PDA

View Full Version : Was Tim Tebow's game-winning touchdown pass for Denver Broncos an illegal play?

Denver Native (Carol)
01-09-2012, 11:12 PM
WELL - isn't this special - and it comes from a writer for the Bay Area News Group

Were Tim Tebow's final-play heroics for the Broncos against the Steelers divine intervention or inaction by the officials during Sunday's playoff game?

Upon further review, it appears as though the Broncos may have been lined up in an illegal formation.

The NFL rulebook says the following about offensive player positioning at the snap:

picture on link - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_19706529

BroncoTech
01-09-2012, 11:20 PM
You see that all the time in the NFL. If his hand is down in front of his head he may be perfectly legal.

topscribe
01-09-2012, 11:29 PM
They're right. He's way off the LOS. But if it wasn't called, it wasn't called.

I saw holding calls that weren't called, and then the lateral that the refs botched.

So, what goes around, comes around . . . :coffee:

UnderArmour
01-09-2012, 11:31 PM
They're right. He's way off the LOS. But if it wasn't called, it wasn't called.

I saw a holding calls that weren't called, and then the lateral that the refs botched.

So, what goes around, comes around . . . :coffee:

Don't forget the facemasks that weren't called.

Northman
01-09-2012, 11:34 PM
Was it divine intervention when the ref blew the whistle early on the steeler fumble? Inquiring minds want to know.

MOtorboat
01-09-2012, 11:42 PM
It's not speeding if you don't get caught.

MOtorboat
01-09-2012, 11:44 PM
Besides, when lineman play off like that it's obvious that it's a pass play, and referees are a little more lenient on. Pittsburgh was too stupid to realize it and boom...

I blame Pittsburgh.

Dapper Dan
01-09-2012, 11:50 PM
The Patriots/Rams Super Bowl. It looked like someone may have been holding on that FG.

TimHippo
01-10-2012, 12:07 AM
That's just a camera angle trick anyway. Also the CBS blue line of scrimmage line is not correct.
Dumb article.

The Glue Factory
01-10-2012, 12:47 AM
Looking at the ref that straddles the LOS, the highlighted player is less than 2 yards off the LOS. Yeah he looks a little far back but not enough that I'd gripe about it if it was Pittsburgh getting the benefit of the doubt. I think someone is just picking nits.

chazoe60
01-10-2012, 12:55 AM
Actually I bet if we looked really close at the rule book throwing a pass to beat the Stealers probably is a penalty. I think that's what they got the Sea Hawks for.

Poet
01-10-2012, 01:22 AM
No team gets as many calls in their favor as Pittsburgh. No one wants to hear that garbage.

Davii
01-10-2012, 01:28 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but did the wr opposite DT not motion in and up to the line prior to the snap?

topscribe
01-10-2012, 01:32 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but did the wr opposite DT not motion in and up to the line prior to the snap?

Far as I could see, he was still two yards behind the ball when it was snapped . . .

4ywHh69CbQ8

Davii
01-10-2012, 02:23 AM
Far as I could see, he was still two yards behind the ball when it was snapped . . .

4ywHh69CbQ8

Huh... Well there you go... Maybe the refs realized there should've never been an overtime if not for blowing their whistles on a fumbled backwards lateral... Tried to atone maybe?

topscribe
01-10-2012, 02:44 AM
Huh... Well there you go... Maybe the refs realized there should've never been an overtime if not for blowing their whistles on a fumbled backwards lateral... Tried to atone maybe?

Well, they were an incompetent bunch, IMO. And that's putting it delicately . . .

PAINTERDAVE
01-10-2012, 03:00 AM
So we have won EVERY OT we have been in this year... 4 of them.

Kings of OT.

I like it.

Nick
01-10-2012, 03:46 AM
No team gets as many calls in their favor as Pittsburgh. No one wants to hear that garbage.

I think Pat's get a lot more favorable calls.

shank
01-10-2012, 08:31 AM
starks had doom in a sleeper hold for 90% of the game too, curious.

Chef Zambini
01-10-2012, 08:57 AM
the point is MOOT!
the steelers were not fooled by an irregular formation !
they KNEW dang well that DT was a receiver and had ZERO compulsion to cover our TACKLE who would have been required to DECLARE before the snap of the ball ! lots of lineman and receivers FUDGE their position on the field!
are we making vinegar here, because this is nothing but sour grapes!

