PDA

View Full Version : Journalism Student seeking opinions from Broncos fans

JournalistinNC
01-11-2012, 01:20 PM
Hey all,

I am a journalism student at Elon University in North Carolina. For my social media class we have been assigned to go online and get opinions on a topic from a message board.

My question for you guys is: How has the media's coverage of Tim Tebow shaped your opinion of the quarterback? Also, I was wondering if you think the coverage is too much, not enough or just right?

This is only going to be used for my class and I appreciate it if somebody can PM me their response, it would really help me out a bunch.

Oh, and good luck Saturday.

Jsteve01
01-11-2012, 01:28 PM
too much. For the most part the level headed fan has adopted a wait and see approach. all the coverage both positive and negative has detracted from what the rest of the team is doing

NightTerror218
01-11-2012, 01:31 PM
too much. It seems to blown out of proportion good or bad. He plays a bad game and the media tries to rip him apart. He plays well and they praise him well beyond anything else. No middle ground.

Buff
01-11-2012, 01:32 PM
How could anyone ever make the case that there hasn't been enough coverage?

I think 99.9% of humanity would agree that the coverage has been excessive to the point of being absurd. Hence your presence here.

Northman
01-11-2012, 01:34 PM
Definitely too much. Its not only unfair to the rest of the team but unfair to Tebow himself. Thankfully, im older and am not allowing it too dictate what i think about Tim as a player/person, etc. But the sensationalism regarding Tebow is just insane. It doesnt help that his fanboi's crash various forums and sports sites with their ignorant behavior. Its like watching a bunch of screaming girls crying over The Beatles or something. lmao

So no, the coverage has just been over the top whether its pro or con.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-11-2012, 01:36 PM
I will just put my response here:

The media coverage of Tim has had no effect on my opinion. My opinion of Tim comes from his on field performance - which has definitely improved from week to week. Keep in mind that some media, who had nothing but negative opinions, are now reconsidering those opinions. Just because someone in the media states something, does not mean it is true.

As far as the coverage, I am sick of all of the negative coverage of Tim in regards to his religious beliefs. IMO, there should be neither positive or negative opinions on that subject. He is a QB in the NFL - his personal life should have no bearing on this. Yes, Tim does bring up religion - however, Reggie White did the same thing. Nothing even close to what is happening with Tim now, happened to White.

Northman
01-11-2012, 01:38 PM

The media coverage of Tim has had no effect on my opinion. My opinion of Tim comes from his on field performance - which has definitely improved from week to week. Keep in mind that some media, who had nothing but negative opinions, are now reconsidering those opinions. Just because someone in the media states something, does not mean it is true.

As far as the coverage, I am sick of all of the negative coverage of Tim in regards to his religious beliefs. IMO, there should be neither positive or negative opinions on that subject. He is a QB in the NFL - his personal life should have no bearing on this. Yes, Tim does bring up religion - however, Reggie White did the same thing. Nothing even close to what is happening with Tim now, happened to White.

Excellent point Carol., could you imagine the outrage had Reggie been targeted for his religious beliefs? And being black? OMG. lol

slim
01-11-2012, 01:38 PM
I doubt most football fans let media hype shape their opinion of a player. No different in this case.

The coverage has been exceedingly excessive (does this question even need to be asked?)

JournalistinNC
01-11-2012, 01:39 PM
Is there a way to PM me? I need names to post with the story, not just usernames. I hope that'll be okay. Otherwise you could email me your quote.. just let me know which way works best and if need be I can put my email here.

Dapper Dan
01-11-2012, 01:40 PM
I think as long as they're a positive person and use their popularity for good, there is no too much publicity.

Buff
01-11-2012, 01:41 PM
Is there a way to PM me? I need names to post with the story, not just usernames. I hope that'll be okay. Otherwise you could email me your quote.. just let me know which way works best and if need be I can put my email here.

You should probably just reach out to those responses you like to get their personal information.

Army Bronco
01-11-2012, 01:42 PM
It was fun at first cause they would talk about my Broncos but it has been too much lately. The more the media hated on Tebow, the more I wanted him to succeed but for the most part I let his play dictate how I feel.

Northman
01-11-2012, 01:42 PM
I sent a PM. I have no problem putting my name to it.

JournalistinNC
01-11-2012, 01:44 PM
Okay, what's your reaction to, say, Skip Bayless in particular?

underrated29
01-11-2012, 01:46 PM
I dont care. I love broncos coverage. Especially after all the crap we went through the past 3 years or so.

Now that its good coverage I am happy. I could care less who the coverage is about as long as it broncos and its good.

The coverage does not change my opinion of tebow because I watch the games and know what i have seen. From our first pre season game with him against the bengals I knew we were in for something good. So good or bad media has no effect on me.

