PDA

View Full Version : Jags Hire Mularkey as Head Coach

Ziggy
01-11-2012, 12:42 AM
I guess this means that our offensive coordinator will be here for another year. This should be a mixed bag.

DenBronx
01-11-2012, 12:49 AM
Ehh....as much as I have hated McCoys play calling at times I can't argue with the results. We have had really good play callers before but no playoffs and no playoff wins. Last one we had that could really stroke fear into someone would be Kubiak.

I think McCoy has finally got it when it comes to what Tebow can do and I think what we saw last week is what we could see on a regular basis.

wayninja
01-11-2012, 01:16 AM
Mularkey? Jags? Seems like we should have a forum for this stuff.

Ziggy
01-11-2012, 01:40 AM
Mularkey? Jags? Seems like we should have a forum for this stuff.

Relax, kid. It affects the Broncos as much as it does the Jags. If the mods want to move it, they can.

dogfish
01-11-2012, 02:26 AM
i don't love mccoy, but i give him grudging respect for what he's done this year. . . i won't cry if someone happens to hire him, but frankly im just as happy to have him back for another year at this point because some continuity probably creates the ideal environment for the growth and development of our young offense. . .

if we aren't making the progress we want in a year or two (after the kids have their fundamentals down), then we can look at making a change if need be, and feel more confident that our young vets can absorb a new system and terminology without setting back their crucial early development. . . JMO. . .

Ziggy
01-11-2012, 02:36 AM
i don't love mccoy, but i give him grudging respect for what he's done this year. . . i won't cry if someone happens to hire him, but frankly im just as happy to have him back for another year at this point because some continuity probably creates the ideal environment for the growth and development of our young offense. . .

if we aren't making the progress we want in a year or two (after the kids have their fundamentals down), then we can look at making a change if need be, and feel more confident that our young vets can absorb a new system and terminology without setting back their crucial early development. . . JMO. . .

Agreed Dog. Our offense has improved throughout the season, barring a couple of bad games at the end. It appears that Tebow was brought along at a pretty good pace. His confidence is soaring and he's peaking at just the right time.

On a side note, keep the name Dog. The other one sucked. :D

DenBronx
01-11-2012, 03:00 AM

my thoughts too. another year growing with the QB might do alot of good.

PAINTERDAVE
01-11-2012, 03:02 AM
Mularkey is the guy who stood us up lastyear.

What a swift move..
traded a shot to be the Head Coach of the Broncos..
to be the man at Jacksonville.. LOL

Nick
01-11-2012, 03:17 AM
That is great. McCoy is awesome.

BroncoStud
01-11-2012, 08:32 AM
McCoy isn't that good but Mularkey sucks. He couldn't even score a TD with his offense in the playoffs and they seem to have forgotten how to run the football. He won't sniff the playoffs in Jacksonville.

CoachChaz
01-11-2012, 08:40 AM
Falcons o line is atrocious. I'm not shocked they couldnt score against the Giants DL

Slick
01-11-2012, 08:56 AM
I said the same thing when the rumors starting flying, dog. Keep the guys together and develop some continuity.

I hope someone doesnt snatch up Allen, either. If they do, I would go after Spagnuolo.

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Mike
01-11-2012, 09:06 AM
I don't want to jinx anything.

Mike McCoy is an idiot.

wayninja
01-11-2012, 09:06 AM
Relax, kid. It affects the Broncos as much as it does the Jags. If the mods want to move it, they can.

It affects the Broncos as much as the Jags? Explain.

Mike
01-11-2012, 09:11 AM
It affects the Broncos as much as the Jags? Explain.

Because McCoy was an option. I don't see a problem with this discussion here.

rcsodak
01-11-2012, 09:17 AM
I said the same thing when the rumors starting flying, dog. Keep the guys together and develop some continuity.

I hope someone doesnt snatch up Allen, either. If they do, I would go after Spagnuolo.

Again. Spags is back at Philly.

TXBRONC
01-11-2012, 09:35 AM

I don't have a big problem with McCoy. I agree that we've been overly conservative at time but I also take into consideration that Tebow is not the most polished of passers so I look at it as them not trying to put to much on his plate.

On a side note, I'm glad you changed your handle back to dogfish because it's better to be a dog than a tard. :lol:

Slick
01-11-2012, 10:03 AM
Again. Spags is back at Philly.

Again?

This is the first thing I have said on the subject.

wayninja
01-11-2012, 10:15 AM
Because McCoy was an option. I don't see a problem with this discussion here.

Yeah, I don't really care whether it's here or not, just wondering now how this affects Denver at all.

Technically, most everyone was an option. Now they aren't.

Dzone
01-11-2012, 10:20 AM
Rothlesburger again you showed poor judgement. You could have gained some fans instead people think youre an *******. If you look like an *******, then people think youre probably an *******. AssHat. Makes us appreciate the QB we have even more.

Dzone
01-11-2012, 10:22 AM
Hell ya, McCoy is auditioning for a job this Saturday. If we advance, the higher his value. Same with Allen. If we shut down Tom Brady, Allen stock will skyrocket and everyone will want him.

Slick
01-11-2012, 10:34 AM
Again?

This is the first thing I have said on the subject.

http://www.philly2philly.com/sports/sports_articles/2012/1/11/58363/steve_spagnuolo_returning_the_philadelphia_eagleso r_not

Not a done deal my friend. According to Florio, the Falcons want him too...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/11/falcons-would-love-to-land-spaganuolo-for-coordinator-job/

wayninja
01-11-2012, 10:41 AM
Hell ya, McCoy is auditioning for a job this Saturday.

