PDA

View Full Version : Keys to the Patriot Game

cmc0605
01-08-2012, 10:48 PM
So, after a very exciting game against the Steelers, we go to Foxboro next week to face the New England Patriots. Needless to say, they are pretty good. I wanted to make this thread to set up a starting point for discussion.

Denver faces a number of challenges that will only make the game harder than the one they played against the Pats back in week 15. For one, it's on the road this time, so they don't have the luxury of making an east coast team play at altitude; also, it's on saturday giving them one less day to prepare, while the Pats had a bye week to rest. Further, the Pats aren't quite as banged up as they were when we played them. They have Chung, Branch, Spikes, etc that sat out of the last contest. Meanwhile, we will probably be without Eric Decker and Brian Dawkins. And as impressive as the win was against the Steelers, we lucked out with them missing a lot of key players. I don't think there are any noteworthy Patriots missing in action this week.

The Denver defense will not be able to stop Brady. That's not because Denvers D is particularly bad, although they have been worse over the time Dawkins has been missing, but because it's a reality that Brady has too many weapons. Last time it was Aaron Hernandez. But it could just as well we Gronkowski, Welker, and you have guys like Branch or Ochocinco that could make plays here and there. Green-Ellis could be good against a suspect Denver front 4, and the Pats like screen passes that Denver doesn't tend to defend too well. Denver only has one elite defensive back, and Brady doesn't tend to test Bailey too much, but anyone else on the field is free pickings. Goodman isn't too bad, but we just don't have the depth to cover everyone. Last game, Von Miller was neutralized because of the 4, 5 WR sets. I expect much the same. In short, the Pats will put up at least 30 points barring any crazy weather or Tom Brady injury. Timely turnovers and forcing FGs rather than touchdowns will be very important in this game.

But don't be too eager to think this means a must-doom scenario for Denver. After all, the Pats don't have a good defense themselves, and in the last contest much of the game turned into an arena football like saga where Tebow passed in big chunks and McGahee/Ball ran at will. This must be a game where Tebow "pulls the trigger" as we won't be able to keep pace with the Pats in a predominant run-based gameplan. Tebow has thrown rather well in these situations, against the Pats, Vikings, Steelers, etc. Denver also has a talent in someone named Demaryius Thomas who not too many people know about yet (but Belichick will!), but he's secretly been playing as good as any WR in the league in the later parts of this season, with the possible exception of Megatron. I fully suspect he will be in the pro bowl next year. With Decker out, the Pats might be able to afford to give him a bit of extra attention, meaning guys like Royal, Fells, Rosario, Willis, etc will need to step up. Royal and Fells did tonight against Pittsburgh. Denver also has one of the better o lines in the league, so I'm not too worried about protection.

In the last game, the Broncos beat the broncos just as much, if not moreso, than the Pats beat the Broncos. Several "dumb" fumbles, one by Ball and one by Tebow, and then a muffed special teams play by Quan Cosby (who is thankfully no longer a Bronco) put the Pats in excellent position to take us over after I thought we played a superior 1st quarter. That isn't to say the outcome of the game would have been different, but it certainly would have been much tigher at the very least. If Denver can eliminate those mistakes, in addition to various ill-timed penalties they have a habit of getting, this might be a lot closer than what many people will probably be expecting.

Because Ed Lorentz came up with this elegant notion of 'chaos theory,' I can't really tell you with much confidence what the weather will be like a week from now, though it's pretty safe to assume it will be cold. Snow could actually work in the Broncos favor since it would help to neutralize the high powered attack of Brady, but I don't think they are as well adjusted to pure cold as the Pats are (not because Colorado doesn't get cold, but because the Pats have a veteran team that has played through more of that than many of the key guys on Denvers side)

BroncoWave
01-08-2012, 10:49 PM
Don't fumble it three times. I firmly believe if we don't have those 3 fumbles against them a few weeks ago we win that game.

sneakers
01-08-2012, 10:50 PM
I think the real key to a broncos victory is posting lots of cats on broncosforums.

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2011/12/23/82156f0f-203b-4672-800a-e7ea8d1d9d8e.jpg

DenBronx
01-08-2012, 10:50 PM
Just play like they did today.

Actually they did good against the Patriots but turned the ball over.

A win is a possibility....just sayin.

BigDaddyBronco
01-08-2012, 10:54 PM
If we don't implode in the 2nd quarter it will go down to the wire. Slow down their scoring with ball control and hope for some turnovers. Maybe injure Brady with the pass rush. LOL.

We really don't match up well with their secondary, so we'll just have to try and limit the damage.

Anyone in the NFL can win any given week, so let's just enjoy the ride.

Nomad
01-08-2012, 11:00 PM
Play North's Vader music, Take out Brady and BRONCOS win....I guarantee!!!

Thnikkaman
01-08-2012, 11:03 PM
I think the real key to a broncos victory is posting lots of cats on broncosforums.

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2011/12/23/82156f0f-203b-4672-800a-e7ea8d1d9d8e.jpg

I have an idea for a thread I need to start late this week.

Edmonton Bronco Fan
01-08-2012, 11:05 PM
Like Bailey said, ball security is probably the most important thing we have to improve upon.

Oh... and keep letting Tebow "let loose" and air it out. The run game will be important as well. Our first game against NE we ran it down their throats in the first half; will need a repeat performance of that but for a full 60 minutes this time.

underrated29
01-08-2012, 11:05 PM
Stop their rush attack. When the pats ran on us they got a lot of yards. We MUST shut that down. We shut that down then we can unleash on brady.

We also should run and run and run a lot and a lot and a lot on the pats. When there are 8 guys or less in the box on the pats. We RUN!- 9 or more I want PA passing.

The pats can not stop us with 8 in the box. And the run game will beat them up, tire them out and keep brady on the sidelines. They also have small CBs....So I would like to see some WR and TE screens, as the CBs can not bring them down.

ATLbroNCO
01-08-2012, 11:06 PM
First, and most importantly, the Broncos need to control the flow of the game. The only way that we don't get into a track meet is to have long, sustained drives, taking time before snapping the ball at the line and utilizing the play clock. The Patriot's Run D (and defense in general) isn't very good. Hopefully, McGahee will stay healthy, along with Ball, so that we have fresh legs running the ball.
Second, Tim Tebow needs to keep up the good work. Stay confident! Throw the ball down the field and believe in your arm Tim. The Broncos need to keep the Pats off the LOS with a couple of throws from the start. I hope McCoy does not wait until third down to call throwing plays. If we can soften this defense, our ability to control the FLOW of the game will become a whole lot easier.

Defensively it is going to be a challenge. Tom Brady is one of the best (if not the best) QB in the league. He has a plethora of weapons to go to in the air. In my opinion, pass rush is the most important aspect to this game. Brady can, and has been this year, thrown off when pressured heavily. They cannot allow Brady to sit back with only 3 rushers coming at him, like they did with Big Ben today. VonDoom needs to show up, as well as Ayers on the front lines. Brady can be made very uncomfortable, and if we do this, the secondary needs to take advantage of the opportunities given to them. Champ missed on a very makeable INT today, that can't happen against the Pats.
Finally, will B Dawkins be back?? If he is I believe the secondary will be in much, much better shape.

Oh yeah, we must go positive in the turnover margin!!!!

red98
01-08-2012, 11:12 PM
Tim F***n Tebow is the key to the game.

Nomad
01-08-2012, 11:14 PM
Call up Mike Anderson:salute:....Champ is already on the team!