PS- I do find it very very odd that people hate tebow or dislike him because of all the coverage or are so sick a bout him or hearing about him. I mean, its not like Tim went to the media and said do this and show that about me. He doesnt want it anymore than anyone else, yet people put it on him anyway. Very weird.

Buff
01-11-2012, 01:52 PM

My backlash has been directed at Skip Bayless and the idiot cult-like followers who think TT can do no wrong. For the most part I think Bronco fans have been able to separate the cult followers from the man himself - I don't hold the ridiculous media coverage against TT.

BroncoJoe
01-11-2012, 01:53 PM
I dont care. I love broncos coverage. Especially after all the crap we went through the past 3 years or so.

Now that its good coverage I am happy. I could care less who the coverage is about as long as it broncos and its good.

The coverage does not change my opinion of tebow because I watch the games and know what i have seen. From our first pre season game with him against the bengals I knew we were in for something good. So good or bad media has no effect on me.

PS- I do find it very very odd that people hate tebow or dislike him because of all the coverage or are so sick a bout him or hearing about him. I mean, its not like Tim went to the media and said do this and show that about me. He doesnt want it anymore than anyone else, yet people put it on him anyway. Very weird.

This.

Personally I love the attention. Like it or not, Tim is a Broncos QB so the attention on him also points to Denver and the Broncos. Nothing but a win, win.

Additionally, I think Tim has handled it exceptionally well. I have NEVER once heard him refer to anything but team, and in nearly every press conference he states "they all make me look better than I really am."

I also agree with Carol that the coverage is either black or white. It's either "he's the next greatest thing" or "he sucks". That is a bit irritating, but it is what it is.

My name is Joe and I am a Colorado Native/Resident.

rjent
01-11-2012, 01:53 PM
The media is just doing what the media does, as grubby as it is. I find it appalling what these photographers do during a game, what the talking heads do, etc. Has it affected my opinion of Tim, absolutely not. I like Tim for his faith, I like him for his competitiveness, I like him for his work ethic, I like him for his life style, and I could go on. I was not a follower of him before the Broncos and didn't know who he was until Josh drafted him.

The media is out of hand (in a lot of areas), and has been for a long time.

JMHO

Denver Native (Carol)
01-11-2012, 01:54 PM

To me, Bayless is as obnoxious positive, as Hodge is obnoxious negative.

BroncoJoe
01-11-2012, 01:55 PM
PS - I'd also state that if he played for another team, I wouldn't pay much if any attention to him. The fact he wears the Orange and Blue make me a fan of him. Nothing else.

underrated29
01-11-2012, 01:59 PM
bayless is to over the top. i like that he backed timmy the entire time, but when he says his shi* dont stink....yeah too far.

Hodge is just an idiot. ive never liked him anyhow

Buff
01-11-2012, 02:00 PM
bayless is to over the top. i like that he backed timmy the entire time, but when he says his shi* dont stink....yeah too far.

Hodge is just an idiot. ive never liked him anyhow

Those two perfectly illustrate the two opposite ends of the spectrum here.

You've got one who thinks he can do no wrong. And the other is convinced that no matter how much success he has, he's destined to fail.

I agreed with the writer the other day who likened Tebow to a political party. At this point, most people are firmly dug in on either side and they have very strong opinions for or against.

catfish
01-11-2012, 02:02 PM
I would caution that the majority of the folks on this board are hard core - old school broncos fans and students of the game and as such are far more likely to put national media in the proper context with what they see on their two eyes. Probably not a super wide cross section of casual fans.

As to the original question, the media has affected my perceptions in how I now tend to break down every pass nstead of looking at the game as a whole. It takes a conscious effort to step back and look at the game instead of focusing on the bad throws.

The media coverage is beyond ridiculous and Skip Bayless is on tv for the same reason Jersy Shore is

JournalistinNC
01-11-2012, 02:03 PM
One last thing... your opinion of this "article"

http://www.nfl.com/photos/09000d5d825e125d?module=HP11_content_stream#id:090 00d5d825e19af

catfish
01-11-2012, 02:05 PM

http://www.nfl.com/photos/09000d5d825e125d?module=HP11_content_stream#id:090 00d5d825e19af

I sincerely hope you had no part in that

Buff
01-11-2012, 02:06 PM

I hate humanity sometimes.

rjent
01-11-2012, 02:07 PM

I don't know if you are a troll, but I will bite .... :lol:

I find that offensive. Yes I am an old guy with values from a totally different era, but that kind of foolishness is just wrong and is one of the endless things wrong with the media. I assume many will disagree, but that is my opinion .....

JournalistinNC
01-11-2012, 02:09 PM
I had no part in it. I just came across it and figured since we were on the subject I would mention it. I hope I'm no troll!

catfish
01-11-2012, 02:11 PM
I had no part in it. I just came across it and figured since we were on the subject I would mention it. I hope I'm no troll!

ok, the response should give you an idea about my opinon of it. I am pissed that I lost 45 seconds of my life and pretty sure I lost IQ points by witnessing that webpage

WTE
01-11-2012, 02:18 PM

Before you go there.....

