PDA

View Full Version : Big splash on deck in free agency pool

Denver Native (Carol)
02-28-2009, 10:38 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11804972

A new coach and a new general manager were given a new toy.

What to do with this piece of mediocrity that was the Broncos' roster?

Josh McDaniels, the new coach, and Brian Xanders, the new general manager, seemed to stare in befuddlement at first. Then they began to systematically tear it apart.

Finally, starting late Thursday and all day Friday, McDaniels and Xanders got to have fun.

They started putting the Broncos back together again.

Working prudently and aggressively, the Broncos signed five free agents — running backs Correll Buckhalter and J.J. Arrington, receiver Jabar Gaffney, long snapper Lonie Paxton and safety Renaldo Hill — to relatively modest, long-term contracts. They also reached an agreement with defensive tackle Darrell Reid.

There were no splashes as the Broncos dived into the free-agent pool, just ripple after ripple after ripple. However, the Broncos can drop a cannonball that would shake the league from here to the Liberty Bell if they can finish off a deal for Brian Dawkins.

A seven-time Pro Bowl safety, Dawkins, 35, has played his entire 13-year career with the Philadelphia Eagles.

Dawkins flew to Denver on Friday night to visit with the Broncos. Would he end his career with the Broncos much like Broncos safety Steve Atwater finished off his career with the New York Jets?

McDaniels no doubt envisions Dawkins playing the leadership/monster back role Rodney Harrison played so well in recent years for the New England Patriots.

"There seems to be a lot of the Patriot Way going on, doesn't it?" agent J.R. Rickert said.

There may be no greater compliment. McDaniels was the Patriots' offensive coordinator until he succeeded the fired Mike Shanahan as Broncos head coach in January. Gaffney, a versatile No. 3-type receiver, spent the past three of his seven NFL seasons in New England. Paxton played his entire nine-year career in New England.

And in Buckhalter and Arrington, McDaniels no doubt sees versions of Kevin Faulk, the unheralded back whose versatility has been an invaluable component to the Patriots' offense since 1999.

All but Hill had been reserves. The Broncos also signed Houston Texans restricted free agent and former Colorado State receiver David Anderson to an offer sheet. The Texans have a week to match the Broncos' offer for the No. 3-type receiver. If they don't, the Broncos would essentially get Anderson in a trade for a seventh-round draft pick.

The volume of players the Broncos pursued speaks to the $37 million in salary cap room they created before free agency. The second-tier-type players they are bringing in suggest the Broncos are not loaded with piles of cash.

They had interest in cornerback Ron Bartell, receiver Michael Clayton and nose tackle Grady Jackson, but those players are at least initially seeking contracts beyond the Broncos' total free-agent budget.

"Everybody is feeling the pinch of the recession and the downturn of the economy," Broncos owner Pat Bowlen said before the NFL scouting combine last week. "So it's not like we feel we have a lot of money to throw around. That should come as no surprise to anybody. Newspapers are threatening to close, stores are closing all over the place, auto dealerships are complaining, and we're not immune to any of that."

Gaffney and Hill each received four-year, $10 million contracts. Paxton received a five-year, $5.3 million deal. Buckhalter and Arrington each got four-year deals.

Buckhalter, 30, missed the 2002, 2004 and 2005 seasons with knee injuries, but was a productive No. 2 running back behind Brian Westbrook the past three seasons with the Eagles. He rushed for 369 yards on 4.9 yards per carry and had 324 yards receiving this past season.

Arrington, 26, had 187 yards rushing, 255 yards receiving and 923 yards in kickoff returns for the NFC champion Arizona Cardinals last season.

"Correll has always said when the opportunity presented itself that he would seek an opportunity to start," said Rickert, the agent for Buckhalter and Arrington. "The Broncos are giving him that opportunity. I think Correll and J.J. will complement each other very well."

Meanwhile, the Broncos are also engaged in serious negotiations with free-agent linebacker Andra Davis, according to a source close to negotiations. Discussions had focused on a two- or three-year deal.

Should Dawkins and Davis sign, the Broncos would continue scouring the free-agent pool for a starting right cornerback, nose tackle, at least one defensive end and possibly a backup quarterback.

McDaniels and Xanders are in charge of building a roster for the first time. They're going to play with it for a while.

GEM
02-28-2009, 10:41 AM
That's all great....but do ya think they can stop looking at WR's long enough to possibly check out some guys for the REAL problem on this roster...the DLine?

:tsk:

Denver Native (Carol)
02-28-2009, 10:54 AM
That's all great....but do ya think they can stop looking at WR's long enough to possibly check out some guys for the REAL problem on this roster...the DLine?

:tsk:

Totally agree. Don't know about any one else, but right now, the Broncos somewhat resemble an expansion team of the Pats :tsk:

GEM
02-28-2009, 11:00 AM
Totally agree. Don't know about any one else, but right now, the Broncos somewhat resemble an expansion team of the Pats :tsk:

I guess we have to wait and see the end result. I guess there could be a lot worse teams to Kraft (hehe) yourself after, but our offense was phenom before you got here McKidd. I don't want him changing a couple things around and trying to take credit when we already had a top 3 offense before he got here. Work on what is broke...the D.

GEM
02-28-2009, 11:03 AM
And another thing....if you are going to attempt to fix anything on Special Teams....try not to start off with a LS change when the previous was perfectly fine...try getting some players that can tackle...oh wait Mike Leach was one of our leading ST tacklers as well. :yardog:

topscribe
02-28-2009, 11:09 AM
I guess we have to wait and see the end result. I guess there could be a lot worse teams to Kraft (hehe) yourself after, but our offense was phenom before you got here McKidd. I don't want him changing a couple things around and trying to take credit when we already had a top 3 offense before he got here. Work on what is broke...the D.

