PDA

View Full Version : Lost in the mix......Robert Ayers

DenBronx
01-09-2012, 12:54 PM
Just wanted to give this guy his credit. He was a key factor on defense last night with 2 sacks. I've seen him stuff the run several times through the year and he is always getting upfield and pressuring the QB. That creates havoc especially with Bunkley, Dume and Miller coming in hot.

I must say he is living up to that pick afterall.

Remember it was Mike Mayock who said in 2-3 years this kid might be the best defensive player in the draft. He hasnt got there yet but I think he is settleing in as a key component to our defense.

Army Bronco
01-09-2012, 01:05 PM
Thats because he played LB for two years and this year he is playing the line. Even if he played LB out of a 3 point stance he is still naturally better hitting the Oline in the mouth. Im happy for him and glad he is doing well. Im hoping we are really coming together to bring the Orange Crush:defense: back baby!!!!:salute:

wayninja
01-09-2012, 01:09 PM
He definitely had a big game, no doubt. He seems to steadily be getting better, hope he doesn't slide.

G_Money
01-09-2012, 01:10 PM
I have been an Ayers doubter since before we drafted him. I pretty much hate one-year wonders who only turn it on for draft positioning after ignoring their coaches in college the rest of the time and playing invisible ball.

But this year, with a good DL coach and a will to improve, I've been satisfied with Ayers. He's not a great player but I'll take a steady one who does his job and occasionally makes plays. It's far more than I thought he would be, even knowing it takes defensive linemen a few years to settle in, and more if they've been bounced to LB.

Congrats on your hard work this year, Mr. Ayers. It's paying off. :salute:

You can stay.

~G

NightTerror218
01-09-2012, 01:11 PM
People mentioned he could have a break out season returning to his natural position. He has been great against the run and had made plays all season but stepped up huge in this win.

Army Bronco
01-09-2012, 01:12 PM
Tell ya what, it also helps that Dumerville and Miller are applying pressure, but hey, he definitely kicked ass when it mattered!

SOCALORADO.
01-09-2012, 01:14 PM
Alot of folks played well yesterday.
Pitt did have alot of really important players injured on the sidelines though.
Thats always nice.
I will say that Ayers has steadily become a solid player over the course of the year.

VonSackemMiller
01-09-2012, 01:18 PM
Big dog rob is coming around i loved that bull rush pancaking the steelers OLinemen. that kind of pass rush can shoot confidence through a player.

pikkiwoki
01-09-2012, 01:20 PM
This was nasty

http://www.nfl.com/videos/denver-broncos/09000d5d825d4518/Broncos-defense-sack-9-yd-loss

Dapper Dan
01-09-2012, 01:20 PM
He was all over Roethlisberger yesterday.

NightTerror218
01-09-2012, 01:24 PM
Alot of folks played well yesterday.
Pitt did have alot of really important players injured on the sidelines though.
Thats always nice.
I will say that Ayers has steadily become a solid player over the course of the year.

They also had replacement play well. Like Their replacement for Pouncey held the middle, all pressure came from the sides and not middle. Their 1st round pick Hayward is good.

I think the game also had a mentality that they were going to win and did not have to push the limits of players. Play same to keep them healthy.

SOCALORADO.
01-09-2012, 01:31 PM
They also had replacement play well. Like Their replacement for Pouncey held the middle, all pressure came from the sides and not middle. Their 1st round pick Hayward is good.

I think the game also had a mentality that they were going to win and did not have to push the limits of players. Play same to keep them healthy.

Dude. They were missing alot of guys. Lets face it, they were banged up all over.
Hey! Thats playoff football and if thats there excuse, well too bad!!!
Kupes and Dawk were out, and DEN didnt miss a beat, so you gotta give credit to Russ and the rest of the team. They clearly wanted it more. Carter was outstanding at safety and desreves a freakin medal!
Plus any sane PITT fan knows damn well that even if they did move on to NE, they were toast. Just too many injuries, after the ass kickin DEN handed them.
Its better for a healthier, hungrier DEN to come in with alot of momentum and face NE.

