PDA

View Full Version : Broncos Win Answers a Lot of Questions ....

nflfan
01-08-2012, 10:45 PM
First and foremost, this option offense can be a very viable, long term NFL offense. Even with injuries, the Steelers are still a great defense, and the offense was able to run and make deep passes against them consistently.

Because the Steelers had to respect the run, it left their DBs with one on one match-ups against WRs.

Second, Tebow will be next season's starter, and maybe even for several years to come. As a passer, defenses give him a lot of time in the pocket, due to respecting his run ability, and he has shown the ability to throw good, deep passes. Because his WRs get one on one match-ups, the reads become much simpler. If he can play like this in the play-offs, there shouldn't be any reason to not expect him to perform the same way during the regular season.

Third, no need to second guess Fox and McCoy anymore; they stuck to their guns, playing the same style that got them the wins ... a spread to run option offense with play action deep pass.

Fourth, there's nothing wrong with the WR crew. It's just about match-ups. The Chiefs had better CBs than the Steelers, and that helped shut down the Broncos' passing game.

Great win by the win by the whole Broncos team.

red98
01-08-2012, 11:00 PM
fifth: Can all the Tebow doubters suck it?

Yeah, they can suck it.

nflfan
01-09-2012, 02:40 AM
Sixth, hardcore Tebow fanatics need to take a chill pill, LOL!

The Broncos just won their first playoff game in 6 years; enjoy the win, man! :beer:

Joel
01-09-2012, 04:31 AM
That wasn't option football, which cannot have long term NFL success. Rav covered it pretty well in another thread recently: It depends on exceptional athletes who can outrun linemen stronger than them and run over LBs and DBs weaker than them, and works because 95% of players good option QBs face in college fall into one or both of those categories. EVERY NFL defender, even the third stringers who only get into games on special teams, if someone's hurt, got their jobs by eating guys like that for lunch through four solid years of college.

The spread is a whole other thing; the Pats and Colts won four Super Bowls in the last decade with their respective variations of it. With good offensive talent, it works very well and is a bear to defend because you have to cover EVERY option, since the offense will seize ANY lightly defended one. Running out of the spread adds a much needed dimension to that, one that becomes even more dangerous when there are two potential runners even in four receiver sets. That is NOT, in itself, any kind of option, not when the called play is either 100% pass or 100% run, rather than depending on a read once the ball is snapped. In college you can get away with postponing the run/pass decision until the D commits, for the above stated reason, but the fast AND powerful NFL Ds, particulary the good aggressive ones, will just seize the initiative that cedes and pummel you all day.

We are not out of the woods by a long shot yet; our whole offense played at a higher level, as a unit, than in any game this year. If they can do that every week we'll be in great shape for a while, but since their average age is about 25, I don't think that's the case. This playoff win, however, not only showed US they have the ability, it showed THEM that, and gave them experience doing it against an elite D. They don't just "believe" they can beat the best now, they KNOW it, because they have. That's huge.

red98
01-09-2012, 09:42 AM
Sixth, hardcore Tebow fanatics need to take a chill pill, LOL!

The Broncos just won their first playoff game in 6 years; enjoy the win, man! :beer:

I was one of the doubters so being a little self deprecating there :D

Northman
01-09-2012, 09:56 AM
Fourth, there's nothing wrong with the WR crew.

Agreed.

HammeredOut
01-09-2012, 10:01 AM
I havn't seen it too often, if ever in the NFL. But Tebow drew 9 in the box at on his own 20. 9 in the box only happens at the goal line. If NFL defensive coordinators think our run game is that deadly, then we have a niche, to run with here.

Mike
01-09-2012, 10:07 AM
Agreed.

I still think we need a tall/speedy WR to stretch the field.

Northman
01-09-2012, 10:12 AM

Meh, like Tebow the receivers need time to get experience and build chemistry with the QB. Its a young team.

Dzone
01-09-2012, 10:17 AM
Tebow coming on live on 850koa in 2 minutes

iLands
01-09-2012, 10:26 AM
Is that online anywhere? I'd love to hear it.

sunbeam
01-09-2012, 11:21 AM
No one knows how this is going to play out.

I think that having the quarterback as a legitimate running threat on any given play is huge.

I think the success of the Bronco running game this year. For example from this link http://www.milehighreport.com/2011/12/28/2665312/week-17-horse-whisperings-denver-broncos

"Denver was tied for 25th in the NFL with 86.8 rushing yards per game through the first 4 weeks of the season.

The Broncos have a total of 2,069 rushing yards (188.1 ypg) over its last 11 games—the most productive 11-game rushing stretch in team history."

I think the change in offense made this rushing increase possible, with exactly the same personnel.

I also think Tebow's run threat has made the job of the offensive line easier in pass protection.

I think Tebow has a lot of qualities that can make him a great quarterback. The athleticism, the running ability, the sheer strength and durability. Mental toughness and whatever weird x-factor he has.

But he is still a second year player. Up until the past few years younger quarterbacks didn't have much success in the NFL. I kind of think he still has some learning mistakes to make and a few stinker games in him (they all do, even Brady at this point in his career still has them.)

I think he is showing that he is going to have the ability to read NFL defenses quickly, and this is going to be huge for him. He seems to have good judgement on what to do.

Long term, even though I hope he does well, his accuracy is going to be a career long issue for him. Some plays his balls look good and go where he meant them to go. Other plays his passes don't.

A large part of his passing success is the amount of single coverage his receivers get (due to the very nature of this offense). That isn't going to change in my opinion. Defenses are just going to run out of players if the quarterback is a legitimate runner on any play.

His accuracy is going to improve some with repetition, but there is a ceiling on this. It may never be a problem if this type of offense works long term (I think it will, but only time will tell).

Still even for a second year player he is very good at not making dumb throws in my opinion. Generally he makes the right decision on where to throw it, even if it doesn't go exactly where it should. Some quarterbacks, even highly regarded ones never seem to learn this.

Jsteve01
01-09-2012, 11:27 AM
Meh, like Tebow the receivers need time to get experience and build chemistry with the QB. Its a young team.

Uh Thomas is speedy. See him outrun Ike Taylor consistently yesterday? His ypc was 18 yards before yesterday's game. And the real consideration when evaluating him long term is that he ruptured his Achilles less than a year ago. There's no way he's back to the level physically that he was prior to the injury

CrazyHorse
01-09-2012, 11:29 AM

I think Thomas is showing he is more than capable. Decker is a good number two, with Royal being great in the slot.

SOCALORADO.
01-09-2012, 11:33 AM

Yeah, they could use a pure burner to really open things up.

Northman
01-09-2012, 12:18 PM
Uh Thomas is speedy. See him outrun Ike Taylor consistently yesterday? His ypc was 18 yards before yesterday's game. And the real consideration when evaluating him long term is that he ruptured his Achilles less than a year ago. There's no way he's back to the level physically that he was prior to the injury

I dont think it was me you wanted to quote as i agree with you.