This Broncos fan doesn't think the media is talking enough about how Divine Intervention is winning these games for the Broncos, not their play.

It was Divine Intervention that caused Marion Barber to run out of bounds and later fumble the ball

It was Divine Intervention that caused the refs to look the other way when Denver lined up in illegal formation on the OT pass to Thomas.

That's what this Broncos fan thinks the media should be talking about more. Print that.

Oh, and ignore my Patriots avatar. I lost a bet.

I will never live that one down. ~smacks palm of hand to head~

BigDaddyBronco
01-11-2012, 02:23 PM
Before you go there.....

This Broncos fan doesn't think the media is talking enough about how Divine Intervention is winning these games for the Broncos, not their play.

It was Divine Intervention that caused Marion Barber to run out of bounds and later fumble the ball

It was Divine Intervention that caused the refs to look the other way when Denver lined up in illegal formation on the OT pass to Thomas.

That's what this Broncos fan thinks the media should be talking about more. Print that.

Oh, and ignore my Patriots avatar. I lost a bet.

I will never live that one down. ~smacks palm of hand to head~

LOL. And while you are at it, be sure to mention that Broncos fans think Josh McDaniels is the anti-Christ.

NightTerror218
01-11-2012, 02:30 PM
She is not the kind of girl he would go for, but she has the looks of someone he might eventually date.

underrated29
01-11-2012, 02:32 PM
The photo baby thing?

ummm... Who are the add wizards that came up with that one. Ill take Swords for 200 please.

One would think that there would be plenty to write about considering we came off the worst season ever as broncos, and now we are 2 games away from the big dance. With tebow, with orton, the Over Times, john fox, mcdaniels, elway reuniting...........blah blah blah..

You would think they could come up with something interesting. The article, I found it funny but not so entertaining. Id do megan fox though, actually all of those girls.

BigDaddyBronco
01-11-2012, 02:36 PM
The photo baby thing?

ummm... Who are the add wizards that came up with that one. Ill take Swords for 200 please.

One would think that there would be plenty to write about considering we came off the worst season ever as broncos, and now we are 2 games away from the big dance. With tebow, with orton, the Over Times, john fox, mcdaniels, elway reuniting...........blah blah blah..

You would think they could come up with something interesting. The article, I found it funny but not so entertaining. Id do megan fox though, actually all of those girls.

Gross, you would do Oprah?

underrated29
01-11-2012, 02:40 PM
Gross, you would do Oprah?

Oprah?!?

I saw only 3 pictures.

Megan, scarlett and that gomez girl.

(if we would win the superbowl id do oprah)

dogfish
01-11-2012, 02:44 PM

i think he should be tied up, dipped in honey and left on an anthill. . . does that help?

BroncoNut
01-11-2012, 02:45 PM
How has it shaped my opinion on the quarterback situation? the recent "tebowism" none at all. I do believe that the concerns on tim's mechanics and potential as an NFL qb by experts, mostly before his drafting, have been somewhat validated. these have been place in my mind as he has navigated through this season. I'm still in a wait and see mode. I consider the long term situation. carousel quarterbacks is not my ideal. on the hype though, it's impossile for me to not be excited for him and like him as a person. but I do like to find things out for myself. when I say I hope he proves the naysayers wrong, that's like a no duh. but I do both for the obvious and he certainly is a great young man imo.

Dapper Dan
01-11-2012, 02:54 PM

It's 90% fake. Made up arguing just to get more people watching and talking about ESPN and the show.

Dapper Dan
01-11-2012, 02:57 PM

Absolute garbage.

turftoad
01-11-2012, 04:58 PM
PS - I'd also state that if he played for another team, I wouldn't pay much if any attention to him. The fact he wears the Orange and Blue make me a fan of him. Nothing else.

I agree with Joe.

The other thing that bothers me is: it seems the media and the nation thinks that every Bronco fan is a huge Tebow fan and are fans because of Tebow. Wrong!

Most true Bronco fans have been fans for a LONG time and love the Broncos because of they were, are and going to be and always will be fans.

There is a diff between true Bronco fans and Tebow fans. If and when Tebow leaves, true Broncos fans will still be Broncos fans. Tebow fans will be gone with him.

We are the Denver Broncos!!

Not the Denver Tebows. :tsk:

GEM
01-11-2012, 05:13 PM
You should probably just reach out to those responses you like to get their personal information.

What Buff really means is:

Are you female?
If so, would you like to take a trip to the Rocky Mountains to have your world rocked?

He was just too shy to say it himself.

Dapper Dan
01-11-2012, 05:28 PM
Hopefully Tebow never leaves and we don't have to worry about it.

