PDA

View Full Version : Holes aplenty to fill, starting Thursday

Denver Native (Carol)
02-25-2009, 06:10 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11770456

INDIANAPOLIS — There is the national economy, and there is the NFL's free-agent market.

One is sagging; the other is roaring. One guess as to which is which.

The Broncos are not allowed to directly discuss contracts with any impending free agents until the 2009 player market opens at 10:01 p.m. MST on Thursday. But general discussion among agents and league executives in the hotel lobbies at the NFL scouting combine, a seven-day event that ends today, suggests either the Broncos are greatly underestimating the value of the so-called second-tier, free-agent players, or agents are greatly overestimating the worth of their second-tier clients.

Most likely, there is truth in both.

Still, by the second week of March, the Broncos are expected to add seven or eight free-agent players. Their needs: a starting cornerback, one or two safeties, a nose tackle, one or two defensive ends, one or two linebackers, a No. 3-type receiver, a backup quarterback and possibly a running back. That's all.

Here's a closer look.

• Cornerback: The market-setter was the $22.5 million guarantee Indianapolis used to re-sign Kelvin Hayden. Now, St. Louis' Ronald Bartell, Atlanta's Domonique Foxworth and Miami's Andre Goodman are seeking huge contracts. The Broncos, who traded Foxworth for a seventh-round draft pick before the 2008 season, may seek the more affordable Bryant McFadden or Phillip Buchanon, if he doesn't re-sign with Tampa Bay.

• Nose tackle: Grady Jackson and Colin Cole are seeking significant deals. New England's Mike Wright would be affordable and could help teach the 3-4 techniques to Broncos' linemen.

• No. 2 quarterback: The Broncos unsuccessfully attempted to negotiate a contract extension last summer with veteran Patrick Ramsey. While Ramsey prepares to enter the open market, the Broncos will want to bring in another quarterback, either in the draft's later rounds or in free agency, to compete with Darrell Hackney for the role as Jay Cutler's backup. A trade for New England's Matt Cassel would appear to be too pricey.

The free-agent backup class includes Ryan Fitzpatrick, Dan Orlovsky, J.P. Losman and Kyle Boller.

• Safeties: Miami is trying to re-sign Yeremiah Bell, which could leave the New York Giants' James Butler and New England's James Sanders as possibilities.

• Linebackers: There is a need for both an inside and an outside linebacker. Among the free agents available are Monty Beisel, Clark Haggans, Andra Davis and Rosevelt Colvin.

• Defensive ends: The top 3-4 defensive ends, Chris Canty and Igor Olshansky, probably are too expensive.

• No. 3 receiver: It's easy to look at the offensive system Broncos coach Josh McDaniels coordinated in New England the past two seasons and see Eddie Royal playing the slot role of the Patriots' Wes Welker.

If Royal moves inside, veteran Brandon Stokley could become a No. 4/swing receiver while the Broncos seek an outside receiver. The trick is finding an affordable veteran who will rebound from a disappointing season.

• Running back: Derrick Ward likely has priced himself beyond the Broncos' budget. McDaniels may rely on ever-reliable running backs coach Bobby Turner to find another late- round gem in the draft.

bcbronc
02-25-2009, 06:38 PM
While Ramsey prepares to enter the open market, the Broncos will want to bring in another quarterback, either in the draft's later rounds or in free agency, to compete with Darrell Hackney for the role as Jay Cutler's backup. A trade for New England's Matt Cassel would appear to be too pricey.

was this supposed to be a joke? did the author forget the :sarcasm: smiley?

:confused:

underrated29
02-25-2009, 06:46 PM
Where is the starting thursday part? I must have missed it.

claymore
02-25-2009, 07:33 PM
This would make such a good thread in the lounge.

Superchop 7
02-25-2009, 07:48 PM
(What this article sounds to me like)

- Let's get back in the game.
- No, it's no good.

- Goddamn it. Maverick's disengaging.
- I knew it. Shit!

