PDA

View Full Version : Broncos could be in trouble with Texas A&M after fan flag

Denver Native (Carol)
01-09-2012, 06:31 PM
Not even Tim Tebow can help the Denver Broncos out of this jam.

Just as the Broncos survived a wild first round of the NFL playoffs by beating the Pittsburgh Steelers on Sunday, their trouble was just starting off the field.

A spokesperson for Texas A&M University said the school might take legal action against the Broncos for using the school's trademarked "12th man" phrase before Sunday's game, according to KBTX TV in College Station, Texas.

rest of article - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_19706239

Nomad
01-09-2012, 06:34 PM
I'm sure OrangeHoof will go off on this one....he loves A&M!:lol:

Does Seattle use the 12th man?

MOtorboat
01-09-2012, 06:36 PM
Weak.

MOtorboat
01-09-2012, 06:37 PM

Wondered this myself, so I just googled it. They settled out of court and part of the agreement allows Seattle to still use it as long as the recognize where the term came from.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-09-2012, 06:38 PM
Is it just the flag they are upset about, as you see in many games people wearing shirts which have 12th man on them.

HORSEPOWER 56
01-09-2012, 06:38 PM
Seriously? Don't the Seattle Seahawks raise their "12th man" flag before every home game - usually with some celebrity or former player doing the honors?

Do they have to shell out royalties to A&M every time? WTF? This stinks along the lines of Pat Riley's lame attempt to copyright the term "3 peat" or Al Davis suing the Bucs when they changed their logo to a skull and crossed swords because it looked too much like that stupid, fairy looking Raider on their helmet...

I hope they sue, and I hope they lose BIG. Trademarking/copyrighting terms in common usage is gay and deserves to be sent to the lounge in the "things that are f#$%^ts" thread...

MOtorboat
01-09-2012, 06:39 PM
Is it just the flag they are upset about, as you see in many games people wearing shirts which have 12th man on them.

I didn't realize they actually have it trademarked, but I would imagine anyone who makes a shirt like that could be sued.

Ravage!!!
01-09-2012, 06:39 PM
I don't think you can copy write a "phrase"... especially one that is commonly used throughout ALL of football. They would have to prove that they OWN the rights to the phrase, and are the ONLY ones that can use it.

I don't think thats possible, and think Texas can go shove a shovel up their ass.

HORSEPOWER 56
01-09-2012, 06:40 PM

So does Coach Chaz.

Krugan
01-09-2012, 06:40 PM
America at its best, I dont know, just sue everyone.

And trademarking a phrase, ffs....

BroncoWave
01-09-2012, 06:41 PM
I don't think you can copy write a "phrase"... especially one that is commonly used throughout ALL of football. They would have to prove that they OWN the rights to the phrase, and are the ONLY ones that can use it.

I don't think thats possible, and think Texas can go shove a shovel up their ass.

Well, it's a trademark, not a copywrite. And yes, you can certainly do so. You can trademark logos, slogans, phrases, etc, as it pertains to your business.

Buff
01-09-2012, 06:41 PM
I pretty much already hate every single Texas school with a passion. If they sued the Broncos that would be the icing on the cake... Although as it stands I hate them less than UT and Bailer - I'd hate to have to reshuffle that ranking.

HORSEPOWER 56
01-09-2012, 06:42 PM
That's it bitches, I'm just going to copyright the term "Von Doom" and anytime you use it you owe me 10 cents...

How gay... :tsk:

MOtorboat
01-09-2012, 06:42 PM

NFL has "Super Bowl" trademarked, and NCAA has "Final Four" trademarked. Any use of either could lead to a lawsuit if they chose to pursue it.

camdisco24
01-09-2012, 06:44 PM
Von Miller should sack the wise guy considering to sue the Broncos. What a douche nozzle.

Dapper Dan
01-09-2012, 06:46 PM
I watched a guy on TV a few years ago and he was trying to copyright/trademark "as seen in tv" and he said he wasn't allowed because it was a common phrase.

Ravage!!!
01-09-2012, 06:46 PM
Well, it's a trademark, not a copywrite. And yes, you can certainly do so. You can trademark logos, slogans, phrases, etc, as it pertains to your business.

Gee, you can copyright logos and slogans?? :rolleyes: I'm familiar with tradmarking slogans, logos,...but this doesn't necessarily fit that criteria.

They would have be "trademarking" the PHRASE "12 Man"... meaning they are suggesting they have solidarity right to that phrase, own that phrase, and the phrase is DIRECTLY tied to THEIR school.... hence the idea that anytime someone says "12 man" it represents Texas AM.

weazel
01-09-2012, 06:47 PM
lmao

Ravage!!!
01-09-2012, 06:48 PM
I watched a guy on TV a few years ago and he was trying to copyright/trademark "as seen in tv" and he said he wasn't allowed because it was a common phrase.

Trump tried to trademark "You're Fired!"