We're also not the Denver Elways. But without Elway, Denver doesn't have the fan base that it has.

rationalfan
01-11-2012, 05:47 PM
The media coverage of Tim Tebow hasn't affected my opinions on Tebow at all. the team's wins and losses affected my opinions on Tebow.

However, the media's coverage of Tebow has changed my views on sports media - and not by classifying them as "pro" or "hater" depending on their critiques of the player. Rather, it's interesting because this feels like the first time sports media - specifically ESPN - has covered an athlete like a celebrity. And, please, let me clarify that.

Before, with a player like, say, Brett Favre, it always felt like the media outlets were trying to cover it in the same manner they would politics - overdone and with TONS of analysis. They stalked the player's whereabouts, speculated about his future and had pro/con panels debating his merits.

But with Tebow, they're selling out like E! did with the Kardashians. They drop his name for the sake of ratings, not "newsworthiness." They shift their angle on him by the day, hour sometimes. If he appears at a public event they report on it like it was a pre-game tactical event. If he talks to Lindsay Vonn they're debating his virginity and whether or not he's the reason for her divorce. If he debuts a new commercial it's cause for a 30 minute special.

Of course, I'm exaggerating, but not much. They've allowed the culture of Tebow to overtake their motifs, whereas before they always fit the "news" into their predetermined structures.

It's very fascinating.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-11-2012, 05:51 PM
I think as long as they're a positive person and use their popularity for good, there is no too much publicity.

I would agree if all of the publicity was good - however, we know there have been many out there who have ridiculed Tim for the good person he is, for the good he has done for others, for his religious beliefs, etc.

turftoad
01-11-2012, 05:57 PM
Hopefully Tebow never leaves and we don't have to worry about it.

We're also not the Denver Elways. But without Elway, Denver doesn't have the fan base that it has.

Many of us were fans before Elway. I remember that draft going down. Getting him was awesome, but yes, some are fans because of him but not like the Tebow thing by any means.

Dapper Dan
01-11-2012, 05:58 PM
I would agree if all of the publicity was good - however, we know there have been many out there who have ridiculed Tim for the good person he is, for the good he has done for others, for his religious beliefs, etc.

From what I've seen, it's individuals that have made fun of him for his charitable good that he's done. Any major network couldn't and shouldn't ridicule him for such things.

HammeredOut
01-11-2012, 06:19 PM
Hey all,

I am a journalism student at Elon University in North Carolina. For my social media class we have been assigned to go online and get opinions on a topic from a message board.

My question for you guys is: How has the media's coverage of Tim Tebow shaped your opinion of the quarterback? Also, I was wondering if you think the coverage is too much, not enough or just right?

This is only going to be used for my class and I appreciate it if somebody can PM me their response, it would really help me out a bunch.

Oh, and good luck Saturday.

If you want to know how Journalism really is, you will find out that media and coverage is simply about marketing. The media tycons could care less about sports in general, unless it makes the corporation and shareholders more money. So in all retrospect, the Media has been able to adapt to make Tim Tebow "an iconic american symbol of the all american boy who does nothing but great and goodness for our hearts". This story sells newspapers, this story sells ads in all forms of media from Newspapers to Television networks.

Tim Tebow as a player has been way below average statistically, and this opinion is shared with just everybody who knows a little something about football.

Historically we as broncos fans voted in players into the probowl, with guys who had like 39 tackles, and even sent Elway to the Probowl with more Interceptions then Touchdowns thrown. So nothing to me as a fan surprises me. If anything the Broncos are much like the Dallas Cowboys, if their is remotely a sniff of guy who might be not be half bad, but not great, that guy will get voted into the probowl.

Most importantly, if you buy Tim Tebow jerseys cheaply made from China at 15 bucks a Jersey, then Resell them at 50 bucks to the millions of Tim Tebow fans, you have just become rich.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-11-2012, 06:22 PM
Many of us were fans before Elway. I remember that draft going down. Getting him was awesome, but yes, some are fans because of him but not like the Tebow thing by any means.

This we will never know for sure - because today, there are many more ways for people to communicate, than when John played. I know that I was not posting anywhere on the internet when John played ;)

Joel
01-11-2012, 09:12 PM
The whole of NCAA Division IA football is a media concocted self fulfilling prophecy that elects its "champion" rather than having a playoff tournament like EVERY OTHER COLLEGIATE SPORT (including all other levels of football.) Tebow is a product of that. The extent to which media hype reduces NCAA football to a popularity contest makes me INCREDIBLY wary of any "sure Hall of Famer" who comes out of its ranks, and VERY unwilling to take them in place of pro players who've proven themselves on the field rather than the ballot box. I was thus horrified my team dumped a QB who'd just made the Pro Bowl as an alternate his second year, in favor of an incredibly gifted but incredibly untrained option QB. Just because Tebow played in what sportswriters annually declare the best collegiate conference, and therefore won the popularity contests that are the National Championship and Heismann Trophies, does not make him capable, and we already had a QB who'd PROVEN himself very capable.

