PDA

View Full Version : Brian Dawkins a Bronco

Pages : [1] 2

Magnificent Seven
02-27-2009, 02:41 PM
Safety Brian Dawkins is on his way to Denver for a visit. Dawkins has played 13 seasons in the NFL, all with the Eagles. The Broncos ranked 29th in the NFL in total defense in 2009.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/02/27/dawkins-will-visit-broncos/

dogfish
02-27-2009, 02:49 PM
hmmmm. . . .

i've got all the respect in the world for dawkins. . . he's a fiery competitor, the prototype for the position, and overall one of the highest impact defenders of his generation-- the guy is one of the best safeties to ever play the game. . .

but he doesn't have near the range or quickness that he used to. . . i wouldn't hate signing him, as he'd bring some serious attitude and leadership, but i do wish they'd take a look at somebody like sean jones that could be a long term solution and not a stopgap that we'll be looking to replace a year or two down the road-- better use of our money, IMO. . . .

JONtheBRONCO
02-27-2009, 02:50 PM
I'd love it! Please!

TXBRONC
02-27-2009, 02:53 PM
Maybe McDaniels sees in him Rodney Harrison type player.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-27-2009, 02:54 PM
I could live with this.

bcbronc
02-27-2009, 02:55 PM
hmmmm. . . .

i've got all the respect in the world for dawkins. . . he's a fiery competitor, the prototype for the position, and overall one of the highest impact defenders of his generation-- the guy is one of the best safeties to ever play the game. . .

but he doesn't have near the range or quickness that he used to. . . i wouldn't hate signing him, as he'd bring some serious attitude and leadership, but i do wish they'd take a look at somebody like sean jones that could be a long term solution and not a stopgap that we'll be looking to replace a year or two down the road-- better use of our money, IMO. . . .

if we bring in a decent prospect in the draft to compete with Barrett and Woodyard to replace Dawkins in 1-2 years, it's a great move. Lynch had lost a step or two before he became a Bronco and that worked out.

BigCurly1230
02-27-2009, 02:57 PM
I like it.....

But, is this where safeties are coming to die?

Lynch and now Dawkins?
If we are lucky we may get Ed Reed in another 5 years !!
:lol:

Magnificent Seven
02-27-2009, 02:58 PM
The Philadelphia Eagles may be losing out on safety Brian Dawkins. The 13-year Pro and leader of the Eagles defense will travel to Denver Friday to meet with the Broncos, sources close to Dawkins said. There have been preliminary discussions with Denver but no offer has been made. The Eagles have made Dawkins an offer, but it is not a one-year deal as some have speculated. The Eagles typically are reluctant to re-sign 30-something veterans, and Dawkins is 34. However, he is a leader on the field, in the locker room and in the community, and the Eagles have said they want him back. Dawkins is coming off a Pro Bowl season where he did not miss a start, was third on the team in tackles and had a club-high six forced fumbles.

http://clarkjudge.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/view/6384866

BRONCOSFREAK765
02-27-2009, 03:25 PM
yes him and hill would improve our secondary...now bring in oshansky, canty and marques douglas, mike wright and fields.

MOtorboat
02-27-2009, 03:26 PM
yes him and hill would improve our secondary...now bring in oshansky, canty and marques douglas, mike wright and fields draft only offense and we might as well have just hung on to Shanahan.

Fixed.

BRONCOSFREAK765
yes him and hill would improve our secondary...now bring in oshansky, canty and marques douglas, mike wright and fields.

wait canty is going to want too much and will probably sign with the giants.

MOtorboat
P.S.

I want Dawkins.

underrated29
02-27-2009, 03:29 PM
wait canty is going to want too much and will probably sign with the giants.

Who cares we got 30 mil. Lets splurge a little bit.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-27-2009, 03:29 PM
PS...I love you mizzou

MOtorboat
02-27-2009, 03:30 PM

On the right guys...last thing this team needs to do is to try and fix the defense through free agency. It won't work.

Buff
02-27-2009, 03:32 PM
As I posted in another thread, I'm all for this--

I've said all along if we're going to sign an aging vet I hope its Dawkins... We need 2 new starting safeties, and we can't get both of those in the draft. Dawkins could be like our version of Rodney Harrison, the chargers let him go thinking he was in the downswing of his career and he squeaked out another 3-4 productive years.

Plus Dawkins is tough as nails, plays injured, and is a great veteran leader...

BRONCOSFREAK765
02-27-2009, 03:32 PM

would rather splurge on bartell

Timmy!
02-27-2009, 04:05 PM
Sign him.

shank
02-27-2009, 04:11 PM
wa sh edup

MasterShake
02-27-2009, 04:21 PM
This dude was still lighting people up this season. Nice veteran leadership, and I bet he has at least a few good years in him. I like it!

BigAL56
02-27-2009, 04:24 PM
I don't know why people are complaining about free agency not fixing the defense. This defense can't be "fixed" this year anyway. What we need to do is improve to give this team a shot while young guys develop. Dawkins would be fantastic for the Broncos. Had a great season last year. And he would be good to mentor any young guys that come in at the safety position. This would immediately improve our defense. I really hope we pull the trigger. I would love to see Dawkins come out and do his little dance in orange and blue. That thing is scary

broncofaninfla
02-27-2009, 04:24 PM
He is better than any safety we currently have or had last year

Broncospsycho77
02-27-2009, 04:26 PM
Man... if we went from last year's emotionless team to a team with Dawkins, maybe Maualuga, the D could have potential to be one of the most passionate in the league. Talent... maybe a little less.

broncofaninfla
02-27-2009, 04:32 PM
Posted by ESPN.com's Matt Mosley
Philadelphia Eagles (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=phi) unrestricted free agent Brian Dawkins (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=978) is reportedly on his way to visit the Broncos as we speak (http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/02/27/dawkins-will-visit-broncos/). I know that's a shock to the system for a lot of Eagles fans, but I wouldn't get to worried about the visit. Dawkins is simply trying to create a little leverage.
He'll get an offer and then he'll call Andy Reid and Joe Banner to see if they'll counter. Dawkins played too well down the stretch for the Eagles to let him go. And they don't have anyone ready to replace him.

BigCurly1230
02-27-2009, 04:53 PM
Brian Dawkins Signs in Denver
Friday, February 27, 2009
Posted By Mike Florio 4:38 PM
After 13 years with the Eagles, safety Brian Dawkins will have a new home.

David White of the San Francisco Chronicle reports that Dawkins has agreed to terms with the Broncos.

Dawkins, 35, had said during the season that he thought he'd work out a deal to end his career in Philly. It could still happen, but only after a stint with the Broncos.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-27-2009, 04:54 PM
Cool beans.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-27-2009, 04:55 PM
or not...

BigCurly1230
02-27-2009, 04:56 PM
Business is starting to pick up
:defense:

honz
02-27-2009, 05:00 PM
It looks like our intense negotiations with Paxton didn't get in the way of us signing defensive players after all. :rolleyes:

Great signing. Good player, great leader.

bcbronc
02-27-2009, 05:00 PM
I can't wait to get home from work so I can fire up Madden 2009 and listen to Dawkins pregame speech. over and over and over again!

BigCurly1230
02-27-2009, 05:02 PM
I'm gonna put madden 09 in right now and put our free agents on our team
:)

bcbronc
02-27-2009, 05:04 PM
make sure you start with Lonnie. show him the respect he deserves.

BigCurly1230
02-27-2009, 05:06 PM
I was gonna leave him out

SmilinAssasSin27
02-27-2009, 05:07 PM
make sure you start with Lonnie. show him the respect he deserves.

I just spit out my drink. :beer:

Slick
02-27-2009, 05:08 PM
Maybe a couple years too late, but his leadership skills and passion for the game are undeniable. It's hard to bitch about a signing like this.

Italianmobstr7
02-27-2009, 05:08 PM
Awesome!!!!

Bronco4ever
02-27-2009, 05:09 PM
Sweet! Dawkins is getting up there in age, but I love his fire and leadership.

chazoe60
02-27-2009, 05:09 PM
My guess is we brought him to back up Lonnie

BigCurly1230
02-27-2009, 05:10 PM
Sorry, Raiders: Dawkins to Broncos

Get used to dealing with hard-hitting safety Brian Dawkins twice a year: he just agreed to a deal with the Broncos, a league source told The Chronicle, bringing some muscle and old-school attitude to the mostly athletic and finesse-minded AFC West.

A press conference is coming Saturday to introduce Dawkins, the source said.

The perrenial Pro Bowler is 35 but should have another year or two in the tank. He's the sort of tough and on-target safety the Raiders have been missing for years. As it turns out, they won't have a chance of signing him now.

Earlier today, I listed Dawkins as the best available safety for the Raiders to sign. From Derrick Gibson to Michael Huff and Gibril Wilson, they have gone years without a run-stopping force back there -- and that's the biggest reason their run defense has been so bad for so long.

Huff is still too small to be that type of strong safety, so moving him back to his first NFL position won't help. Tyvon Branch is tough enough to play with a cast on his wrist, but also lacks the desired size and needs time to grow and develop.

Dawkins would have brought the sort of leadership and toughness the Raiders defense needs. We'll see what they do now.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/sfgate/detail?blogid=11&entry_id=36360

This makes it even better!!
:beer:

turftoad
02-27-2009, 05:11 PM
Meh............. older than the hills player looking to stash some $$ for retirement.

Not that excited about this. I hope he can teach our youngs guys some stuff.
In his prime the guy was a stud, that said, he's not even close to his prime anymore.

GEM
02-27-2009, 05:12 PM
35, kind of old for the NFL. Still a good player? I don't pay much attention to Philly.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-27-2009, 05:12 PM
http://i585.photobucket.com/albums/ss291/atwater271/bd.jpg

Broncospsycho77
02-27-2009, 05:13 PM
Sorry, Raiders: Dawkins to Broncos

Get used to dealing with hard-hitting safety Brian Dawkins twice a year: he just agreed to a deal with the Broncos, a league source told The Chronicle, bringing some muscle and old-school attitude to the mostly athletic and finesse-minded AFC West.

LMAO!!!

Not a lot of confidence there in the SF/Oakland papers these days...

SmilinAssasSin27
http://i585.photobucket.com/albums/ss291/atwater271/bd2.jpg

SmilinAssasSin27
http://i585.photobucket.com/albums/ss291/atwater271/bd3.jpg

SmilinAssasSin27
http://i585.photobucket.com/albums/ss291/atwater271/bd5.jpg

bcbronc
02-27-2009, 05:14 PM
http://i585.photobucket.com/albums/ss291/atwater271/bd2.jpg

not exactly ideal form, but a cool picture nonetheless.

:cool:

SmilinAssasSin27
02-27-2009, 05:14 PM
http://i585.photobucket.com/albums/ss291/atwater271/bd4.jpg

BigCurly1230
02-27-2009, 05:16 PM
He's a man!!!!!!!

Broncospsycho77
02-27-2009, 05:17 PM
You mean we'll have... safety pressure on the running game? Made tackles in the secondary?

honz
02-27-2009, 05:20 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/fa?playerId=978

Dawkins is a 13-year veteran who is 35 years old. He is very instinctive and his toughness and reactions near the line of scrimmage make him very productive. He is a proven leader in Philadelphia's secondary who continues to make a lot of plays, when healthy. He has good communication skills and does an excellent job of recognizing quickly and helping others get lined up. Athletically, he is descending but his instincts are as good as ever. He has good foot quickness in his pedal and turns. He lacks top burst in transition, but his ability to anticipate allows him to get a good jump on the ball. Near the line of scrimmage, he closes quickly and aggressively. He takes good angles and can frequently deliver a physical blow as a tackler. He does a good job of running the alley. He also can make isolation plays with a strong finish. His effort in pursuit and willingness to help others finish off plays is an excellent example for younger players to follow. Dawkins excels as a blitzer with his ability to disguise his intentions, time up the snap count and either drop into coverage or shoot through gaps effectively. He still has value near the line of scrimmage, but his speed and range in deep coverage are declining. Few players possess his instincts and toughness, but the age factor has to be taken into consideration.

Superchop 7
02-27-2009, 05:21 PM
Not sure what we paid, but a helluva leader and a great teacher.

I like this one, bodes well for the now and the future.

BigCurly1230
You mean we'll have... safety pressure on the running game? Made tackles in the secondary?

I know it sounds to good to be true!!
:laugh:

Italianmobstr7
35, kind of old for the NFL. Still a good player? I don't pay much attention to Philly.

A great player. He's a great leader, and a very good tackler. Brian Dawkins in orange and blue is freaking awesome!

dogfish

in his prime he was one of the best to ever play the position. . . he doesn't have the range and the versatility he used to, but he's still a solid player-- big hitter, excellent instincts and recognition skills, and he's as fierce and competitive as anyone in the league. . . great signing from a veteran leadership perspective, and he played at a high level last year, but for me it's tough to get too excited about signing a 35-year old DB. . . good player, but it's obviously a risk at his age. . . i wish we'd target a few guys in their prime, that can be more than one or two year stopgaps, but it's really starting to look like mcdaniels and xanders lean towards the same type of walmart shopping that shenanigans was prone to. . .

Rex
02-27-2009, 05:22 PM
Meh............. older than the hills player looking to stash some $$ for retirement.

In his prime the guy was a stud, that said, he's not even close to his prime anymore.

Better than Calvin Lowry and Marquand Manuel.

JKcatch724
02-27-2009, 05:26 PM

Combined.

JKcatch724
02-27-2009, 05:27 PM
I'm psyched about this. If nothing else, he brings leadership and intimidation to defense that had 0% of either of those.

Rex
02-27-2009, 05:27 PM
Combined.

With a sprained ankle and jock itch.

This is a major upgrade.......even if he was 38.

Medford Bronco
02-27-2009, 05:28 PM

Yeah like teach them how to tackle as hardly anyone on that D did that last season.

He has to be an upgrade over Manuel one would think:confused:

dogfish
02-27-2009, 05:30 PM

that says very, VERY little!

JONtheBRONCO
02-27-2009, 05:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eajnO_O5UO8&feature=related

Nice.

frauschieze
02-27-2009, 05:32 PM

That's not hard to do.

Rex
02-27-2009, 05:32 PM
that says very, VERY little!

I know.

I am just about ready to puke when I see people bitching and whining about FA already and it is only 1/2 along. Same effing thing last year.

Denver didnt get Scott or Haynesworth and now the "ship is rudderless" and everyone is either old or a scrub.

Teams are not built in FA. Why waste money as they have in the past on big names?

Lonestar
02-27-2009, 05:33 PM
in his prime he was one of the best to ever play the position. . . he doesn't have the range and the versatility he used to, but he's still a solid player-- big hitter, excellent instincts and recognition skills, and he's as fierce and competitive as anyone in the league. . . great signing from a veteran leadership perspective, and he played at a high level last year, but for me it's tough to get too excited about signing a 35-year old DB. . . good player, but it's obviously a risk at his age. . . i wish we'd target a few guys in their prime, that can be more than one or two year stopgaps, but it's really starting to look like mcdaniels and xanders lean towards the same type of walmart shopping that shenanigans was prone to. . .

Looks to me that they are planning on using him as a teacher for the next two years and to bring a vocal leader tot eh DB group.. hope he can be a good influence on our younger Safeties in Garret and Woody.. Perhaps they will also draft a good Safety also and he will give them some time to learn..

In no case should this former all pro be compared to the losers that mikey brought in last year..

Buff
02-27-2009, 05:34 PM
I know.

I am just about ready to puke when I see people bitching and whining about FA already and it is only 1/2 along. Same effing thing last year.

Denver didnt get Scott or Haynesworth and now the "ship is rudderless" and everyone is either old or a scrub.

Teams are not built in FA. Why waste money as they have in the past on big names?

No, but you typically don't purge more than 20 guys off your roster in one off-season either.

Lonestar
02-27-2009, 05:38 PM
I know.

Remember many of the fans here Only know mikey and his failed mess in building via FA..

On defense in particular one washed up clown after another.. or hail mary in the draft..

I also believe that the new team will bring in enough folks they like to give the rookies and UDFA that come along enough time to learn and not be thrown to the wolves..

Rome was not built in the first 12 hours of free agency..

Zweems56
02-27-2009, 05:39 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3khF1NmIWeQ&feature=related

this pickup is so friggin win.

Dawkins = wolveine + bjork

Rex
02-27-2009, 05:41 PM
No, but you typically don't purge more than 20 guys off your roster in one off-season either.

You have to flush the toilet every now and then.

Lonestar

You do when they were skells that should never been contracted to start with

And IF they were decent players never paid the prices mikey did for them..

WHO knows they may have been competent players with coaches that did not do their jobs either..

REBUILDING this team may take a couple of years.. Something mikey should have done 5-6 years ago..