Get in there, come on.
What the hell are you doing?

dogfish
02-25-2009, 08:13 PM
i don't get all this talk about" this guy is too expensive and that guy is out of their price range" BS. . . we've got thirty friggin' million under the cap! some players may cost more than what the team WANTS to spend, but nobody is out of our price range. . . if they try to replace the entire defense through free agency, they're just going to end up with a bunch of scrubs-- they need to focus on bringing in a few QUALITY players, add a few more through the draft and build the right way, even if it takes a year or two. . . don't bring in a dozen warm bodies just because they'll come cheap-- we'll just have to cut them in a year or two anyways. . . i'd rather give guys like larsen, woodyard and barrett a chance rather than paying FA prices for veteran stopgaps with no upside. . . .

JKcatch724
02-25-2009, 08:17 PM
lol at the thread title...

claymore
02-25-2009, 08:38 PM
i don't get all this talk about" this guy is too expensive and that guy is out of their price range" BS. . . we've got thirty friggin' million under the cap! some players may cost more than what the team WANTS to spend, but nobody is out of our price range. . . if they try to replace the entire defense through free agency, they're just going to end up with a bunch of scrubs-- they need to focus on bringing in a few QUALITY players, add a few more through the draft and build the right way, even if it takes a year or two. . . don't bring in a dozen warm bodies just because they'll come cheap-- we'll just have to cut them in a year or two anyways. . . i'd rather give guys like larsen, woodyard and barrett a chance rather than paying FA prices for veteran stopgaps with no upside. . . .

Hell Yeah......... Exactly Bro. I doubt we win the SB next year, but damn, bring in the right dudes, and use this years salary cap with guaranteed money or whatever.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-25-2009, 08:45 PM
dude just needed sumthin to write till Friday. he knows nothing.

DenBronx
02-26-2009, 02:21 AM
:eek: lots of holes are getting filled on thursday? :eek:

Lonestar
02-26-2009, 02:25 AM
:eek: lots of holes are getting filled on Thursday? :eek:

I'd be very surprised if we made any big moves at 1000 MST today.. I think we will talk to a few folks and see a lot of action next week..

silkamilkamonico
02-26-2009, 02:59 AM
What's the over/under when Friday 3pm comes, the top 5 free agents sign contracts, and the "What's Denver doing? WHy hasn't Denver signed anyone yet? We've failed this offseason!!" threads start making appearances?

I'll say 4 threads.

DenBronx
02-26-2009, 03:13 AM
What's the over/under when Friday 3pm comes, the top 5 free agents sign contracts, and the "What's Denver doing? WHy hasn't Denver signed anyone yet? We've failed this offseason!!" threads start making appearances?

I'll say 4 threads.

well, i know this. alot of bronco fans are going to have their bubbles bursted about haynesworth. i just read a report that said he wants to play for a team with a 4-3 defense and not a 3-4. he feels he is most dominate playing a natural dt instead of nt.

Dirk
02-26-2009, 07:48 AM
I agree, get the players that will make an impact initially at "their" position and have the ability to groom the rookies we draft.

Don't spend the whole wad on FAs that may or may not pan out. 2009 is a rebuilding year and for any Broncos fan that doesn't know that.....well...just sayin'

Traveler
02-26-2009, 09:06 AM
What are your thoughts on Bartell? If he fits the requirements that Nolan looks for in his CB's, and his past production also tranlates well, should Denver offer a contract similar to the one the Colts offered Hayden?

Admittedly, that would be a great deal of money tied up at one position, but Bartell fills a great need.

Dirk
02-26-2009, 09:25 AM
If there was anyone I would throw major FA money at it would be Haynesworth.

Bartell would be a great sign, but I don't know about spending tons to get him.

silkamilkamonico
02-26-2009, 11:31 AM
well, i know this. alot of bronco fans are going to have their bubbles bursted about haynesworth. i just read a report that said he wants to play for a team with a 4-3 defense and not a 3-4. he feels he is most dominate playing a natural dt instead of nt.

I'm not real sure why that would be a surprise. The front office already said they won't devote a big chunk of their cap to one player. And considering we're going to be picking up quite a few free agents, I don't see why they would strap their options with one player.

underrated29
02-26-2009, 11:44 AM
I'm not real sure why that would be a surprise. The front office already said they won't devote a big chunk of their cap to one player. And considering we're going to be picking up quite a few free agents, I don't see why they would strap their options with one player.