We traded performance for hype (literally.) That it seems to be working out is a tremendous relief, but we still paid more than necessary for a player we didn't actually need. There's still a great chance the whole thing could still blow up next year; meanwhile, Chicago has a young Pro Bowl QB we drafted.

In terms of media coverage since, yes, it has been excessive, even more so than it already was, though at least this year there has been some game performance to justify it. Our rookie QB felt obliged to release his autobiography after playing 3 games his rookie year, and that certainly stirred the pot, which was clearly the intent.

The only consistency in Tebow coverage is, whether the commentary or his performance is good or bad, media discussion is ALWAYS intense and extreme. When he plays well (which has been the case more often than not,) most talking heads affirm him the greatest all around football player since Jim Thorpe, while a few remaining critics resolutely insist he's a scrub who has doomed Denver and belongs on no ones roster, let alone starting. When he plays badly, most pundits join them in declaring him an irredeemable failure who'll be lucky to remain in the NFL till the end of the season, while his few defiant defenders doggedly insist he's a first ballot Hall of Famer who just hasn't found his legs yet. Those of us with a smidgen of common sense realize the truth is probably somewhere in the middle; in the real world, Gauss has already told us it usually is.

But when leading Presidential candidates compare themselves to a second year QB with less than a dozen career starts, yes, the media focus is excessive.

I never heard of Tim Tebow till his Super Bowl ad, and my reaction boiled down to "You're a 22 year old amateur football player; why are your religious/political views nationally relevant? Are you saying abortion's OK if I know my child will be so mentally and physically impaired they'll be lucky to WALK, let alone play football?" He has said outright, many times, he considers football a vehicle to promote his personal beliefs. Regardless of how I feel about those beliefs or his play, the spectacle of someone exploiting my team that way bothers me. As a Christian, he has also often reminded me of Matthew 6:5-6 (which precedes the Lords Prayer:)

“And when you pray, you shall not be like the hypocrites. For they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the corners of the streets, that they may be seen by men. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward. But you, when you pray, go into your room, and when you have shut your door, pray to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly.
Sometimes I feel like asking Tebow, "how do you think Christianity survived 2000 years before you came along to 'validate' God?" Others I just feel like he's saying I should support him because he's Christian.

When deeply and openly devout Kurt Warner says a guy talks about God too much, it's excessive. We all know what religion former BYU QB Steve YOUNG is without having to ask, but he doesn't shove it in our faces.

You must be joking. The man's been dead 7 years and it's STILL easy to find enraged online comments accusing him of bigoted homophobia because of the hour he spent telling the Wisonsin Legislature what's wrong with homosexuality and why they shouldn't pass an anti-discrimination law protecting it. Subsequently, he wore his Packers uniform in a series of ads urging homosexuals to stop engaging in homosexuality, prompting complaints from the Packers AND NFL because he didn't have the permission of either to appear in uniform. THAT little incident cost him a $6 million dollar pregame commentator contract with CBS.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reggie_White#Controversy
Reggies vocal expression of religious/political views got a plenty of media attention and public criticism, but he brought much of it on himself using his successful athletic career as a platform to promote his personal beliefs.

Tebow opened himself up to the same controversy doing the exact same thing. When a college player makes a Super Bowl ad warning people abortion might cost them a child like him, it's absurd to say the media unfairly focuses on his religious beliefs. He WANTS the media and public discussing them, actively encourages it, hence the NCAAs "Tebow rule" against players using eyeblack to advertise, as he liked to do with bible verses. In his 5:00 post game interview after the Jets game he made explicit reference to Christianity no less than three times, (that's if I don't count things like bidding the commentators farewell with "God bless you," which I don't.)

The main differences between Tebow and Reggie are that Reggie:

1) Was an ordained minister, not the child of missionaries (his father is a pastor,)

2) Waited for retirement to make his career a soap box for promoting his personal beliefs rather than doing it his entire career,

3) Criticized homosexuality and church burning rather than abortion (though I suspect asking tebow about homosexuality is Not a Good Idea,)

4) Chose his words with far less tact than Tebow and

5) Had a record of Hall of Fame NFL performance to justify fans listening to him, not just a bunch of popularly elected college trophies and "championships."

Tebow's gotten better; Warners admonishment seems to have worked wonders, and I suspect the most effective part was letting Tebow know he found out the hard way that shoving Christ in the faces of those not interested only repulsed rather than attracting them. Maybe someone sat him down and read him Romans 12:1, but whatever it was, I'm glad he's witnessing more with his life and less with his lips these days.

