PDA

View Full Version : Andra Davis

SmilinAssasSin27
02-27-2009, 03:32 PM
Did we just sign Andra Davis, ILB, Cleveland Browns?

underrated29
02-27-2009, 03:34 PM
I dont know, how did you know?

dogfish
02-27-2009, 03:43 PM
probably-- it's about par for the course. . . . :laugh:

elsid13
02-27-2009, 04:11 PM
If we did it better be for backup role.

bcbronc
02-27-2009, 04:17 PM
if so, I hope his helmet falls off every 3rd play. it would be fitting.

TXBRONC
02-27-2009, 04:20 PM
I've kept my television on NFLN and they haven't said anything about us siging Andra Davis.

broncofaninfla
02-27-2009, 04:23 PM
I pray we haven't. It would makes sense though judging by the other signings.

Broncospsycho77
02-27-2009, 04:24 PM
No thanks. We've had our share of "depth" linebackers.

silkamilkamonico
02-27-2009, 04:49 PM
Davis would be a better starter than any other LB Denver can get this draft/offseason sans Ray Lewis. Not to mention an immediate upgrade over who we had last year.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-27-2009, 04:52 PM
I'd also prefer Kevin Burnett, but I still think Davis could be a good transition LB til we get the youth at that spot.

dogfish
02-27-2009, 05:00 PM
davis is a drag-down tackler with limited athleticism and declining skills. . . he's instinctive and reliable, but not an impact player in any way, shape or form. . . he's a guy that you'll see his stats at the end of the year and think he played really well because he has 100+ tackles-- nevermind the fact that he was at the heart of your 25th ranked run defense. . .

plus-- he has experience in the 3-4 and will come cheap. . .

minus-- he isn't very good, and the most likely impact of signing him is that in the end it will probably keep a younger, better player off the field. . . . if people want to think this guy is significantly better than the likes of jamie winborn, IMO they're kidding themselves. . .

SmilinAssasSin27
02-27-2009, 05:02 PM
Eagles safety Brian Dawkins, Browns linebacker Andra Davis and Dolphins safety Reynaldo Hill are taking free-agent visits with Denver, sources told FOXSports.com.

Dawkins is a seven-time Pro Bowl selection who was a mainstay in Philadelphia's defense since being drafted in 1996. A combination of Dawkins' age (he turns 36 in October) and contract demands could lead to his departure from the Eagles.

Davis has started 83 of a possible 96 games the past six seasons in Cleveland at inside linebacker. With the Broncos switching to a 3-4 defense, Davis would be considered a strong candidate to start if signed.

Hill was a three-year starter with the Dolphins but finds himself the odd man out with the franchise having added veteran Gibril Wilson and re-signing Yeremiah Bell. A former starter in Arizona and Oakland, Hill also has experience playing in a 3-4 scheme.

FOXSports.com reported that running backs Correll Buckhalter (Philadelphia) and J.J. Arrington (Arizona) also are meeting with Broncos officials today and are expected to sign as free agents.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-27-2009, 05:07 PM
http://i585.photobucket.com/albums/ss291/atwater271/ad.jpghttp://i585.photobucket.com/albums/ss291/atwater271/ad4.jpg

SmilinAssasSin27
02-27-2009, 05:08 PM
http://i585.photobucket.com/albums/ss291/atwater271/ad2.jpg

http://i585.photobucket.com/albums/ss291/atwater271/ad3.jpg

This alone is closer to the QB than ANY of our LBs got in 2008.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-27-2009, 05:09 PM
http://i585.photobucket.com/albums/ss291/atwater271/rh2.jpg

SmilinAssasSin27
02-27-2009, 05:09 PM
http://i585.photobucket.com/albums/ss291/atwater271/rh.jpg

http://i585.photobucket.com/albums/ss291/atwater271/rh3.jpg

Dortoh
02-27-2009, 05:11 PM
Hill = Macree color me unimpressed

elsid13
02-27-2009, 05:13 PM
If were going to sign guys wouldn't it be nice if they were on the right side of 30?