As for the officiating, pretty pathetic thru-out the game !
We won IN SPITE of the refs, not because of them!
I was screeming LATERAL the minute / scrtach that INSTANT bens pass went BACKWARDS and to the ground!
I could see that easily and instantly even though I was 800 miles away ! That ref crew should be retired for the play-offs just like the steelers!
It took the head official 30 seconds to butcher the explanation of OT rules, and only 11 seconds for us to score!
illegal?
please.

vandammage13
01-10-2012, 09:48 AM
Meh...Yeah he may have been a little off the LoS, but does something like that really affect the play?

No...Just outsiders looking for anything to discredit our W.

weazel
01-10-2012, 11:10 AM
Oakland scum are funny...

I guess it was a missed call, just to go along with the 10 missed face mask calls and the screwed up fumble call the refs gave Pitt

Nomad
01-10-2012, 11:36 AM
Why do the black talking heads always turn to the race card when discussing Tebow? I don't see the comparison especially when they keep bringing up headcase Vince Young's name.

claymore
01-10-2012, 11:39 AM
Why do the black talking heads always turn to the race card when discussing Tebow? I don't see the comparison especially when they keep bringing up headcase Vince Young's name.

I think they think its more than coincidental that Tebow is getting far more attention than Cam Newton who has been lights out in comparison.

The dudes in my office feel that way. Its somewhat of a sensitive subject.

iLands
01-10-2012, 11:43 AM
I think they think its more than coincidental that Tebow is getting far more attention than Cam Newton who has been lights out in comparison.

Lights out? Tebow had more wins this season in five less starts.

Cam is a cancer who insults his team and hides under a towel.

Tebow just won in the playoffs. He is humble and thanks his team and coaches whenever he gets on a hot mike.

Why would anyone be talking about Cam? His season is over.

slim
01-10-2012, 11:43 AM

It comes down to how you define success...most people give a lot of weight to winning. Hell, Vince Young got a ton of love for winning in Ten.

Nomad
01-10-2012, 11:47 AM

No I was listening to FSR the other day and the guy on, who was black, said the black QB in the NFL is still a slave to mediocre white QBs and the media:confused:. I was like WTF!

claymore
01-10-2012, 11:47 AM
Lights out? Tebow had more wins this season in five less starts.

Cam is a cancer who insults his team and hides under a towel.

Tebow just won in the playoffs.

Why would anyone be talking about Cam? His season is over.
Tebow cnat hold a candle to Cams on the field performance this year. Dont even argue that.

I give 2 squirts about off the field stuff. Its none of my business. Im a bronco fan, not a Tebow/newton personal life fan.

It comes down to how you define success...most people give a lot of weight to winning. Hell, Vince Young got a ton of love for winning in Ten.

He did. I felt he was given credit for something he didnt deserve at the time as well.

vandammage13
01-10-2012, 11:48 AM

I have heard this as well, but I don't agree with the sentiment (As a caveat, I am a white guy).

Cam Newton had a great year statistically, but Tebow was winning...

I don't agree with the sentiment because no one was more criticized than Tim Tebow coming out of college and even up to week 17...Yeah, he gets a lot of attention, but a lot of that is coming because he keeps winning despite all odds.

Also, it seems like many of the black folk had a problem with TT being a running QB and getting a chance while other black running QB's did not.

What they fail to recognize is that, while yes, there have been numerous successful black running QB's in college, none had the success that Tebow had.

Tebow was arguably the best college player of all time...First QB to both run and pass for 20 TDs in the same year. Broke the SEC record for rushing TD's in a career in a league that has seen the likes of RBs such as Bo Jackson, Herschel Walker, and Emmitt Smith.

Tebow was not just another running QB coming out of college that happened to be white...He was the best running QB of all time. No QB, white or black ever matched the production that TT had over his college career.

TT did not get his shot because he is white...He got his shot because he is good at what he does. He worked for it and earned his chance.

claymore
01-10-2012, 11:48 AM
No I was listening to FSR the other day and the guy on, who was black, said the black QB in the NFL is still a slave to mediocre white QBs and the media:confused:. I was like WTF!

Well, if thats how slavery is defined... I want to be a slave. He could have worded it alot differentley and had a very good point.

Day1BroncoFan
01-10-2012, 11:49 AM
Who cares, water under the bridge.

