PDA

View Full Version : Cutler's back up

broncofaninfla
02-24-2009, 07:58 AM
I figured I'd open this up to discussion..... who is going to be the back up QB this year? Go with Hack, sign a free agent or draft?

CoachChaz
02-24-2009, 08:07 AM
Stephen McGee...UDFA

Northman
02-24-2009, 08:18 AM
I truly think we need a veteran of some kind. And no, Ramsey doesnt really fit that mold. Im talking more like a Charlie Batch or some guy who has had at least some success in this league and who can help Jay with his maturation process. To put another young guy behind him is ok but is really going to benefit Cutler overall. I think we need some veteran leadership behind him to give him pointers and what not.

CoachChaz
02-24-2009, 09:04 AM
I truly think we need a veteran of some kind. And no, Ramsey doesnt really fit that mold. Im talking more like a Charlie Batch or some guy who has had at least some success in this league and who can help Jay with his maturation process. To put another young guy behind him is ok but is really going to benefit Cutler overall. I think we need some veteran leadership behind him to give him pointers and what not.

Im okay with that, but I'd still like to see McGee as #3 to eventually be the #2.

Although a part of me would like to see him end up on a team where he might actually get a break.

Northman
02-24-2009, 09:05 AM
Im okay with that, but I'd still like to see McGee as #3 to eventually be the #2.

Although a part of me would like to see him end up on a team where he might actually get a break.

Who exactly is that guy? I dont recognize the name.

CoachChaz
02-24-2009, 09:34 AM
Who exactly is that guy? I dont recognize the name.

QB at A&M. (yes, I'm a little bias).

Overview
Few quarterbacks will ever be drafted after starting only three games their senior year, but McGee has the tools worthy of consideration. A fine Texas high school quarterback recruited by several top programs, McGee went to Texas A&M to make his own name. While his statistics under former head coach Dennis Franchione were solid enough to earn NFL attention (60 percent completion rate for 4,606 yards and a 24-10 touchdown-to-interception ratio), McGee was hardly developing into a pro-ready quarterback through Franchione's read-option offense.

With former Green Bay head coach Mike Sherman taking over the helm in 2008, optimism was high that McGee would enjoy a big senior campaign. Then he suffered a torn labrum in his throwing shoulder early in the season, limiting him to only the three starts. A solid week of practice at the East-West Shrine Game - and this year's weak senior class of quarterbacks - could result in McGee earning a surprisingly high grade from some teams who are willing to look past his stunted development and focus on his undeniable tools. Had an arm span of 32 inches and a hand span of 9 inches at the combine.

Analysis
Positives: Legitimate NFL frame. Good toughness. Has absorbed a lot of hits throughout his career and is willing to play through pain. Legitimate arm strength. Good zip on his passes, especially on short and intermediate routes. Flashes the arm strength and trajectory for deep passes with touch over the top. Good athlete who can buy time in the pocket and also make plays as a runner in the open field. Good agility and strength for the position as a runner. Solid week of practice at the East-West Shrine Game offers hope that he can develop with time in a pro-style offense. Excellent intangibles. Natural leader who was voted permanent team captain in 2006. Twice led the Aggies to upset victories over rival Texas.

Negatives: Raw as they come. More of a thrower than a passer at this point. Inconsistent footwork and delivery. Inconsistent accuracy, mostly due to flawed technique. Still acclimating to reading a defense from a passer standpoint. Lacks patience in the pocket and will either run or force passes too often, rather than check down. Needs to be cleared medically due to the torn labrum suffered during his senior year.

Northman
02-24-2009, 09:46 AM
QB at A&M. (yes, I'm a little bias).

Overview
Few quarterbacks will ever be drafted after starting only three games their senior year, but McGee has the tools worthy of consideration. A fine Texas high school quarterback recruited by several top programs, McGee went to Texas A&M to make his own name. While his statistics under former head coach Dennis Franchione were solid enough to earn NFL attention (60 percent completion rate for 4,606 yards and a 24-10 touchdown-to-interception ratio), McGee was hardly developing into a pro-ready quarterback through Franchione's read-option offense.