elsid13
02-27-2009, 05:14 PM

PFT is reporting that we just signed Dawkins. Not great signing for a player on down side of his career.

dogfish
02-27-2009, 05:15 PM

yep-- the guy is leftovers from a team that just upgraded the position, just like mccree was. . .

bcbronc
02-27-2009, 05:16 PM
PFT is reporting that we just signed Dawkins. Not great signing for a player on down side of his career.

fills two HUGE holes though: SS and leadership.

a stop-gap no doubt, but one that brings some intangibles that this defense hasn't had since Big Al had to go away.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-27-2009, 05:16 PM
I doubt he comes here anyways. Our starting Ss will be Barrett and Dawkins.

Dortoh
02-27-2009, 05:18 PM

Depending on the contract I like that signing. Vet leadership and a great attitude. Then again like you I wonder what is left in the tank. He rejected a 1 year offer from his former team.....there must be a reason they refused to go more then 1 year no?

elsid13
02-27-2009, 05:19 PM
fills two HUGE holes though: SS and leadership.

a stop-gap no doubt, but one that brings some intangibles that this defense hasn't had since Big Al had to go away.

It hard to show leadership when the coaches are force to pull you for the field on passing downs because you can not cover over the top due to age.

elsid13
02-27-2009, 05:20 PM
Depending on the contract I like that signing. Vet leadership and a great attitude. Then again like you I wonder what is left in the tank. He rejected a 1 year offer from his former team.....there must be a reason they refused to go more then 1 year no?

because at this point of his career he is in the box safety and doesn't help a team pass defense. But I am sure our ESPiN Pro Scouting Director has enough tape to ensure that not the case.

honz
02-27-2009, 05:28 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/fa?playerId=3669

Davis has been a staple of the Browns' organization and is a high-character, competitive player who brings excellent leadership. He has also has been a major contributor on sub-par defenses year after year and his on-the-field performance does not match his intangibles. He is smart player who gets his teammates aligned and is quick to read the play, but his body often doesn't react and respond as quickly as his mind. He is a fearless player and never hesitates to insert versus the run or lay into a receiver coming across the middle. However, Davis isn't agile, quick or fast enough to make enough impact plays and upper-tier, pass-catching running backs and tight ends are more than he can handle. He also has marginal size when taking on centers or guards in the run game and can be engulfed. He is too slow to shed and has average overall take-on power, especially as the game goes on because he is an older player with stamina concerns. There is still a place for Davis in the league, but the arrow is pointing down on his career and he is just good enough to get you beat as a starter.

Medford Bronco
02-27-2009, 05:30 PM
Davis would be a better starter than any other LB Denver can get this draft/offseason sans Ray Lewis. Not to mention an immediate upgrade over who we had last year.

You mean he would not to the ole Nate Webster and Jamie Winborn :lol:

Simple Jaded
02-27-2009, 05:44 PM
So far Doogie's personnel ideas aren't any better than the last guy.......

SmilinAssasSin27
02-27-2009, 05:48 PM
They are better. Not great so far, but they are definitely better.

bcbronc
02-27-2009, 05:54 PM
They are better. Not great so far, but they are definitely better.

are they?

is Buck really an upgrade on Pittman?

Hill on McCree?

Gaffrey on DJack?

JJ on Tatum?

other than Dawkins, pretty lateral imo.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-27-2009, 05:57 PM
are they?

is Buck really an upgrade on Pittman? likely a wash

Hill on McCree? HELL YES!!

Gaffrey on DJack? YES

JJ on Tatum? Dude...we had Tatum for 1 week and he doesn't return kicks or catch the ball.

See orange

bcbronc
02-27-2009, 05:58 PM
See orange

let's hope your right.

:beer:

Magnificent Seven
02-27-2009, 06:26 PM
Broncos working to close out several deals.

The Denver Broncos are busy reconstructing the team with a wild first day in free agency.

The team is in the finals stages of signing safety Renaldo Hill from Miami and receiver Jabar Gaffney from New England. The contracts are not done yet, but there aren't expected to be any hang-ups in finalizing the deals.

