PDA

View Full Version : Why are some players "inactive"?

sneakers
01-08-2012, 01:10 PM
If you have a 53 person roster, why can't everyone be available to play?

Medford Bronco
01-08-2012, 03:50 PM
The CBA allows you only to dress 45 players per week I think. Those extra guys are usually special teamers or other guys that are on the fringe of the roster. This is different from the practice squad players.

I am no expert but this is what I think the rule is.

OrangeHoof
01-08-2012, 03:59 PM
Close. Teams can only do three things with an active player - keep them on the roster, waive them or put them on IR. The inactive list is meant as a place to put players who are too hurt to play but not hurt badly enough to place on IR and lose them for the season. Likely it was a CBA compromise between the roster size the owners wanted and the roster size the union wanted.

Medford Bronco
01-08-2012, 04:00 PM
Close. Teams can only do three things with an active player - keep them on the roster, waive them or put them on IR. The inactive list is meant as a place to put players who are too hurt to play but not hurt badly enough to place on IR and lose them for the season. Likely it was a CBA compromise between the roster size the owners wanted and the roster size the union wanted.

Thank you, I was kind of fishing around on that one. :lol: It was a guess but knew it was CBA related.

WTE
01-08-2012, 04:21 PM
The CBA signed after the lockout now allows 46 active instead of 45 as the third qb rule no longer exists. Teams can now make the 3rd qb inactive and dress another position player.

BTW, I think the first year expansion Texans were allowed to dress more than the league mandated 45 players during their first few games.