Anyway, thanks for the support, JinNC, and hope that helps; good luck and God bless to you in turn with your assignment and class.

sneakers
01-11-2012, 09:47 PM
I don't see much broncos coverage living in a different state, so any is welcome.

Tned
01-11-2012, 09:59 PM

I think Skip Bayless is way over the top. He's every bit as bad, if not worse, than the people that criticize Tebow no matter what he does, like Merril Hoge. Bayless is not being an objective observer, which is the goal of a reporter, instead he's acting like a star struck fan and ONLY focuses on the good Tebow does, and makes excuses for any time Tebow fails. For instance, if Tebow struggles, he blames the receivers or play calling. When Tebow does good, he gives all the credit to Tebow.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-11-2012, 10:08 PM
I think Skip Bayless is way over the top. He's every bit as bad, if not worse, than the people that criticize Tebow no matter what he does, like Merril Hoge. Bayless is not being an objective observer, which is the goal of a reporter, instead he's acting like a star struck fan and ONLY focuses on the good Tebow does, and makes excuses for any time Tebow fails. For instance, if Tebow struggles, he blames the receivers or play calling. When Tebow does good, he gives all the credit to Tebow.

I sometimes have wondered if between Bayless and Stephen A. Smith - it is not somewhat of a setup - I have never seen them agree on anything - therefore, the plan is - one will be pro, and the other one will be con, which, of course brings people in on both sides - just a thought.

Dreadnought
01-11-2012, 10:28 PM

Hell, Turf, it wasn't until "The Drive" that I finally and begrudgingly accepted Elway...and still later before I forgave him for wearing Craig Morton's number. Thats how fans can be.

It is odd that while we long for the next Elway, a few Elway fans act as if they really don't ever want to find the next Elway. The idea of another QB winning hearts and minds is almost like Blasphemy. Like I said, it took me a while to warm up to Elway, so I understand

Tned
01-11-2012, 10:28 PM
I sometimes have wondered if between Bayless and Stephen A. Smith - it is not somewhat of a setup - I have never seen them agree on anything - therefore, the plan is - one will be pro, and the other one will be con, which, of course brings people in on both sides - just a thought.

Probably right. In that format, two people strongly disagreeing works much better than agreeing.

Dreadnought
01-11-2012, 10:32 PM

ESPN - doing for journalism what the WWF did for rasslin'

Dapper Dan
01-12-2012, 01:31 AM
ESPN - doing for journalism what the WWF did for rasslin'

At least rasslin's real.

Tned
01-12-2012, 09:20 AM
This isn't a thread to promote or bash religion or Christianity. Those types of rants (pro or con) are reserved for the Religion forum.

OrangeHoof
01-12-2012, 09:50 AM

Wow. That is just sick. And that's from NFL.com not the National Enquirer? Sick.

OrangeHoof
01-12-2012, 09:57 AM
It's 90% fake. Made up arguing just to get more people watching and talking about ESPN and the show.

I definitely agree about Bayless. Don't forget he first gained notoriety working in Dallas ripping a true Christian/sports icon in Tom Landry for - you guessed it - applying his faith to his work. I know there are a lot of Cowboy fans who still haven't forgotten that.

Chef Zambini
01-12-2012, 10:37 AM
Okay, what's your reaction to, say, Skip Bayless in particular?skip is PAID to instigate, to stir the pot and create controversy ! skip is fanning the flames! the HYPE , good or bad is excessive and ludicrous.
Iam pleased to hear so many of our fellow posters rflect an opinion of excessive coverage.
the media, what a joke! I always love when a reporter asks an athlete,
'is this a distraction'?
just once I would like to hear an athlete say,
" no ITS not a distrasction, YOU and your MO-FO camera and all the other barnicles in this locker-room, you clowns are the distraction" !

the GPS in tebows car wont work because he is so polarizing.

Chef Zambini
01-12-2012, 10:42 AM
I sometimes have wondered if between Bayless and Stephen A. Smith - it is not somewhat of a setup - I have never seen them agree on anything - therefore, the plan is - one will be pro, and the other one will be con, which, of course brings people in on both sides - just a thought.well... duh.
its all a farce, just like rasslin' !

OrangeHoof
01-12-2012, 10:44 AM
The idolatry over Tebow has been excessive but I don't think most Broncos fans are swayed by it. I find myself more amused by Tebow's exploits than won over by them.

But there is a narrative in all of this that I find compelling - one that didn't exist when he was winning titles at Florida and rarely lost. It's blatantly obvious that Tebow lacks basic NFL quarterbacking skill more than anyone since maybe Joe Kapp - and having watched Vince Young frequently as a UT alum, that's really saying something.

He's clearly in over his head but I believe God delivers Tim just enough to win the game and just enough to win the division, etc. because Tim truly does live for His pleasure and gives Him the praise in return. If Tim Tebow were Kurt Warner, we would all be dazzled by his skill as a passer and believe it was talent, not God, winning games each week. But Tim is a terrible passer which then forces people to consider how he still managed to win games.

