PDA

View Full Version : Free agency, rebuilding on the clock

Denver Native (Carol)
02-26-2009, 10:17 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11786923

Minute by minute, the digital clocks in Broncoland will flip.

At 10 p.m., the TV anchors will begin reporting what is likely the most incendiary event of the day.

At the darkened headquarters of Dove Valley, Broncos coach Josh McDaniels and general manager Brian Xanders probably won't be watching.

Flip. At 10:01 MST tonight, McDaniels and Xanders can begin rebuilding the disaster that was the 2008 Broncos' defense.

They can switch from the 4-3 to the 3-4 or bring back the 46, for all it really matters. Football arithmetic is the one subject in which numbers by themselves never add up. Not without players they don't.

If the Broncos are going to end their three-year playoff drought, they're going to need players. And not just defensive players.

"There's a big focus on the defense, but to me, every player that we bring in is going to help us in some capacity," McDaniels said Friday in Indianapolis. "Our offense needs to improve. Our defense needs to improve. Our special teams need to improve, and we need to improve significantly in all three areas. We didn't make the playoffs, and there is always a reason for that. It's not all the players' fault, but we're going to try to mold the roster and make it the most competitive we can at every spot."

One offensive player the Broncos might pursue is Tampa Bay receiver Michael Clayton. The 15th draft pick in 2004, Clayton had a splendid rookie season, but he has been a disappointment since. Then again, if Clayton were coming off a Pro Bowl season, he probably would command a contract outside the Broncos' price range.

The Broncos have more than $30 million in cap room, but they also need up to eight free agents. It's why they may not be players for St. Louis cornerback Ron Bartell. Should Bartell hit the free market tonight, it may take a five-year, $40 million contract with an $18 million guarantee to get him.

This has caused the Broncos to lower their sights, possibly to Tampa Bay's Phillip Buchanon, providing he doesn't re-sign with the Buccaneers before the free-agent deadline. Not that Buchanon would come cheap.

"The goal isn't to have everybody be at a smaller salary," McDaniels said. "It's making sure to get the players there that are going to fit the system, that you've placed a solid value on them and that they perform at that level."

As the events Wednesday reminded, free agency is a fluid process. Clayton may have interested the Broncos last week, but the team may have taken another look Wednesday after such proven receivers as Drew Bennett, Joey Galloway and Laveranues Coles were released to the market.

With McDaniels bringing his spread offense from New England to the Rocky Mountains, the Broncos can no longer be caught with Glenn Martinez as one of their two healthy receivers, as was the case late in the Jacksonville game last season.

Adding a receiver could allow Eddie Royal to move to the slot position where New England's Wes Welker hauled in a combined 223 passes the past two years. That may be a too rigorous workload for Broncos' veteran slot man Brandon Stokley, who instead could utilize his versatility as a No. 4 receiver.

The Broncos also could seek a running back and backup quarterback in free agency. On defense, the Broncos must find at least one starting safety and inside linebacker. Gibril Wilson, Brian Dawkins, James Sanders, Jermaine Phillips, Mike Brown and Sean Jones are part of a strong safety class. Monty Beisel, Andra Davis and Mike Peterson are among the veteran inside linebackers.

There are many players to choose from. The recent past suggests the Broncos need their share.

Time to buy

The Broncos can begin signing free agents tonight when the NFL market opens at 10:01 p.m. MST. NFL reporter Mike Klis analyzes six free agents who could help the Broncos fill needs without blowing their budget:

Michael Clayton: WR, Buccaneers

Rookie year: 80 catches, 1,193 yards. Average of next 4 years: 31 catches, 378 yards.

Maurice Morris: RB, Seahawks

Primarily a third-down back who averaged 602 yards rushing the past three seasons.

Bryant McFadden: CB, Steelers

A starting cornerback may be the first to come off the Broncos' free-agent board.

Phillip Buchanon: CB, Buccaneers

Another option if McFadden doesn't pan out. Started 16 games last season; had two interceptions and a TD.

Mike Wright: NT, Patriots

A part-timer and overachiever would be valued as a student-teacher of 3-4 techniques.

