PDA

View Full Version : Broncos free agents brace for change

Denver Native (Carol)
02-25-2009, 09:29 AM
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2009/feb/24/broncos-free-agents-bracing-for-change/

The Broncos have informed their players who are scheduled to become unrestricted free agents they will be allowed to enter the market and won't be re-signed before the league's shopping spree begins Thursday night.

Most, if not all, of those players won't return, regardless of price, though there have been some talks between the team and defensive lineman Kenny Peterson.

The rest of the group about to hit the market includes running backs Tatum Bell and Michael Pittman, defensive end Ebenezer Ekuban, safety Marlon McCree, cornerback Karl Paymah, linebacker Nate Webster, receivers Darrell Jackson and Edell Shepherd and tight end Jeb Putzier.

"I want to come back to Denver if they want my services. But I want them to want me back," said Pittman, who noted he has fully recovered from a neck injury that cut short his 2008 season. "There's no hard feeling either way."

Pittman added he appreciated new general manager Brian Xanders calling him to apprise him of the situation.

Paymah, a 2005 draft pick who has shuttled between nickel and dime roles for four seasons, was told when he recently bumped into new coach Josh McDaniels there's interest in Paymah's potential return.

And with the new staff coming to Denver, Paymah said, "It's definitely something you want to be a part of."

But there's the business side to consider, and Paymah has goals he wants to attain.

"I'm definitely a starter. It's my time to be 'the guy,' " he said.

The Broncos, who are expected to be active in free agency, are well-positioned on the salary cap to begin restocking their roster and will focus heavily on the defensive side.

The team currently has about $35 million of cap room. That total, though, doesn't factor in player incentives previously earned or that weren't reached. Denver also will have to save at least $5 million for its rookie pool and is considering possible new deals with receiver Brandon Marshall and center Casey Wiegmann.

TXBRONC
02-25-2009, 10:13 AM
There is only one guy in that lot that I really would not want Denver to re-sign and that's Nate Webster.

broncofaninfla
02-25-2009, 10:17 AM
I think Peterson, Pittman and Paymah could add some depth for us.

Fan in Exile
02-25-2009, 10:18 AM
TX, I like how you said that with a straight face.

TXBRONC
02-25-2009, 10:29 AM
TX, I like how you said that with a straight face.

It's a gift. :D

oobehr
02-25-2009, 10:39 AM
Paymah, peterson, and pittman all seem to be very qualified back ups if not part time starters.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-25-2009, 11:26 AM
I just hope, when it's all said and done, that we don't resemble an expansion team on the field.

TXBRONC
02-25-2009, 11:46 AM
I just hope, when it's all said and done, that we don't resemble an expansion team on the field.

I don't think we will.

Dirk
02-25-2009, 12:03 PM
If we are to take a beating next year to get a good to great defense moving forward....do what ya gotta do. Next season is going to be a rough year anyway if the teams outside of the West play like they did this past season.

Kaylore
02-25-2009, 04:04 PM
They're blowing it up! I hope they know what they're doing and I hope our Personnel department isn't stupid.

DenBronx
02-25-2009, 04:07 PM
pittmans the only guy i see us resigning. he will have to take the veteran minimum though.

Lonestar
02-25-2009, 04:37 PM
pittmans the only guy i see us resigning. he will have to take the veteran minimum though.

but for him that is still like 800K+ still not to shabby for minimum work time..

DenBronx
02-25-2009, 04:48 PM
but for him that is still like 800K+ still not to shabby for minimum work time..

not at all but insurance we could use if ryan "train wreck" torain injures himself again. hillis runs like a mad man on every play, i dont see him staying healthy all year. i think we will wait and see how the draft pans out and sign him late once we see how were doing in cap space.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-25-2009, 04:50 PM
not at all but insurance we could use if ryan "train wreck" torain injures himself again. hillis runs like a mad man on every play, i dont see him staying healthy all year. i think we will wait and see how the draft pans out and sign him late once we see how were doing in cap space.

Let's hope someone else does not sign him first

SmilinAssasSin27
02-25-2009, 05:46 PM
Let em all go. Expansion team is what the 08 Broncos looked like. So who cares if these guys move on? I really don't see how this change can't be for the better.

NameUsedBefore
02-25-2009, 05:52 PM
"I'm definitely a starter. It's my time to be 'the guy,' " [Paymah] said.

*wipes tear from eye*

drewloc
02-25-2009, 06:09 PM
*wipes tear from eye*

I agree, Paymah as a starter is laughable at best.

GEM
02-25-2009, 06:11 PM
There is only one guy in that lot that I really would not want Denver to re-sign and that's Nate Webster.

Tx...I read through that way too quickly and thought you said the one you want them to resign is Nate Webster....I was going to ask you please shut your mouth.

:laugh:

Simple Jaded
02-25-2009, 08:17 PM
Karl Paymah is better than any No2 CB they have right now.......Jack Williams and Josh Bell? Please.......He may not be a starter in the NFL, but he's a starter on the Broncos weakass defense.......

topscribe
02-25-2009, 08:27 PM
Tx...I read through that way too quickly and thought you said the one you want them to resign is Nate Webster....I was going to ask you please shut your mouth.

:laugh:

:jaw: Where are the mods when you need them??

-----