It's that aspect of the "miracles" which has me fascinated. And then to watch the reactions to them. It's like a reality show with a slightly different twist every week. You'd almost think this was all staged if it wasn't the NFL.

So people have to ask themselves whether they truly believe there is a God who cares enough about one faithful lad to give him football glory in return for the reflective praise Tim gives back so publicly. Is God using the very public venue of professional football to reach people who would never step into a church or listen to a sermon in order to touch some who might otherwise never listen? In our pop culture American Idol society, how better to get their attention (assuming you don't want earthquakes and tsunamis like Japan)?

If He is, then the Tim Tebow saga makes sense on so many levels. If that's not the case and these victories are all just random sports outcomes well, hey, at least I got to enjoy watching the Steelers get screwed in the playoffs. That's not a bad fallback position.

Chef Zambini
01-12-2012, 10:47 AM
the TEBOW + bachman = BEIBER made this whole thread worthwhile! I havent laughed that hard since yesterday when HITLER re=capped the steekers game !

Tned
01-12-2012, 10:55 AM
the GPS in tebows car wont work because he is so polarizing.

GPS doesn't use a magnetic compass system. Epic Fail.

rjent
01-12-2012, 10:58 AM
religion, the OPUIM of the masses....

Nice Communist quote .... :eek:

Fullback32
01-12-2012, 11:28 AM
If anything the Broncos are much like the Dallas Cowboys, if their is remotely a sniff of guy who might be not be half bad, but not great, that guy will get voted into the probowl.

Gotta disagree. The Broncos don't have an owner that craves the media coverage that Tebow gets and is the second coming of Al Davis.

To the OP: the media coverage of Tebow is a little out of control. But, this is to be expected. The media loves a story and will drive it into the ground. Of course, if Tebow falters over the long term, this same media will turn on him in a heartbeat and crush him into the ground or, at best, ignore him and he becomes yesterday's news.

As to whether or not media coverage forms my opinion of Tebow, the answer is no. As one of the other posters said it, "the team's wins and losses affected my opinions on Tebow." I couldn't have said it better. People who are fans of the game of NFL football and understand it, do try to watch with a cold eye and will not allow hype to affect their opinions too much. The majority of the people in a forum like this (or that of any other team) are serious fans of their team and football in general, so we're not going to be swayed one way or the other by media coverage. Hell, we aren't swayed by each other. :lol:

Serious fans try to form our opinions on W-L records, stats and Xs and Os. Yeah, sometimes we come to flawed conclusions as we are just fans and not professional analysts, but we aren't going to just jump on-board because the media, in essence, told us to. The casual "fan" will drop off if the Broncos or Tebow falters. I'm not concerned with them. I want to see what Tebow does over the long-term. I definitely want him to succeed though because I want the Broncos to win and win a lot.

The religious stuff? Meh. I'm an agnostic so it doesn't affect me one way or the other. I don't care what TT believes so long as he is winning us games. What I do care about are first downs and touch downs. So long as he is doing that, he can worship a pair of socks in his dresser drawer and tell every one about it for all I care.

As to the atricle, I clicked on it when I went on NFL.com this morning. I took one look at it and closed it. A poor excuse for sports journalism. When did nfl.com become "Entertainment Tonight?" Sickening in my opinion.

Joel
01-12-2012, 07:57 PM
The idolatry over Tebow....
Sometimes I honestly wonder about that, though less since Tebow toned it down in the wake of Kurt Warners public rebuke. It is easy to get the impression Tebow thinks Christianity needs him more than the reverse. I wonder even more when I consider that in the lead up to his Super Bowl ad he played badly and was beaten badly by Alabama in their SEC Championship rematch, denied even the chance to defend Floridas National "Championship" against Texas. I wondered when the "Tebowing" phenomenon sprang forth on the internet and the Lions crushed Denver in the next game, our worst loss all year, during which Stephen Tulloch "Tebowed" over the eponymous QBs prostrate form after sacking him.

Sorry, I just think God has higher priorities than football, and there's factual evidence to support that view. Back in '73 an NFL coach in conjunction with Billy Graham put out a comic book about his team explaining how indispensable Christ was to the teams success. That didn't prevent them losing both Super Bowl meetings with the Steelers Team of the Decade by 4 points each. Makes you wonder where God was when that same team was contesting a trip to the first two Super Bowls with the coach who said, "Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing" and has the trophy named after him. My guess is He was enjoying the game between a team coached by a Methodist Sunday school teacher and one coached by a devout Catholic, whose famous statement God might not have taken literally.