EMB6903
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLSrF81Q8rM this dude is so intense its not even funny..... I love this pick up

D1g1tal j1m
Great signing. In the new 3-4, he can play close to the line half the time and blitz for different angles. He is another John Lynch in that he can still play at the line of scrimmage and bring leadership to the D for the next few years as we transition to new leadership. Constant pro.

honz
02-27-2009, 05:42 PM

All the more reason why we shouldn't put all our eggs in one basket by signing the high priced guys. We have a lot of holes to fill, and we aren't going to be able to fill them all with pro bowlers.

bcbronc
02-27-2009, 05:45 PM
Remember many of the fans here Only know mikey and his failed mess in building via FA..

On defense in particular one washed up clown after another.. or hail mary in the draft..

I also believe that the new team will bring in enough folks they like to give the rookies and UDFA that come along enough time to learn and not be thrown to the wolves..

Rome was not built in the first 12 hours of free agency..

come on JR, the Shanny era is over. time to let go.

we're already an hour into the Paxton era. try to keep up!

Medford Bronco
02-27-2009, 05:48 PM
I know.

See my thread cswill

The Official Whine Thread (http://broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=567040#post567040)

CPS22
02-27-2009, 05:51 PM
Its weird because the other day i said on one of these threads that we were goin to talk to him and probably sign him, And i got so much crap for it people saying he's to old to expensive and all that and wat do u know were talkin to him and probably goin to sign him lol.

TXBRONC
02-27-2009, 05:55 PM
I don't know why people are complaining about free agency not fixing the defense. This defense can't be "fixed" this year anyway. What we need to do is improve to give this team a shot while young guys develop. Dawkins would be fantastic for the Broncos. Had a great season last year. And he would be good to mentor any young guys that come in at the safety position. This would immediately improve our defense. I really hope we pull the trigger. I would love to see Dawkins come out and do his little dance in orange and blue. That thing is scary

I don't expect the defense to all the sudden being number one and against the pass and the run but I do hope that they are noticeable improvement over what we had last season.

Astrass
02-27-2009, 05:55 PM
not sure if someone posted this but....

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/sfgate/detail?blogid=11&entry_id=36360

Take it for what it's worth =P

SmilinAssasSin27
02-27-2009, 06:01 PM
ESPN just said it on Natl TV that he signed 2 years for 7mil

TXBRONC
02-27-2009, 06:03 PM

This is good signing in my opinion.

Dortoh
02-27-2009, 06:08 PM
2 years 7mil I'll take that

SmilinAssasSin27
02-27-2009, 06:10 PM
mane is still saying it's not 100% though...

honz
02-27-2009, 06:11 PM
Freaking steal IMO. Reasonable dollar amount and only 2 years? Are you kidding me. Great signing.

WARHORSE
02-27-2009, 06:13 PM
DAWKINS BRINGS THE WOOOOOOOOOD BACK TO THE BRONCOS DEFENSE.

Yes!

Not only that, hes an AWESOME teamate and family man.

I look for some head crushing to be going on soon in the Mile High City.

lex
02-27-2009, 06:14 PM
Maybe he can teach Barrett a thing or two. Remember, Barrett is/was as freakishly athletic as one could hope for, in particular for a low round pick. It would be great if Dawkins could take him under his wing, watch film with him, work out communication on the field, etc. And maybe by helping Barrett, in return, Barrett can maybe cover a little more ground and let Dawkins play to his strengths.

Lonestar
02-27-2009, 06:19 PM
come on JR, the Shanny era is over. time to let go.we're already an hour into the Paxton era. try to keep up!

precisely I've been over it since 01JAN.. most of the fans still think we are going to be a run first team and need a studbuffalo as a RB.. if we do not get one our season is over..

None of NE's RB over the past few years has carried all of the load it has been RBBC and most of the time the top two had 700-900 yards each.. One yea maroney had more but since Mc Kid called the O Nada..

Even this last year with a rookie QB thrown to the wolves they passed a lot and had like only 50 more rushed more than the years before..IIRC

mikey is dead long live the new King Mc Kid

claymore
02-27-2009, 06:37 PM
Its weird because the other day i said on one of these threads that we were goin to talk to him and probably sign him, And i got so much crap for it people saying he's to old to expensive and all that and wat do u know were talkin to him and probably goin to sign him lol.
Im going to start following your scouting a lot closer from now on. good work.

Medford Bronco
02-27-2009, 06:38 PM
Freaking steal IMO. Reasonable dollar amount and only 2 years? Are you kidding me. Great signing.

and he can actually tackle :salute:

Northman
02-27-2009, 06:38 PM
I would take Dawkins, but we still need to work on the DLine.

Medford Bronco
02-27-2009, 06:39 PM
I would take Dawkins, but we still need to work on the DLine.

Paul Spicer is someone I like.

jrelway
The San Francisco Chronicle cites "a league source" reporting that Brian Dawkins has agreed to a two-year contract with the Broncos.

A press conference is scheduled for Saturday. Philly was considered a near lock to retain Dawkins on a one-year deal, but he's set to quarterback the Broncos defense in a Rodney Harrison-type role. Dawkins showed last season that he has plenty left in tank and will help the Broncos defense get back to respectability while in rebuilding mode. Feb. 27 - 4:54 pm et

yes!!!!!!!!!

Northman
Im down with it. Give me a guy with some attitude. Now just work on that Dline.

Dortoh
02-27-2009, 06:40 PM
One person in San Fran reported the Dawkins info and everyone else is simply reporting on the guys reporting. Its not final yet.

I do however think it will happen still.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-27-2009, 06:41 PM
Now I kinda want Ray Lewis as well. He wants 10 mil, but once he realizes he ain't getting it, maybe we can land him for @6 or so. It would only be for 2-3 years anyways. Can you imagine how the attitude of the defense would change w/ Dawkins AND Ray?

Broncospsycho77
02-27-2009, 06:42 PM
Now I kinda want Ray Lewis as well. He wants 10 mil, but once he realizes he ain't getting it, maybe we can land him for @6 or so. It would only be for 2-3 years anyways. Can you imagine how the attitude of the defense would change w/ Dawkins AND Ray?

That'd be so badass I couldn't even stand it.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-27-2009, 06:42 PM
One person in San Fran reported the Dawkins info and everyone else is simply reporting on the guys reporting. Its not final yet.

I do however think it will happen still.

They just talked about it on ESPN like it's done. Hasselbeck and Ryan Kinney (?) had a segment discussing a few deals.

Northman
02-27-2009, 06:43 PM
:D

No kidding right? Dawkins and lewis? It would just be KILLER.

ok, that was a poor joke but i would love it none the less.

Dortoh
02-27-2009, 06:45 PM
They just talked about it on ESPN like it's done. Hasselbeck and Ryan Kinney (?) had a segment discussing a few deals.

Weird Schefter just said it was infact not a done deal.

LMAO who the **** knows

BigCurly1230
02-27-2009, 06:45 PM

Not only that.....
Could you imagine the hits we would see!
No one is going over the middle on us!
HEAD KNOCKERS!!!!!

Magnificent Seven
02-27-2009, 06:55 PM
Champ Bailey, Brian Dawkin, and who else would join with them?

Dortoh
02-27-2009, 06:56 PM
Champ Bailey, Brian Dawkin, and who else would join with them?

Jack MoFo Williams

SmilinAssasSin27
02-27-2009, 06:56 PM
Jabari Greer???

SmilinAssasSin27
02-27-2009, 06:57 PM
Bryant McFadden?

BigAL56
02-27-2009, 07:04 PM
This is so freaking sick. 2 years for 7mil is nothin! We got incredible value for that price!

SmilinAssasSin27
02-27-2009, 07:06 PM
just hope it gets official sooner than later.

Magnificent Seven
02-27-2009, 07:08 PM
Jack MoFo Williams

Jack Williams! He's good!!!! He reminds me of Darrent Williams.

JONtheBRONCO
02-27-2009, 07:14 PM
According to ESPN.com's Bill Williamson, a source close to the situation denies that a Brian Dawkins press conference has been scheduled for Saturday in Denver.

Media outlets are picking up on the San Francisco Chronicle's original report -- and Dawkins may still sign with the Broncos -- but the deal isn't done yet.

Source: ESPN.com

SmilinAssasSin27
02-27-2009, 07:29 PM
Eagles fans are indiating that hewill give Philly a chance to match...we'll see.

BigCurly1230
02-27-2009, 07:37 PM
This sucks....
I have a feeling he was using us to drive up his value

SmilinAssasSin27
02-27-2009, 07:38 PM
They are clearly pissed though. We may have taken 2 beloved Eagles.