Clark Haggans: DE-OLB, Cardinals

Former Colorado State and Steelers pass-rushing force was a desert disappointment last season.

Buff
02-26-2009, 11:20 AM
The fins signed Gibril Wilson, meaning Yeremiah Bell is going to sign somewhere else. I think he'd be a good pickup for us.

Superchop 7
02-26-2009, 11:33 AM
I would not go FA at safety and linebacker.

I would definately go CB and d-line.

DenBronx
02-26-2009, 11:33 AM
The fins signed Gibril Wilson, meaning Yeremiah Bell is going to sign somewhere else. I think he'd be a good pickup for us.

thats what happens when we sit around and wait forever. wilson would have been a great pickup for us. im pissed.

TXBRONC
02-26-2009, 11:44 AM

I thought Yeremiah Bell was either close to or had already signed a new deal with the Dolphins?

TXBRONC
02-26-2009, 11:46 AM
thats what happens when we sit around and wait forever. wilson would have been a great pickup for us. im pissed.

Thankfully he's not the only fish in the sea.

DenBronx
02-26-2009, 11:52 AM
Thankfully he's not only fish in the sea.

no but he was a pretty big fish. wilson i think was cheaper to the fins than bell. now we have to find a second tier strong safety like sharper.

turftoad
02-26-2009, 11:53 AM
My #1 FA is Saftey Sean Jones. He's good. He can play. He won't break the bank.

DenBronx
02-26-2009, 11:56 AM
My #1 FA is Saftey Sean Jones. He's good. He can play. He won't break the bank.

sean jones is a free safety. although we need both fs & ss our bigger need is strong safety.

turftoad
02-26-2009, 12:00 PM
sean jones is a free safety. although we need both fs & ss our bigger need is strong safety.

We NEED both.

Buff
02-26-2009, 12:06 PM
I thought Yeremiah Bell was either close to or had already signed a new deal with the Dolphins?

I thought so too, and maybe he still will, but they just resigned Crowder, and I took the Wilson signing to be writing on the wall that they're going to let Bell walk.

underrated29
02-26-2009, 12:11 PM
thats great....bell, bartrell/mcfadden, and canty or tank...I just have a feeling we are going to see all or most of them..

+ galloway or clayton--not too shabby.

Not all great prospects, but better than the crap we have brought in lately. mcree, manuel, niko,--those guys just flat out suck...

The above mentioned are not game breakers, but can help improve the team even if ever so slightly.

bcbronc
02-26-2009, 01:14 PM
all things considered, this has to be the most exciting UFA period in years. new regime, tons of cap space, tons of holes. yee-haw!

broncohead
02-26-2009, 01:16 PM
I would not go FA at safety and linebacker.

I would definately go CB and d-line.

There is a much stronger CB and safety FA class then DL and LB. I think we would be better off going that route and signing stop gaps at DL and LB and draft at those positions.

Drill-N-Fill
02-26-2009, 01:38 PM

Im really high on Bell. He been slowed by injuries in the past, but the kid can play. I really hope we can make a run at him. He wouldn't cost too much either.

Gamechanger
02-26-2009, 01:40 PM
you guys can add Dom Rhodes on there also...he's a reliable runner still

turftoad
02-26-2009, 01:40 PM
Im really high on Bell. He been slowed by injuries in the past, but the kid can play. I really hope we can make a run at him. He wouldn't cost too much either.

He'll bring plenty. He's one of the top safteys in FA.

Slick
02-26-2009, 02:29 PM

How did the Dolphins sign Gibril? I thought they had to wait until midnight. I must be missing something.

Lonestar
02-26-2009, 03:21 PM
How did the Dolphins sign Gibril? I thought they had to wait until midnight. I must be missing something.

he was released from OAK and therefore free to to sign anywhere..

broncohead
02-26-2009, 05:13 PM
Dolphins agreed to terms with SS Yeremiah Bell on a four-year, $20 million contract. The deal includes $10 million in guarantees.

rotoworld

Cheez Whiz
02-26-2009, 05:53 PM
I would like for us to take a look at Gabe Watson. He is a 3-4 NT and is still young (25).