I just dont buy that though...I think they mean that a big chunk is not worth one ok/crappy player....A big name who wont slack off or puss out and is worth a big salary will get one...

I really think we are going to get a few big contracts and big names. I dont see any other way around it actually.

silkamilkamonico
02-26-2009, 12:09 PM
I just dont buy that though...I think they mean that a big chunk is not worth one ok/crappy player....A big name who wont slack off or puss out and is worth a big salary will get one...

I really they are going to get a few big contracts and big names. I dont see any other way around it actually.

I think their looking at possibly 4-5 solid free agents. Not 1 blockbuster and a bunch of scrubs. We have a bit of cap available, but it's not like we have a plethora of cap we can spend on free agents, considering they usually go for about 2-3x more then their worth anyways.

underrated29
02-26-2009, 12:14 PM
yes well said...

I kinda think that canty (if we get him) and Bell will be our priciest FA's. All the rest will be solid, but not spectacular...

Its almost a given we are going to get atleast 1 Saftey, and 1 CB in FA. Knowing that and who is still available, the contracts should be above average but not blockbusters.

Man i am sooooo excited for tomorrow.

Traveler
02-26-2009, 12:35 PM
yes well said...

I kinda think that canty (if we get him) and Bell will be our priciest FA's. All the rest will be solid, but not spectacular...

Its almost a given we are going to get atleast 1 Saftey, and 1 CB in FA. Knowing that and who is still available, the contracts should be above average but not blockbusters.

Man i am sooooo excited for tomorrow.

Don't set yourself up like that. For all we know, the players we end up with
probably won't excite anyone and be simlilar to Boss & Niko last year. Hope the results are better.:salute:

underrated29
02-26-2009, 12:49 PM
Yeah but im not just excited for us...

Its a whole bunch of things.

I love that there is actually stuff going on now, and stuff to talk about. Plus, i like to see where all the players go and what teams are doing and thinking. It helps me out in Fantasy Football too. So even if we were just to sign bell,mcfadden, and clayton or somthing i would care to much because i just enjoy the whole process.

silkamilkamonico
02-26-2009, 01:03 PM
Keep in mind, the actual players they bring in aren't nearly as important as how well the coaches are teaching the scheme and developing the talent that we do have. That's the most important thing.

dogfish
02-26-2009, 01:58 PM
I'd be very surprised if we made any big moves at 1000 MST today.. I think we will talk to a few folks and see a lot of action next week..

yea, it's not like there's going to be a rush on the likes of andra davis and clark haggans. . . .

:lol:

I'll say 4 threads.

i'll give ya way better odds that if we do sign a buncha scrubs, the peasants will rejoice (as smiley loves to say), just like last year. . . i wish i had a dollar for everyone that told me to "stop whining" because i wasn't happy to sign losers like niko, marquand manuel and marlon mccree. . .

i remember a LOT of dumb sarcastic "sky is falling" comments, and praise for how the FO was exercising fiscal restraint and improving the team through smart, inexpensive signings. . . "these guys are veteran upgrades that won't break the bank!" "i'm glad we're doing things this way rather than overpaying for big names!" yea. . . LMAO! more like journeyman losers that no one else wanted because they can't play at a high level and you can't be competitive fielding those kind of bums. . .

What are your thoughts on Bartell? If he fits the requirements that Nolan looks for in his CB's, and his past production also tranlates well, should Denver offer a contract similar to the one the Colts offered Hayden?

Admittedly, that would be a great deal of money tied up at one position, but Bartell fills a great need.

god no! hayden's a FAR better player, bartell isn't worth close to that kind of money. . .

Lonestar
02-26-2009, 02:12 PM
Keep in mind, the actual players they bring in aren't nearly as important as how well the coaches are teaching the scheme and developing the talent that we do have. That's the most important thing.

I guessing that your probably closer tot eh actual reason that Niko failed last year..

I'm thinking a couple solid FA that are younger coming off their rookie contracts, and maybe one or two grizzled old vets looking for a couple more years while we work their drafted replacements into the starting lineup..