Nomad
01-10-2012, 11:50 AM
Well, if thats how slavery is defined... I want to be a slave. He could have worded it alot differentley and had a very good point.

Perhaps...they may have a point but why do they always have to resort back to the slave word.

claymore
01-10-2012, 11:51 AM
I have heard this as well, but I don't agree with the sentiment (As a caveat, I am a white guy).

Cam Newton had a great year statistically, but Tebow was winning...

I don't agree with the sentiment because no one was more criticized than Tim Tebow coming out of college and even up to week 17...Yeah, he gets a lot of attention, but a lot of that is coming because he keeps winning despite all odds.

Also, it seems like many of the black folk had a problem with TT being a running QB and getting a chance while other black running QB's did not.

What they fail to recognize is that, while yes, there have been numerous successful black running QB's in college, none had the success that Tebow had.

Tebow was arguably the best college player of all time...First QB to both run and pass for 20 TDs in the same year. Broke the SEC record for rushing TD's in a career in a league that has seen the likes of RBs such as Bo Jackson, Herschel Walker, and Emmitt Smith.

Tebow was not just another running QB coming out of college that happened to be white...He was the best running QB of all time. No QB, white or black ever matched the production that TT had over his college career.

I also think that he could be the best college player of all time. I think the attention would be there regardless of his color. People want people like him to exhist. He is a modern day hero.

Cam Newton has been a far better pro athelete statistically. The panthers are losing for many reasons. None of them are because of Cam Newton.

claymore
01-10-2012, 11:54 AM
Perhaps...they may have a point but why do they always have to resort back to the slave word.

Because people are pussies and back down once that word is brought up.

slim

They don't have an actual argument, so they have to invent one.

iLands
You're totally right.

None of those seventeen interceptions cost them any games.

Five less games.

More wins.

Without Steve Smith.

You'll see the difference next year when we play them in the regular season. :coffee:

Nomad
01-10-2012, 11:55 AM
Who cares, water under the bridge.

Trying to understand the mindset, Day1.....it will not end with Tebow. What does the media have to do to pacify the black QB? Yeah, we can put our fingers in our ears or ignore it but I'm just wondering.

vandammage13
01-10-2012, 11:58 AM
I also think that he could be the best college player of all time. I think the attention would be there regardless of his color. People want people like him to exhist. He is a modern day hero.

I just hate race always being brought into the equation, and it seems like minorities make a lot of things a race issue when they are not, which irritates me.

To say that TT unfairly got his shot because of his skin color discredits all the hard work he put in to make it in this league.

Cam Newton has been a far better pro athelete statistically. The panthers are losing for many reasons. None of them are because of Cam Newton.

I wouldn't say that he had nothing to do with their losses...His alarming INT rate certainly put their defenses in tough situations...

That being said, without Cam, the Panthers probably have the worst record in the league again. I think the kid has a great career ahead of him.

claymore
01-10-2012, 12:01 PM
You're totally right.

None of those seventeen interceptions cost them any games.

Five less games.

More wins.

Without Steve Smith.

You'll see the difference next year when we play them in the regular season. :coffee:

Hmm, Tebow is -1 in turnovers and Cam newton is +1. BFD.

Ravage!!!
01-10-2012, 12:01 PM
I just hate race always being brought into the equation, and it seems like minorities make a lot of things a race issue when they are not, which irritates me.

To say that TT unfairly got his shot because of his skin color discredits all the hard work he put in to make it in this league.

Same as to when I hear all the people saying that Tim's play is being criticized because of his 'religion.' No difference. Has nothing to do with his religion.

claymore
01-10-2012, 12:06 PM

I wouldn't say that he had nothing to do with their losses...His alarming INT rate certainly put their defenses in tough situations...

That being said, without Cam, the Panthers probably have the worst record in the league again. I think the kid has a great career ahead of him.

Tebow has an alarming rate of fumbles too. 13 fumbles, 6 lost. Both are young, both made mistakes.

I think Cam made more plays. I think he looked better overall. Without orange colored glasses, Id rather have Newton.

iLands
01-10-2012, 12:07 PM
Hmm, Tebow is -1 in turnovers and Cam newton is +1. BFD.

Cam has 17 interceptions and 3 fumbles.

Tebow has 6 interceptions and 7 fumbles.

I don't think your math is right :(

vandammage13
01-10-2012, 12:09 PM
Same as to when I hear all the people saying that Tim's play is being criticized because of his 'religion.' No difference. Has nothing to do with his religion.