The San Francisco Chronicle has reported that the team has agreed to terms with Philadelphia safety Brian Dawkins and that a press conference will be held Saturday. However, a source close to the situation said no press conference has been set. Dawkins could be headed to Denver but the deal is not done yet.

Still, it is clear that the Broncos are working hard at the beginning of the Josh McDaniels era. The team has already signed running backs Correll Buckhalter and J.J. Arrington and long-snapper Lonie Paxton. The team is also planning to visit with Cleveland linebacker Andra Davis who would fit in the team's new 3-4 system.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest/0-3-1656/Broncos-working-to-close-out-several-deals.html

WARHORSE
02-27-2009, 06:44 PM
Dawkins would be a huge upgrade over the M & M brothers.

You'll see.

Cugel
02-27-2009, 06:54 PM
are they?

is Buck really an upgrade on Pittman?

Hill on McCree?

Gaffrey on DJack?

JJ on Tatum?

Since Pittman hardly played at all last year, I'd have to say "yes." :coffee:

bcbronc
02-27-2009, 06:55 PM
Since Pittman hardly played at all last year, I'd have to say "yes." :coffee:

how many games has Buck played for us so far? :confused:

Cugel
02-27-2009, 06:56 PM
Dawkins would be a huge upgrade over the M & M brothers.

You'll see.

Dawkins is on the downside of his career, but he was a pro-bowl athlete. Pigs will fly before Marquand Manuel or Marlon McCree go to a pro-bowl!

Cugel
02-27-2009, 06:57 PM
how many games has Buck played for us so far? :confused:

He isn't on the DL is he? I'm guessing he'll have more of an impact than Pittman. He'd have to try hard to have less. :coffee:

Slick
02-27-2009, 06:58 PM
Did Davis play inside in Cleveland's 3-4?

SmilinAssasSin27
I'll give Pittman his due...he was great for us in 08 til he giot hurt. He was a pleasen surprise. That being said, I've always liked Correll. I lived an hour from Philly for 7 years and always thought this dude was a quality piece to the team.

lex

I dont know. Im not ready to dismiss Larsen as a guy who can help us, especially in a 3-4.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-27-2009, 07:01 PM

yes. Fans loved him. Had a rough 08, but he was a fan favorite and made his fair share of plays. If healthy, he's better than Niko, Bos, Winborn and Webster.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-27-2009, 07:02 PM
I dont know. Im not ready to dismiss Larsen as a guy who can help us, especially in a 3-4.

I too like Larsen, but he is a rook and he is coming off of an injury. Davis will likely get a deal that won't hurt us in the pocketbook if Larsen excels and Davis becomes expendable.

dogfish
02-27-2009, 07:04 PM

yes-- he's like the ian gold of 3-4 ILBs. . . . :eek:

:lol:

SmilinAssasSin27
02-27-2009, 07:05 PM
nah...he's bulked up. He's at least 250 according to the local radio guys

dogfish
02-27-2009, 07:18 PM
nah...he's bulked up. He's at least 250 according to the local radio guys

i was referring more to his asstacular, six-yards-down-the-field drag down tackling and his complete lack of impact plays more than his size. . . .

Endzo
02-27-2009, 08:08 PM
Broncos, LB Davis near deal

After quickly patching a couple small holes on offense with career backups who project as starters, the Broncos have gone about overhauling their defense with proven starters.

The Broncos are engaged in serious negotiations with free-agent linebacker Andra Davis, according to a source close to negotiations. Discussions have focused on a two- or three-year deal.

A six-year starter in Cleveland, Davis, 30, is an inside linebacker from a 3-4 system, who was second on the Browns with 90 tackles last season and has averaged 103 tackles the past six seasons.

The Broncos also brought in starting safeties Brian Dawkins of Philadelphia and Miami's Renaldo Hill for visits today.

Dawkins, Hill and Davis would headline the Broncos' free-agent group that also includes running backs Correll Buckhalter and J.J. Arrington, receiver Jabar Gaffney and longsnapper Lonie Paxton. Buckhalter, Arrington and Gaffney already have signed four-year deals while the Broncos agreed to a five-year contract with Paxton.