With former Green Bay head coach Mike Sherman taking over the helm in 2008, optimism was high that McGee would enjoy a big senior campaign. Then he suffered a torn labrum in his throwing shoulder early in the season, limiting him to only the three starts. A solid week of practice at the East-West Shrine Game - and this year's weak senior class of quarterbacks - could result in McGee earning a surprisingly high grade from some teams who are willing to look past his stunted development and focus on his undeniable tools. Had an arm span of 32 inches and a hand span of 9 inches at the combine.

Analysis
Positives: Legitimate NFL frame. Good toughness. Has absorbed a lot of hits throughout his career and is willing to play through pain. Legitimate arm strength. Good zip on his passes, especially on short and intermediate routes. Flashes the arm strength and trajectory for deep passes with touch over the top. Good athlete who can buy time in the pocket and also make plays as a runner in the open field. Good agility and strength for the position as a runner. Solid week of practice at the East-West Shrine Game offers hope that he can develop with time in a pro-style offense. Excellent intangibles. Natural leader who was voted permanent team captain in 2006. Twice led the Aggies to upset victories over rival Texas.

Negatives: Raw as they come. More of a thrower than a passer at this point. Inconsistent footwork and delivery. Inconsistent accuracy, mostly due to flawed technique. Still acclimating to reading a defense from a passer standpoint. Lacks patience in the pocket and will either run or force passes too often, rather than check down. Needs to be cleared medically due to the torn labrum suffered during his senior year.

Sounds pretty promising. Thanks for the info. :beer:

Dirk
02-24-2009, 09:47 AM
Anyone have the write up on Cutler pre-draft? I'm curious what was said about him.

MOtorboat
02-24-2009, 09:48 AM
Tom Brandstater, 7th round, Fresno State. Prototypical Patriots-system quarterback, 6-5, 220.

LRtagger
02-24-2009, 09:51 AM
Here is a list of QB FA's

Kurt Warner, Cardinals. Age: 38.

Matt Cassel, Patriots. Age: 27. Franchised by Patriots

Brett Ratliff (ERFA), Jets. Age: 24.

Kerry Collins, Titans. Age: 36.

Brock Berlin, Rams. Age: 28.

David Carr, Giants. Age: 30. Re-signed with Giants (1 year, $1 million)

Ryan Fitzpatrick, Bengals. Age: 26.

Byron Leftwich, Steelers. Age: 29.

Luke McCown, Buccaneers. Age: 28. Re-signed with Buccaneers (2 years)

Jeff Garcia, Buccaneers. Age: 39.

Charlie Batch, Steelers. Age: 34.

Kyle Boller, Ravens. Age: 28.

Rex Grossman, Bears. Age: 29.

Dan Orlovsky, Lions. Age: 26.

J.P. Losman, Bills. Age: 28.

Joey Harrington, Saints. Age: 30.

Chris Simms, Titans. Age: 29.

Brian St. Pierre, Cardinals. Age: 29.

Jared Lorenzen, Colts. Age: 28.

Brooks Bollinger, Cowboys. Age: 29.

Gibran Hamdan (RFA), Bills. Age: 28.

Tim Rattay, Cardinals. Age: 32.

J.T. O'Sullivan, 49ers. Age: 30.

Charlie Frye, Seahawks. Age: 28.

Patrick Ramsey, Broncos. Age: 30.

Craig Nall, Texans. Age: 30.

Marques Tuiasosopo, Raiders. Age: 30.

Lester Ricard, Panthers. Age: 25.

Ken Dorsey, Browns. Age: 28.

Bruce Gradkowski, Browns. Age: 26. - Signed with Raiders

Todd Bouman, Ravens. Age: 37.

Jamie Martin, 49ers. Age: 39.

Anthony Morelli, Cardinals. Age: 24.

Northman
02-24-2009, 09:59 AM
Hmmm, you know Tim Rattay wouldnt be a bad backup. He seemed to do ok when he filled in in SF.

SoCalImport
02-24-2009, 11:28 AM
On that list I see (1)Batch and (2)Rattay. Either one would be cool, but Batch gets the nod due to the fact that I've actually seen him play once or twice.

Rattay's #s aren't bad though
"To date, in 37 games, including 18 starts, Rattay has completed 429-of-711 passes in his career for 4,848 yards with 31 touchdowns and 23 interceptions for a passer rating of 80.4."