The religion argument is inate to Tebow...The race card gets played in many more aspects of sports/politics and even life.

vandammage13
01-10-2012, 12:10 PM

He's talking TD/TO ratio

iLands
01-10-2012, 12:14 PM
You'd really take Cam?

He has a history of scandal, not an isolated incident.

You say you only care what happens on the field.

That's hilarious.

Suspensions and jail sentences affect on field performance.

Ask Michael Vick. Ask Plax.

Hell, ask Pete Rose.

That's probably the most asinine thing I've ever heard.

Thanks, but I'll take the franchise quarterback who I think will be sticking around, not the one who walks into scandal habitually.

I like watching Cam. I like it a lot. I'm just so glad I get to watch him on another team.

TimHippo
01-10-2012, 12:15 PM
I think if anything Tebow has endured even more unfair and hateful criticism because the haters and analysts don't have to be careful about what they say about him. Saying things like "He's dumb", "low IQ", "Cannot throw the ball" (even though he's been playing the position his whole life), "Cannot make quick decisions", etc, etc. The analysts and haters are unleashing their hate on him.

Alot of people have noticed this.

broncosfannum24
01-10-2012, 12:16 PM
Its easy for cam to look good with all his stats because they throw the ball non stop, and he has a legitament wide reciver in steve smith and and a top notch running back core with stewart and, deangelo williams.

And theres a reason he isnt winning games, turnovers, count how many ints newton threw this year thats not a winning formula, thats why we didnt win the last three games cause of too many turnovers

As for vince young, he won games, but didnt have the work ethic as tebow so you cant compare the two, and vince is now a back up because he didnt have the mental toughness also to play qb , remember when there was talk of him almost commiting suicide?, tebow is getting bashes by everyone on the face of the earth and still plays well enough to win, vince young gets booed at home and all of a sudden is all sad and stuff, not to mention that game he was booed in, they actually won that game first time for that i think lol

And people just love to make excuses for an upset mostly cause people dont like to be wrong espiecally when it come to tebow lol

claymore
01-10-2012, 12:17 PM

Tebow has 12 TD's 13 TO. -1 Cam has 21 TD's 20 TO. +1

If you look at the rushing statistics, cam has 35 TD's 20 TO's. +15.

Tebow has 18 TD's 12 TD's +6.

Its not even close.

claymore
01-10-2012, 12:18 PM
Its easy for cam to look good with all his stats because they throw the ball non stop, and he has a legitament wide reciver in steve smith and and a top notch running back core with stewart and, deangelo williams.

And theres a reason he isnt winning games, turnovers, count how many ints newton threw this year thats not a winning formula, thats why we didnt win the last three games cause of too many turnovers

As for vince young, he won games, but didnt have the work ethic as tebow so you cant compare the two, and vince is now a back up because he didnt have the mental toughness also to play qb , remember when there was talk of him almost commiting suicide?, tebow is getting bashes by everyone on the face of the earth and still plays well enough to win, vince young gets booed at home and all of a sudden is all sad and stuff, not to mention that game he was booed in, they actually won that game first time for that i think lol

And people just love to make excuses for an upset mostly cause people dont like to be wrong espiecally when it come to tebow lol

Cam has been a better running QB as well.

Day1BroncoFan
01-10-2012, 12:22 PM
Trying to understand the mindset, Day1.....it will not end with Tebow. What does the media have to do to pacify the black QB? Yeah, we can put our fingers in our ears or ignore it but I'm just wondering.

I'm talking about the illegal formation. Don't know what you mean by the rest of what you're saying, maybe I missed something. Does the article have something about racism I missed. I read the whole thing.

vandammage13
01-10-2012, 12:28 PM

Just to show how important it is to protect the ball:

In all 6 of the Panther's wins, Cam had 0 INT's...All 17 INT's came in the losses. (Tebow also only had 1 INT in our 8 wins with him).

Also, how does he play in crunch time?
Cam gets worse as the game goes on while Tebow gets better.

Cam has a rating of 102.4 in the 1st quarter, 90.0 in the 2nd, 65.5 in the 3rd, and 78.4 in the 4th.

Tim has a rating of 69.9 in the 1st Quarter, 51.6 in the 2nd, 72.8 in the 3rd, and 84.0 in the 4th.

