PDA

View Full Version : Offense > Defense

CrazyHorse
01-07-2012, 11:16 PM
Looking at the teams in the playoffs I can tell you one thing. I want a dominant offense. I could care less about defense. You can't win games unless you score points. The old adage that defense wins championships is no longer true. Especially with the new rules put in to protect players.

Northman
01-07-2012, 11:19 PM
Still need defense but one thing is for certain. With a strong offense you put pressure on the opponent to keep up which then leads up to turnovers for your defense.

I Eat Staples
01-07-2012, 11:22 PM
Yeah, the NFL has ruined (changed) the game with "player safety" rules that put defenses at tremendous disadvantages.

CrazyHorse
01-07-2012, 11:23 PM
Yeah, the NFL has ruined (changed) the game with "player safety" rules that put defenses at tremendous disadvantages.

Yes, or as I like to call it, the continued pussification of the NFL.

jhildebrand
01-07-2012, 11:30 PM
You'll want a defense when it comes to the Super Bowl.

Northman
01-07-2012, 11:33 PM
You'll want a defense when it comes to the Super Bowl.

Didnt really help Pitt all that much.

red98
01-07-2012, 11:37 PM
Didnt really help Pitt all that much.

Worked out well for GB though.

When people say defense wins championships they mean you need a defense that can get you a stop when you need it.

Detroit is probably wishing they had that kind of defense right now after the Saints scored 5 straight TDs on them. And Detroit has a great offense.

Northman
01-07-2012, 11:40 PM
Worked out well for GB though.

When people say defense wins championships they mean you need a defense that can get you a stop when you need it.

Detroit is probably wishing they had that kind of defense right now after the Saints scored 5 straight TDs on them. And Detroit has a great offense.

But GB also has a great offense. More offense than defense. Same thing happened to Denver in 97-98. We averaged 35 points a game and our defense was opportunistic. Offense put pressure on the opponent to make plays but yet they made mistakes. The last time it was reversed was in 2002 and 2000. Sadly, we dont have either.

red98
01-07-2012, 11:54 PM
But GB also has a great offense. More offense than defense. Same thing happened to Denver in 97-98. We averaged 35 points a game and our defense was opportunistic. Offense put pressure on the opponent to make plays but yet they made mistakes. The last time it was reversed was in 2002 and 2000. Sadly, we dont have either.

Defense still wins championships. GB's offense was ranked 10th in scoring last year, PITT was 12. A difference of .8 points per game.

When both teams have great offenses it's the team whose defense can get the stop that wins.

Agree the broncos have neither. No way I want us to be like NE though as the OP suggests.

sunbeam
01-08-2012, 12:28 AM
Yes, or as I like to call it, the continued pussification of the NFL.

I've always wondered about this. Why was it ok for the defense to be aggressive in the old days but not the offense?

They should have let offensive linemen use the whole tool kit defensive linemen used. Head slap, hold, whatever. Clips and other wimp penalties just slowed the game down.

And the receivers should have been allowed to take shots like Jack Tatum and others used to.

It'd be another way to turn up scoring.

Ok, that's a joke. Sort of. I actually think offensive line would be a lot more fun to play this way though.

I think the rules are there because of the whole concussion issue. Sooner or later we are going to see a big lawsuit about that whole thing. It will be an interesting, expensive fight, and the NFL might well lose.

Clipworthy
01-08-2012, 12:36 AM
When both teams have great offenses it's the team whose defense can get the stop that wins.

http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu201/orthoboric/kablamo.jpg

HORSEPOWER 56
01-08-2012, 08:25 AM
Yes, everyone got to see a dazzling display of offense from the Saints yesterday. What everyone failed to mention was the dazzling display of DEFENSE put on by Houston vs Cincy. In the second half of that game, Cincy couldn't do anything on offense. It didn't matter who was on the field.

It takes balance. You must have a defense that can get stops and force turnovers. For how good the Colts and Saints offenses were the years they both won the Superbowl and even when they played each other, it was their defenses that cemented the wins for them. Just like GB last year. How does GB win without 3 turnovers one of them returned for a score?

