess i can take consolation that they lost 4 straight and replaced our record for SB turnovers with their own during that stretch. lol

OrangeHoof
01-12-2012, 06:49 PM
Yea, i vaguely remember that game but if i recall it was Bruce Smith who intercepted John and took it in? I think before that it was a 7-3 game with us in the lead?

Without looking it up, I believe the guy who ran back the INT was Marvcus Patton.

red98
01-12-2012, 06:51 PM
Yea, i vaguely remember that game but if i recall it was Bruce Smith who intercepted John and took it in? I think before that it was a 7-3 game with us in the lead? Been a while but i agree, it was a painful loss because we were so close to going to another SB. Dont know how our chances would of been once we got there but it would of still been nice to beat the Bills. I guess i can take consolation that they lost 4 straight and replaced our record for SB turnovers with their own during that stretch. lol

Yeah you remember it right. Smith saw us running the same play for the fifth time and made the int.

That year we had the worst offense I ever remember the Broncos having. The 'skins would have slayed us. Our whole offense was Elway making the best of it though we did run the ball well.

I still wanted the win and the chance at the SB of course, especially after the Houston game.

Stats for the curious:

http://www.nfl.com/teams/statistics?season=1991&team=DEN&seasonType=

Edit: Oops! it was Carlton Bailey who made the int according to this article:

Late in the third quarter, the Broncos faced second down and 10 at their own 19-yard line. Elway attempted a middle screen pass to running back Steve Sewell (which had been Denver's most effective play), but it was tipped by Bills defensive lineman Jeff Wright into the arms of linebacker Carlton Bailey. Bailey broke an Elway tackle and returned the ball 11 yards for what would be Buffalo's only touchdown of the game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1991%E2%80%9392_NFL_playoffs#AFC_Championship:_Buf falo_Bills_10.2C_Denver_Broncos_7

Thnikkaman
01-13-2012, 11:23 AM
No way dude, I want no parts of that LOL. Just giving you guys a little shit. :D

I live here in Denver now and I've become a huge Broncos fan. Since they're AFC, my father approved LOL

To even things out, ever since the Superbowl in 1991, the Washington Redskins have had losing seasons 14 out of the last 19 years. 16 different quarterbacks in 20 years. 5 head coaches. we've been absolutely DREADFUL. :(

But most insiders/analysts expect Shanny to trade the house for RG3 so I'm keeping my fingers crossed :)

You ever listen to the old Don and Mike show?

Shazam!
01-14-2012, 01:16 PM
The Jacksonville loss was worse, I'm still bitter about that one. The Broncos waited until the 4th quarter to even show up for a home playoff game against a major underdog in the divisional round... What a joke.

I'm over it now but I will never forget the sting of that game. I've never felt like that, even after getting creamed in Super Bowls. I was miserable for months and had no interest in anything. It was terrible. I probably suffered from genuine depression. I wish I knew they'd win the Super Bowl the next year...

Medford Bronco
01-14-2012, 01:38 PM

Michael dean perry not getting off the
Field on a punt that gave jax a 1st
Down. What a fat slob helped lose
That game.