PDA

View Full Version : Tebow winning not just games..

pdandreu
01-11-2012, 12:41 PM
Came across this on a random website. Pretty funny. Tim Tebow wins New Hampshire primary out of nowhere (http://dailypygmy.com/tim-tebow-wins-new-hampshire-primary-out-of-nowhere/). lol

OrangeHoof
01-11-2012, 12:50 PM
I'd vote for Tebow over Romney or Obama... so long as he still has time to quarterback the Broncos.

Nick
01-11-2012, 01:45 PM
I understand Obama got away from not being born in the US but can someone born in Philippines be president?

rjent
01-11-2012, 02:14 PM
I understand Obama got away from not being born in the US but can someone born in Philippines be president?

Both of his parents are citizens when he was born. That is the way I understand it. Obama's dad was not an American by most counts. That is the way I understand it.

claymore
01-11-2012, 02:17 PM
Both of his parents are citizens when he was born. That is the way I understand it. Obama's dad was not an American by most counts. That is the way I understand it.

I heard he couldnt on some show the other day. I was wondering if it was true or not...

OrangeHoof
01-11-2012, 02:29 PM
It boils down to the interpretation of "native born" that is in the early federal laws regarding qualifications to be president. The concern was that the president needed to be beholden to America first above any other nation.

Some claim "native born" should mean "born on American soil" while others believe it should mean "born of two American parents". John McCain, FWIW, was born on an American military base in Panama since his father was in the U.S. Navy. Democrats threatened Republicans in 2008 that if they challenged Obama's eligibility to be president, they would challenge McCain's eligibility.

BroncoJoe
01-11-2012, 02:30 PM
It boils down to the interpretation of "native born" that is in the early federal laws regarding qualifications to be president. The concern was that the president needed to be beholden to America first above any other nation.

Some claim "native born" should mean "born on American soil" while others believe it should mean "born of two American parents". John McCain, FWIW, was born on an American military base in Panama since his father was in the U.S. Navy. Democrats threatened Republicans in 2008 that if they challenged Obama's eligibility to be president, they would challenge McCain's eligibility.

US Military Bases abroad are considered American Soil.

rjent
01-11-2012, 05:51 PM
Some (a very small amount) research:

Only native-born U.S. citizens (or those born abroad, but only to parents who were both citizens of the U.S.) may be president of the United States, though from time to time that requirement is called into question, most recently after Arnold Schwarzenegger, born in Austria, was elected governor of California, in 2003. The Constitution originally provided a small loophole to this provision: One needn't have been born in the United States but had to be a citizen at the time the Constitution was adopted. But, since that occurred in 1789, that ship has sailed.

One must also be at least 35 years of age to be president. John F. Kennedy was the youngest person to be elected president; he was 43 years old when he was inaugurated in 1961. There is no maximum age limit set forth in the Constitution. Ronald Reagan was the oldest president; at the end of his term in 1988, he was nearly 77.

Finally, one must live in the United States for at least 14 years to be president, in addition to being a natural-born citizen. The Constitution is vague on this point. For example, it does not make clear whether those 14 years need to be consecutive or what the precise definition of residency is. So far, however, this requirement has not been challenged.

Linky (http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/thepresidentandcabinet/a/presrequire.htm)

Dzone
01-11-2012, 06:08 PM
They had a vote on foxsports radio Who is the most popular athlete in America. Tebow was #1. Of course. Kobe was #2.
Tebowmania is awesome man! Broncomania is at a fever pitch. We got to love this while it lasts! I love every damn second of this. I keep listening to the local sports radio talk. I got 850koa on right now. It ridiculous. :salute::salute::salute:

Nick
01-11-2012, 06:15 PM
They had a vote on foxsports radio Who is the most popular athlete in America. Tebow was #1. Of course. Kobe was #2.
Tebowmania is awesome man! Broncomania is at a fever pitch. We got to love this while it lasts! I love every damn second of this. I keep listening to the local sports radio talk. I got 850koa on right now. It ridiculous. :salute::salute::salute:

I love the media attention. Do no like the fans. It feels like deja vu when all the fans jumped onto the bandwagon after Broncos beat Greenbay. :coffee:

Joel
01-11-2012, 07:10 PM
Funny article; the one they had on people equally eager to see more photoshopped Palin picks AND have her stay out of politics was good, too.

As far as the meaning of "natural born" American, it is an INCREDIBLY fuzzy legal issue. So much so that prior to the 2008 election Congress passed a bill explicitly stating McCain qualified as such; Obama was one of the many cosponsors. To define the phrase, the Naturalization Act of 1790 is more useful than the Constitution (which only sets "natural born citizenship" as a requirement for the Presidency, without defining it:)
http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/ampage
That's the ONLY place America has EVER defined "natural born citizenship" by law, but covers both McCain and Obama: Each is the son of an American citizen, and the father of each had resided in America prior to their birth (note the statute only requires paternal RESIDENCE, not CITIZENSHIP.) It really does not matter WHERE Obama OR McCain was born.

WTE
01-11-2012, 07:25 PM
I voted in the New Hampshire primary and Tebow's name was not even on the ballot.

But I will admit that after I voted for Mitt I left the voter's booth, lowered myself to the ground and Tebowed.