PDA

View Full Version : Broncos must play "their game"

Jsteve01
01-09-2012, 10:13 AM
I've been saying it for almost a month now and I'll say it again. Somewhere along the line the Broncos started listening to to media. They bought into the idea that they needed to scrap their offense for a more conventional "pro style" offense. I've always laughed at the idea that we should run less shotgun. The shotgun has actually statistically proven to be more effective than plays run from under center.

http://footballoutsiders.com/info/FO-basics

Shotgun formations are generally more efficient than formations with the quarterback under center.
Over the past three seasons, offenses have averaged 5.9 yards per play from Shotgun, but just 5.1 yards per play with the quarterback under center. This wide split exists even if you analyze the data to try to weed out biases like teams using Shotgun more often on third-and-long, or against prevent defenses in the fourth quarter. Shotgun offense is more efficient if you only look at the first half, on every down, and even if you only look at running back carries rather than passes and scrambles.
Clearly, NFL teams have figured the importance of the Shotgun out for themselves. Over the past four seasons, the average team has gone from using Shotgun 19 percent of the time to 36 percent of the time, not even counting the Wildcat and other college-style option plays that have become popular in recent years. Before 2007, no team had ever used Shotgun on more than half its offensive plays. In the past two seasons, five different teams have used Shotgun over half the time. It is likely that if teams continue to increase their usage of the Shotgun, defenses will adapt and the benefit of the formation will become less pronounced.

Anyway the thrust of my post is to say this: The Broncos need to just do their thing. We've all poopood BG for saying the Broncos should scrap a conventional offense but I think yesterday's game proved that running a sort of hybrid and allowing Tebow and his playmakers to do their thing is the the formula for success with this team.

Just play your game John.

Northman
01-09-2012, 10:17 AM
Um, they didnt change anything the last 3 weeks mate. They just didnt execute and make plays.

To me, it goes deeper than that. It had nothing to do with the gameplan. It was body language. Watching Tebow and the team yesterday was VASTLY different than what i watched in the KC and Buffalo games. There was no fire there from them in those two games. Yesterday was totally different, the hunger was back and thus it showed.

Jsteve01
01-09-2012, 10:24 AM
Um, they didnt change anything the last 3 weeks mate. They just didnt execute and make plays.

To me, it goes deeper than that. It had nothing to do with the gameplan. It was body language. Watching Tebow and the team yesterday was VASTLY different than what i watched in the KC and Buffalo games. There was no fire there from them in those two games. Yesterday was totally different, the hunger was back and thus it showed.

They did though North. It started happening in the Minny game and continued with the Pats game. we played two horrid pass defenses and had relative success and went away from the style of play that had won games during the win streak

SOCALORADO.
01-09-2012, 10:26 AM

YES. And they played this way in the beginning of the NE game too.
Until the turnovers in that game, they were pounding the rock, and had a ton of confidence.

And for all you shotgun nuts that think that a team can just play that way all game, thats crazy. The best teams have QBs that can play under center, play outta the shotgun and can do them both proficiently. To win, you need a well rounded QB. Tom Brady can run the offense in NE from under center just as well as he can play the shotgun.

Jsteve01
01-09-2012, 11:29 AM
YES. And they played this way in the beginning of the NE game too.
Until the turnovers in that game, they were pounding the rock, and had a ton of confidence.

And for all you shotgun nuts that think that a team can just play that way all game, thats crazy. The best teams have QBs that can play under center, play outta the shotgun and can do them both proficiently. To win, you need a well rounded QB. Tom Brady can run the offense in NE from under center just as well as he can play the shotgun.

Im not saying you run shotgun 100 percent of the time socal. Im saying you run your stuff which is a good mix of pa pass and shotgun. Like it or don't. The game yesterday speaks for itself.

underrated29
01-09-2012, 11:35 AM

I disagree with this. The last two games buf and kc all we did was run run and be predictable about it. All our passes were go routes and on the outside. Nothing in the middle. Ive bitched about it for a while now, esp not using the middle.

This week we changed up the plays and made us not predictable. We did teh PA BOOT i have been clamoring for, we worked the middle of the field and everytime it was for a huge gain or a td.

Its hard to get fired up when you just hand the ball off 12 consecutive times and go 3 and out. Then throw in one pass play on a 3rd and 12 because we got stuffed on the run the first two times.

WHen we get tebow in the game early, with some quick throws and a run. Then we have him warmed up and he will ignite the fire. We just MUST get him in the game early. Tebow is aggressive, run run run run run run run is not.

(that said I still think we need to RUN RUNRUNRUNRUNRUN run on the pats this game, but not be predictable and pass when theres 9 in the box and run when theres 7-8.)