PDA

View Full Version : Baileys play on ball

Dzone
01-09-2012, 10:34 AM
That play by Bailey was critical...anybody got a video of that?
Bailey is such an athlete. That play was amazing and game saving.

shank
01-09-2012, 10:36 AM
it was a great play, damn i wish he could have held on to the ball.

camdisco24
01-09-2012, 10:40 AM
Champ wants IT. He is so important to this defense, even when he's having a quieter year. He came up HUGE yesterday when it counted. I'll keep an eye out for a vid of that play. I'm sure it will be posted eventually.

Mike
01-09-2012, 10:42 AM
I admit that I had flashbacks of the outcome of the 06 dropped INT when he dropped that pass in the endzone. But that tipped pass was huge and a great play.

MOtorboat
01-09-2012, 10:47 AM
I'd have to see it again, but I'm almost positive Bailey was playing an underneath zone, and just recognized the play and came out of nowhere to save the game...

Thnikkaman
01-09-2012, 10:49 AM
If in the very unlikely chance we win the Superbowl this year, I need to hear the phrase,
"This One's For Champ!!!"

SOCALORADO.
01-09-2012, 10:50 AM
I'd have to see it again, but I'm almost positive Bailey was playing an underneath zone, and just recognized the play and came out of nowhere to save the game...

He was covering his guy on the outside, broke off him just before Ben threw it, and came across to make the play.

Folks here are clamouring for Champ to move to FS, and he easily could do it.

BroncoJoe
01-09-2012, 10:50 AM

That's exactly what happened. When I saw the ball in the air, I thought "oh shit!" and Baily seemingly came out of nowhere to swat it away.

CrazyHorse
01-09-2012, 10:55 AM
If in the very unlikely chance we win the Superbowl this year, I need to hear the phrase,
"This One's For Champ!!!"

And Dawkins. He hasn't been a Bronco for a long time but deserves a ring too.

MileHighCrew
01-09-2012, 11:31 AM
That was a huge play, saved the game for sure

Northman
01-09-2012, 12:25 PM
His tip pass was awesome and he should of had the INT which was a killer. He gets that and there is no need for OT heriocs methinks.

NightTerror218
01-09-2012, 12:34 PM
He was covering his guy on the outside, broke off him just before Ben threw it, and came across to make the play.

Folks here are clamouring for Champ to move to FS, and he easily could do it.

Rather him stay at CB, he shut down Wallace and made other plays on other WRs He is just that good.

Ravage!!!
01-09-2012, 12:37 PM
Bailey made a sick play on that ball. But I think its time he move to safety.

HammeredOut
01-09-2012, 12:52 PM
Champ Bailey's hit on M.Wallace that was not ruled a fumble was because what I think, a Champ Bailey early celebration and he quit on the play, calling for the crowd to roar. While this was going on, I believe the ref took there eyes off the play, and watched Bailey. Then the fumble was picked up, but the whistle was already blown. Which I believe was because of an early Champ celebration. If Champ would have went after the fumble, and not down field celebrating, we might have had a TD, and the game would have never went to OT.

Ravage!!!
01-09-2012, 12:54 PM
Champ Bailey's hit on M.Wallace that was not ruled a fumble was because what I think, a Champ Bailey early celebration and he quit on the play, calling for the crowd to roar. While this was going on, I believe the ref took there eyes off the play, and watched Bailey. Then the fumble was picked up, but the whistle was already blown. Which I believe was because of an early Champ celebration. If Champ would have went after the fumble, and not down field celebrating, we might have had a TD, and the game would have never went to OT.

absolutely ridiculous.

wayninja
01-09-2012, 12:54 PM

There is no way champ would have gotten that ball after flattening his man. He did his job and the ref didn't, simple as that.

Ravage!!!
01-09-2012, 12:56 PM
There is no way champ would have gotten that ball after flattening his man. He did his job and the ref didn't, simple as that.

I guess he believes that the refs have never seen any kind of celebration before, and simply HAD to watch champ! :lol: :lol:

rcsodak
01-09-2012, 01:49 PM
I guess he believes that the refs have never seen any kind of celebration before, and simply HAD to watch champ! :lol: :lol:
:lol:

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

sneakers
01-09-2012, 02:05 PM
Hey! This thread isnt about Tebow!