Endzo
02-27-2009, 07:39 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eajnO...eature=related

*goosebumps

BigCurly1230
02-27-2009, 07:40 PM
They are clearly pissed though. We may have taken 2 beloved Eagles.

Other than Brian Dawkins....
I'm not happy with free agency thus far.
With B-Dawk ....it will make everything ok for me

SmilinAssasSin27
02-27-2009, 07:42 PM
I like Buckhalter and the fact that all the deals are low/no risk. We'll still get another impact guy or 2.

BigCurly1230
02-27-2009, 07:43 PM
Just found this....

DAWKINS NOT DONE IN DENVER
Posted by Mike Florio: Friday, February 27, 2009 7:08 PM
Contrary to reports linking free-agent Eagles safety Brian Dawkins to the Denver Broncos, Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that the deal "definitely" isn't done.

"He's in the air, on plane, not even in Denver yet," Schefter says.

Earlier in the day, David White of the San Francisco Chronicle reported that an agreement was reached.

He is on his way to us!
Thats good news!
At least he is not on his way back to Philly
:D

Endzo
02-27-2009, 07:44 PM
http://cbs4denver.com/sports/broncos.brian.dawkins.2.946347.html

It's official

The NFL veteran has spent his entire 13 year career with the Philadelphia Eagles...until now.

Dawkins arrived in Denver Friday afternoon shortly after 5 o'clock. He told cbs4 sports he has not yet signed the contract, but he is heading to Broncos headquarters and the contract could be signed as soon as tonight. No word yet on how much the contract is worth.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-27-2009, 07:50 PM
cool...hope that's the end of it.

BeefStew25
02-27-2009, 07:51 PM
It's official the contract is not signed!

SmilinAssasSin27
02-27-2009, 07:53 PM
good job repeating what endzo said.

BigCurly1230
02-27-2009, 08:16 PM
John Clayton says the deal is done.....

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest/0-3-1657/Video--Broncos-land-Dawkins.html

Buff
02-27-2009, 08:18 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eajnO...eature=related

*goosebumps

I was just about to embed this--

:stoked:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ldxIjZTLrks&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ldxIjZTLrks&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Endzo
02-27-2009, 08:22 PM
LOL ok this man is INSANE

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3khF1NmIWeQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3khF1NmIWeQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

shank
02-27-2009, 08:23 PM
LOL ok this man is INSANE

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3khF1NmIWeQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3khF1NmIWeQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

epic :laugh:

Endzo
02-27-2009, 08:24 PM
oops - my bad:

Benetto
02-27-2009, 08:25 PM
We just aquired the 2nd best safety in the NFL. Ed Reed being the first.

shank
02-27-2009, 08:26 PM
brian dawkins oils his biceps before games

Broncospsycho77
02-27-2009, 08:27 PM

Eh, I'd say third behind Polamalu, but it's a toss up. Still a top tier player, even with his age, IMO.

Buff
02-27-2009, 08:28 PM

Nah, Polamalu clearly has to be mentioned in that conversation... And B-dawk isn't as versatile playing the pass as those 2... But he's still an outstanding player and leader. I couldn't be more excited... He was probably the guy at the top of my wish list not counting Suggs or Haynseworth.

Benetto
02-27-2009, 08:29 PM
Nah, Polamalu clearly has to be mentioned in that conversation... And B-dawk isn't as versatile playing the pass as those 2... But he's still an outstanding player and leader. I couldn't be more excited... He was probably the guy at the top of my wish list not counting Suggs or Haynseworth.
I forgot about palu....Okay...B-dawk is top 5..

I have always loved the way he plays...Its almost unreal he's now a Bronco.

EMB6903
02-27-2009, 08:33 PM

I'd put him top 5

1Ed Reed 2Adrian Wilson 3Troy Polamalu 4Brian Dawkins 5Bob Sanders

after I saw that youtube clip that endzo posted gets me even more excited if we sign him... a veteran leader who will show a young group how to do things the RIGHT WAY a leader who this team has been lacking since Al Wilson was released.

JKcatch724
02-27-2009, 08:34 PM
brian dawkins oils his biceps before games

He's gotta let the other teams know what's up :shocked:

Philip Rivers must be shitting his pants right now...

nevcraw
02-27-2009, 08:50 PM
oops - my bad:

Holla at your boy!!! hope it's officiall. B dawg is exactly what this team needs...

Poet
02-27-2009, 08:51 PM
oops - my bad:

You goin feel it Cooley, I'm telling you, you goin feel it.

That man is scary.

Rex
02-27-2009, 08:52 PM
You goin feel it Cooley, I'm telling you, you goin feel it.

That man is scary.

I bet you naked is scarier.

Benetto
02-27-2009, 08:52 PM
Its time to get that Ring, Dawk...We want it just as bad as you do.

nevcraw
02-27-2009, 08:53 PM
If they did sign him and Rey Rey they would have to start the game 10 min. early for pre-game celebration..

Poet
02-27-2009, 08:53 PM
I bet you naked is scarier.

You goin feel it cswil, I'm telling you you goin feel it.

Benetto
02-27-2009, 08:54 PM
If we sign Bdawk and Rey, Teams will fear us again.

Hobe
02-27-2009, 08:58 PM
Posted by ESPN.com's Matt Mosley
Philadelphia Eagles (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=phi) unrestricted free agent Brian Dawkins (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=978) is reportedly on his way to visit the Broncos as we speak (http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/02/27/dawkins-will-visit-broncos/). I know that's a shock to the system for a lot of Eagles fans, but I wouldn't get to worried about the visit. Dawkins is simply trying to create a little leverage.
He'll get an offer and then he'll call Andy Reid and Joe Banner to see if they'll counter. Dawkins played too well down the stretch for the Eagles to let him go. And they don't have anyone ready to replace him.

Matt, you're the man! You have your finger on the pulse of the league. You really know what's going on!

Brian Dawkins Signs in Denver
Friday, February 27, 2009
Posted By Mike Florio 4:38 PM
After 13 years with the Eagles, safety Brian Dawkins will have a new home.

David White of the San Francisco Chronicle reports that Dawkins has agreed to terms with the Broncos.

Dawkins, 35, had said during the season that he thought he'd work out a deal to end his career in Philly. It could still happen, but only after a stint with the Broncos.

Never mind!

CHARLIEADAMSFAN
02-27-2009, 09:18 PM
i like the leadership

BigCurly1230
02-27-2009, 09:29 PM
rotoworld has this.....
Free agent S Jim Leonhard has reportedly received interest from the Eagles and Broncos in addition to the Jets.
One of those teams is going to be without Brian Dawkins by Saturday, so they'll be in the market for a replacement. The way the Jets are moving, Leonhard won't have a chance to get out of New York without signing on Saturday.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=3465
looks like we are fighting for Dawkins

SmilinAssasSin27
02-27-2009, 09:31 PM
Dawkins to Denver Likely; Lito to Jets?

RSS Friday, February 27, 2009

CSNPhilly.com

It appears Brian Dawkins is headed to Denver after all.

After a report by the San Francisco Chronicle proved premature, CSN’s Derrick Gunn did some checking.

Sources have told Gunn that Dawkins is in Denver and is expected to sign with the Broncos. It is believed to be a two-year deal.

Currently the longest tenured athlete in the city – two years ahead of Tra Thomas, who remains a free agent – Dawkins earned his seventh Pro Bowl selection last season.

The 35-year-old, 13-year veteran led the Eagles with six forced fumbles and was tied for the team lead with nine tackles for loss. Dawkins started every game and had one interception to become the Eagles’ all-time leader in games played with 183 and join Eric Allen and Bill Bradley as the franchise’s interception leaders with 34.

The Broncos could use Dawkins, the best safety in Eagles' history and a potential Hall of Famer, to help turn around a defense that finished 29th in yards allowed (374.6 per game) and 30th in points allowed (28.0 per game) last season.

The Eagles selected Dawkins in the second round of the 1996 draft.

Buckhalter to Broncos
As expected, running back Correll Buckhalter has joined the Broncos, signing a four-year deal. Buckhalter will be the front-runner for a starting job.

Last season, Denver lost seven tailbacks to injured reserve, including converted fullback Peyton Hillis (hamstring) and fellow rookie Ryan Torain (knee).

If healthy, Hillis and Torain will also compete for the starting job with Buckhalter.

Houshmandzadeh update
OK, so you’re wondering if the Eagles could possibly sign not one but two Cincinnati Bengals this off-season?

Don't count on it.

Tackle Stacy Andrews appears on the verge of signing with the Eagles, but don’t expect wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh to do the same.

Sources have told Gunn that Houshmandzadeh's agent, Kennard McGuire, called the Eagles on Friday and claimed his client was willing to sacrifice salary in order to play in Philadelphia.

But after doing their due diligence, the Eagles discovered that McGuire was actually asking more from them than he was from other teams.

Go figure.

The Eagles, who had little interest in Houshmandzadeh to begin with, told McGuire they’re not interested in the 31-year-old, eight-year veteran.

Lito to Jets?
Meanwhile, Gunn has also learned that the Eagles are poised to trade disgruntled (yet always amiable) cornerback Lito Sheppard to the Jets. The deal is pending a meeting with the Jets' position coach.

If it is completed, the Eagles would get a fifth-round pick in this year's draft and a second-, third- or fourth-round pick next year. The latter pick is contingent upon playing time.

Considine to Jags
Safety Sean Considine signed a two-year, $3 million deal with the Jacksonville Jaguars.

BigCurly1230
02-27-2009, 09:35 PM
WOW and now this from PFT.....

DAWKINS FINALLY A DONE DEAL IN DENVER
Posted by Mike Florio: Friday, February 27, 2009 9:29 PM
After some conflicting reports on whether veteran safety Brian Dawkins had done a deal with the Denver Broncos, we're told that Dawkins finally has signed a contract to join the Broncos.

Dawkins was drafted by the Eagles way back in 1996, and he spent 13 seasons in Philly.

Seeing him in anything other than an Eagles uniform will be as bizarre as seeing Brett Favre as a Jet or Mike Vick as a member of the Mean Machine.

http://blogs.nbcsports.com/home/

I just want to see him holding a Bronco jersey already!

Endzo
02-27-2009, 09:37 PM
^^^ Good to hear, I am ******* STOKED

MOtorboat
02-27-2009, 09:38 PM
I can get behind this.

Just saying.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-27-2009, 09:39 PM
that's just sick.

Timmy!
02-27-2009, 09:41 PM
:whoo:

Buff
02-27-2009, 09:43 PM
:stoked:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ldxIjZTLrks&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ldxIjZTLrks&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

One more time now that it's official... :cool:

Cheez Whiz
02-27-2009, 09:45 PM
Fox 29 News in Philadelphia is confirming the San Francisco Chronicle report that Brian Dawkins is signing with the Broncos.
Again, we're hesitant to make this official until we see contract terms, but it sounds like a done deal this time.

MOtorboat
02-27-2009, 09:45 PM
:randomfistpump:

Cheez Whiz
02-27-2009, 09:46 PM
Why are people happy? He is 35 years old. We're supposed to rebuild. You do not rebuild one of your most pressing needs with a 35 and 30 year old safety.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-27-2009, 09:46 PM
time for a new mock :dance:

MOtorboat
02-27-2009, 09:47 PM
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj67/BeDnArZ1534/Dawkins.jpg

SmilinAssasSin27
02-27-2009, 09:47 PM
Why are people happy? He is 35 years old. We're supposed to rebuild. You do not rebuild one of your most pressing needs with a 35 and 30 year old safety.

Barrett and Woody= the future

Barrett and Woody not quite ready

Dawkins teaches Barrett and Woody how to be ready

Hill hangs out just in case

Timmy!
02-27-2009, 09:48 PM
We will actually have some leadership on defense this season and a safety who can tackle. What a concept.

Cheez Whiz
02-27-2009, 09:50 PM
Barrett and Woody= the future

Barrett and Woody not quite ready

Dawkins teaches Barrett and Woody how to be ready

Hill hangs out just in case

Both of those players have yet to prove anything. Woodyard looked good as a LB, but safety is a different ball game. Barrett has promise, but is still raw.

MOtorboat
We will actually have some leadership on defense this season and a safety who can tackle. What a concept.

I don't care what his age is...he can freakin' make plays.

And...wow, I can't believe I'm going to say this because I've been so sarcastic about the possibility, but this honestly makes it possible that Ray Lewis might think about Denver.

Old, or not, the man can still play.

I can't believe I just said that...I have been so against it.

SmilinAssasSin27
Both of those players have yet to prove anything. Woodyard looked good as a LB, but safety is a different ball game. Barrett has promise, but is still raw.

basically my entire point.

MOtorboat
02-27-2009, 09:51 PM

All the more reason to sign a veteran who has, at best, two to three years left, and is one of the best in the game.

BeefStew25

Because he is a leader of men.

Cheez Whiz

Leadership doesn't stop a receiver from shredding your secondary.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-27-2009, 09:52 PM
I don't care what his age is...he can freakin' make plays.

And...wow, I can't believe I'm going to say this because I've been so sarcastic about the possibility, but this honestly makes it possible that Ray Lewis might think about Denver.

Old, or not, the man can still play.

I can't believe I just said that...I have been so against it.

I know, right? I mean...I'm all for building via the draft and don't wanna overpay for FAs, but the thought of Ray and Dawkins together? Are u serious?

BigCurly1230
http://www.nfl.com/players/briandawkins/profile?id=DAW041411

Check out these stats........
If you ask me he looks like he still has a little left in his tank!
:beer:

SmilinAssasSin27
Leadership doesn't stop a receiver from shredding your secondary.

But your CBs should.

Buff
02-27-2009, 09:53 PM

Because he's coming off a pro bowl season, he's a proven leader, he plays hurt, and is generally a pro's pro... Plus, we have to address some of our needs in free agency-- the front office has to evaluate what holes they can realistically expect to fill via the draft. We were not going to find 2 starting safeties in this year's draft... Or any other year for that matter. Once the Rams franchised Otagwe and the Dophins signed Gibril Wilson and resigned Yeremiah Bell, we basically snatched up the best remaining players on the market (arguably).

Cheez Whiz
02-27-2009, 09:53 PM
That is all anyone can give me?

"Rabble rabble rabble. He's a leader!"

John Lynch was a leader too, we still got toasted for the most part.

MOtorboat
02-27-2009, 09:55 PM

And John Lynch led this team to an AFC Championship appearance.

Next argument.

Cheez Whiz
Just wait till the contract details out. Everyone will sing a different tune.

BeefStew25

Pretend you know more than the coaches.

BigCurly1230

http://www.nfl.com/players/briandawkins/profile?id=DAW041411

peep it!

honz
02-27-2009, 09:56 PM
He did make the Pro Bowl this year...it's not like he has nothing left in the tank.

MOtorboat
Pretend you know more than the coaches.

It is fun when you think you know more than the coaches by just playing Madden, isn't it.

SmilinAssasSin27

How bout the f-ing pro bowl in 08??? Is that not enough? How bout RUNNING the deense that got to the NFCCG? What the f else do ya need? Barrett or Hill can be responsible for most of the coverage responsibilities. Dawkins will play run and cover TEs. It'll be OK.

BeefStew25
Just wait till the contract details out. Everyone will sing a different tune.

2 years 7million.

We paid one of the safeties 2.5 mill last year.

That is a bargain. The cap is fine.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-27-2009, 09:58 PM
2 years 7million.

We paid one of the safeties 2.5 mill last year.

That is a bargain. The cap is fine.

That's what ESPN said earlier today...no follow up report that I've heard confirming it though.

But it is nice how when people supported the argumentfor BD, he switched to the paycheck.

Cheez Whiz
02-27-2009, 09:58 PM
Pro Bowl argument? I also bet half, if not ALL were claiming the Pro Bowl is a popularity contest when Ryan Clady was snubbed.

AMIRITE?

BeefStew25
02-27-2009, 09:59 PM
That's what ESPN said earlier today...no follow up report that I've heard confirming it though.

Okay, well would you agree that is in the ballpark? If so, this is a deal.

BeefStew25
Pro Bowl argument? I also bet half, if not ALL were claiming the Pro Bowl is a popularity contest when Ryan Clady was snubbed.

AMIRITE?

Count to ten bro. Nothing you can do about it. Sit back and enjoy.

Buff

Read the post above that one guy le douche...

SmilinAssasSin27
i concur my fine man.

MOtorboat
02-27-2009, 10:01 PM

AMIRITE?

Yup, because the players in that game suck.

The argument exists, but it's not very strong. All-Pro teams are better judges, yes, but players in the Pro Bowl don't suck.

Pro Bowl

Cheez Whiz
02-27-2009, 10:08 PM
Brian Dawkins is a box safety, how many times have you guys bitched and moan because our safeties couldn't cover worth shit. We went out and got another John Lynch. Old, Great Tackler, but will get beat in coverage.