Ravage!!!
01-09-2012, 06:49 PM
NFL has "Super Bowl" trademarked, and NCAA has "Final Four" trademarked. Any use of either could lead to a lawsuit if they chose to pursue it.

Those were direct names MADE by them. Thats different. The use of that word DIRECTLY relates to the NFL and the NCAA tournament. "12th man" does NOT directly relate to Texas AM.

I'm familiar that slogans can bey copyrighted. THis is NOT a slogan for Texas AM.

BroncoWave
01-09-2012, 06:51 PM
Those were direct names MADE by them. Thats different. The use of that word DIRECTLY relates to the NFL and the NCAA tournament. "12th man" does NOT directly relate to Texas AM.

I'm familiar that slogans can bey copyrighted. THis is NOT a slogan for Texas AM.

Despite what you think should be the case, A&M DOES have a trademark on the phrase and are well within their rights to sue the Broncos for using it.

UnderArmour
01-09-2012, 06:52 PM
A&M is just trying to score some cash off the Broncos before they become the bottom feeder of the SEC. They'll be lucky to make a bowl game for the next couple of seasons. Can't blame them. Aggies suck and always will suck. They will never be national championship contenders and losing Texas off their schedule really takes away their whole point for playing, which was to beat UT(and they couldn't even do that most of the time because they are pathetic). A&M sucks and most of their students and graduates are morons. This is just typical asinine behavior from them.

Nomad
01-09-2012, 06:55 PM
A&M is just trying to score some cash off the Broncos before they become the bottom feeder of the SEC. They'll be lucky to make a bowl game for the next couple of seasons. Can't blame them. Aggies suck and always will sick. They will never be national championship contenders and losing Texas off their schedule really takes away their whole point for playing, which was to beat UT(and they couldn't even do that most of the time because they are pathetic). A&M sucks and most of their students and graduates are morons. This is just typical asinine behavior from them.

You and Orangehoof must get along great:lol:!

Von Miller is an A&M guy. It seems like the school would let it slide.

Ravage!!!
01-09-2012, 07:05 PM
Despite what you think should be the case, A&M DOES have a trademark on the phrase and are well within their rights to sue the Broncos for using it.

They may have the right to sue, but that doesn't mean they will win because I don't think they will be able to get a judge to uphold that trademark. Trademarks aren't a lock in stone purely because you own them, just like patents.

Ravage!!!
01-09-2012, 07:07 PM
A&M is just trying to score some cash off the Broncos before they become the bottom feeder of the SEC. They'll be lucky to make a bowl game for the next couple of seasons. Can't blame them. Aggies suck and always will suck. They will never be national championship contenders and losing Texas off their schedule really takes away their whole point for playing, which was to beat UT(and they couldn't even do that most of the time because they are pathetic). A&M sucks and most of their students and graduates are morons. This is just typical asinine behavior from them.

Its a way to advertise that they "copyrighted" the phrase :lol: Publicity through ass-holishness.

NightTerror218
01-09-2012, 07:16 PM
no NBA team or college trademarked the phrase "6th man"

sneakers
01-09-2012, 07:27 PM
LOL why dont we play Texas A&M and the winner of that game can keep the flag.

Ravage!!!
01-09-2012, 07:28 PM
no NBA team or college trademarked the phrase "6th man"

Better do it now while you can!

threefolddead
01-09-2012, 07:43 PM
What if Von Miller brings out the 12th man flag? I think it would be ok then

OrangeHoof
01-09-2012, 08:08 PM
We can just say Von gave us permission....

shank
01-09-2012, 09:26 PM
I'm going to trademark the term "texas a&m are a bunch of homos" and then sure everyone forever for saying it, cause they are and people will

BeefStew25
01-09-2012, 09:34 PM
12th Human

Problem solved, and we increase our bull dyke lesbian trucker market (KCL would then become a Bronco fan).

Nick
01-09-2012, 09:47 PM
I better hurry up and get 6th man copywrite if not taken and 13th man and 11th in case the future of football adds or drops the quantity of players on the field 30 years from now

Nick
01-09-2012, 09:49 PM
Or Broncos can copywrite "12th man and Texas A&M are gay" I remember back in the day Seattle and to go through this.

BroncoTech
01-09-2012, 09:54 PM
I think in order to successfully sue Texas A&M would have to prove that by the Broncos using the phrase it created confusion in the marketplace that hurt Texas A&M in some way. Also a trademark must show that it had the first use of the phrase, so any printed and dated material could show that T A&M wasn't actually the ones that used the phrase first. I doubt any of these end up in court and probably are settled out of court for little or no money.

OrangeHoof
01-09-2012, 10:19 PM
I'm going to trademark the term "texas a&m are a bunch of homos" and then sure everyone forever for saying it, cause they are and people will

I wonder if "eATMe" is copywritten because that's been seen around Austin for years.

Dzone
01-09-2012, 10:21 PM
This is a poor reflection on Texas AM. Like is everyone down their so petty and touchy and conceited? 12 th man is not the domain of Texas a and m. How ******* pathetic. Dont the morons at A & m have anything better to do?