...I'll take the guy who is at his best win it counts.

vandammage13
01-10-2012, 12:29 PM

Its not even close.

Can we include the +3 from this week to at least make our QB look closer? :lol:

Also, if you understand that the rate is a positive number, then statistically it would continue to improve over time, and TT played 5 less games...so really they are about the same.

claymore
01-10-2012, 12:31 PM
Just to show how important it is to protect the ball:

In all 6 of the Panther's wins, Cam had 0 INT's...All 17 INT's came in the losses. (Tebow also only had 1 INT in our 8 wins with him).

Also, how does he play in crunch time?
Cam gets worse as the game goes on while Tebow gets better.

Cam has a rating of 102.4 in the 1st quarter, 90.0 in the 2nd, 65.5 in the 3rd, and 78.4 in the 4th.

Tim has a rating of 69.9 in the 1st Quarter, 51.6 in the 2nd, 72.8 in the 3rd, and 84.0 in the 4th.

...I'll take the guy who is at his best win it counts.

The KC game was crunch time and Tebow looked like shit. The Buffalo game was crunch time and Tebow looked like shit. The NE game was crunch time and Tebow looked like shit.

vandammage13
01-10-2012, 12:34 PM
The KC game was crunch time and Tebow looked like shit. The Buffalo game was crunch time and Tebow looked like shit. The NE game was crunch time and Tebow looked like shit.

The Pitt game was the biggest crunch time game out of all of those...so....

And hold on here...if the NE game (week 15) is crunch time, then why isn't CHI or MINN? Starting at 1-4 I'd say all the games were crunch time. You can't just pick some and leave out the others.

slim
01-10-2012, 12:34 PM
Why do people keep saying he played poorly against NE? I think you guys need to rewatch that game.

claymore
01-10-2012, 12:36 PM
Can we include the +3 from this week to at least make our QB look closer?

Also, if you understand that the rate is a positive number, then statistically it would continue to improve over time, and TT played 5 less games.

Thats hypothetical. My argument is that Cam Newton has looked far better during the regular season.

It was stated that he turned the ball over to much, when in fact he turned it over less than Tebow.

vandammage13
01-10-2012, 12:38 PM
Why do people keep saying he played poorly against NE? I think you guys need to rewatch that game.

Beacause the line that we were fed leading up to the last game was that TT had looked like crap for the last 3 weeks, so that became reality.

This was after immediately following the NE game that many of those same media members were saying that TT had his best game as a passer and was continuing to show strides.

The narrative changes with this guy week to week...never seen anything like it.

claymore
01-10-2012, 12:40 PM
11-22 0 TD's and 4 sacks. He fumbled twice, lost one and had 2 rushing TD's.

You arent going to beat Brady that way. Thats crappy QB play.

claymore
01-10-2012, 12:41 PM
Beacause the line that we were fed leading up to the last game was that TT had looked like crap for the last 3 weeks, so that became reality.

This was after immediately following the NE game that many of those same media members were saying that TT had his best game as a passer and was continuing to show strides.

The narrative changes with this guy week to week...never seen anything like it.

It does. The dude is all over the place though. One week he is braking records, the next week he wins in OT with 3 completions total. (that may or may not be an exageration!)

vandammage13
01-10-2012, 12:42 PM
Thats hypothetical. My argument is that Cam Newton has looked far better during the regular season.

It was stated that he turned the ball over to much, when in fact he turned it over less than Tebow.

No...the fact is Cam turned it over more. (20 TO's vs. 12 TO's)

The +- was better for Cam.

But even TT's ratio of 2:1 was better. (3:2 if you include rushing #'s)

slim
01-10-2012, 12:46 PM
11-22 0 TD's and 4 sacks. He fumbled twice, lost one and had 2 rushing TD's.

You arent going to beat Brady that way. Thats crappy QB play.

And 12 carries for 93 yards. But stats never tell the whole story, you know that.

The Broncos had control of that game until the 3 fumbles in the second quarter (yeah, I know Tim had one of those fumbles).

Overall, he played well. Watch it again if you don't believe me (or just read some of the Denver Post article that were written after the game).

artie_dale
01-10-2012, 12:46 PM
WELL - isn't this special - and it comes from a writer for the Bay Area News Group

Quote:
Were Tim Tebow's final-play heroics for the Broncos against the Steelers divine intervention or inaction by the officials during Sunday's playoff game?