I am all about rebuilding, you don't rebuild a house with rotted wood.

MOtorboat
02-27-2009, 10:09 PM
Brian Dawkins is a box safety, how many times have you guys bitched and moan because our safeties couldn't cover worth shit. We went out and got another John Lynch. Old, Great Tackler, but will get beat in coverage.

I am all about rebuilding, you don't rebuild a house with rotted wood.

Not me...

And Pro Bowl players aren't "rotted wood."

Leaders are underappreciated. Who left and our defense went to the shitter? Al Wilson. Dawkins can replace that.

Cheez Whiz
02-27-2009, 10:10 PM
Where the hell did I say he sucked? I was hoping for younger safeties who were better in coverage.

MOtorboat
02-27-2009, 10:10 PM
Where the hell did I say he sucked? I was hoping for younger safeties who were better in coverage.

Why? We're in a 3-4 now...

SmilinAssasSin27
02-27-2009, 10:12 PM

And we have that in Hill and Barrett. Barrett can flat out fly dude. But some say he is a bit soft. The fast, soft guy is who ya use in coverage. The man has skills, just needs em polished.

Cheez Whiz
02-27-2009, 10:12 PM
Not me...

And Pro Bowl players aren't "rotted wood."

Leaders are underappreciated. Who left and our defense went to the shitter? Al Wilson. Dawkins can replace that.

Jason Peters was selective to the probowl. Need I say more?

MOtorboat
02-27-2009, 10:13 PM
Jason Peters was selective to the probowl. Need I say more?

No, I bow to you. Pro Bowl players suck. ESPECIALLY an 8-time Pro-Bowler. That DUDE is a serious hack!

honz
Anyone who saw him play last year knows he can still play. I'm sure he has lost a step, but he still flies around like a kamikaze head hunter, is a great blitzer for a safety, and still reads offenses with the best of them.

75 tackles, 64 solo, 3 sacks, 8 tackles for loss, 6 FF, 1 INT, and 6 PD's. Dude can still play.

MOtorboat
Dawkins on Dawkins.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qe5B8W8ZyR4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qe5B8W8ZyR4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

SmilinAssasSin27
02-27-2009, 10:16 PM
Additionally, we had a glaring need for "playmakers". Guys who get to the QB. Guys who disrupt plays. Guys who force fumbles. Guys who intimidate those coming across the middle. Can he cover like he did 10 years ago? no. Can he do the rest of those things? Hell yes he can.

Cheez Whiz
02-27-2009, 10:18 PM
No, I bow to you. Pro Bowl players suck. ESPECIALLY an 8-time Pro-Bowler. That DUDE is a serious hack!

There goes the "suck" word again. All I am saying is I prefer to go younger. We are in a state of rebuilding.

Broncospsycho77
02-27-2009, 10:18 PM
SA's right. Our D really lacked a face last year. Champ was there, but injuries and one of the worst lines in NFL history pretty much meant nothing. Is Dawkins the answer? I can't say, but it's fo sho a step in the right direction towards a solution.

MOtorboat
02-27-2009, 10:19 PM
There goes the "suck" word again. All I am saying is I prefer to go younger. We are in a state of rebuilding.

No, actually, we're not. This is the NFL, if you do it right, there is no rebuilding.

Our offense is ready for a Championship. The challenge is putting the defense at that spot too.

Dawkins is a perfect fit.

Cheez Whiz
02-27-2009, 10:21 PM
Additionally, we had a glaring need for "playmakers". Guys who get to the QB. Guys who disrupt plays. Guys who force fumbles. Guys who intimidate those coming across the middle. Can he cover like he did 10 years ago? no. Can he do the rest of those things? Hell yes he can.

:beer: I want to know what we they are tossing their money into.

If it's just for a motivator, I believe they can hire one off the streets. I hear companies bring in private motivators all the time.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-27-2009, 10:23 PM

If it's just for a motivator, I believe they can hire one off the streets. I hear companies bring in private motivators all the time.

He's more thn that. Dude is a flat out stud and a winner..something we've sorely been lacking.

MOtorboat
02-27-2009, 10:23 PM

You're not ******* serious are you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxPyRSgwBc0

Cheez Whiz
02-27-2009, 10:25 PM
No, actually, we're not. This is the NFL, if you do it right, there is no rebuilding.

Our offense is ready for a Championship. The challenge is putting the defense at that spot too.

Dawkins is a perfect fit.

I believe it was Xanders who said we were in a state of rebuilding. He may not have said those exact words, but we know what he meant.

MOtorboat
02-27-2009, 10:26 PM
I believe it was Xanders who said we were in a state of rebuilding. He may not have said those exact words, but we know what he meant.

Clearly, you didn't infer much of anything from that...

Cheez Whiz
02-27-2009, 10:28 PM
You're not ******* serious are you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxPyRSgwBc0

Obviously hiring someone from a private firm to motivate was a joke, but you knew that.

MOtorboat
02-27-2009, 10:29 PM
Obviously hiring someone from a private firm to motivate was a joke, but you knew that.

No, I didn't know that...

SmilinAssasSin27
02-27-2009, 10:30 PM
yes you did

JKcatch724
02-27-2009, 10:41 PM
Anybody complaining about bringing in Dawkins is off their effin rocker. There is a serious lack of S in this draft, and he's the best we could've got BY FAR in FA. For a decent deal to boot. No, he's not in his prime, but the dude can still play. IMO he's better than Lynch when we brought him in.

Denver doesn't want to rebuild. You don't sign Brian Dawkins to rebuild. You sign him to win now. Like MO said, in the NFL you don't have to rebuild if you do it right. Dawkins is a GIANT step to making this D respectable enough to field a contender next year.

DenBronx
02-27-2009, 10:45 PM
3.5 a year for dawkins last two years playing at a probowl level? half of what dre bly was making?

i'll take it.

guess alot of guys would rather have manuel and mcree back?

on the ray lewis rumor. i didnt want him at first. however with the addition of dawkins it might be a great move. both guys are older but wow, i dont think we would be seeing any more b-boy pre mature celebrations from our girl scout defense we had last year. dawkins and lewis would have bitch slapped winborn and webster for that.

BigCurly1230
02-27-2009, 10:45 PM
Anybody complaining about bringing in Dawkins is off their effin rocker. There is a serious lack of S in this draft, and he's the best we could've got BY FAR in FA. For a decent deal to boot. No, he's not in his prime, but the dude can still play. IMO he's better than Lynch when we brought him in.

Denver doesn't want to rebuild. You don't sign Brian Dawkins to rebuild. You sign him to win now. Like MO said, in the NFL you don't have to rebuild if you do it right. Dawkins is a GIANT step to making this D respectable enough to field a contender next year.

A vet like Dawkins would not want to come here if we were "rebuilding"
He is here to get a ring!
:salute:

MOtorboat
02-27-2009, 10:46 PM

DE - Kenny Peterson
NT - Ron Brace
DE - Marcus Thomas
OLB - Jarvis Moss
ILB - Rey Maualuga
ILB - Ray Lewis
OLB - D.J. Williams
CB - Champ Bailey
SS - Brian Dawkins
FS - Renaldo Hill
CB - Philip Buchanan

Tell me that defense can't win, AND tell me that's not feasible.

underrated29
02-27-2009, 10:49 PM
I didnt know that darren sharper was a free agent. I would really like him.. Especially over hill- i dont even know anything about that guy.

Sharper is a coverage S all the way. how many Ints and pick 6's does that guy have. Man.

BigCurly1230
02-27-2009, 10:49 PM
DE - Kenny Peterson
NT - Ron Brace
DE - Marcus Thomas
OLB - Jarvis Moss
ILB - Rey Maualuga
ILB - Ray Lewis
OLB - D.J. Williams
CB - Champ Bailey
SS - Brian Dawkins
FS - Renaldo Hill
CB - Philip Buchanan

I like what I see in everything above!
Especially Philip Buchanan!
I Want him to play opposite champ!
Jack MOFO Williams as nickel

MOtorboat
02-27-2009, 10:50 PM
I like what I see in everything above!
Especially Philip Buchanan!
I Want him to play opposite champ!
Jack MOFO Williams as nickel

You could replace Tim Crowder for Peterson, imo...

underrated29
02-27-2009, 10:51 PM
DE - Kenny Peterson
NT - Ron Brace
DE - Marcus Thomas
OLB - Jarvis Moss
ILB - Rey Maualuga
ILB - Ray Lewis
OLB - D.J. Williams
CB - Champ Bailey
SS - Brian Dawkins
FS - Renaldo Hill
CB - Philip Buchanan

That would be a dam good step, but i am just not sure we are lucky enough to land both lewis and buchanan....I know its easily within the realm of possibility, cap wise and everything else. But we just never seem lucky enough to have those things happen.....