If you mean Jags, no he's not. I'm not aware of any other interviews McCoy has...

underrated29
01-11-2012, 11:32 AM
I don't want to jinx anything.

Mike McCoy is an idiot.

Not while he is our OC no.

But yes he is.

AND WE MUST KEEP ALLEN AT ALL COSTS! I LOVE THAT GUY!

I love his power stance right hook fist pump he did too, after champ broke up that pass that saved the game. Go back and look at it. Its my favorite.

Nick
01-11-2012, 12:08 PM
I like Allen also.

The thing is McCoy and Allen are very young upcoming. Both around the same age I believe.

Both are very talented and then you put with a HC that has been in league forever. That is a strong nucleus.

OrangeHoof
01-11-2012, 12:54 PM
Somehow, "Jacksonville Jaguars" and "Mularkey" just seem to go together.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-11-2012, 01:25 PM
I guess this means that our offensive coordinator will be here for another year. This should be a mixed bag.

I have no problem with McCoy remaining here as the OC. When it came out that Jacksonville had requested to speak to him, the article stated that how McCoy took a pro style offense, and week by week implemented things into it for Tebow's style, that would serve well on his resume. If people really thought about it, that was not an easy task to do - it had to be a learning process.

Joel
01-12-2012, 10:29 AM
LT Clady (4th year) LG Beadles (2nd year) C Walton (2nd year) RG Kuper (6th year) RT Franklin (Rookie)

QB Tebow (2nd year) RB McGahee (9th year) TE Fells (4th year) WR Thomas (2nd year) Decker (2nd year) Royal (4th year)

It's the same with most subs: Our offenses average age is 25.6 (and drops to 24.4 without McGahee, Kuper and Fells.) They lack the experience to consistently run ANYTHING well. Good coaching will fix that over time.

Ehh....as much as I have hated McCoys play calling at times I can't argue with the results. We have had really good play callers before but no playoffs and no playoff wins. Last one we had that could really stroke fear into someone would be Kubiak.

I think McCoy has finally got it when it comes to what Tebow can do and I think what we saw last week is what we could see on a regular basis.
I hope you're right about that explaining the dynamic we've seen this year, both in terms of the success it brought Sunday and because that offense is the kind I want the Broncos and League to run. I saw an analyst joke that Sunday really was like something from the '40s: Crap completion percentage, HUGE YPA and TD%. I agree, except the Int% was typically low for Tebow but atypically for '40s passers.

Much has been said around this forum about Tebows completion percentage being much lower than other passers because the length of his passes is much HIGHER than theirs. The same was true, for the same reason, 70 years ago: Teams passed far less, and completed still less--but almost always heaved those few passes a LONG way, so nearly ALL completions at least put them in FG range. Basically, plod down the field getting 4 yards per carry then, when no one's looking, try a scoring strike; if it fails, continue the drive with 4 yards per carry and end up scoring anyway. The key thing is not passing unless:

1) It's wide open, 2) it's a big gain, 3) you need a lot for a first down, 4) you're way behind and/or 5) there's not much time left.

Unless at least one of those things apply, hand off to the back OR call a QB keeper. Note: CALL it, not send the RB and QB around the end and let them decide who gets it at the last second; that's a disaster in the pros.

It requires a QB who passes AND runs well, but those are becoming more common in the NFL. IF you have one who's pretty good at both, he can pass 20 times a game, your primary back can run as many more, and the QB can call his own number about 10 times. Suddenly your star runner is good for more than 3 years, because he's not getting pounded into hamburger 30 times a week. Yet you've still got a 60/40 run/pass ratio that protects the ball, tires defences and kills the clock, all without having to keep 5 running backs on the roster. When you DO pass, opponents must PRAY it's incomplete, because it'll cost them points nearly every time it's not.

I'm not saying ONLY throw 50 yard bombs, just don't throw many passes for less than first down yardage. I would love to see our team--ANY team--run that offense. Mix in a few short passes every now and then, say 7 out of 20, to keep the defence honest, but none of that West Coast dink and dunk garbage that mass produces pick sixes and frequently leaves you in 3rd and 5 at your 30 DESPITE the higher completion percentage. A pick on a quick out gives the ball to a DB at a sprint close to your goal line, with no one in front of it; a pick on a 50 yard bomb is basically a punt.

Passing is riskier than running, but justified if--and ONLY if--accompanied by proportionately higher rewards. Doubling the chance of a turnover (which, statistically, passing does) is only worth it when moving the chains or scoring points. If all you stand to gain is the same 5 yards a decent run would get, do that instead. It's less than half as likely to cause a turnover, and a bad first down run still usually gets at least a yard or two rather than 2nd and 10. Occasionally you'll be tackled for a loss, but rarely as big a loss as most sacks.

That would be devastating, but requires good execution in all phases of a complex system, so I doubt we can do it consistently before another year or two. Before anyone says it won't score enough, check the date a team scored the most points in NFL history (which happened to be a Championship:) http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/194012080was.htm

Joel
01-12-2012, 10:34 AM
In case it wasn't clear from the above post, if last Sunday represents the ideal or norm for our offense, I'm on board with McCoy (and, by extension, Fox) and glad the Jags didn't grab him.