Dawkins, 35, is a seven-time Pro Bowler while playing his entire 13-year career in Philadelphia.

Should Dawkins, Davis and Hill sign, the Broncos would continue scouring the free-agent pool for a starting right cornerback, nosetackle, at least one defensive end and possibly a backup quarterback.

Endzo
02-27-2009, 08:08 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11802687

SmilinAssasSin27
02-27-2009, 08:09 PM
that is a lot of FAs.

Broncospsycho77
02-27-2009, 08:10 PM
Broncos, LB Davis near deal
By Mike Klis
The Denver PostAfter quickly patching a couple small holes on offense with career backups who project as starters, the Broncos have gone about overhauling their defense with proven starters.

The Broncos are engaged in serious negotiations with free-agent linebacker Andra Davis, according to a source close to negotiations. Discussions have focused on a two- or three-year deal.

A six-year starter in Cleveland, Davis, 30, is an inside linebacker from a 3-4 system, who was second on the Browns with 90 tackles last season and has averaged 103 tackles the past six seasons.

The Broncos also brought in starting safeties Brian Dawkins of Philadelphia and Miami's Renaldo Hill for visits today.

Dawkins, Hill and Davis would headline the Broncos' free-agent group that also includes running backs Correll Buckhalter and J.J. Arrington, receiver Jabar Gaffney and longsnapper Lonie Paxton. Buckhalter, Arrington and Gaffney already have signed four-year deals while the Broncos agreed to a five-year contract with Paxton.

Dawkins, 35, is a seven-time Pro Bowler while playing his entire 13-year career in Philadelphia.

Should Dawkins, Davis and Hill sign, the Broncos would continue scouring the free-agent pool for a starting right cornerback, nosetackle, at least one defensive end and possibly a backup quarterback.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11802687

shank
02-27-2009, 08:11 PM
that is a lot of FAs.

yet no help on the DL :whoknows:

SmilinAssasSin27
02-27-2009, 08:12 PM
Better numbers than I thought he had in 08. fish says he is Ian Gold. I remember the Browns fans lovig him (i live 1 hour away from clev). Anyways...hopefully the scheme Nolan runs will put him in a position to attack.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-27-2009, 08:13 PM
yet no help on the DL :whoknows:

DRAFT...Is Tyson Jackson now a likely scenario???

You all would lose your shit while I laugh for days.

Italianmobstr7
02-27-2009, 08:27 PM
I love me some Andre Davis. He makes big plays here and there, and he's a solid tackler. Plus, he knows the 3-4. I'm hoping for this signing. Everyone here saying he's "backup material only" has no idea what they're talking about.

JKcatch724
02-27-2009, 08:44 PM

McShay's got us taking him in his latest mock:

12. Denver Broncos (8-8): Tyson Jackson, DE, LSU

The Broncos need to bulk up along the front in order to make a smooth transition to the 3-4 scheme. They could use this pick on a linebacker, but Jackson is the only elite five-technique in this draft class.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft09/insider/columns/story?columnist=mcshay_todd&id=3939151&action=upsell&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnfl %2fdraft09%2finsider%2fcolumns%2fstory%3fcolumnist %3dmcshay_todd%26id%3d3939151

If we don't pick up a solid DL in free agency, it'll be Jackson or Everette Brown, IMO.

elsid13
02-27-2009, 08:54 PM
I guess Larson isn't getting a shot.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-27-2009, 09:34 PM
Well...some have said he may be a prospect as the "non-pass rushing OLB". I'm sure he'll get his chance somewhere. Hard workers go a long way in BB type systems. Who knows...maybe DJ stays outside.

tomjonesrocks
02-27-2009, 09:49 PM
are they?

is Buck really an upgrade on Pittman? Yes

Hill on McCree? Yes

Gaffrey on DJack? No

JJ on Tatum? Yes

3/4 isn't bad. I'm not excited either, but ...