PS- I wouldnt mind forgoing Brace for Rodgers, yeah, brace would be younger and cheaper, but rodgers is proven and he is a beast

MOtorboat
02-27-2009, 10:52 PM
That would be a dam good step, but i am just not sure we are lucky enough to land both lewis and buchanan....I know its easily within the realm of possibility, cap wise and everything else. But we just never seem lucky enough to have those things happen.....

PS- I wouldnt mind forgoing Brace for Rodgers, yeah, brace would be younger and cheaper, but rodgers is proven and he is a beast

If we can land Ray Lewis, I honestly, don't give a crap about who the CB is, especially with Champ on the other side.

Fan in Exile
02-27-2009, 10:53 PM
I really think that Dawkins was signed to start and that Hill was signed for the big nickle package that Nolan runs. I think that Barret is going to end up starting as the FS.

BigCurly1230
02-27-2009, 10:55 PM
If we can land Ray Lewis, I honestly, don't give a crap about who the CB is, especially with Champ on the other side.

With a monster front 7, it doesn't matter who our corners are!

TXBRONC
02-27-2009, 11:02 PM
3.5 a year for dawkins last two years playing at a probowl level? half of what dre bly was making?

i'll take it.

guess alot of guys would rather have manuel and mcree back?

on the ray lewis rumor. i didnt want him at first. however with the addition of dawkins it might be a great move. both guys are older but wow, i dont think we would be seeing any more b-boy pre mature celebrations from our girl scout defense we had last year. dawkins and lewis would have bitch slapped winborn and webster for that.

The fact that Dawkins has continue to play at a pro bowl level helps alleviate some my concerns about his age.

JKcatch724
02-27-2009, 11:07 PM
I've always hated Ray Lewis as a person and would've said no to sign him before, but after signing Dawkins all I can think about is how mean our defense would be. At least for a year or two... landing Dawkins may have helped in the Ray sweepstakes, but I really doubt it will happen

BigCurly1230
02-27-2009, 11:44 PM
Philadelphia Eagles
star safety Brian Dawkins will finish his career at the Denver Broncos.

According to reports, Dawkins and the Broncos have agreed to terms on a contract that will be formally announced on Saturday.

Dawkins was drafted by the Philadelphia Eagles straight out of college in the 1996 NFL Draft. In that time he has been picked in the Pro Bowl seven times, and was made a member of the Philadelphia Eagles 75th Anniversary Team and 20/20 Club.

Speculation is also mounting that Ray Lewis may also follow Dawkins to the Broncos. Both would offer a much needed boost the teams defensive lineup

http://www.inquisitr.com/18961/eagles-star-brian-dawkins-heading-to-the-denver-broncos/

Music to my ears!

Broncospsycho77
02-27-2009, 11:47 PM
Speculation is also mounting that Ray Lewis may also follow Dawkins to the Broncos. Both would offer a much needed boost the teams defensive lineup

http://www.inquisitr.com/18961/eagles-star-brian-dawkins-heading-to-the-denver-broncos/

Music to my ears!

:spitwater:

That's the most concrete bit we've heard on Lewis thus far.

EMB6903
02-27-2009, 11:50 PM
with the right price, Ill take Ray lewis...but I assume we could get canty for the same price as what Lewis is asking for, which one would you take?

honz
02-27-2009, 11:53 PM
Neither Schefter nor anyone at ESPN have confirmed the Dawkins signing. I'm starting to think Florio jumped the gun.

nevcraw
02-27-2009, 11:55 PM
Neither Schefter nor anyone at ESPN have confirmed the Dawkins signing. I'm starting to think Florio jumped the gun.

and nevcraw for making Dawkins his adopted bronco..

Northman
02-27-2009, 11:57 PM
Thats ok Nev, keep up the positive mojo!

underrated29
02-28-2009, 12:00 AM
it may not be official yet, but its official. the guy wouldnt have agreed in principal and seen all these reports saying he did if he wasnt.ummmmm

I confused myself...He will be a bronco.

BroncoWave
02-28-2009, 12:36 AM
It was so funny how I found out. There is a guy on my floor who is a die-hard Eagles fan and Dawkins is his favorite player. He just randomly came up to me and punched me in the arm and I was like WTF dude? Then someone told me what happend and that just made my day. I've been rubbing it in ever since. If we get Ray Lewis too, I will shit myself. That will turn us into instant Super Bowl contenders this season.

EMB6903
02-28-2009, 12:39 AM
It was so funny how I found out. There is a guy on my floor who is a die-hard Eagles fan and Dawkins is his favorite player. He just randomly came up to me and punched me in the arm and I was like WTF dude? Then someone told me what happend and that just made my day. I've been rubbing it in ever since. If we get Ray Lewis too, I will shit myself. That will turn us into instant Super Bowl contenders this season.

Might make us into a 9 win season (at best)..... far from Superbowl Contenders though....In my opinion Denver still has a good 2 years or so before even mentioning that word. Just me though

SmilinAssasSin27
02-28-2009, 12:42 AM
Might make us into a 9 win season (at best)..... far from Superbowl Contenders though....In my opinion Denver still has a good 2 years or so before even mentioning that word. Just me though

IF we get a good CB and Ray to go with Dawkins and our offense...we're in the conversation.

EMB6903
02-28-2009, 12:44 AM
IF we get a good CB and Ray to go with Dawkins and our offense...we're in the conversation.

I disagree, chemistry is huge.... I dont think a few FA signings would put us into the conversation... esspecially playing the afc north and nfc east

Lonestar
02-28-2009, 12:45 AM

Unless we also come up with a really good NT in the draft that can step in and play lights out and the same with DEs and maybe even OLBs I think your correct..

Everyone seems to forget this is going to be a brand new Defense to almost everyone on it.. and at the very least none of them will have played next tot eh guy they will be starting next to them at all..

EMB6903
02-28-2009, 12:47 AM
Unless we also come up with a really good NT in the draft that can step in and play lights out and the same with DEs and maybe even OLBs I think your correct..

Everyone seems to forget this is going to be a brand new Defense to almost everyone on it.. and at the very least none of them will have played next tot eh guy they will be starting next to them at all..

Couldnt have said it any better.....

DenBronx
02-28-2009, 12:48 AM

well dawkins and lewis have 2-3 good years left. better get it done before then.

still, our d would be instantly nasty. from the get go with both of those guys. however, its reported that dj is moving inside and we are near a signing for andra davis from cleveland who also plays the inside. that would leave either ray lewis or drafting a ilb in round 1 out of the picture. otherwise the adra davis signing is a total waste because larsen is a very capable backup ilb.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-28-2009, 12:49 AM
I disagree, chemistry is huge.... I dont think a few FA signings would put us into the conversation... esspecially playing the afc north and nfc east

Our offense alone got us to 8-8. Regardlss of chemistry, the talent increase alone will make the D better. Our schedule won't be easy, but w/ a tougher mentality, we should go 5-1 in the division. I like our chances after that...assuming we get those pieces.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-28-2009, 12:49 AM
well dawkins and lewis have 2-3 good years left. better get it done before then.

still, our d would be instantly nasty. from the get go with both of those guys. however, its reported that dj is moving inside and we are near a signing for andra davis from cleveland who also plays the inside. that would leave either ray lewis or drafting a ilb in round 1 out of the picture. otherwise the adra davis signing is a total waste because larsen is a very capable backup ilb.

I've also heard that DJ COULD stay outside.

EMB6903
02-28-2009, 01:16 AM
Our offense alone got us to 8-8. Regardlss of chemistry, the talent increase alone will make the D better. Our schedule won't be easy, but w/ a tougher mentality, we should go 5-1 in the division. I like our chances after that...assuming we get those pieces.

as horrible as our defense was this year, and yes it was ridiculous... an absolute joke.... it didnt help that our offense put the defense in ridiculous situations inside our own 30 yard line.

IMO I dont think our offense is mature enough to carry us that far. Maybe a playoff win but Superbowl contenders?

I dont think so. It would be nice I just do not see it.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-28-2009, 01:19 AM
Anything can happen. The Cardinals just took Pittsburgh to the brink. The Rams won the SB in 1999. The Bears and Saints played in the NFCCG just 2 years ago. Just sayin...it's not out of the realm of possibility.

