PDA

View Full Version : Where does it rank for you?

SmilinAssasSin27
01-09-2012, 08:42 PM
Where does DT's 80 yard TD rank FOR YOU in the history of great sports moments. This isn't a ranking vs historically significant sports moments, but vs the ones that YOU hold so dear.

I am a fan of the Blue Jays/Mets, Maple Leafs, Broncos, Tennessee Vols (football), Kentucky Wildcats (basketball) and Spurs. Since I began watching sports in 1985, my teams have had some great moments. Plenty of Titles have been won. Plenty of memorable stories have been written. DT's TD ranks up there w/ some of the best of em.

Now, it wasn't Elway's helicopter or Joe Carter's World Series winning walkoff HR, but few moments are. It may not have even been Tee Martin to Peerless Price or David Robinson FINALLY getting his ring. But it's close.

To some, this is simply a wild card victory. No more. No less. To me, it means a bit more. Insert the Steelers for the meaning. You folks have NO IDEA what it is like to live with/near these whiney, entitled, excuse making freaks. I've had to hear about their 4 rings since the 80s...and now they have 5 and 6. They seem to forget Kordell's 3 INTs and Romonowski slapping the forehead, but can't talk enough about 2005. Vomit inducing.

I went into the game yesterday w/ zero expectations. Was just gonna watch it w/ my family and chow down some pizza. As the game evolved though...the butterflies came. I knew the lead wouldn't last. I just knew it. Once OT came, I figured it was all but over for us. What's this? tebow is dropping back? REALLY? Nice ball. Solid game. Good start to OT. BUT then came a stiff arm and possibly the most overrated CB in the NFL went down. HARD. It was glorious. But DT kept running. Surely he would get caught. His achilles is a mess afterall. Then the screen panned a bit, showing the Bronco faithful going insane at what, to me, was a top 10 sports moment in my eyes.

Where did it rank for you?

Steelers24
01-09-2012, 08:54 PM
That fact that the play was in OT and against a good made it even more amazing. I'm not sure what to rank it, but its definetly one to remember.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-09-2012, 08:55 PM
welcome 24!

BroncoWave
01-09-2012, 09:00 PM
I rank it the top Broncos moment outside of the Super Bowls. As far as other sports, matches up with Nadal finally beating Federer at Wimbledon, Mississippi St. winning 4 games in 4 days to win the SEC basketball tournament in 2010, and the Grizzlies winning their first playoff series.

topscribe
01-09-2012, 09:03 PM
To Broncos (and perhaps Steelers) fans, it may go down as an all-time play.
To the rest of the league, it definitely is a great highlight, but it likely will
soon be obscured by a succession of highlights since then. For instance,
I'll bet that end zone flip obscures it in most of the minds outside Denver . . .

MOtorboat
01-09-2012, 09:11 PM
To Broncos (and perhaps Steelers) fans, it may go down as an all-time play.
To the rest of the league, it definitely is a great highlight, but it likely will
soon be obscured by a succession of highlights since then. For instance,
I'll bet that end zone flip obscures it in most of the minds outside Denver . . .

Don't know about that. That was pretty epic.

MOtorboat
01-09-2012, 09:14 PM
For me, personally, all sports wise as a fan, its no where near my favorite plays. As a Broncos fan only...sure, top 5.

Overall:
1. Helicopter.
2. Motumbu holding the ball on the court after beating Seattle.
3. Dante Bichette's 13th inning home run and fist pump.
4. Ewe Krupe in four overtimes.
5. Elway to Jackson.

topscribe
01-09-2012, 09:20 PM
Don't know about that. That was pretty epic.

Well, it would be pretty cool if you're right . . .

sneakers
01-09-2012, 09:33 PM
Champ bailey interception return 100 yards for touchdown/touchback was better.

Nick
01-09-2012, 09:37 PM
For me, personally, all sports wise as a fan, its no where near my favorite plays. As a Broncos fan only...sure, top 5.

Overall:
1. Helicopter.
5. Elway to Jackson.

How can you not forget the smile of Dikembe Mutombo. I am a kings fan but that was great and has to be in my top 10 nba playoff moments.

Nick
01-09-2012, 09:41 PM
I will not forget that catch in OT but hard to put over a lot of great and not so great playoff and superbowl plays.

I would put 5-10 moments in green bay Superbowl game above this alone. If this was done in AFC Championship... Different story.

I would also like to have room for a great moment beating Pat's next week. ;)

BroncoTech
01-09-2012, 10:59 PM
For me I think it's up there with Elway to Vance on 'the drive'. If the kid keeps going he's going to have too many comebacks to remember.

hamrob
01-09-2012, 11:07 PM

Overall:
1. Helicopter.
5. Elway to Jackson.

Yeah, one play that comes across as small....but, oh so large, was the 4th down completion to Shannan Sharpe in Pittsburgh to help us go to the 97 Superbowl. If Sharpe doesn't make that catch...no "Helicopter".

What a run that was. We beat K.C. at Arrowhead 14-10, and Pittsburgh at three rivers 24-21! What a wild ride.

Can history repeat itself this year?? :confused:

The Glue Factory
01-10-2012, 09:30 AM
For me I think it's up there with Elway to Vance on 'the drive'. If the kid keeps going he's going to have too many comebacks to remember.

That's Elway to Jackson for the TD :listen:

Chef Zambini
01-10-2012, 09:47 AM
history?
EVERY time we have gone to the superbowl we had to beat the steelers to get there.
just sayin'.

Thnikkaman
01-10-2012, 10:16 AM
For me off the top of my head:

1. Elway's Helicopter
2. Matt Holliday touching the plate
3. Joe Sackic handing the cup off to Ray Borque.
4. The Drive
5. Ubaldo's No-Hitter against the Braves.

Mutumbo was epic, but I've never been a big basketball fan.

claymore
01-10-2012, 11:05 AM
All my moments are Bronco moments.

1. Elway Helicopter
2. "The strip" by Jeremiah Castille in the 88 AFC game
3. All of the drive...
4. Steve Atwaters hit on the nigerian nightmare
5. Rod Smiths 80 yard TD in SB 33.

The 80 yard Tebow TD will go up some notches if he isnt a flash in a frying pan.

slim
01-10-2012, 11:09 AM

Overall:
1. Helicopter.
5. Elway to Jackson.

6. Tulo to Helton...final out to win the pennant.
7. Kordell's hail mary to Westbrook.

slim
01-10-2012, 11:22 AM
For me off the top of my head:

1. Elway's Helicopter
2. Matt Holliday touching the plate
3. Joe Sackic handing the cup off to Ray Borque.
4. The Drive
5. Ubaldo's No-Hitter against the Braves.

Mutumbo was epic, but I've never been a big basketball fan.

That nuggets win was huge....of course that was back when I still watched the NBA.

Joe Sackic/Ray Borque...I should have put that one on my list, instead the hail mary by Kordell.

Ravage!!!
01-10-2012, 11:24 AM
For all of sports? Not even in the top 20, but for the Broncos, being that was in OT vs Steelers in a playoff.... top 5-7.

Thnikkaman
01-10-2012, 11:26 AM
xtpUoVxX5j8

Thnikkaman
01-10-2012, 11:27 AM
vbZ301xDrzw

slim
01-10-2012, 11:27 AM
xtpUoVxX5j8

Rocktober was so much fun.

What a great run that was...