:throwrock:

HammeredOut
01-09-2012, 02:26 PM

Watch the play.

A vet like Champ should have known better to celebrate early "BEFORE" the play was finished. Champ didn't do his job, if he celebrated early before the fumble was picked up. Why was Champs eyes looking up field into the endzone, with his hands up in the air, 20 yards away from where he made the play. Then the fumble gets picked up, and the play is over. If Champ would have made the hit, then went straight to the ball, I think the play would have resumed.

The Ref did miss the play, but they took there eyes off the play and watched Champ celebrate. It was a late whistle after the hit, check it again. NFL.com has good tape on the play.

HammeredOut
01-09-2012, 02:31 PM
http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2012010800/2011/POST18/steelers@broncos#menu=highlights&tab=recap

3rd quarter.

HammeredOut
01-09-2012, 02:34 PM

as Champ forces a fumble on M.Wallace, Champ even looks at the ball in mid - air, as it is just inches from him, but he chooses to celebrate before the play is over.

I don't think celebrating before a play is over is necessary.

HammeredOut
01-09-2012, 02:41 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fZCCAqoSwY

As you can see, some other plays of early celebration.

Bandmembers getting blocked downfield.

Dapper Dan
01-09-2012, 02:46 PM
What's the point of blaming the refs botched call on Champ Bailey?

shank
01-09-2012, 03:03 PM

Bandmembers getting blocked downfield.

bro, eat a big sandwich or a steak. anything that busies both your hands and keeps you from typing.

wayninja
01-09-2012, 03:41 PM
Watch the play.

A vet like Champ should have known better to celebrate early "BEFORE" the play was finished. Champ didn't do his job, if he celebrated early before the fumble was picked up. Why was Champs eyes looking up field into the endzone, with his hands up in the air, 20 yards away from where he made the play. Then the fumble gets picked up, and the play is over. If Champ would have made the hit, then went straight to the ball, I think the play would have resumed.

The Ref did miss the play, but they took there eyes off the play and watched Champ celebrate. It was a late whistle after the hit, check it again. NFL.com has good tape on the play.

Watch the play.

Champ is nowhere near being the closest to the ball after putting a lick on the receiver and his momentum is carrying him away from the ball.

Also, as soon as the ball hit the ground, the whistle blew. Champ heard it, there was no reason (in both actuality and in your hypothetical) for him to go back to it.

Champed forced a fumble and our guy recovered. Not sure how you can claim he didn't do his job. Very odd.

He was celebrating because he made a great play. I was celebrating too. Even if the whistle hadn't blown and champ tried to come back for it, there was at least 2 other guys that would have beat him to it.

shank
01-09-2012, 03:44 PM
did champ say something mean about indians or something? is it cause he started his career with the redskins?

jhildebrand
01-09-2012, 03:59 PM
HO, your assertion is silly. The bottom line is the side judge needed to swallow his whistle and recognize the play as a lateral and backwards pass. This is the PO's and that kind of elementary mistake shouldnt have happened!

Also, I thought the Hochuli rule addressed this. Even if a whistle is blown/pass ruled incomplete it could be reviewed.

wayninja
01-09-2012, 04:16 PM
HO, your assertion is silly. The bottom line is the side judge needed to swallow his whistle and recognize the play as a lateral and backwards pass. This is the PO's and that kind of elementary mistake shouldnt have happened!

Also, I thought the Hochuli rule addressed this. Even if a whistle is blown/pass ruled incomplete it could be reviewed.

No, for whatever reason, in their infinite wisdom, Laterals are specifically excluded from the Hochuli rule. No idea why that was thought to be a good idea.

Chef Zambini
01-09-2012, 04:43 PM
"This One's For Champ!!!"not gonna happen! more likely
this ones for TIM !
or this ones for PAT
or this ones from JESUS !
dependiong on who holds the trophy.
Unlioke most bronco fans i do not hang off champs jock-strap. but yesterday he played an outstanding game ! the near miss of an INT in the end-zone and the exceptional tip of the pass at the end of regulation ! BTW it was almost tipped into the hands of another steeler receiver who then would have easily scored.
Champ, great game, I salute your effort !