The Cardinals extended a second-round tender ($1.545 million) to restricted free agent NT Gabe Watson. Watson played extensively in 2008, but never passed Bryan Robinson on the depth chart. With few inspiring 3-4 nose tackles in this year's draft, Watson could draw some interest. He'd cost a second-round pick and a contract.

2nd? Yeah, i'd do it.

broncohead
02-26-2009, 06:03 PM
I would like for us to take a look at Gabe Watson. He is a 3-4 NT and is still young (25).

The Cardinals extended a second-round tender ($1.545 million) to restricted free agent NT Gabe Watson. Watson played extensively in 2008, but never passed Bryan Robinson on the depth chart. With few inspiring 3-4 nose tackles in this year's draft, Watson could draw some interest. He'd cost a second-round pick and a contract.

2nd? Yeah, i'd do it.

I don't know much about him but if he could be a solid starter in the 3-4 then I would say yes. It's to hard to find a strating DT or NT in the NFL and getting one for a 2nd is a bargin imo.

dogfish
02-26-2009, 06:09 PM
chris canty
igor olshansky
jermaine phillips
sean jones
bryant mcfadden
phillip buchanon
colin cole
leigh bodden
dj hackett
shaun macdonald

that's my target list. . . .

if they spend so much as the veteran minimum to bring in worthless chodes like monty beisel just to fill holes, i swear i am going to break something. . . . :lol:

Lonestar
02-26-2009, 06:11 PM

2nd? Yeah, i'd do it.

rather not pay big for someone that is a BACKUP do not need Niko II

and give up as #2 not only NO but HELL NO.....

SmilinAssasSin27
02-26-2009, 06:28 PM

They resigned Bell also.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-26-2009, 06:30 PM
Eh...a #2 for Watson? Backed into a corner, I'd probably do it...pending on the $$ he asks for.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-26-2009, 06:31 PM
Canty, McFadden, Wright, Sean Jones, Dom Rhodes

underrated29
02-26-2009, 06:33 PM
Canty, McFadden, Wright, Sean Jones, Dom Rhodes

I like this list. but i would rather have Fred Taylor then Dom rhodes....

I think Fred has some gas left for one last hoorah- but it has to be the right team. i think we could be it.

Lonestar
02-26-2009, 06:35 PM
Eh...a #2 for Watson? Backed into a corner, I'd probably do it...pending on the $$ he asks for.

Your OK giving a really big contract and a Number 2 pick in this years draft for a back up NT from the cardinals.. I'll pass..

Rather build via the draft..

No more Chodes

No More Chodes

NO more Chodes

No more Chodes

No More Chodes

NO more Chodes

OMorange&blue
02-26-2009, 06:47 PM
Choad.:coffee:

SmilinAssasSin27
02-26-2009, 06:52 PM
Your OK giving a really big contract and a Number 2 pick in this years draft for a back up NT from the cardinals.. I'll pass..

Rather build via the draft..

No more Chodes

No More Chodes

NO more Chodes

No more Chodes

No More Chodes

NO more Chodes

So what if he didn't "start"? He played an awful lot and was the dominant force whe the team needed it most. He was nasty in the playoffs and the SB. A backup on a SB team can still be pretty damn good....and if you actually read my post, I said I didn't want to break the bank if he'll cost a #2.

Lonestar
02-26-2009, 07:20 PM
So what if he didn't "start"? He played an awful lot and was the dominant force whe the team needed it most. He was nasty in the playoffs and the SB. A backup on a SB team can still be pretty damn good....and if you actually read my post, I said I didn't want to break the bank if he'll cost a #2.

do you honestly think he will not cost a ton?

Made one tackle in the SB..

15 solo and 5 assisted tackles all year.. one sack..

Played in 11 games but started all 16 in 2006 when he had a whooping 34 total tackles..

Sorry not impressed rather spend the money on a rookie..
and keep the Number 2 good chance Brace is around for that one..

I'll pass