Your defense doesn't have to hold the other team to no points and it really doesn't matter how many yards they give up (I really hate that stat for ranking defenses). It matters that they can make critical stops when needed and force turnovers. Turnovers are way more than just an extra possession for an offense, they are a momentum killer for the other team and a huge booster for your own. When we were on our 6 game winning streak, we were getting those turnovers. If we can do it vs Pittsburgh, we've got a good shot to win today.

silkamilkamonico
01-08-2012, 02:00 PM
offense has ruled defense in nfl for quite some time

last year rodger sliced and diced 3 top 10 defenses, all on the road, on his way to superbowl mvp, and he did it with scrub running game.

you need offense, and you need a qb that knows how to put points on the board, period.

hamrob
01-08-2012, 02:06 PM
I want both. A top 10 offense, a top 10 defense. I think that's achievable next year.

Denver Offense: 23rd
Denver Defense: 20th

If we get this team in the top 10 of both......Look out!

red98
01-08-2012, 03:11 PM
offense has ruled defense in nfl for quite some time

last year rodger sliced and diced 3 top 10 defenses, all on the road, on his way to superbowl mvp, and he did it with scrub running game.

you need offense, and you need a qb that knows how to put points on the board, period.

The number 1 scoring defense lost to the number 2 scoring defense in the Super Bowl last year but you keep telling yourself only offense matters.

red98
01-08-2012, 03:48 PM
you need offense, and you need a qb that knows how to put points on the board,...

I do agree with this part, it's just you need a D and some running game too.

Joel
01-08-2012, 03:55 PM
The difference between the Texans teams that struggled to get to .500 and never made the playoffs and the team that beat Cincy yesterday is one word: Defence. Living in Austin I saw them play a LOT of great offensive games and lose because they had NO secondary; yesterday they had three picks, the first of which proved the difference in the game. That broke a 10-10 tie they took to the locker room and gave them their first lead of the game; that they blew Cincy out in the second half had a lot to do with 40 yd TDs from Foster and Johnson, but also a lot to do with holding Cincy scoreless for the final two quarters.

You need both, about equally.

Medford Bronco
01-08-2012, 04:19 PM
Looking at the teams in the playoffs I can tell you one thing. I want a dominant offense. I could care less about defense. You can't win games unless you score points. The old adage that defense wins championships is no longer true. Especially with the new rules put in to protect players.

Once Bill Polian cried about the illegal contact crap and Brady got his knee blown out in 08 it has never been the same. Video game offense, (not for the better IMO)

Medford Bronco
01-08-2012, 04:20 PM
The difference between the Texans teams that struggled to get to .500 and never made the playoffs and the team that beat Cincy yesterday is one word: Defence. Living in Austin I saw them play a LOT of great offensive games and lose because they had NO secondary; yesterday they had three picks, the first of which proved the difference in the game. That broke a 10-10 tie they took to the locker room and gave them their first lead of the game; that they blew Cincy out in the second half had a lot to do with 40 yd TDs from Foster and Johnson, but also a lot to do with holding Cincy scoreless for the final two quarters.

You need both, about equally.

With the losing Mario Williams and doing this is remarkable. Kubiak should get coach of the year but probably wont

silkamilkamonico
01-08-2012, 04:44 PM
The number 1 scoring defense lost to the number 2 scoring defense in the Super Bowl last year but you keep telling yourself only offense matters.

What was the score of the SuperBowl? 31-25? And those were the top 2 scoring defenses? Some "defense".

Offense > Defense

red98
01-08-2012, 08:22 PM
What was the score of the SuperBowl? 31-25? And those were the top 2 scoring defenses? Some "defense".

Offense > Defense

Good point! But don't change a thing!

Joel
01-08-2012, 09:13 PM
With the losing Mario Williams and doing this is remarkable. Kubiak should get coach of the year but probably wont
Not only minus Mario Williams, but I'm not sure Schaub and Andre Johnson played a full game together all year (plus, IIRC, they lost Arian Foster for about a month, too.) Yet if the refs hadn't given Indy and Tennessee a big helping hand they'd be 12-4. I still think they match up best against GB when healthy: Great passing, great running, great secondary, great LBs vs. great passing and great LBs. If they can keep everyone under contract (though the way Barwin's played the might let Williams walk for more money) they'll be a terror next season, and could win the rematch with Baltimore next week if Yates doesn't buckle under the pressure.

All that said, John Fox might get the nod over Kubes for coach of the year (for one thing, the biggest reason for Houstons turnaround is Wade Phillips and defensive free agents.) The Lions and '9ers have made some pretty big strides, too.