Exactly. The author said, "They started putting the Broncos back together
again," then immediately mentioned RBs, WRs, and long snapper. When were
they apart? :confused:

Then they went after Reid and Dawkins. Why didn't they start with them?

. . . and it's going to take me a while to get over the long snapper thing . . .

-----

elsid13
02-28-2009, 11:11 AM

We knew that we be getting influx of PATs and 49ers to the team. That just the way it happens. Problem is that it appears to be the wrong Pats.

Hopefully Fields is signed today and helps shore up the NT spot.

GEM
02-28-2009, 11:23 AM

. . . and it's going to take me a while to get over the long snapper thing . . .

-----

The long snapper thing just pisses me off. We didn't need that guy, then bring him in and make him the 2nd highest paid ls in the league. This is NOT Pansy West. I guess this is what we get when the problem was defense and we went with offensive guy. :yardog: I'm not total doom and gloom, I'll save that for after the draft if we don't go impact defensive guys.

GEM
02-28-2009, 11:26 AM
We knew that we be getting influx of PATs and 49ers to the team. That just the way it happens. Problem is that it appears to be the wrong Pats.

Hopefully Fields is signed today and helps shore up the NT spot.

Seeing Vrabel going to the Chiefs is enough to piss one off. He may be older, but if I had a say, I would have taken him over the Pansy long snapper. :yardog:

Is Fields pretty good? I've been worried about the NT position. If we don't get someone very decent to good there, the hybrid is worthless.

underrated29
02-28-2009, 11:29 AM
dang.

I was hoping they were going to say that we were going to trade for rodgers, or sign canty or rey lewis or something..

Hopefully- we still have lots of time and money even though they say otherwise.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-28-2009, 11:37 AM
Get over yourselves. Who cares which order they sign people in? They are clearly atempting to fill in the roster. Why blow your was on 2 guys right from the door and leave yourself no money for the rest of the needs? Besides, outside of Canty and Haynesworth, who really is out there to help us AT ALL? This draft looks to be great if you are trying to build a 3-4 front 7. Just sayin...

elsid13
02-28-2009, 11:40 AM
Seeing Vrabel going to the Chiefs is enough to piss one off. He may be older, but if I had a say, I would have taken him over the Pansy long snapper. :yardog:

Is Fields pretty good? I've been worried about the NT position. If we don't get someone very decent to good there, the hybrid is worthless.

Fields isn't a star, but he is young (26) and has been coming on strong as of late. He would be solid rotational guy that help solidify the NT position. I expect if SF didn't have Isaac Sopoaga and Franklin (both young& signed to big deals) in front of him that there would be stronger push by the 9ers to bring him back. I am also hoping that GB DT/NT Colin Cole is brought in for a look.

GEM
02-28-2009, 11:44 AM
Get over yourselves. Who cares which order they sign people in? They are clearly atempting to fill in the roster. Why blow your was on 2 guys right from the door and leave yourself no money for the rest of the needs? Besides, outside of Canty and Haynesworth, who really is out there to help us AT ALL? This draft looks to be great if you are trying to build a 3-4 front 7. Just sayin...

This is a message board correct? A place for people to post their opinions. And it looks like there are quite a few people who have the same concerns. If you don't, good for you, there is no one forcing you to read the thread or post in it.

Some undersized guard/long snapper isn't filling the roster, when we already had one of the best.

Just sayin.

GEM
02-28-2009, 11:45 AM
Fields isn't a star, but he is young (26) and has been coming on strong as of late. He would be solid rotational guy that help solidify the NT position. I expect if SF didn't have Isaac Sopoaga and Franklin (both young& signed to big deals) in front of him that there would be stronger push by the 9ers to bring him back. I am also hoping that GB DT/NT Colin Cole is brought in for a look.

Thanks for the info Elsid. :)

tomjonesrocks
02-28-2009, 12:13 PM
However, the Broncos can drop a cannonball that would shake the league from here to the Liberty Bell if they can finish off a deal for Brian Dawkins.

That's a "cannonball"? Ridiculous.

turftoad
02-28-2009, 12:20 PM
Instead of the Browncos, they're going to start calling us the Patcos. :D

Broncogator
02-28-2009, 12:23 PM
I'm not ready to rant and rave yet..but this Paxton thing does piss me off..

atwater27
02-28-2009, 12:31 PM
That's a "cannonball"? Ridiculous.

LMAO! I thought the same thing. OOOOOOH! an ancient has been safety! Wow. what a way to rebuild the D. Sign a rotting redwood so it can fall over on the stadium next season.

honz
02-28-2009, 12:59 PM
Bringing in a couple of WRs and RBs to solidify our offensive roster also means we likely won't have to use any draft picks on those positions in the draft, which would allow us to use more picks to draft defensive players. Hell, we've been trying to build our D through FA for years now and it clearly hasn't worked. I have no problem bringing in a few decent vets that are familiar with the 3-4 to help our D for a year or two while we draft a bunch of guys that will hopefully take their place in the near future.

Lonestar
02-28-2009, 01:04 PM

-----

who is to say they did not start there just took longer to accomplish..

Note that the two RB have the same agent might be easier to make that deal up front that way.. Rosenhaus is the agent for some of the others.. so we all know he slows things down..

I think we have a few days to worry about not getting our entire wish list on D..