PDA

View Full Version : Broncos sign RFA WR Anderson to an offer sheet

nevcraw
02-27-2009, 10:54 PM
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest/0-3-1659/Broncos-sign-WR-Anderson-to-offer-sheet.html
The end of stokes? Could this be JMac's Wes Welker?
__________________________________________________ ________
A source close to the situation confirmed that the Broncos have agreed with restricted free agent wide receiver David Anderson on a three-year, $4.5 million offer sheet and a $1 million signing bonus.

The Houston Texans will have a week to match the deal.

Denver signed former New England receiver Jabar Gaffney earlier Friday. If Anderson is brought in, it could mean the end of No. 3 receiver Brandon Stokley in Denver. He was the team's No. 3 receiver the past two seasons.

If new coach Josh McDaniels gets both Gaffney and Anderson, it is unlikely he'll want one of them to be a fifth receiver. Stokley could be on the outs if Anderson is brought in.

Meanwhile, the Denver Post is reporting the Broncos are close to signing Cleveland linebacker Andra Davis. The move would one more in a long line of transactions for the Broncos, one of the league's busiest teams Friday.

MOtorboat
02-27-2009, 10:55 PM
Strange tender.

Italianmobstr7
02-27-2009, 10:55 PM
I posted this in the signings thread hours ago.

GEM
02-28-2009, 12:33 AM
All signs are pointing to Stokely being gone. :tsk: Not liking that. I know he's getting older but he was slot clutch for us.

honz
02-28-2009, 12:43 AM
I don't think this means the end of Stokely as a Bronco. We have Marshall, Royal, Stokely, Glenn Martinez, and Chad Jackson at WR...there are a couple of other guys supposedly on the roster, but I don't think they ever played a down for us. The Pats cut Chad Jackson last season, so I'm assuming McDaniels must not be too high on him. And Glenn Martinez is, well...Glenn Martinez. That leaves us with 3 WRs that are likely locks to make the roster and then we bring in 2 guys to compete with Jackson and Martinez for a roster spot, which would probably mean that those 2 are gone. That would leave us with 5 WRs.

Buff
02-28-2009, 12:49 AM
Feb. 18 - 12:23 pm et

The Broncos are expected to pay Brandon Stokley a $500,000 roster bonus by March 3 (http://www.rotoworld.com/Content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=Nfl&id=1501).
The 33-year-old has lost some speed since tearing his Achilles' in 2006, but Stokley is still an efficient slot man and will be given opportunity to make the team. Stokley is coming off a 49-catch, 528-yard season with three TDs.

Source: Denver Post

You'd think if we're going to cut him it will be before March 3rd... Which is Tuesday.

nevcraw
02-28-2009, 01:09 AM
I think Martinez has been gone since the second half of lasr season.. is he back?

Lonestar
02-28-2009, 01:28 AM
You'd think if we're going to cut him it will be before March 3rd... Which is Tuesday.

Yes but 500K is chicken feed compared to what he can do in the slot if one of the others gets hurt..

Since HOU does not have to match until next week after 03MAR I think we pay it.. as insurance if nothing else.. I suspect these signings are more for when he retires next year or the one after that..

Buff
02-28-2009, 01:59 AM
I don't see why we'd cut Stokely unless we planned on drafting a WR or two.

Martinez isn't on the roster... Right now it's Marshall, Royal, Gaffney, Stokely, Chad Jackson and potentially David Anderson. (Plus Jayson Foster and Matt Willis who will eventually get cut)

topscribe
02-28-2009, 02:05 AM
So they cut DJax and signed Gaffney.

Sounds tit-for-tat to me, and the defense wasn't involved . . . :coffee:

Anderson may be potentially a good signing, though.

-----

Lonestar
02-28-2009, 02:07 AM
I don't see why we'd cut Stokely unless we planned on drafting a WR or two.

Martinez isn't on the roster... Right now it's Marshall, Royal, Gaffney, Stokely, Chad Jackson and potentially David Anderson. (Plus Jayson Foster and Matt Willis who will eventually get cut)

I see these folks as his replacement in two years..

Or perhaps Eddies replacement as #2 and he falls into Stokely slot position..

After all he was drafted with KR and his replacement to start with.. He just turned in a hell of a #2.. and none of the FA from last year stepped up to take it from him..

topscribe
02-28-2009, 02:09 AM
I see these folks as his replacement in two years..

Or perhaps Eddies replacement as #2 and he falls into Stokely slot position..

After all he was drafted with KR and his replacement to start with.. He just turned in a hell of a #2.. and none of the FA from last year stepped up to take it from him..

It would be hard to imagine anyone taking it from Fast Eddie, after 91 receptions for 980 yards, as a rookie . . .

-----

Lonestar
02-28-2009, 02:12 AM
It would be hard to imagine anyone taking it from Fast Eddie, after 91 receptions for 980 yards, as a rookie . . .

-----

but his size, speed and cutting abiilty would creat a HUGE mismatch in the slot..

shank
02-28-2009, 05:56 AM
wtf is his tender?

fcspikeit
02-28-2009, 06:29 AM
wtf is his tender?

I was wondering the same thing shank.. It doesn't say on NFL.com I thought when they had a tender, depending on which it was, they would get a pick but it also affected the contract he would get?

He was taken in the 7th and I doubt he got the highest tender, so I am thinking it would be a 7th round pick.. However I am unsure, there might not be a pick involved at all? Can someone be tendered without there being a pick involved?

xzn
02-28-2009, 11:56 AM
Somewhere else on this website a poster indicated that IF we signed him it would amount to trading a 7th round pick... assuming that is correct info, but it makes sense as he was a 7th round pick.