Northman
02-24-2009, 11:32 AM
On that list I see (1)Batch and (2)Rattay. Either one would be cool, but Batch gets the nod due to the fact that I've actually seen him play once or twice.

Rattay's #s aren't bad though
"To date, in 37 games, including 18 starts, Rattay has completed 429-of-711 passes in his career for 4,848 yards with 31 touchdowns and 23 interceptions for a passer rating of 80.4."

Yea, and i like the fact that both those guys have seen the good and bad when it comes to being "the guy" and then not being the guy. So there really is no ego there to get in the way. Just seem like total team guys who are willing to do what it takes to help any way possible.

Superchop 7
02-24-2009, 12:38 PM
Out of that list I would probably want Matt Gutierrez.

turftoad
02-24-2009, 01:26 PM
I think Ramsey is just fine but you never know what McKid is going to do. New offense, new coach's etc.. etc..

NameUsedBefore
02-24-2009, 01:39 PM
Any of these would be okay with me,

turftoad
02-24-2009, 02:33 PM

Frye or O'Sullivan would be OK but not the other two.

Bollinger is a career clip board holder.

Fan in Exile
02-24-2009, 03:36 PM
I really hope that by now we've gotten to the point that Cutler doesn't need a veteran to hold his hand. That means that we can pick up a later draft replacement and save some cash for the defense.

Magnificent Seven
02-24-2009, 03:53 PM
I think Ramsey is just fine but you never know what McKid is going to do. New offense, new coach's etc.. etc..

No Freakin' Way!!!! We couldn't stand Ramsey! He is 100% pure horrible passer and he is easy to get sacked. I am not happy with Broncos' back up QB.

I like Darrell Hackney and I agreed with Northman. Charlie Batch is a good back up QB. However, I would like to have Mark Brunell... but He entered the 2008 season as the backup to Drew Brees.

D1g1tal j1m
02-24-2009, 04:41 PM
Sign one of the UFA after the Draft.
Have a young QB to groom as the backup. The Pats drafted Matt as the backup and developed him that way. He learned the system and when called upon he was ready. A vet is not necessary as Cutler doesn't need one to babysit for him anymore.

turftoad
02-24-2009, 05:14 PM
No Freakin' Way!!!! We couldn't stand Ramsey! He is 100% pure horrible passer and he is easy to get sacked. I am not happy with Broncos' back up QB.

I like Darrell Hackney and I agreed with Northman. Charlie Batch is a good back up QB. However, I would like to have Mark Brunell... but He entered the 2008 season as the backup to Drew Brees.

Brunell?? He's older than the hills. He was once very productive but not anymore.

The guy needs a walker.

Magnificent Seven
02-24-2009, 06:27 PM

J.T. O'Sullivan sucks, too. He threw many interceptions and he got benched often.

BRONCOSFREAK765
02-25-2009, 04:02 AM
Please no Rex Grossman.

broncofaninfla
02-25-2009, 10:16 AM
I wouldn't mind a vetern like McCown and a rookie TBD. I feel it's time to have 3 QB's again. Cutler, a solid back up and a young guy to develop.

broncophan
02-25-2009, 10:43 AM
Well...............I don't see where Cutler has done anything so far in his short career, to have earned the starting job:eek:.............but as long as we have a solid veteran qb.......I would be happy.;)

WARHORSE
02-25-2009, 11:14 AM
Pat White

BroncoTech
02-25-2009, 08:00 PM
I'd stick with Hackney. Garcia caught my eye on the FA list but is too old.

topscribe
02-25-2009, 08:08 PM
Trent Green and John Huard were just released. I'm not sure I would be so
disappointed if one of them ended up behind Cutler. Either could provide some
veteran leadership and dependable backup support, I would think.

-----

Simple Jaded
02-25-2009, 08:41 PM
The Broncos need a veteran like Trent Dilfer to back Cutler, the problem is there are none to be had, maybe Joey Harrington would fit but he's still pretty young and 99% of his experience has been bad.

Ramsey and Hackney provide next to nothing, imo, so something has to happen.

No3 QB/Practice Squad Dark Horse: Chase Patton, Matt Cassell V2.0.......