MOST NFL athletes, probably most US athletes, are religious, and most Christian. I don't think high profile professions of faith induce God to help less skilled Christian athletes beat more skilled Christian athletes. That doesn't seem like the style of a fair and just deity, nor would anyone wish it to be. Maybe we'll see Saturday; I think the Pats re-hiring McDumbass just before playing us stinks to high heaven, and certainly HOPE so. I guess I'll wait and see there, too; there have been a few games when I admit I was praying at the end (which I normally don't; it feels wrong to ask God to take a victory from a team that earned it) because I flat pitied our guys working so hard, accomplishing so much, and still losing. THIS time, however, I feel like a Broncos win would be simple justice, something I believe God values.

Sorry if this got a little "P&R," but it tends to happen when discussing Tebow, which is part of what bothers me when he makes his faith an issue in the context of games. Christianity shouldn't be a Broncos shibboleth.

OrangeHoof
01-12-2012, 08:01 PM
OTOH, the Broncos are making money hand over fist due to Tebow merchandizing. They could shut him up if they really wanted to but who wants to interrupt the manna from heaven?

Denver Native (Carol)
01-12-2012, 08:09 PM
OTOH, the Broncos are making money hand over fist due to Tebow merchandizing. They could shut him up if they really wanted to but who wants to interrupt the manna from heaven?

The Broncos are not making any more on Tebow merchandise than the rest of the teams are - the money goes into a pot, and is divided equally. There was an article a few years ago, which said the profit on a jersey sale was 11 cents - did not say if 11 cents for each team, or if that was split between all teams.

Chef Zambini
01-13-2012, 08:40 AM
I must make an apology to carol a fellow poster whom i respect and meant no ill will.. My referance to the SNL skit was a comparison of the dialogue that went on between Dan ackroyd and jane curtane, his referance to her as" an ignorant slut" was hyperboli for how these one on one debates breakdown!
i SWEAR I NEVER meant the phrase for CAROL, but now I see how it could easily have been mis-interpreted !
I am very sorry !
I dont consider her anything close to ignorant, I read and appreciate her view and comments, and for me to call someone I have only met on this fourum a "slut' would be absurd at the very least, and highly inappropriate and frankly, ludicrous for a new member.
I never intended to slander Carol, I promise I respect all who post here and feel a brothewrhood/ sisterhood with all those who are indeed bronco fans.
again to carol, My sincerest apologise! Those words I, promise, were not intended towards you, or were in any way a reflection of my feelings towards you, I was just quoting what I considered to be the funniest "flash-point" line of that comedy skit, a parody of one on one debates,a farce, just like the debate between skip and steven A. smith.

Chef Zambini
01-13-2012, 08:43 AM
GPS doesn't use a magnetic compass system. Epic Fail.its comedy, dont let technology get in the way.

Chef Zambini
01-13-2012, 08:46 AM
I sometimes have wondered if between Bayless and Stephen A. Smith - it is not somewhat of a setup - I have never seen them agree on anything - therefore, the plan is - one will be pro, and the other one will be con, which, of course brings people in on both sides - just a thought.BINGO, they pick sides and play advocate! ironiocly, skip is always the "devil'
the devil defending tebow its irony at its best !

Tned
01-13-2012, 08:47 AM
its comedy, dont let technology get in the way.

One problem, your comments lack the one ingredient key to good comedy -- that being that they are actually funny.

Again, Epic Fail.

Chef Zambini
01-13-2012, 09:21 AM
gosh I have failed to make you smile ,laugh or even appreciate a clever notion,
I feel just aweful.
Perhaps I can use my GPS to direct me to the nearest cliff.

OrangeHoof
01-13-2012, 01:04 PM
Chef, I catch myself making outdated references sometimes and not even realizing people may not understand. I recently talked to some co-workers about someone who was an "Eddie Haskell" and one of my older co-workers said "I'll bet I'm the only other one here who knows who Eddie Haskell is." And it's true, many of the others needed this reference explained to them.

So, I caught the "ignorant slut" joke but that WAS 30+ years ago they were making that crack (which was - itself - a parody of the old Point/Counterpoint segment between Shana Alexander and James Kilpatrick on CBS' "60 Minutes" before Andy Rooney's segment replaced it, not that James ever used that line but the discourse was so harsh that at times you presumed that this was what he was saying under his breath).

Still, better to be cautious when addressing women like that, even flippantly.

Joel
01-13-2012, 04:54 PM
I'll always think of you like my sister, too, Zam. ;)

OrangeHoof
01-13-2012, 08:32 PM
I'll always think of you like my sister, too, Zam. ;)

Me too, you ignorant slut! ;)

Joel
01-13-2012, 10:23 PM
Me too, you ignorant slut! ;)
How dare you, sir?! :mad: I'll have you know THIS slut knows many things (in the biblical sense, of course.)

BroncoNut
01-19-2012, 01:12 PM
why does Zam salute all of his own posts? Has he always done this or am I just noticing it?