Chef Zambini
01-09-2012, 04:47 PM

Bandmembers getting blocked downfield.champ is notorious for celebrating early and enjoying the view of himself on the 'jumbotron"
I met champ his ego is huge, bordering ludicrous ! But yeasterday he played a great game and the botched lateral call by the nrefs has NOTHING to do with champ !

refs stunk, doesnt matter what kind of cologne champ was wearing !

Elevation inc
01-09-2012, 05:06 PM
Watch the play.

vonsackem would like to formally welcome you to his dooshbag clique.....:coffee:

get a grip dude seriously....the shit i see here sometimes.....

MOtorboat
01-09-2012, 06:32 PM
champ is notorious for celebrating early and enjoying the view of himself on the 'jumbotron"
I met champ his ego is huge, bordering ludicrous ! But yeasterday he played a great game and the botched lateral call by the nrefs has NOTHING to do with champ !

refs stunk, doesnt matter what kind of cologne champ was wearing !

LMAO. I forgot about your Champ hate from one five second interaction 8 years ago, or whatever it was...maybe the dude had a bad day, everyone does...

Ravage!!!
01-09-2012, 06:37 PM
LMAO. I forgot about your Champ hate from one five second interaction 8 years ago, or whatever it was...maybe the dude had a bad day, everyone does...

Or maybe Champ just didn't like him.

EVERYTHING I've seen of Champ does NOT p oint to a guy that is "over celebratory" and "over egoed." Quite the contrary. This poster is puking out some sour grapes. I'm guessing he didn't get something autographed?

Slick
01-09-2012, 06:44 PM
I want him playing safety next year
(Said this about 2 years ago too). He is the only secondary player we have with any ball skills, and we know he still can cover any TE in the league.

He played a solid game yesterday for sure.

Buff
01-09-2012, 06:45 PM
I want him playing safety next year
(Said this about 2 years ago too). He is the only secondary player we have with any ball skills, and we know he still can cover any TE in the league.

He played a solid game yesterday for sure.

I think he's more valuable as a DB right now and until his man to man skills diminish I think we should let him be our lockdown corner. The move to safety is usually for guys who have lost a step. Bailey doesn't appear to have slowed down.

MOtorboat
01-09-2012, 06:51 PM
I think he's more valuable as a DB right now and until his man to man skills diminish I think we should let him be our lockdown corner. The move to safety is usually for guys who have lost a step. Bailey doesn't appear to have slowed down.

I've never understood the idea of moving a player to another position, trying to fix a hole at a position that isn't as important as the position said player plays, when said player can still play the more important position at a high level...

Ravage!!!
01-09-2012, 06:52 PM
Bailey's man skill have diminished. Lets face it, he was beaten badly last week by Bowe, and the Steelers went right after him early with Wallace (and Champ was beaten if Roth wasn't throwing from one foot).

Champ still has skills, but his speed and quickness just aren't the same and he's getting beat because he doesn't have the make-up speed he used to have to play the way he does.

However at safety, where it more about breaking TO the ball instead of running to keep up with the guys on the outside, he would hawk.

Ravage!!!
01-09-2012, 06:53 PM
I've never understood the idea of moving a player to another position, trying to fix a hole at a position that isn't as important as the position said player plays, when said player can still play the more important position at a high level...

But safety is more important than corner.

Slick
01-09-2012, 06:54 PM
Cant argue with that Buff, but if we could sign a solid veteran cb in free agency and draft another, i'd start those two guys along with Harris and let Champ play centerfield.

I think he'd average 7-10 interceptions a year playing centerfield.

MOtorboat
01-09-2012, 06:55 PM
But safety is more important than corner.

I disagree. So do NFL GMs.

Slick
01-09-2012, 06:55 PM
Thinking the same thing. Well said Rav.

Ravage!!!
01-09-2012, 06:58 PM
I disagree. So do NFL GMs.

NOT TRUE at all Mo. Safety ABSOLUTELY is more important than corners, and GMs have shown this to be true. THey will MUCH rather draft a top safety in the draft over a top corner, and you can't tell me that guys like those in Pitt and Balitmore aren't more important to the team than their corners.

Hell, when talking not long ago with coaches about what it would take to "rebuild" defenses if starting from scratch, and picking players from around the league as to whom to pick first to build around.. MLB was first, and Safety was third behind a stud DE.

Magnificent Seven
01-09-2012, 07:00 PM
Eric Decker is out. Champ Bailey could play on offense? Any chance? That would be fun.

