PDA

View Full Version : Eric Decker’s knee injury thought to be an MCL sprain

Denver Native (Carol)
01-08-2012, 09:52 PM
Tim Tebow threw a medium-range pass to Eric Decker on a crossing pattern in the first half. The play was spoiled by replay.

Even worse, the vicious tackle at the knees of Decker by James Harrison (otherwise widely known as the NFL’s dirtiest player) sent Decker limping to the sideline. He never returned.

But the injury turned out to be not as serious as it looked. Decker likely suffered a sprain of his medial cruciate ligament (MCL) and not an ACL tear.

He will undergo an MRI on Monday in Denver.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2012/01/08/eric-deckers-knee-injury-thought-to-be-an-mcl-sprain/11697/

Dreadnought
01-08-2012, 09:53 PM
Here's hoping he's OK. That was a damned catch, too

CrazyHorse
01-08-2012, 09:54 PM
The question is will he be ready to go for New England. We are pretty shallow at receiver with just Thomas, Royal, and Willis.

HORSEPOWER 56
01-08-2012, 09:56 PM

I'm kinda glad they didn't rule it a catch. If it was a catch, it probably would've been ruled a fumble. The ball was starting to come out before Decker's elbow hit.

The next play was the 51 yarder to Thomas, BTW. So it's not like it forced us to punt. :beer:

BroncoWave
01-08-2012, 09:57 PM
Our offense got way better when he went out. Fitting that he ended it with yet another drop. I'm not happy he is injured, but I certainly don't think we will miss him a bit.

701Bronco
01-08-2012, 09:57 PM
Good to hear, hope he recovers fast and 100%

Nice catch Decker :salute:

HORSEPOWER 56
01-08-2012, 09:58 PM
The question is will he be ready to go for New England. We are pretty shallow at receiver with just Thomas, Royal, and Willis.

I'm sure we'll activate either Deandre Goodwin or Greg Orton off the practice squad if Decker can't go.

BigDaddyBronco
01-08-2012, 09:59 PM
Crossing my fingers hoping. Harrison is a POS. Ok, so he didn't go for the head shot due to the fines and suspensions, so he goes for the knee. Nice. Karma's a bitch James. Watch out!

DJ showed how it is done with his shoulder to the chest of Pitt's TE. That is the legal and clean way to separate a receiver from the ball. No flag. No fine. No injury.

igoe4broncos
01-08-2012, 10:00 PM
FWIW, a sprain is a tear of some sort medically-speaking. Just depends upon the severity of the tear.

Yeah, I've been taking medical classes in school...

BigDaddyBronco
01-08-2012, 10:01 PM
FWIW, a sprain is a tear of some sort medically-speaking. Just depends upon the severity of the tear.

Yeah, I've been taking medical classes in school...

Yea, but it doesn't take 9 months for him to recover. He will not be playing next week, but should be ready for mini-camps.

BroncoStud
01-08-2012, 10:02 PM
James Harrison is a piece of shit. I really hope that next year someone ends his season with a knee or head injury. That guy is just a plague on the NFL. He clearly went low knowing the possibility of what would happen. He took a cheap shot on Colt McCoy too high knowing what might happen.

He's just a dirty piece of garbage that the NFL would be better without.

tomjonesrocks
01-08-2012, 10:05 PM
MCL is a good outcome for that play.
He will be back strong with ease next year then.

He obviously won't be available next week unfortunately, but in all honestly has been kind of useless anyway of late.

Guess you have to lose one guy for the year when you play Harrison.

BigDaddyBronco
01-08-2012, 10:05 PM
James Harrison is a piece of shit. I really hope that next year someone ends his season with a knee or head injury. That guy is just a plague on the NFL. He clearly went low knowing the possibility of what would happen. He took a cheap shot on Colt McCoy too high knowing what might happen.

He's just a dirty piece of garbage that the NFL would be better without.

You know, I don't wish injury on anyone, but he just might be an exception. Total POS.

CrazyHorse
01-09-2012, 02:39 AM
This hurts but the worst case scenario is we get our running backs and tight ends more involved in the passing game.

Magnificent Seven
01-09-2012, 02:43 AM

That reminds me of Ed McCaffrey on Monday Night Football against the Giants. 9/10/01

Joel
01-09-2012, 02:54 AM
I'm kinda glad they didn't rule it a catch. If it was a catch, it probably would've been ruled a fumble. The ball was starting to come out before Decker's elbow hit.

The next play was the 51 yarder to Thomas, BTW. So it's not like it forced us to punt. :beer:
Honestly, the more I think about it the more I feel like our offense saw that cheap shot, got pissed, and administered 20 unanswered points worth of revenge, then went to the locker room to check on their boy. Offensive players tend to think that way, at least at the "skill" positions: Defenders and linemen retaliate with big hits; QBs, WRs and backs retaliate with points.

Very grateful it's not as bad as it looked at the time. I can't imagine him returning against NE though (it had to be a BAD sprain the way his whole body moved while his lower leg didn't, bending sideways at least 20°) and think it would be foolishly dangerous to try. There are more important things than playoff games (yes, I said it) and he's got a lot more good years to win those if he takes care of himself. I love Rod Smith to death, but putting off hip surgery for a year when he knew he desperately needed it, just because he was our only good WR and he wanted to get us to the playoffs, prematurely ended his career and forced him to REPLACE his hip. Beating NE isn't worth that.

bcbronc
01-09-2012, 02:57 AM
the points were answered, that's why we went to overtime. :semantics:

Joel
01-09-2012, 03:04 AM
My feed was pretty choppy at that point, and looking at it since I can't decide if his feet came down before the ball came lose. The rule, however, is that when a WR goes to the ground after a catch he has to maintain possession and control through the landing, and he didn't. I'm glad I didn't have to make the call though, because if the refs had upheld the catch, they'd then have had to address whether the ball came lose AFTER he caught it and established himself on the field but BEFORE his arm hit the ground. My guess is they decided the safest easiest way to avoid a lot of controversy was to just call it an incomplete and forget about it.

Here's the thing though: If it was an incomplete pass, despite Decker clearly having possession and control when he caught it, that means he didn't make any kind of "football move" after catching it. Since Harrison hit him before the ball came loose, that means he hit him after the catch but before he made "a football move," which is the DEFINITION of "hitting a defenseless receiver."

Personally, I think he should start next year on suspension because of that, and a pretty hefty one since he was already a repeat offender. What is this, the third year in a row he's made a hit that deserved a suspension, and he's still doing it? May have to come up with a more effective penalty.

iLands
01-09-2012, 04:00 AM
According to Twitter, he's out vs the Pats.

Joel
01-09-2012, 08:17 AM
the points were answered, that's why we went to overtime. :semantics:
Not before they scored 20 of them and went to the locker room to find out more about Deckers condition. I kinda wish they hadn't, 'cos they definitely seemed to cool down in the second half (or maybe the Steelers just made good adjustments, but either way we only got a FG out of the second half.)

According to Twitter, he's out vs the Pats.
He should be back for the Super Bowl. :salute: