PDA

View Full Version : Fasemasks

pipes
01-08-2012, 10:06 PM
Can somebody tell me when grabbing the facemask of an opponent's helmet became legal again?

Cause the last two weeks I have seen more uncalled facemasks against Denver than I've ever seen.

Tebow's head alone has been twisted, shook, and basically attempted to be removed from his shoulders.

If, in fact it is still illegal then why have so many been missed recently? -and please don't give me the "he didnt grasp, he only touched or grazed the mask" cause the ones I'm talking about are painfully obvious!

Maybe next year when they return to the orange jerseys, maybe they should go back to the white facemasks?!

Traveler
01-08-2012, 10:10 PM
My problem today was all the missed holding calls by the refs. I can recal at least five times there was blatant holding but no call.

I Eat Staples
01-08-2012, 10:10 PM
What's a fasemask?

horsepig
01-08-2012, 10:12 PM
How about the backwards pass by Big Ben that was ruled an incomplete pass with an early whistle, or some such bullshit?

Northman
01-08-2012, 10:21 PM
Yea, i hope the guy that blew the whistle early gets a nice hefty fine. We get that call and score a TD and it takes the air out of Pitt's sails. No reason for that BS.

pipes
01-08-2012, 10:21 PM
What's a fasemask?

Stupid autocorrect!

shank
01-08-2012, 10:44 PM
Refs were terrible. Terrible.

smith49
01-08-2012, 10:47 PM
Yea, i hope the guy that blew the whistle early gets a nice hefty fine. We get that call and score a TD and it takes the air out of Pitt's sails. No reason for that BS.

The entire crew should get downgraded for that one. They also screwed up by not letting it be challenged correctly. They were just wrong on all fronts on that play. That would have been a devastating t/o for the steelers at that point in the game. I'm positive we will hear more about it this coming week.

701Bronco
01-08-2012, 10:55 PM
How about the backwards pass by Big Ben that was ruled an incomplete pass with an early whistle, or some such bullshit?

I shit a chicken when they got away with that. The only good thing that came from it is that I get to eat fried chicken tomorrow night.

Edmonton Bronco Fan
01-08-2012, 11:01 PM
The refs were horrid today. Between the botched call on the lateral which led to a 14 point swing, the two facemasks that were evident even in real time missed on Tebow and a spear, I could have thrown the remote through the television.

I'm not normally one to blame the zebras, but at times it felt like they definitely wanted to get the Steelers back into the game. To be fair, we did get a couple breaks from them as well. The non-PI near the beginning of the game comes to mind as the most blatant thing we got away with but it wasn't anywhere near as momentum change that Pittsburgh was gifted on the lateral gaff.

There is always a lot of holding that doesn't get called in every game, for some reason it was a lot more noticeable tonight. To be fair, both teams got away with a few and those didn't bother me as much.

Hoping we get a better crew next weekend.

BORDERLINE
01-08-2012, 11:04 PM
that whistle came real late but whatever

Tned
01-08-2012, 11:19 PM

Stadium was loud, so it was hard to hear the ref. Did he say because the ref blew the whistle immediate and called it incomplete, even if it was a lateral, then possession wouldn't change? If so, i'm guessing it's like the famous Cutler/Hochuli call. Basically the same, because he called that incomplete and play was dead, even when the replay showed it was a fumble.

wayninja
01-08-2012, 11:26 PM
Stadium was loud, so it was hard to hear the ref. Did he say because the ref blew the whistle immediate and called it incomplete, even if it was a lateral, then possession wouldn't change? If so, i'm guessing it's like the famous Cutler/Hochuli call. Basically the same, because he called that incomplete and play was dead, even when the replay showed it was a fumble.

Well, there is actually a 'Hochuli' rule now to eliminate that exact oversight. Unfortunately, this situation is just different enough for the Hochuli rule to not apply... somehow...

It's explained here if you can somehow make sense of it, I can't:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/08/pereira-explains-why-denver-couldnt-have-gotten-possession-of-backward-pass-via-replay/related/

OrangeHoof
01-09-2012, 12:12 AM
It used to be that refs would "let them play" and call less penalties in the playoffs but they let both sides get away with a ton of offensive holding. I do think the refs are not calling penalties against Tebow tacklers because he's a "running quarterback" who invites hits with all his running around. It's not fair or right but I think that's part of the lack of protection they are giving Tebow compared to, say, Brady or Manning.

They did flag Harrison for roughing but, otherwise, they let Tim take his lumps.

Nick
01-09-2012, 12:28 AM
My problem today was all the missed holding calls by the refs. I can recal at least five times there was blatant holding but no call.

On both sides. When the refs call a certain way, they called through out.

We had a few time that was no call for decent gains.

tomjonesrocks
01-09-2012, 12:45 AM
The refs ****** the Broncos all day.

I don't know if there's a suitable explanation. Denver was lucky to survive as they had to beat the Steelers AND the refs. Only makes the victory sweeter; but someone on that crew should be fired.

AlWilsonizKING
01-09-2012, 01:16 AM
Not just the past 2 weeks, but all season. Not sure who it was, but there was a play where a Bronco was running down the sideline and the defensive player grabbed his facemask, turning the Broncos players head....but no call.:eek:

Getting to be like the NBA if you ask me.

PEACE!!!