Just like Deion Sanders. He was a DB and WR with the 49ers.

Ravage!!!
01-09-2012, 07:02 PM
Eric Decker is out. Champ Bailey could play on offense? Any chance? That would be fun.

Just like Deion Sanders. He was a DB and WR with the 49ers.

Champ played WR a bit when in Washington, and I believe SHanahan used him as a WR early in Denver (not much, but for some plays in that first year or so).

Nomad
01-09-2012, 07:08 PM
Champ is too important on defense to think of using him as a WO. I'm sure he could do it.

MOtorboat
01-09-2012, 07:08 PM
NOT TRUE at all Mo. Safety ABSOLUTELY is more important than corners, and GMs have shown this to be true. THey will MUCH rather draft a top safety in the draft over a top corner, and you can't tell me that guys like those in Pitt and Balitmore aren't more important to the team than their corners.

Hell, when talking not long ago with coaches about what it would take to "rebuild" defenses if starting from scratch, and picking players from around the league as to whom to pick first to build around.. MLB was first, and Safety was third behind a stud DE.

Follow the money. Cornerbacks are routinely paid more.

Quarterback
Pass Rusher/Left Tackle
Cornerback

Ravage!!!
01-09-2012, 07:21 PM
Follow the money. Cornerbacks are routinely paid more.

Quarterback
Pass Rusher/Left Tackle
Cornerback

Fair enough. I'll just go by what the coaches say they want to build around rather than what they get paid. Going by that reasoning alone, I guess we can say that the NFL considers Bradford the 2nd best QB in the country, Vick the 4th, and Sanchez the top 5 QB.

Although I absolutely see what you are saying as to how GMs "value" the position, payscale doesn't necessarily tell the story as to what a team would want to build around.

MOtorboat
01-09-2012, 07:24 PM
Fair enough. I'll just go by what the coaches say they want to build around rather than what they get paid. Going by that reasoning alone, I guess we can say that the NFL considers Bradford the 2nd best QB in the country, Vick the 4th, and Sanchez the top 5 QB.

Although I absolutely see what you are saying as to how GMs "value" the position, payscale doesn't necessarily tell the story as to what a team would want to build around.

You have to look at salary, not bonuses. When you look at the top salaries in the game, it's those four positions.

Of course, it's also about how you develop your team. In the last eight years, 3-4 nose tackles have entered into the picture too.

Baltimore and Pittsburgh did develop their defenses differently, with an up the middle philosophy rather than a traditional pass-rusher/cornerback philosophy. And, with their success, you certainly can make that argument.

Ravage!!!
01-09-2012, 07:31 PM
You have to look at salary, not bonuses. When you look at the top salaries in the game, it's those four positions.

Of course, it's also about how you develop your team. In the last eight years, 3-4 nose tackles have entered into the picture too.

Baltimore and Pittsburgh did develop their defenses differently, with an up the middle philosophy rather than a traditional pass-rusher/cornerback philosophy. And, with their success, you certainly can make that argument.

Not to mention, you can't take the uprise of position due to the change in rules, out of consideration. Corners had always been the 'premiere' guy to stop the pass, yet because of the rule changes, safeties are being much more relied on to help with defending over the top since corners can't seem to get NEAR the WRs anymore.

At the same time, considering the rule changes, top corners may demand even more money because they can play around the ticky-tacky calls.

Slick
01-09-2012, 07:34 PM
That's how I like it Mo. I don't mind that we have our two pass rushers first, but we have to shore up the middle too. The good d's in the league are strong at dt,mlb, and safety.

MOtorboat
01-09-2012, 07:36 PM
That's how I like it Mo. I don't mind that we have our two pass rushers first, but we have to shore up the middle too. The good d's in the league are strong at dt,mlb, and safety.

It's been a change in philosophy a little over the last 10 years, but I'd rather leave a shutdown corner at corner and continue to try to find a ballhawks safety to complement him and a mean son of a bitch at MLB.

Ravage!!!
01-09-2012, 07:39 PM

I was hoping Mays could do the job. But several plays against Pitt, he took himself out of the play with BAD angles and BAD lane filling. Something you would expect your MLB to do well.

I personally put MLB at the top of my list of players needed, and would absolutely LOVE a guy we can have as the QB of our defense. The difference it makes to a defense to have that studness up the middle, coming from MLB to safety, to me is unmatched.