Upon further review, it appears as though the Broncos may have been lined up in an illegal formation.

The NFL rulebook says the following about offensive player positioning at the snap:

picture on link - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_19706529

Why does it have to be "devine intervention"??? Why not the team and play callers exposing the Steelers defense? Why not the Steelers getting caught with thier pants down? Why not D. Thomas' heroics in stiff arming the hell out of a DB that ened up slowing an approaching DB which enabled him to run the rest of the way to score? Why does it have to be Tebow and Devine Intervention... and throwing for 316 years is much more common then you think. Otherwise, what about all the other QB's who threw for 316 yrds? No devine intervention there? If any holy spirit were to interfere in any human event, I would hope it'd be much more significant than an American National Football League Playoff Game.

claymore
01-10-2012, 12:57 PM
And 12 carries for 93 yards. But stats never tell the whole story, you know that.

The Broncos had control of that game until the 3 fumbles in the second quarter (yeah, I know Tim had one of those fumbles).

Overall, he played well. Watch it again if you don't believe me (or just read some of the Denver Post article that were written after the game).

I want our QB to win with his arm, with the occasional rush/rushing TD.

TXBRONC
01-10-2012, 12:58 PM
Was it divine intervention when the ref blew the whistle early on the steeler fumble? Inquiring minds want to know.

That and there was a face masking infraction that wasn't called either.

vandammage13
01-10-2012, 01:03 PM
That and there was a face masking infraction that wasn't called either.

What's even more puzzling is another facemask penalty was missed in the KC game on a similar play. 2 weeks in a row they missed it.

vandammage13
01-10-2012, 03:37 PM
Just to put this silly controversy to rest, the NFL has released a statement saying the formation was legal.

"There is nothing to this," NFL spokesman Greg Aiello told NFL.com on Tuesday. "This is a legal formation. This should not have been flagged."

Mike Pereira, the NFL's former vice president of officiating and current "rules expert" for Fox, agreed no flag should have been thrown.

"Watch on any Sunday. This is a good formation compared to many," Pereira said. "They are not technical with this."

With this knowledge in hand, Steelers fans can officially can go back to blaming poor Ike Taylor.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d825e12a4/article/nfl-spokesman-broncos-lined-up-legally-on-ot-play-vs-steelers?module=HP11_headline_stack

HORSEPOWER 56
01-10-2012, 04:05 PM
Do not use the blue line. It means nothing. It is the TV representation of where the LOS is, not the actual LOS. Look at the Linesman official at the top of the screen. Technically, he "straddles" the LOS. Fells appears to have his feet at the 18, therefore putting his hands on about the 19 yard line (A typical 3 point stance is approximately one yard ). The official is at approximately the 19 1/2 yard line.

The bottom line is, if it was illegal, it was so minor as to be ridiculous compared to the aforementioned missed/bad calls that went on throughout the game.

2 blatant facemasks not called, the lateral, the roughing the passer on Harrison (yes, it was a BS call). Most of all Harrison, Woodley, Dumervil, and Miller, 4 of the most feared pass-rushers in the league were on the field and not one holding call all game, for either team. Unrealistic? More like impossible.

The game was poorly officiated. I don't think that crew will get another game in the post season.

Superchop 7
01-10-2012, 04:54 PM
I was yelling for the refs to call it against the Steelers, look back at the game, they were doing the same thing.

Each ref has his own strike zone, as long as it's the same for everyone......it is fair.

Same with LOS.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-10-2012, 05:08 PM
HEY GUYS - WE'RE GOOD:elefant::elefant:

from article:

However, before grieving Steelers fans get too wound up, be advised that the NFL said the Broncos played within the rules on the play in question.

"There is nothing to this," NFL spokesman Greg Aiello told NFL.com on Tuesday. "This is a legal formation. This should not have been flagged."

Mike Pereira, the NFL's former vice president of officiating and current "rules expert" for Fox, agreed no flag should have been thrown.

"Watch on any Sunday. This is a good formation compared to many," Pereira said. "They are not technical with this."

full article - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d825e12a4/article/nfl-spokesman-broncos-lined-up-legally-on-ot-play-vs-steelers?module=HP11_headline_stack

topscribe
01-10-2012, 06:38 PM
HEY GUYS - WE'RE GOOD:elefant::elefant:

from article:

full article - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d825e12a4/article/nfl-spokesman-broncos-lined-up-legally-on-ot-play-vs-steelers?module=HP11_headline_stack

Still, when Eddie shifted in, it wouldn't have hurt for him to set one yard closer
to the line. With those mental midgets out there throwing flags when they
shouldn't - and not throwing them when they should - you just never know . . .