NightTerror218
01-09-2012, 01:34 PM
Dude. They were missing alot of guys. Lets face it, they were banged up all over.
Hey! Thats playoff football and if thats there excuse, well too bad!!!
Kupe was out, and DEN didnt miss a beat, so you gotta give credit to Russ and the rest of the team. They clearly wanted it more.
Plus any sane PITT fan knows damn well that even if they did move on to NE, they were toast. Just too many injuries, after the ass kickin DEN handed them.
Its better for a healthier, hungrier DEN to come in with alot of momentum and face NE.

They were missing a lot of players but they also have great depth. Their DL still did not give up much rushing yards. They have younger players behind their older. But they need a replacement for Ike Taylor. He was owned one on one. Tebow also did great looking off Clarks replacement.

VonSackemMiller
We had the heart of our defense out, we had our best Guard out, Decker went out, von miller playing limited wit that thumb. but our guys stillw ent out there and put it on the line. the same people who picked the steelers picked the steelers knowing they were hobbled. So why does it matter that oh they were hurt after the fact? we were hurt, they were hurt, You go play the game. we won the game and it shouldnt have even been that close.

Day1BroncoFan
No body gave us a chance. Now that we won they say it's because putzburgh was to injured. They should have thought of that before we won.

Ayers and others stepped up and played to win. Good for them. Let them make excuses.

sneakers
01-09-2012, 01:39 PM
From what i have seen, he has been playing solidly all year long!

pikkiwoki
01-09-2012, 02:57 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Hc_d5_GGDaI/TwtGF1-EsRI/AAAAAAAAAEs/KfQ5Y8F67jE/s1600/ayers+sack.gif

:salute:

pikkiwoki
01-09-2012, 02:58 PM
^ looked like a runaway freight train on that play

Joel
01-09-2012, 02:58 PM
He had a great game, yeah; definitely demonstrating he's a far better DE than LB. We'll need that against NE, 'cos I still don't have much faith in our secondary, though Carter did step up Sunday.

Army Bronco
01-09-2012, 05:33 PM
Dont wanna stray to much from the topic but I just had a few conversations here at work about how people dont expect us to win. They would ask me " You really think Denver has a chance against NE?" Of course I do, and Im glad that people dont think so because if they lose no one expected them to win and if they win they shock everybody. No one expected Ayers or the Defense to hold their own this last game nor this game. So queue the dramatic movie music....

igoe4broncos
01-09-2012, 05:54 PM
Great to see him finally living up to the hype. He's been a boss lately.

blamkin86
01-09-2012, 06:08 PM
Yeah, great post - well deserved - congrats and I do agree he's starting to come on.

I love how Rothlesburger looks back at him like " who the hell is that ?"

MileHighCrew
01-09-2012, 06:33 PM
If he can keep developing with Von and Doom the D could be great

Nick
01-09-2012, 06:35 PM
This year it felt like a fluke when I saw him or getting to the QB. He has been consistently not giving up and played great this year.

Now put Brady down 2 times. :beer:

SmilinAssasSin27
01-09-2012, 06:39 PM
My intent when getting on tonight was to do this thread. Nice work. I may be a Vol homer, but dude is improving each week. Takes a lot of pressure off of the LBs. Also makes drafting easier knowing that he can be counted on.

DenBronx
01-10-2012, 12:51 AM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Hc_d5_GGDaI/TwtGF1-EsRI/AAAAAAAAAEs/KfQ5Y8F67jE/s1600/ayers+sack.gif

:salute:

That was beast mode. Tossed Starks like a ragdoll and still got the sack!

I dunno guys....Bunkley, Thomas, Ayers and Dume on the line and I am feeling pretty good about next year.

topscribe
01-10-2012, 01:23 AM
Here is a great piece on Ayers. Very insightful, explains his value to this defense:

Robert Ayers? He had 709 snaps and two whole missed tackles. Despite the other controversial things that go on with the Broncos, Robert Ayers may be one of the most controversial players on the Broncos right now. Life's full of things I don't understand so there are no worries there, but I was reminded of how odd I found the issue this past week.

