PDA

View Full Version : $5.5 million for a long-snapper?

eessydo
02-27-2009, 11:05 PM
He better give the courtesy of a reach-around.

STUPID!!!

Cheez Whiz
02-27-2009, 11:07 PM
Yeah, I am not sure why they did that.

Cheez Whiz
02-27-2009, 11:09 PM
I am sure it's not as bad as it seems, the majority will probably be in the end of his contract, and we'll cut him before.

frauschieze
02-27-2009, 11:10 PM
I am sure it's not as bad as it seems, the majority will probably be in the end of his contract, and we'll cut him before.

Yeah, it's not as bad as it seems......

IT'S WORSE!!! :mad:

topscribe
02-27-2009, 11:11 PM
I am really disappointed, and some of the luster is gone from my view of
Xanders and/or McDaniels over this. Who in the entire league has been better
at his position than Leach? And when did he make that kind of money?

It stinks. :look:

-----

underrated29
02-27-2009, 11:45 PM
eehhh its a long snapper. Yeah its a weird signing especially since the 2nd,3rd,4th, and 19th tiered free agents havent been signed yet, but still. We still have mike leach, and this guy has to still beat him out which may not be as easy as he thinks.

MOtorboat
02-27-2009, 11:47 PM
The world is ending!

nevcraw
02-27-2009, 11:49 PM
every coach wants to bring in his guys. gaffney and lonnie andersen fit that bill. as long as we never say his name in a game, this signing will not be an issue.
I think none of you would have cared if he wasn't the 1st signing of the Mcxanandoogie era..

frauschieze
02-27-2009, 11:51 PM
every coach wants to bring in his guys. gaffney and lonnie andersen fit that bill. as long as we never say his name in a game, this signing will not be an issue.
I think none of you would have cared if he wasn't the 1st signing of the Mcxanandoogie era..

:jaw:

He don't know me too well, do he? *snacks on carrot*

nevcraw
02-27-2009, 11:53 PM
:jaw:

He don't know me too well, do he? *snacks on carrot*

edit: none but one...

topscribe
02-27-2009, 11:57 PM
eehhh its a long snapper. Yeah its a weird signing especially since the 2nd,3rd,4th, and 19th tiered free agents havent been signed yet, but still. We still have mike leach, and this guy has to still beat him out which may not be as easy as he thinks.

Leach announced to a reporter (I don't recall now whom) that he would ask
for his release immediately upon learning the deal was final. And I don't blame
him. How do they think they are going to improve over him?

It may be only a long snapper, but it involves more important issues, such as
loyalty and his family. If we were talking about Nate Webster here, no problem.
But we're talking about someone who did his job . . . big time.

-----

NameUsedBefore
02-28-2009, 12:18 AM

-----

Exactly.

Mike Leach has been with the team for awhile and not only have his LS duties been excellent, the guy is a ST player. Lonie Paxton may have a perfect snap record for us, but can the guy consistently be the first guy to tackle the punt returner? Doubt it. And why the hell are we paying millions for this? It makes no ****ing sense beyond just being management cronyism. And I say that absolutely seriously, that is entirely what it looks like.

Traveler
02-28-2009, 06:42 AM
Does Paxon play any other position?

broncosinindy
02-28-2009, 07:52 AM
He better give the courtesy of a reach-around.

STUPID!!!

Yeah mike leach was a great long snapper. i dont get it.

5.5 5 year 1 million Signing bonus for a veteran however isnt a bad signing.

thats essentialy 800,000 a year which is around vet min

broncosinindy
02-28-2009, 07:54 AM
See that is why i love this website the vocab on here makes me look words up.. grr lol

cronyism the practice of favoring one's close friends, esp. in political appointments.

Devilspawn
02-28-2009, 10:07 AM
No offense, but that's an Al Davis move if I ever saw one. :laugh: I think they did that to keep him from coming to Oakland. I mean think about it... the best long snapper + best punter + superior field goal kicker with the strongest leg??? Champ Pee Yon Shop!! :rockon:

frauschieze
02-28-2009, 10:08 AM
Does Paxon play any other position?

Supposedly he is an OG. And not a great one either.

TXBRONC
02-28-2009, 10:16 AM

-----

If I have heard correctly Paxson has been a pro bowler and I would guess that would be on special teams. :whoknows:

Denver Native (Carol)
02-28-2009, 10:35 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11804611

Ordinarily, the offseason and the addition of new free-agent players brings excitement to Broncoland.

The feeling seems to be different this offseason.

The additions of Correll Buckhalter and Renaldo Hill might have caused a greater stir if the area wasn't still shocked by the firing of Mike Shanahan, who had been the Broncos' head coach for 14 seasons, and the departure of many popular players.

The latest long-time Broncos player who had a tough day Friday was long snapper Mike Leach, who had been with the team for the past 6 1/2 seasons. Anybody in Bronco-land remember a bad snap the past 6 1/2 seasons?

Yet Leach was watching NFL free-agent updates on a cable sports channel Friday when he read across the crawler that the Broncos had signed longtime New England long snapper Lonie Paxton to a five-year, $5.3 million deal.

Leach said he would ask for his release once he learns Paxton's signing is official.

"I don't begrudge anybody," said Leach, who has a dog named Longsnapper. "New coaches come in and changes get made. I may not like it, but it happens. I just hope they can do right by me by letting me go so I can try and find another job."

Stokley in plans?

The events Friday may also put veteran Broncos slot receiver Brandon Stokley in limbo. With Brandon Marshall and Eddie Royal already secure as the top two receivers, the Broncos added No. 3 receiver Jabar Gaffney from free agency and signed No. 4-type receiver and restricted free agent David Anderson to an offer sheet.

Footnotes.

None of the free-agent players who played last season for the Broncos had signed with another team by Friday night. . . .

In Andra Davis, the Broncos could be getting their most accomplished inside linebacker since Al Wilson was forced to retire following the 2006 season. Davis, 30, was a six-year starter for the Cleveland Browns, for whom he averaged 103 tackles a season.

NameUsedBefore
02-28-2009, 06:31 PM
It's cronyism. That's the only way it makes sense.

Rex
02-28-2009, 06:32 PM
It's cronyism. That's the only way it makes sense.

That is football in general. Cronyism and Nepotism.

I bet he is wicked good long snapper (Boston accent applied)