Joel
01-10-2012, 09:28 PM
Just want to say I think it was very forthright of you to refer to the SEC as its own "league," essentially conceding that the NCAA revolves around it (as this years title game amply demonstrates.) When they get a playoff tournament like ALL OTHER COLLEGIATE SPORTS (including all other levels of football) I might take the NCAA seriously. As long as it's just the best SEC team vs. whoever is nominated as their punching bag, or just the best two SEC teams if there's any doubt of the SEC team winning, the whole "of COURSE the SEC is the best; look how many championships they've won" argument will always ring a little hollow.

If you play for them, FSU, Miami, Notre Dame, OU, Texas, Michigan, USC, Notre Dame or Ohio St. you might "win" a National "Championship." Otherwise, transfer to one of the aforementioned (ideally not Notre Dame, which lately seems just the worst team with half a dozen nationally televised games per year.) The sheer volume of Heismann winning busts says more about SECAA "champions" than anything else could. Anyway....

Its not even close.
It's really not.

Tebow: 126/271 for 1729 yds, 12 TDs and 6 Ints, sacked 33/225
Rushed 122/660 and 6 TDs, with 6 fumbles lost. PR: 72.9 QBR: 71.2

Newton: 310/517 for 4051 yds, 21 TDs and 17 Ints, sacked 35/260
Rushed 126/706 and 14 TDs, with 2 fumbles lost. PR: 84.5 QBR: 88.2

Newton beats Tebow soundly in Passer Rating, and crushes him in QB Rating. Ratings aren't everything, of course; Tebow obviously suffers a lot there because his completion percentage is nearly 15 points lower than Newtons. That's what makes it interesting, because, while Tebows YPA is nearly 1.5 yards less than Newtons, his yards per CATCH is over half a yard higher, his TD% is nearly half a point higher and his Int% is a full ponit lower. To put that in perspective, Tebow would only need to complete 55% of his passes to match Newtons PR, even though Newton completed 60% of his. That said, Tebow would have to get a LOT better to match Newtons QB Rating; the rushing average is close (though still in Newtons favor,) but Newtons TD% is over twice as high as Tebows, and Tebows Fum% is more than thrice as high as Newtons.

Short form: Based on their stats, Newton's a better passer, runner and QB than Tebow right now. He's also had more starts; it might be interesting to compare career numbers when that's no longer true: Sunday. ;)

Incidentally, the NFL unequivocally states the OT TD pass was perfectly legal, to the extent that's the subject of this thread. :tongue:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d825e12a4/article/league-says-broncos-lined-up-legally-on-ot-play-vs-steelers

wayninja
01-10-2012, 09:49 PM

You forgot;

The Steelers game was ultra-crunch time and Tebow looked like Marino.

Medford Bronco
01-10-2012, 09:52 PM
Besides, when lineman play off like that it's obvious that it's a pass play, and referees are a little more lenient on. Pittsburgh was too stupid to realize it and boom...

I blame Pittsburgh.

Polomaleu was dumb to creep up. He did not help out at all the whole day. You would think HOF D coordinator D Lebeau would learn after the first 2 bombs thrown against you to not have 9 in the box in overtime. :lol:

Ike Talyor had about as bad of a day as possible at corner.

gobroncsnv
01-10-2012, 10:21 PM
There are missed or botched calls on every snap of every game... not having a very hard time of getting over this one.

gobroncsnv
01-10-2012, 10:27 PM
there are many teams in the league who feature QB's with"mechanics" soming out of their butts... Most of whom wish they were a couple o wins from a SB appearance.

wayninja
01-10-2012, 10:28 PM
Yes, Illegal. They should take both this touchdown and the one where the Steelers turned the ball over and the refs missed the backward pass call off the board. Where would that leave us?

Oh, right.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-10-2012, 10:30 PM
There are missed or botched calls on every snap of every game... not having a very hard time of getting over this one.

The NFL ruled today that the Broncos lined up legally on that play.

topscribe
01-10-2012, 11:42 PM
The NFL ruled today that the Broncos lined up legally on that play.

Did they say anything about that lateral?