I had a strange moment a few weeks back, and I started the background notes on this article about then. I’d been lurking, sitting in and watching a thread for a while, when I realized that I’ve never sat through a full game thread where someone didn’t claim that Robert Ayers was a total bust and that Denver should either cut or trade him for a low round pick because that’s what you do with 1st-round busts. It’s kind of wild, even leaving aside the erratic strangeness of that theory on personnel management. Happily, there’s lots of film and there are some legitimate stats. Since they happen to say the same thing, let’s look at both.

You see, I just happened to see one of those comments during the Chicago game, which started the notes for this article. Ironically, it was posted moments just after Ayers had been lined up on the left tackle - they like to move him around quite a bit, and he may be in either as LDE, RDE, or either DT slot, depending on the matchup. He came in, firing off the snap - and he’s always been able to create an advantage with his first step - and gained position on the left tackle (the left guard was pulling to the weakside (9) technique to try and create a lane for the RB); used his hands perfectly and moved almost effortlessly across the tackle’s face to the weakside, just as the running back - Marion Barber, who had one of those games that ensures a few nights of staring at the ceiling - tried to cut up through the gap that had been there a millisecond prior.

Ayers used his continuing movement to the right to grab Barber and wrap him up, rolling Barber over and down, with Ayers spinning his own body, rotating counterclockwise and using his athletic momentum to roll Barber over his body and pounding him down into the turf. It was as athletic a tackle as I recall seeing from a DE, and strikingly similar to a judo throw that my own professor, who had more black belts than I have fingers, had used me as a tackling dummy for many, many times. As the RB slammed into the ground, I was caught by the dichotomy between the comment I’d just read and the reality that had just unfolded in front of me. The truth is often what the opposites have in common. Yet this time, I wasn’t sure that there was a lot of strength to one side of the argument as our news outlets want to feed us. An announcement by one political party that the earth was flat would garner the two sides of the debate on CNN, Authorities Disagree on Earth’s Shape. Sometimes there isn’t an equal second side. It seems that we’re so afraid of offending anyone that the emperor has no clothes - and no one will tell him so. If you’re sure that Robert Ayers is lousy, check with your tailor. You may be light a few garments.

This is but a portion of the blog entry. Much more about Ayers by Doc Bear at It's All Over, Fat Man (http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/broncos/entry/monday-musings-denver-robert-ayers-and-value).

PAINTERDAVE
01-10-2012, 03:39 AM
People mentioned he could have a break out season returning to his natural position. He has been great against the run and had made plays all season but stepped up huge in this win.

I for one kinda gave up on him..
even in camp this year.. and early on....
I know I posted that he would not do much.

TOP.. you called me on the carpet for my view..

YOU WERE RIGHT!

I will happily eat crow. :D

Jsteve01
01-10-2012, 08:28 AM
I wanted start this thread as well. People just don't recognize the little things he does. He sets the edge in the run game better than any of our ends. And benefitting from doom and Von? Guess who's locking down opposing linemen to free Von to make plays. Rob is a silent assassin

Chef Zambini
01-10-2012, 08:43 AM
its nice to be COMPELLED to salute POSITIVE comments about ayers!
the word BUST was used as a discriptor more often for ayers than for dolly parton.
Hope to see more pancake bull rushers,
BEFORE I was using PANCAKE in a far less flattering gardner referance.
another win this week, I will have to look up more crow recipes!

Jsteve01
01-10-2012, 12:04 PM
Robert Ayers is one of my favorite Broncos. I follow him on twitter and he's one of the more genuine guys you'll find. Even responds to my tweets occasionally. Im just happy for the kid

VonSackemMiller
01-10-2012, 02:30 PM
^ looked like a runaway freight train on that play

i think we s hould call big dog rob triple 7 if hes going to be pancaking olinemen like that.

TXBRONC
01-10-2012, 02:35 PM
There's no denying Ayers had a very good game. I hope he can do the same thing against the Patriots.