TXBRONC
02-27-2009, 10:57 PM

Not me, becaue it also makes its very likely that we will also draft two nose tackles.

WARHORSE
02-28-2009, 05:26 AM
CBS4 Broncos Insider Vic Lombardi confirms that the Broncos have added two more pieces to the defensive side of the ball. Late Friday, Cleveland Browns Linebacker Andra Davis and Indianapolis Colts Defensive Tackle Darrell Reid inked contracts to help shore up the much-maligned defense. Davis will play Inside Linebacker in the 3-4 defense Head Coach Josh McDaniels will implement. Reid was a Defensive Tackle with the Colts, but he may see some time at linebacker as well.

elsid13
02-28-2009, 09:38 AM
CBS4 Broncos Insider Vic Lombardi confirms that the Broncos have added two more pieces to the defensive side of the ball. Late Friday, Cleveland Browns Linebacker Andra Davis and Indianapolis Colts Defensive Tackle Darrell Reid inked contracts to help shore up the much-maligned defense. Davis will play Inside Linebacker in the 3-4 defense Head Coach Josh McDaniels will implement. Reid was a Defensive Tackle with the Colts, but he may see some time at linebacker as well.

I expect Reid will come in a rotate at DE position and flex inside with Thomas on passing downs.

sneakers
02-28-2009, 09:59 AM
Did we just sign Andra Davis, ILB, Cleveland Browns?

Except for Shannon, I don't like my players with girls names.

nevcraw
02-28-2009, 11:25 AM
Andra Davis
2008 Scouting Report - Scouts Inc.
Grade: 62 | Key
Alert: None

Comment: Davis is a leader and a tough guy, but he has taken a lot of pounding on his smaller frame throughout his career and his best days are now probably behind him. He took a step backwards in 2007. He remains a starter, but has just a tenuous hold on that position, as he began losing snaps to Leon Williams as the 2007 season went along. Before the season, Davis lost weight to improve his stamina and quickness, but he struggled taking on blockers and his tackling suffered. Meanwhile, his quickness was not noticeably improved and he still wore down as games and the season progressed. He is a leader on this team and has a very good football mind, making the defensive calls. He is better against the run than pass and is at his best moving forward in the run game. Davis is a striker who can jar ball carriers. He isn't very fast, but reads plays well and takes very few false steps.

claymore
02-28-2009, 01:18 PM
BRONCOS BAG ANOTHER
Posted by Mike Florio: Saturday, February 28, 2009 11:54 AM
Our own Aaron Wilson, who currently is patiently awaiting the resurrection of PFT as we continue to borrow space from our friends at NBC, reports that the Denver Broncos have agreed to terms with linebacker Andra Davis.

Davis, formerly of the Browns, was the longest-serving member of the team.

He was a fifth-round draft pick in 2002, the same year the Browns created considerable confusion for their fan base by selecting receiver Andre' Davis in round two.

BeefStew25
02-28-2009, 01:19 PM
My sources tell me Andra Davis will have a jersey number in the 50's. STandby. I will have some updated info here in a bit.

Rex
02-28-2009, 01:25 PM
My sources tell me Andra Davis will have a jersey number in the 50's. STandby. I will have some updated info here in a bit.

He is crap. I wish Red Miller was still the coach.

I am going to add him to my Madden roster and trade him.

BeefStew25
02-28-2009, 01:28 PM
MY sources also tell me we could draft either a S, DE, LB or CB in the draft.

TXBRONC
02-28-2009, 01:32 PM

That'll fix him. :D

elsid13
02-28-2009, 01:33 PM

I vote you trade him for draft choices in Madden. Because that my plan.

Rex
02-28-2009, 01:34 PM
I vote you trade him for draft choices in Madden. Because that my plan.

Dude....

I will probably get Peppers AND Haynesworth for him and Selvin Young.

I am a PRO ACTIVE GM.

elsid13
02-28-2009, 01:57 PM
Dude....

I will probably get Peppers AND Haynesworth for him and Selvin Young.

I am a PRO ACTIVE GM.

Excellent