EMB6903
02-28-2009, 01:28 AM
that was with a veteran QB who has been there before.... Cutler hasnt played a playoff game not even a bowl game..... I think its a different situation. I see this team being 8-8 at best. A learning curve for both the offense and the defense..... this team is built to be a contender in 2010 or so.... I cant imagine a young team like this making a run in the playoffs... do you really see a defense that has so little chemistry along with a new system being that productive?

we will see shadows of production on the defensive side of the ball next year... but to count on rookies and a bunch of FA's to make this defense better? I dont see it

we will see how it plays out in 2009, but a rookie head coad, rookie GM, along with a new system and a ton of new personel?

please Denver fans dont expect to make a deep run in the playoffs otherwise you will be disappointed.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-28-2009, 01:31 AM
I'm not expecting it, but it is possible w/ the right aditions.

You chose to ignore my 1999 Ram reference. New QB. New Faulk. New MLB. rookie WR. etc. they did OK w/o the chemistry.

EMB6903
02-28-2009, 01:40 AM
I'm not expecting it, but it is possible w/ the right aditions.

You chose to ignore my 1999 Ram reference. New QB. New Faulk. New MLB. rookie WR. etc. they did OK w/o the chemistry.

Was Dick Vermeil a rookie head coach, along with the GM being a rookie?

were they bringing in a completely new defensive scheme?

is there anybody on the Broncos roster that is as big of a threat as Marshall Faulk was in 1999?

you are right though it can happen, how rare is that though? what are the chances?

when it comes to next year Im hoping for the best but expecting the worst

Lonestar
02-28-2009, 01:41 AM
that was with a veteran QB who has been there before.... Cutler hasnt played a playoff game not even a bowl game..... I think its a different situation. I see this team being 8-8 at best. A learning curve for both the offense and the defense..... this team is built to be a contender in 2010 or so.... I cant imagine a young team like this making a run in the playoffs... do you really see a defense that has so little chemistry along with a new system being that productive?

we will see shadows of production on the defensive side of the ball next year... but to count on rookies and a bunch of FA's to make this defense better? I dont see it

we will see how it plays out in 2009, but a rookie head coad, rookie GM, along with a new system and a ton of new personel?

please Denver fans dont expect to make a deep run in the playoffs otherwise you will be disappointed.

I believe the Defense will be better but the schedule harder so that pretty much comes out a wash.. The offense while they have played together before will also have a new scheme/system so there is a learning curve there also..

Plus half of those games against the opposition will be on the east coast.. Where under mikey at least we fared poorly.. under Mc Kid I do not know.

But I do remember reading somewhere that during the regular season last year only of the West coast teams that played on the east coast there was only two wins by them. So unless he has some magic there seems to be 4 loses up front..

SmilinAssasSin27
02-28-2009, 01:44 AM
was Dick Vermeil a rookie head coach, along with the GM being a rookie?

is there anybody on the Broncos roster that is as big of a threat as Marshall Faulk was in 1999?

you are right though it can happen, how rare is that though? what are the chances?

when it comes to next year Im hoping for the best but expecting the worst

Vermeil was perceived as a soft crybaby who was in his second year back (IIRC) after a 15 year hiatus. Not an ideal situation from a fan's POV.

Again, I expect less...but we CAN win w/ Champ, Ray, Dawkins, Greer/Buchanon, DJ, Davis and some youth to fill in the holes.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-28-2009, 01:45 AM
I believe the Defense will be better but the schedule harder so that pretty much comes out a wash.. The offense while they have played together before will also have a new scheme/system so there is a learning curve there also..

Plus half of those games against the opposition will be on the east coast.. Where under mikey at least we fared poorly.. under Mc Kid I do not know.

But I do remember reading somewhere that during the regular season last year only of the West coast teams that played on the east coast there was only two wins by them. So unless he has some magic there seems to be 4 loses up front..

We get Pitt, Dallas, NYG and Clev at home.

On the road for Philly, Wash, Cincy and BMore.

As it stands...Philly and Bmore are taking some hits w/ personnel.

Lonestar
02-28-2009, 01:49 AM
We get Pitt, Dallas, NYG and Clev at home.

On the road for Philly, Wash, Cincy and BMore.

As it stands...Philly and Bmore are taking some hits w/ personnel.

I did not know the schedule was out.. even though Pitt and NYG at home still does not mean much as home field advantage went away when Mile High was tore down..

Yes I know anything can happen but I'll anticipate the worst and hope for the best.. and I guess it will come out in the middle somewhere..

SmilinAssasSin27
02-28-2009, 01:51 AM
I did not know the schedule was out.. even though Pitt and NYG at home still does not mean much as home field advantage went away when Mile High was tore down..

Yes I know anything can happen but I'll anticipate the worst and hope for the best.. and I guess it will come out in the middle somewhere..

schedule isn't out. Opponents have been determined since 2001. It's on an 8 year rotation basis so that evey team hosts and visits every other team in the league at least once during the cycle.

Lonestar
02-28-2009, 02:10 AM
schedule isn't out. Opponents have been determined since 2001. It's on an 8 year rotation basis so that evey team hosts and visits every other team in the league at least once during the cycle.

I realized the rotation, but did not know who was playing where yet.. Thanks for the info..

still going east does not bode well for us.. as does home field advantage.. Both of those should take a ear or so to turn around.. Now if we could get rid of the wine and cheese fair weather fan crowd

Cugel
02-28-2009, 01:38 PM
The signing of Andra Davis means that Ray Lewis is NOT coming to town. So forget that one. The Broncos will probably draft an ILB if Brian Cushing is available, or else a DE like Tyson Jackson.

Right now, OLB is complete speculation since nobody knows if Dumervil &/or Moss can learn to back-pedal well enough and cover anybody on first & second down, which your OLB needs to be able to do.

With Andra Davis and DJ moving inside they are set there, and bringing in another LB via the draft will strengthen the core here too.

BUT the DL is a HUGE problem. The guys they're looking at like Wright are all backups and role players at best. NOBODY on the Broncos DL will be making the pro-bowl, or will even be in the top 1/2 of DL starters in the NFL this season.

That's a big and ongoing problem that will take years to fix. As the Giants and Steelers just proved the last 2 years, you need ELITE pass-rushing from your DL in a 4-3 & LBs in a 3-4.

The Broncos do NOT have an elite NT and until they get one, their 3-4 defense will give up HUGE yards just like it did when they tried the 3-4 against the Patriots last season.

I'm not criticizing the moves they've made so far which have probably helped the team, especially at safety where Dawkins is a HUGE step up in talent over McCRee & Manuel. But, SB contender?

There's a place for enthusiasm in the pre-season, but really! The Broncos defense is LIGHT-YEARS away from being able to support a SB challenge! They would have to improve a LOT just to be MEDIOCRE!

I'm hoping for mediocrity this season. Given the horrible schedule where they play almost all the top teams in the NFL an 8-8 season would be a great step forward and would really propel the team to a SB contender in 2010.

That's the earliest it could happen IMO.

Northman
02-28-2009, 01:41 PM
We went 8-8 last year. Im expecting at least 10-6.

BeefStew25
02-28-2009, 01:43 PM

If our offense stays the same (and Cutty limits some turnovers) we should go 10-6, mainly because our defense could not have gotten any worse.

xzn
02-28-2009, 01:43 PM

We could play a lot better than last year and finish 8-8 due to the tough schedule.

But I hope you're right! :cool:

I'm an OPTIMIST:D

Northman
02-28-2009, 01:44 PM
If our offense stays the same (and Cutty limits some turnovers) we should go 10-6, mainly because our defense could not have gotten any worse.

Thats what im thinking too. Give us some healthy backs and at least a 15th to 17th ranked defense and its plausible. I would be disappointed if we finished anything worse than that.

turftoad
02-28-2009, 01:45 PM
We'll have the toughest schedule in the league next year. We'll have to be a lot better to match the 8-8 from last year.

Northman
02-28-2009, 01:46 PM
We'll have the toughest schedule in the league next year. We'll have to be a lot better to match the 8-8 from last year.

But thats on paper, that doesnt always translate on the field. Last year was proof of that.

turftoad
02-28-2009, 01:47 PM
But thats on paper, that doesnt always translate on the field. Last year was proof of that.

Agreed. But........ you still have to take it into consideration.

BeefStew25
02-28-2009, 01:48 PM
We could play a lot better than last year and finish 8-8 due to the tough schedule.

But I hope you're right! :cool:

I'm an OPTIMIST:D

Bah.

When you looked at our schedule last year, I bet you pretty much called the Miami game a win, right?

Last seasons records have little bearing on this year, IMO.