But with Champ and watching him this season, I just feel his quick feet has lost a step. It's been really exposed this season (although, the play last night against that one pass was just absolutely ELITE play...but a play he could make a lot from safety). Put an "urlacher" in front of Champ as he plays FS, and this defense takes on a WHOLE new look that just makes me giggle.

Ravage!!!
01-09-2012, 07:42 PM
I think of it like this. With Champ at corner, he's to one side of the field and used to not be tested at all (now he is quite frequently against speedy guys).

In the middle, his ball hawking and ability to diagnose plays could allow him to travel both sides of the field and go after those INTs. Champ has GREAT hands, something you need from a FS (although he certainly didn't show it on that one play).

It just seems that Champ is an ideal FS at this point of his career.

BroncoNut
01-09-2012, 07:46 PM
oh brother here we go. Mr. Know it all Mo.

MOtorboat
01-09-2012, 07:49 PM
oh brother here we go. Mr. Know it all Mo.

Go back to the lounge, nut.

Slick
01-09-2012, 08:10 PM
It's been a change in philosophy a little over the last 10 years, but I'd rather leave a shutdown corner at corner and continue to try to find a ballhawks safety to complement him and a mean son of a bitch at MLB.

I definitely can't argue that line of thinking, not what I selfishly want. I agree that Champ is more than capable of playing corner at a high level for a couple years still, I just think he'd have a chance to make wayyyyyy more plays at safety than he does now at corner, and he still has all the tools to play centerfield and also still is a sure tackler. If Doom and Miller stay on schedule next year, an elite corner isn't as valuable to us as a ball hawking free safety, able to shut down those safety valve throws and TE's. In my most humblest of opinions.

I was hoping Mays could do the job. But several plays against Pitt, he took himself out of the play with BAD angles and BAD lane filling. Something you would expect your MLB to do well.

I personally put MLB at the top of my list of players needed, and would absolutely LOVE a guy we can have as the QB of our defense. The difference it makes to a defense to have that studness up the middle, coming from MLB to safety, to me is unmatched.

But with Champ and watching him this season, I just feel his quick feet has lost a step. It's been really exposed this season (although, the play last night against that one pass was just absolutely ELITE play...but a play he could make a lot from safety). Put an "urlacher" in front of Champ as he plays FS, and this defense takes on a WHOLE new look that just makes me giggle.

Agreed on Mays and severe need at MLB. Bunkley has kept Mays pretty clean yet he still has made too few plays. BIG TIME need next year.

Champ at free safety would have me sporting serious wood, but I also wouldn't complain if he stayed right where he is. It's just that we've tried S via free agency already and in the draft and none of those guys are capable of being the type of playmaker I think Champ would be at safety.

HORSEPOWER 56
01-09-2012, 08:14 PM
Watch the play.

The play was long over. Champ celebrated because the whistle had blown. The linesman blew it dead the SECOND the ball hit the ground. Champ heard the whistle and celebrated the hit. Dumervil recovered what should've been ruled a fumble, but due to another BS rule technicality we got jobbed by over-officious refs...

Tebowtime2011
01-09-2012, 08:37 PM
That play by Bailey was critical...anybody got a video of that?
Bailey is such an athlete. That play was amazing and game saving. Plus he shut mike wallace down the entire game who had only 3 catches and you need to give it up to the rookie safety quintin carter he had an interception and 5 tackles who was replacing brian dawkins and was making key tackles and big plays out there

BroncoNut
01-09-2012, 09:38 PM
what's the difference between a free safety and the other safety (strong)? confuses me because I've seen blacks play both positions.

BeefStew25
01-09-2012, 09:43 PM
what's the difference between a free safety and the other safety (strong)? confuses me because I've seen blacks play both positions.

The best safety's are indentured servents.

bcbronc
01-09-2012, 11:47 PM
I'd also like to see Champ moved to FS next season. He's still a good corner who can have great games, but I don't see him as a great CB any longer. I do think he'd be a great FS at this point in his career.

He's still by far the best CB on the roster though, and the drop is pretty far. need to address that a bit before the move can be made imo.

HammeredOut
01-10-2012, 09:56 AM
did champ say something mean about indians or something? is it cause he started his career with the redskins?

Champ was a Redskin, who played football with a bunch of Blackskins.